cyberem78

• Comments

Member since: 15.09.2008

User that trust you
      22.07.2014 21:36

Advantages

• "Has A Lovely Fragrance"
      • "Leaves Hair In Amazing Condition"

Disadvantages

• "Very Expensive"

You Need To Be Super Rich!

I was in Boots recently when a lady approached me and told me I could have a hair dye product for free if I purchased some hair conditioner. She gave me a tiny 2 Fl. Oz. or 50ml sized bottle of Bumble and Bumble Super Rich Conditioner which when I took to the till was super surprised to learn was GBP7.50. I nearly had a heart attack to be honest but I bought it anyway! I have since tried this product on my long, highlighted and naturally wavy hair. I am amazed at the results! So the product comes in a transparent plastic bottle which is recyclable after using. It has a black top which can be totally screwed off but it also has a flip lid which you can press open with your thumb. When closed this lid is very secure and will not leak. There is a list of full ingredients printed on the bottle as well as directions for use. The brand state this conditioner is perfect for hair that is "chemically treated or coarse" which describes my hair completely. It is recommended this be used after the brand's Gentle Shampoo but I just use my regular shampoo brand. The conditioner is a pale corn yellow colour and is very thick in consistency. It's probably the creamiest, richest conditioner I've ever used. Despite it's dense, gooey form it is easy to apply as it seems to melt through my wet hair with ease. The conditioner has a very unique fragrance that reminds me of cut grass and melons. It's a very nice scent that makes me feel refreshed and uplifted. The conditioner is quite easy to rinse out although I do feel it takes a while longer than with a thinner textured conditioner. At this stage I can really feel my hair change. My hair feels silky, thicker and less coarse. My fingers slip through my hair in the water as I'm rinsing out the conditioner. At the towel drying and styling stage my hair is amazingly compliant and combs slide through with no tatty knots anywhere in sight! After drying I am amazed how different my hair looks and feels. It is silky and fashion magazine glossy. It is so well behaved that very little styling is necessary! The delicious fragrance of the conditioner also lingers in the hair. I really wish I could afford to buy this conditioner all the time but I can not! I would recommend to anyone who has a special occasion coming up and needs their hair to be perfect on the day. This conditioner is of an excellent quality and will not let you down.

21.07.2014 16:44

Advantages

• "The black shade is very dark"
      • "Creates an intense fashion statement"

Disadvantages

• "Can be difficult to apply"
      • "Smudges when wet"

Them There Eyes...

I recently bought this Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl liner. I have bought products from Rimmel before and trust the brand so I bought this on brand reputation rather than on anything I knew about the product. This eye liner is a 1.2g or 0.0042 sized pencil. The nib end has a transparent lid protecting the end. The pencil is printed with product information including contact details for the brand, advice on how long the product will remain fresh after first use (30 months) and some information about the benefits of the eye liner. Rimmel state this is a "long wear waterproof eye liner". I have this in the shade 001 Black which is the only black colour in the range of seven colours. Other shades include blues, greys and browns. The pencil is one which must be sharpened continuously to maintain the sharp nib. The inner core of the pencil is really thick. It is approximately 4mm in diameter and this means that you can create a really thick line should you choose this. It also means a thinner line is slightly more difficult to achieve unless the nib is sharpened to a very fine point. The kohl is very soft and squidgy and upon application to the skin it seems to melt and slide a bit. It creates a very dark, intense looking line which is sexy and dramatic. The black shade is very deep, not a smoky black. What I''''ve discovered is that the liner is prone to smudging when wet and especially in hot conditions, whether this be teardrops, rain, water from a pool or sweat. It''''s supposed to be waterproof but it definitely smudges on my eyes and creates that dreaded panda eyes effect. I''''ve found that not overloading on any section of the line can help to reduce the smudging but that''''s difficult to attain given the ultra soft texture of the kohl. What happens is the line remains in place but a watery black liquid bleeds from the line and makes your eyes look bruised. I would therefore have to say it doesn''''t really work as a waterproof eye liner. However, as a non waterproof eye liner it''''s acceptable and is quite similar to a gel liner as it feels so liquid-like when applying onto the skin. The fashion statement of this liner is quite bold and youthful. I would probably buy this again because it is quite cheap at only GBP3.99 but I would warn anyone who is a potential buyer to realise that it is not the best waterproof liner out there. Available widely at shops such as Boots and Superdrug.

