dkm1981

• Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

• The Body Shop Lip Balms / Lip Care / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      21.11.2014 21:56

Advantages

• "Tub lasts a while"
      • "Great Smells"

Disadvantages

• "Don't moisturise"

Not Good, Body Shop

Last year, hubby and I each filled an advent calendar for the other person and in my calendar, I got three of these Body Shop Born Lippy lip balms. It was such a lovely idea because hubby knows how much I love lip balms in all shapes and sizes, the problem is that I was really disappointed with these balms because they just aren't that good as far as I am concerned.

What's Good About Them?

Well, as with all Body Shop products, these balms come in a range of flavours and all of them pack a serious punch. The three that I got were orange, strawberry and blackberry. The scents are all really nice and smell exactly how you would expect them too. The flavours last a while too and I find that I do wear them, the smell lasts well. My favourite is the blackberry. They are really fruity and are nice to have on your lips in that respect.

I also think that the ten mililitre tubs last quite a while. I am not a big fan of balms in tubs, but I do concede that they seem to last a bit longer than a stick for example because I get carried away with sticks and end up putting too much on.

What's Not So Good About Them?

The first thing that I don't like about them is the fact that I think they feel a bit greasy. I find that my fingers are really greasy after I have applied them which is a pain when you are somewhere with no tissues!

Secondly I don't think they are very moisturising. In fact I find that my lips actually feel drier when I have put this on than without it.

They aren't cheap at two pounds for a tub although I think The Body Shop often do offers where you get three for five pounds, which is not too bad really.

Would I recommend It?

No is the short answer. Whilst I love the smell of them and think they last well, I just don't think they are very good at all as a lip moisturiser and so I can't recommend them and I certainly won't be buying them again.

21.11.2014 21:40

Advantages

• Moisturises

Disadvantages

• "Too Sweet"

Sweet Like Strawberries

I am obsessed with lip balms and I go through them like there is no tomorrow because I have one in every pocket, bag and drawer that I have! Despite this, I still end up buying them on a regular basis when I am out and about, which is how I ended up with this strawberry one from Boots (I blame the shops that have them at the tills!).

The balm is a standard stick on that is twisted at the bottom to make the stick come out of the top. The twisting mechanism works well and has lasted, which is actually a surprising thing because I have had so many cheap balms where the packaging breaks easily.

The balm is a good moisturiser and I find that it works really well. It is long lasting and I find that it makes my lips feel really soft afterwards. I find that I don't need very much of it at all on each usage which means that it will last a long time. I think this makes it really good value for money, especially considering that it is only a pound for a standard sized five gram tube.

The only thing that I don't like about this balm is the scent of it. I am not a particularly big fan of strawberry scented things in general but this one is particularly sweet. Too sweet for me in fact. it really does smell like strawberries and so if you like strawberries, I am sure you will love this product.

Overall I would recommend this balm because it is good, but only if you like sweet, strawberry scented things.

20.11.2014 21:19

Advantages

• "Lasts ages"
      • "Thick and good moisturiser"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive at full price"
      • "Very sweet"

Sweet Sweet Sweet!

This is yet another of the vast range of Body Shop body butters that I have. I am a big fan of the product in general, although I have to admit that this is not my favourite version of it by a long shot.

The thing I love most about this body butter, and in fact all of the ones from the Body Shop, is the fact that it is really thick which means it lasts for absolutely ages - I find that a tub generally lasts me about six months with very regular use. The other good thing about the thickness is the fact that it makes it a really good moisturiser and it leaves my skin feeling really hydrated and smooth.

I find that it is suitable for all over your body, including your face. One thing you do need to do though is soften it up a bit in your hands first otherwise it is tough to put on because it is so thick.

The body butters in general pack a punch when it comes to their scent and this is great when it is a scent that you like. And therein lies the problem for me because this blueberry one is just too sweet. It certainly smells like blueberry (or at least like blueberry things generally smell), but with it being not one that I particularly like, I find it a bit overpowering and too much to put up with all day.

The body butter has a recommended retail price of £13 for a 200ml tub. This seems expensive at face value, but I think it is pretty good value because of the longevity of the product. Having said that, this is one of their seasonal ones that tends to be available in summer so at the end of the season it's price is slashed - I actually got mine for the bargain sum of £5.

Overall I would recommend the product in general but not this version unless you like the sweeter smells - I would definitely suggest trying a tester before you buy. If you can get it at the discounted price - even better!

