cirsty

User that trust you
    • Lush Hair Doctor / Hair Care / 20 Readings / 19 Ratings
      11.03.2014 23:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

good product but the smell is far too much.

I've always loved Lush products, the smell of the shop always entices me to try out every product they have however the price tag has always put me off! I've had their bathbombs as Christmas gifts and purchased a few of their products however I've never tried any of their hair products. My hair is very long and thick, and at times can be very difficult to manage without the use of high quality straighteners and a truck load of serum! I read about Hair Doctor on their website when I was browsing and it has apparently worked miracles for other customers, so I thought I'd take a chance and see what the hype was about!

Lush promises:
      "Fuller's earth, a type of clay, is terrific on hair as it absorbs oil and grease. Irish moss powder gives the Hair Doctor its thick consistency and works with the coconut and almond oils to soften the hair, while jojoba oil sinks into the scalp to nourish it. After a short while, you'll feel your head start to tingle; this is the menthol in the mask getting to work stimulating the scalp's blood vessels and allowing this doctor to truly treat your hair."

So for £6.95 you can purchase a 95g tub which, in my opinion, is rather expensive considering there are hair masks available for much of the same price for much more product. I get the feeling that I am paying for the idea of 'organic' as the world is going crazy to be free of preservatives! The packaging is like all other Lush products, basic black tub with white writing and a quirky description of the product at the side. The product itself is an unattractive browny/green colour which actually reminded me alot like dung, obviously very appealling! The smell is the worst part about it for me, it absolutely stinks. The menthol is overwhelming and when I was applying it to my hair it was making my eyes sting and reminded me far too much of being unwell and having to smother myself in Vicks vapour rub!

The consistency is thick however was easy to rub between my hands to apply to my hair. As suggested I applied this to my hair when it was dry. Much to my surprise it was very easy to smooth through my hair, my hair is very long and can take an age to apply products however I was able to apply this to my hair root to tip in about 2 minutes. It was also easy to wash off my hands and didn't leave any unsightly stains/marks on my clothes. After I applied the product I popped a shower cap on for a few hours and let it do it's work. The recommended time is 20 minutes but I like to get my moneys worth!

Washing the product out was an easy task which also surprised me as the consistency reminded me a lot of clay which I thought would take an age to wash out. Afterwards I applied my usual shampoo and conditioner then I was ready to style my hair. Again, the smell was overwhelming and I felt like I'd been slapped in the face with a cold flannel smothered in Vicks. I hate the smell of menthol because as I said it reminds me of being unwell, and lets just say my nose is definitely unblocked and probably will be for the next 6 months!

As I blowdried and straightened my hair, much to my horror the smell of menthol throughout my hair was really strong despite using my usual shampoo and conditioner. This was really disappointing because my hair felt beautifully soft and blow dried in a jiffy, and my straighteners glided through my hair. After applying my usual serum and preparing my hair, it looked and felt amazing. I'd gotten so many compliments about the condition of my hair which I was pleased about considering I'd only used it once! For the first time in about a year my hair actually felt healthy from root to tip, like a full service for my hair!

I would recommend this product but only under a few conditions.. if you're happy to spend a fortune on hair products by all means, and if you like, no, LOVE the smell of menthol and don't mind it stinking out your bathroom then this is the product for you. I've used this twice and unfortunately it was finished, though I wouldn't note this as a negative as my hair is very long and thick and tends to require more product in it anyway. It has improved the condition of my hair but due to the smell I think I'll have another look around for the perfect product for me!

16.02.2014 19:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

quick fix, brilliant product

Being on night shift has taken the life out of me, I've turned night into day and all my routines have gone with it. I eat breakfast for dinner and put my night cream on in the morning and my body has really felt the jolt of the routine change! My skin has gone all dry and in desperate need for some TLC, and since night shift has left me so tired and drained 9 times out of 10 I can't be bothered with face masks and all that. I was in my local Body Shop (I usually go online but this time I decided to check some of the new products out) and had a browse at the much sought after vitamin C range which I've heard lot's of people rave about! There isn't much to the range, only a few products but due to my desperate need to bring my skin out of a coma I decided to purchase The Body Shop Vitamin C Reviver.

The Body Shop promises:
        This instant radiance-booster refreshes and smoothes skin and enhances its natural glow.
        Enhances natural radiance
        Contains light-reflective particles
        Gives skin a silky-smooth finish
        Can be worn alone or under make-up

Now, as I've stated in previous reviews about products from The Body Shop, it can be an expensive shopping trip. For 30mls you fork out £14.00 which to me makes a rather small dent in my finances. Despite this price I was lucky enough to go into the shop when they were offering promotional deals with other fantastic products, so I walked out grinning like a Cheshire cat with a bunch of new products for a good price :) The packaging is bright and eye catching, really radiating the idea of revitalisation! The little bottle is sleek and fits in nicely with my other products whilst really standing out, it is complete with a swift pump that allows you to easily control how much product you want to use and the product pretty much glides out nicely. The scent is out of this world, deliciously orangey and not so strong that it makes me feel sick however I can sometimes still smell it a few hours later!

