catsholiday

• Comments

Member since: 07.08.2008

• LG 42LB580V / LCD TV / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      08.01.2015 21:01

Advantages

• HD
      • "many features"
      • "nice looking"
      • "internet ready"
      • "no need for an ariel"
      • "fits onto a wall bracket"

Disadvantages

• "takes some getting used to"

Has more features than we will ever need to use and looks great too

We bought this for our main living room as we had resisted a TV in there for years. Because we now have our adult children coming to stay we felt we needed a TV where everyone could watch together.

We bought this from tesco Direct ad paid £379 and it was delivered to our house. We boughta bracket for about £40 from another iste and my husband set it all up physically. It looks neat on the wall and takes up very little room which is what we were hoping for.

My daughter and her partner set up the actually TV. We discovered that the aerial we had didn't work with then TV so we use it only on the internet. We got 3 months free NOW TV so chose the film package and have been enjoying those.

We can watch anything that you can get on NOW TV on on line and despite the fact the room it is in is far away from our modem it streams films really well so must have a good in built receiver.

The picture is really clear HD and the sound excellent. Even with fourteen people in the room we could all see and hear perfectly and four of those were children so not totally still and quiet.

The TV has Full HD (1920x1080) and Wi-Fi connectivity with built-in Freeview HD and connects to other devices via 3x HDMI sockets. It is also environmentally conscious as it has a superb energy efficiency class rating of A+.

By purchasing this TV from Tesco we automatically receive a free 5 year guarantee which is pretty good we thought.

The TV is also able to use the Smart Home menu navigation is you buy the unique Magic Remote but we have not botherd with this. They say that this magic remote is an intuitive control that uses gestures, voice and a scroll wheel.We felt the old fashioned remote was good enough for us.

You can also share your media to and from other devices using the SmartShare™ application from a PC/laptop, tablet or smart phone.I have not tried this as yet as we usually watch another TV we have in a small cosy room when there is just the two of us .

I believe the TV has more features than we will ever get around to using. It gets more of a challenge when we have our adult children staying as they do like to check out all new electric gadgets and see what they can do with them.

08.01.2015 20:40

Advantages

• "looks ok"
      • "easy to set up"
      • "delivered speedily"
      • "good price"
      • "big memory"
      • light

Disadvantages

• "none so far for us"

Great well prices, easy to set up computer from Zoostorm

My desktop is actually this one :Zoostorm Desktop Base Unit Intel Pentium 4GB Memory 1TB Storage W8 bought from tesco Direct for £229 to replace a Dell one we had had ten years that suddenly dies so a quick choice was made.

We have had it for 6 months now and so far it has exceeded our expectations. It was so easy to set up, I just plugged all the leads in and it sorted itself out. It is really light and easy to carry. It is big and the same size as a standard desktop floor standing base unit.

The unit measures Height: 40 centimetre, Width:18 centimetres, Depth:36 centimetres
      It Weighs 7.5 Kg so very light for a unit this size.

It uses windows 8 which takes a bit of getting used to and we bought the office suite that was compatible to go with it and again that went on fine with the code we bought.

It is pretty fast and can do all we want easily and quickly. It has a mega memory that will will never fill as we back up stuff on hard drives.

We lost our photoshop suite so went for a free serif one which seems to keep my husband happy enough.

It has Intel® HD graphics, 4GB RAM & 1TB hard drive and uses an Intel® Pentium® dual core processor.

The Operating System is Microsoft Windows® 8.1 64-bit and it has this fully loaded
      plus a trial of Office 365.

It has 6 USB ports,2 PCI-e 1x Slots, 1 PCI-e 16x Slots,It has no bluetooth in built but does have Integrated high definition audio. The mouse and keyboard both connect through USB ports and these came in the box with the computer along with the power cable and manual.

We stream movies and download them from iplayer etc and it has a great clear screen and does the job quickly despite us not having high speed internet as we cannot get cable and we out out in a village.

once you get used to windows 8 it is actually quite an easy system to use but we still are learning new tricks even after using windows 8 for a year now.

I would say is a you are looking for a decent priced unit and don't need fast gaming levels of memory then this does the job very well and the price is hard to beat.

• Sony XPERIA SP / Smartphone / 5 Readings / 3 Ratings
      08.01.2015 17:35

Advantages

• "okay camera"
      • "can have an SD card for media only"
      • "Feels nice"
      • "looks nice"

Disadvantages

• "cannot save contacts or apps to SD card"
      • "battery cannot be taken out or replaced"
      • "slow when first turned on "
      • "Often locks for no reason"
      • "Had so many issues and repairs in first 2 months"

Nice looking camera but with too many issues for me to recommend

After a day I could only make my phone calls when on speaker phone. It would not allow me to hear the other person at all unless on speaker phone. They swapped it for a new one.

