cyberem78

• Comments

Member since: 15.09.2008

• Forget Me Not / Plant / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      03.09.2015 10:00

Advantages

• Pretty

Disadvantages

• "Can be difficult to grow"

A Beautiful and Delicate Little Flower!

Forget Me Not is one of my favourite flowers as it's so delicate and tiny and it has the most vibrant clear blue or tinged with pure pink flowers one can imagine. Their bright yellow centres contrast against the azure colour so well too. I used to love finding this flower in the wild when I was a child but until a few years ago I was not aware you could purchase seeds to cultivate the plant for yourself.

My last purchase of some of these seeds was actually from Aldi although you can buy the seeds from many different retailers such as Wilkinsons and garden centres. I have never seen a full grown plant of this for sale though.

The seeds I bought were 'Spring Symphony Blue' Forget Me Not seeds which produce springtime flowering. They should be sown in May-September straight into the area of the garden where you'd like them to grow. They should then flower the following year from April to June. The flowers like a sunny but partially shaded area of the garden. You should give individual plants a spacing of six inches between them. I have found these quite difficult to grow in all honesty. I'm not sure why this is but very few plants actually make it from my packets of seeds.

These flowers will grow up to 15cm or 6 inches high. They tend to have a slightly sprawling look about them so wherever you plant them be aware that they may take up a bit of surface area. I think they look great in borders to cover up any spaces and to edge lawns. They are certainly a very pretty, feminine looking and colourful flower although they have a shy appearance too. They are a lovely addition to any garden.

• meandem.com / Online Shop / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      02.09.2015 12:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great Clothes For Power Dressing!

MeandEm.com is an online shop selling a unique collection of women's clothing. They specifically focus on providing pieces that are designed with strong lines or cuts with high quality and durable fabrics. They describe their collection as providing "everyday power dressing". I bought a pair of chinos from here after desperately trying to find a high quality pair to go with some expensive shoes.

The site is quite well designed with a main menu at the top of the page. It is easy to find the categories of clothing. These include dresses, tops, knitwear, jeans, shirts, jackets, essentials and accessories. The website also has sale and outlet categories where the prices are reduced by mega amounts! You can find articles that have literally had hundreds of pounds wiped from the price. There are some real bargains to be had.

The prices on the site vary enormously but you can expect to pay a larger sum for the non sale items. Some of the items on the site are hundreds of pounds but the cheapest items are only around £20 so there is something for all budgets.

One thing I dislike about the firm is that the models they use to show their range are like really skinny catwalk models and I don't think this is truly representative of the general customer. It can make it hard to imagine what the clothes might look like on you.

I bought a pair of chinos which were reduced by a fair amount. I think they were supposed to be £98 but were actually £20. The trouser sizing is done by inside leg measurement and a size chart for measurements of the garments is provided. Top sizes are provided on a scale of S, M, L etc with their largest size being a size 16-18.

Delivery is a bit expensive with this company. They charge £4.95 standard and up to £9.95 for next day delivery. It knocks up the cost considerably. However, my trousers were dispatched quickly and parceled up very well.

I would definitely consider shopping with Me and Em again as I think they provide a selection of clothes that you can't find anywhere else. I would recommend the site to professional women looking for unique work outfits and to women in general who enjoy clothes that give you a sense of power and enjoyment.

01.09.2015 09:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Delicious Chocolate Collection!

I recently bought a box of these special Lily O Brien's chocolates which are designed to mimic some of the most well known puddings in the world. The box contains 18 chocolates with six different varieties.

The dessert chocolates are: Hazelnut Torte, Raspberry Infusion, Banoffee Pie, Key Limey Pie, Creme Brulee, and Passion Fruit Posset.

There are two dark chocolate varieties in the Key Limey Pie and the Raspberry Infusion whilst the Hazelnut Torte has a white chocolate cup. The other chocolates have milk chocolate cups. My favourites in the collection are the Banoffee Pie. This is a milk chocolate cup with a white chocolate top. The top is decorated with milk chocolate covered crispy caramel chunks. These are a little chewy though. The inside has a rich, banana flavoured caramel cream and a very thick and chocolatey truffle.

