cath_del

• Comments

Member since: 10.01.2012

• Nemo's Reef / Apps / 16 Readings / 16 Ratings
      05.05.2014 18:42

Advantages

• "Multiplayer in the game"
      • " loads of fish to collect"
      • "Good longetivity"
      • "Good for Finding Nemo fan"
      • " cute graphics"
      • " bright"
      • Clear
      • Free

Disadvantages

• "Mr Rays homework hard to complete for daily rewards"
      • "Limited tasks"
      • "Bit long to level up"
      • "Need internet to play"

Decent Disney aquarium game with cute graphics and enough to do to pass the time

Nemo''s Reef is based around the Disney movie Finding Nemo where you can create your own reef with the characters of the movie. It is free to download from the App store, however you do need internet to play.

The main aim of the game is to create your own reef and to complete the different tasks that the characters of the game set for you while trying to get as many fishes as possible to come back to the reef. The game has a very basic storyline that the tasks follow, and while the tasks don''t really relate to anything in the storyline, it does add a bit more to the game. You create plants throughout the game and add them to your reef, which will in turn lead to more fishes being encouraged to come to the reef to live there.

There are very limited tasks to each level however there is a section called Mr Rays Homework. I haven''t really bothered with this section, as the time frame moves too quickly for me to be able to reach the goals they set - such as collecting X amount of coral in 2 hours (maybe at higher levels it will be easier).

The longetivity of the game is quite good as the tasks continue each time that you level up. However, it can get quite annoying as it does take a while to level up and the coral and coins that you have to try and get to build plants take a while to add up. I don''t really spend that much time on the game unless I have levelled up as there isn''t much to do aside from collect from the plants.

The collections are one of the main reasons that I play this aquarium game, as it does get very addictive trying to collect all the fish, especially if they are rare/limited edition.

The graphics are clear, bright and cute with recognisable characters from the film. The fish tank does look very colourful with the variety of fish and plants as time goes on. The background music is very relaxing as expected for this kind of aquarium game and is just quite a casual tune.

It has very good value for money in my opinion because it is a free game and definitely the best ''aquarium'' type of game that I''ve come across. As with many freemium games, there is the option to purchase in game currency as well.

There is the chance for multiplayer within the game, where you visit others and their fish tanks. There is no social media option so you can''t add friends quickly through facebook, you need their email or username.

While it is not the best game ever out there, it is pretty decent for a aquarium game with good graphics, sounds and addictive collections. I would recommend it to someone who is a fan of Finding Nemo or aquarium apps.

• The Croods (iOS) / Apps / 104 Readings / 101 Ratings
      02.10.2013 19:59

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A same old but bright, colourful and good representation of the game time management app.

The Croods is a time management game developed by the makers of Angry Birds to celebrate the release of the film. I only really thought to download it after seeing the film and because it was quite high rated on the App store free charts. It isn't that different from any other time management app but it does have some slight differences that you might pick it over another. It should be noted that you do need to be connected to the internet to play this game.

It doesn't fit around the film at all, and the only similarities that it really has to the film is the characters within it and some of the animals which appeared during it. However, it does fit in with the film quite well as it does look like it and they have kept the drawings very similar.

The main aim of the game is to build your village which is centered around the family in The Croods. You have to set traps with Grug and collect animals and then house them in your village. After you've done this they will provide you with different fruits, vegetables, bones or eggs and you can use this to build things in the game and keep adding to your village.

The longevity in this game is quite good as you are given a variety of things to do which can be spread out for a long time. You are given various tasks throughout the game to complete which come under 'Gran's Chores'. It mainly is to do with collecting certain amounts of items, building certain things or placing items next to each other. In turn this will grant you experience points, coins or jewels within the game. They can be quite difficult to complete sometimes, as it does require a lot of time to save up or to trap the animals to complete some of them however this does help with the longevity of the game. There is always something to do or try to achieve within the game because of this.

However, you can also try to do 'Grug's Inventions' where you must collect specific items from the animals and complete specific tasks to either expand the land or to get a new member of family to join the village. Doing this can take a very long time as you will need to have a lot of animals in the chain already (it took me a couple of weeks just to complete one set of tasks.)

Aside from just the tasks however, there is also little things you can do while you wait for things to build or for the animals to eat. You can trade with Ugga to create soup, where she will give you coins and soup in return which you can use to level up your animals to make them produce more. This has kept me occupied for a while as I've been trying to level them up as high as possible.