So things were fine for about a month or so when the phone decided to lock me out. It didn't matter that I kept putting in the code I had chosen. It wanted a sim code. I looked that up on line and managed to sort that, unlocked the sim and changed the code to mine and guess what it locked me out. It got to the stage when I had to go back to the shop for them to sort it out. They fiddled around and managed to get it sorted but helpfully didn't know what had either caused the problem or what they had done to sort it.

Then the phone decided it wouldn't do anything at all another time so I took all the paperwork etc in hoping they would just swap it but no . This time they had to send it away. Yippee! I said what do I do about a phone. They offered to sell me a basic phone. I complained that I was paying a contract for using my phone on line . They asked if I had another phone. I still had my iphone 3 so back home I drive to collect that so that they can put a sim in that and allow me to use that on my contract till my phone came back. It did and it did work but once again EVERYTHING had gone off the phone and I had to start again putting everything on the phone as I had not saved them to the SD card as I had not put one in as yet. I have now but saving things on to that is not as simple as you might think!!

At this stage the phone was just six months old. Reception was great when making a call but all these other oddities were driving me mad

Tt was fine for about a month when the phone just locked. It would do NOTHING, it would not charge, or allow me to do anything. The man re set the phone and all was well. I have now been shown how to do this and have had to do it about once a month which surely should not happen.

It looks good and like a quality smart phone. The screen is clear and bright. It makes a great torch.

The camera can be turned to do a 'selfie ' by a 'button' on the screen and is not too bad a camera.

This phone does have a bar that lights up to alert you of new activities such as a facebook message ( blue) or a missed call (red) and that is quite handy

08.01.2015 17:22

Advantages

• "lasts well "
        • "fits precisely"
        • "doesn't affect the touch screen"
        • "protects the screen"
        • "EASY TO APPLY"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't look quite as nice as without it ony"

Protects your new phone screen from scratches

I had a screen protector on my iphone 3 and i looked as good as new after three years so as soon as I got this new phone I applied a screen protector to this as well.

It is quite easy to apply so long as you follow the instrictions and pull the righ parts off in order. Make sure you get the corners and little holes in the correct places and then the screen protector will stay put and not catch on anything and will last for ages.

I have had mine ona year and it does have marks but shows no sign of peeling off at all and the screen under neath will be as good as new I know because I had one on my old phone and took it off to check.

It doesn't affect the touch screen capability and although the screen doesn't look as shiny and new after a while I prefer the screen protector to get a few scratches than my actual screen.

They are pretty cheap I think about £ 1 at most so for the sake of having an unscratched screen they are worth every penny.

It is a simple enough thickish plastic sticky backed clear protector - what more can I say?

• Benefit Benetint / Make Up / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
        15.12.2014 18:02

Advantages

• "lasts ages"
        • "easy to use"
        • blends
        • "multi purpose"
        • "lasts well"

Disadvantages

• "Quite expensive"
        • "easy to spill"
        • "stains clothes "
        • "dries my lips"

Quality multi purpose lip and cheek stain from Benefit

This is a product that is one of my make up stand bys. It isn't cheap iitially but I find it lasta ages.

It comes ina box and inside is a pot a bit like a nail varnish glass pot and the applicator is similar to a nail varnish one too.

I use this to giv e abit of volour to my cheeks and also as a lip colour. It is a liquid, like water only a deep red> kind of like red food colouring. As it is so very liquid and the pot only has the brush applicator lid you have to be careful not to knock it over as it would make a nasty mess.

It stains when it gets on your clothes so be careful not to drip any.

I like the fact that you can apply a little an blend it in or add more if you want a deeper colour. On my cheeks I put just a little but on my lips I sometimes apply a few coats.

It does not protect your lips at all. In fact it is quite drying so I apply a good quality gloss or lip balm over the lip stain to give extra gloss and protection.

I used to buy this regularly but have found that Superdrug have a copy cat product that does the same job for a lot less money so i now buy that.

I would recommend this as a good multi purpose blusher and lip stain but there are cheaper copies available if you are on a limited budget.