The consistency of the product feels like a thick serum, orange in colour and smooths on beautifully. It actually reminds me of a make up primer with a ridiculously delicious scent! A small amount covers my face and it creates a flattering matt effect, perfect for wearing on its own or under make up. On night shift I don't like wearing make up because the central heating dries out my skin making it either rough or really oily, and when I try to cure it with extra moisturiser I get spots or it makes it look even oiler than ever! With this product my skin is nourished throughout the shift and stays looking matte and bright. I've found that this product is hard working yet light enough to be smoothed onto the sensitive skin under my eyes.

Generally, I really like this product. After using it for 2 weeks I've found that it's a fantastic product to use as a pick me up and to keep my make up in place. My skin appears brighter and well nourished when wearing this product however I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in the condition of my skin, I still have to comply with my regular routine of exfoliating and moisturising, particularly wearing a light moisturiser under the serum (The Body Shop's Aloe Vera Cream is a favourite!) I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a gentle yet hard working serum or primer to give your skin that little extra boost!

24.01.2014 08:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

Luxurious however works better as a cleanser rather than a scrub.

I love soap and glory and I've kinda made it my life mission to try out all of their products! Although expensive some of their products are as luxurious as a 5 star spa treatment and can make me feel like an Egyptian queen after a simple bath or shower. This Christmas I was lucky enough to get a lavish big gift set and Scrub of your life was part of it! I'm a big fan of scrubs, as my skin can become dry and dull so for a good pampering treat I like to use a scrub 3 or 4 times a week in the shower.

Soap and Glory promise:
        "It's thick, it's foamy, it's fantastically fresh, it's satisfyingly stuffed with just the right ratio of scrubbing beads. Scented with our Original PinkTM fragrance."

Okay so for a 200ml Scrub it'll set you back £7 which for me is quite expensive, my wage as a nurse doesn't stretch too far after all the bills have been paid and is more expensive than other scrubs available. However boots often offer deals on soap and glory products (such as 3 for 2) so if you're desperate have a look out for these. The packaging is very classic, basic delicious pink colour with bold scripture ensuring that the user knows exactly what they're getting. The tube consists of a flip top cap to ensure that minimum mess is made however as the product is so thick you've got to put some elbow grease into getting the desired amount out. As you can imagine as the product becomes less the harder it is to get it out, after a while I just cut open the top to scoop the product out myself as it was very stubborn on budging out the lid!

The consistency of the product as I said is very thick and feels a bit gooey. It looks cool with the light coloured gel with little pink balls through it (which I assume do the exfoliating!) Its not the type of product that's easy to rub between your hands and apply so my method is squeezing out a 50p sized blob and rubbing it against my arm/leg/stomach and working around the area. The product foams almost instantaneously and actually feels like a luxurious cleanser rather than a hard working scrub. It can be easily worked on my skin after it foams however loses the 'scrubby feeling' quite quickly!

After using the product my skin does feel soft but I must admit, I don't feel thoroughly exfoliated. The product diminishes quite quickly and unlike other scrubs I've used before, it doesn't last longer than about 3/4 weeks. This product works well with other Soap and Glory products such as The Righteous Butter but I can't help but feel that the body butter works harder than the scrub. I don't think I would really recommend this product, it is a nice treat but not if you're looking for something to work hard on your skin to buff and get rid of those pesky skin cells to reveal bright skin. Unfortunately for me, it's a bit of a slacker!

21.01.2014 19:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

beautiful book

I picked up 'Before I die' in chance at a book shop in the Highlands of Scotland years ago. I can't stand anything sci-fi or fantasy and all that vampire crap makes me so bored, I love a good rom-com or anything realistic enough that I can imagine the characters being my friends, enemies, family, neighbours or even, myself. I've read a good few books that have shaken me to the core and changed my whole outlook on life, and I definitely feel that 'Before I die' is one of them, and I'll tell you why!

Synopsis:
          "Tessa has just a few months to live. Fighting back against hospital visits, endless tests, drugs with excruciating side-effects, Tessa compiles a list. It's her To Do Before I Die list. And number one is sex. Released from the constraints of 'normal' life, Tessa tastes new experiences to make her feel alive while her failing body struggles to keep up. Tessa's feelings, her relationships with her father and brother, her estranged mother, her best friend, her new boyfriend, all are painfully crystallized in the precious weeks before Tessa's time finally runs out. "Before I Die" is a brilliantly-crafted novel, heartbreaking yet astonishingly life-affirming. It will take you to the very edge."

