dkm1981

• Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

User that trust you
      17.06.2014 00:27

Advantages

• "Looks better on than in pictures"
      • Blingy

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • Blingy

Blingy Watch But Not For Me

I have got to admit that this watch is not really my cup of tea because it is so blingy. I actually won it at work (pretty good prize actually), but I wouldn''t have chosen it for myself if I am being honest. Having said that, it is not the worst watch in the world, especially if you are into bling, without completely breaking the bank. The watch has a rhodium plated case and bracelet which is adorned with 579 Swarovski crystals and a mother of pearl face. It does look quite nice and it is much nicer on your wrist than it is in any picture. It is definitely a night time watch for when you are going out and I would certainly say it is not really suitable for every day wear. But it would look good with diamond or diamante jewellery on a night out. The thing I like about the watch is that it is small. I have very thin wrists and I often find that watches just look ridiculous on them because they are far too big. This is not the case with this one at all. I''d say that the face is about one and a half centimetres in diameter and the strap about a centimetre, maybe a little bit bigger but not much. It fits perfectly on small wrists but would stand out enough on bigger wrists that it would look odd. The watch costs about 120GBP although you can get it for less online and in duty free if you look hard enough. I would say that this is probably good value for money really because it is well made. I have had mine for over a year and it still looks exactly the same as when I got it and none of the crystals have fallen out. Overall I have given the watch three out of five because it is a nice watch, it is just not really the watch for me.

11.06.2014 11:19

Advantages

• Turtles
      • Beautiful

Disadvantages

• Windy

Turtle Beach - Beautiful and Worth a Visit

Getting there from Dalyan is easy because you can either get the Dolmus bus or the public boat, both of which are easy to find in the town. Both cost about a pound each way and I would recommend getting one one way and the other back, especially if you fancy a walk along the beach at the other end. They both drop off at opposite ends of the beach from each other though, so if you don't want the walk, then make sure you get a return ticket. In both cases you have to wait for them to fill up before they set off, but they generally go once every hour for the boat and once every half hour for the bus. The bus is smaller so fills up quicker, but if you get the boat bat, it tends to fill up much quicker at the other end. There is also the option of renting a private boat for the day but that is more expensive if there aren't many of you. We recently got back from a week in Dalyan, Turkey and during our stay we visited Itzuzu beach, which is more affectionately known as Turtle Beach, thanks to the loggerhead and green turtles that nest there. The beach is well worth a visit if you are in the area because it really is beautiful and there is plenty to do when you get there.

When you get there, you'll find a cafe, toilets, showers and sunbeds at either end of the beach. The prices aren't the cheapest in the cafe because they have a captive audience, but you can get sandwiches, burgers, chips and so on. At the bus end of the beach is where you'll find the Turtle hospital, which is well worth a visit. It is free to enter although they do ask for a donation and one of the guides there (who are mainly university students volunteering) will talk to you about the turtles and answer any questions. Like I said, well worth going into.

The views from the beach are absolutely outstanding. I thought it looked like somewhere in the Caribbean actually and half expected one of the pirate ships from Pirates of the Caribbean to come around the corner at any moment. Because it is a cove, it can get windy, but walking down the beach from one end to the other takes about an hour and is well worth it because it is so peaceful and beautiful.

Overall definitely recommended.

10.06.2014 13:00

Advantages

• "Makes makeup last"
        • "Super soft"

Smashbox Primer - Excellent

I am new to the primer world. I was using Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, but found that it wasn't doing my skin any favours after a while, so I thought I would try this one by Smashbox that comes complete with rave reviews all over the internet. It seems that this is with good reason. The 30ml bottle costs twenty five pounds directly from the Smashbox website at the time of writing this review, although it is available in other places online for slightly less if you have the patience to look. I would definitely recommend the primer because I genuinely think it does an excellent job and that it is very good value for money. It may seem expensive on the face of it because it is a small bottle and it is pricey, but you only need to use a tiny amount each time because a little goes a long way. I have found that it really does make my make up stay on much longer too, which means I don't need to reapply it through the day (thus saving more money in the long term.) The cream is easy to get out of the squeezy bottle and you don't end up getting too much out at once because it is easily regulated thanks to the tiny hole in the top. The primer is not at all oily, although I would recommend giving it a quick shake before use, especially the first time when the primer seems to separate due to not being used. I think the cream works wonders as well even if you are not putting makeup over the top because it really does give you silky smooth skin, which you can feel as soon as you apply it. Also I do think it helps reduce the appearance of fine lines (only fine ones though to be fair) because it seems to fill them in straight away. Absolutely recommend as a good value beauty essential.

