dkm1981

dkm1981
  • Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

29.03.2015 23:26

Advantages

• Different
      • Tasty

Disadvantages

• "Not Cheap"

Tasty Fruity Yoghurts

Every year after Christmas, I start the old fad diet or exercise regime with gusto. I have since realised that eating less and moving more is the best method to getting fitter and losing weight. That's not to say that all these diets haven't introduced me to some good things, one of which is these desert yoghurts from Weight Watchers. They are available in four packs and really are quite good.

The flavours in the pack are strawberry cheesecake, lemon tart, toffee apple tart and raspberry tart and they are all very nice. My favourite is the toffee apple which has nice refreshing chunks of real apple in it. in fact they all have chunks of fruit in them apart from the lemon which is hubby's favourite because it is nice and tangy.

The yoghurts each only have 60 calories in them which is fantastic if you are on a calorie controlled diet. They are nice and thick as well so they are filling which means the calories are even better. I use them to top a bowl of fresh fruit, which is lovely because they compliment a bowl of fruit nicely.

The yoghurts are priced at £1.59 for the four, which is actually quite expensive for yoghurts. Having said that, they are usually on offer in all of the main supermarkets for two for two pounds, which is not too bad really.

Overall I would say that they are good value and I would recommend them without a doubt. They are tasty, filling and quite luxurious.

• Cadbury Creme Egg / Chocolate / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      29.03.2015 23:13

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Tasty

Disadvantages

• "Only available until April"

Taste Better Than Before

I was never a big fan of Cadbury's Creme Eggs because I thought they were just too sweet and sickly. But, with the reason controversy surrounding them, I felt obliged to test the water and see what all the fuss was about. I am not sure whether this was a real thing or a stroke of marketing genius to bring everyone's attention to the eggs which are only available in the run up until Easter.

The result of my dalliance into the Creme Egg world is that I am totally addicted to them now! Now whether or not that has something to do with the fact that I am nine weeks pregnant is yet to be seen, but for the time being, I can't seem to stop myself from eating them.

The eggs weigh 40 grams and are made up of a chocolate shell filled with yellow and white 'goo'. The controversy was that the chocolate shell is not actually Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate, but I don't think they are any worse for that. The filling is a sort of sugary fondant filling that is really quite tasty and I think this is where the difference is from its former incarnation. The whole combination is just not as sickly and sweet as it used to be.

The eggs are available for all manner of prices depending where you get them from. The cheapest seems to be 50 pence each or three for £1 from the main supermarkets. For that price I'd say they are definitely worth it and you should get yourself some before they stop selling them in April.

• Ted Baker Body Lotion / Body Care / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      29.03.2015 22:36

Advantages

• "Nice and thick"
      • "Smells lovely"

Disadvantages

• "Not Cheap"

Lovely Luxurious Lotion

At Christmas I was six months pregnant and so I got an awful lot of lotions and potions from Santa Claus. I am a big fan of Ted Baker products so I was more than happy to find a selection of his bath and body products in my selection. One of the items was this Butterfly Wings Body Lotion.

The Butterfly Wings is simply a reference to the pattern that appears on the packaging and I actually think that the contents inside are the same as the other ones in the other ranges like Regency and so on - I suspect that the patterns on the outside are just a gimmick to be honest.

That's not to say that I am disappointed because I am not. I really like the fragrance of this product and am happy to buy them all in different shapes and sizes if they are the same inside. The smell is really lovely. It is both fruity and flowery in equal measures so that neither scent type is overpowering. It is really well balanced and smells light. It is a scent that would suit people of all ages and one that would be really nice in summer although can be carried over to winter happily.

The moisturiser itself is actually very good. It is quite a thick lotion so it feels really luxurious when you put it on. I find it is best to rub it in your hands a bit first to make it easier to apply. I also find the bottle is great for making sure that you don't squirt out too much at once, so that you don't wast it.

The body lotion is available in Boots for £.250 for a small 50 ml bottle which isn't cheap, but I think it is such a nice all round product that this still represents good value for money and I would recommend it.

29.03.2015 22:26

Advantages

• Luxurious
      • "Smells Nice"

Disadvantages

• "Not The Cheapest"

Lovely Product

At Christmas I was six months pregnant and so I got an awful lot of lotions and potions from Santa Claus. I am a big fan of Ted Baker products so I was more than happy to find a selection of his bath and body products in my selection. One of the items was this Butterfly Wings Body Wash.

