cyberem78

• Comments

Member since: 15.09.2008

• canterbury.com / Online Shop / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      25.05.2015 10:13

Advantages

• "High quality items"

Disadvantages

Rugby and Sports Clothing Website...

Canterbury.com is an online shop selling clothes for men, women and children. They specialise in rugby clothing, strips, sporting outfits and they also sell training equipment such as balls. They offer strips and associated clothing for a number of clubs including the Cardiff Blues, Leicester Tigers, New Zealand Warriors and more.

The site is set out very well and all items can be viewed in photos with full product information available. It's very easy to narrow down your search to clothing for men, women or kids and then narrow these categories down to type of item such as T-shirts, hoodies or pants. You can also just generally browse through the England and Irish rugby strip collections.

I actually discovered this brand because a family member shops at our local stockist, which is an outlet inside a independent department store. The brand is deemed as being very exclusive and is clearly of a very high quality. So far all of the goods we've purchased have been well made and made to last with the material and stitching being impressive as well as the feel and fit of the items. I decided to use the website only because the selection of items at our local stockist was limited. My experience of the website has been great. The order process is very simple. Perhaps the only thing that takes time is figuring out the sizes since they are often provided in terms such as 3XL although some of the ladies items are given in standard sizing. It's also not easy to navigate back to the main page when you go to an item page as the page is isolated without many links back to where you had been shopping.

However, in general, the site is fairly easy to use and provides a wide range of items for rugby fans, for sporting fans and those who simply enjoy wearing casual sports clothing. The prices are average and what you'd expect to pay for strips like this. The site also has a sale section which may be worth looking at if you visit.

The site offers a variety of payment options including being able to pay through your Amazon account, which is very interesting and attractive. You can also use your paypal account or just a standard credit or debit card. Delivery rates will vary depending on your location although they do offer a free returns service.

I would definitely use the webpage again as it's a great way to acquire items from this brand without having to visit the high street and find a stockist selling exactly what I want. It's simply more convenient. I would recommend to all shoppers who enjoy rugby although I would say the site is primarily of interest to men.

• notonthehighstreet.com / Online Shop / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      23.05.2015 16:35

Advantages

• "Vast collection of items."

Disadvantages

• "Each seller's dispatch time varies."

Great Site To Find Unusual Gifts!

This is a site I discovered quite recently. It's a unique online shopping space selling items by individual sellers and stores. It is a site best used for gift purchases since it has an extensive gift and novelty range. It also has excellent facilities for allowing you to best choose items that will suit the person to whom you wish to give the gift. For instance, you can search the site for gifts by narrowing the items down to those suited to particular personality types such as "art lover" or "pet lover".

The site requires registration prior to being able to make a purchase. However, the selling process is very simple. Items on the site are sold by different sellers so if you choose more than one item you will be charged per item for delivery and rates may vary according to each seller. The process is rather similar to Amazon MarketPlace or Ebay although I do feel as though this site is particularly well designed and very safe. The website individually approve all sellers before allowing them to have a selling account - this includes having the seller show their goods and providing any other information about their other professional standing.

Having ordered a few times from the site now I am happy to say I'm pleased with the service I received from all of the sellers I used. The items all arrived within a week of the order being placed and the items were packaged to a very high standard in order to adequately protect the items during transit.

I would say that in general the items on the site are perhaps more expensive than you might expect to pay for the same or similar items if you found them on the high street. However, most of the items on the site are quite unique and different and you'd be hard pressed to find them elsewhere. It has a boutique feel to a lot of the items. There is also a high degree of 'artsy' type products and hand produced items similar to what you'd find on sites like Etsy.

I would definitely recommend this site to anyone who is looking for interesting, quirky, one of a kind gifts or products for themselves. This is a really lovely website to use for shopping as it's well designed with lots of photos and product information. It's also exceptionally simple to search through categories. It's enjoyable to see all of the different items available for men, women, kids and more and they have categories including fashion, art, garden, home, jewellery and weddings.

• Native Cowslip 1 / Plant / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      22.05.2015 14:08

Advantages

• "Nice fragrance"
      • "Beautiful colour and shape"

Disadvantages

• "Quite delicate"

A Beautiful Golden Glow For Your Garden!