• The Body Shop Body Butter / Body Care / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      19.11.2014 21:36

Advantages

• "Good for all over the body"
      • "Smell great"
      • "Thick and long lasting"

Disadvantages

• "Try to up sell"
      • Expensive

Body Butter At Its Best

I am not a big fan of The Body shop in general because I find the smell as you enter their shops very overpowering and I think that the stuff that they sell is generally overpriced. That said, I do brave visits to the shop to get my hands on some of their body butter, which I think is without a doubt the best version that there is on the market.

There are lots of things that I like about The Body Shop body butters. On a general note, I think that they are lovely and thick and that they feel really luxurious when you are applying them. I find that you need to rub a bit in your hands first to soften it up because it is far too thick to rub straight into your skin, unless you like applying moisturiser to be some kind of torture! I also like it because it is suitable to use all over your body, even your face (as long as you do soften it a bit first).

The second thing I like about them is the fact that a little goes a long way with them. This means that, although they are pricey at £13 for a 200ml tub, they are actually pretty good value for money. I find that a tub lasts me about three months, using it all over my body pretty much every day. In fact I find that I tend to decide I want to try a different flavour before the tubs actually run out, which is why I have so many of them!

This brings me on to the flavours themselves, which is the thing I like most about the body butters because there are just so many of them to choose from. The scents vary from fruity to flowery and every single one of them packs a punch - they are not for those who like a subtle flavour. There are the most popular flavours such as the coconut and mango ones that are available all year round, then there are seasonal flavours that are only available at certain times of year and are only continued if they are popular - so don't fall in love with one that nobody else likes!

They do tend to try and up sell their body scrubs with the butters when you go in, but I would avoid these like the plague because I hate them!

Overall I would definitely recommend the body butters from The Body Shop because, whilst they are expensive, they are good and they last a long time, making them good value for money and a great all round moisturiser.

19.11.2014 10:02

Advantages

• Luxurious
      • "Works well"
      • "Smells amazing"
      • "Lasts a long time"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Fabulous Stretch Mark Cream and Moisturiser

When you are pregnant, you get useful bags from a company called Bounty that include lots of treats and things to help you through the pregnancy and beyond. One of the things that I got was a tub of this Cussons Mum and Me Bump Stretch Mark Cream and I have to say that I am very impressed with it and I will definitely buying a lot more of it.

The cream is designed to promote elasticity of the skin which in turn is supposed to help with unsightly stretch marks. The cream is ultimately designed for stretch marks caused by your baby bump in pregnancy, but it does say that it is suitable for all areas prone to stretch marks. I honestly think though that I'll be using it well beyond the pregnancy because I like it that much.

The first thing that I like about it is the consistency. It comes in a little round tub a bit like what you'd expect to see a body butter in, but it isn't anywhere as thick. It isn't as thin as body milks or even moisturising creams either; it is somewhere in the middle. I love the consistency because it is thick enough that you feel that it is a substantial enough cream to do something but it is not so thick that it is uncomfortable to apply. The latter is something that is essential when pregnant because you obviously don't want to be having to rub the skin too hard.

The second thing I like about it is the fact that is leaves my skin feeling so silky afterwards. It really does feel like an expensive night cream or something because it feels so nice. I am not naive about claims to remove stretch marks and have read all the information that says that it is nigh on impossible, but I am not all that bothered with this cream because it feels so nice and is so easy to apply that I would happily use it as a simple moisturiser anyway.

The third thing that I like about it is the smell. It is simply gorgeous. It is a very light and subtle smell that is perfect for me because I am suffering with strong smells during pregnancy and them making me feel queasy. This one is just the right combination of being a fruity and flowery scent without being at all over powering.

The cream is not cheap at around £10 for a 125ml tub, but a little goes a very long way and, even though I am using it twice a day as suggested, I have still not used even a half of my sample tub twenty weeks in. I doubt you'd need more than one tub during a pregnancy and so it is good value for money. Recommended.

12.11.2014 00:38

Advantages

• "Leaves hair feeling clean"
      • "Lathers well"
      • "Smells gorgeous"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Excellent Budget Shampoo

Like most people, I have tried hundreds of different kinds of shampoos over the years. I don't like to spend a lot of money on shampoo and conditioner and so tend to go with whatever is on offer. The one that I come back to time and time again is this coconut and lychee one from Alberto Balsam because it is great value and works well.