Characters:
          The main characters are Tessa, the feisty and dark teenager who is fighting a losing battle against cancer, Tessa's Dad, the worrier, Tessa's brother, the carefree image of Tessa when she was younger, Zoey, the self absorbed best friend, Tessa's Mum, the former run away and now fighting to become no1 Mum and of course, Adam, the troubled loner who happens to be Tessa's neighbour and they fall inlove throughout the story. I feel that Downham should be warmly credited for her characterisation as the reader can find faults in all of the characters but can't help but feel affection and warmth towards them. Tessa is vengeful and you can really feel her rage and pessimism right from the start and although her circumstances are devastating she fights to have life as normally as she possibly can by doing outrageous things that teenagers today take for granted as everyday life. Despite her hard exterior, Tessa is very sensitive and notices things around her that most people don't, such as discussing her awareness of human reactions especially towards her illness. As a reader I felt like I was experiencing everything with Tessa and really bonded with her. Tessa and her family have a push/pull relationship, her brother maintains the normality that Tessa often craves and she enjoys spending time with him as she acknowledged more than once throughout the book that he is prone to be kept on the back burner due to her illness. Tessa's Dad frets after her health and ensures that she is kept on a highly nutritious diet and on the look out for new therapies to prolong her life and keep her safe and sound from harm, which at times irritates Tessa (and the reader.) As a reader I didn't feel like I got to know Tessa's Mum as she left for years when Tessa was little and appeared back on the scene when Tessa became ill. She is presented as a caring, happy-go-lucky character which at times clashes with Tessa's dark and snippy character. Zoey and Adam compliment eachother well as Tessa's close friends as Zoey is a self absorbed typical teenager who cares about boys, parties, drugs and going to college which is everything Tessa wishes she had. Adam reflects Tessa more than she realises, as he spends his days gardening and looking after his Mum who appears to have her own troubles too. Adam at first appears strange and it takes a while for the reader to grow to him, however he is presented as a caring, thoughtful young man who comforts Tessa in the hardest days.

Themes:
          The more obvious theme of 'Before I die' is how teenagers are affected by cancer, especially in a society where the stigma of 'the cancer patient' is patronising and almost sacred. Tessa is the opposite of what you would picture as a typical 'cancer patient' as she's ballsy, feisty, humorous and so full of life despite her physical limitations which is very enlightening and really opens your eyes to what it's ACTUALLY like to be 16 years old with cancer. Downham has evidently researched the subject well and although there is a lot of medical jargon thrown in, it makes the story more believable and also provides the reader with a more adequate insight into life with cancer. The story does include scenes of when Tessa's actions and experiences affect her physical health (when she jumps into a freezing cold river because her friend told her to) and as a reader you really experience these with her and feel the pain in your own bones with clever use of imagery.
          Another powerful theme used by Downham is also live life as full as you can. When Tessa felt well enough, she created a list of relatively big things (sex, drugs, see the world..) that she hoped to achieve before she died, but as she got closer to her last days the little things were more important (love, kisses, spring.) As the reader, I created my own list with Tessa too. At the beginning of the book I made my very own bucket list of big, extravagant things I'd like to do before I die but as I read on, I realised that it's the little things that get me through my day.

Final thoughts:
          This book was so incredibly powerful. Tessa really touched my life and this book gave me invaluable insight into what it's like to live with cancer as a teenager and the bravery of families all over the country who are dealing with the very situation of watching a dear, loved one fading away infront of you. Jenny Downham created a masterpiece with this book and created the scenario beautifully, and I'm sure teenagers with terminal illnesses all over will be able to relate to Tessa in some way. I felt the frustration from Tessa, the pain from Tessa's Dad and the love from Adam. This story was absolutely beautiful and despite reading it about 100 times already, I still cry as much as I did when I first read it.

10.01.2014 06:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not for me, didn't appear suitable for regular use

For some weird reason, lip balms are my vice. If I had the money to buy every lip balm ever made I probably would. I've got dozens of them in all of my drawers, handbags and pockets and I keep buying more and more! I've tested so many different lip balms and some work and some don't, but when I saw that Maybelline introduced a lip balm range Baby Lips I was excited to try it out!

In my local boots I was able to purchase the Hydrate Baby Lips for £2.99. For a lip balm from a very popular brand I was surprised at the price as I expected it to be more expensive, but from what I've found from previous purchases of lip balms this seems to be around average. The packaging is very attractive and the range is dressed up in fun, bright colours which made me want to buy them all! The Hydrate balm consists of a bright baby blue applicator with a clear lid and bright pink writing and white product, the presentation is fun and girly which would definitely appeal to the younger generation too.

Using the product is easy, the lid is firm and easy to take off and the twisting action is effective. The product itself glides onto the lips easily and has a gentle, subtle scent that is very pleasant yet not overpowering. I've had products before that smell so strong that it makes me feel sick when I use it for a while, but I don't think this is a problem with this lip balm!

After using this for a while I noticed that it was stripping my lips of all it's natural oils and I found myself reaching for lip balm more often than usual. This was really frustrating because at work I don't have time to constantly moisten my lips with lip balm and licking my lips made them sore and chapped. The more I seemed to be using the worse my lips were, and after a week my lips were chapped, flakey and very sore.

This product provided a nice shine to my lips and was comfortable to wear however just didn't make the cut for everyday use for me. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who likes to use lip balm regularly, as I work in conditions where the central heating is high and the temperature outside is low which plays havoc with my skin! I think it would be a nice balm to wear occasionally and as part of a make up routine (I've got a feeling it would be lovely under lipstick) but for me, this will be going in 'that' drawer never to be used again for a while!