I have a medium sized garden with many features including borders, a patio area and a dedicated wildlife section. I enjoy growing flowers across my garden but in particular in my borders and in pots. Many of the flowers in my garden, such as red campion and foxgloves, are native to the UK as I like to create a natural environment that will benefit insects. One flower I purchased last year was one of these Native Cowslips. They are one of my favourite wildflowers in the UK and I enjoy spotting them growing by roadsides and in meadows in the springtime.

Cowslips are very unique and attractive flowers. They have erect thick stems on which a cluster of drooping yellow heads appear. Their colour is a translucent yellow which really stands out. However, the small and dainty flower heads, delicate petals and cascading shape makes the plant look almost shy! The flowers have a beautiful and distinctive scent which carries in the air around them. To me they evoke memories and ideas of the British countryside.

Although I have only one of these growing at the moment I think they look best in a cluster. If you've ever spotted a patch growing wild then you'll understand why. In groups they radiate this brilliant iridescent yellow and their various heights make them interesting to watch when they wave in the wind.

A plant will reach around 25 centimetres tall. Their width or spread varies but mine takes up about 20 centimetres. The stems don't always remain straight up either - they can lean to the side. What I've learnt about these flowers is that they are best planted in a space where they can be the star and not be clustered with other flowers. They really need to be displayed towards the front of a border and look best with other native flowers such as bluebells or red campion.

My cowslip died off in the autumn last year and re-emerged in the spring this year looking very healthy and bringing colour and charm to my garden display. I would advise if you have pets to keep them away from the flowers as they are quite delicate to being stood on or bashed around. However, I would definitely recommend these to any UK gardener as I think they are one of the most beautiful things you can plant in your garden.

You can buy a native cowslip at your local garden centre or try Gardeningdirect.co.uk. Be prepared to pay around £5-10 depending on the retailer.

22.05.2015 10:21

Advantages

• Fun
      • Moisturising
      • "Fragrance is lovely"

Disadvantages

Exciting Bath Time Treat!

I was recently given this bath treat as a gift. Although I am a regular customer at Lush I had never used this product before. This is described as a 'Bath Bomb' by the brand and it is designed to be added to warm water to create a pleasant bath time experience.

This is a rather large ball of compressed powder which has been infused with certain oils and colours. The ball is very heavy and looks like it would be too much to have in just one bath. I do tend to try and save half of my bath bombs for second baths but this one is designed to be used all in one go. I recommend getting into the bath while the bomb is still activating as it's more of a thrill!

To use you just throw into your warm bath or into running warm water. The bomb immediately begins to crackle and melt away, errupting into a foam of greasy yellow bubbles. I was a little confused at first as I could hear some very loud exploding noises and I actually thought for a moment that my bath tub was breaking! However, the bath bomb actually contains popping candy. If you have a good look at the melting edge of the bomb you can see white chunks. These detach, float around you and explode in the water which is a very strange sensation. Eventually the outer layer of yellow melts away and exposes a blue inner core. This then melts and transforms the water into a Shrek green shade. At the very end of the bomb the blue powder splits open and a very amusing message on a paper slip falls out. It says "BANG!" in massive cartoon letters!

The bomb is infused with ylang ylang oil, petitgrain oil and cinnamon leaf oil to cleanse and fragrance. The scent is feminine, refreshing, uplifting and remains on your skin. The oils are also significantly moisturising and softening for skin and I can see and feel a big difference after use.

Ultimately I think this Bath Bomb product is a lot of fun to use and it also smells wonderful and cares for my skin too. It's possibly the most exciting product I've ever used from Lush because of the unexpectedness of the popping candy, the mood boosting colours, the beautiful floral and zesty fragrance and the silly message hidden inside the bomb. I would therefore recommend this to anyone who likes shopping at Lush. I would also suggest this makes an excellent gift. It is available in store and online and is priced at £3.35.

• Spider Plant / Plant / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      21.05.2015 10:28

Advantages

• "Easy to care for"
      • "Very attractive"

A Visually Striking House Plant

Spider Plants are commonly grown as house plants in the UK. They are very popular due to the fact they have an unusual shape and are relatively easy to care for. The plants can help brighten up a room, create a visual centre-piece or create a fresh and healthy atmosphere in all areas of the home. I personally have one of these in my bedroom. I enjoy having plants in as many rooms of the home as I can as I love to feel I've brought a touch of the outdoors inside! They can definitely help bring serenity to any space.

