catsholiday

catsholiday
  • Comments

Member since: 07.08.2008

23.10.2014 22:01

Advantages

• "scent lasts well"
      • "pretty bottle"
      • "Smells lovely"

Disadvantages

• "Not a cheap one"

Floral uplifting scent that lasts quite well too

Mine is a pretty simple mini spray vial but the real thing comes in a bomb or grenade shaped bottle with a silver pull off cap. The box is very pretty with a dull pink colour looking as though it is wrapped with a dark ribbon and sealed with V&R in the centre like a blob of sealing wax.

I like the bottle and the box is feminine without being too girly and ‘pretty pretty’.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
      The prices vary but the 30 ml is around £49 and 50 ml is £55 on the Boots website. I would say it always pays to shop around as it is widely available so may be on offer somewhere.

NOTES AND SMELLS
      The top notes are tea and bergamot, middle notes of sambac jasmine, orchid, freesia, and rose, and the base note of patchouli.

This is a good strong scent that is sweet, floral with a creamy note that then dies down to a lovely feminine deep creamy floral as the patchouli begins to give the lighter notes some depth.

I find this a lovely uplifting aroma and when I wear it I feel good and content. It might be because in my mind I associate it with holidays as I spray it liberally on me in the Duty free shops.

It is not subtle when it first is applied. The floral profusion hits with a bang. These are the sweet, notes of freesia, orchid, jasmine and rose which I think are pretty and lovely floral scents mixed so that they give a lovely strong floral scent but not sweet and sicly or cloying at all. After some ten minutes this dies down to the lovely feminine scent and this lasts for some good time and this is when you benefit from the subtle notes of patchouli which gives it the warmth, depth and body. It can often still smell it on me after a seven hour flight so not bad really.

This is in no way a unisex scent, it is definitely a feminine scent. It is summery and fresh but I don’t think it is restricted to being a summer scent as the heart notes do give it depth and lasting quality.

When I wear it my husband comments . He doesn’t always notice scents but he does become aware of some and this one he does say ‘you smell nice’ when I wear it. I do notice he tends NOT to say it at the airport just after I have applied it though and that it probably tactical so I am not encouraged in any way to make a purchase!

I would be happy to have this in a full size as it could be worn anywhere I feel. It is light enough for day but has a depth that would take it into an evening perfume too. It lasts well and is pretty and feminine and flirty.

08.09.2014 20:57

Advantages

• "lasts fairly well"
      • summery
      • floral
      • fresh
      • light

Disadvantages

• "may be too swet for some"

This to me is a lovely light fresh floral and very feminine

This one came in a nice mini box similar to the one the full sized perfume comes in. It is quite understated but also classy.

My mini spray is white plastic with a pink lid. Simple and rather functional to my mind. The actual full sized bottle is more attractive and is sort of chunky square in clear pale pink glass with a clear diamond cut plastic/glass stopper of the spray.

I see on the Boots website that 50 ml of this in a spray bottle will set you back nearly £50 while 100 ml is pretty close to the £100 mark. I suspect if you shop around you may find it cheaper but it is one of the more expensive eau de toilettes generally.

WHAT NOTES ABOUND?

The top notes are pomegranate, Yuzu and frosted accord.
      The heart notes are Peony, magnolia and fresh lotus
      The base notes are amber extracted from plants, musk and red woods.

MY THOUGHTS

The initial spray of this is very light and fresh, sweet but with a pleasant sort of water melon note to soften the sweetness. That is probably the pomegranate as that is not a sweet aroma. The yuzu is a Japanese orange type of fruit so again fresh and citrussy and heaven knows what frosted accords are except presumably fresh and like a frosty day.

It began to fade after about half an hour which is not surprising as it is an EDT not an EDP. The floral notes became more obvious but again in a subtle way not heavily floral nor too sweet. The strange thing is that I can also smell roses and there is no rose element listed in the notes maybe it comes from the peony notes combined with others. This stage was lovely freshly floral and a very 'pretty' feminine fragrance to me.