The currency in the game is mainly coins, jewels and whatever the produce you have collected from the animals e.g. a house will need 7200 coins and 2 eggs. It is very expensive for the ingame currency with jewels being the premium currency and I think it would be pretty pointless to buy any of them as you don't really need them for a game like this. Another frustrating point for the game was that it was very easy to accidentally tap on something which would then spend jewels without you wanting to do that or confirm it. It does have good value though as it is a free game and has kept me occupied since downloading it, even though I mainly just try to make a fancy and pretty village.

It is a very simple game and I would say that anyone who has a reading ability could play it. You would definitely need to have patience as things can take a while to build or to collect up, and you would need to be able to figure out how to get things to make more money within the game. Therefore, I would probably recommend it to someone around the age of 8 and upwards.

The multiplayer aspect of the game is quite similar to any other time management game, as all you can really do is visit other people's villages to earn experience points and coins. It is not that interesting but does help you progress throughout the game quicker. However you can only do this if you sync to Facebook which was quite pointless for me as no one I know plays the game. It would have been much better if they had synced it with Roxio accounts.

The graphics are very good on the game as they are clear and have little animations to go with everything. It is a very bright and colourful game when you get into it and it's a bit like a summery kind of game. The background music is tolerable but after a while it can get very annoying as it is a bit repetitive. But the sounds match up to the animations very well and they do not overkill it like some of these time management games when everything you touch has to have about 8 different sounds.

It has been updated quite regularly during the time that I have had the game and there have been a lot of improvements and additional characters added to the game. I think from the success it seems to be having in the charts, that these updates might continue for a while.

Overall, I would say that if you enjoy both the movie and time management games then this would be an app you should download. It is nothing new to time management games but it is developed quite well and can continue on for quite some time. It does have cute looking graphics, however it is definitely not the most interesting of games.

21.07.2013 21:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great second book in the Walking Dead novel series

The Walking Dead is one of my favourite things, as I am obsessed with all areas of it whether it be the comic books, television show or the novels. After reading the first Walking Dead book, I knew I'd have to read this one as the sequel to The Rise Of The Govenor.

I bought the Road to Woodbury from WH Smiths after receiving a gift voucher for my birthday for £8. However, it's also for sale in places like Waterstones and Amazon at various prices. I think this is a pretty decent price as I would read it again after I'd forgotten some of the plotpoints as so much goes on it's hard to remember all of them.

I'd say this is definitely more of a teenage and up reading audience as most of the subject matter is gory and violent. It's a typical horror genre book, but much better than the crazy amounts of zombie books coming out now.

Like most things revolving around The Walking Dead, the novel starts after the zombie apocalypse has happened. The main character is focused upon a woman called Lilly, who those who have read the comics will remember her from the comics based around the prison and Woodbury.

The first half of the book is based around the settlement that Lilly has found herself to be a part of, the relationships she has with those within the group and a bit of her and the other character's backstory. I quite liked this part as there was always some drama going on between the group, whether it be zombies attacking or relationships themselves.

The second part then focuses on their arrival into Woodbury and how they settle in and find out about the craziness that happens in it's walls. You can see Lilly's changes and thoughts about the area, and while it isn't as gory as the first half, it is as thrilling seeing what they're going to do and whether they will succeed or not within their plans.

Once again, the novel has a focus on the Govenor. It is interesting seeing how he has developed from the person that we saw in the last novel and what he has made out of Woodbury. Also for those who have seen the show or read the comics, it is interesting seeing it as a slightly smaller town than it is within them.

The plot of the story is very well done, as there is never a boring moment, as usual with the Walking Dead series. Something dramatic is always happening, and at times it can be very sad or very happy. It's an easy plot to read through and the perfect length so you don't feel as if they are just dragging it along for more pages to fill.

The tension is great throughout the book as it is constantly being built up for the reader whether they just be walking along or road or if they are battling zombies. However, Kirkman does not do it to the extent that it is way over the top.

The gore is obviously at it's best within the Walking Dead's franchise as they manage to make every zombie that you encounter disgusting and squeamish. My favourite part was the varieties of zombies that they threw into this novel (Circus zombies!). In my opinion, if you can read through Misery by Stephen King without feeling squeamish, then this will be a easy read for you.

