catsholiday

• Comments

Member since: 07.08.2008

• Benefit Benetint / Make Up / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      15.12.2014 18:02

Advantages

• "lasts ages"
      • "easy to use"
      • blends
      • "multi purpose"
      • "lasts well"

Disadvantages

• "Quite expensive"
      • "easy to spill"
      • "stains clothes "
      • "dries my lips"

Quality multi purpose lip and cheek stain from Benefit

This is a product that is one of my make up stand bys. It isn't cheap iitially but I find it lasta ages.

It comes ina box and inside is a pot a bit like a nail varnish glass pot and the applicator is similar to a nail varnish one too.

I use this to giv e abit of volour to my cheeks and also as a lip colour. It is a liquid, like water only a deep red> kind of like red food colouring. As it is so very liquid and the pot only has the brush applicator lid you have to be careful not to knock it over as it would make a nasty mess.

It stains when it gets on your clothes so be careful not to drip any.

I like the fact that you can apply a little an blend it in or add more if you want a deeper colour. On my cheeks I put just a little but on my lips I sometimes apply a few coats.

It does not protect your lips at all. In fact it is quite drying so I apply a good quality gloss or lip balm over the lip stain to give extra gloss and protection.

I used to buy this regularly but have found that Superdrug have a copy cat product that does the same job for a lot less money so i now buy that.

I would recommend this as a good multi purpose blusher and lip stain but there are cheaper copies available if you are on a limited budget.

14.12.2014 23:48

Advantages

• "vegan friendly"
      • "organic ingredients"
      • "not tested on animals"
      • "smells lovely"
      • "natural ingredients"
      • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "not very exciting packaging"

Natural organic lavender scented shower gel from a great company - Lavera

I have tried a number of Lavera products through the various beauty sites I am a member of and this is one that I really liked.

It kind of reminds me of Weleda Lavender bath products in its scent. This comes in a plastic recyclable tube and for £6.45 you get 150 ml of product which i think is not a bad price for a natural product.

This lovely Lavender shower gel can also be used in the bath and i have also used it as a bubble bath as well. It is lovely but is not a thick product however it leaves my skin feeling calm and not at all dry. the Organic Aloe Vera extract is perfect for sensitive and dry skin too.

The scent is natural so not sweet and it is quite subtle but does carry well into the room and does last on my skin after i have dried off too,

You don't need loads for a decent lather so it lasts quite well.

lavender is not only calming for the skin but also relaxes the mind too . Lavera use only mild natural surfactants to gently cleanse the skin leaving that lovely relaxing fragrance and nice feeling not irritated skin.

Lavera use organic ingredients and have the NATRUE Certified.

The shower gel is Vegan friendly too.

I would recommend this and other Lavera products. They don't have fancy packaging but what is inside is great quality stuff

• Lush Charisma Skin Tint / Make Up / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      14.12.2014 23:20

Advantages

• "blends well"
      • "easy to use"
      • "not tested on animals"
      • "ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "Seems expensive but goes a long way"
      • "Limited shelf life"

A great blendable Lush bronzer cream full of nice ingredients

Lush brought out their make up range a year or so ago and i was keen to try it. This is a small pot of brown gloop, It is not solid , more like a soft cream.

I use my finger to blend this and give a bit of colour to my face.. I use a little on my cheeks as a blusher or blend it thinly all over if I want to look tanned.

It has no smell really and looks slightly coppery in colour. Charisma has these lovely ingredients in it cocoa butter, oatmeal, and almond and jojoba oils

This is a multi purpose product as it can be used as contouring cream, I also mix it with my moisturizer and even my foundation at times to give a healthy, sun-kissed look, and of course it can be applied as bronzer in the high points of your face.

This is a Lush product so cruelty-free , and this one is suitable for vegans. It is made with mostly natural products and safe synthetics.

It gives a natural colour with no danger or looking orange which i hate. You can use as much or little as you like depending on the colour you want.

Limited life as it is not full of preservatives so keep it somewhere cool and dark and use it the time stated on your pot. I do find it lasts longer than Lush say though in fact.

It costs around £12 to £14 for the small pot but it lasts well and is a multi purpose product that is easy to use and mainly natural ingredients.

• Ginger / Plant / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      14.12.2014 23:01

Advantages

• tasty
      • "good for you"
      • "many culinary uses"
      • "Easy to grow"

Disadvantages

• "none for me"

Fresh root good for all kinds of cooking and so tasty as well as good

I have grown ginger when living in the tropics and it has a lovely flower. it is a lily family plant. You use the roots for the spice.