About three hours after I first applied the eau de toilette I could still smell it on my wrist which is where I apply all my perfumes for reviewing purposes. I then write the review over time taking note of the scent developing and changing.

The dry down is still floral and fresh with the warm musky notes giving a depth to the scent. I am afraid the amber was too subtle for my unqualified nose but the end result is a lovely fresh floral scent with a warm heart but not at all heavy.

This to me is a lovely light fresh floral, very feminine and perfect for a summer 's day.It is not dominating but it is very much there and I would be happy to wear it.

I can't say I will be rushing to buy it , mainly as I already have far too many perfumes but also because it doesn't have the wow factor for me. It is a pretty and youthful scent and I will happily use my sample and would apply it at an airport but probably not buy it myself.

© Catsholiday

28.08.2014 23:26

Advantages

• "some fair trade ingredients"
      • "not tested on animals"
      • "no alluminium"
      • "smells pleasant"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't really work on me"

Chilled and Breezy scent but ineffective as a deodorant

These usually sell for £2.50. There are three different scents to chose from; ‘Cool and Zesty’ which comes with a lime green lid, ‘Chilled and Breezy’ with a blue lid and finally, ‘Fresh and Floral’ with a pink one. Each of the scent options comes either in a roll on or a stick option and my choice was the roll on. The roll ons also have the option to buy refills which are 50p cheaper than the full roll on kit .

This ‘ Chilled and Breezy’ The smell of this deodorant is quite pleasant, kind of sea beeze, cotton fresh or clean linen kind of scent. I found it pleasant enough but not wonderful. The ingredients state that this has volcanic minerals and essential oils. I think this has a hint of rosemary but nothing much else really stands out. The scent is subtler that the ‘Cool and Zesty’ one and I also found this less effective as a deodorant as well.

This deodorant contains has aloe vera from Guatamala and alcohol from Ecuador both countries being part of the Community trade projects. The aloe vera and sugar cane needed to make the alcohol are both grown on farms using organic production processes. The Body Shop’s trade with these Community Trade farmers ensures that they receive a regular and fair income.

It smells quite pleasant but I find that as a deodorant it is less effective that the other one I tried. It would certainly require a re application during the day to keep my arm pits smelling fresh. I was rather disappointed with this one and would not buy it again.

On the plus side there were no stains or marks on my clothes under my armpits . Also a positive is the fact that I was able to use this deodorant straight after shaving my armpits and it didn’t sting at all . Another positive is that I had no reaction or allergy from using it either.

This is a deodorant not an anti perspirant but I did expect it to keep me from having smelly armpits.

The difference between a deodorant and an anti-perspirant is that a deodorant will help mask or kill odours caused by perspiration whereas, anti-perspirants control or stop perspiration by using ingredients such as aluminium salts.

This product is a deodorant but not the best I have used as I found it was not that effective and I have found other better products that I will buy in future.

Thanks for reading. This review may be on other sites under my same user name.

28.08.2014 22:43

Advantages

• "Not tested on animals"
        • "lots of lovely natural oils"
        • "Not greasy"
        • "feels light on skin"
        • "Reasonable price"

Disadvantages

• "Some less great ingredients"
        • "Body Shop owned by L'Oreal"

Cheaper than premium brands yet does as good a job

I was actually quite impressed with the price of this for a serum. For the small 28 ml bottle you pay around £12 which is a lot less than many serums around. However if it is cheap does it work as well? It is always hard to judge these things as it is a bit subjective. The lines are realistically NOT going to disappear now, they are here to stay and will inevitable get worse as I get older but what I am hoping for is to delay the inevitable.

Unfortunately when I was younger and living in Australia I probably didn’t look after my skin as well as I should have so I am desperately making up for it now.
        This is a clear slightly gel like serum which smell lovely sweet and fresh. It goes on so easily and is very quickly sucked into my skin leaving it feeling slightly tighter, firm and not at all greasy or oily, quite matt in fact.