Similarly to the previous novel, there was a focus upon emotions and relationships however unlike a family way, this was between Lilly and Josh mainly. An incident happens involving them which leaves Lilly unsure of how to react and behave amongst the rest of the group. While most of the novel is tension between the various characters, it is nice to see occasional hints of romance between them.

The characters within this are some of my favourite, and they are actually quite realistic in their relationships with each other and characteristics. Altogether the group of survivors are a good combination, and there is just enough to keep the plot going and not too many that you get confused with who is who.

I would say that this book is definitely better than the previous for action, as much more seems to happen involving zombies and gore, while the other focused more on emotion and the descent into insanity for the Govenor. However, I don't think you need to read the previous to make sense of this one.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this book,I read it in about 2 days as soon as I got it whenever I had spare time. It is a great addition to The Walking Dead novel series, and I hope they write some more. It is everything either a horror fan, Walking Dead fan or zombie fan would like in a book.

• Rocket Dog Thunder / Shoes / 161 Readings / 160 Ratings
          19.03.2013 09:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great comfy boots for winter

After last winter's suffering of having frozen feet due to my Converses letting in so much cold, I decided to purchase Rocketdog Thunder boots from Schuh. It takes ages for me to find any shoe to fit my feet so as soon as I saw they fit, looked decent and actually would be good for winter I knew I would end up getting them.

They were £65 from Schuh, although I did use my student discount to make them cheaper. Even if I did not have my student discount I would have spent this much, as they are of good quality and very sturdy for winter. While there are boots that are much cheaper around, these definitely felt warmer and like they would last a lot longer.

My shoes are black, however you can get them in the brown pictured to. They have quite a worn in look to them already so it doesnt really matter if you batter them around too much or if they get creased as it fits the style. It comes to a couple of inches above my ankle and is at a comfy height.

They are quite versatile boots for me as I wear them with leggings, trousers or skirts and they look good with a variety of things. The laces rarely come undone and are quite thick to so don't get damaged easily and I am not forever doing them up.

I do a lot of dog walking over fields with a friend and these have been the perfect boots as even when they get muddy they are easily wiped off. When painting a set for a play I also got a ridiculous amount of paint on them and this came off even easier which I didn't expect.

The sole is very thick and sturdy and when walking in snow and ice I found I didn't slip at all. Through winter, there was hardly any issue with cold feet as they kept them nice and warm.

I definitely think they are value for money as I wear them almost every day and they are very versatile. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good boot that goes with many things. Although I wore them throughout winter, I probably see myself wearing them all throughout summer to.

11.02.2013 18:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great first book from Peter Robinson

Gallow's View is the first in Peter Robinson's Inspector Bank's series, although not the first book that I have read from them. After spotting half of the series for 20p each in the local library's book sale I decided to buy all of them and have been making a start on reading the whole series.

I see these on sale a lot at charity shops also, so you could pick them up from there for about £2 each. They are also on sale in loads of the big retail shops like Waterstones or WH Smiths for about £7-£8.

Gallow's view is set within Yorkshire, after Inspector Banks moves from London for a quieter police life. As usual, the thing I like most about Robinson's books is that it follows 3 crimes within the areas instead of just a long drawn out book about 1. The combination of both the murder of an elderly lady, burglaries and a peeping tom kept me interested for the book and the variety was much more appealing.

I've liked Robinson's style of writing from his newer books, but I was happy to see that his writing hasn't dramatically changed and was still a great read. It doesn't try to be ridiculously complex like many crime books, and he has a style that is easy to read yet still has lots of mystery and thriller tendencies to it.

It was quite tense throughout the whole book but not to the extent where it became overused and dull. The twists and turns kept you guessing the whole time and were not just thrown in there to make an interesting read but well thought out.

The characters throughout the novel were very believable, the way he describes them and their characteristics were almost as if you could imagine encountering them in your day to day life. It was quite difficult to guess who could have committed the crimes at points as he always seems to make you suspect someone else. At one point I did think I'd worked out who had committed it and then it turned out to be someone else, so it just goes to show he always keeps people guessing.

There are various bits about Bank's personal life to which makes it less of just a crime book and makes you interested within the character himself. I think that Robinson does describe points well enough that make you interested within Banks to see how he'll turn out through the rest of the series.

It was written in 1987, so some of the points and ways things are done are quite outdated. However, they are not too noticable through the plot of the book itself.

I would definitely read this book again, as soon as I forget parts of the plot that is, as it was very readable and easy to get through. It is quite a small book to, so I found it great for bringing to read on the train as it fits quite easily into my handbag!