09.06.2014 20:58

Advantages

• "Nice Gloss"

Disadvantages

A Good Lip Gloss From Benefit

This is another of the products that I got in a Benefit gift set that I got for my birthday a couple of months ago. I am a big fan of Benefit make up and I love all the quirky products that they sell. I don't generally wear a lot of lip gloss because I tend to prefer wearing lip balm when I don't have to wear make up for work. However I do make an exception for this one because it is quite good.

This is a really nice lip gloss that is apparently a shimmering pinky nude colour. It is just the perfect gloss for having that nude look but still having a bit of glamour to it. The shimmer in it is visible but subtle and gives you lips a little bit of sparkle that is not too much for daytime use but that would look good over a bold coloured lipstick in the evening.

The tube that I got in my set is 6.5 ml, which is just over a third of the size of a full sized tube but it does last quite a while I find because you don't need that much of it. So if you get a full sized one I think it will last a good while, making it pretty decent value for money.

It is a nice thick gloss so you can tell straight away that it makes your lips feel smooth and moist. The hole in the top of the tube is tiny, which makes it really easy to regulate how much of it comes out at once. I find that it looks really good when you use it over the top of the Benetint lip stain and that using it like this also seems to make it stay on my lips better. The two products complement each other really well because the Benetint gives the gloss the staying power and the gloss moisturises your lips when the stain has dried them up a bit.

The gloss is available directly from the Benefit website for just under fifteen pounds, although you will need to pay postage on this if you don't order over a certain amount. You can get it in places like Debenhams for the same price. I would recommend it because it is a nice lip gloss and is fairly good value for money.

• Benefit Sugarbomb / Make Up / 13 Readings / 12 Ratings
          09.06.2014 11:16

Advantages

• "Lovely Brush"
          • "Nice Colour"

Disadvantages

• "Not cheap"
          • "Not easy to get individual colours"

Benefit Sugarbomb For Your Cheeks

I got this Benefit blusher product in a gift set that I got for my birthday a couple of months ago and I really like it. Although it isn't the cheapest product on the market, it is a good one and I would recommend it.

I really like this one because it is such a natural coloured face powder mainly thanks to the fact that there are four different colours that you swirl together. The colours are soft plum, rose, peach and pink which means that it will suit practically all skin tones and won't be too dark or light for anyone. I generally have quite dark skin and I find that it is perfect for me to give that little bit of a bronzed look without being over the top and garish.

You get a mini brush with this too in the pack and it is not one of those horrible scratchy ones, rather it is lovely and soft and fits into the little powder compartments perfectly so you can easily get all of the colours onto the brush evenly.

On the pack it gives you the tip ?for an extra pop of colour that lasts all day, sweep sugarbomb powder over benetint and high beam'. I find that this really does work and that it makes the powder stay on your face for a lot longer than if you don't apply it this way.

The only problem with this is that you can't really get a bit of just one colour if that is what you fancy. The powder comes in one square cut into four triangles, on of each colour, but there are a bit too small to be able to get just one colour, especially with the brush that is provided. Apparently this isn't a big issue because this is (according to the Benefit website) the number one selling face powder in the UK which is praise indeed. Recommended.

• Benefit Benetint / Make Up / 8 Readings / 7 Ratings
          09.06.2014 10:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

Benetint - Giving You A Rosy Look!

I am a big fan of Benefit makeup because I think it is good stuff and often quite quirky. I got this Benetint, which is one of Benefit's most popular products as part of the Sugarlicious gift set that I got for my birthday.

To be honest I am still a bit unsure about it. I can tell that it is a good quality product, but I am just not sure if it is the product for me. I prefer a bronze look rather than rosy cheeks, which is exactly what this stain gives you. Don't worry though it is not a bright colour that makes you look like a clown, more of a pinched look I would say. When you apply it I would recommend applying it little by little so you don't go too far and run it in straight away or you'll get red stripes on your cheeks.

I tend to use it more often on my lips because it seems to accentuate the colour of them rather than staining them so much that you look like you have got a vampire pout! I find though that it really dries my lips out (something that I am prone to anyway) so I have to add lots of lip balm over the top. This is not necessary a problem though because I find that the two combined give my lips and nice shiny, pink and, most important, natural look.