I was quite surprised at how matt the effect was considering this is a Vitamin E serum with oil but the oils in it must be very light and quickly absorbed. The oils in this serum are wheat germ oil, Sunflower and Jojoba oils and it also contains Marula, Sesame and Soya oils from Community Fair Trade farmers . So lots of lovely oils to feed your skin and keep it healthy.

I just dipped my fingers in my pot then gentle massaged it over my face.

There are lots of lovely good ingredients in this but I fear there are others which are not so great. I am not going to list all the ingredients but some do cause me concern and they are mainly the fragrance ingredients. Now although I said I liked the smell of this I would prefer it smelled of natural ingredients rather than non natural ones. To be truthful I would prefer no scent if it meant no artificial ingredients. Now some artificial ingredients are harmless but some are questionable.

I rather went off Body shop when they sold out to L’oreal and I know that they do sometimes test on animals. They cannot do this in Europe but they have recently bought a Chinese beauty company and in China the government requires such trials for every new beauty product.

The Body Shop products cannot be sold in China as they do still stand by the non animal testing ethic but it is a bit tricky when they are owned by L’Oreal to separate the two in my mind.

I will leave the ethics question up to you to research further but as a product I would recommend this.

It is good value compared to some of the premium brands and having tried them both I would choose this one over the Clinique one any day. They seem to do about the same to my skin and this is far cheaper and actually feels nicer and smells pleasant too.

19.08.2014 13:46

Advantages

• "Larger than life characters"
        • "thought provoking"
        • Amusing

Disadvantages

• "not much strory"
        • different

I would be happy to read Heller's other books as I did enjoy her writing

Audrey and Joel marry in kind of a whirl wind rush and commit their lives to protests and fighting the injustices of the world. Joel is a lawyer and Audrey supports all his causes.

One day Joel has a stroke and ends up in a coma and the family are left rethinking their lives and what it all means.

Audrey discovers Joel had a secret life and she is forced to re-examine her ideas about their forty-year marriage. This forces her into a kind of angry depression.

Their children all have their own issues that they are living through and then their father's coma also forces them to think about their lives as well as their relationship with their rather unpleasant and angry mother.

Rosa has found some solace in hunting for her Jewish roots and finding out about Judaism. She is mocked by her mother but pressured by her Jewish friends to be more committed.

Karla found her comfort in food and is rather overweight. She is married but they cannot have children and her husband Mike wants them. They are going along the adoption route and Karla is not quite so sure. She also becomes involved with the owner of a newspaper concession at her work.

Lenny the adopted son who Audrey feels closest too and Joel didn't get along with is back on drugs and enabled by Audrey handing him money as she feels that is showing her caring for him

Jean, Audrey' long suffering a very supportive friend is constantly there for her despite Audrey's anger and rudeness.

Hannah, Joel's mother feels resentful and upset that her son should be dying while she is still around.

Such is the story, not a lot happens and we are really just joining a rather odd family in their time of crisis as they look back over their lives and question their relationships.

MY VIEWS

I found the characters a little too extreme but that is part of the humour I think. The Litvinoff tribe or family set their stall out as being hard line socialists who have proudly and loudly rejected their Jewish heritage. They are anti establishment ans unorthodox in every way.

I found it very hard to warm to Audrey who was not a great mother and an angry bed tempered person, lazy, slovenly and not really appealing at all. I did wonder why her friend, Jean was so good to her and why her daughters still came round and also tried to support her as she was like a prickly bad tempered cactus.

I particularly liked the story when Hannah was struggling with her fancy massage and adjustable chair. She couldn't work the chair using the control yet would not allow any of her granddaughters to help. She almost ended up being ejected after her efforts.

I found it a very different book, a strange story but somehow compelling and I certainly didn't find it hard going.

19.08.2014 11:53

Advantages

• "sweet is you like that"
        • "Lasts well"

Disadvantages

• "not a lot of development"
        • "Very sweet"
        • Expensive

This is a vanillary creamy concoction and pleasant enough but I still would not buy

ALL WRAPPED UP
        This is not a flashy unusual bottle like some posh perfumes. This is sleek and simple but still quite classy looking. The bottle is clear so the contents can be seen. That is good in that you get to see what is left but it does mean that you should keep it in its box or in the dark as light makes the perfume deteriorate. The bottle the n has a pink typical Prada coloured trim and a black lid. The lid comes off and under that you have a spray nozzle.

