bkecky

Member since: 23.06.2009

User that trust you
      22.12.2010 14:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Hoping this years Soap & Glory set will have some in!

I have just come home from university for Christmas and as I couldn't cart everything four hours away to the other side of the country, I got out some of last years Christmas beauty products that I hadn't yet opened. I had run out of facial wipes (I'm quite loyal to my facial wipes!) and found this to substitute until I could wade through the snow to the supermarket.

The packaging is the usual soap and glory, feminine and retro and generally very eye-catching. This cleanser is very milky and the consistency is runnier than I expected. I didn't have the full size as I got it in last year's Soap & Glory gift set. This isn't a wipe off cleanser. You massage it in and then rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and moisturise. It is supposed to have oils and acid-free exfoliator in it. It does say not to over-exfoliate on the back, which I was confused about after it didn't appear to be abrasive. But not being one to follow the rules I have used it over the past four days anyway.

For some reason my skin had took a turn for the worst whilst being at uni and I was dreading the Christmas party season (turned out alright as the parties were cancelled due to snow!). After one day of using this, I noticed my skin was a lot smoother and my pores didn't seem to be as wide. Being lazy after I came back from the pub on the second day I applied and wiped it off rather than rinsing. An actually it didn't appear to have any bad effect on my skin. In fact now my skin is clear after four days of using it. It feels much softer too. I am surprised at the effect as I thought that it would irritate my skin as it isn't that expensive. May be making a little room to take this back to uni with me!

22.12.2010 14:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

Will buy it everytime I want something to get me through the assignments!

Being a student again means that I rarely buy expensive or branded food products anymore. I usually stick with squash but during those intensive assignment periods, a quick break to get a glass of squash could run the risk of running into someone else in the house and being distracted for the rest of the afternoon! Much more safe to surround with ready to eat and drink products and not leave the room until the assignment is done (except for toilet breaks, obviously!).

Cherryade is a favourite of mine from when I was a child and my mum used to buy it. I can't remember which brand she bought but this 45p bottle from Tesco tastes exactly like I remember. The sugarfree element is the big seller for me, as being stationary at a desk does enough expanding to my waist line without me adding to it. I suppose it may not be sweet enough for some tastes but I drink Diet Coke because normal Coke is too sweet so bear that in mind when I say it's great tasting!

The colour is a little garish and I suppose no cherryaid actually tastes like cherries! But as far as Cherryade goes this is just as good as any other product you will buy. The taste doesn't seem to have been compromised by the lack of sugar and it's lovely and fizzy and great straight from the fridge.

I also drink it with vodka and ice or sometimes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some maraschino cherries to make it into a cherry float.

There is not really a lot to complain about. A good standard product from Tesco that won't break the bank or expand your waistline!

• amazon.co.uk / Online Shop / 10 Readings / 8 Ratings
        22.12.2010 14:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

This might just put me off Amazon.

I have used Amazon.co.uk on quite a few occasions. I rarely use them for the used products but often find for text books and the like it is usually a few pounds cheaper than if I head to my overlypriced uni shop. So it's basically a huge department store online and you can buy things new from them or used from other sellers (you can sell things yourself as well). I am sure most people are fairly familiar with the concept.

So on every occasion I have used Amazon, my delivery has been correct and prompt. However I made the error of ordering on the day before the snow came to Bournemouth. I ordered three German text books as there was an offer of 3 for 2 (started well!). Payment went through fine and I received my confirmation email telling me that they would arrive within 5 working days. I wasn't expecting miracles when the snow arrived and expected my delivery within a time frame of more like 7 working days. So I patiently waited.

9 days later...
        My order still has not made an appearance. I asked all my housemates, the neighbours, rang the depot. Nothing. So I decide to write an email enquiring where my order is. It was not easy to find where to send an email to a person. I was bombarded with links to FAQs telling me to check neighbours etc. After 10 minutes of saying "no you still haven't solved my problem", I finally found a link.