The Butterfly Wings bit is just a reference to the pattern on the outside of the bottles of the range and has no connection to the product inside! The body wash smells absolutely divine and that is the thing that I like most about it. It smells very light and fruity but not overpowering in any way at all. it makes the bathroom smell lovely when I am using it.

The wash lathers up nicely although I would strongly recommend one of those pouf things (I got one in the set) because it really makes it lather up wonderfully. The wash is nice and luxurious especially when it lathers up so much.

I have quite dry skin, especially after I have come out of the shower and whilst this doesn't take away the dryness, I do find that my skin isn't as bad, which is really nice actually.

It is currently available in Boots for £2.50 for a quite small 50 ml bottle, which isn't cheap, but a little goes a long way, so I would say that it is still good value for money. I would definitely recommend this product as it is good quality and smells nice. If you can get it in a set it also makes a great gift.

• Tesco Value Toothbrush / Oral Care / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      29.03.2015 21:39

Advantages

• " cheap"
      • " cheap"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Big head"

Not For Me, But Hubby Likes Them

My husband goes through toothbrushes at an incredible rate (I'm talking one every fortnight) mainly because he presses on far too hard when he is brushing, but that is a whole other argument. Anyway, as a result I am very reluctant to spend very mcuh at all on his toothbrushes, which is how I ended up buying these toothbrushes from the Tesco Value range. They cost just 18p for a pack of two, which is insanely cheap, but are they any good?

They aren't bad actually. Hubby likes them. They are a medium firmness which means they last longer than the other cheap brands he has tried in the past. It also means that he feels like they are cleaning his teeth properly because the bristles are not too soft. The plastic in them has rounded ends as well which protects your gums and means that it is smoother in your mouth. The ones in the picture here are both white, but the packs now come with two colours in one pack; either one red and one green or one blue and one yellow. This means it is much easier obviously to decipher whose is whose if you have more than one person in the house using them.

Having said all that, they aren't perfect. I am not a big fan of them because the head of the brush is quite big, which means that I think they are quite uncomfortable to use. There is no give in them for me either which adds to the discomfort.

Overall I would give them three stars because if you like this size and firmness, then you can't go wrong at just nine pence per brush, but they aren't for me. I still buy them for hubby!

• Tesco Value Mouthwash / Oral Care / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      29.03.2015 21:28

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Tastes Nice"

Disadvantages

• "Not very strong"
      • "Very sweet"
      • "Doesn't last long"

Cheap is not cheerful

I generally buy Tesco own brand mouthwash because I honestly can't see the point in paying more than twice the price for a branded version that does the same job. This is not the one I usually buy, I buy the more expensive one (by that I mean that it is 65 pence) but a couple of weeks ago they were out of stock so I decided to go for the value range one which is 50 pence. You wouldn't have thought that there could be much difference for fifteen pence, but there is!

The smell of this one from the bottle is quite nice - it is more of a fresh mint smell that a stronger one, but it is pleasant and actually the taste is quite nice too. It tastes a bit like soft mints and is not at all unpleasant.

I am afraid that is where the positives end though. This is such a sweet mouth wash that it actually feels like you need to clean your teeth again after using it. It feels like it has actually somehow coated your teeth in sugar which is not good at all. The flavour, although I said it was nice, doesn't last very long at all. I would say that the taste of it has worn off within ten or fifteen minutes of using it. An indication of how weak it is, is that I find I can drink a juice after using it and it doesn't change the flavour of the drink, which you wouldn't get if it was remotely strong.

So, whilst it is very cheap at 5o pence for a 500ml bottle, it isn't worth it and I would absolutely recommend paying the extra fifteen pence for the next one up in the range.

29.03.2015 21:08

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Colour Gets Dirty"

Good, But Not In White

Breo Roam watches were one of those overnight sensations a while ago that came out of a few megastar type celebrities wearing them. One day no one had heard of them, the next everybody was wearing one and I am kind of ashamed to say that I was one of those people. In my defence, I got them cheap at work and because I wanted them for a specific purpose rather than because some actor or pop star was wearing it!

The thing that I like most about this watch is the fact that it is really simple and it is perfect for wearing when you are going for a run or (as is the reason why I wanted it) you are at the beach on holiday. I like to have a watch with me when I am on the beach, but because I like to go for walks and dip in and out of the sea, I don't want an expensive one that I could lose or might get damaged. That's why this is the perfect watch - when it first came out it was £10 but now, or at least at the time of writing this review, you can get them for as little as £3 online. Bargain.