I use the root fresh and grated in curries, in tea, in a lemon and honey drink when I have a sore throat and also use it in preserves.

If you freeze a fresh root in chunks then you cam grate it frozen for use in cooking so I always have some in my freezer.

Ginger is a warming food/spice and it is also used in beauty products. I have ginger shampoo and bath gel both from natural based companies.

I have chopped ginger to add to oils to use in my bath or rub as a body oil and that tones well and smells good but doesn't keep so only use a little ata time.

Ginger can also be bought ground in a powder form and that is used in baking a lot for ginger bread and cookies and so on. I don't tend to use the pwdered kind for my savoury dishes but I guess you could if you wanted but it doesn't taste as string and fresh I find.

If you want to have a try at growing ginger then take a root that looks like it is about to sprout like a potato and plant it in a pot or in the ground. It should grown in a season but will not survive a frost so if in a pot bring it inside for winter.

• Bio Oil 200ml / Skin Care / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      14.12.2014 17:34

Advantages

• "not a natural oil"

Disadvantages

• expensive
      • "sits on top rather than soaking in"

Not as good as the advertising says it is - expensive waste of money

I bought this about a year ago to help with a scar on my shoulder from an operation and it did absolutely nothing to help at all.

Since then I have been to a Weleda day and learned a lot about oils. Petroleum based oils sit on the skin while natural plant based ones are absorbed into the skin hence doing far more good.

This is a pink coloured oil, a combination of various oils but basically petroleum based. It has a faint scent which is not unpleasant and it is a thin runny oil.

I find it is greasy ad sits on my skin, it did nothing for my scars and I ended up using it just as a body oil after my bath or shower just to use it up. This hurt as it was expensive to buy . I discovered I would have been better to use almond , oilive or even sesame oil bought from a good quality source an cold pressed as these have most benefits. they would have been cheaper and done a better job.

So a waste of money, a lot of advertising hype. Go to Holland and Barrett and buy a quality cold pressed oil instead.

14.12.2014 15:52

Advantages

• "comparable price with others"
      • "cleans hands well"
      • "okay for sensitive skins"
      • "pump is efficient"
      • antibacterial

Disadvantages

• "hard to find now"

Handwash with antibacterial for little hands and sensitive hands

I like to have anti bacterial handwash in the downstairs loo and the kitchen. the downstairs loo because that is where the grandkids wash their hands and the kitchen because of food preparation.

This is a nice one as it is for sensitive skins and one of my grandchildren has a tendency to eczema so we do have to be careful with her.

It has a nice picture of an animal on the front sometimes a dolphin and sometimes a penguin , not seen any others but there may be others and the kids like that.

This is a clear gel and smells freshly pleasant and slightly citrus like.You don't get a huge amount of lather from one pump push but enough to clean my hands well.

I don't know why but I have had issues sourcing this recently and so not sure if it is still around - Amazon say it is out of stock.

A good hand wash for kids and sensitive hands although it isn't moisturising and I find I need to apply hand cream after washing my hands to keep them from drying out.

13.12.2014 22:21

Advantages

• "leaves skin scrubbed and moisturised"
      • "smells gorgeous"
      • "Not animal testing"
      • "Natural ingredients"
      • "Ethical Company"

Disadvantages

• "leaves bath/shower slippery"
      • "messy to use"
      • price

Exotic natural escape to the Caribbean body scrub from Aveda

Aveda say they are inspired by : "connecting beauty, environment and well-being."

Their Mission statement is " is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society. at aveda, we strive to set an example for environmental leadership and responsibility, not just in the world of beauty, but around the world."

This is a lovely exotic scented body scrub. The scrubby bits are salt and Caribbean cane sugar and this is mixed in with yummy and softening coconut, avocado and passionfruit oils. It smells wonderfully exotic like a tropical island cocktail or suncream. The combination of amyris, vetiver, bay and lime all blend to transport me to my tropical island.

I love scrubs with oils as it feeds my skin at the same time as getting rid of dead skin making my skin feel refreshed and leaving it looking healthy and 'radiant'.
      All i do is wet my skin in the shower then rub myself all over especially on my thighs and hips and dry skin places. I then stand under the shower and rinse off.
      Massage onto wet skin-or dry skin, for more exfoliation-then rinse thoroughly. Sometimes I do use this in the bath too but that means I have to stand up to apply the scrub then lie back in the bath to allow it to soak off.

The only downside is that it does make the shower or bath a bit slippery so be aware and make sure you give it a good clean after using this to save an accident.

This is a body scrub and should NOT used on the face. It is a natural product so keep an eye on the best before date or use within 6 months and keep the lid on so it doesn't get full of water.

