dkm1981

dkm1981
  • Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

22.07.2015 22:45

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
      • "Works well"

Great, light moisturiser

When I was pregnant, people struggled with what to buy me for Christmas and for my birthday - alcohol was out, clothes were out, the list was endless. Which was why I ended up with so much body stuff. I didn't mind too much though because I ended up with some really nice stuff, one of my favourite things being the Righteous Butter body butter by Soap and Glory.

The thing that I like most about this body butter is the smell. It is a really nice smell that is not at all overpowering, so you don't get fed up of it during the day. It is really fresh and light and smells like summer. It is really nice and I wish they did it I. Perfume for. To be honest, because it is just the kind of scent I like.

The second thing I like about this product is the texture, it is really light - almost mousse like in texture, rather than being a super thick butter. This doesn't make it any less effective though because it moisturises really well. It is nice and luxurious feeling on my skin so I feel like I have really put something nice on. The mousse like texture means that it is really easy to apply NAND also that it rubs in really well and doesn't leave your skin feeling all craggy and over moisturised.

It works well as an all over moisturiser and is even gentle enough to use on your face, which I do regularly.

Overall I would say this is a great product and I would really recommend it because it genuinely good and worth the money - go on, spoil yourself!

• Nivea Sun Tan Cream / Sun Care / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      01.07.2015 23:38

Advantages

• Works
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Excellent Sun Protection Range

I am not really brand loyal when it comes to sun cream - since it is a generally very expensive product, I tend to go with what is on offer. The one that I seem to go to most often though is the range from Nivea, which i actually think is a very good all round product.

The particular lotion I buy comes in the spray bottles and it is this that would make me buy the brand time and again. The sprays are very easy to use with a quick free moving pump action which is great because it means you can use it easily even when you have a hand full of sun cream, which I inevitably do. the spray nozzle is easy to clean as well, which makes it last longer.

The cream itself is easy to rub it and easy to get good cover with and I have never burnt when I have used it according to the instructions, which is brilliant. I like that it comes in a variety of different factors in both spray pump bottles and squirts bottles, which contain a slightly thicker creamy type product as opposed to the milkier type stuff you get in the sprays.

They do a range which is suitable for children as well which is particularly good because it comes in higher factors (30 to 50) and it comes in a version that is green until it soaks in so that you can see where you have out it and whether or not it has soaked in properly.

The lotion isn't cheap, but at around the eight pound mark, it isn't the most expensive on the market either. That said, it is more often than not on offer so that you can get a bottle for about £5, which I would say is very good value for money.

01.07.2015 23:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

Basic and budget

The title of this product pretty much sums it up for me - it is a value set top box. There are absolutely no frills to it and it doesn't cost a lot. It would make for a great entry level set top box, but is no good for people who want a lot of fancy gadgets and buttons.

Aesthetically it is probably one of the simpler ones out there, but that is not necessarily a bad thing - you can't go wrong with it because it isn't offensive in any way. It is a rectangular thin box and is entirely black so will go anywhere.

The signal that you get from it depends on your TV really and the area you live in. It has always been ok for us although the signal is easily interrupted in bad weather.

The remote control on it is pretty lousy - very cheap and nasty looking and quite temperamental it is absolutely no good for people who can't handle fiddly things, because the buttons are very small and not that sensitive, which means they need a fairly hefty push.

The menu screens follow the same theme as everything else on this set top box in that they are very simple. There is an annoyance here with the box as the machine is a little slow to react to button presses, which is annoying because if you do a few presses in succession, the couple of seconds delay can sometimes mean that it doesn't register every press.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product really unless you want something really entry level and cheap and cheerful. It is basic but it only just about does the job - you are probably better stretching the budget a bit further for something better - wes certainly did not long after buying this one.

• Zeta Vooom Stroller / Pushchair & Pram / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      20.06.2015 13:45

Advantages

• "Nice colour"
      • Sturdy
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Excellent Budget Buggy

We bought this push hair to take on holiday. We have a travel system already, but we didn't want to risk getting it damaged whilst transporting it on a plane and also it is a bit chunky to travel around with. We thought it would be better to get a cheaper, more flexible one to take away so that we could have peace of mind. We bought this one for around forty pounds from amazon.co.uk and this price included delivery.