The watch is simple and has no functions other than to tell the time digitally, whih might make it suitable for children as well. It is available in four sizes (small, medium, large and extra large). Mine is a small because I have tiny hands and wrists, but it is made of stretchy rubber material so they stretch a bit to get them over your hand.

The watches aren't perfect though because whilst they are supposed to be water resistant, I know a lot of people have had problems with this because they have had condensation form when they wear the watch in the shower. This suggests that the water resistance isn't that good but I can't confirm this because I take mine off in water.

The other problem I have with this watch (and it is specific to this colour because I have the watch in other colours and it hasn't done the same thing) and that is that it gets dirty very quickly and it can't really be cleaned, which is a shame.

Overall I would recommend one of these watches as a cheap and easy to use one but I would probably tell you to avoid this particular white one because the colour really doesn't stand the test of time.

24.03.2015 21:48

Advantages

• Light

Disadvantages

• Sweet

A Bit Too Sweet

I got this fragrance as part of a duo pack which also included the DKNY Be Delicious Red. The two fragrances came in separate boxes, which were packed together and each bottle was a fairly small 30 ml. I paid £30 for the pack, which even accounting for the small bottles, I thought was good value. It is not often that you get a bottle of perfume for £15, especially one that is by a designer.

The fragrance comes in a round bottle which is shaped presumably to look like an apple, as is the same with all of the fragrances in the Be Delicious range. It has a silver top with a button on that you press down on to squirt the perfume out. The bottle is nice enough and a little bit unique, but it is not a show stopper that you'll want to have displayed on your dressing table. The button can also be quite hard to press down and I tend to find that I have to use two hands to do so, which is a bit of a pain when you are trying to spray it on your wrists!

Be Delicious has top notes of American Apple, crisp Green Cucumber and sparkling Grapefruit. The middle notes are Magnolia, Tuberose, White Muguet, Rose and Violet. And the base notes are Sandalwood and White Amber. I was surprised to read about so many flowery notes running throughout the fragrance actually because the overwhelming thing that I get from it is apples and not much else. It sort of smells like those rosy apple boiled sweets that you used to get from your local sweet shop. It is indeed very fruity and I really don't get much else from it to be honest.

The staying power of the fragrance seems to be quite good, but maybe that is because I am not all that fond of it so it lingers quite a bit! It is very strong. Overall I would say that it is a good value fragrance, but just not one that I like particularly.

24.03.2015 13:39

Advantages

• cheap
      • small

Disadvantages

• "GPS isn't great"
      • sluggish

Good, Cheap and Basic Phone

I have had this phone for over a year now. I initially picked it because I have had Samsung Galaxy phones for a while and have never had any problems with them. I dislike Apple products with a passion (free iPad not included!) and so there isn't much choice left really. The main selling point for this one for me was its size. I am not a fan of big clunky phones and for me, smaller is better. This one is smaller by far than its relative the S3 and so that sealed the deal and I toddled off with it happy. I've been happy with it ever since for the most part.

The phone has a decent sized screen considering that it is so much smaller than the others on the market. They have used every bit of surface area to make it so, which is good. It means that you can comfortably read messages, surf the internet and even play games on it. The screen colour is bright as well and the touch screen feature is responsive.

The phone doesn't have a massive internal memory, but you can insert a memory card, which is excellent and the main thing that annoys me about Apple products. I have numerous audio books on my memory card and it still runs fine.

I like the predictive text function on the text message section because it is very good. It remembers what you have typed and even allows for one press messaging, which is handy when you are in a rush. The numbers and letters are small, but the predictive text is so good that even if you have fat or clumsy fingers, it gets the right word 90% of the time anyway.

There is not a lot that I don't like about this phone actually. Mine is still running on Jellybean and I haven't updated because I don't think it will be able to handle the upgrade. It is starting to get a bit sluggish, but not so much that it is annoying. I find that the GPS function in navigation is very hit and miss in that it quite often struggles to find my location or randomly puts me somewhere else in the middle of a journey so I have ended up lost a couple of times!

Other than that, I would say that this is a good all round phone that is easy to use and does the main things successfully. It is a cheap phone and, above all, it is not huge. Well worth the money, especially considering it is free on most pay monthly packages.