The pot is recyclable and the product costs £31 for nearly 16 oz which in my opinion is expensive but you are paying for a quality natural product.

This is not a product I would buy regularly although I did like using it .

13.12.2014 20:09

Advantages

• "smells good"
      • "pretty product"
      • "natural ingredients"
      • "Not tested on animals"
      • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "leaves bath slippery"
      • "expensive for one bath"
      • "scent not that strong in the bath"

Pretty and eco friendly natural bath treat from Bomb Cosmetics

Bomb Cosmetics make lovely looking bath products that make great gifts. The bath melts like this are better in my view that their bath bombs which smell of almost nothing in the bath.

I like the fact they use natural ingredients and do not test on animals and their products are really pretty too.

This is a very pretty product which smells lovely and fruity and sweet and the scent is quite strong out of the bath. It looks like a mini iced cupcake iced with pink swirly icing, it even comes in a cupcake paper case.

This is a bath creamer or melt which means it is full of lovely moisturising natural butters for softening and moisturising your skin while soaking in the bath. i love these but you do need to be a bit careful when getting out of the bath as it makes it slippery.

I always have to clean the bath after using one of these as it does leave a greasy film in the bath.

Each of these melts costs around £2,20 but they also sell for three for £6 which is how I buy them. It still makes an expensive bath but you could chop each in half and still have a nice scented moisturising bath I think.

You can buy Bomb Cosmetic products from a number of beauty salons and gift shops, amazon and also on line. They are a responsible company using natural products with as little packaging as possible. The products are eco friendly as well as human friendly too.

I would certainly recommend Bomb Cosmetics as a company as they make lovely products which make great, very pretty gifts and are nice to enjoy in the bath.

13.12.2014 19:35

Advantages

• "nice smell lasted for the day"
      • "really moisturised my feet"
      • "smells good enough to eat"
      • "lots of nice natural ingredients"
      • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "Not vegan friendly"

Fabulous smelling foot product, gloopy but so wonderfully moisturising

I was lucky enough to win this through facebook I think but anyway I didn't pay for it. My tube was a smaller size but did give me a good trial of the product an I was sorry when it finished. The usual full sized product costs around £12 for just over 100g so it is not a cheap product at all.

This smells wonderful, like a Caribbean cocktail, coconut yet sweet and yummy. It kind of melted onto my feet and left them feeling fresh with the slight minty ingredient and the coconut combination made my feet smell lovely as well as feeling soft and well moisturised.

The product is kind of gloopy and thick but when you apply it to warm feet it kinds of melts onto you feet.

The full sized product is 4.34oz and the tube is recyclable and, of course, the product is not tested on animals.

Burt says :'Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Creme helps prevent and protect dry, cracked and rough skin with deeply penetrating emollient botanical oils.' It promises 'the softest, smoothest feet you've ever experienced'.

This is honestly one of the very best foot products I have used. It not only feels lovely but I just cannot get enough of the yummy smell of it. When I take my socks off in the evening the scent is still evident.

13.12.2014 18:12

Advantages

• "not greasy"
      • "skin feels fresh and moisturised "
      • "scent lasts on the skin"
      • "soaks in quickly"
      • "smells lovely"
      • "not tested on animals"
      • "Ethical Company"

Disadvantages

• "Not a heavy lotion for dry skin"
      • "Not as good a company as when it was founded"

A nice sweet but light and not sickly scented refreshing body lotion from Body Shop

I have my doubts as to how natural and fair trade Body Shop is since they sold out to L'oreal. When you look at the contents of the products many are far from natural and I think they are expensive at full price so I only ever buy anything from Body Shop when they have their half price sales.

I like the smell of this as it is quite a fresh fruity and floral one but nit too heavy at all. the lotion is quite liquid compared to their Body butters and is light but does soak in to my skin quickly leaving it feeling cool, fresh and moisturised but not greasy at all so I can get dressed pretty soon after applying this all over my body.

This is shown with a pump dispenser but mine came in the standard Body Shop rounded body lotion type of plastic recyclable bottle with a flip top lid. Towards the end of the product I have to store my bottle upside down so that the body lotion is at the dispenser end and that way I can get the last bits out. i have also unscrewed the lid and put my finger in but that was harder and didn't get much more out.

I do buy Body Shop lotions on sale as I find them to be quite light and refreshing and not greasy. they are usually nice smelling too. This is a lovely scented one , really fresh and light and I have bought it a couple of times in the last year.