We really like. The push chair and it is pretty good quality, especially for the price that we paid. We were first drawn to it by the fact that it is available in a variety of different colours and we went for the lighter blue one for our little boy, which is a really nice colour.

Our little boy is only three months old, so we wanted one that was suitable from birth, which this one is because of the adjustable seat height. It goes almost flat, which is perfect for him, but it also goes to almost sitting upright, which means it will be good for a few years, making it good value for money in terms of how long we can use it for.

It seems to be comfortable because our son had no problems sleeping in it when we went for walks and things on holiday, which is great.

It is very easy to put up and down and it feels like it is pretty good quality, which is excellent and means that it will probably withstand a few years of being carted around the world - perfect!

I would definitely recommend it for both day to day use and for taking on holiday - great product and great value.

20.06.2015 12:32

Advantages

• "lots of colours"
      • cheap

Disadvantages

• basic

cheap and cheerful watch

I have loads of these watches. I bought them when they had their moment of glory and were being endorsed by celebrities (including Rhiana and a certain Mr Bieber no less) left, right and centre a few years ago. I didn't buy them for the celebrity endorsements, but more because they are cheap and cheerful.

They come in pots of different colours but this pink one is one of my favourites because it is such a nice coral colour rather than being too girly or illuminous. It is quite dark and goes well with lots of things.

The watch is simple and just has the digital time displayed on it. This makes it suitable for children. It comes in various sizes from extra large down to extra small, the latter of which is perfect for small hands.

It simply slides over the wrist, as it is made from stretchy rubber material. This means that it is very comfortable and so i use it for doing sports and exercise because it doesn't make my wrists sweaty.

I also think they are perfect for on holiday for wearing on the beach because i don't mind leaving it with my towel and stuff whilst i go in the sea because it is easy to hide and not valuable so it won't get stolen!

The Breo Roam watches cost ten pounds each when they came out, which was pretty good value for money. If you have a quick look on the Internet, you can find them for half of that and even less now, which makes them exceptionally good value for money.

I would definitely recommend the watches because they are cheap and cheerful and this one is a particularly nice colour.

• Hotpoint DWF61 / Dishwasher / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
      10.06.2015 10:09

Advantages

• "Fairly quiet"
      • Works

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't fit eight settings in!"

Decent dishwasher

We bought a dishwasher simply because we had a hole to fill in the kitchen and we bought this particular make and model because it matches the washer dryer and fridge freezer that we got at the same time. I'm not really the biggest fan of dishwashers because I think they are generally more hassle than they are worth, but as far as they go, this one is pretty good.

The dishwasher wasn't cheap (but then white goods like this never are) and we paid about £350 for it. This wasn't the cheapest in the shop, nor was it the most expensive. It is very much a middle of the range machine and is priced accordingly. I would say it is decent value for money comparatively.

It is designed to (apparently) be able to wash up to eight place settings at once. I say apparently because I'm not sure exactly how you can make it do this. Alright there are spaces for eight plates and eight lots of cutlery, but where on earth are you supposed to put the cookware (the pans and so on) that you would have used in order to make eight meals? The dishwasher has two shelves; the bottom is where you put all the plates, bowls and cutlery and the top is where you put the pans and glasses and other bits. I would say you go do four settings at most with all the pans and glasses taken into account.

One of the things I really like it is the removable cutlery container which makes it easier for emptying said items at the end of the cycle.

The dishwasher does a good job of cleaning items and everything tends to come out clean even if it has more stubborn stains on. I do tend to help it along though by rinsing the most dirty items. Everything does get that squeaky feel that dishwashers give, but I think that must be part and parcel.

The cycle takes about half an hour and then you have drying time after that - we tend to just leave the stuff in there over night to let it dry. The machine is relatively quiet all things considered and it turns itself off when it has finished. It is energy efficient.

Overall I would recommend it if you are in the market for a decent quality dishwasher.