The Spider Plant is very attractive with long thin leaves which have a variegated effect on them. The leaves appear to be slightly striped with a yellowish-white shade. The effect is striking. The shape of the plant is also unusual as it has the effect of almost looking like a spouting fountain. The leaves burst upwards from a central section and then cascade downwards.Plants can look very full and thick if cared for well.

I find these plants to be very easy to maintain and they are also quite hardy. I've had my plant for years now and it's still extremely healthy and happy. My room is the warmest spot in the house though so this may be a reason why mine is doing so well. I've had to re-pot my plant a couple of times when it wasn't doing as well as it should be. The plant may start to look unhealthy if it is root-bound which can happen with large or older plants. Scaling back the roots or getting a larger pot is necessary in these cases. I've also had an infestation of pests for which the whole plant needed to be washed in insecticidal treatment and re-potted. Over watering may also cause the plant to look unhealthy and wilted. I have found that the plant doesn't mind the consistency of the compost I use and I currently have a rather sandy compost in the pot which it's responding too very well.

When the plant is mature it attempts to reproduce by growing these thicker, coarser stems at the end of which a mini spider plantlet, or spider plant baby, is produced. It is possible to then propagate the plant since the baby plant will develop full roots from the initial nodules you see on the vine when planted and watered.

I personally love Spider Plants and think that they bring an amazing vibe to any room.I would recommend them as a houseplant even to those who aren't particularly green fingered as they are quite easy to care for. You'll find these at any garden centre and they are inexpensive to purchase.

20.05.2015 14:24

Advantages

• "Delicate sweet scent"

Disadvantages

• "Not moisturising"

A Treat For Young Ladies!

I recently received this as a gift although I am very familiar with Lush products and am a regular customer at their high street stores. I had never tried this Think Pink Ballistic (now relabeled as a Bath Bomb) before although it is rather reminiscent of the Creamy Candy Bubble Bar which I have used previously.

Lush Ballistics (Bath Bombs) are like fizzy bath salts so they don't create any lasting bubbles of any sort although they can add perfume and nourishing oils to the water. This particular Bomb is quite small in comparison with some of Lush's similar products. It's smaller than a tennis ball and this is reflected in it's price of £2.95.

The product is a mottled pink colour and comprised of a very hard dry powder which has been formed into a heavy globe. In the top of the ball there are several iced flowers in pastel colours. It looks very girly and cute.

To use this you simply drop it into your bathtub into warm water. Since products are quite expensive at Lush I often try to get more than one bath out of products but with this product I would advise using all at once. It's virtually impossible to save any of the ball once it hits water anyway since it fizzes and melts away at an alarmingly fast speed. It gives the impression of a bubbling hot-tub for about 40 seconds and then it's gone. As it melts the water turns a transparent pink colour. The bomb also releases what look like pieces of pink confetti. I could not tell that these were heart shaped pieces of rice paper until after I had finished bathing and they dried on the bottom of the bath-tub! It was quite heartwarming when I saw them there although when in the water they just look like squidgy misshapen debris.

The fragrance of the bomb is like bubblegum and strawberry laces and the bomb is actually infused with a blend of vanilla, neroli, tonka and lavender oil to produce this ultra sweet scent. It's a feminine and youthful fragrance which I like but don't love. It's possibly more suitable for teens and young ladies. The fragrance remains on the skin after bathing.

I did not notice any difference in the condition of my skin after using this although when bathing I did think the water seemed more silky and soft. However, I have used other Bath Bombs from the brand which have made more of an impression on me and whose benefits have been more obvious. I would say that the fragrance made me smile but did not have any lasting effect on boosting my mood or creating a relaxing atmosphere. I would also say that the bomb offered no skin moisturizing qualities although it was mildly refreshing.

I wouldn't purchase this myself although I do think it is a very sweet gift especially for younger women.

20.05.2015 09:46

Advantages

• "Awards shine"

Disadvantages

• "Shouldn't apply near roots."

Lets My Hair Shine!