I also love the Passion Fruit Posset which is a milk chocolate base and top, decorated with a sprinkling of juicy passion fruit pieces. Inside the chocolate is a rich white chocolate truffle which is dashed with pieces of passion fruit.

The brand's Key Limey Pie is an award winning sweet (Great Taste Awards) and is very different and unusual. The blend of bitter sweet dark chocolate and the kick of the lemony-lime truffle inside is a pleasant awakening of the senses.

The weakest sweets in the collection are possibly the Creme Brulee which is just a little bit bland with it's vanilla flavoured custard truffle and it's crunchy, sugary top. The Hazelnut Torte has a nice flavour but the texture of the dried nuts is not so nice.

However, overall this collection is very impressive. They have certainly proved popular in my house and I would not hesitate to purchase these as a gift for a loved one in the future now that I know how interesting, tasty and well designed these are.

The box cost me £6 and these sweets can be found at major supermarkets in the UK.

• Pretty Polly Knickers / Clothing / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.08.2015 10:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great Quality Underwear!

I recently purchased a pack of three Pretty Polly knickers from TK Maxx. I didn't actually pay much attention to the brand and made my purchase based on the quality of the design but after I purchased the underwear I realised they featured the Pretty Polly brand logo.

The knickers I have were branded as size 'small'. On the label inside the knickers you can see that they have a size equivalent in brackets after the S for small mark. Small equates to a sie 10-12. I would agree with this measurement as I tend to take either a size 10 or a 12 and these knickers fit me perfectly.

The knickers I have are three different colours: a pale pink, a dark purple and a lilac which are very feminine shades. They are made from 92% polymide and 8% elastine. This gives them a silky feel which is very nice. They feel ultra comfortable to wear and also quite slinky and sexy. The knickers have very strong reinforced stitching around the edges of the garment. They are elasticated both around the waist and at the leg holes. The knickers have a cute little ribbon on the front and near this is a little tag with a double P logo on it, which is the Pretty Polly logo.

The knickers fit me so well and seem to silhouette my body like a second skin. They don't ride up or dig in anywhere. The knickers are machine washable but shouldn't be ironed or tumble dried.

My knickers are very good quality and comfortable to wear. They are clearly designed to be lasting and to be of optimum comfort for the wearer. They are also stylish and suitable for wearing whenever you want and with anything you like.

My three pair of knickers were £6.99 at TK Maxx and this was supposed to be a reduced price. I am thrilled to have got these lovely knickers at such a price as they are clearly worth this and more. I would definitely buy Pretty Polly goods in the future, based on this purchase.

29.08.2015 09:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Comfy and Cheap Knickers!

I recently wanted to shop for some new lingerie and decided I just wanted something basic and comfortable. Although I usually get the majority of my underwear from M&S I had a voucher for Asda's George online and wanted to spend it. I have shopped at Asda in the past for underwear and had different experiences. I tend to find their sizes are not consistent and I normally take a size up in their knickers to what I do in every other store. After looking through the Asda knicker collection on their website I found this four pack of white brief shorts. They were only £4 for the pack which I thought was a great price so I purchased them.

As mentioned I have found that when I buy underwear from Asda I always have to get a size larger than my actual size. This was the case with these briefs. They have the standard sizing chart such as 10, 12, 14 etc. I bought a size up (a 12 instead of a 10) and they fit me perfectly. I'd advise others to be aware that the standard sizing might be different from other underwear suppliers.

These knickers are designed to sit quite low on the hips and to cover a lot of skin on the side of your hips. They sit on the top of your thigh and don't have any cutting curves but seem to sit on the shape of your body. They have a sooth elasticated top and strong stitching around the hem and gusset. They feel comfortable and breathable. They are a pack of pure white cotton knickers. You can actually buy packs of the same shape knickers in both black/white mix and a colour mix.