It costs twenty four pounds and fifty pence on the Benefit website at the moment and I personally think that is a bit steep, even though it does last for ages. I won't be buying it again, but that is mainly because I like bronze products rather than rosy ones. If you prefer the latter, then Benetint would probably be perfect for you.

07.06.2014 09:16

Advantages

• "Big bottle"
          • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not long lasting"

Too Summery To Be Unisex!

Calvin Klein bring out one of these fragrances every summer and the only thing that changes about them, as far as I can tell, is the bottles. This year the bottle is green; still the same size, still the same bottle, but the colour is different. I am pretty sure that the scent inside is the same as well.

The bottle is 100ml as it always is so you are getting a lot for your money because this is one of the cheaper fragrances available (usually retailing at around the 30 pound mark). It is only an eau de toilette, rather than an eau de parfum though, so it doesn't last very long in terms of strength once you have applied it. I find that it lasts a couple of hours at most on me before I need to reapply it because I can't really smell it anymore. To be fair though, you do get a 100ml bottle for 30 pounds max, so you can't complain too much!

As for the smell, it is a very summery smell in that it is light and refreshing. Top notes of frozen lime, grapefruit and melon mean that it is lovely and light on a summer's day. Base notes of coconut water and cedar wood give it a bit more substance and stop you from smelling like a fruit salad whilst flowery heart notes bring it all together nicely. Personally for me it is still a bit too citrussy and after a while gets too much - so it is probably a good thing that it fades so quickly.

It is definitely a day time fragrance and is suitable for younger people I would imagine. It is a very girly scent even though I believe that these CK Summer fragrances are supposed to be unisex. (Believe me, no self respecting man would want to wear this!).

05.06.2014 21:03

Advantages

• "Lasts Well"
          • "Light Fresh Scent"

Disadvantages

• "Not Cheap"

Daisy Eau So Fresh Is Indeed Fresh!

I am a big fan of light and fresh perfumes so I thought that one that actually had fresh in the name would be perfect for me and it turns out that I was right because I really like this latest perfume from Marc Jacobs. This perfume from Marc Jacobs is a really nice one, especially for summer, because it is light and fruity without being too overpowering. I am a big fan of fresh and light fragrances, which is exactly what this is. If you like things like Cool Water by Davidoff and L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake, I imagine that you will also like this one. It has top notes of citrus fruits although it has flowery bottom notes, which stop you from smelling like a fruit cocktail when you have it on. I have found that it lasts well in that I can still smell it on myself at the end of the day if I have sprayed it in the morning. Having said that, it is not one of those fragrances that just hangs around because it is far too strong. It is a perfect fragrance for summer, especially during the day, although it is strong enough that it is suitable for evening wear too. The bottle, as with all Marc Jacobs fragrances, has a collectible lid. This ions has pink and white daisies on and is really pretty. the only bad thing I have to say about this fragrance is that it is not cheap. Costing upwards of fifty pounds for the seventy five ml bottle that I have, it would probably be worth seeking it out in the duty free shop at the airport if you are going on holiday soon! I do think it is pretty good value for money though, nonetheless, because it has got staying power, you don't need much of it, it comes in a funky bottle and the smell is really nice. Recommended.

13.05.2014 21:52

Advantages

• "Lasts well"
            • "Lovely smell"

Disadvantages

• "Not cheap"

Marc Jacobs Eau So Fresh is Exactly That!

13.05.2014 10:37

Advantages

• "Summer smell"
              • "Good Value"
              • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Long Lasting"

CK Summer -Good Size, Nice Scent, Not Long Lasting

Calvin Klein bring out on of these fragrances every summer and the only thing that changes about them as far as I can tell is the bottles. This year the bottle is green - still the same size, still the same shape, but a different colour. I am pretty sure that the scent inside is the same too.