In conclusion, I think that this is a great first novel and introduction to the Inspector Banks series. It is well written, a great combination of crimes and interesting, developed characters throughout. I would definitely recommend someone to read this if they were a crime fan.

• Coyote Ugly (DVD) / DVD / 182 Readings / 179 Ratings
              02.02.2013 16:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Light and girly film, nothing new or special though

I was given Coyote Ugly as a Christmas present a couple of years ago, and recently found it at the back of my shelves and gave it a watch again. I didn't think it would be my type of movie when I first saw it as it seemed like it would be a bit of a girly movie, and generally I'm not really into those types but I ended up really liking it.

The lead character Violet, is played by Piper Perabo, who I really enjoyed as the actress, and she moved to New York to make it as a singer. She lives in a cramped apartment and is struggling to get noticed to the companies, and is pretty much the stereotype of what people believe struggling musicians are like really. One night she meets Kevin, played by Adam Garcia, another great actor in this role in my opinion, who she believes might be able to help her to actually get somewhere.

Of course, their plotline runs throughout the movie giving it a bit of a romantic edge, so thats in there for all the rom com fans. I felt they had a pretty good dynamic together as a (sort of) couple, and the way their relationship changes throughout the movie definitely kept me interested. It's also nice seeing how they both help the other one to change, and how Kevin helps Violet in her music career.

Another main plotline of the story has to revolve around the actual club itself, Coyote Ugly! After randomly visiting the bar, she meets Lil the owner, who gives her a trial run and eventually a part time job working at Coyote Ugly, which is basically a really busy bar where the bartenders seem to always end up dancing on the bar itself. I quite liked seeing Violet work here, as it shows you how she changes to fit into the environment and how it does help her to improve her confidence..

There aren't any special effects or anything like that, but I have to say that the soundtrack behind it is pretty good like at one point where Violet sings One Way Or Another. I think the one that everyone will end up knowing is Leann Rhimes song, Can't Fight The Moonlight.

The acting is great in the film and I feel that each of them manage to convey their characters pretty well and mesh together nicely. There's also a small cameo from young Tyra Banks which I found to be quite cool as I only really see her as America's Next Top Model host.

The storyline managed to keep me interested, even though the film wasn't really what I usually watch. I like how they put Violet out of her comfort zone and keep you guessing to whether she'll really make it or if she'll be a coyote girl forever. While I guess some parts of it are pretty guessable, it's not the same as every girly movie and is pretty different in some areas.

Overall, I think it's a good film to watch if your just in the mood to watch something quite light and girly. It managed to keep me interested for the whole film, and is definitely one to watch in those moods where you just want to sit on the sofa and not have to bother thinking about intricate plotlines!

19.01.2013 16:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Enjoyable teenage comedy film to watch occasionally

I watched 10 Things I Hate About You mainly for the famous actors I knew playing in it, little did I know it would become one of my favourite teen films to watch whenever I was in the mood for one. It has a great cast, and I suppose the plot is a bit worn out and predictable for these types of movies, but it still managed to keep me watching!

I watched this on Netflix, however after a quick search you can buy it from Amazon new for £8 or used from £2. It's rated at a 12 which I think is fair seeing as it is a teen movie, and nothing really happens in it aside from swearing at one point if I remember correctly.

The plot is inspired by Shakespeare's play Taming Of The Shrew, however with it's own modern day twist to it. Cameron, played by a very young Joseph Gordon Levitt, is the new student in school, and ends up becoming obsessed with popular girl Bianca. However, the only problem is that he is not allowed to date her until Kat, her older and the social outcast of the school, played by Julia Stiles, dates to.

So Cameron sets on the task of finding Kat a boyfriend, and finds her perfect match in Heath Ledger's character Patrick. Of course, Kat doesn't agree to go out with him, so the main element of the film is trying to get her to go out with Patrick and Cameron's quest to date Bianca.

The plotline is one of the teen comedy romance style genres that I can actually stand, as to me it isn't too repetitive and ridiculously unfunny. It actually manages to keep you watching and the characters actually keep you interested in their stories and how things turn out for them.

I preferred it to other teen movies I've seen, as usually they just go with the whole cliché style of movies and it ends up being predictable. While this is a bit predictable, I still think it's a pretty good film as there are funny bits to it and the actors make it bearable.