11 days later...
        Still no reponse from customer service. Starting to worry now as I will be heading back home for Christmas and the student house will be empty should it arrive. I call Amazon (from a mobile so additional cost for the ridiculous waiting time) and I get a man who was very polite and tells me that there is a backlog of deliveries from the carrier and that this particular carrier does not have a tracking system. So I explain my dilemma that I will soon be leaving on 15th. I was told if it hadn't been delivered by 16th I shoul contact them again. All very well but I explained again that I was leaving 15th so if I'm not there I won't know if it's been delivered. Once again, if it hasn't been delivered by the 16th I only suggest...By this point I was getting annoyed. So I explained once again. This seemed to get through and he said if I haven't received it by 15th then to call back and they will send my parcel to my new address by First Class Royal Mail.

I receive an email from him after I have put the phone down, which said "If you haven't received your delivery by 16th..." and also said my parcel was delivered by Royal Mail! Right, I'll wait.

18 days later...
        Still no parcel so sent another email using the link providing on the customer service email. This time not so nice.

20 days later...
        Still no reply from customer service. Will probably have to give them yet another call. Just glad these aren't Christmas presents. I would have really thought 14 days would have been enough to get a parcel through even in snow. Could really do without this stress around this time of year.

Overall a terrible experience and a very robotic customer service. Promises were made that weren't fulfilled and they can't even be bothered to respond to me. I will update this review when I finally receive my parcel (or not as the case may be!!!)

18.10.2010 16:42

Advantages

Disadvantages

I will continue to buy this cream.

My grandmother and mother always warned me about Clinique products, saying that they caused their skin to break out in a rash and that they are not for sensitive skins. Clearly my skin is either a lot more resiliant or Clinique have cleaned up their act since the years ago that they both tried them. I first read about this cream in a magazine and it had been very highly rated. So I decided to give it a go.

When I got to the counter I was absoloutely overwhelmed by the amount of lotions and potions and couldn't seem to find the product I wanted. They all seem to have pretty similar packaging and the mass of silver lids didn't do much to help me. Luckily the assistant came to my rescue and bombarded me with a number of options until I got what I think was the cream I had read about. She didn't seem to give me any advice or anything or even question whether the cream was right for my skin. But I went away happy with my oily/oily combination night cream.

The bit on the back of the pot states:
        "Allergy tested. 100% fragrance free...Next generation technology moistirses, helps build visible lifting and firming cushion, fuelled by a unique Retinal/Peptide Complex. Enhances skin's natural ability to generate a structural Type 1 collagen. Helps empower skin to 'defy' gravity. Apply dilligently every night to face, throat."

Well only about half of that made sense to me and the claims of defying gravity seemed a bit much. But I slapped it on anyway.

I found that it didn't feel too heavy for a nightcream and sank in quite quickly (whether this was down to my skin being desperate for a bit of moisture, I don't know).

The next day my skin felt very soft and seemed to be a little tighter. I put on the Superdefence daycream and later on in the day my housemate said how good my skin looked and how fresh I looked. So obviously it had done something. I was impressed that after one use I looked more radiant. I can't really comment on the anti-wrinkle side of things as I haven't really developed any yet. This is more of a precautionary measure but they say the skin starts to age mid twenties.

Overall I am very impressed with the cream and I will continue to buy it. It does carry a hefty price tag but it seems to be worth it and I can feel the difference from cheaper night creams. Now it's just a case of being able to identify the same cream when I next go!

• Benefit CORALista / Make Up / 18 Readings / 15 Ratings
          18.10.2010 15:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice fresh blusher

I bought this from my local House of Fraser Benefit counter and I have to say after seeing the prices advertised on here from Amazon, I wish I had checked there first! But an impulse buy is an impulse buy.

I have bought Benefit's blushers before in Hula and Georgia Peach and I have always found they give you a real healthy glow and last for ages (probably an unhealthy amount of time considering all the warnings about using out of date cosmetics)! They all come in different little boxes, which are actually quite sturdy. I was expecting that the lid would come off in my handbag but not as yet. The packaging is very tropical with a pink leopard print flower shape in the middle, surrounding by turquoise and purple patters. The powder also doesn't seem to crumble as much as other blushers/bronzers. The brush that is included ha stiffer bristles than you might expect from a blusher brush and it is also quite thin and wide. I am guessing the purpose of this is to fix the box and aid with cheek contouring. Although I haven't quite mastered the art of this.