19.03.2015 16:14

Advantages

• "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't last long"

Surprisingly Nice, But Not Long Lasting

I am almost ashamed to say that I quite like this perfume, which is the first one that the all encompassing pop machine that is One Direction brought out. The fragrance itself is surprisingly nice and not as girly and immature as I thought it would be. It's not perfect though by any stretch of the imagination.

The top notes are pink grapefruit, wild berries, redcurrants.
      The middle notes are jasmine petals, fresh freesia, frangipani.
      The bottom notes are creamy musk, sheer woods, white patchouli.

With those top notes, you'd be forgiven for thinking that you might end up smelling like a fruit salad when you are wearing this, but the fact that they have balanced these out with the sweeter fragrances of flowers and the frangipani (none of which are individually discernible in my opinion) means that it thankfully isn't the case.

Well, first things first and most importantly, the smell. It is a floral fragrance but it is not overpowering because it has a fruity twist to it that makes it nice and light and not at all heavy. I think it makes a perfect daytime or summer fragrance for those people who like something a bit lighter.

The second good thing about this fragrance is the fact that it is so cheap. It has been out for a few years now, but when it first came out it was available for around the £30 mark for a 50ml bottle. At the time of writing this review, Boots have it available for just £14.99 which is exceptionally good value considering that it is an eau de parfum as well.

The bottle could either be a good thing or a terrible thing, depending on your personal opinion. Personally I think it is terrible. It is so girly because it is a pink diamond shaped bottle with a lid that is designed to look like a crown on the top, complete with fake jewels in the form of little crystals.

It doesn't last long, which is surprising considering that it is an eau de parfum. If ind that the smell wears off within a few short hours of spraying it on.

I would recommend it for both a present for a younger person and for a cheap and light scent to have in your handbag, but not for a long lasting scent and not if you really can't stand One Direction or really girly things!

• Abbey National in general / Mortgage / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      15.03.2015 23:46

Advantages

• "Lots of banks"
      • "Good offers"

Disadvantages

• "Don't always get it right"

Good Mortgage Providers

I have had a mortgage with Santander (as they are now known and have been for quite some time) since before the Spanish giant took over and back when they were still known as Abbey National. The mortgage has been as good as we can expect considering that it is such a big part of our monthly outgoings and we have always felt confident in their services and their ability to look after things.

We started on a fixed rate deal way back when and found that the deal was a good one comparatively and that they were a very easy bank to use. We then went onto their variable rate mortgage for a while, which was again seamless and still felt like we were getting a fair deal. During this time they often sent us information about deals we might be interested in, one of which we took them up on and sealed for three years at a fixed rate. A year into this latest deal, they sent us information about another deal that was fixed for three years and was on a better interest rate than the one we were on. They offered us the chance to move to this new deal with no additional fees, which we thought was fantastic as it allowed us to save a whole lot of money and made us pleased to be customers with them. Despite them being a financial institution (and we know how bad they are for thinking about themselves0 we really felt that they were trying to prove that they wanted to keep our custom.

The staff are always excellent whenever we have to deal with them, in that they are always very professional, both in bank and on the phone. We always get the correct paperwork to show any changes and it is easy to understand. I like that there are so many high street banks - so we can always find one when we need one.

The only problem that we have ever had is that when it comes to paying a lump sum off our mortgage, we always want to make it as a capital repayment however three times when we have done this, they have changed the length of the mortgage and the monthly repayments instead. All it takes to fix is a quick phone call, but it is quite annoying when it happens.

Overall, recommended.

• Halifax Bank / Bank / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      15.03.2015 23:30

Advantages

• "Great call centre staff"
      • "Excellent online banking"
      • "Good service"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Halifax - Friendly Banking

I have banked with the Halifax for over twenty years now and I can honestly say that I have never had any problems with them or any reason to complain. Sure it is a bank, so everything they do is in their own interest, and they are always trying to sell me more products, but that is the same for all banks isn't it. Aside from that, they are a pretty good institution and I have never had reason to not trust them with my money.

I have various accounts with them including a current account, a joint account and an ISA, as well as a credit card. One of the things I like about my Halifax accounts is the ultimate reward account, which gives me various useful benefits including free breakdown cover, annual travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and other things. It does work out good value for money, even with the monthly fee. I also get a £5 reward per month on both my current account (in lieu of interest) and my credit card (when I spend £300 on it) which, considering the interest rates at the moment is a nice touch.

The online website is very easy to use and seems to be very secure. It means that I very rarely have to visit the bank proper, which is very convenient and a much better way of banking I think. The help pages online are great too, although I very rarely have reason to use them considering that the online functions are so extensive.