14.12.2014 23:48

Advantages

• "vegan friendly"
        • "organic ingredients"
        • "not tested on animals"
        • "smells lovely"
        • "natural ingredients"
        • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "not very exciting packaging"

Natural organic lavender scented shower gel from a great company - Lavera

I have tried a number of Lavera products through the various beauty sites I am a member of and this is one that I really liked.

It kind of reminds me of Weleda Lavender bath products in its scent. This comes in a plastic recyclable tube and for £6.45 you get 150 ml of product which i think is not a bad price for a natural product.

This lovely Lavender shower gel can also be used in the bath and i have also used it as a bubble bath as well. It is lovely but is not a thick product however it leaves my skin feeling calm and not at all dry. the Organic Aloe Vera extract is perfect for sensitive and dry skin too.

The scent is natural so not sweet and it is quite subtle but does carry well into the room and does last on my skin after i have dried off too,

You don't need loads for a decent lather so it lasts quite well.

lavender is not only calming for the skin but also relaxes the mind too . Lavera use only mild natural surfactants to gently cleanse the skin leaving that lovely relaxing fragrance and nice feeling not irritated skin.

Lavera use organic ingredients and have the NATRUE Certified.

The shower gel is Vegan friendly too.

I would recommend this and other Lavera products. They don't have fancy packaging but what is inside is great quality stuff

• Lush Charisma Skin Tint / Make Up / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
        14.12.2014 23:20

Advantages

• "blends well"
        • "easy to use"
        • "not tested on animals"
        • "ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "Seems expensive but goes a long way"
        • "Limited shelf life"

A great blendable Lush bronzer cream full of nice ingredients

Lush brought out their make up range a year or so ago and i was keen to try it. This is a small pot of brown gloop, It is not solid , more like a soft cream.

I use my finger to blend this and give a bit of colour to my face.. I use a little on my cheeks as a blusher or blend it thinly all over if I want to look tanned.

It has no smell really and looks slightly coppery in colour. Charisma has these lovely ingredients in it cocoa butter, oatmeal, and almond and jojoba oils

This is a multi purpose product as it can be used as contouring cream, I also mix it with my moisturizer and even my foundation at times to give a healthy, sun-kissed look, and of course it can be applied as bronzer in the high points of your face.

This is a Lush product so cruelty-free , and this one is suitable for vegans. It is made with mostly natural products and safe synthetics.

It gives a natural colour with no danger or looking orange which i hate. You can use as much or little as you like depending on the colour you want.

Limited life as it is not full of preservatives so keep it somewhere cool and dark and use it the time stated on your pot. I do find it lasts longer than Lush say though in fact.

It costs around £12 to £14 for the small pot but it lasts well and is a multi purpose product that is easy to use and mainly natural ingredients.

• Ginger / Plant / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
        14.12.2014 23:01

Advantages

• tasty
        • "good for you"
        • "many culinary uses"
        • "Easy to grow"

Disadvantages

• "none for me"

Fresh root good for all kinds of cooking and so tasty as well as good

I have grown ginger when living in the tropics and it has a lovely flower. it is a lily family plant. You use the roots for the spice.

I use the root fresh and grated in curries, in tea, in a lemon and honey drink when I have a sore throat and also use it in preserves.

If you freeze a fresh root in chunks then you cam grate it frozen for use in cooking so I always have some in my freezer.

Ginger is a warming food/spice and it is also used in beauty products. I have ginger shampoo and bath gel both from natural based companies.

I have chopped ginger to add to oils to use in my bath or rub as a body oil and that tones well and smells good but doesn't keep so only use a little ata time.

Ginger can also be bought ground in a powder form and that is used in baking a lot for ginger bread and cookies and so on. I don't tend to use the pwdered kind for my savoury dishes but I guess you could if you wanted but it doesn't taste as string and fresh I find.

If you want to have a try at growing ginger then take a root that looks like it is about to sprout like a potato and plant it in a pot or in the ground. It should grown in a season but will not survive a frost so if in a pot bring it inside for winter.

• Bio Oil 200ml / Skin Care / 3 Readings / 1 Rating
        14.12.2014 17:34

Advantages

• "not a natural oil"

Disadvantages

• expensive
        • "sits on top rather than soaking in"

Not as good as the advertising says it is - expensive waste of money

I bought this about a year ago to help with a scar on my shoulder from an operation and it did absolutely nothing to help at all.

Since then I have been to a Weleda day and learned a lot about oils. Petroleum based oils sit on the skin while natural plant based ones are absorbed into the skin hence doing far more good.

This is a pink coloured oil, a combination of various oils but basically petroleum based. It has a faint scent which is not unpleasant and it is a thin runny oil.