These are machine washable and seem to be holding up well to wear and washing. In the past I've had George underwear that hasn't lasted long and which has started to come apart very quickly. However, I think the quality of these knickers is quite good and I expect them to last for a while! I would definitely consider purchasing from Asda again following this purchase.

• Reebok Princess Trainers / Shoes / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      28.08.2015 16:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Classic Trainer

I bought these Reebok Princess trainers because I wanted a simple pair of pure white trainers. I respect the brand and have owned footwear from them in the past so I was confident about my purchase.

These trainers have a classic, timeless design. I bought these trainers for using as a casual shoe and not as a shoe for exercise. I'm not certain these are actually built for exercise and I certainly wouldn't choose to wear these for any outdoor running or aerobic activity. I wear mine for short walks, for going shopping, in the house etc.

The trainers are a bright white with sturdy stitching around the edges and heel. They have the logo displayed prominently near the tongue of the shoe as well as on the back of the heel. On the side of the shoe there is a section where the material has small holes to allow for a more breathable wear.

The trainer has a padded, comfortable inside and a foam style cushioning below the foot for extra comfort and bounce. The style is basically unchanged since the 1980's and looks very stylish and understated.

The one thing I'd say about these shoes is that I have found my pair to be slightly on the large side. By fastening them up more tightly this stops them from feeling floppy but they are definitely a little bigger for me than my average size 6.

These trainers are available to buy online from the Reebok site for £40 which I feel is a little too expensive. I managed to get mine cheaper though and would recommend looking around for a deal. These trainers will suit all ages.

• Hi-Tec Ottawa / Shoes / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.08.2015 16:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Comfortable and Waterproof Walking Boot

I get through a lot of walking boots as I enjoy walking my dogs and hiking on my own every day. I do no more than 10-12 miles a day in rough woodland, over farmland and through an urban landscape but that means any boots I've owned tend to wear down or come apart pretty quickly. I've tried being an expensive pair once and because they lasted as long as cheaper pairs I decided I would never pay a huge amount of money again. My last pair of boots were made by Karrimor and they were so comfortable I thought I would stay with the brand forever. However, I was swayed to purchase these Hi Tec Ottawa boots after seeing them discussed by some footwear experts in an online video. They are apparently a very popular purchase.

The boots aren't very feminine looking but they do look like classic hiking boots. They are a dark brown leather. The front of the boot has stitching around the contour of the toe which means that they are less likely to split in the section where your toes bend. The boots have sturdy metal rings up the front and two hooks at the top to fasten. They have a capped heel and black foam cushioning around the back of the heel and top of the boot. The tongue of the boot is attached at either side of the boot opening for waterproof effectiveness. It's also padded well for comfort.

The boots are quite sturdy at first and provide a lot of ankle support. They were comfortable for me immediately without needing to 'break them in'. The sole of the boot has deep ridges which make it a great boot for hiking on uneven, wet and muddy surfaces and up and down hills. I haven't slipped in these boots yet! They are also well waterproofed and don't let wet grass, puddles or river edges soak your feet.

I am a size 6 and I was slightly concerned when I first got these that they seemed quite a small fitting. They are definitely made on the smaller side and because I wear normal socks with these it isn't a problem. For those who wear thick walking socks I'd recommend trying these boots on before purchasing.

I'm happy with my purchase. I got mine from Amazon.co.uk and they were £34.99 which I felt was a reasonable price. I would recommend to anyone who does a moderate amount of walking or hiking activities. The video I watched regarding these boots also said they were popular with kids and teens doing boot-camp style activities.

• April Fools Day [1986] (DVD) / DVD / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.08.2015 16:03

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Unique 1980's Horror Movie

Film Only Review:

This is a 1980's film that my elder sister and I used to rent from my local video shop when I was just a kid. I had a real fondness for horror flicks and she would indulge me. This was one of my favourite films when I was about 10. It's a horror film that is a little bit different and unique to others of the same genre and it has somewhat of a cult following now. You can now get this movie on Region 2 DVD in the UK. It has been graded as a certificate 15.

