dkm1981

dkm1981
  • Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

26.08.2015 23:04

Advantages

• "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Nice Smell, But Expensive

I got this shower gel a few years ago as part of a set with some Jimmy Choo perfume and I think it is quite nice actually. It is not something that I have rushed out to buy again, but I think that this is mainly due to the price of it - it is one thing getting it as a gift, but it is another thing entirely to fork out that kind of money on a shower gel when you can get perfectly nice ones from all of the supermarkets for much, much less. Having said that, it is still nice.

It retails at about £20, although it does seem to be quite difficult to get hold of. Whether they still make it or not, I'm not sure, but it can be found in some places if you care to google it and it is around the £20 mark as I say, which I personally think is on the expensive side and is not good value for money.

It smells really nice. it smells a lot like the Jimmy Choo original perfume, on which it is based, which is good. Although this might sound like an obvious thing to say, but I have had a lot of these lotions and potions that smell nothing like their source. This is a good representation. It smells light and fresh. It's a bit flowery, but not overly so and it a good all round scent really, I think most people would like it because it isn't overpowering. The smell also lasts quite well which is nice. I often get a whiff of it even a few hours after I have used it in the shower.

It is a nice consistency and makes a nice lather which means it feels really luxurious which I suppose goes some way to justify the price tag.

Overall I like it and would recommend it if you are planning on a treat for yourself.

17.08.2015 22:58

Advantages

• bright
      • "Good for travel"

Disadvantages

• "thin base"
      • Flimsy

OK Travel Play Mat

We have a play mat for our son which he uses at home and loves, but it is a bit on the chunky side and isn't easy to transport when he goes to nanny's house for example. We also recently went on holiday and wanted a familiar toy for him to have abroad. He loves his play mat, so we thought we would try and get one that would be easier to carry around, which is how we ended up with this one. It is good but it isn't great.

The thing that I love about it is that it is easy to transport thanks to the two handles at the end of the base, which mean you can simply gather the two sides together and carry it like a bag, the whole thing folds in half and the archway tucks in between neatly. The mat is bright and the toys grab my son's attention because they are colourful and different from each other.

What I don't like about it is the fact that the base is so flimsy and thin. This means that we just aren't happy letting him lie on it without some kind of thick blanket or rug underneath him, which is a bit of a nuisance. It also doesn't stand up very well. When my son was younger (and stiller) it was OK, but now that he is a bit older (he is four months) and he fidgets a bit more, it doesn't stand as well which is a shame.

We paid around £20 for it and I think that is ok, but I would be very annoyed if I'd have paid any more for it.

17.08.2015 22:49

Advantages

• Bright
      • Soft

Disadvantages

• "Can be expensive"

Great Baby Toy!

My son is now four and a half months old and this toy has been a firm favourite of his for a few weeks now. i am really impressed with it as well and am so glad that I decided to buy it for him.

Why Does Baby Like it?

Well he initially liked it because of the colours. We noticed that he generally liked black and white things because he could differentiate the shapes. This was definitely true with this bold penguin toy which is obviously black and white anyway. He really likes the eyes which make him smile because they are big and round and clear.

As he got a bit older, he liked the fact that he could grab it himself. The 'handle' of the toy is fairly narrow which means he can just about get his tiny hands around it.

The toy squeaks and it is a fairly loud squeak that can make him jump but once he realises what it is, he giggles beautifully. When you squeak it out of his line of vision, he smiles and looks for the toy, which is great. he hasn't quite fathomed out how to squeak the toy himself, but once he has, I imagine he will be very pleased with himself!

Why Do I Like It?

I like it because baby likes it and it makes it much more fun to play with him with it. We play games like peek a boo with it and it is fun for interacting with baby. I also love the fact that it is soft so I am happy with him playing with and chewing the toy by himself, knowing that he won't cause himself any pain!

Overall I would totally recommend the toy. I got it for around the £5 mark, which is great value for money. It is available on amazon for around £10 which is still OK value but I'd try and find it cheaper!