I find it is greasy ad sits on my skin, it did nothing for my scars and I ended up using it just as a body oil after my bath or shower just to use it up. This hurt as it was expensive to buy . I discovered I would have been better to use almond , oilive or even sesame oil bought from a good quality source an cold pressed as these have most benefits. they would have been cheaper and done a better job.

So a waste of money, a lot of advertising hype. Go to Holland and Barrett and buy a quality cold pressed oil instead.

14.12.2014 15:52

Advantages

• "comparable price with others"
        • "cleans hands well"
        • "okay for sensitive skins"
        • "pump is efficient"
        • antibacterial

Disadvantages

• "hard to find now"

Handwash with antibacterial for little hands and sensitive hands

I like to have anti bacterial handwash in the downstairs loo and the kitchen. the downstairs loo because that is where the grandkids wash their hands and the kitchen because of food preparation.

This is a nice one as it is for sensitive skins and one of my grandchildren has a tendency to eczema so we do have to be careful with her.

It has a nice picture of an animal on the front sometimes a dolphin and sometimes a penguin , not seen any others but there may be others and the kids like that.

This is a clear gel and smells freshly pleasant and slightly citrus like.You don't get a huge amount of lather from one pump push but enough to clean my hands well.

I don't know why but I have had issues sourcing this recently and so not sure if it is still around - Amazon say it is out of stock.

A good hand wash for kids and sensitive hands although it isn't moisturising and I find I need to apply hand cream after washing my hands to keep them from drying out.

13.12.2014 22:21

Advantages

• "leaves skin scrubbed and moisturised"
        • "smells gorgeous"
        • "Not animal testing"
        • "Natural ingredients"
        • "Ethical Company"

Disadvantages

• "leaves bath/shower slippery"
        • "messy to use"
        • price

Exotic natural escape to the Caribbean body scrub from Aveda

Aveda say they are inspired by : "connecting beauty, environment and well-being."

Their Mission statement is " is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society. at aveda, we strive to set an example for environmental leadership and responsibility, not just in the world of beauty, but around the world."

This is a lovely exotic scented body scrub. The scrubby bits are salt and Caribbean cane sugar and this is mixed in with yummy and softening coconut, avocado and passionfruit oils. It smells wonderfully exotic like a tropical island cocktail or suncream. The combination of amyris, vetiver, bay and lime all blend to transport me to my tropical island.

I love scrubs with oils as it feeds my skin at the same time as getting rid of dead skin making my skin feel refreshed and leaving it looking healthy and 'radiant'.
        All i do is wet my skin in the shower then rub myself all over especially on my thighs and hips and dry skin places. I then stand under the shower and rinse off.
        Massage onto wet skin-or dry skin, for more exfoliation-then rinse thoroughly. Sometimes I do use this in the bath too but that means I have to stand up to apply the scrub then lie back in the bath to allow it to soak off.

The only downside is that it does make the shower or bath a bit slippery so be aware and make sure you give it a good clean after using this to save an accident.

This is a body scrub and should NOT used on the face. It is a natural product so keep an eye on the best before date or use within 6 months and keep the lid on so it doesn't get full of water.

The pot is recyclable and the product costs £31 for nearly 16 oz which in my opinion is expensive but you are paying for a quality natural product.

This is not a product I would buy regularly although I did like using it .

13.12.2014 20:09

Advantages

• "smells good"
        • "pretty product"
        • "natural ingredients"
        • "Not tested on animals"
        • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "leaves bath slippery"
        • "expensive for one bath"
        • "scent not that strong in the bath"

Pretty and eco friendly natural bath treat from Bomb Cosmetics

Bomb Cosmetics make lovely looking bath products that make great gifts. The bath melts like this are better in my view that their bath bombs which smell of almost nothing in the bath.

I like the fact they use natural ingredients and do not test on animals and their products are really pretty too.

This is a very pretty product which smells lovely and fruity and sweet and the scent is quite strong out of the bath. It looks like a mini iced cupcake iced with pink swirly icing, it even comes in a cupcake paper case.

This is a bath creamer or melt which means it is full of lovely moisturising natural butters for softening and moisturising your skin while soaking in the bath. i love these but you do need to be a bit careful when getting out of the bath as it makes it slippery.

I always have to clean the bath after using one of these as it does leave a greasy film in the bath.

Each of these melts costs around £2,20 but they also sell for three for £6 which is how I buy them. It still makes an expensive bath but you could chop each in half and still have a nice scented moisturising bath I think.