The first thing that I like about this is the fact that it smells absolutely gorgeous. It has a really nice summery smell to it that puts me in mind of summer holidays in tropical places. The lychee adds a nice twist to the traditional coconut scent. I find that it is a long lasting smell too and that people comment that my hair smells nice even hours after I have washed it. The other thing that is good about it is the fact that you get a fresh whiff of the scent when your hair gets wet again (which is all the time in this country!).

The second thing I like about it is the price. For a 400ml bottle it only costs £1.50 at full price. I have also found that it is very rarely at full price because there is always some kind of offer on it.

You don't need much of it either. Even though the bottle says that you should use a generous amount, I find that you don't need much at all because it is very easy to work up into a nice lather. I like to use it as a body wash in the shower too because it feels really nice.

The last thing I like about it is that it doesn't leave my hair all tangled. I have very sensitive hair and so generally always use a conditioner to stop tangles. I don't like to use a conditioner all the time though because I think it makes my hair a bit heavier. With this shampoo, I find that a conditioner is not actually necessary and that it leaves my hair feeling really soft and tangle free and looking very shiny.

Absolutely recommended.

• Smashbox Brow Tech To Go / Make Up / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      12.11.2014 00:28

Advantages

• "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• expensive
      • "Too light"

Not Worth The Money Unfortunately

I am a bit of a fan of Smashbox products and I admit that I got a little bit swept up in the hype surrounding them, so I was quite excited about this Brow Tech To Go product when I saw it. I am afraid to say though that I am quite disappointed with it and it just hasn't lived up to my expectations at all.

What's Good About It?

Well it isn't all bad, because it is a nifty little product that is very handy. It is more or less the size of a very narrow mascara, which means that it is easy to stick in your hand bag or purse and can go with you on a night out for a top up.

The product itself is easy to use. It is double ended with one end a bit like a mascara with a brush in it and the other being the coloured end. The brush end has gel inside that is designed to help you shape your brows and to make sure there are no sticky out bits and that they are nice and smooth. The pencil end is for adding colour to your brows and to make them stand out against your make up underneath. The pencil end has been shaped at an angle so that it is easy to get a smooth line, even if you ahve unsteady hands.

What's Not So Good About It?

So, it sounds good, but I am afraid that is where the good stuff ends. The main problem I have with it is that the colours just aren't right. It comes in two shades - light and dark - and the problem is that I have light auburn hair and the light one is so light that you almost can't tell that there is any on unless you really go over and over it. The dark is the opposite and is just too dark for me.

The other problem with it is that it is pretty pricey. At £19, I would say that it is probably not worth the money - not recommended.

12.11.2014 00:17

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • Foamy

Disadvantages

• "Little bit stingy in eyes"

Great Simple Product!

I usually use Clarins cleansing products, but for my last birthday my sister gave me a big goody bag full of little treats and things, some of which were from the Simple range. I ahve never tried anything from this range before, but I have to say that I am impressed and the best thing for me was the Kind To Skin Moisturising Wash.

The idea behind Simple products is that they are natural products that are kind to your skin (hence the name!). As a result, this facial wash is unscented. I didn't think I was going to like this because I find that unscented things are generally quite clinical, but that wasn't a problem with this and it was actually nice because when I applied my mosituriser afterwards, there wasn't a clash of flavours if you will.

The wash itself is very foamy and I loved that a little bit went a long way. You only need a pea sized amount and you rub it into your skin and it gives a nice foam that really makes you feel like you are giving your skin a good clean - a bit like a scrub.

I think it works really well and it made my skin feel really clean afterwards. It did get rid of my eye make up too, although I will say that it stings a little bit if you get some in your eyes, so be careful with that. It says that it is a mositurising wash and it is indeed, although I still feel like I need a little bit of extra moisturiser to help with my dry skin. It doesn't leave your skin feeling softer than some washes do though and you might not need a moisturiser as well.

The product is only £3.49 for a 150ml bottle, which I think is cracking value for a great little product and I would definitely recommend it.

11.11.2014 23:43

Advantages

• "Nice lip balms"
      • "Great gift"

Disadvantages

• "For younger people really"

Coca Cola Lips!

I got a couple of these for presents last year and got one for myself because I was so impressed with them. I think they are a quirky little set and are great for a treat for yourself or for somebody else - and they make a great stocking filler for the big day!

The set shown in this picture must be an american version I think because the one I have has the UK versions of fizzy drinks in . . .