I have rather dull and dry hair, mainly caused by over processing events such as bleaching and using heat based styling tools. I therefore often purchase hair care products that help to improve the appearance and texture of my hair. I have used several John Frieda Frizz Ease products in the past and thought they were of good quality. The latest product in the range which I bought was this 'Glossing Mist'. The claims on the front of the bottle were too good to ignore. The brand promise this awards "100% shine" and "100% brilliance" and leaves hair with a "high-gloss shine".

The product comes in a miniature sized 75ml plastic bottle which is recyclable after use. The bottle is small and lightweight enough to carry in your handbag for touch-ups on the go if you desire. The bottle is fitted with a pump action type button and this expels a direct mist of liquid at a short distance. I would recommend holding the nozzle just a few inches from where you wish to apply the spray.

A label on the back of the bottle gives some more information about what the product actually does. The brand state the formula of their expert product will "transform frizz into fabulous styles" and say that it "smoothes flyaways". They remark that the formula is "non-greasy" and "ultra light" and say that it can be applied any time.

This should be applied to dry hair only before combing or styling. The liquid is watery when first applied but it actually dries quickly. The first thing I notice when applying is the beautiful fragrance of the product. It's like sparkling apple juice and summer champagne. It's a very nice scent although predominantly feminine.

I often work the liquid through my wavy hair with my fingers and it was doing this that I first noticed that the claim that this formula is "non greasy" isn't entirely true. Whilst it's not excessively oily it does have a slightly slippery feel to it although on drier areas of the hair this oiliness sinks deep into the hair shaft and you no longer detect any greasiness. However, I'd avoid spraying this product near your roots which are naturally oily anyway as it can cause the hair to look heavy and slightly lank. Excessive use of the product nearer the roots can also mean a build-up of oils and will cause you to have to wash your hair more frequently.

The product is very effective at creating a glossy, reflective shine which makes hair look freshly styled, clean and healthy. If you have dry ends, are prone to frizz or you have hair which is more difficult to style then this is a good product for you to use. It's similar to a serum although it doesn't have that gluey texture which serums have that sort of slick your hair down. This product allows more movement in the hair and tames unruly strands allowing for better control.

• The Tribe - Season 3 (DVD) / TV Series / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      19.05.2015 20:36

Advantages

• Dramatic
      • "Visually stunning"
      • "Good storylines"

Disadvantages

• "Some child actors not as good at performing"
      • "Too many characters"

A Wonderful TV Teen Drama

Many fans of this complex and well-scripted teen drama regard the third season as one of the most impressive in it's five year run. The show is a post-apocolyptic drama which sees toughened kids surviving a disease which has wiped out their parents and all other adults. The third season sees the continuation of the story which involves the cult religious group The Chosen and their attempt to convert all of the children in the other gangs in the city.

Some of the prominent story-lines this season include Amber's return. Beth Allen makes a welcome return to the show after her character is presumed dead throughout the second season. Her return also brings new characters into the mix including the enigmatic Pride, a protective and strong eco-warrior who cares a lot for his friends. Other stories which stand out this season is the love triangle between sweet nerdy Jack, Ellie and Luke.

Damon Andrews, as the leader of The Chosen, is scarily good as a villain, despite the fact that he looks slightly too old to have survived the adult killing virus! His domination of the other characters, especially Trudy, is quite disturbing and he gets a lot of the best lines and scenes this season.

One of the downsides of the season is the fact that there are just too many characters to keep up with and also many characters whose story-lines are not as compelling. The long 52 episode season means that any plot is quite drawn out and there are a lot of very young and inexperienced child actors filling the voids between the main action.

The box set DVD is available on Amazon in the UK and contains all 52 episodes along with a photo gallery and a documentary showing the cast on a summer tour. If you enjoy The Tribe there is a lot of material to dig into here and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sci-fi television, cult drama and teen drama.

• Butternut Squash / Plant / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      19.05.2015 13:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

These Need Lots Of Space & Extra Care!

I started to grow my own grub several years ago and one of the first things I tried growing was Butternut Squash. However, after three years of trying to grow these successfully I no longer attempt to grow them. There are a couple of issues with growing these that make my circumstances non compatible. Hopefully, if you are new to growing your own fruit or vegetables then this review can help decide if this is a crop you wish to grow.

Butternut Squashes are large pumpkin-like vegetables that are the perfect Autumn food. As a vegetarian it's one of the foods I often eat as a meat replacement. I was therefore quite excited when starting to grow these.