The story of the film sees a group of university students invited to stay with a mutual friend. The friend is called Muffy and she's a rich drama student who is about to inherit a house on a remote off-shore island. She invites a large group of friends to the house to celebrate April Fool's Day and to party.

The friends meet on the ferry over to the island and become acquainted with one another. Many of them are meeting for the first time and it seems strange to them that there are so many different personality types gathered there. As they get to know each other they start to begin romances and to get into the party mood by carrying out jokes and pranks. One of the actors who is prevalent at this stage of the movie is Thomas F. Wilson who played Biff in the classic film trilogy 'Back To The Future'.

As the boat arrives at the island the group have an accident following a prank and when attempting to dock the boat and one of the gang is taken away to hospital, badly injured. The rest of the party go on to meet Muffy but when they arrive at the house strange things start to happen. Muffy has set up the house with comedy booby traps but when people start to get really hurt they wonder if their injured pal has escaped from the hospital and is trying to get his revenge. Is it him? Why is Muffy acting strangely all of a sudden?

An unknown killer targets each of the group until the end of the movie when there is a shocking and slightly surreal twist, followed by another one! I personally love the ending but some people have said it undermines the rest of the movie. I think it's unique and an interesting change, breaking away from the cliched ending of many 1980's gory movies.

This is a decent watch if you love 1980's horror.

27.08.2015 14:24

Advantages

Disadvantages

Refreshing and Soothing Moisturising Lotion In A Spray Can!

I bought this because I like to try new beauty products and I thought this sounded like an interesting concept. It's basically body moisturiser in a spray can! There are a few varieties of this and I have the 'Cocoa Radiant' version.

The product comes as a large 190ml sized can. It's a heavy metal cannister so not perfect for travelling but it's fine for keeping at home. It is fitted with a large press down button on the top of the can and this dispenses a spray jet of lotion onto your skin. It is advised that you hold the can four inches away and then spray but however you use this you still have to rub in the moisturiser, although the thin consistency of the lotion means it's more quickly absorbed than other moisturising creams. I do find the jet spray a little too direct and it sprays the cream into a line rather than dispersing it as a mist.

The brand say this cream "leaves skin soft" and claim that it has a "non sticky or greasy" formula. I'd agree with all of these claims. The moisturiser is definitely a lighter lotion and probably best used in the summer but it's still softening and it also feels cooling, refreshing and soothing. It's non sticky or clammy and it absorbs well into the skin without leaving an oily layer on the surface.

The 'cocoa vibrant' version of this product has a really deliciously sweet fragrance that is just like chocolate. It's a feminine scent so this is probably a product best suited to ladies. The fragrance is lasting on the skin which is lovely.

I really like this Spray and Go moisturiser although I do think it could be a tad more nourishing and richer in texture. However, it is a pleasant experience to use and it allows you to cover your body with lotion quickly and effortlessly. I would buy this product again. It's available at stores such as Boots and Superdrug and costs around £2.49 per can.

• HP 2009v / LCD Monitor / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      26.08.2015 17:18

Advantages

Disadvantages

Crystal Clear Display!

When I purchased an HP desktop computer I received one of these HP 2009v monitors as part of the deal. My monitor worked fine for almost a year and then suddenly went dead. Since I was within the guarantee period I was able to get a replacement of the same model. I can only assume that I got a faulty monitor since the one I've had since has worked perfectly!

This is a 20 inch wide computer screen monitor. It looks incredibly big and is perfect for things like watching TV/movies or for gaming. It's size is also really useful if you need to see the display in large because of bad eyesight. I'm more than happy with the size of the screen.

The monitor is LCD or liquid crystal display and has a "thin film transistor". The quality of the display is excellent. The brightness/contrast of the display is adjustable via several dials which are located at the bottom right of the model, close to the on/off button. The adjustments are easy to undertake. Colours are always bold and bright and text is crystal clear. I am particularly impressed by visual media on this monitor. I use my desktop computer to stream television and films all the time rather than my laptops as the monitor display is much better than my laptops.