10.01.2014 05:35

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good product if you know how to use it!

So my next few reviews are probably going to focus on products that I've purchased to specifically assist me through night shift. I've got big eyes but naturally they look quite sleepy (even after a full sleep) so when I'm feeling sleepy it looks worse! I'm a bit of a first timer to lush products, I've had their bath sets as Christmas gifts throughout the years but I'm trying a few of their products here and there and after having a browse in their website I settled on Lush a Feeling Younger Skin Tint to give my skin a little boost.

So by using this product, Lush promise me that:
          "Feeling Younger contains 'magic orange' pigment which works as a reflector on the skin, making it look bright and youthful. You can use it in lots of ways - as a highlighter on the brow bone and eyelid to really open up the eye; on the cheekbone for a youthful glow; under the eye to minimise the appearance of dark circles; or on the décolletage for a sexy shimmer. The words came from Lady Helen's original list - but we thought everyone likes to feel younger every day - so it didn't need to go in the wheel."

What's quite impressive about Lush is that their products are handmade with fresh, natural ingredients that they claim will work better on your skin and are also kinder to the environment. What's not so impressive is that anything I buy from Lush seems to leave quite the dent in my purse! Their products are very expensive, particularly to a bargain hunter like me. For £12 I picked up an itsy bitsy 20g pot which I must admit made me sweat a little, but to my slight delight the pot was filled right to the brim! The packaging is boring and consists of a clear pot with a black lid stating what's inside. Nothing too creative however offers a distinctive image of the typical lush product!

The consistency of the product is creamy and glides onto the skin very easily which was surprising as I've used highlighters before that need to take a bit of work! I'm absolutely crap at make up tips and tricks, I buy the stuff and hope it looks nice when I apply it with minimal effort, but this product is easy to see where blending is needed. I've been using this on my eye lids to give my eyes a little boost, however I think it looks absolutely ridiculous under my eyes (maybe I'm not applying properly) so I've been sticking to areas easy for a make up novice to work on like my eye lids and cheek bones, and what a difference! My eyes look bright, awake and (appear) eager to get on with the shift.

So after using the product for a while I've found that applying with a make up brush provides more believable results and the product remains intact with a little translucent powder. Over all, I'm really impressed. Initially I was apprehensive due to the price of the product and if I feel like I've paid too much for something I worry that I'll be disappointed and feel that I've wasted my money but I dodged the bullet with this one! I've used only tiny amounts at a time and I'm delightfully surprised at how long this product lasts, however I've heard that Lush products go out of date quickly due to all their natural products so I've been letting my sister use it too so that it doesn't go to waste! I would recommend this to anyone who knows how to use a highlighter, I think it's a product that has a fine line of looking fabulous or ridiculous so make sure you know what you're actually doing before you use it haha.

10.01.2014 05:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lovely treat for my skin that's gentle and kind to the skin,

Working nightshift really takes it toll not only on my mind, social life and sleep pattern but on my skin too. At my work place, the heating is cranked up and with lack of sleep, heat and sweating my skin suffers badly! I've tried many make up tips to try and mask the tiredness but the best thing for a person to do is to take care of the skin under the make up. I'm a big fan of the body shop and haven't yet found any skin care products that work for my skin than from this store, such as vitamin e and the aloe Vera range. I've been using the aloe vera day and night creams (well, the night cream in the morning when I go to bed and the day cream before I apply my make up before my shift at 8pm..) and I've found it to work really well with my aching skin! I picked up the Aloe Vera Protective Restoring Mask with the intention of soothing my beat up skin!

The Body Shop can be particularly expensive at times however as I've discussed in previous reviews, www.thebodyshop.co.uk often has fantastic deals that your purse will love! During the festive period before I started on nights I snapped up £50 worth of products for £25, I was very pleased with this!

This mask is £12 for 100ml and the packaging is very typical of the body shop. It's simplicity really gives a professional impression however the colours very cleverly impersonate the intention of the product's results ie soft greens and whites to insinuate calm and soothing. It's a small, easy to open pot that is white enough for you to be able to scoop enough of the product out. One of my pet hates is dip pots where you have to use your fingers to get the product out, so I recommend using clean fingers when applying the product to avoid transference of infection!

Since I've been using this mask (around 3-4 times a week) I use it when I get in from night shift around 9am to prepare for sleep. The product smooths on very easily and feels incredibly soothing and glides onto my skin without much effort which, believe me, is very comforting after a 12 hour night shift! The texture is very creamy and because of this I had the impression that I would have to put on a lot but with each application I only need about two 50p blobs to cover my face generously. The mask feels very pleasant to wear and isn't the kind of mask that dries, it provides the moisture and cooling effect like a soft, wet flannel :) after about 15/20 minutes I use cotton pads to remove the excess product and splash my face with some tepid water to maintain that fresh feeling.