17.08.2015 22:27

Advantages

• "Narrow face"

Disadvantages

• "Too blingy"

Not So Great Watch

I won this watch in a competition at work and to be honest, it is the only reason that I own one and I hardly ever wear it because I am just not all that fussed by it to be honest. I don't wish to sound ungrateful because it is always nice to win something, but this is just not my kind of watch.

===So What's Good About It?===

Well first of all, despite what I said, it is not all bad. The watch does have some positives. Firstly it is a really nice size. I have very thin wrists and I struggle to find suitable watches because they often have faces that are far to big for me, This one isn't at all too big and it sits really nicely on my wrists.

If you like blingy things, then it is perfect for you because it is literally covered in Swarovski crystals. It makes the watch stand out a mile and perfect for a glamourous night out. The watch is available in different colours which basically means that they have white crystals as well as one other colour - blue, red etc. The on i have is pink which is a baby pink colour and works well with the white.

===So What's Not So Good About It?===

Well unfortunately it isn't that well made and so I don't think it will stand the test of time. I have only worn it a couple of times and the crystals have already started to fall off it. In fact some fell off whilst it was in my jewellery box.

===Would I Recommend It?===

It's is available for about £40 which is pretty cheap really, but even so, I can't recommend it because the quality just isn't good enough.

• Sekonda Party Time 4317 / Watch / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      17.08.2015 22:12

Advantages

• "Not Overly blingy"
      • Cheap
      • Pretty

Disadvantages

• "Won't last forever"

A Nice Watch

I have a bit of a thing for watches and, since I have to wear one for work, I go through quite a few of them as they get battered and bruised. This is how I came to have a Sekonda Party Time watch. I originally had a black one, which is the colour I have to wear for work and I liked it so much, I treated myself to this blue one as well.

The thing I like most about it is the fact that it is so comfortable to wear. The straps are made of a rubber type material that is really light and sits comfortably on my wrist. I am a bit weary of rubber straps really because they have a tendency to give you sweaty wrists, but this one doesn't at all, which is good.

The second thing I like about it is the crystals around the edge of the face. I am not a blingy person at all, in fact I generally steer clear of blingy things, but I think they add a bit of glamour to this watch in an understated way. it means that the watch is a nice addition to your night out outfit. The fact that it comes in a range of colours means that you can colour match your outfit if you so wish. This particular colour is very nice. It is a lovely deep blue that is quite vibrant and works really well with the crystals.

The watch was £25 when I bought it but I see that you can get it online now for around the £16 mark which is remarkably good value for money. I would definitely recommend it if you want a little bit of sparkle!

16.08.2015 22:41

Advantages

• Cheerful
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not waterproof"
      • Basic

Good Cheap Watch, Not the Best Colour

I have a ridiculous number of these watches in all different colours, including this green one. I like the watches, which is why I have so many of them, but this isn't one of my favourite ones in the range really.

I like the watches for a number of reasons. Firstly they are very comfortable to wear because they are made of rubber and they are very thin so they are light on your wrist too. This makes them perfect for wearing in the summer months and also for when you are doing any exercise, which is basically the two times that I wear them. They come in a number of sizes, ranging from XXS to XL. I wear a small, the two lower sizes are for children really. I have very thin wrists, so this small one fits me perfectly. They slip on over the hand easily because they are stretchy which makes them even more comfortable to wear.

The watch has a very simple face with digital numbers on, which might make it. A good watch for youngsters who haven't yet learnt how to tell the time.

I have lots of different colours, but this green one isn't really my favourite. It is a bit of a wishy washy colour really - I'd have liked it to have been a bit brighter. As it is it is a sort of yellowsish green, which I don't like all that much really. The only other thing about the watch that isn't that great, is the fact that they aren't waterproof. In fact it's not even water resistant. If you wear it in the shower, you end up with what looks like condensation in the face.

Despite that, I would recommend a watch from this range though, because they are now available for around the £5 mark, which makes them incredibly good value for money.

11.08.2015 12:56

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Pretty

Disadvantages

• "Big face"

Nice Glamorous Watch

I got this watch a couple of years ago from work when the fashion for rose gold jewellery first came about and I really like it. I actually won it in a competition and I have to say that I was delighted with my prize.