• Vax / Vacuum Cleaner / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
      20.07.2014 20:11

Advantages

• "Easy to move around"
      • "Very effective"

Disadvantages

• "Can be pricey"

I''m So Impressed!

I recently bought a Vax Air Pet Upright Vacuum Cleaner model number U87-MA-P and have been using it for about a month. The vacuum cleaner is very light to handle. The handle has a grip pattern and adjustable height too. The head of the vacuum looked very small and flat in comparison with my previous vacuums of other brand makes but this makes no difference to how well the vacuum performs. In fact the flat shape of the brush head means you can slide the vacuum underneath items like sofas with more ease. The head has a brush inside which can be set to rotate or not rotate. On carpets it should be set to rotate and it spins so fast you can''''t see it moving. A little green light on the top of the brush head indicates that the brush is rotating. A button on top of the vacuum which is beside the on/off button stops the rotation and this should be pressed when you are cleaning on hard floors otherwise the spinning brush may damage the floors. I also switch off the brush if I''''m going over loose mats as the suction with the spinning brush can be too strong. If anything gets caught in the brush head it automatically stops and the green light changes to red and flashes to indicate a problem. There is a small button on the side of the cleaner to reset the brush. The vacuum is bagless and has a removable compartment which empties out at the bottom. There are cleanable filters in the top of this compartment. I find it easy to empty the vacuum although you have to tap the compartment to get the dirt out. The vacuum is one of the most effective cleaners I''''ve used. It''''s made for pet owners and the way it cleans up dog hairs, grass and dirt is amazing. It literally makes my carpets look brand new every time I use the cleaner! At the moment I''''m not having to go over an area more than once and it''''s left super clean. The hand detachments are also very effective although the tubing is not quite as long as I''''d like it to be. There is also a bigger brush attachment which doesn''''t clip onto the vacuum so it has to be stored away which is a bit inconvenient. Overall though, I''''m so impressed with this brand and this model. It cost me a bit more than I usually pay but it has been worth it!

20.07.2014 09:05

Advantages

• "Very Chocolatey"

Disadvantages

• "Waxy Texture"

Crispy But Waxy!

I''''m an absolute chocoholic so I bought one of these to try it after seeing it advertised. The Crispello is a Cadbury''''s product and is relatively new to the confectionery scene. It is packaged in the distinctive Cadbury purple wrap which features a picture of what the product looks like. Wrapping is printed with a full list of ingredients, allergy warnings and nutritional values. This product is vegetarian and contains milk, gluten and soya and may contain nuts and egg. The bar is actually comprised of three segments. They are like large pillows, which are a lot bigger than an average sweet, covered with milk chocolate. Inside one of these is a thin layer of crispy wafer which covers a stiff chocolate mousse. So nutritional values are given per piece as well as for the whole three pieces. One piece contains 55 calories and 3.6g of fat. It''''s normally difficult for me to dislike a chocolate bar but I''''m not terribly keen on this one although I would still eat one again in the future. I find the individual pieces too bulky for one bite and when you bite into one piece the crispy wafer tends to crumble all over. I also feel that the outer chocolate coating and the mousse inside have a strange waxy texture that makes the chocolate seem cheap and artificial. It''''s similar to when a bar of chocolate is left in the sun and sweats a bit. I just don''''t find the texture appealing at all. There is no denying that the overall flavour is very chocolatey though. The mousse is actually very sweet and cocoa rich and as it melts in the mouth it tastes quite nice. The mousse doesn''''t fill the crispy shell though which I find unpleasant as it causes the wafer shell to crumble and it also seems like a cheat. The chocolate on the outside of the pieces is supposed to be Cadburys but because it is quite thin it doesn''''t seem to have the same high qualities as a dairy milk bar. Overall I don''''t feel the Crispello is one of the best confectionery items on the market but it''''s still palatable if you like intense chocolate flavours. The product is sold widely in the UK and is priced competitively. I would eat one of these again but it wouldn''''t be my first choice.