09.06.2015 23:58

Advantages

• "Good results"
      • Quick
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "Not cheap"

Excellent Gadget

I bought this for my husband for his birthday last year. I know it doesn't sound like a particularly fun or romantic birthday present, but he absolutely loves it and says sit is definitely one of his favourite gadgets, which is praise indeed!

The Karcher is widely available and cost me £50 from amazon, which I think is reasonably cheap, considering that it comes with lots of other bits and pieces. It is actually really good value for money too because we have cancelled our window cleaner as a result, which saves us £5 every fortnight, so it has pretty much paid for itself so far.

The cleaner is hand held and need charging up first which is easy to do and the charge lasts long enough to do all of our windows, which probably takes hubby about forty five minutes to an hour (because he does the upstairs ones too which involves shifting the ladder around). I'm not sure how long it is supposed to last, but i think it does last a lot longer than an hour it's just that we haven't tested it for longer because we don't need to!

The machine is ridiculously easy to use and needs no water or anything else. It is so easy that even I can do it, although if am not allowed to because hubby enjoys doing it so much! It leaves the windows looking streak free and clear in very little time.

Definitely recommended because it is so easy to use and, even though it isn't that cheap, it is really good value for money. Hubby wouldn't be without it now!

09.06.2015 09:09

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Comfortable
      • "Nice colour"

Disadvantages

• "Figure huggin"

Nice Nursing Top

I bought quite a lot of blooming marvellous stuff whilst I was pregnant because I found that the range fitted me a lot better than the stuff from Mamas and Papas. One of the things I bought was this wraparound nursing top, which is actually got in green and white stripes rather than the grey one shown here. They are exactly the same though apart from the colour.

The top was in the sale so only cost me £5 which is exceptional value for money. Even at full price though it is only £10 which I thought was still very good. The top like I said is green and white striped, and the green is a lovely minty colour which I really like. I prefer the stripy one to the plain ones because they are a bit more flattering.

The material is a clingy material which stretches to fit, but doesn't exactly hide a multitude of sines, which is a shame because I would have liked it to have been a bit more flowy to cover up my belly, post pregnancy.

The fact that it is a nursing top means that it has a hidden panel behind the breast bit at the top, which looks nice, but means that you can breastfeed discreetly, it is very well designed and is easy to whip up when the need arises and easy to put back down again so you don't look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Overall I would recommend this range of tops but I prefer the ones with a bit more to them than the plain ones and beware that they don't hide your belly, which is something to bear in mind at a time when you are probably going to be quite conscious of your outward appearance.

09.06.2015 09:00

Advantages

• Comfortable

Disadvantages

• "Fiddly "

Sleep Bras

I got a couple of these just before I had my son and I actually quite like them. I wore them before he was born for sleeping in because I wanted some support for my ever expanding boobs whilst I was sleeping to help with the pains I was getting from lack of support.

They do the job quite well actually and I found the bra really comfortable to sleep in, which is saying something because I really don't like sleeping with a bra on as a rule. The material is nice and soft and it has withstood quite a bit of washing too so far, which is nice. The lady in the shop said that she wore these bras during the day too after her baby was born for just slouching round the house and I have to agree with her and say that they are perfect for that purpose too.

The bra has a little clasp in the corner which is designed to undo so make feeding easy without having to remove your bra. In principle this is perfect, but in reality it is a little bit fiddly, especially in the middle of the night when you have gone from fast asleep to awake in about three and a half seconds. Fastening it back up with one hand it a challenge too. Having said that, it doesn't much matter if you don't taste it up because it is just as comfortable down anyway.

I paid about £25 for a pack of two of these and I would say that is fairly good value for money really, because they are handy to have and are comfortable and supportive during the night.

08.06.2015 22:47

Advantages

• "Link remover included"
      • "Nice size"
      • Pretty

Disadvantages

• "No numbers "
      • "The spelling of the name!"
      • "Maybe a bit glitzy for some"

Glittery Watch

I actually won this watch in a competition at work. It is not something that I would have bought for myself because it is a little bit too blingy, but for free I was happy to take it and have it for occasional use.

It is stainless steal with diamanté a around the face and on the strap. The strap is quite unique in that it is made up of circular pieces of stainless steal, it looks quite striking and makes it very suitable for nights and and teaming up with a fairly glamorous outfit.