The watch is fairly big and I have fairly small wrists, so it only just fits and looks ok. I have looked around to see if they do a smaller faced one, but it doesn't seem to exist, which is a shame because I think the size of the face on this one would put a lot of people off. That said, it doesn't look too bad and for free, I wasn't going to complain, the straps are also quite large but it is really easy to take links out, so easy in fact that my local watch shop actually did it for free for me. I think I had to have three taken off each sitrap.

The watch feels really comfortable and it sits nicely on my wrist. It isn't too heavy. It looks like it might be but it isn't thankfully. The thing I like most about it though is the pattern on the front, which is so pretty. It is a pinky peach coloured face with little white flowers on which I really like. I am surprised I like it to be honest because I am not a girly girl but it is fairly ended stated. There are a few Swarovski crystals around the face too which add a bit of sparkle, but not too much.

Overall I would recommend the watch, but I do wish that they'd do a slightly smaller faced one. It is currently available on amazon for around £40 which is particularly good because the RRP is £70.

11.08.2015 12:44

Advantages

• "Lasts well"
      • "Smells nice"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not luxurious"

Decent, Cheap Moisturiser

I have used Vaseline Intensive Care products on and off for many years because i think they do a good job of moisturising. These days I favour a body Shop Body Butter because I think they are more intense (despite the name of this product), but I still like the Vaseline stuff for a lighter lotion in summer and for all over the body.

My particular favourite is the cucumber and aloe Vera one, but the plain one is quite nice too. I'm not a fan of the cocoa one, it is just too sweet and sickly for me. The other two are much lighter and more summery fragrances that aren't too overpowering. The smell does seem to last well so it's important that you pick one that you like.

The lotion itself is light and blends in well. It isn't particularly luxurious feeling in comparison to a butter or even a mousse for example, but I do find that it produces good results and leaves my skin feeling moisturised all day long even with just a little amount. This means that it is also particularly good value for money because it lasts quite a long time really.

One of the best things about Vaseline Intensive Care Hand and Body Lotion is that it is cheap, especially for what you get. You can get 500ml bottles in the major supermarkets for around the five pounds mark, which is cracking good value in my humble opinion.

Overall, it isn't my favourite product and it is not perfect, but for the money that you pay for it, I'd recommend it as a decent moisturiser that lasts well and smells nice.

11.08.2015 12:23

Advantages

• "Long lasting"
      • Moisturising
      • Thick

Disadvantages

• " perhaps overpowering"
      • "Strong smell"

Good Moisturiser But Overpowering Scent

I am not a big fan of tThe Body Shop in general because I think their products are often overpriced for what they are, I am however a big fan of their body butters and I have tried a million and one different flavours. I often buy them from outlet shops where you can buy five for fifteen pounds and you don't get to choose which flavours you get. That is how I ended up with this orange one, which is not one I would have chosen myself and probably isn't one I would choose again to be honest.

The butter does exactly what you would expect it to do, which is moisturise the skin well. The thing I like most about this range is that they are nice and thick and they feel really luxurious, which is no different with this one. It has a thick creamy consistency but it rubs in really easily and really well. I love that it is an all over body moisturiser but that it is gentle enough to use on the face, which is where I use it most frequently. A finger tip sized amount is enough for your face and I find that it lasts all day.

The butter is available in a 200ml tub for around £13 which is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but a tub will last you ages and ages even if you use it all over every day. I imagine that you will get fed up of the scent before you run out of it. Like I said though, if you are lucky enough to be close to an outlet store, you can usually get a good deal on them, especially seasonal flavours like this one.

As for the smell, it is deep finitely orangey. Actually I would say it is more mandarin scented, which might sound like I am being pedantic, but I think there is a big difference. I like it but I'm not blown away by it. The problem with these butters is that they are very strongly scented and the smell lasts all day, so if you pick one you don't like, it's bad news. Like I said this one is ok, but it not one I'll be picking again because it is a little too sweet and slightly too overpowering for me.