• Despicable Me: Minion Rush / Apps / 12 Readings / 11 Ratings
                10.05.2014 12:45

Advantages

• Fun

Minion Rush - Listen Up Minions

I love the Despicable Me films, particularly the little yellow Minions and if you do too, you'll love this game which is free to download and is a whole lot of fun. There are lots of good things about the game. The first is that is doesn't shy away from what makes it famous, nor is it ashamed to carbon copy it. My belief is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it and they seem to have followed that mantra with this game. There is a reason why the films were so popular and it is the reason why the game is now so popular too; everything is the same. The characters, the locations, the music and the sound effects are all what you see and hear in the film. They haven't tried to be clever or to make things too complicated. They have created a very simple game but put in loveable characters, bright images and loud noises to make it addictive. Another thing about the game that I like is the fact that it is constantly being upgraded and new things are regularly added to it. When I first started playing the game maybe a year ago, there were only two levels. The fact that there are now seven I think is pretty good and pretty steady progress. The game is easy to navigate and there are lots of little menus to help you along the way. You can also play the game continually ? you don't have to wait a certain amount of time for lives to regenerate or ask people to send you lives or whatever. You just switch the game on, watch the funny little video and then you are free to play for all of eternity if you so choose.

One of the best things about the game though is that there are no adverts which is brilliant as far as I am concerned because I have had so many games ruined by intrusive adverts right in the middle of them. Not a problem at all with this one, I am pleased to report.

09.05.2014 21:56

Advantages

• "A little goes a long way"
                • Smell

Disadvantages

• Price

Clarins Moisture Rich Body Lotion - Smells Amazing!

One of the things that I like about this product is that a little goes a long way and the amount that you use is easily regulated thanks to the tiny hole in the top of the easy to use squeezy tube. The moisturiser is an all over body lotion that is especially good for dry to very dry skin, which is brilliant for me. The consistency of the moisturiser is a milk type cream, which surprised me a little because I was expecting it to be a bit thicker. My absolute favourite thing about this moisturiser is the scent, which is just gorgeous; there is no other word for it. It has a really, really fresh smell that reminds me of summer and hot days by the beach. It contains peach milk, candlenut oil, shea butter and orange blossom, which all combine beautiful to give it a nice light smell, which is almost like an aqua scent. There are obviously underlying citric tones, which mean that it doesn't smell too sweet. It is not a really heavy scent either so it doesn't get too much when you cover your body in it. I find that my skin feels really soft as well almost instantly when I put it on. It absorbs really well, although I will say that it works much better when you are putting it on warm skin, so best to use it straight after showering for the best results. My skin feels really soft after I have applied it - almost like I have put one of these creams that you put on before applying make up to make it last longer and to smoothen out creases and lines ? that is how effective this moisturiser is as soon as you put it on.

• Sekonda 4711 / Watch / 19 Readings / 18 Ratings
                  08.05.2014 22:31

Advantages

• Cheapish
                  • Pretty
                  • Glitzy

Disadvantages

• "Not for everyday wear"

A Lovely Sparkly Watch!

I bought this watch a while ago because I wanted something for going out in that had a bit of bling, which this certainly does! ! It is quite a pretty watch and is available in lots of different colours. I have the plain white one. This means that the crystals in it are all clear or white so it is quite a versatile watch in that it goes with any going out outfit. It is a bit blingy for everyday wear, but it is perfect to add a bit of glamour to a night out. It is very sparkly and catches light quite a bit to make it catch people's eyes.

The watch is fairly easily adjusted by the drawstring straps that are a bit like those ones that you get on friendship bracelets. I find it easier to get hubby to help me though because it can be a bit fiddly trying to get it tight enough with just one hand.

The watch is obviously good quality and you can see that it is well made from the first glance. I have had the watch over a year now and it still looks like it did when I got it. I am always a bit wary about anything with crystals in because they have a tendency to fall out, but this hasn't been the case with this watch at all - all of the crystals are still intact, which I am very pleased with.

18.03.2014 10:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

All worth a visit if you are in Atlanta

Here are some of my favourite attractions in Atlanta, USA . . .

-Piedmont Park-

We visited Piedmont Park after having a walk down Peachtree Street in Atlanta. It is easily accessible from there and clearly signposted from the street so you'll have no problems finding it, although it is downhill so bear in mind that you'll have to walk back up the hill afterwards! it was actually recommended by our guidebook as a place to visit and I'd recommend it too as it is a lovely large green space in the city.

You can walk around all the areas of the park easily enough although we decided to be proper tourists and rent a tandem bike to explore. There is a place right outside the park gates called Skate Escape where you can rent skates and bikes by the hour and day for a reasonable price. You need need photo ID (preferably a passport) to be able to rent anything though. Bikes are $6 per hour and tandems $12 per hour.