The acting is good, even considering how young some of the famous actors are in it. I liked the way they showed their characters, and they did make me want to keep watching to know what happens to all of them. They were cast well, and I think Joseph Gordon Levitt does make for a good nerdy type guy, Heath Ledger for the rebellious outsider, and also while I do love Julia Stiles from her role in Dexter, I did really enjoy her as Kat to as she definitely showed her as the rebellious teen.

Overall, I definitely think this is a feel good teen comedy, that I think is perfect for watching on a light day when you just want to chill out. I thought it was much better than the other teen movies that are out, and I liked seeing famous actors super young to!

03.01.2013 23:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great thriller book, would read again,

I am a fan of Stephen King, with Misery being one of my favourite books that he has written. It's also been adapted into a movie, which is one of his book's best adaptations in my opinion, as some have been done awfully.

Misery can be found in Waterstones for around £7 and Amazon for around £2 preowned. It's centred at adults, mainly due to his style of writing and the subjects in the novel.

The plot focuses around Paul Sheldon who is a bestselling author who for a long time has written books for a female audience with the main character, Misery. Little does he know that his No 1 fan Annie Wilkes will find him after a car accident in a snow storm which sends him off the road in a deserted area. She takes him back to her house, where he must now write to save himself, but will he be able to?

From the minute you start reading the book, you are immediately sucked into the world that King creates and it keeps you interested and wanting to find out more about Paul and what will become of him.

There are only two characters throughout the novel really, Annie and Paul. While I didn't really feel all that attached to Paul at the beginning, throughout I really did and kept wishing he'd escape. Annie was completely believable as a physcopathic number 1 fan, and you couldn't help but dislike her from the start as it just seems like something is off about her!

His descriptions are perfectly used throughout Misery, as he manages to convey the true atmosphere of the locations as such isolated areas that you really feel for Paul and the area that he has now become stranded in. The way he manages to set these locations really keeps you on the edge of your seat, as you just forever want him to escape and keeps you in a perpetual state of wanting him to break out of it.

The most squeamish thing in the books had to be the way King portrayed the pain that Paul feels at the hands of Annie Wilkes. He manages to make you just wince with a few sentences and throughout what seemed the whole book, I couldn't help but go ouch in my mind with every movement Paul made as he made it seem so painful and realistic you could just imagine it happening to yourself.

It was an extremely tense novel throughout which I loved. It kept you constantly guessing what would happen to Paul, and that you never really knew what was going to happen to him which just made me kept wanting to read. In fact, this is what made me finish it in 2 days straight!

After reading this, I would definitely read it again as it is one of my favourites by King. Probably because it is so realistic and seems like something that could actually happen.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book if you are a fan of both thriller and horror. Thriller as it really does keep you guessing about what's going to happen next, and horror because it is ridiculously squeamish when talking about the things that happen Paul. This really is one of King's best work and I think everyone should read this.

• Doubt (DVD) / DVD / 161 Readings / 159 Ratings
                    10.12.2012 19:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Enjoyed the plot from the acting perspective, but found it slow overall

Doubt was the latest on my Film List to be ticked off as watched. I added it after seeing how much hype it got at the Oscars, and as I think Meryl Streep is a great actress then it would be a pretty interesting film. I wasn't sure if it was going to be my kind of film, but had some time to spare on the weekend and ended up watching it.

I rented this from Blockbuster, however I have also seen this available in places like HMV and Amazon for around £5. It is rated at a 15, which I think is a decent rating considering the subject matter and all that goes on with it.

It's set in the 1960s, where Meryl Streep plays Sister Aloysius who runs a Catholic school in New York, with support from Father Flynn who is played by Philip Seymour Hoffmann, whose acting I quite enjoyed in this film along with Streep to.

From the beginning of the movie, you can see that Sister Aloysius is having doubts about Father Flynn, as immediately after he makes his sermon, she asks the other nuns that she knows to look out for him and ensure that he isn't doing any suspicious when she is not around. The main thing that sets off her worries is when an altar boy, Donald, returns upset to Sister James class and smelling of alcohol.

This is what sets Sister Aloysius suspicions off, as she is unconvinced by the excuse that Father Flynn gives and believes that he is a predator to the young boy. From this moment on, she sets on removing Father Flynn from his position, to ensure the safety of the other children.

Obviously, with the title of the film Doubt, this is what the film is supposed to be centred around. I did think it went well with the theme, as you could see whether Sister Aloysius was doubting her own thinking and whether she was just being over precautious and how she was torn between what to do.