19.07.2014 21:03

Advantages

• "Easy To Grip"
      • "Gives Clean Shave"

Disadvantages

• "Head Refills Are Expensive"
      • "Gel Strip Too Gooey"

A Super Shave!

I won one of these Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 razor blades in a competition. It is actually deigned for men but I find it to be completely suitable for my needs. The slightly angled, heavy handle has a rubber panel on the bottom where your fingertips naturally grip. This makes it easy to hold and it doesn''''t slip out of your hand. The weight of the handle is also a helpful aspect as it means you can feel where the razor sits at all times during your shave. The angle of the handle means that I can hold my hand straight and not at an awkward angle. The razor head rotates about 45 degrees and this means it moves according to the shape of your body. You can also have the blade at a fixed, almost flat to the handle position if you pull back the top section of the blade head and click it back in place. This is a special design to help aid shaving in difficult areas and would be particularly useful for the mustache area. The razor head has a gel strip on the top which melts when exposed to water. This acts like a shaving gel or foam and makes the blades slide over skin more easily. The gel strip can be quite effusive upon first uses of the blade head though and between uses the gel can ooze down onto the blades if you leave the razor lying flat. The razor head also has a ribbed rubber strip on the bottom of the blades which acts like a bouncy cushion to stop the blades from cutting the skin. There are five sharp blades and I find they give me a very clean and very thorough shave every time. I never need to go over the same area twice. The blades are easy to rinse off after each use. I have never cut myself with this razor and I find that amazing as I have often nicked myself with other razors! Razor heads can be removed with a simple click of a button on the handle. Refill heads are available widely but are a bit pricey. However, I aim to keep using this Hydro 5 as I find it very impressive and it gives me such a great shave, making the task hassle free and quick. I would recommend this to both men and women.

17.07.2014 16:54

Advantages

• "Has A Nice Fragrance"
      • "Gives A Hint Of Colour"
      • "Moistens Lips"

Disadvantages

• "Top comes off too easily"
      • "Easy To Smear Outside of Lips"

Lovely Pink Lips!

I am obsessive about using lip balm and like to try a lot of different brands. I recently bought this Vaseline Lip Therapy balm in a little plastic tube. It''''s variety is called Rosy Lips and it is a pink tinted lip balm that comes in a dark pinky peach tube. The product comes in a packet which has some information printed on it. Information is also printed onto the outer casing of the tube. The brand state that this product can ''''soothe dry lips''''. They also state this contains a SPF15 as well as softening almond oil and vitamin E for conditioning the skin of the lips. This comes as a 4g stick of lip balm. It has a top which pops off which unfortunately isn''''t too secure and can slip off when moving around inside a handbag. A twisting lipstick style base pushes up the lip balm. The balm is a strong warm pink colour and when you apply the balm it actually colours your lips ever so slightly. I didn''''t realise this at first and then caught my clown-like reflection in a mirror and I had smeared the balm outside of my lips edges. So you have to apply this as carefully as you would a lipstick. The balm has a lovely fragrance which is like rose petals. The balm feels like it melts slightly as it touches your lips and it is very easy to apply. It looks glossy and bright and makes my lips look healthier. The balm feels protective but it is not too thick on the lips. It actually feels like the perfect consistency to wear on the lips and not notice that it is there. It''''s sort of slippery and greasy but it stays in place too. The balm is quite adhesive to the lips unless I drink or eat or wipe the balm off some other way. I enjoy wearing this balm all day long and find it suitable for use in the day time and also before bed. It only cost me a couple of pounds and I think it is great value for money. I would recommend to ladies only.

17.07.2014 16:37

Advantages

• Flavoursome
      • Versatile
      • Flavoursome

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Difficult to find."

Can''t Believe It''s Dairy Free!