ONLY THREE SIMPLE NOTES
        Top Notes : Musks- which is unusual to have as a top note and this is a deeper scent with a rather powdery note in this

Middle notes: Benzoin- This is a lovely creamy vanillary aroma and it does come through in the perfume.

Base notes: Caramel- this perfume seems back to front to me as you usually get this as a top note but this is the toffee aroma which mixes with the benzoin to give the caramel toffee sweetness.

MY THOUGHTS

This would never be a perfume I would have chosen just from the name alone. I am not drawn to sugary sweet. I prefer musky heavier earthy perfumes myself.

It doesn't really do anything , it goes on sweet and vanillary and stay as that throughout. I didn't find it had much sillage as when I put some on my daughter I couldn't smell it on her even though that day I had not worn it myself.

I could still smell it on me about three hours later and in fact faintly even another few hours though if I wanted to go out and smell of this I would have refreshed it. It stayed on my clothes as the next day I could still smell it on them.

This is a perfume that I feel would appeal to those who like sweet perfumes and probably the younger market rather than a sophisticated perfume.

This is in no way a unisex perfume, it is pretty in pink, girly, frilly and sweet in my view. It certainly isn't subtle as it whacks a big sweet hit with a slightly floral note to me. I don't know where the floral comes from but it does remind me of honeysuckle .

PRICES AND SIZES
        The perfume fragrance is widely available.
        You can buy the 30ml size for around £40, the 50ml size for around £53 and the 80ml one for about £71.

I cannot see me buying this perfume as it just is not my taste. I am not girly and sweet craving enough. I am happy to have had the sample to play around with but it has told me that this one is not for me.

Thanks for reading. This review may be posted on other sites under my same user name.

16.08.2014 22:51

Advantages

• "can layer it up"
          • "add thickness"
          • "adds length"
          • "good colour"
          • "jojoba oil for conditioning"
          • "no clumping"

Disadvantages

• "none for me"

Good quality mascara and easy to remove

I don’t wear a lot of make up but I always wear mascara as my eyes need a bit of help. My eye lashes are pathetic, thin and short so I need to add both length and colour to make them at least noticeable.

I like No 7 products as I feel they are good quality and usually deliver on their promises. I also often buy them when Boots give their £5 off No7 products vouchers. I always make sure I stock up on No 7 products when I have these.

The mascara comes in quite a good sized mascara package or tube container which is tapered and quite sleek in shape. It feels solid in your hand and is long enough that I feel in control of this when using it. The brush has a pretty long wand to it which I like as my hand is not in the way when I use a long wanded brush.

The brush is not only a decent length but it has a good sized brush part too which means that all lashes are able to be covered easily with the brush without having to move it from one side of my eye to the other.

When I load the brush enough mascara comes out to coat the lashes. I find that for day to day use one coat is sufficient but for going out I do layer a couple of layers to get a decent depth of thickness, colour and a bit of added length. You can add several layers if you want and it still does not get clumpy and lumpy.

I find that this gives a good even coverage with no blotches and it separates my lashes too so I don’t end up with clumps of lashes stuck together.

I also like the fact that this mascara doesn’t weep on me. Some leave me with panda eyes after a few hours which I hate,

This comes in black and brown/black and I usually choose the brown/ black as I am quite fair and find this looks a bit more natural.

This mascara costs £12.95 for the pack which holds 7ml. I find that lasts for a good long time certainly as long as I am supposed to keep a mascara which is three months in case of harbouring bacteria and applying this close to your eyes could cause infection.

This mascara has jojoba oil in it which helps to keep the lashes conditioned and also means that the mascara has a nice shiny and smooth look to it.