The watch fits nicely and this is important to me because I have very narrow wrists and tend to struggle with watches because they just look too chunky on me. This is not the case at all with this one as both the face and strap are on the smaller side. This would also make it suitable for teenagers as a gift. The watch comes with a little tool for removing links yourself, which is obviously brilliant.

There are a couple of problems I have with the watch - the first, as I have mentioned is that it is a little bit too blingy for me because it is very bright and shiny, shall we say! The other problem I have is that there are only markings on the face for 12, 3, 6 and 9, and the markings are very small, which means it is a bit more challenging to tell what the time is as daft as that sounds! It's not a good watch for anyone with eyesight problems ha ha!

The watch is available for around the £50 mark, which I think is reasonable value to be honest and I would recommend it if you like something with a bit of glamour!

06.06.2015 12:16

Advantages

• "Comfortable "
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not water proof"

Cheap and Cheerful

I went through a phase of buying a load of these Breo Roam watches because they were cheap and they we convenient. I had it in all different colours, but my favourite was this aqua blue one, which is such a really lovely colour.

The watch is very simple, it is just a bracelet style watch made of rubber which makes it ridiculously comfortable and one of the best things about it in my opinion. It is great for when you are doing sports because it isn't too tight and doesn't get sweaty because it is such a thin watch.

It has a digital display which might make it good for children who can't yet tell the time. It isn't adjustable, but it does come in four sizes - extra small, small, large and extra large. Extra small is designed for children. I use small, but I have very thin wrists. The rubber is stretchy, which means it is easy to get over your hand and then it fits snuggly.

The watch was originally available for £10 but is now available for a lot less than that, in fact I got one of mine for just £4 which makes it cracking value for money. It also is the reason why I take the watch on holiday with me because I don't mind leaving it whilst I go in the sea. It isn't water proof although it is water resistant, although I am dubious about this because I know a few people have had trouble with getting water droplets in the face when they have used it in the shower.

The colour is lovely - nice and bold, and it hasn't stained at all when I have used it in the sun with sun cream and so on, which some of the lighter ones do.

Overall, I would definitely recommend it as long as you don't spend too much money on it.

• Sophie the Giraffe Teether / Baby Toy / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      06.06.2015 12:04

Advantages

• "Good for teething"
      • Squeaky
      • "Looks cute"

Disadvantages

• Pricey
      • "For older babies"

Super Squeaky Sophie!

My sister bought Sophie Le Giraffe for my little boy when he was born nine weeks ago because she knew that I loved it (I'm a bit of a Francophile, so I loved the idea of a little giraffe travelling from France to meet my son!). I think I have to honestly say that I like it more than my son but that will change in the future.

The giraffe is a beige and white squeeze toy that emits a squeaky noise when you squeeze her belly. She is rubbery in texture and has a very light scent so that you don't get that nasty rubbery aroma that you get with cheap rubber toys. She is designed for baby to squeeze and put in their mouth and will withstand a fair bit of chewing so will be brilliant when it comes to teething.

I think the toy is designed for slightly older babies than my two month old because it isn't really bright so doesn't capture his attention quite as much as I'd like it to. I think though he seems to be getting more and more enamoured with it as he gets older though so I am sure it will become a firm favourite. It is great because it is quite a narrow toy which means he can grab it comfortably, which he does now and seems to enjoy.

The toy isn't cheap and retails at around the thirteen pound mark, but I think it will become worth it's weight in mgold soon and I know that my friends's baby is never without hers because she loves chewing it and squeaking it.

Overall I would recommend it, but for slightly older babies who will be able to enjoy it much more.

06.06.2015 11:51

Advantages

• "Baby loves it"
        • "Bright colours"
        • "Good value"

Disadvantages

• "None for me and baby!"

Baby Loves Bouncing!

This was one of the many things we bought in preparation for baby's arrival and, nine weeks after he made his entrance, I can safely say it was one of our best purchases because he and we love it.