I first encountered this brand and product when I attended a Vegan Festival. I''''m a vegetarian who is striving to be vegan wherever possible so the idea of a cheese substitute was very appealing. I purchased another product at the time and enjoyed it so much that at Christmas time I then bought a variety of cheese substitutes from the company''''s website including this No Moo Melty. Despite being worshipped by vegans this brand''''s products are impossible to find on the highstreet. There is only one store near me that stocks this. I gather that most of their customers shop online. This No Moo Melty is really surprising if you''''ve already tried other vegan cheeses. As most vegans will probably know most brands of cheese substitute are nothing like dairy cheeses and are usually squishy and soggy but this No Moo Melty is an incredible mimic. The product has the flavour and texture of a dairy cheese. It has more of a rubbery texture and the way it melts makes it perfect for things like pizzas or on top of chips or whatever you fancy. It also isn''''t too wet so it works well grated in salad dishes or sandwiches. Basically, if you didn''''t know you''''d think you were eating a dairy cheese and that is perfect for me because dairy cheese is something I love. This product comes in a sausage like wrap which is a bit messy to cut open. Ingredients and nutritional details are on the wrap but the overall look of the product is basic. You are able to purchase this in two 100 gram packs or as 100 gram packs in various packages available online. The product contains no soya but contains nut and wheat fibres. There are 249 calories per 100 grams and overall this is half as fattening than dairy cheeses. The flavour of this cheese is mild and creamy with a slight nutty and buttery undertone. It''''s really moreish. It is the perfect accompaniment to any meal where you would normally use cheese but this particular variety is suited to being melted. I will definitely be buying this again although I feel that it''''s expensive. It''''s gbp7.50 for 200 grams and this can be found on the brand''''s website. I would recommend this product to anyone who can not consume dairy or who would like to try a vegan diet.

15.07.2014 12:11

Advantages

• "Smells Lovely"
      • "Makes Hair Look Shiny"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Can Cause Hair To Look Greasy"

Ultra Shiny!

I recently bought a bottle of this Lee Stafford Argan Oil Miracle Shine Spray as I was looking for something to make my dull hair look healthy again. I actually saw this recommended in a glossy women''s magazine which stated the benefits of argan oil for hair. At GBP10.99 this cost a little more than I''m used to paying for hair care products but I was of the understanding that this brand has a strong reputation and I was also convinced by the magazine recommendation. The product comes in a 200ml or 127g sized canister. It''s similar to an aerosol hair spray can and has a spray action pump button on the top which releases a fine mist of product. The can is printed with product information so it includes full details about what argan oil is and why it''s good for your hair. The brand relate a story about how a certain culture of women in Morocco have used argan oil to soften their hair for centuries and now this secret has been discovered by the rest of the world. The brand have actually cultivated their own formula with the oil which they call the ''Pro-Argan complex''. It is designed to create a "light weight, silicone-free glossing mist". Directions for use are quite straightforward - you simply mist the spray over your hair. This is easy to do and should be done at the end of styling your hair to create a shiny finish or before brushing if you want to smooth out hair and create a more natural look. The nozzle produces a very fine mist but the jet of spray is quite sharp so I recommend holding the bottle about 12 inches away from your hair. The product has a gorgeous, distinctive fragrance which is like coconut and brazil nuts and which is a natural scent rather than chemically. Less is more with this product. I have dry bleached hair and even I need just a little bit of this spray. Too much spray leaves your hair looking greasy and lank. Unfortunately it''s quite easy to overdo it. When it''s not overdone the spray creates a high gloss, silky finish. It''s similar to a serum but not sticky and not heavy in the hair. I would only use this once between washes though or it ends up being too much. I would probably buy this again although I do feel it''s too expensive. When applied correctly it does leave my hair looking really healthy and full of life and light. Available at stores like Boots and Superdrug.

• Barry M Nail Paint / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      14.07.2014 16:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

Mermaid Nails!