As with most Benefit products, it smells lovely and the colour is beautifully vibrant. When I tested it on my hand in the shop it seemed more pink than coral but I have found that if I am tanned it is more coral than when I am pale, when it appears more pinkish. It is quite strong though and sticks to the bristles well so don't go overboard with sweeping it backwards and forwards over the powder before application if you have pale skin, like me. I find gently blowing on the brush or sweeping it over the back of my and first gets rid of any excess to avoid looking as if I've just run a marathon. You can layer it up as you wish and it blends well.

My only criticism is that it doesn't seem to last all day. I need to reapply around lunch time. Whether this is due to my skin type, I'm not sure. If I'm going out I usually put more on so that it has more staying power. It definitely stays in my handbag though.

Considering the time it lasts, I think it is worth the price. So many blushers I have had before have cracked and crumbled but this one seems to stand the test of time.

18.10.2010 15:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

Easy reading, but don't expect too much

I bought this book for £2 from Tesco in their book sale and I have to say that I am glad I didn't pay full price for it! I bought it for some light holiday reading, which I suppose it was but it did struggle to hold my attention. I had high hopes due to the praise of the hilarity of it all and quite enjoyed Millington's Guardian writing. But for me it really didn't make the cut.

The story is about Pel, an Englishman who gets caught up in the politics and pitfalls of his "promotions" and how he winds up in a rather tricky situation with a Chinese gang. Pel lives with his German girlfriend, Ursula, who is rather to the point and hasn't quite mastered the intricacies of English etiquette. She wants to move from the area they are in because it's unsafe and there are appearances of their arguments based upon this.

The main reason I picked this book was because I expected from the title and blurb for it to be more about the relationship between Pel and Ursula and be a humorous account of the difficulties of they faced with their cultural differences. Instead it mostly focuses on Pel and mostly portrays Ursula as a side line to the main plot, which revolves around his job. Ursula makes the odd nagging appearance and even then I found it mundane. I found myself skim reading the book just to get to the end of it and I can't really say that the ending was worth the effort.

It was easy reading and there were parts that I found very funny but I just wish that the book had been more towards what the title suggested and that he had tried less to be constantly funny and moved the plot along a little faster. I thought I would relate to this book having been in a German/English relationship but I just couldn't and felt it was an exagerrated steriotype. I also couldn't connect to any of the characters. I found Pel sloppy and at times arrogant and his friends made such fleeting appearances, I couldn't get used to any of them.

However this is just my opinion and a few others who I passed this on to really enjoyed it. Maybe I am just too defensive of the Germans!

• dorothyperkins.co.uk / Online Shop / 24 Readings / 23 Ratings
            01.08.2010 11:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

Would use them again for sale periods

In a couple of weeks I am off on my holidays, which is quite a perfect time to be going because we are between seasons and this means I can get some summer dress bargains. I am signed up to the Dorothy Perkins email, and although I am not usually a fan of shopping for clothes online (I find sending things back a hassle, it doesn't always look like what you thought it would, I'm not one standard size, can't see the quality etc.), when they sent me the online only sale I thought I would just take a look in case there had been anything I had seen in store on sale. I have used the site many times before, mainly to see what is available for when I go into the shop or for inspiration, but I had never previously bought anything.

The site is quite simplistic in black and white and very easy to navigate. The navigation bar offers a series of options that when you hover over them produce a more detailed list of which pages you can view. This makes it very easy to find immediately what you are looking for because the clothes are all sectioned into type. The only issue I found with this was that trousers and shorts were put into the same category. This was a bit annoying because I only wanted shorts for my holiday but instead had to trawl through pages of trousers (only for sale pages).

When you click on a page it also allows you to filter through the type of clothing you have selected. So for example in "Shirts & Blouses" you can filter the products down to "Smart Shirts", "Casual Shirts", "Blouses", "2 £14 Shirts For £25" and "Sale - Final Reductions". Of course there is the option to view all the products as well.

The only problem came with the sales items. The filters weren't so great. You could filter by type of item or by size. Neither of these really suited me as when I clicked on item (i.e. dresses) it had no size filter so I was constantly disappointed by seeing these lovely dresses at even better prices and clicking on them only to find they only have size 8 or size 16. This also made the site more time consuming to use. I also couldn't filter out the type of dress but that didn't bother me too much.