However, these aren't the easiest things to grow unless you have the correct conditions! To begin with these plants require a lot of space. You can plant them into the ground, of course, but you will need a hole at least the size of a football for each plant. You will also need to space them well apart. Unfortunately I don't have dedicated garden space and usually put all of my plants into pots. Obviously if you need a pot this size for your Butternut Squash plants you have to purchase a very large container which can be expensive and also the compost to go in it which is also a financial aspect.

I also found that these plants seem more sensitive to growing conditions than other vegetables I have grown. They are slower to grow in colder conditions so unless you have a greenhouse or can keep your seedlings indoors then you can end up with plants that either don't produce fruit or the development of the fruit is delayed to a point where you can not harvest it before the plant dies off in the Autumn weather. Unfortunately this is my experience.

Despite tending to the plants I have ended up with just one half grown fruit or plants that produce nothing at all. It's very disappointing, especially when the plant requires so much care - more so, it seems, than other vegetable crops I manage. The plant does require a later sowing in indoor conditions, warm conditions throughout it's life-span, a planting in a sunny spot and frequent watering.

In my opinion these aren't an easy vegetable to grow. I personally would recommend growing something like courgettes (easy to grow and produce plenty of fruits) instead of this if you are an inexperienced grower or don't have the conditions needed to cultivate these. However, if you wish to give it a go then you can purchase seeds from garden centres and other stores in the UK.

• Nettle / Plant / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      18.05.2015 17:08

Advantages

• "Attracts butterflies"

Disadvantages

• "Gives a painful sting!"

Very Beneficial To Certain Butterflies...

Nettles are often regarded as a gardeners worst nightmare due to the fact that they are quite prolific and will grow on any kind of disturbed land. A few years ago I dedicated a section of my garden as a 'wildlife corner' and I leave this area to grow wild. In one area of my wildlife garden a patch of stinging nettles grow. At first I was reluctant to leave them there because they can give you a bit of a fierce sting if you catch their hairy stinging hairs on your skin. However, I was persuaded by wildlife experts that these nettles would be a haven for certain insects.

Although there are several varieties of nettle I can only review the Stinging nettle since that's what I have growing in my garden. These are tall growing plants with soft jagged leaves which are covered in prickly, rigid hairs. The hairs are also on the stem and root. The nettles have long connecting roots which branch off from other plants. They tend to start developing into seedlings quite early in the year. I find it best to manage my patch when the seedlings are tiny and can be hoed more easily. However, I often need to dig down into the earth and sever the spreading roots to keep the patch small.

These nettles will grow quite tall, especially when in a sunny position. I was told it is actually best to grow them in a full sun position if aiming to attract insects. They also become quite large and will overshadow any other plant growing around them.

I've discovered these plants are particularly attractive to Peacock, Comma, Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies all of whom rely on nettles to feed their larvae. My nettles often appear ragged and half eaten since the leaves provide vital food for the caterpillars.

I'm very pleased to attract butterflies into the garden but the drawback of having nettles is the fact that you basically have to avoid the area where they grow since they do give a painful sting if you graze them. They do also require some tending if you don't want them to get out of control. However, for me, being able to provide a beneficial plant for butterflies is worth any effort I have to take to maintain these. I would recommend growing a small patch if you are interested in wildlife gardening. I have also learned that it's easy to grow a few in pots if you wish to keep them under greater control.

18.05.2015 16:18

Advantages

• "Visually Stunning"

Disadvantages

Perfect For Bright & Beautiful Garden Displays

These Busy Lizzie Impatiens 'Strike Orchid' flowers make an excellent border flower but also look wonderful in pots. I personally have these planted in several containers around my patio as well as in a hanging basket display where they produce a pretty, colourful display during their long flowering period.

The flowers on this plant are a bright, striking pink and each large flower head is quite erect and proud with an abundance of silky petals that seem to be overlapping. The leaves of this plant can also be quite stunning with a variegated effect making them stand out from other similar flowering plants. They have a 'full' appearance and by this I mean they seem to burst out of any pots they are planted into. This is why they can look amazing as potted plants since they make any display look healthy and in full bloom.