After using this product for about 4 weeks I feel that it is very beneficial for my tired skin and I look forward to an extra treat after work. Although I absolutely adore this range, I have problems with dry, rough skin around my nose and forehead so inbetween masks I use a sea salt exfoliator to take care of this. On a positive note the aloe vera range works well with this and has given my skin a nice glow! My skin feels soft, cared for and this really makes the night shifts a little more bearable!

I would recommend this product to anyone that has sensitive skin, it's very gentle and doesn't have that drying effect on the skin that most masks have. My skin feels nourished and it appears to have taken care of little niggling products such as excess oil and itchiness caused by the irritation of central heating and the cold weather. Although the product is rather expensive I would urge anyone thinking of buying this range to keep a look out for deals on thebodyshop.co.uk and save a fortune! If you have sensitive skin that's easily irritated and needs gentle nourishing, I would steer towards this product :)

04.01.2014 02:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

great, cheap product!

I've got long hair. I've been growing it for years now and find it a total nightmare to control at times! You see, I've got red hair which is thick, unruly and can't decide whether it's curly or frizzy so it just mixes it up and decides to be both. I've been straightening my hair since kitty was a cat too so it also plays havoc with my hair, ironically making it frizzier than usual. I've splashed out on the most expensive products for my hair in form of serums, leave in conditioners, hair masks and blah blah blah, none of them actually making that much of a difference. Actually, some do more harm than good! I recently went through a stint of constantly using Tresemme which left my hair flakey and dry, so had to move onto head and shoulders.. expensive! I was staying at my sisters for a week and was horrified that she was using Alberto Balsam shampoo. She has the same hair type as me, and insisted that it was great..

At £1 a bottle in most shops, it's hard to pass up. It's often tucked away in the middle of the expensive stuff do easily missed! They're attractive bottles with pleasant colours and scents to choose from. Easy to use flip caps for easy pouring in the shower or bath and easy grip bottles for convenience. Putting my initial snobbery aside, the bottles actually look quite nice and their scents remind me of the shampoo I used to use years ago when I was a kid (juicy apple anyone?)

The consistency of the shampoo feels thick and lathers up easily, the scent really bursts out and I enjoyed this aspect the most! There were alot of bubbles through my hair as I was washing and felt really clean when I washed it out. As opposed to other products I've used, my hair felt clean and I was assured that the shampoo had properly washed out, as I've had to stand for a few extra minutes in the shower to be totally assured that my hair isn't going to be greasy when I dry it! Along with the conditioner my bathroom smelled amazing and my hair felt clean and thoroughly cared for when I stepped out of the shower. After towel drying my hair surprisingly only took a few minutes to dry with the hairdryer and felt bouncy and soft.

As irritating as this made me feel, this shampoo and conditioner was more effective and provided me with better results than any more expensive product I've tried previously. My hair feels soft, clean and smooth after using this for over a month and my scalp feels well looked after. As far as salon quality goes, I still have frizzy hair at times and my split ends need looking after but for an overall product I would rate it 5 stars. I would recommend this product as it's inexpensive, does the job and smells fantastic. There are alot of products out there with price tags that would make your eyes water, but I would stick to this brand. I would also recommend using aragan oil in your hair, much more effective and cheaper :)

04.01.2014 02:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

fantastic product that does it's job effectively however is pricey!

I need a good exfoliator. I've got loads for my body that work a treat but my face really needs it. I have dry cheeks, a flaky/greasy nose, spotty chin and a shiny forehead. Yes, very attractive. I've tried loads of different face washes but they were either too harsh or not 'scrubby' enough and I was starting to get very frustrated until I read in a magazine that a woman was having the same problem as me and was recommended in the beauty section to try out Ocean Salt from Lush.

When having a look on the website I realised that EVERY SINGLE ingredient is natural, and they actually tell you in the description exactly how they made it so you know what you're getting. I always struggled with looking at the ingredients of products and worried that they would be as effective as rubbing acid on my face but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this product consists of very simple ingredients such as avocado butter and lime oil. At £13.25 per 250g, the stuff ain't cheap but I'm quite familiar with Lush products and have faith in them!

The tub is very classic of Lush, no muss no fuss. There isn't much to it apart from a black tub with white writing. Very bohemian I feel! It looks fantastic on my shelf with my other beauty products and it really stands out considering the basic packaging. Again, with the dip pot. I always make sure I have clean hands before using this to avoid transferring bacteria onto my face from my hands. The product itself looks really lovely, a nice attractive bluey colour and actually looks like the sea. The scent isn't over powering either it's got a nice hint of lime through it which is nice and refreshing.

A little goes a long way, and when I say little.. I really mean a tiny scoop covers my full face. When I first peered into the pot I felt rather scared of rubbing those great big salt crystals into my face but it feels lovely. My skin seems to react better to salt than the manufactured scrubs with the likes of sand and the salt felt beautifully soothing against my face. With a small scoop I was able to massage this into face evenly until the majority of the salt had melted and washed off easily. One word of advice; MAKE SURE YOUR MOUTH IS CLOSED TIGHT BEFORE WASHING THIS OFF. The taste is absolutely horrid!