The mascara is NOT waterproof so if you plan on going swimming or having a good cry at a soppy film then I suggest you don’t wear this mascara.
          I find that if I apply my make up remover on a cotton pad onto my closed eyes and let it soak in then gently wipe my lashes then this comes off pretty easily. I don’t have to rub and pull at my lashes which is good as I have few enough of them.

I would recommend this mascara especially if you buy it with a No7 £5 off voucher. It is a good quality mascara that goes on evenly and clump free and is easy to remove with a make up remover.

12.08.2014 20:38

Advantages

• "easy to find"
          • "good quality product"
          • "reasonable price"
          • "good colour choices"
          • "Lasts ages on the eye lids"

Disadvantages

• "none for me"

My Eye liner stays perfect thanks to No 7

I like No 7 as I think they are good quality and not stupidly expensive like some brands. I do use their eye pencil liners sometimes but if I want something to stay put this is what I choose.

The colour I have is Bohemian which is a kind of deep mauve. I find black a bit too dark for daily use and this is a subtle colour yet does show.

The thing I like about this liner is that it lasts the day through and doesn’t smudge and fade. I apply a thin line along the top of my eye lashes nearest the base of the lash. I then keep my eyes closed for a while then pat it dry with a tissue. If I don’t do that I get a smudge higher up on my eye lip that seems to stick like glue and is hard to get rid of.

Once I have applied and dried the top eye lids I then pop a very thin line under my eyes. It is applied with the thin brush applicator and goes on like a wet paint line. It doesn’t take long to dry and once dry it is there till you wipe it off with make up remover.

I love the fact that I can get such a thin line, that it dries quite quickly and that it really lasts so well and doesn’t smudge as I hate looking like a panda.

There are several colours available in this range, Bohemian which I have, Chain mail, Mermaid, Metallic Mocha, Metallic Moss, Metallic Royal, Sea, and Sky High so you have a good range from blues and turquoises through to greys, greens and metallic muddy colours and I think there is a black as well. I think the range is pretty good and gives a good choice for most people.

All of these have not been tested on animals but they are not natural and have colours and dyes as well as parabens in them so if you want a natural product then this may not be for you.

To remove this eye liner I do have a couple of methods. One is to use Lush’s Ultra balm and apply that then use a hot flannel/face cloth and gently wipe my eyes and this gets the liner and mascara off leaving my eyes moisturised too.

I have also found that the Dermalogica liquid make up remover that looks like water does a great job too.

You do have to ensure you apply whatever remover you are using to your eyes rather than just doing a quick wipe over.

Most face wipes also do the job okay as well.

These sell in Boots only as it is a No 7 product and they are around £7.50 each.

The price is reasonable and the quality good. I have never had a reaction from using this liner or indeed any from the No 7 range.

07.08.2014 15:07

Advantages

• "not sticky"
          • "light on lips"
          • "gives a good clean line"
          • "easy to apply accurately"
          • "Good lasting colour"

Disadvantages

• "the balm is too soft and melts quickly"
          • "the balm break easily "
          • "dries out lips"
          • "Their policy on animal testing is dubious"

Good lasting colour for a 'just bitten' look but quite drying on lips

This is very different from a normal lipstick in that the stain end of the pen had a felt tip for applying the colour. The one I have is the lip stain and balm pen so at one end you have the stain which is the colour and at the other you have the balm which is like a clear lip salve really.

I do find it gives a great lasting base colour which doesn't fade fast at all. It is a stain. I suppose the nearest thing I have used to this in Benefit's Benetint but this I find lasts even longer that that does.

I love the fact that you really can get an accurate application because of the pen being a felt tip.

After I apply this stain to get a good base colour I then choose a colour of something like Soap & Glory Mother plucker and apply that over the stain. This means my kips have a great strong base colour and the lip plumping effect from the other product. I find the lip plumpers don't have very string lasting colours so this combination suits me well.

The end with the balm is not a wind up and down balm so the stick of lipsalve is exposed. Mine very quickly broke off and I have kind of mended it but you can't put any pressure on it at all otherwise it will break. It would have been much more useful if they had had a winding mechanism so that you only exposed the small amount of the lipsalve to apply to your lips.