The best thing about Halifax though is the call centres. I have spoken to them a few times over the years and every single person that I have spoken to without fail has been helpful and friendly and faultless. They are always happy to help and are always knowledgeable about the bank and so give you a sense of trust and faith in them.

Definitely recommended. The only reason I have given them four stars at not five is because i don't think any banking institution deserves a full five stars!

• BT Decor 1200 / Telephone / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      15.03.2015 23:05

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not widely available"
      • "Loudspeaker function not great"

Basic Budget Phone

We don't use our phone all that much - in fact the only reason that we have it is for the broadband and the fact that we have a BT package that involves having to make two calls a month in order to avoid paying a £1.50 per month admin charge. It's odd I know, but this is how we come to have this phone. It is a pretty good phone although it isn't perfect. It is white and silver and not all that pretty, but it is easy to use and generally fit for purpose.

In terms of looks it isn't that pretty, but that is probably because there are so many buttons on it, which make it quicker to use because they are short cuts to certain services, for example 1571, the phone menu and secrecy. Whilst they seem to take up a lot of space, it does make it a lot more simple. The buttons are all average sized I would say, but the numbers on them are black against I white button so it could be good for people who struggle to see a little bit, although the buttons aren't big enough for people with bigger sight difficulties.

The handle is lightweight and is very easy to tuck between your shoulder and your ear, which I believe is the standard way of using a phone is it not?! It is a corded phone so it isn't good for wandering freely around the house whilst you are using although the cord is a pretty long one so that you can position it pretty much anywhere in your room, regardless of where your BT box is.

The only problem we have had with the phone is the fact that the hands free option is not that good. There is a button at the bottom of the phone that you can press to get hands free either before or during the call, but we have found that the line goes intermittently quiet and it can be difficult to hear people, which kind of defies the point of the conversation.

The phone isn't widely available any more in its current form, although there are later versions available for around the £20 - £30 mark. This version is however available on ebay for around £15. I'd recommend it at that price as a pretty good budget phone with a few handy functions.

14.03.2015 22:43

Advantages

• Fruity
      • "Long lasting"

Disadvantages

• "Literally smells of apples"

Good for some, just not for me

It does smell quite fresh and light, but very sweet (probably from all those apples) and it is a little bit too much for me personally, I am not a big fan. I think it smells a bit too immature for me really and would be much better suited to a teenager or someone in their early to mid twenties at the most. I would also say that it is a summery fragrance rather than a winter or all year round one because it does put you in mind of fruit salads on warm days.

14.03.2015 14:18

Advantages

• Simple
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Condensation

An OK Cheapo Watch

The Breo Sport Roam watch is one of those bizarre fashion things that seems to appear from nowhere and take the world by storm. I bought one mainly for functionality rather than style and it does the job fairly admirably really - I don't where it all the time but it is good for holidays and sports.

The one I bought is a neon pink one. There are a couple of the colours (such as yellow, green, orange and pink) which are available in normal and neon versions. Personally I think the neon ones are much nicer because the colours are far more striking, rather than being a bit plain.

The watches are very simple. Made of a soft rubber, the strap makes them extremely comfortable - one of the reasons that they are popular amongst sporting types. This is helped by the fact that they only way 10 grams and the strap is only 5mm thick.

They are water resistant up to 3m according to the official specs, but this is where I have my main issue. I haven't actually used mine in water so it is fine but I know that a lot of people have returned theirs because they got condensation in the display and / or stopped working. Many people said that they didn't even wear them in the water but in the shower and it still damaged them, so I'd recommend not using them in the sea, pool or in the shower. If you do by accident though, they come with a year's free warranty.

The display permanently displays the time and date in digital form, making it ideal for youngsters.

The Breo Roam watches come in four sizes: extra small (14cm), small (16cm), medium (17cm) and large (18cm). Large is probably only suitable for adult men because it is indeed large. I have a medium one, but to be honest I'd probably be better with a small one because I do have very small wrists. It really is something you need to try for yourself though because I have seen children needing a medium and adults wanting a small. If you do get a size slightly too big it's not a massive problem though because the watch stretches over your wrist to get it on and so it won't fall off.

I paid £10 for mine. This is probably a little bit less than they are available for in the shops, but in researching for this review, I discovered that they are now just £6 on the Breo official website (www.breo.com). To be honest this is a bargain, despite the issues I mentioned, and they are worth buying at this price.