The site also offers you a blog and a Looks and Features section, which offers inspiration and recommended pieces for the latest trends. My only criticism is that they don't get updated very often except seemingly at the beginning of a new season.

In the end my online shopping trip was quite successful. I managed to get 4 dresses, one playsuit and a pair of sunglasses for £75 with free delivery (orders over £75 only). I was very impressed with the sale prices and 4 of the dresses were from the brand range. I even got a branded strapless, floral, tulip dress for £10! It was worth all the trawling through!

The delivery arrived within two days. I did have a little concern because I placed the order in the morning and had an email in the afternoon saying it had been dispatched. However I waited a further couple of days before it arrived (I ordered on a Monday so no weekend days). However when it did arrive I was very impressed with the dresses but found the play suit to be of quite poor quality. However as I only paid £15 and can't be bothered to send it back I will use it as a lounging item of my wardrobe.

Overall my shopping experience was good and very fruitful but I think they could sort out some size filters on the sale items because it would take much less time and half way through I felt like giving up. If I wasn't so desperate for holiday clothing I would have and they would have lost a sale. I would use the online shopping option again but probably only during sale times.

29.05.2010 17:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Have a great summer!

I am going to bypass passport and tickets obviously!

1. Camera
            This has got to be on most people's list. I usually end up taking hundreds of photos and it helps me come to terms with the post holiday blues.

2. Sun cream
            Being fair skinned this is so important, otherwise I would never be able to step foot outside! I also love that when I return my skin is so soft from constantly applying it over the course of the holiday.

3. iPod and iPod dock
            Essential for travelling to the destination. My trusty iPod has gotten me through many a long journey. I like creating holiday playlists to get me in the mood and as well as preventing me from getting bored on the way, it also acts as a noise blocker so I can catch some extra sleep on the journey and get there quicker. I have a playlist for sending me to sleep and I use this every time so I can wake up refreshed and the journey doesn't seem half as bad. The speakers act as a charger and also for playing some music when getting ready to go out at night.

4. Sunglasses
            Sounds obvious but have you ever turned up at your sunny destination without them? Such a pain and makes for a very uncomfortable holiday! You could of course buy some when you get there...

5. Dry Shampoo
            In the heat my hair seems to get greasy at the roots no matter how many times I wash it. This can take me through to the evening without having to wash it twice a day.

6. Fake tan
            As I mentioned I am very pale. There is nothing worse than looking around me and seeing bronzed gods and godesses everywhere so I fake it. I just wish it wasn't so time consuming to apply!

7. Sewing kit
            You never know when your favourite dress might break or if you eat too much and pop a button. Also the mini scissors come in handy.

8. Hair bands
            Nothing worse than being hot and sweaty with long hair sticking to your back. Bleurgh!

9. Mini fan
            I cannot stand being too hot and although it makes me look like a tourist, I don't care because I am comfortable!

10. A guidebook
            Good to have a map at hand and have a little bit of advice for your first few days. I like the Lonely Planet ones as they tend to tell you a bit more than just the main tourist attractions.

• Tesco Value Tortilla Chips / Snacks / 44 Readings / 42 Ratings
              17.04.2010 10:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

One of those times when buying value really is a worthwhile option

At 25p per 100g I cannot say that there is much to dislike about this product. We are big nacho consumers in our house and we usually get some to share every time we go into a pub but nowadays these seem to be just tortilla chips with cheese, salsa, soured cream and if you are really lucky some jalapenos. So we have now taken to doing our own at home but don't really want to be ripped off by those nacho kits that cost a fortune and offer just the chips and salsa. So this was our solution!

These tortilla chips are actually not bad at all. I mean there is not really a lot you can do with a lightly salted tortilla chip so this is one of the occasions when I feel buying value pays off.

The packaging is your bog standard Tesco Value red, white and blue bag. One thing I do like is that the bag is actually full! I hate buying a big bag to discover half of it is full of air. Tesco does not try to fool you on this and shows you inside the bag with a little plastic window.

I don't know if this is just me cramming my shopping into the boot but they always seem a little more broken up than other tortilla chips. This doesn't really bother me so much until I get down to the bottom of the plate and am left with a crumby soured cream/salsa mess that I can't really eat with my hands (Ok, I admit I have done on one of two lonely Friday nights in!). I think it doesn't help that the tortilla chips aren't as large in surface area than other brands such as Dorito's, which are made for dipping. But let's be honest you're going to break them up in your mouth anyway so I suppose it depends on how fussy you are.