One of my favourite nail polishes in my collection is this Barry M Nail Paint. I''m specifically reviewing the Mediterranean 405 shade from the Aquarium Collection. This is a range which gives the effect of a glistening "under the sea" effect. The brand describe the nail paint as being "mirror two tone" which allows the effect to be seen at all angles. The bottle is also adorned with a fish scale pattern which implies that the shiny scales of a fish might have been an inspiration for the effect. The Mediterranean shade is a bright peachy pink colour with a gold undertone. It has the effect of looking like wet metal or like mercury. You are able to see the gold in the blend when the light shines over the nail. At times the gold can completely overwhelm the pink colour and your nails look like gold bars. I wasn''t completely convinced about the way the effect is described and thought my nails looked rather more metallic than liquid based but on my first time of wearing the polish my 5 year old niece asked if my nails were dry yet which convinced me! The polish comes in a 10ml glass bottle. The bottle has metal ball bearings in it to keep the liquid polish fluid. A quick shake is advised before using. The brush is medium sized and you need a few sweeps to cover a whole nail. The polish itself is thick and gloopy although it''s easy to spread over the nails. Directions for use state to use a basecoat under this nail paint but I never have and it looks just fine. The polish has a strong chemically smell when applying which is a little unpleasant. The polish is quite quick to dry and because it is so thick on the nail it tends not to chip as easily as other polishes. It is really durable. I think this particular range is quite youthful in style as the colours in the range are quite gaudy and loud plus the effect on the nails is very noticeable. Therefore I can''t say this particular range and shade is to everyone''s taste however I would definitely recommend having a look at this and would recommend the brand for it''s good quality and wide range available. You can buy this polish at chemists like Boots and Superdrug in the UK and it costs GBP3.99 which I think is a very reasonable price.

• New York Sesame Seed Bagels / Snacks / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
      13.07.2014 15:08

Advantages

• "Great flavour."
      • "Perfect Bagel Texture."

Disadvantages

• "Sesame seeds are messy."

The Perfect Bagel!

I have enjoyed eating bagels for many years and have tried all kinds of varieties and brands. One of my favourite bagel varieties are these New York Bakery Co. Sesame Bagels. The brand are an expert in making bagels and all of their products have an authenticity about them as well as being of a high quality. The Sesame variety is a bit of a change from their plain bagel as the seeds, which are baked into the top of the bagel, provide a lot of flavour and a different kind of texture. You are able to buy these bagels in different sized packs including a five pack and a four pack. The prices for these products at my local store on my last shop was GBP1.78 and GBP1.28 The bagels come in distinctive packaging featuring a logo of the statue of liberty. The wrapper is printed with product information including full ingredients and nutritional values. The bagels are suitable for vegetarians and vegans and are free from artificial colours and flavours. One bagel provides 240 calories and 2.6 grams of fat. I enjoy eating these bagels fresh from the packet with nothing on them. I wouldn''t do that with a plain bagel but the sesame seeds on this bagel are slightly oily and have a lovely toasted nutty flavour. I also like to toast the bagels and spread them with fillings like butter or sunflower spread, cheeses, jams, hazelnut spread or peanut butter. Anything goes with these bagels so both sweet or savoury fillings work well. The bagels are soft enough to slice although I find the sesame seeds do come off a lot and make a mess. They aren''t baked into the dough rather than sticking on the top of the bagel. The packaging ends up with a load of seeds in the bottom. I tend to pour these out into the middle of my bagel onto the filling so as not to waste them. These bagels have the perfect dense bagel texture which is more chewy than bread but equally soft. They are really filling and satisfying. I would recommend these to anyone who likes bakery products. I think these are a fantastic alternative to a sandwich at lunchtime and they keep you fuller for longer. Try them!

• Coca Cola Zero / Soft Drink / 9 Readings / 8 Ratings
      13.07.2014 09:38

Advantages

• "Tastes Sweet"
      • "Low Calorie Drink"

Disadvantages

• "Contains Aspartame"
      • "Contains Phenylalaine and Caffeine"