You certainly need something to put on top of the stain as it is far too drying to use alone so they could with sorting the balm end out to be more useful or you can do as I do and mix the stain with a more moisturising lip product for the top coat.

This lip stain and balm is available in six different colours.

When you use this your lips need to be clean and dry so don't put anything on them before the stain. If you want a deeper colour you can apply a second and third coat of the stain. Let the stain dry before applying the balm or other lip gloss product.

If you don't suffer from dry lips you can just use the stain and the advantage of this is that it feels like you have nothing on your lips. I hate the sticky glosses that feel tacky so if you find products that you can feel on your lips annoying then the stain may suit you and you can then apply whatever moisturiser you find works on the lips after the stain has dried.

Sadly despite their advertisments to say they are against animal testing  Avon, Estee Lauder, and Revlon appear to have gone along with the painful animal tests in China without objection. So a huge black mark against the company from me.

01.08.2014 14:11

Advantages

• "Can tailor inside pockets to suit"
          • "Small and compact"
          • "carry on shoulder or by handle"
          • "Not heavy"
          • "Protects the camera and lens"

Disadvantages

• "Bigger than just a simple camera bag"
          • "The over shoulder strap is odd and hard to balance properly"

Camera bag with movable sections which protests the camer and bits but is quite big

I bought this thinking it would solve my husband' camera bag issue. He usually wraps a T shirt around the camera and puts it in a back pack which I didn't think was a great idea.

This bag is quite big but will still fit inside the back pack so he carries it inside his backpack.

Initially he said it was rubbish as the spaces didn't fit his camera and lenses. he then discovered that they were movable and fixed with velcro so you can make the spaces what ever size you need.

I don't think this is the perfect solution but it does hold my husband's SLR plus lens and our other cameras as well so they are all in one place, protected and safe from other stupid people putting their over sized hand baggage on top of our small back packs in the plane.

The inside pockets are made from a soft fabric and slightly padded for extra protection. There is a separate section at the top of the bag for what ever you want to put there and this opens with a different zip.

The main bag opens fully with the zip so you don't have to fiddle around getting things in and out.

Th bag is a bit big and fiddly to open to use as daily bag to carry around out and about. My husband tends to just carry the camera as it is with the lens in a small bag in his day pack. If we are in a city then we just take the small point and shoot so we don't look too much like tourists and also saves lugging a heavy camera around.

So it has pluses and minuses and I would think it depends on how much you are prepared to carry around with you and how patient you are with changing lenses etc.

01.08.2014 12:52

Advantages

• "Smells pleasant"
          • "effective scrub"
          • "Easy to use"
          • "Good waterproof container"
          • "Readily available in many shops"
          • "Cheap price"

Disadvantages

• "not much moisturising"
          • "leaves the scrubby bits in the bath"
          • "Not all natural ingredients"

A cheap body scrub that has sandy bits which get left in the bath

This is a pretty basic scrub available in most stores selling toiletries and many bargain shops. It is pretty cheap and usually costs around a pound.

It comes in a plastic screw top tub which is handy if you keep it on the bath or in the shower as the product does not end up getting wet inside.

I find it scrubs well but I prefer scrubs which are more natural and have shea butter or similar that moisturise as well. I also prefer scrubs that have dissolving scrubby bits like salt or sugar so that they don't harm the environment not leave bits in my bath. These are apricot stones ground so will decompose but they feel like sand in the bath or shower and I hate that.

It smells pleasant enough but not that great, it is not offensive but it isn't something I would say I like particularly.

So it does the job and is a good price but far from being a favourite of mine.

25.07.2014 20:37

Advantages

• "good sillage"
            • "reasonable price"
            • summery
            • "rose and exotic"
            • "lasts quite well"

Disadvantages

Agent Provocateur EDP exotic and floral and a good price

The house of Agent Provocateur is mainly a luxury lingerie fashion house but this scent is their signature fragrance. This scent was created in 2000 by Christian Provenzano for Agent provocateur.