The taste is standard for lightly salted although they are perhaps a little too salty for me. They are not greasy either, which makes eating a little less messy.

I don't really buy any other tortilla chips now. These do the job for a fraction of the price and my complaints are very minor. Microwave them with some grated cheese, add guacamole, salsa, soured cream and jalapenos and you have a great tv night snack. Or serve them alongside some chilli con carne and soured cream. Delicious!

• applestore.co.uk / Online Shop / 22 Readings / 22 Ratings
                17.04.2010 09:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

Will be using them again, for sure!

As I am not a huge chocolate fan, I am allowed to choose a present for Easter instead and as my family don't do things by halves it is always a decent present. I had left my old ipod (which had actually lasted a few years rather than all the previous ones that had broken around the one year mark) at a friends house who couldn't be bothered to look for it before she went home to Finland for a month and I was lost without it. My job is the most tedious job and the journey takes two hours commute so I was missing it badly. I decided to look what was on offer as I am not really up-to-date on new Apple products and I did this online with the Apple store. I fell in love with the new iPod Nanos and decided this was to be my Easter present. They really have come a long way since I last bought mine.

I should tell you that the website is actually apple.com, which will then automatically take you to a UK version of the site, and not apple.co.uk as the title says.

The site is really smart and modern. Not too much going on that you are overwhelmed. The navigation header allows you access to the "store", "Mac", "iPod", "iPhone", "iPad", "iTunes" and "support" areas of the site. So immediately you are aware of where you need to go. However I was confused as I wanted to buy an iPod but would I need to go to the store or the iPod pages? I decided to go through the iPod bit. Here the navigation header offered me the different products with an accompanying picture, which was good as I wasn't really sure of all the diferent products available.

In the Nano section it gave me lots of different options to look at the various features of the new Nano, complete with some videos and demonstrations. The white background of the page looked stunning with the brightly coloured Nanos and it really made the page fresh and bright. There was also an option to compare models but I particularly wanted the Nike+ feature so I knew that my options were limited. Unfortunately the site did tell me all the information but I actually had to detour back to the store to actually purchase it. The different sections from the home page are actually just information, demonstrations and comparisons rather than somewhere you can "Add to basket".

So I happily went back to the store and added my iPod along with the fitness pack. I was impressed that they also engraved your iPod for free. The ordering process was really easy. I was having this sent to my grandma's work address in her name so it was good to be able to add a different invoice and delivery address and her work address is so long that usually I have to abbreviate everything or omit lines and pray it still gets there but Apple left enough room to write the full address. The confirmation email was prompt and I was provided with a tracking number the morning.

I ordered this on the Sunday and by Tuesday morning it was on her desk when she arrived into work. I was so impressed with their service. It said 24 hour delivery and that is exactly what it was (obviously being a Sunday it was a little longer but they obviously got the order out straight away!). I always do worry a little bit when ordering online that they may not delivery but I will not have any concerns about Apple again.

It was packaged securely and well and it also didn't give away that it was an iPod inside, which is good for security.

Overall I would feel confident with using them again. The website was easy for me to use but for those who are not used to buying online I feel that it might be too much in a small space and to be honest my father or grandparents wouldn't have had a chance!

If you know the product you are after I would really recommend ordering online because it is hassle free and saves you the waiting around in the shop. A completely painless experience!

17.04.2010 08:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product that I would buy regularly if they lowered the price a bit

I don't usually buy No7 products, to be honest. I pretty much stop at the highlighter. I think it is a little expensive for what they are and I also find the packaging quite dull so it never really stands out for me. However with the summer holidays coming up, I was browsing the Boots website and looking at the best products that customers had recommended and here I found the leg oil.

I have to say that an oil is not something I have really used before. Being pale, I fake tan so oils tend to remove it and I am usually better sticking with a shimmery cream. However I thought I would give this a go because it was so highly rated.