While I didn't think the plot was that interesting and a bit slow, I did think that the acting was enough to keep me immersed. I wouldn't say it kept me interested as much as I'd like, but the way the characters were portrayed kept me interested enough to know what would happen to them and if something shocking would happen. They managed to portray their characters really well, and I think Streep did a great job at being the cautious nun and Hoffmann as the slightly creepy Father who you want to suspect did something wrong, but just can't work out if he really did.

Overall, I'd say if you like the type of films like this which I suppose require reflection and thinking, then it is for you. However, in my mindset when I watched this film, I was just looking for a normal film and didn't really feel like looking too in-depth at the time, so didn't enjoy it as much as I could. The plotline was a bit slow in my opinion, but I think the acting was well deserving of the hype that they caused.

27.11.2012 11:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

One of my favourite films

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favourite films of all time, I remember watching it from my childhood and I still watch it once a year! The combination of cartoons and reality makes it one of the best films in my opinion, and adds to its different and cute charm.

I got it for £5 from HMV while it was on sale, and I've seen it with this price in many other stores to. However, sometimes it is on television, so you could always wait for it then. I also think it is on Netflix, I recall passing by it at some point.

The plot focuses around Eddie (played by Bob Hoskins - great acting as Eddie!)in 1940s, where cartoons and real people live together, and he is hired by R.K.Maroon to find out about Jessica Rabbit, the wife of Roger Rabbit. Eddie has a grudge towards toons due to the death of his brother, so he's not exactly the happiest to be around toons all day.

Eddie goes on a hunt to find out the truth on whether she is cheating on this cute cartoon rabbit, and soon finds out there is something fishy going on in ToonTown thanks to evil villain Judge Doom.. .So he and Roger head out to solve it, leading to a ridiculous amount of adventures and mishaps in both reality and the cartoon world.

The storyline kept me interested for the entire time that I was watching, it never gets predictable and there is always a new twist occurring somewhere or other. My favourite part in the movie is that they also throw in quite well known cartoons such as Betty Boop, so it was good watching through it and spotting the ones that I know of!

In my opinion, the thing that kept me watching was the great partnership of Eddie and Roger, as the two of them just seem to cause so much trouble and while they don't have the functional of most relationships, you do start to see them getting fond of each other. I also love the fact that Eddie just seems to hate Roger, but you can tell that really he does care for him and his silliness! Judge Doom was played really well, and I loved the way Christopher Lloyd managed to play him so creepily, he really is a great villain!

The addition of cartoons are great, and while they don't look as amazing as all the fancy ones that you see now in movies, I think they still look great in the movies and add to its overall look. It blends in great with reality and it does look like the real life actors are actually interacting with characters that are there.

Overall, I definitely think this is a film that everyone should watch, a film with everything in it, a bit of cartoon fun, romance and action - there's something everyone in the family can enjoy. A great film which will be a longlasting favourite!

19.11.2012 13:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great comic book style film full of great fight scenes

After reading all the comics of Scott Pilgrim, I knew that I had to watch the film when it came out. It seemed like it would be a bit of a different film and that they would actually follow the books for once which is great! It combines reality with a bit of comic book action which is always good in my opinion.
                        I rented it from Blockbuster, but I'm guessing it would be about £7 now new from either HMV or Amazon. It's rated at 12A which I think is fair, as nothing happens that's too violent in it, as it's all really comic booky and there is only some sex references really in it.

The film centres around Scott Pilgrim, who plays in his band Sex Bob-omb, currently obsessing and heartbroken about his ex girlfriend whose just broken up with him. Although things lighten up for him when he meets Ramona Flowers, who he thinks is the girl for him with her radiating coolness and coloured hair! However, the only problem is, if he wants to date her he must first defeat her 7 evil exes who are out to destroy him.

I think it makes for a great plot, as you never know what's going to happen and it has everything that makes for a great film - action, romance and twists throughout! I was kept interested the entire time I was watching it, and I didn't ever get bored as something was always happening and going wrong or great for Scott!

The best parts were the fights that occurred between Scott and the evil exes, as they were done in a comic style like and reminded me a bit of when the characters in games like Tekken fight. The way it is shot is definitely visually appealing and makes it a little bit different to the other films around, even if it does give off that slightly geeky vibe which I feel adds to its charm. They were really lively and charismatic in the way that they fight, I thought all the little extra bits they do in these fights were great.