These are exceptionally simple to maintain although when in pots ensure that they are watered sufficiently or the heads can start to blacken and turn crispy very quickly. They can also be tender in frosty conditions although mine tend to be quite hardy. They also seem to tolerate any kind of compost or soil. I have mine planted in a semi-shaded position as I have learned that they may be intolerant to full sunlight conditions. Mine seem to do quite well in a semi-shaded position where they get the softer sunlight at the end of the day.

I wouldn't say these flowers attract insects such as bees and butterflies on a huge scale. I would say their power lies in their visual appeal. They also look wonderful planted with other flowers in a display. They look very unique alongside other flowers. I have some planted in a hanging basket with a trailing ivy and pansies which looks amazing.

These flower until quite late in the year - to around October - so they provide lasting colour and beauty to the garden for a long period of the year. Mine flower in around May/June time and last as long as they are tended to properly.

I would definitely recommend these to any gardener who is looking for a beautiful display flower. They are available to buy from garden centres in the UK or you can purchase them online at sites such as PlantsPlus.

18.05.2015 15:50

Advantages

• "Nice fragrance"
      • "Softens hair"

Disadvantages

• "Not shiny enough"

Liquid Silk For Smoother Hair!

This Schwarkopf Gliss Hair Repair Express Conditioner is an effective hair care treatment for those with brittle, dull, dry or damaged hair. Available in a spray form it can be used after washing as a leave in spray conditioner or it can be applied to dry hair between washes.

This comes in a generous sized 200ml bottle which has a pump button spray. This ejects a very fine and watery mist into a cloud allowing for a very even application. The bottle's label is printed with essential information including a list of full ingredients, brand contact details and extensive information about the benefits of the product. The brand basically claim that this spray will smooth hair until it is silky and also provide an "intense shine".

The product is easy to use. I prefer using it on dry hair as my hair is quite dry and needs a lot of attention. I find that when I apply the spray my hair instantly feels thicker, bouncier and much, much softer. I have strands that are completely frazzled through colouring and even these pieces of the hair can be softened and relaxed by the spray. I also like the fragrance of the liquid which is quite sweet and floral - a rather feminine scent. It helps leave the hair smelling fresh and delicately fragranced.

What disappoints me about the product is that it doesn't have a high shine as it promises. It's rather a subtle shine which does leave the hair looking much healthier but which doesn't dazzle as I thought it might.

The product can be used again and again without it causing any build up or weighing down the hair. This is a real bonus if you have hair that dries out frequently.

I paid only £3.79 for this which I feel is an excellent price for a product that really transforms the way hair feels and moves. I would definitely buy this again in the future. It is available to buy at stores such as Superdrug and Boots in the UK.

17.05.2015 13:40

Advantages

• "Excellent Quality"
      • Flavoursome

Disadvantages

Tasty & Satisfying Baked Beans!

I recently purchased some of these Branston Baked Beans. Beans are constantly stocked in my household because they are so popular with my family. I tend to buy a mix of shops own and big brand names like Heinz to keep costs down. I bought these Branston Beans because they were on offer.

These Branston Beans are available in different sized tins but the larger size tins are 410g. The label is printed with product information including full ingredients. The product is marked as being suitable for vegetarians. Nutritional information is provided per half can so for a 205g serving there are 201 calories, 0.8g of fat and 1.5g of salt.

I find these beans to be quite unique and distinct from other beans on the market. They have a rich, gelatinous sauce which has a slightly warm and fragrant flavour. It tastes like there is just a touch of added spice to improve the tomato sauce. In fact the ingredients include white pepper, paprika and spices. The beans are quite soft and all well cooked with no dry beans or beans with dark shells. They have a deep orange colour which is very appetizing. I would say that these beans have a much saltier flavour than other beans such as Heinz. The saltiness is acceptable but quite obvious.

These beans are very filling and are perfect for a simple meal such as 'beans on toast'. If I was to cook a simple meal where the beans were going to be a feature I would recommend Branston Beans over other beans as they taste a little more refined and as though they have been cooked and seasoned well.

You can get some good deals with these beans and I purchased a triple pack for only £1 which I feel is a bargain. They are available at most major supermarkets as well as places like discount stores.