Friday Night Fizz

I don''t drink a lot of fizzy drinks but I got the opportunity to try this Coca Cola Zero recently. A 1.25L bottle was only one pound so it was quite cheap. The bottle is transparent and recyclable with an information label attached to it. This product has a name that possibly implies there are no calories whatsoever in the drink. Actually the ''zero'' refers to the fact that there are no added preservatives in the drink. There is actually one calorie per 250mls of drink. There is also 0.05 g of salt in the same amount but no traces of fat. The drink is actually a blend of water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners including aspartame and natural flavourings including caffeine. It also contains a source of phenylalanine. The brand describe the drink as a being a soft drink with "vegetable extracts" which makes it sound more innocuous than it actually is. The chemicals in the drink make me worry about how healthy this drink can possibly be, no calories or not.The drink is best served chilled and I find the colder the better. It''s very sparkly and fizzy and it''s colour is a jet black like coffee. It has a very sickly, toffee-like smell. The flavour of the cola is slightly different from the brand''s diet drink or original Coca Cola and I feel it actually has a taste that is close to it''s rival brand Pepsi. It''s a sweet,refreshing hit that is enjoyable to drink. Once I''ve started drinking I feel like I want to keep drinking more though. The cola goes well with alcoholic beverages or is fine on it''s own. It''s a great Friday night junk food accompaniment. I''m not sure how much caffeine is in the drink but I do feel slightly upbeat and pepped after drinking this cola. I do not think I would buy this product regularly but if I needed to have a drink like this for a social occasion I would buy this again. Available in major supermarkets.

• photobox.co.uk / Internet Site / 9 Readings / 7 Ratings
      12.07.2014 10:08

Advantages

• "Great colours in the prints."
      • "Good quality prints."

Disadvantages

• "Manual checks on prints is difficult."
      • "Managing prints prior to ordering can be time consuming."

Say Cheese!

I recently used this company to print some digital photographs of my deceased pet and a family party. It had been a long time since I had actually had any of my photos printed out - I usually just keep them in digital form - so I was worried about what the quality of the photos might be. I uploaded 50 pictures to the site from my computer. This was easy to do although a little time consuming. However, you are able to continue to work as the photos are uploaded. I then was able to choose options like size and finish. One aspect that was confusing to me was that I had to crop each picture as they did not conform to the shape of the paper that would be printed on. This took quite a long time as each picture had to be checked individually. This company is quite generous with providing offers and I was able to capitalize on a current money off code which reduced the price for me. The code was accepted during payment with no problems. I love that I was able to pay with Paypal as it just made it so much quicker and easier. I received my photographs withing four days of ordering. They came in a handy plastic sleeve. The pictures look great. They are significantly better prints from my DSLR camera although all of them are really rich in colour and sharp with a lovely glossy sheen. Unfortunately three of the pictures in the set were printed multiple times. I have no idea why but I had to pay for these which is disappointing. Overall, however, I am pleased with the quality of my photographs though and would use this website again.

• Top Shop Clothing / Clothing / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      11.07.2014 18:24

Advantages

• "Unique and Interesting Range"

Disadvantages

• Pricey

Old People CAN shop here

I am in my thirties and hadn''t shopped at Topshop until recently, with my last visit being when I was around nineteen years old. I was tempted to go in again after finding a money off voucher in a magazine. Although I imagined nothing would fit and the styles would be too young I hoped I could get some basics at least. When I went to the store I was completely shocked. There were actually grey haired older ladies shopping inside which put me at ease right away. The styles in store are incredibly modern and most are quite youthful, although you can find a lot of things which are just as suitable for trendy older people too. I noticed that the sizes went up to a size sixteen in the shop which I assume is their biggest size and this size as well as the size twelve and fourteens were sold out in many of the items available. I assume the bigger sizes sell more than the smaller ones. I find the range very impressive and arty. The whole shop looks like it just jumped out of the pages of a glossy magazine. There are some wonderful tops and a large range of denim and particularly jeans. The lingerie was mostly teen inspired designs though. The basics range is very impressive and worth the money. I found it to be slightly more pricey than similar stores. I would definitely go back though.

11.07.2014 18:13

Advantages

• "Sweet Smelling"

Disadvantages

• "Can be pricey."

Strawberry Laces Forever!