The acting manage to convey the characters well, giving it that unique and indie feel to the film and make it that little bit geeky while still giving off that cool vibe! Cera played Scott great as it seems to just be the perfect character for him, playing the geeky guy whose still quite funny and manages to win us over. Ramona is played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and she did fit the character perfectly and I did think she appeared well as the girl that Scott is obsessed over. To me, all the characters shown throughout definitely reminded me of the ones in the novels aside from a few differences.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this film as I think it has a mixture of everything to keep people amused. It has the uncool charm that manages to keep us captivated to the characters, acting that portrays the characters excellently, action scenes that keep you entertained and a plot line that is not predictable.

08.11.2012 20:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good first debut in the Dexter series

Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the debut novel from Jeff Lindsay focusing around the somewhat psychotic vigilante Dexter in Miami. The novels have been adapted into the famous television show Dexter that some may know, and as I love the show, it was no surprise that I loved the books to.

It's targeted mainly at adults, pretty much due to it's subject matter and can be found on Amazon for around £2.

The plotline of this mainly revolves around painting the picture of Dexter, a blood splatter analyst in Miami Metro who seems like a normal regular guy who works in the police station. However, Dexter has a secret as he is not like everyone else, and he is in fact a serial killer. But with the twist that he only kills those that deserves it. Throughout the novel you get to see how he manages to get away with this, how he hides his bodies and how he manages to portray himself as such an ordinary guy while having this secret hobby.

However, we don't just follow Dexter around, we also see how Miami Metro deals with a certain new killer called the Ice Truck Killer. Not only do they have the police stumped on who they are, but they also are intriguing Dexter and his Dark Passenger with the taunts left for him at each murder site..

I didn't feel as if the plot slowed at any point, as there was always something new happening (generally a murder, but still something!). It is written in a way that definitely keeps you reading and on the edge of your seat.

The novel is written from the first person perspective of Dexter which I quite enjoyed as it is interesting seeing the darker sides of these murder cases and his musings. He is quite funny at times which I enjoyed throughout, while it is quite a dark sense of humour! But I enjoyed his character enough to keep wanting to see his views on the world and the reasons for why he does what he does.

In terms of writing, he isn't gruesome in any way that you would expect it to be, the murders written in a way that even the squeamish will be able to handle.
                          The main focus was on Dexter from this novel, and I felt that I only really was able to know about the supporting characters through watching the show as they are hardly really developed in the story and you don't know much about them or grow attached. But Dexter provides enough amusement and interest throughout the novel that you don't really mind.

I really liked the television show, so thought there was a possibility that I would not like the book enough because of this. But it turns out that I did quite like the novel, as it kept me interested and I didn't really think that watching the show first managed to ruin it in any way. The show sticks to this book quite a bit, but the book is different enough to not be boring and just follow it exactly.

Overall, I think this is definitely a great debut novel from Jeff Lindsay into the Dexter series. Even if you are a huge fan of the television series, I think the books will also be a favourite. Dexter is a great character that manages to be so interesting and humouros throughout the novel, you can't help but to read on and find out what's next for him.

01.11.2012 13:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great, cheap nail polish remover which does the job

I change my nail colour pretty often so it does mean I go through a lot of nail polish remover. I'm not too fussed about what one I use so long as I don't have to use half a bottle and it actually gets rid of my nail polish well. Recently, I saw this Cutex Acetone Free for about £1 in Asda and decided to top up my nail products shelf as it was so cheap. I've also seen it in other stores for around £2.

The bottle is pretty tiny so would fit into a small space quite well, and is a transparent orange colour so handy to know when it's just about to run out. I've never had any problems with the lid being too loose and it never unscrews and leaks everywhere. It's a decent enough size and doesn't allow for a ridiculous amount to fall out when you tip it upside down.

I had no idea if acetone free is better for nails or not, as this factor didn't really make much of a difference to me. My nails are always quite strong, however my mum's aren't and when she used it, she said it hardly made any difference to hers.

It also states that they use conditioner for sensitive skin, which I found a bit weird as well it's not as if you use it on your skin but I suppose it does keep the skin around the nail quite soft for a short time after use. Also, this nail polish remover states that it's fine for both false and acrylic nails.

I've used the nail polish remover with different sizes of cotton wool pads and found that it works well whatever the absorbency. It soaked in well however didn't dry quickly, which meant I get a lot of use out of the bottle as I don't have to use loads of it. It worked really well as it only took one cotton wool pad on each hand to remove every trace of nail polish.