16.05.2015 08:49

Advantages

• "Quick Dry "
      • "Nice Shade"

Disadvantages

• "Brush Too Thin"

Difficult To Apply But Durable & Pretty

One of the make-up products I really enjoy using is nail polish and I have a huge collection of products, all of them different shades and from different brands. One of the nail polishes I purchased recently was this Collection 2000 Maxiflex. I'm reviewing this in the shade 59 Icy Pink which is a pearly pale pink colour. I chose this shade because I was looking for a particular delicate, more natural look for my nails and I thought this looked perfect.

The polish comes in a big 12ml sized glass bottle which is sturdy enough to be able to be placed on a flat surface without being tipped over easily. The label on the bottle is printed with full ingredients and some information about the polish. The brand, Collection 2000, claim that the polish is "Durable, flexible, 5 day wear polish". They also state this is a "new generation" polish which is "quick drying" and which provides "high gloss" and is "chip resistant". I've heard several of these claims from other brands of polish though and been very disappointed!

What I like the least about this polish is the brush. It's extremely thin and slightly too long in length. The applicator wand along with the longer brush means precision application is much harder. The tiny brush head means I have to pull this over the nail surface at least three times per nail which is time consuming. The brush also doesn't pick up a lot of liquid so when my nails are long the painted line dries up before I reach the tip of the nail! The nail varnish is reasonably quick drying and I can apply a second coat within minutes.

The polish, at least in this particular shade, is medium consistency but it goes onto the nail rather thinly. Two coats are needed to ensure the nail is fully covered. One coat is not sufficient as you can still see cuticles and the nail edges through the shade. This particular shade, Icy Pink, is a pretty, feminine colour which makes my nails look like shiny little shells. It awards you a subtle look which can be suitable for many occasions and outfits.

I would caution users that they must really shake the bottle of this particular polish prior to use as it tends to separate into a thick layer of pearly glitter and a layer of yellowy oil if left standing for a while. Once it's well blended it gives an even appearance on the nail surface though. The polish is quite good at remaining flawless on the nail, at least for three or four days. I then begin to see minor chips and scratches.

I would buy this again although I really dislike the small brush design. However, the performance of the polish is quite good and I like this neutral shade. Collection 2000 are a budget brand of make-up which can be found in several stores including Boots, Superdrug and Tesco.

• Rimmel Lycra Pro Nail Polish / Make Up / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      15.05.2015 17:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not My Favourite Nail Polish!

I'm reviewing this Rimmel Lycra Pro Nail Vanish in the shade 500 Peppermint. I bought this because it was quite cheap at only £3 (although it's usually a bit more than this) and also because the shade was quite unique.

'Peppermint' is a cool turquoise shade which actually looks much more vibrant on the nails than it does in the bottle. I thought it would be an attractive colour which could match several of my outfits.

The polish comes in a large 12ml bottle. The brush is described by the brand as a "maxi brush". It's extremely wide and will cover the surface of the nail. Unfortunately I find it a little TOO wide and it actually is wider than my little fingernail. This means I have to angle the brush to it's thin edge to apply so it can get a little tricky!

Although this might apply to the 'Peppermint' shade only I've found that one shade is not enough. Two shades deepen the colour and intensify the look but if you have ridged nails like mine then three shades may be needed! The polish looks quite transparent with just one layer. After three layers my nails are completely covered but I don't have to explain how time consuming it is to have to sit and wait while each coat dries! It's a bit of a nightmare!

The colour is very striking and has a 1960's vibe to it which is interesting. It's not possible to tell by looking at the bottle that the colour on the nails will be so vivid.

The polish dries to a thick layer after all the coats are on and even when completely dry it feels a bit rubbery on the nail surface, which I dislike. It tends to scrape and scratch rather than chip away and will last a couple of days before needing to be removed. The brand claim the polish will actually give up to 10 days of wear but this is, in my experience, is a gross over-exaggeration.

The removal process is quite difficult as the polish is quite stubborn. However, the polish can be successfully removed without leaving any staining on the nails surface.

I am not particularly fond of this nail varnish due to the fact I need to apply so many layers. I also find the inconsistencies between how the colour looks in the bottle and how it looks on my nails to be a negative. I also feel the polish is a little too heavy and nagging on the nail's surface. I think I will avoid buying from this particular collection in the future although I've used many other Rimmel nail polishes which have been great.