When drying my face I waited on that all too familiar tightening feeling across my face that I often experience when using any sort of product on my face. To my absolute surprise it never came! My skin felt so soft after use and my moisturiser glided on afterwards!

I've been using this scrub for about 4 weeks, 3/4 times a week and I've never looked back. I would definitely recommend this product to absolutely anyone, my skin feels absolutely wonderful and it's definitely given it a new lease of life. I was starting to feel really down at the state of my skin and felt that it was ageing way beyond it's years but this product has turned all the lights on and has almost eliminated all my usual skin problems. I can imagine that the price would turn others off, Lush do tend to be rather expensive compared to other products and I'm sure this is down to the quality of their ingredients. This product is very high quality and I don't think I'll ever look back!

04.01.2014 01:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

an all round fantastic product, great for those with sensitive skin or for a little boost during the

The body shop is one of my favourite cosmetic shops, their products are natural, reliable and when you're clever enough to check their website regularly for deals.. good value! I used to avoid using their stuff because it always seemed so expensive but I have their app installed and regularly find fantastic deals such as 50% off orders. Before I apply my foundation I like to have some moisturiser on, but I couldn't find one that absorbed into my skin and didn't make my skin feel greasy.

The body shop promises: This dermatologically tested daily moisturiser hydrates skin that needs more gentle care.
            Gentle hydration
            Leaves skin soft and smooth
            Fragrance, colour and alcohol-free
            No added preservatives

For a 15ml pot I paid £4, the pot is quite small but for the past 6 weeks I've been using this and I'm about 3 quarters of the way through. The pot is a soothing mint green colour which gives the impression of a gentle moisturiser, packaging for the body shop is incredibly basic yet effective! There isn't much that grabs your eye however I actually quite like the simplicity of their packaging. It is a dip pot which is one of my pet hates as it's a breeding ground for germs, and I always make sure I clean my hands before use to make sure I'm not transferring bacteria onto my face. The pot is very compact and easy to carry around with you in your handbag or even your coat pocket for those long journeys home from work when your skin might need a little boost.

There isn't any scent to this product which is comforting, especially since I bought this with the intention of using something that wasn't full of the usual junk that comes with a moisturiser. My skin often flares up at this time of year with the cold winds and central heating, and I tend to have either greasy and spotty or dry and flaky skin. The consistency feels a little like a thin body butter and is easy transferred from the pot onto my skin, it smooths on easily and a little definitely goes a long way. I tend to use this when I'm on nightshift on the ward, the central heating really dries out my skin and along with tiredness I need something to give my skin a little boost and also I find it very comforting rubbing this into my skin as it feels soothing.

I've noticed a difference in my skin since I've started using this, it smooths on easily enough and absorbs quickly leaving my skin feeling refreshed and soft. The fact that it isn't full of junk really benefits my skin and at times feels like a drink of water for my face! I use it before I put on my make up and it works well with my foundation, caring for my skin under make up and allowing my skin to breathe.

I would recommend this product to anyone with sensitive skin or for a little extra between day and night cream. I've dried different moisturisers to use during the day and found them too thick or greasy and that they actually irritate my skin more. I can use this product at any time of the day; for a little moisture on the train home, waking my skin up during the night shift or as part of the beauty regime. It's one of The Body Shop's cheapest facial moisturisers and although it doesn't come with any fancy bells and whistles or promises great things, it definitely does the job and soothes my skin at this harsh time of year.

03.01.2014 23:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

not impressed with product, feels horrible on lips and rather expensive.

As far as Soap & Glory goes, I love them. I've tried so many of their products and have fallen inlove, especially with their high quality moisturisers that leave my skin feeling smooth and healthy and their scrubs that seem to bring my zombie skin after weeks of nightshifts back to life. I'd never tried any of the Soap & Glory make up range but with the assumption based on their body products I wasn't too nervous. Santa was generous enough to leave the The Yule Monty gift set by Soap & Glory under the tree this Christmas which included Sexy Mother Pucker lipgloss along with other great smelling goodies.

The product consists of a smart looking little tube full of promise, and Soap & Glory claim: "Britain's hottest selling lip plumping gloss, Soap & Glory's bestselling Original Formula SEXY MOTHER PUCKER includes ingenious PLUMPING MICROSPHERES that explode in volume up to 10x when they come in contact with water (they're like tiny, dehydrated little sponges that expand when they get wet) and an exclusive microcirculation-stimulating extract to visibly enhance lip volume. Amazing. Addictive."

At usually £9.00 a tube from Boots it's a little more than I would normally pay for a lip gloss, infact I tend to steer away from lip glosses altogether and just stick to a simple shiny lip balm. The tube is smart and compact which adheres to the classic Soap and Glory style; simple, stylish and very, very girly! Rather than being kitted out with a spongey applicator stick this tube requires squeezing to get some product out. The scent is delicious and again, classic Soap & Glory with a subtle yet good quality smell that is a delicious!