This Carex Strawberry Laces Hand Wash is a great smelling hand wash that is ideal for everyone but especially children. The liquid soap cleans well, removes dirt and kills germs and bacteria. It is scented like strawberry sweets and this fragrance is left on the skin after washing. The hand wash is a little bit more expensive than the cheapest hand washes in the supermarkets but I think it is worth the extra cost because it is so enjoyable to use. I love the pump action button and it dispenses the exact amount of gel needed to clean your hands. The gel lathers up well in warm water and is also easy to wash away. It comes in a transparent bottle that is fully recyclable after removing the pump dispenser. I would definitely buy this again as it is a helpful aid in the kitchen or bathroom. It is the most unique hand wash I have found in terms of having this unusual fragrance. I would recommend this to people who clean their hands a lot but especially to mothers who are looking to encourage youngsters to wash their hands more often. The hand wash is fun and unusual and after I use it I can''t stop smelling my skin. I would buy this again and would also recommend the brand.

10.03.2014 18:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

The perfect soundtrack to a lazy day.

My dad bought a new car recently and when he got it home we sorted through the interior and inside we found what appeared to be the remnants of a European road trip. Aside from abandoned hiking clothes, a compass, secret stashes of pound coins and lots of change in Euros in coat pockets and hidden in various compartments we found a few CDs and this Norah Jones album 'Come Away With Me' still playing when we turned the music system on. Jones released the album in 2002 and at the time I recall it being played all over the place. However, I was younger then and wasn't really feeling it. However, after finding all of this stuff in my father's car and hearing Norah's voice pipe up as we started the engine up the music really got to me. I've been listening to the album ever since and dreaming of taking my own much dreamed of road trip.

The album comprises of fourteen tracks. I already knew three of them: her two hugely successful tracks 'Come Away With Me' and 'Don't Know Why'. Jones also sings a cover version of the old classic 'The Nearness of You' which I was familiar with prior to hearing this cover. All of the tracks have the same kind of style and tone and sometimes it feels like the whole album is one long track with just a few variations of mood and rhythm. I would describe the style as being a blend of soft jazz and blues with touches of folk and pop. It's a very relaxing mix that makes you feel like you have been spellbound or that you are falling into a dream. The music has a bare bones style which allows Jones' voice to dominate and seduce. Her voice is like black-coffee and cream - it is soft but strong and it is terribly beautiful and touching and a voice you can identify with. She sings best when the songs are mellow and ambling. Her attempt to be snappy and snazzy on the jazzier numbers comes across as being slightly staged although she still sings as though she enjoys the performance.

Many of the songs feature lyrics which are contemplative or which have a vague dreaminess about them which embodies the sense of an endless, lazy summer day. The writing has a intelligent, poetic style and the observations she makes have a maturity to them. Every single track on the album contains a message that is capable of drawing a listener in and really engaging them.

I think the best tracks on the album are her most well known tracks 'Don't Know Why' and 'Come Away With Me'. The first of these tracks opens the album is upbeat in mood with a sleepy, lilting style that makes me feel warm and cheerful. The latter track is more atmospheric, darkly intense and romantic.

There are some unusual and notable touches to the album. 'Lonestar', for instance, is a track that mimics old-school American country and Western music yet it does so in a very subtle way whilst still retaining the essence of Norah Jones and her contemporary blues/jazz album. It's a very clever arrangement. 'Feelin The Same Way' is a faster paced track which sounds like a pop song that has been stripped down to a cleaner acoustic sound. 'Painter Song' has a curious European busker edge to it which is pretty and unusual. 'Cold Cold Heart' is bouncy and sultry with a classic jazz formation.

I have artists in my music collection who are very similar to Norah Jones. Bic Runga, for example, is an artist I would highly recommend should you like this particular album. My own feelings about my original reception of Norah Jones and this album is that I perhaps was a bit put off because the album was so commercially successful and possibly a bit overplayed at the time. I also doubted Norah's talent because I assumed her presence on the music scene was due only to her association with Ravi Shankar (her father). I am glad I have found this album now though, or rather that this album found me! I've been playing it again and again and it instantly takes me to a place where I'm serene and positive and dreaming about the day when I can take my own road trip - I've always wanted to meander my way around France - and if or when I ever pack up and go I'm taking this album with me to play on the road!