13.12.2014 17:34

Advantages

• "smells sweet and fresh"
      • "does not dry skin"
      • "gentle on skin"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "has surfactants"
      • "has parabens"
      • "Not a natural product"

Nice enough everyday bath product from Imperial leather

This is a bath product that is an everyday price. You don't need a lot to wash your body with and it cleans without drying out the skin too much.

It smells pleasant , not exactly natural but perfectly nice, sort of floral sweet is the best description I can think of.

The bottle is plastic and recyclable through your usual plastics recycling. The lid is a flip top lid then you squeeze the product out through the hole. the contents are a creamy white liquid that is reasonably thick and you can then apply this to your body using your hand, a cloth or if you like a net scrubby thing.

I would not say this moisturises my skin but it may dry out out less than other shower or bath gels. Personally I would choose to use a bath melt or something with shea or cocoa butter in for a truly moisturising bath.

This is one of the many bath. shower products that I buy for everyday use. It is not what I call a luxury product nor one I would give to anyone as a gift.The bottle is quite pretty and looks nice enough on the side of the bath. It is an interesting shape, I am not sure if it is supposed to make it easier to hold in the bath or shower or if the swirling shape is supposed to just be attractive and a bit different.

You can buy this for around a £1 at many discount stores so easy to find on the High street or in a supermarket.

I would say this is a good family product that all could use though some men may find it a bit of a girly scent.

13.12.2014 17:08

Advantages

• "moisturises dry skin"
      • "easily absorbed"
      • "smells great"
      • "all natural ingredients"
      • "no parabens"
      • "not tested on animals"
      • "Ethical company"

Disadvantages

• "limited shelf life - 6 months"
      • "The price"

Lovely rich massage oil with natural ingredients to nourish my dry back.

I have been able to try this lovely product through being a member of a number of beauty trial sites. I have never heard of the company until I got to try a few of their products in different beauty boxes.

The company state that:
      "We love the inexhaustible variety of plants and flowers and the healing properties of their natural oils and extracts. There’s an art and a science to working with them. Taking the purest natural ingredients, we create blends that enhance the oil’s inherent properties, turning them into rich, beautifully scented products that deliver fantastic results."

This is a body/massage oil that has essential oils known for their nourishing properties and these are macadamia, coconut and evening primrose . The carrier oils are also all natural plant based oils which are easily absorbed by the skin. In this the carrier oils are coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba seed oil. So lots of lovely natural oils to nourish dry skin here.

You can use this before a bath or shower but personally I use mine afterwards and apply it to damp skin as the oils go further and also trap the moisture into my skin.

I find this is a great one to use after my morning or evening bath and it is specially great if I can get my husband to massage me with thus not greasy just healthy and well moisturised.

Because this is an all natural product it does have a limited shelf life so once opened use within 6 months and store it somewhere cool and dark. If the product goes a bit cloudy or there is sediment that is fine as this happens with natural oils. This should be kept away from children and avoid the eyes which is obvious really.

This costs around £40 for 100 ml so it is not a cheap product but you don't need to use loads to get good results. If you apply it to damp skin the oil spreads easily I find this is great for the areas of my skin that are very dry such as my back as I can't reach it myself. I also like it on my neck as then the aroma rises as I apply it and I can smell it as I drift off to sleep.

I thoroughly recommend this even though it is a bit expensive . It smells lovely , so natural and yet exotic and the geranium is one of my favourite essential oils and it combines beautifully with the creamy vanilla and heady ylang ylang.

13.12.2014 16:02

Advantages

• "no SLES"
      • "PH neutral"
      • "no mineral products"
      • "mo alcohol"
      • "no parabens"
      • "leaves skin moisturised"
      • "soaks in quickly"
      • "Smells nice and not overpowering"
      • "not tested on animals stated"
      • "some natural ingredients"

Disadvantages

• "No quite all natural ! 92% in fact"
      • "Do sell in China so tested on animals there"

PH balanced gentle skin lotion that smells gently fresh and fruity

I got this body lotion in one of my recent beauty boxes and was happy to use it and found it a nice gentle lotion that soaked in quickly into my skin leaving it feeling well moiturised and comfortable.

I like the scent and the packaging in minimalist - an upside doe tube with the product labeling but nothing flashy at all.

It costs around £7 - £8 for about 200 ml which is not bad for a slightly more natural up market brand.

Korres traces its roots back to being the first homeopathic pharmacy of Athens where herbal preparations based on traditional Greek remedies were produced.

Bergamot Pear Body Milk is a 92% natural product that is created with organic ingredients and anti oxidants. Not sure what the other 8% is but natural and organic products to me should be that not just 98% natural.