Overall I would recommend Body Shop butters because they are really good, but perhaps not this one unless you really like strong orange smells. If you are thinking of trying it, I'd suggest sampling a bit first and wandering around for a while with it on before going back and buying it.

07.08.2015 22:54

Advantages

• "Storage space a plenty"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Uncomfortable

Goodish Cheap Divan Bed

About eight years ago, hubby and I (or my boyfriend and I as he was at the time) moved from our one bedroom flat into our three bedroom house and we didn't have much to go into. Throw into the mix the fact that the flat was furnished and we had a problem in that we had a big fat house with so many extra rooms and no stuff to put into it. Cue a trip to the flat pack king of the world (Argos) which is where we also stumbled across this double divan for a very reasonable price. We should have seen the warning signs then and realised that if it looks too cheap, then it probably is cheap. Actually, that is perhaps a little unfair because the bed is not all that bad and it is cheap, but it isn't particularly comfortable.

Well the first thing that drew us to it was the price. I think we paid less than £250 for it, which is incredibly cheap in the world of divans, beds and mattresses. In fact we have since found that double that price is about the price of an average mattress, so it is remarkably cheap. For that price, you get a divan base and a mattress, which means it is pretty good value for money too.

The second reason we picked this particular bed is that we wanted a divan base. We love the fact that it has plenty of space for storage in it. The base is completely hollow which means there is loads of room to store things. Also there is a sliding door at the foot of the base which means it is really easy to get stuff in and out.

It is really cheap and so not the best quality to be honest. The mattress is not the most uncomfortable thing on the planet - we bought a new mattress for it pretty soon after we got it. It's OK to use as a spare bedroom mattress because it is good enough for one night.

The cheapness doesn't extend to the actual base, which seems sturdy enough and has lasted the eight years we have had it and is still going strong, but it does extend to the door at the end which is a cheap and nasty cardboard affair.

Recommended if you need something cheap.

22.07.2015 22:45

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
      • "Works well"

Great, light moisturiser

When I was pregnant, people struggled with what to buy me for Christmas and for my birthday - alcohol was out, clothes were out, the list was endless. Which was why I ended up with so much body stuff. I didn't mind too much though because I ended up with some really nice stuff, one of my favourite things being the Righteous Butter body butter by Soap and Glory.

The thing that I like most about this body butter is the smell. It is a really nice smell that is not at all overpowering, so you don't get fed up of it during the day. It is really fresh and light and smells like summer. It is really nice and I wish they did it I. Perfume for. To be honest, because it is just the kind of scent I like.

The second thing I like about this product is the texture, it is really light - almost mousse like in texture, rather than being a super thick butter. This doesn't make it any less effective though because it moisturises really well. It is nice and luxurious feeling on my skin so I feel like I have really put something nice on. The mousse like texture means that it is really easy to apply NAND also that it rubs in really well and doesn't leave your skin feeling all craggy and over moisturised.

It works well as an all over moisturiser and is even gentle enough to use on your face, which I do regularly.

Overall I would say this is a great product and I would really recommend it because it genuinely good and worth the money - go on, spoil yourself!

• Nivea Sun Tan Cream / Sun Care / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      01.07.2015 23:38

Advantages

• Works
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Excellent Sun Protection Range

I am not really brand loyal when it comes to sun cream - since it is a generally very expensive product, I tend to go with what is on offer. The one that I seem to go to most often though is the range from Nivea, which i actually think is a very good all round product.

The particular lotion I buy comes in the spray bottles and it is this that would make me buy the brand time and again. The sprays are very easy to use with a quick free moving pump action which is great because it means you can use it easily even when you have a hand full of sun cream, which I inevitably do. the spray nozzle is easy to clean as well, which makes it last longer.

The cream itself is easy to rub it and easy to get good cover with and I have never burnt when I have used it according to the instructions, which is brilliant. I like that it comes in a variety of different factors in both spray pump bottles and squirts bottles, which contain a slightly thicker creamy type product as opposed to the milkier type stuff you get in the sprays.

They do a range which is suitable for children as well which is particularly good because it comes in higher factors (30 to 50) and it comes in a version that is green until it soaks in so that you can see where you have out it and whether or not it has soaked in properly.