PACKING IT UP

The bottle is the shape of a tear drop or hand grenade rounded at the base and is sort of china not glass so not clear. It is a pink colour and pretty plain but feels nice to hold. The only problem with bottles like this is you can't see what you have left.

TAKE NOTE
            Top notes are magnolia and India saffron
            Middle notes are gardenia, vetivert from Haitti, Moroccan rose and Egyptian jasmine
            The base notes are Amber, musk and cedar
            MY THOUGHTS
            Initially I could not detect anything floral but I got a bit whiff of the saffron, not sweet at all but rather earthy.
            >>>bbb>>>
            After about half an hour the floral notes developed and I could smell the jasmine and gardenia which are both very strongly heady perfumed flowers. I loved this stage, it was also quite soapy and quite strong. It carried well around me.
            >>>bbb>>>
            After an hour or so the scent was still very evident and the woodier, musky notes are hanging in there and really lingering nicely with a lovely cedar and musky scent.
            >>>bbb>>>
            I just love this one me as it has the notes I love I in the right mix. I love rose when combined with woody cedar or vetivert or patchouli as it gives depth to the rose and this does just that. This doesn't actually have patchouli but almost smells like it has.
            >>>bbb>>>
            Many people hate this perfume but it works on me but I also do like original and unusual scents. This is rose but so much more, it isn't light and pretty and feminine . It is more dark, sexy and heady with depth from the base notes coming through.
            >>>bbb>>>
            I loved it from the rose and amber saffron herby opening through to lovely warm woody and rose almost incense rose dry down. I find it quite exotic, a but sexy and one for the ladies who want a darker, deeper perfume as opposed to the light flirty feminine florals.
            >>>bbb>>>
            It costs around £30 for the 30 ml bottle so not bad value for an eau de parfam and this does last quite well on me and does also have pretty good sillage and carries well so not bad I feel.

20.07.2014 22:40

Advantages

• "nice descriptions"
            • "Pleasant characters"
            • "Easy read"

Disadvantages

• "huge plot holes"
            • "totally unrealistic"

Two people land on an island after a plane crash and survive

This was unashamedly chick lit. I read it in two nights so a very quick easy read. I actually quite enjoyed it as it was a bit different. You had to totally suspend belief at times but let''''s face it you often have to in books and films.

Anna was employed by the Callaghan family to tutor TJ on an island in the Maldives. The family were already at their villa and Anna and TJ were flying over a few days later.

Their seaplane crashed as the pilot suffered a heart attack. They were the only passengers and somehow they survived any shark attacks and arrived on an uninhabited island. They survived by eating breadfruit until miraculously things began to float onto the island from the crashed plane. These things included seats, the life raft and a few supplies in the life raft as well as Anna''''s suitcase, yes it apparently floated despite being full of clothes and basics like shampoo etc.

They survived many horrors and also swam with friendly dolphins who saved them from a shark. They became very close over the years, yes years, they were on the island. The Tsunami that devastated the Maldives was actually their saviour.

Life back in society and with families brought other problems which took the story in a different direction.

As I said, it is chick lit so everything was tidied up nicely in the end but I won''''t spoil it for you.

I did find the characters believable and well developed and their emotions and feelings were shown well. the writing was simple and a very quick easy read .

This is no prize winning novel but it was a fun, easy read and one that will be enjoyed by fans of chick lit. I can''''t see my husband wanting to read it.

If you take it for what it is, a pleasant yarn and not anything deep and meaningful then you might also quite enjoy it. There are totally unbelievable elements but provided you suspend belief at times and as I said take it as a good yarn set on a beautiful Maldives island.

You can''''t question anything too much such as why did no one look for these people on the islands around. How come the useful items from their crashed plane floated handily to their island? So many huge plot inconsistencies and impossibilities.