Upon application, I noticed that it went on smooth and was easy to cover my lips evenly with a very small amount. The colour is a subtle pink, and as I've got pale skin the colour suited me well without screaming "LOOK AT ME!!" (which is totally not my style!) The lip gloss provided a nice shine which looked even and not too heavy on my lips, making my pout look very kissable indeed if I do say so myself! So it's all going pretty well right now, but then the unbearable tingling/stinging started!

After about 5 minutes when I started to make my way downstairs to get the party started I noticed that my lips started tingling. I was aware that this product has "lip plumping formula" and I'd tried these kind of products before that induce a little tingle to make you feel like your lips are swelling but it goes away after a while. As time went on my entire mouth felt numb and sensitive, and sipping my drink felt uncomfortable. After a while I ended up just wiping the lip gloss off which fortunately put an abrupt stop to the tingling, I was terrified I was having an allergic reaction! I didn't even notice any difference to my lips apart from feeling really weird, which was very disappointing considering I walked around feeling like I'd replaced my mouth with a rubber ring for a sexy pucker which was promised!

I wouldn't recommend this product, as a female in Western society I am well aware that there is the idea of 'beauty is pain' but I think I'll stick to gentler products that soften my lips and don't cause such discomfort! The colour, texture and consistency was all well and fair but the sensation really crossed all these out for me. I didn't wear the product long enough to feel the benefit due to the discomfort and I don't think I'll be trying it out again! As this product was part of a gift I wasn't too disheartened that it didn't work out for me, however if I'd paid the £9.00 from Boots I'd be seriously cheesed off.

29.12.2013 19:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great product with promising results :)

Santa was very generous this year and brought me a Soap & Glory Yule Monty set to open up on Christmas morning. This may or may not have had anything to do with it being on special offer throughout a small period of the festive season at £27 a pop for a number of their fantastic products, but either way I was absolutely over the moon! I'm a big fan of the soap and glory sets however I can't afford to use their products on a regular basis (let's face it, they cost a fortune) so I look forward to Christmas and Birthdays! I haven't tried many of the products in this year's Christmas set, and one of those was Peaches and Clean.

This product is 200ml of promise, stating "3 in 1 wash off deep purifying cleanser" and promises to "smooth, purify, revitalise, de log, boost circulation, re-energise skin, melt away make up and suitable for all skin types." The packaging is very attractive and really girly which sold it for me. It's a lovely soft pink colour and looks very attractive in my bathroom full of girly things! The scent is faintly peach which suits me fine, as I can't stand the smell of peaches but I miraculously enjoy the smell of this. The packaging consists of a sleek 200ml bottle and an effective pump which is beneficial for bacteria control and controlling how much you would like to use.

Applying the product is very pleasant as the consistency is milky however not too thin, around 2/3 pumps is enough to cover my face and neck which indicates to me that I'll be getting a lot of use! It smooths onto my skin like a dream and covers my skin evenly. It doesn't foam up or anything and feels lovely and silky on my skin. For the past week I've been alternating between this product every night and a scrub every few days which appears to be working well. My skin has a lovely silky feel and it has that lovely 'well looked after' feel. One thing about using this every night is that it can leave my skin feeling a little bit tight, and although I don't have sensitive skin I would advise buyers who do so to skin test this first.

My skin feels baby soft and the product is a great pampering treat at the end of a hard shift. It removes my make up effectively and sets me up for some beauty sleep. This does however make my skin feel tight and uncomfortable but as soon as I apply moisturiser it's fine. I would recommend this product as it's a nice treat for any girl who likes her spa like treatments! At £8 a pop it's expensive compared to other ones on the market, and the price is usually what puts me off soap & glory.. But hey, if you can afford it why not?

19.11.2013 14:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great product!

As you may tell from my previous reviews, I'm a massive fan of lip balms. Well, not so much of a fan but more of an enthusiast of trying to find 'that' lip balm! I've literally got about 50 different balms and butters at the bottom of my handbag and in my pockets, some have worked and others not so great. The weather has a huge impact on the condition of my lips and I really need a product that I don't have to apply every five minutes as I work as a nurse and it's not good practice to carry anything other than a pen all day and also something that will actually work! Going from the cold winds of the outside into central heating and air conditioning really plays havoc on my skin (especially my lips) so I'm on the lookout for something REALLY special. I'm a fan of The Body Shop (see my previous review on their website, it's fantastic!) and although their products can be pricey I find them the most effective especially when it comes to their skin care products such as facial moisturiser and body butters.

I picked up the Aloe Lip Care which is a small 15ml squeezable tube that promises to 'condition and smooth very dry lips' for £5. Now, to me £5 is pretty pricey especially for just 15ml worth of product but since I'm rarely let down with the body shop I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The packaging is very basic and classic of the body shop, the tube is sleek with a nice pale green colour that indicates the soothing aspect of aloe Vera and definitely draws your attention to the product. The packaging is also easy to slip into your pocket or into a little zipped pocket of your handbag, and would also fit nicely in the smallest of clutch bags (a life saver on those festive nights out!)