The packaging did now excite me one bit and in fact I had to really look for this product on the shelf as all the No7 packaging looks the same really. It was on my second trip back to the shelf, just to ensure I hadn't missed it that I found it. It comes in a peach plastic bottle with a pump dispenser. I have to say that I thought they could have made the bottle a bit bigger! I was looking for a more substantial bottle so I was quite surprised at how small it was.

I decided to try it out that night as I was going out. I went in the shower, shaved my legs and used a wash off fake tan. I let the tan soak in for about 15 minutes before applying the leg oil. When I pumped it into my hand it was literally like sparkly olive oil but with a lighter consistency! It was a lovely peach colour with tiny specks of golden shimmer in it. When I smoothed it on, it did take off a bit of my tan but I simply massaged it in with the oil so it was even again. You would think that it would make the legs look greasy but actually once it had sunk in my legs did resemble something from the red carpet with not a speck of unnatural glitter in sight. My legs looked leaner and longer (from the light reflective properties) and oh so silky smooth!

A small criticism would be that this didn't last all night and they did dull down but the next day my legs were increadibly soft and smooth. A little prduct did seem to go a long way but it was when I came to do my thighs that it seemed to require a substantial amount more product.

For smoothing benefits and appearance, this product is great. My criticisms are that it is really pricey for what it is. It isn't really what I would call a necessary product for my beauty regime but the effect is a little addictive and although I won't be using this all the time I think it may be a summer night treat for holidays. It really does make your legs look better and with those shorts and mini skirts coming back out I will take all the help I can get!

• SlimFast / Diet & Weight Loss / 24 Readings / 23 Ratings
                    16.04.2010 21:03

Advantages

Disadvantages

Perfect or my purpose

Before going into the review of this diet I should probably inform you that I am not overweight so I can only really comment on how it has affected me and you should probably bear in mind that on an overweight person, the effects of Slim Fast would be much greater than with me.

The reason why I chose Slim Fast is that I had used the programme before. In a time when I was a little overweight I used Slim Fast to lose weight and I did keep it off. So with the summer holidays looming and wanting to get into last years wardrobe and not buy a whole new wardrobe, I thought I would give it a try again just to shed those few winter pounds.

Slim Fast is a meal replacement programme, meaning you substitute two meals a day with a Slim Fast product and then have three snacks of fruit or a special Slim Fast snack and a 600 calorie evening meal. The products have vitamins and nutrients in them so you don't need to stock up on multi-vitamins as two of the products with some fruit should cover you.

Since I last did this diet a few years back they have changed the rules slightly. They used to suggest three snacks under 100 calories but I presume the marketing department wanted to sell more snacks so decided to no longer push that as an option. I still think it is better to have your own snacks though, as the Slim Fast products are not cheap and sometimes I fancy something a bit more exciting than a piece of fruit.

The Slim Fast meal replacements consist of either a milkshake or a bar (I miss the pasta and soup products they used to do). I chose the milkshakes so I can't really comment on the range of meal bars. The milkshakes come in a variety of flavours: strawberry, banana, forest fruits, chocolate, vanilla and cafe latte. My favourite for the morning is a cafe latte with a chocolate for lunch. The shakes can be purchased individually, in a pack of six or you can buy a tub of powder to mix your own with skimmed milk. Personally I think the individual shakes taste better and I hated the powdery ones because they did taste, well...powdery! They are quite delicious but best after being in the fridge. The chocolate one taste a bit like those Frijj milkshakes and I find that I do actually look forward to them.

The pros:
                    There is no issue with portion control. I know what I am going to have and I can't go overboard with the portions.

I enjoy not having to prepare food and it is great to have a shake at work like a drink and then have the entire lunch hour to do what I want!

They taste nice and thick and sweet.

600 calories is quite a lot for a meal so you can at least have one really satisfying meal and if you are going out it is possible to have a reasonable meal at a restaurant or eat a low cal meal and have a drink.

The cons:
                    If you are more of a savoury person then this diet doesn't offer much for those two meals a day. Hence my comment about missing the soups and pasta meals.

You do get hungry. I find that the first part of the day is easily but it's the time from about 5 until I get home from work at 7 that I find myself struggling. This means I am more likely to binge when I get home.

There is not too much variety and after a week I am usually fed up of the diet. On the weekends it is particularly monotonous. You can change flavour of milkshake, I suppose. I just get fed up of milkshake in general though.