01.07.2014 23:14

Advantages

• "well researched"
            • "Believable characters"
            • "Beautifully written"
            • "Great story"

Disadvantages

• "The end section I found dragged a little"

The story of a Baptist Missionary and his family in the Belgium Congo

From the Blurb: ?The Poisonwood Bible is a story told by the wife and four daughters of Nathan Price, a fierce, evangelical Baptist who takes his family and mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959. They carry with them everything they believe they will need from home, but soon find that all of it -- from garden seeds to Scripture -- is calamitously transformed on African soil. What follows is a suspenseful epic of one family''s tragic undoing and remarkable reconstruction over the course of three decades in postcolonial Africa.?
            This is a brilliantly written book. the author cleverly uses different characters to tell each chapter and each character has her own voice and style.
            An American Baptist minister takes his wife and four daughters to the Belgian Congo. They take with them lots of things from the USA that they think will be useful or special treats. This included cake mixes which went solid before the birthday that the mother had taken them to bake in celebration.
            They are stuck out in a village in the middle of nowhere in a mud hot and left to cope. The father is a cruel controlling selfish man and it certainly backed up my feelings about missionaries and their need to convert the ''heathen''.
            The young girls'' observations of the local villagers were so perfect and told in such an honest and open way. I particularly enjoyed the older girl, Rachel''s chapters as she hated the place and was a typical blond teenage girl more interested in make up than culture.
            Adah was also excellent as her chapters were written in palindromes at times which really made you have to think.She hated her father and wrote everything down as she didn''t ever actually speak as a child. Adah learned French and the local language to an extent but only written down
            Leah was the twin of Adah and as a child she would work alongside her father and was the most influenced by his ideas as a child. She also befriended the local children and talked to them about the ways of the local people and their beliefs and learned their language too.
            The youngest child Ruth May was the first to play with the local children and taught them ''Mother May I''. She also explored the surrounding area and went into the forest with her local friends , learning a lot about the ways of the people and telling the reader in her chapters.
            Some pretty horrendous things happen to the family and every one of the women is affected by this time in Africa. When they had the opportunity to leave when the political situation became unwise for Europeans to stay the controlling father refused to let them leave.
            The writing style is great, you do have to concentrate at time, especially in Adah''s chapters.The story takes us from when the family first go to the Belgian Congo through to when the girls are grown and Mother is an old lady.
            I did find I was starting to lose interest a little towards the end and it could maybe have been a touch shorter. Although it was nice to have everything tidied up as so many novels kind of leave things up in the air.
            I would certainly recommend this as a thought provoking and cleverly written work of fiction. The author had lived in Africa and has done extensive research and it was obvious that she was an informed writer as you were reading the book.

23.06.2014 21:15

Advantages

• "not tested on animals"
              • "recyclable bottle"
              • "synthetic musk"
              • "quickly absorbed"
              • "Smells lovely"

Disadvantages

• "Not exactly full of natural ingredients"
              • "has parabens "

Body Shop White musk body lotion leaves me feeling soft and smelling sweetly sensual

About twenty odd years ago this was one of my favourite body lotions. I loved the smell and Body Shop was also one of my favourite shops. Now I am less excited by Body Shop since they sold out to L''Oreal. I know they state that they do not test on animals and are in favour of Fairtrrade and eco friendly products but somehow I don''t feel as confident as I used to. This small bottle of Body Shop White Musk was on sale a while back and one sniff too me right back to the 80s so I bought it. The smell is sweetly musky and subtle, really lovely and a smell of the 80s for me. The lotion is not a thick one, quite thin in fact but it does moisturise my skin nicely and leaves it with the lovely sweet musk aroma.The musk I am happy to read is not animal musk but rather a synthetic one created by mixing a blend of jasmine, rose, amber and wood. The bottle states it is Community Fair trade and it comes in a recyclable plastic bottle.The bottle is fairly plain clear but cloudy plastic in the same shape as all Body Shop lotions and gels come in. The lotion does however have parabens in it, more than one which I am less happy about.In fact it has a number of less than natural sounding ingredients so I am struggling to find which ingredients are the fair trade ones. I did like using this lotion as the smell was a real love;y blast from the past. It is a scent that you can wear day or night and is not too strong. It would blend with most perfumes I would think and not fight with this scent. This is a lovely body lotion and one I would buy again in the future but not just yet as I have had my fix for a year or so.