The product itself can be easily squeezed out and has the consistency of a gel like substance. There is little smell or taste to the product which I find very good as I've had lip treatments before that have been effective but I've been put off by the scent or taste. A little goes a long way and a small blob can cover my lips quite easily. One difficulty with the product that I've found is that the consistency of the product is quite thick so you have to put a bit of work into actually getting it out of the tube in the first place! And as the tube is narrow when you're coming to the end you really need to give it a good d squeeze to get your money's worth.

I've been using the Aloe Lip Care for about 4 weeks now and I've found this product as the most effective lip treatment I've used yet. At work I often apply it on my breaks (around every 4 hours if I'm lucky) which provides me with the conditioning that I need. After 4 weeks of use I still have a good percentage of the tube still to use so I feel that I'm getting my money's worth, although the more I use the harder it is to get out so I think I'll have to use Granny's old trick of snipping the end of the tube and scooping the product out!

I would recommend this product to anyone that either has a great deal of difficulty lip care wise during harsh weathers or if someone is sensitive to harsh chemicals used in other lip care products. As I stated £5 is pretty pricey for such a small tube but in this instance I feel that it's worth it. I bought this product as part of the body shop online's 'buy 2 get 2 free' deal and I would recommend any The Body Shop fans to keep a look out for any great deals which seem to be pretty regular! I feel that this is a great, effective product that stuck to its promise. I'll definitely be buying again!

28.10.2013 21:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

a good deal from ASDA and a good product!

I felt a cold coming on, and it was that nasty bunged up feeling that's accompanied with aching limbs, heavy head and blocked nose! Armed with orange juice, vitamins and tea along with the most effective decongestant in the chemist I tried to ride the cold out but my nose started dripping like a tap despite being so blocked! With a serious lack of tissues in my household and using toilet roll to blow my nose was leaving me with chapped, sore skin I made a trip to ASDA in search for a soft tissue.

I came across Kleenex Balsam handy pack of 6 for £1 which I thought was very reasonable, considering their own brand tissues were the same price! I tend to suffer quite badly with congestion so I thought balsam would be the right choice! The ingredients are Paraffinum Liquidum, Ceresin, Stearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Calendula, Officinalis, Tocopherol, a bit of a mouthful I know! All of these ingredients together make a nice vick smelling menthol that's not too overpowering but just enough to stimulate the senses.

I like Kleenex tissues because even the packaging is sturdy, and I can throw a pack in my bag without the packaging becoming distorted and the tissues losing their oomph. On a daily basis I rummage through my bag about a million times trying to find this and that, and I was impressed that these tissues stayed intact and they were still usable even after all the trauma of being in my bag!

The tissues are very soft and comforting, definitely a welcome softness to my chapped and sore nose. They're sturdy and can handle the coldest of colds, and what I like about these tissues is that I can use them once and put them in my pocket for later use, rather than my fingers going straight through them mid-noseblow (which has happened to me before with cheaper brands!) The balsam scent is lovely, the menthol scent isn't overwhelming. I found that I got the right enough of menthol to make my sinuses feel a bit better and after using the tissues over a day or two I could breathe a little better and my chapped skin started to clear up and wasn't as sore.

One thing about these tissues is that they can be expensive depending on where you're buying them from compared to other brands. I bought these because they were on special but I have seen them being sold in hospital shops for £3+! For me they are definitely a winter essential and I would recommend using these tissues if you're feeling under the weather or just to give yourself a comforting menthol boost.

18.10.2013 19:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

Brilliant product!

When it comes to skin care, as a customer you're always directed towards the more expensive products as you're made to think that you're buying the best quality. I always used to buy Johnson's or Garnier face wipes to remove my make up at night, and when I started university and started paying digs I couldn't afford to splash out on those kind of brands anymore. I was in Asda one day pining over the big brands and came across asda's own brand 'skin system' face wipes.

For £1 you get 25 wipes and often there are promotions on in Asda so that you can get 5 for £3. The packaging is very basic although doesn't look cheap or nasty, which is what directed me to the product in the first place (I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to products) it's got a 'sciencey' look about it which suggests to the customer that thought has gone in to designing and manufacturing the product (or am I looking into things too much?)

Now, the wipes themselves feel like they're very good quality and would definitely like Garnier a run for their money. They feel soft and gentle yet sturdy enough to get off waterproof mascara, and I was impressed that even after a good night out I was able to get a full face of make up off with just one wipe without the cloth distorting or my fingers poking through the material. Due to the quality of the packaging the wipes don't dry out either which is a plus, I had a pack in my bag for weeks and I was pleasantly surprised that they were still useable!

As far as I'm aware, you can buy different wipes for different skin types and I'm particularly drawn to the wipes for dry skin and wipes for sensitive skin. You can choose whether they're scented or not, but I've found that the wipes that I've tried smell really nice and don't smell cheap at all, in fact quite the opposite. They smell quite expensive! They're incredibly quick and easy to use and I've used them every night as part of my facial routine and found that they fit in quite nicely.

I would definitely recommend these wipes as they're affordable and incredibly good quality. I feel that they definitely rival the wipes of top scale marketers and I'll definitely be trying out more from the skinsystem range so look out for the reviews!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7