You may not like the fact that if you buy the milkshakes individually then everyone is likely to know you are on a diet and I was constantly explaining I wasn't out to lose massive amounts of weight, just a few pounds for my holiday. It is ok if you are at home or work when you can put it in a glass but on the move it is a walking advertisement.

Does it work?
                    Just like any diet works, if you follow it properly. I lost 4lbs in two weeks, which was really all I wanted to lose. I am now 9st 4lbs at 5"9 so as I said I am really not overweight at all but just didn't want to spend money on buying loads of new clothes because last years were tight. Now my clothes fit comfortably and so Slim Fast did the job. I also exercised during this time so I can't give all the credit to Slim Fast. I also cheated with higher calorie snacks because of the exercise. I imagine very overweight people would see faster results without having to exercise but to be honest you do have to really want to lose weight badly to stick to this. I personally couldn't do this for very long even though I managed before. Knowing I don't really need to be doing it means that I could stray without great consequences. I think if you have a lot to lose I would recommend this for a weight loss kick start and then seriously start examining your diet for a more permanent way of eating healthily. You have to have great willpower to do this diet for extended periods of time. However if you do have a special occasion coming up and it's only a few pounds you need to lose I think this is just the thing. My clothes are comfortable, I'm back to last years size and it was only a couple of weeks of hard work. Well worth it, I would say.

• Internacionale / Highstreet Shopping / 27 Readings / 24 Ratings
                    25.03.2010 23:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

Just average

Firstly, I am a self-confessed shopping addict. I spend most of my earnings on clothes, shoes, handbags and accessories. I have a tendency to wear something once and then not want to wear it again, so I get through quite a few clothes. I buy decent staples such as black stilettoes, cardigans, blouses etc. but when it comes to fashion items I am perfectly happy to go to Primark or some other cheap high street shop and go for quantity rather than quality because I know I am probably not going to get more than three wears out of whatever I am buying.

I first noticed this shop in the Bullring and the thing that attracted me and my friend was that it was buy two get one free on new line shoes. We went around the clothing part and the clothes seemed fashionable even though I spotted a few items that I had seen in other shops (I think these days they all make the same dresses and just shove different tags in them!). To be honest the clothing wasn't as cheap as I was hoping. I was expecting Primark prices but they were a little more H&M prices. I probably would buy some clothes from there but at this point I was only interested in the shoes.

They had some really nice designs, not particularly good quality but probably what I would expect for the £15 mark. The sale also had a fair few pairs of pumps and high heels and I got a pair of blue stilettoes for £7, which I felt was quite a bargain as I had wanted a pair to go with this one dress for ages. So anyway I gathered up my six pairs plus the additional sale item and took them to the till. In most shops the offers cannot be used in conjunction with one another and it said on new lines so I presumed I was paying for the blue stilettoes separately. When I saw my receipt I checked it because it seemed expensive for the prices I had checked. The catch was that the sale items were included so my £7 sale item was a free pair. I felt a bit peeved about this because they hadn't said all shoes. But I didn't want to give up my shoes I had been looking for so I went away a dissatisfied customer.

I wore a pair of the shoes to work the following Monday and bearing in mind I sit down most of the day at a desk I was in agony after a couple of hours. They pinched like crazy. Now I know some may say what do you expect for buying cheap shoes, but I regularly buy Primark and New Look shoes and I never had this problem. But they were slightly big and it was only the one foot. Terrible quality. But then again I should have seen the warning sign with the elastic band attaching them together.

The handbags and accessories were quite pretty but not cheap. I thought it was a bizarre pricing ratio that two headbands (nothing fancy either) should be the same price as a pair of shoes! Anywhere else I probably would have bought them but the old "Oh £10 in primark, that's expensive, £10 anywhere else, oh that's cheap" came into play.

I probably won't be shopping there for shoes again but I might pop back for the new season's clothing. It seemed to be nothing spectacular but perhaps worth going back for some season staples. Overall a pretty average shop.

• JML Ped Egg / Beauty Accessories / 28 Readings / 28 Ratings
                      21.03.2010 22:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product that is worth every penny!