The lotion isn't cheap, but at around the eight pound mark, it isn't the most expensive on the market either. That said, it is more often than not on offer so that you can get a bottle for about £5, which I would say is very good value for money.

01.07.2015 23:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

Basic and budget

The title of this product pretty much sums it up for me - it is a value set top box. There are absolutely no frills to it and it doesn't cost a lot. It would make for a great entry level set top box, but is no good for people who want a lot of fancy gadgets and buttons.

Aesthetically it is probably one of the simpler ones out there, but that is not necessarily a bad thing - you can't go wrong with it because it isn't offensive in any way. It is a rectangular thin box and is entirely black so will go anywhere.

The signal that you get from it depends on your TV really and the area you live in. It has always been ok for us although the signal is easily interrupted in bad weather.

The remote control on it is pretty lousy - very cheap and nasty looking and quite temperamental it is absolutely no good for people who can't handle fiddly things, because the buttons are very small and not that sensitive, which means they need a fairly hefty push.

The menu screens follow the same theme as everything else on this set top box in that they are very simple. There is an annoyance here with the box as the machine is a little slow to react to button presses, which is annoying because if you do a few presses in succession, the couple of seconds delay can sometimes mean that it doesn't register every press.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product really unless you want something really entry level and cheap and cheerful. It is basic but it only just about does the job - you are probably better stretching the budget a bit further for something better - wes certainly did not long after buying this one.

• Zeta Vooom Stroller / Pushchair & Pram / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      20.06.2015 13:45

Advantages

• "Nice colour"
      • Sturdy
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Excellent Budget Buggy

We bought this push hair to take on holiday. We have a travel system already, but we didn't want to risk getting it damaged whilst transporting it on a plane and also it is a bit chunky to travel around with. We thought it would be better to get a cheaper, more flexible one to take away so that we could have peace of mind. We bought this one for around forty pounds from amazon.co.uk and this price included delivery.

We really like. The push chair and it is pretty good quality, especially for the price that we paid. We were first drawn to it by the fact that it is available in a variety of different colours and we went for the lighter blue one for our little boy, which is a really nice colour.

Our little boy is only three months old, so we wanted one that was suitable from birth, which this one is because of the adjustable seat height. It goes almost flat, which is perfect for him, but it also goes to almost sitting upright, which means it will be good for a few years, making it good value for money in terms of how long we can use it for.

It seems to be comfortable because our son had no problems sleeping in it when we went for walks and things on holiday, which is great.

It is very easy to put up and down and it feels like it is pretty good quality, which is excellent and means that it will probably withstand a few years of being carted around the world - perfect!

I would definitely recommend it for both day to day use and for taking on holiday - great product and great value.

20.06.2015 12:32

Advantages

• "lots of colours"
      • cheap

Disadvantages

• basic

cheap and cheerful watch

I have loads of these watches. I bought them when they had their moment of glory and were being endorsed by celebrities (including Rhiana and a certain Mr Bieber no less) left, right and centre a few years ago. I didn't buy them for the celebrity endorsements, but more because they are cheap and cheerful.

They come in pots of different colours but this pink one is one of my favourites because it is such a nice coral colour rather than being too girly or illuminous. It is quite dark and goes well with lots of things.

The watch is simple and just has the digital time displayed on it. This makes it suitable for children. It comes in various sizes from extra large down to extra small, the latter of which is perfect for small hands.

It simply slides over the wrist, as it is made from stretchy rubber material. This means that it is very comfortable and so i use it for doing sports and exercise because it doesn't make my wrists sweaty.

I also think they are perfect for on holiday for wearing on the beach because i don't mind leaving it with my towel and stuff whilst i go in the sea because it is easy to hide and not valuable so it won't get stolen!

The Breo Roam watches cost ten pounds each when they came out, which was pretty good value for money. If you have a quick look on the Internet, you can find them for half of that and even less now, which makes them exceptionally good value for money.

I would definitely recommend the watches because they are cheap and cheerful and this one is a particularly nice colour.