The monitor comes boxed with a heavy L-shaped stand which you must attach to the monitor yourself. This is a fairly simple construction. The monitor has a VGA connector and a power cord connector as well as a port for connecting speakers. It's a reasonably slimline model and doesn't take up much space on the top of my desk.

This model was released in 2009 so is unlikely to be widely available but I would jump at the chance of purchasing this if it was available as a second hand model because the quality is incredibly good. I have had to deduct a star from the overall rating though because of the failure of my first 2009v monitor.

26.08.2015 16:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Lovely Flowering Plant For Pots Or Borders...

I purchased one of these Impatiens a few days ago as I wanted a few colourful flowering plants to fill in some spots in my garden where other flowers have died off. I ended up planting this in a decorative wheelbarrow shaped planter and it looks very pretty. They are an ideal plant to put in pots on your patio or straight into your border.

The plant has stunning dark and glossy leaves which have a stark and pointed shape. The leaves have red spines and red undersides as well as having unusual spikes along the edges of the leaves. Despite the leaves looking like shark's teeth the spikes aren't at all troublesome and do not prick you during the planting stage or if you brush up against the leaves. The leaves are rather abundant on the plant, being as much a feature of it's beauty as the flowers.

The flowers on my Impatiens are a delicate pink/white shade. I believe you can get different colours of this plant. My flowers aren't a uniform colour but look rather like they have been painted by a watercolour artist. They are extremely pretty and sweet. They have slender red veined stems and they tend to poke up through the thick leaves. The petals on the flowers look quite flimsy, almost like a floppy hat. They are an interesting and beautiful feature of any garden.

I haven't noticed these being particularly attractive to pollinating insects but they do look very striking and colourful as well as creating a lovely shape. As mentioned, these look lovely enough to be able to be featured on their own in a patio pot but look just as lovely nestled with other plants in a border.

I have mine planted in full sun which it is seeming to cope well with with regular watering. I would recommend this to any gardener who likes pretty flowering plants.

• allsaints.co.uk / Online Shop / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      24.08.2015 14:52

Advantages

• "Wide collection"
      • "Great quality clothing"

Disadvantages

• "Smaller size range (up to a 14)"

Trendy, Unique Clothing...

I' never actually heard of this brand until recently when I was reading a women's fashion magazine and saw an article where a top from the brand's collection was being modelled. I liked the top and found the brand's online store at allsaints.co.uk. I'm really glad to have discovered this shop as the women's collection is really trendy, unique and very high quality in terms of design as well as how they are manufactured. The brand have also given me some good service and delivered my orders exceptionally quickly and with lots of communication along the way, making me feel like a valued customer.

The brand actually sell a huge range of items for both women and men and they have a specialist leather jacket section too. In the ladies collection they also sell tops, dresses, denim, sweatshirts, vests, handbags and other accessories, boots and shoes, trousers, leggings, gift items, shorts, knitwear and more. In each category there is a large selection of items so you have plenty of choice.

The prices of clothing at Allsaints is perhaps a little more expensive than high street brands and is more in line with designer brands. The most expensive items tend to be around £400 but there are also a lot of more affordable items too. I'm well prepared to pay a bit extra for good quality and an individual design so have purchased a few tops from the site.

I find the clothing at Allsaints to be standard sizing and in fact I really like the way their items fit me. I'm slightly top heavy but the tops fit me really well. The sizing is actually arranged in S, M, L categories rather than have the actual sizing. The large is equivalent to a size 14 which is a standard, not a small size, 14.

As mentioned the brand have treated me well as a customer, sending out my orders quickly and efficiently with no problems ensuing. I'm definitely likely to shop here again and would recommend to women of all ages. I think there are many pieces which would suit fashionable older ladies as well as pieces that are more suitable for the younger generation.

22.08.2015 09:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Thick, High Quality Printer Paper

I did not personally buy this but it was given to me by someone conducting an office clearance and who had no use for the printer paper anymore. This is a Wh Smith own branded paper and it's of premium quality. It's intended for use for those more important documents, letters, invitations, reports etc.