For a mere 23 year old female, I seem to have the feet of someone twice my age. I have suffered from hard skin for years and although it wasn't so bad that they were cracked or really horribly dry and flaky, there was a substantial layer of skin. It used to cause embarrassment if I had to take my shoes off and lie down by a pool, for example, and I knew people could see the bottom of my feet and I also would never let anyone touch them!

I saw the Pedegg in Boots alongside a demonstration video. To be honest I thought it was just another wonder product that didn't really do a fat lot. I don't know why on this Friday I decided to finally make the purchase but I am so glad I did! I have spent years trying to file down the skin and the amount of time I must have taken up trying to make them vaguely attractive (I am a ballet dancer and my feet are ugly anyway!). The video showed the Ped egg being used to grate a balloon so I didn't really have high expectations but I was so surprised that by that evening I had normal, acceptable, soft feet. It was truly a miracle!

The product is (funnily enough) an egg shaped case that splits into two halves with a metal file that you insert into one half of the egg and then gently use to grate off the hard skin. It really is like a cheese grater! In fact at first I wondered if I wasn't actually better just using the one in the cupboard downstairs. It works through tiny tiny little blades that gently remove the skin. It als CLAIMS to collect it all in the egg so there's no mess, but more about that later.

One of the best things about the product is that you can use it on dry skin so it's not necessary to have a long soak to soften up the skin. I have used it both after a shower and without soaking and i have to say I did prefer after the shower but you have to be really careful as it does remove a lot of skin so you don't want to overdo it and get sore feet. It all happened rather quickly. One minute I had my rough hard feet and next there was soft pink skin. At first I pressed down hard with the file but then I saw how much it was removing and decided to use it a little more gently. The worst of my skin was on the balls of my feet from constant high heel wear and it quickly removed this although I was left with very faint marks where the blades had been (not at all painful and disappeared reasonably quickly). I did go a little overboard on the heels and afterwards I did feel some slight discomfort so I will be careful from now on and I would recommend going easy on those areas that are not really so hard. I think this was down to my misuse rather than the product though.

Anyway the niggle is that it is a little messy and I would recommend putting a towel or piece of paper underneath. It was only the first time when I removed the greater amount of skin that it really made a mess but it is still worth the precaution.

Still I would not be put off by this because the product actually works and I am just saddened that it took me so long to find and that I wasted so much money on products before! I can't wait for sandle season now! It was a bargain at £10.99 and has finally delivered what so many prducts promised before. I think everyone should have one of these because it will save you so much time and money. I finally have the soft feet I always wanted!

• Father of the Bride (DVD) / DVD / 36 Readings / 35 Ratings
                        16.11.2009 02:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fun family film

Although this film came out in 1991, it wasn't until a few years later that I actually bothered to watch it. But I am so glad I did and it remains a firm favourite that I can watch over and over again.

Steve Martin plays the main character and the story centres around him trying to come to terms with the fact that his little girl has grown up and is going to get married. His daughter, Annie, comes home from a 6 month trip to Rome and on her return she has changed. Being a creature of habit, George (Martin), is not particularly happy with that especially when she announces the news of her engagement to an "Independent Communications Consultant" that she met in Rome. However he has to come to terms with it and the wedding plans go forth with him funding but necessarily having a major say in it all, being pushed out by the wedding co-ordinators. His wife tries to keep him in check but this doesn't stop him having a mini breakdown in the supermarket over hotdogs or getting himself into some snooping trouble at the in-laws.

It really is an amusing film and I can imagine that would be what my dad would be like if I got married. There are all sorts of mishaps leading up the big day regarding George and you can't help but love the guy. I have watched this film many times and the wedding is just beautiful with the fairy lights in a marquee and swans and the flowers in the church. Maybe it also appeals to the little girl in us women out there. However the wardrobe is slightly dated. Diane Keaton also does a smashing job of playing the supportive and slightly swept away mother who attempts to keep George calm.

My only criticism is that Annie and her fiance Brian do get on my nerves a bit with the soppiness of their romance but perhaps this is deliberate because it gets on George's nerves as well!

I always enjoy watching it and I like George's sarcastic and sometimes pessimistic nature. I find that a lot of American comedies are directed towards the American humour but I like the dry edge to George and this takes away the "just another American romantic comedy" label I apply to most of these types of films. Definitely worth a watch or two or three!

1 2 3 4 5 6