The smell of the nail polish is pretty normal and not as strong as some of the others I've used. However, it does leave a really strong smell on your nails which can take a while to scrub off but it's not too vile.

Overall, this is a great nail polish remover and I would definitely recommend it because it does the job well and at a cheap price. The fact it doesn't smell strong and lasts for ages is also a nice added bonus to a great nail polish remover.

23.10.2012 15:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good magazine for kids, especially Moshi fans

Moshi Monsters is a craze that is sweeping most primary schools, sweeping so much that they have released their own magazine, Moshi Monsters Magazine. The fact that my sister is both obsessed with Moshi Monsters and reading has led to them being left in the car, so anytime I'm waiting in it I tend to always end up flicking through it absent mindedly.

I'd say the magazine is suitable for any Moshi fan and also for those aged 3 and up. It costs around £3 but has the option to be subscribed to, but it is definitely worth this as it encourages kids to read but also keeps them occupied for a while. It can be found in most newsagents and supermarkets to and is released monthly. I'd say it is fine for any age, as long as they have basic reading skills.

The magazine always comes with free gifts for kids, and they always are moshi monster related. Usually they are random codes for the game combined with some other little gifts, for example this month they had mouldable popping chocolate which was pretty decent! Granted half of it does end up in the tiny toys collection, however most of them my sister has played with for a while.

The magazine is basically a colour explosion as every page seems ridiculously bright and colourful, although this is a bonus in my opinion! It is designed very well for a magazine as there is not too much information on the page and is written in a way that will definitely appeal to kids. It also has a great amount of pictures, drawn with cute little details and exactly like the moshi monsters themselves on all the pages.

Throughout the magazine, there are loads of things to keep a moshi fan amused. Along with kids drawings and letters sent in, there is also loads of little games and quests for the kids to complete. These are challenging in my opinion and my mum is definitely glad about these being included as they keep my sister occupied for ages. They also test a wide variety of skills, whether it be answering questions from comprehension or general knowledge or testing their math skills through younger versions of sudoku or code cracking.

It's also good for the crafting side, as they often have instructions on how to build moshi related things such as cakes, little paper crafts or in the most recent issue, moshis out of mouldable chocolate. They are always really helpful and the instructions are designed in such a way, they don't require an adults help.

There are also things such as posters, which go up on my sisters wall pretty much every time she gets the magazine. They're always very cute and designed well. However, also included throughout is random comic panels which have cute little stories and are designed with great little details on all the moshlings.

Overall, this magazine is great for moshi fans however I also think other kids could enjoy it, as it is full of little puzzles to keep people occupied and cute comic panels. It is designed with kids in mind, and my sister can spend ages reading it, so it is definitely worth purchasing especially as it keeps kids occupied.

14.10.2012 23:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good ship for a pirate fan or Spongebob fan

The Flying Dutchman seems to have made a name for itself in the show Spongebob Squarepants, and has also ended up being a part of my sisters toy collection, in the form of a toy ship based on the one seen in the television show. She has other action figures of Spongebob, so this seemed appropriate to add to her little collection of play figurines.

She was given this as gift from one of our uncles, so I'm not too sure how much it cost. However, a quick search showed me it's around £20 from toy stores or Amazon. For the price and the amount it's been played with, I'd say it's worth that for a Spongebob fan or kids that like making up little situations with their action figures it would also make for a good general pirate ship. I'd say it is suitable for older children also as there are little pieces which detach from the main part of the ship.

The ship is quite a decent size, and looks exactly like it does in the cartoons. It is quite sturdy when put together and has fell from her shelf at one point and it didn't break or have anything smash off it. There are many little pieces to it, so it can take a bit of a while to set up. Also, these small pieces can be quite annoying as they have a tendency to get lost and take ages to be found.

There is a little Spongebob which comes with it, and he is as sturdy as the ship. The colour on it has stayed and it has all the little details to make it look like Spongebob to. It is quite tiny, however fits into the ship perfectly.

My sister uses this for playing with her other Spongebob characters while making up little scenarios, however as I said before I think this ship could be used for any other kind of play really.

Overall, this is a good toy ship for either a Spongebob fan or just anyone looking for a strong pirate looking ship. The fact that it is strong, sturdy and has good little details added to it, definitely outweighs the fact that small pieces can sometimes fall off it.