Bergamot Pear Body Milk is quite liquid and soaks in quickly, it smells fruity and fresh but is no way overpowering. You can smell in on my skin but it does not overwhelm perfume at all.

Korres state they are ' being faithful to the belief of natural, environmentally friendly ingredients' which is good but is this 100% true. I have read differing opinions.

This product has natural butters, oils and waxes to moisturise skin all day long. It is kind to my skin and has caused no irritation while I have used it.

I think the price is not bad for a 92% natural and effective product. It has no parabens, mineral oils, silicons, SLES,alcohol, retinol, animal bi products. It is vegan friendly and PH neutral so lots of good pints here.

The main oil in this is almond oil, sweet almond oil which is known for its inflammatory and immune-boosting effects, soothing properties, and is an effective skin cleanser without causing any irritations to the epidermis.

All in all I was happy to use this but i do wish they would NOT sell their products in China. if they are as ethical as they claim they should refuse to sell in china unless they can guarantee NO animal testing.

13.12.2014 15:33

Advantages

• "SPF included"
      • "Say not tested on animals"
      • "some natural ingredients"
      • "smells nice"
      • "stays for a good while on my lips"
      • "'tastes' nice"

Disadvantages

• "Sell products in China which does test all products on anaimlas"
      • "Not as natural as they claim"

Lovely nourishing lip balm but not as ethical and natural as claimed

I received this lip balm from a beauty site in exchange or reviewing it some time ago.

I liked the lip balm and found it smelled nice and gave a nice aroma as I breathed through my mouth. It lasted well on my lips and sunk in rather than just lying on top as a greasy block. There are a few natural ingredients such as Shea butter and Sunflower wax which both help to nourish lips while the Mandarin oil conditions dry lips and also smells great too

Sadly this company professes to be animal friendly yet sell its products in China so has lost its leaping bunny status as all products sold in China undergo awful tests on animals.

They also claim to be a natural ingredients product based company and yet the list of ingredients in this appear far from natural to me which I find very sad.

I was so disappointed to find that this is not only a far from natural product but also the company are claiming to be against animal testing while going secretly and selling in China. If they truly believed in NOT testing on animals their ethics would win over their desire for extra sales.

I am sorry Korres but although I did like the lip balm and found it did a great job of moisturising as well and protecting my lips even in very hot places as well as in very col winds, i will not be buying this again as I hate it when companies try to deceive their customers.

I realise that not all products contain all natural ingredients but as Korres claim to be full of natural ingredients then they should be.

Having said that there are some great ingredients in this lip butter/balm and it does also have sun protection too which is great when travelling in hot places or maybe skiing places.

It is a lovely rich balm that instantly hydrates and soften the lips and since I have been using it I have not had any chapped lips. i will continue to use it till it is finished but won't be purchasing any more from korres.

KEY INGREDIENTS

12.12.2014 21:15

Advantages

• "floral heady scent"
      • "pleasant scent"

Disadvantages

• "does not last long on me"

'Maybe baby' if I find it at a good price - fresh fruity floral from

I do quite like some Benefit products. Porefessional is one of my all time always must have products. Their perfume looks very nice and is in nice original bottles but I think they are expensive for what is in fact a light cologne sort of scent.

Benefit Cosmetics was founded by twin sisters in San Francisco, California in 1976 They began as a small beauty boutique which offered help for beauty problems with 'quick fix' products.

This perfume sells for around £30 for 100 ml and 50 ml is about £20 so it is not the most expensive but still,a price that you would expect a quality product from.

Benefit describe their Maybe bay as ""Our warm and inviting fragrance captures a playful tumble of white blossoms. Sparkling and flirtatious...maybe baby."

This is a fruity floral perfume that has top Notes of apricot and white ginger,middle notes of fresh water blossoms of cyclamen, lychee and bergamot and finally base notes of white musk, Himalayan poppy and warm peach.

It is a lovely feminine scent that is fresh and appealing but sadly on me it just doesn't seem to last that long which is disappointing.

the perfume comes in a clear glass,transparent bottle so you can see the pretty pink product inside and know exactly how much is left at any time. It has an interesting black lid and a spray nozzle under that. I found the spray was efficient sending out a nice amount of fine mist so that I wasn't soaked but enough to get a nice coverage and scent on my skin and clothes as I spray it over my head so it falls onto my hair and body.

I do quite like this but I have others I prefer so probably wouldn't buy it again unless I saw it at a bargain price on Ebay!

stso the pale pink liquid can be seen. The branding is minimalistic but it works well; it's a nice and subtle bottle which I like - I hate over the top, tacky perfume bottles! The black lid is quite an unusual shape and it is easy to remove and put back on. T