The paper is A4 sized and comes in a 50 sheet pack and the sheets can be used in both inkjet and laser printers. This paper is slightly thicker than your average printer paper. An average thickness of printer paper is about 80gsm and this is 120gsm. It means this paper feels heavier and is bulkier. I would suggest if you have a multi page report or document that you consider the weight and thickness of all the sheets put together before using this paper as it can end up being quite bulky even with just a few sheets. The paper is plain white - bright and clean looking. It has a matt finish so it's not shiny but it still looks as though it has a 'finished' surface. When you look through this paper it's difficult to see through to the other side or to any pages underneath as you can do with thinner sheets.

This paper absorbs both black and colour inks well and dries very quickly after being processed through the printer. I very rarely experience any issues with the paper smudging or getting jammed. It seems to actually work through the printer more easily and more smoothly than thinner sheets.

This paper is high quality, there is no doubt, and it's definitely a good paper to have on hand for those documents which you feel you need a better quality paper. I've seen this online priced at £5.99 which is a very high price for printer paper so I'd recommend buying this only if you definitely know that you need a high quality printer paper.

21.08.2015 16:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good Quality CD-RW

I bought a pack of these Verbatim CD-RW from my local computer store after some advice about which disks to use for storing my data etc. I basically wanted a disk that I could use more than once and on which I could store a variety of files. It was also necessary to be able to write to the disk from my computer. If you are in any doubt about which disks your computer can write data to I advise getting expert help before purchasing.

I bought these in a pack of five and they actually all come in their own case which I find very useful. Each case has it's own label which can be turned inside out and notes written on to identify what's on the disk. The section has space for a disk title as well as a date.

The packaging and each CD is marked with the essential information about this product. This includes how much data can be recorded which is 700mb, the rewriting speed which is maximum 4x and how many minutes of recording data this holds, which is 80 minutes. Each disk also has a space on the front where you can write what's on the disk in permanent marker pen, if you desire. The notes on the CD say that these disks have an "extra protection durability layer" and that they are fully compatible with the latest computer drives. A CD-RW like this can be re-written up to around 1000 times.

I've used my disks for multiple things. I have many music files stored on them, I also have video files and data files. I have also used the files for general backing up and photograph storing. I've never had any issues with any of the disks being faulty or anything. I've never had a problem re-writing the disks either.

I'm happy with my purchase and would consider Verbatim again in the future now that I'm familiar with their good quality products. I would recommend to anyone looking for storage solutions in computing.

• Tesco Value A4 White Paper / Homeware / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      21.08.2015 15:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good Quality Shop's Own Printer Paper...

I bought this for my printer when my local Tesco was closing down and they were selling everything off slightly cheaper than normal price. This was a bargain to begin with only £2.50 but I think I paid 25% less. In any case, I got a good bargain.

This paper is described as "copier paper" but I use it in my HP printer as well as for non computing. I often use the paper to write notes or letters, for instance. You get 500 sheets in a pack. These are A4 sized. The brand say the paper is ideal for "any low cost, high volume printing and copying". The paper is packaged in a rather bland wrapper featuring the basic design and logo of the Tesco Everyday Value brand.

The paper is of a reasonable quality. It's quite bright but not as much as some other brands I have. I also have a few other printer papers at home at the moment and whilst this is not a dull paper it is not the brightest either. It's also not quite as absorbent as I would like. The paper seems to have a tough shiny sheen over the surface. It's a tough paper that folds well.

I use this with my deskjet printer and it is processed well by the machine. It takes ink quite well but I'm hesitant to touch the ink immediately after printing as I do think the paper isn't quite as absorbent as other papers. The paper feels quite thick but it's not too thick that it makes multi-page documents a chore to put together. Nor is it so thick that you can't see ink printed on both sides. If you put two sheets together, printed on one side only you can't see through the paper to the next sheet.

I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend this as a printer or photocopier paper to anyone who uses a lot of paper and who isn't too fussy about the paper quality. It's also really handy to have around if you use paper for other things like hand written letters. I don't feel worried about using a sheet of this paper for scribbling on either since a pack is so cheap.

This is available in larger Tesco stores or online.