We loved cycling around and it is really easy to do because the pavements and paths through the park are nice and wide so there is plenty of room for everybody. There are lots of huge fields where you can play sports and there are a few nice little play areas and things for the kids. They have thought of everyone (well everything actually) at Piedmont park as there are also two areas that are gated off for dogs to play in (one for big dogs and one for little ones) complete with playground type things for them to explore and waste disposal units. We thought this was particularly good because it meant that there wasn't any dog mess anywhere else in the park. The park was indeed extremely clean and clearly well maintained which was nice and so it made for a very pleasant place to spend the afternoon. Definitely recommended.

-Zoo Atlanta-

I don't generally go to a lot of zoos, but when we were in the states, there was a lot of talk about Zoo Atlanta because of their brand new panda babies. Like many others, I couldn't resist and so we visited at the end of our Deep South road trip. I'm glad we went because the zoo is a nice one that is well laid out and just enough exhibits that you can see everything you want without overdoing it.

We went on a weekend and although it was busy, we didn't feel like it was overcrowded which was nice. The exhibits are nice and big so there are actually lots of different viewing platforms and areas for each exhibit. They have all the big hitters here including lions and tigers. Our favourite enclosures wwere the massive gorilla and orang utan ones. They have quite a few gorillas (including a couple of babies) and it is fascinating to stand and watch them either from the inside viewing area or the many outdoor ones. Unfortunately we didn't actually get to see the panda babies because they were too young to be out in public view but there s a pandacam where you can see them and the older ones are out so you can see them.

Something we liked about the zoo was the amount of educational information that was available all the way around. The signs all the way around are interesting and brightly coloured so they'll appeal to all ages and there are lots of question flip cards so you can test your knowledge.

There are plenty of places to get some food and, as you'd expect, the prices aren't cheap. I was surprised actually to find that the gift shop prices weren't too high though in comparison. The entry tickets were what you'd expect, but I'd say that the zoo is worth the money. Recommended.

-Centennial Olympic Park-

The Olympic Park, as you might have guessed by the name, is the legacy left by the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta Georgia and is a lovely place to go and relax in the middle of the city. If you are visiting any of the city's main attractions, such as the Aquarium, The World of Coca Cola and the CCN Centre, you'll not miss the park because it is right there in the thick of the action, offering a bit of calm in amongst the artificial lights and queues that come with the other sights.

We spent a lot of time in the park, either walking through it or sitting and eating lunch, and it is a perfect place to do both on a lovely day. There are lots of little different areas within the park and most of them have something interesting to look at. We particularly enjoyed the stones that listed all the winners in the games and the canopy of national flags. There is a nice little rock garden and water feature that has bridges and so on so will provide a bit of adventure for the kids and there are a couple of nice big grassy areas for ball games.

There is a little cafe near the entrance of the park and there are lots of seating areas if you have your own food. There is a bandstand where up and coming musicians come and play for people whilst they are enjoying the sun which we loved. The best thing about the park though is the interactive fountains which are shaped like the five Olympic rings and dance to music and lights at night. During the day you are free to play in them which lots of people did during the whether.

The park felt completely safe at all times of the day and evening. It is very clean and well maintained and it is free to enter. Definitely recommended.

So this just proves there is plenty to do and it doesn't have to cost the earth.

17.03.2014 10:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Worth a visit

One of the things you should absolutely do when you are in Atlanta is visit the Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site. The man himself spent much of his life in Atlanta which was actually his birthplace and where he followed in his father's footsteps by becoming preacher at the Ebeneezer church.

The complex includes lots of interesting areas and the whole thing comprises to give you a good insight into the man behind the legend. I have to admit that I knew shamefully little about Martin Luther King Jr before I visited, but I found everything about the site fascinating and well presented. I didn't think it was too over bearing especially for a novice like myself.

I particularly enjoyed wandering around the visitor's centre where there is a sort of timeline of events that King was involved in and I was amazed to see just how many times he was arrested throughout his life. There is also an exhibit in there on both Rosa Parks and Ghandi who were both involved with King at some point. You can also see his Nobel prize, which I thought was a bit underwhelming actually!

Outside the visitor centre you can see the tombs of King and his wife in the rather calming reflective pool. Down the road you can see the house where he was born and in the other direction the church were he was minister.

In all, the site is well worth a visit. Definitely recommended.