You can buy Bomb Cosmetic products from a number of beauty salons and gift shops, amazon and also on line. They are a responsible company using natural products with as little packaging as possible. The products are eco friendly as well as human friendly too.

I would certainly recommend Bomb Cosmetics as a company as they make lovely products which make great, very pretty gifts and are nice to enjoy in the bath.

13.12.2014 19:35

Advantages

• "nice smell lasted for the day"
        • "really moisturised my feet"
        • "smells good enough to eat"
        • "lots of nice natural ingredients"
        • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "Not vegan friendly"

Fabulous smelling foot product, gloopy but so wonderfully moisturising

I was lucky enough to win this through facebook I think but anyway I didn't pay for it. My tube was a smaller size but did give me a good trial of the product an I was sorry when it finished. The usual full sized product costs around £12 for just over 100g so it is not a cheap product at all.

This smells wonderful, like a Caribbean cocktail, coconut yet sweet and yummy. It kind of melted onto my feet and left them feeling fresh with the slight minty ingredient and the coconut combination made my feet smell lovely as well as feeling soft and well moisturised.

The product is kind of gloopy and thick but when you apply it to warm feet it kinds of melts onto you feet.

The full sized product is 4.34oz and the tube is recyclable and, of course, the product is not tested on animals.

Burt says :'Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Creme helps prevent and protect dry, cracked and rough skin with deeply penetrating emollient botanical oils.' It promises 'the softest, smoothest feet you've ever experienced'.

This is honestly one of the very best foot products I have used. It not only feels lovely but I just cannot get enough of the yummy smell of it. When I take my socks off in the evening the scent is still evident.

13.12.2014 18:12

Advantages

• "not greasy"
        • "skin feels fresh and moisturised "
        • "scent lasts on the skin"
        • "soaks in quickly"
        • "smells lovely"
        • "not tested on animals"
        • "Ethical Company"

Disadvantages

• "Not a heavy lotion for dry skin"
        • "Not as good a company as when it was founded"

A nice sweet but light and not sickly scented refreshing body lotion from Body Shop

I have my doubts as to how natural and fair trade Body Shop is since they sold out to L'oreal. When you look at the contents of the products many are far from natural and I think they are expensive at full price so I only ever buy anything from Body Shop when they have their half price sales.

I like the smell of this as it is quite a fresh fruity and floral one but nit too heavy at all. the lotion is quite liquid compared to their Body butters and is light but does soak in to my skin quickly leaving it feeling cool, fresh and moisturised but not greasy at all so I can get dressed pretty soon after applying this all over my body.

This is shown with a pump dispenser but mine came in the standard Body Shop rounded body lotion type of plastic recyclable bottle with a flip top lid. Towards the end of the product I have to store my bottle upside down so that the body lotion is at the dispenser end and that way I can get the last bits out. i have also unscrewed the lid and put my finger in but that was harder and didn't get much more out.

I do buy Body Shop lotions on sale as I find them to be quite light and refreshing and not greasy. they are usually nice smelling too. This is a lovely scented one , really fresh and light and I have bought it a couple of times in the last year.

13.12.2014 17:34

Advantages

• "smells sweet and fresh"
        • "does not dry skin"
        • "gentle on skin"
        • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "has surfactants"
        • "has parabens"
        • "Not a natural product"

Nice enough everyday bath product from Imperial leather

This is a bath product that is an everyday price. You don't need a lot to wash your body with and it cleans without drying out the skin too much.

It smells pleasant , not exactly natural but perfectly nice, sort of floral sweet is the best description I can think of.

The bottle is plastic and recyclable through your usual plastics recycling. The lid is a flip top lid then you squeeze the product out through the hole. the contents are a creamy white liquid that is reasonably thick and you can then apply this to your body using your hand, a cloth or if you like a net scrubby thing.

I would not say this moisturises my skin but it may dry out out less than other shower or bath gels. Personally I would choose to use a bath melt or something with shea or cocoa butter in for a truly moisturising bath.

This is one of the many bath. shower products that I buy for everyday use. It is not what I call a luxury product nor one I would give to anyone as a gift.The bottle is quite pretty and looks nice enough on the side of the bath. It is an interesting shape, I am not sure if it is supposed to make it easier to hold in the bath or shower or if the swirling shape is supposed to just be attractive and a bit different.

You can buy this for around a £1 at many discount stores so easy to find on the High street or in a supermarket.

I would say this is a good family product that all could use though some men may find it a bit of a girly scent.