We bought the chair from amazon for £29.99, which is a few pounds less than it is available in other palaces like Mothercare. We thought it was comparatively good value then because it has various features we liked including playing two whimsical songs (the farmer wants a wife being one of them) and a vibrating function. It is brightly coloured and has a wooden look branch over the chair (which is easily removed for ease of putting baby in and out of the chair). The branch has an owl dangling from it which you pull to play the tunes. You only have to pull it gently so I am sure baby will be doing this himself before very long. There are also a couple of other wood themed dangly toys which are remove able and double up as rattles. They are in bod colours which means they catch and hold baby's attention.

Initially baby liked the bright red mushroom most because he seemed to be able to differentiate it. Now he is a bit older and can interacte more with things, he sits for ages laughing at the owl, which has big round eyes that he fixates on. It's really lovely seeing him enjoy the seat so much.

I have to say that he seems completely indifferent to the vibration function, which is great for us actually because it means we won't have to replace the batteries as often because we never have the vibrate thing on!

The chair has a buckle to keep baby safe, but it also means that baby can sit in there and wriggle around without sliding down the chair and he stays comfortable.

Overall I would completely recommend this baby bouncer. It is good value and baby really loves it!

• Pearl Drops / Oral Care / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
        16.05.2015 12:32

Advantages

• Works

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Expensive, but did seem to work

I got the Pearl Drops Lasting Flawless toothpaste as a free sample from Bzzagent to try and I have to say that, although I initially didn't like it, it actually grew on me and I think it is a pretty good product.

The toothpaste claims to give you visibly whiter teeth in just five days of using it. I'm not sure about this claim, but my teeth did look whiter after about a week of using it. I took a before and after picture on my phone and you can actually see the difference when you put them next to each other, which I think is pretty impressive. Alright it isn't the five days that they claim, but it isn't far off and you can see the difference.

The consistency of the toothpaste is not nice really and it takes some getting used to. When I first used it, I thought it was a bit like having putty in my mouth because it was so thick. I did get used to it though and it wasn't so bad after a couple of days and I guess it needs to be fairly thick to have any effect.

The taste of it is another thing that takes some getting used to. It is minty, but it doesn't have the instant hot of mint flavour that you get with other brands of toothpaste. It seems to be more of a slow release flavour in that the longer you brush for, the more it comes out. I did find that it left my breath feeling quite fresh afterwards though, which is good.

The toothpaste isn't cheap, at around seven pounds for a seventy five mililitre tube, but I do think it is a fairly good product and it may just (but really only just) worth the price tag.

16.05.2015 12:13

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
          • "Looks good"
          • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Wheels will wear out quickly"

A Great Pram For A Great Price

I spent a lot of time researching primes before the little one came along because I wanted to make sure that I got a good one, but not one that was insanely expensive. I eventually bought this zoom one from Mamas and Papas that came as part of a set with the car seat for just £299. This price was the reason that I did so much comparing and contrasting because it seemed too good to be true. I'm pleased to say that it wasn't though and I would highly recommend it.

The pram is all black, but you can get various colour versions of it because you can change the hood and cover part of it. They have lots of colours including blue, red, pink and green. The pram looks good - nothing too fancy but not too dull either. I like that you have a pretty plain canvas with it that you can personalise with various accessories.

The pram is easy to use. One of the criteria my husband wanted was that he could work out how to collapse it and put it up without instructions, which he managed quite quickly. Everything clicks into place when you've done it right which is nice and reassuring!

Like I said the pram is comparatively cheap, but I think it is excellent value for money because it has a really good build quality. It obviously has been battered and bruised since I got it but it still looks as good as new. Even if something did go wrong, there is a two year warranty on the chassis and I have been told by many people that Mamas and Papas are excellent when it comes to giving replacements quickly if necessary, so you have that peace of mind. The only thing I can see being an issue is the wheels wearing out but it isn't a major concern because you can get replacement ones fairly cheaply.

The pram is lightweight, which means it is easy to push around and the breaks are easy to apply and release. There is a break on the front wheel too, which is actually very handy for rocking the pram backwards and forwards without it going all over the place. The handle also has various levels to make it comfortable and you can even push it all the way down, which is good for pushing the pram right up against a table in a restaurant.

Overall I would highly recommend this prams as an excellent choice, it is cheap, looks good and will last will. Recommended.