Coca Cola
      Coca Cola Vanilla
      Fanta Strawberry
      Fanta Orange
      Sprite
      Fanta Pineapple

Although I have never heard of Fanta Pineapple, I'm glad it is in there because it is my favourite one! The range is a good one because the scents of the balms are all very different and there is bound to be something you like love and hate in there! Personally I find the Coca Cola Vanilla far too sweet, but the other ones are nice enough to make up for that.

The balms come in a funky Coca Cola theme presentation tin and, if you don't want to keep your balms in there afterwards, it is ideal for knick knacks or even as a pencil case for younger girls.

As for the balms themselves, they are good but not great. If you have really dry and chapped lips, they aren't brilliant but they are nice for giving you slightly smoother shiny lips.

The tin costs between ten and thirteen pounds, depending on where you buy it from and I would say that it is worth that for six balms - considering how much you can pay for just one in some places.

Definitely recommended.

11.11.2014 23:29

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • "Lasts well"
      • "Smells amazing"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Totally Tropical Smell

I have pretty dry skin and, over the years, I have tried all kinds of moisturising creams, lotions and potions and I haven't found any that work as well as the range of body butters from The Body Shop. I also love trying all of the many, many different flavours and scents that they offer and this coconut one is my all time favourite by a long shot.

The butter comes in a 200ml tub and is priced at around £13. Many of the other flavours can often be found discounted to as little as £5 a tub but, unfortunately, this one isn't one of them because it is so popular. The benefit of this is that it is always available. Many of the butters are seasonal and so you get them, love them and then can't find them agai. This one is available all year round.

The butter itself is nice and thick, which gives it a really luxurious feel. It also means that you don't have to use much of it at a time - a little really does go a long way. You need to rub it together a bit in your hands first to soften a bit, but it is soft enough to use all over your body including your face and it leaves your skin feeling really soft and not at all oily, which is lovely.

The smell is by far the best thing about this butter. It smells really coconutty and it makes me think of summer holidays and tropical beaches. It is a summery fragrance, but I find that it is suitable for using all year round because it has a nice luxurious smell. It is not overpowering either so that you can wear it all day and still smell it at the end of the day, but it isn't so strong that it gives you a headache. It is nice for applying before bed too.

I would definitely recommend this body butter because it is a great product, it smells amazing, is a really good moisturiser and, even though it is a little on the pricey side, it is worth the money.

11.11.2014 23:00

Advantages

• "Works Well"
      • "Lasts well"

Disadvantages

• "Very Sweet"
      • Expensive

Very Very Sweet

I got this version of the Body Shop's Body Butter range in the end of summer sales earlier this year. I think it was one of their seasonal body butters that they sell off at a substantial discount every so often. it was part of a fruity themed pack that included blueberry and something else. I think have seen it at other times though so I think it is one that is available each summer.

I love Body Shop body butters because I find that they work really well and have a long lasting effect. I have fairly dry skin and have tried loads of different kinds of moisturiser over the years and this has always been my favourite kind. It is a lovely thick cream that needs a bit of massaging to make it soft enough to rub on your skin, but it is really good when you do and I find that it leaves my skin feeling soft and not at all greasy. It is gentle enough that you can use it on your face too, which I do.

The fact that the cream is so thick has another advantage and that is the fact that it lasts for ages. You only need a tiny little bit at a time. The body butter comes in a 200ml pot and I find that each pot lasts me about three months, using it every day.

The body butter comes in all kinds of smells, and as I said, this is one of their fruity ones (obviously). It is incredibly fruity actually and the minute you open the tub you get a big whiff of raspberry fragrance. If I am being honest, the fragrance is a bit too strong for me. It is really sweet and lasts for a looooong time. I think the initial smell is nice but for long term use, it is quite overpowering. I don't think I'd get it again to be honest and I think it'd recommend that you have a sniff before you buy it to see if you like it. At £13 a tub full price, it is a lot to spend on something that you might not like.

Not recommended.

11.11.2014 22:00

Advantages

• "Good colour"
      • "Long lasting"
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "Not easy to remove"
      • Expensive

Long Lasting Lashes

The mascara is in Clinique's usual understated and simple style in that it comes in a small and symmetrical black and silver tube. The size is pretty good because it fits comfortably into handbags and make up bags; I have used other mascaras that contain the same amount of liquid but are in much bigger and clumsier bottles than this one.

The mascara is available in two colours; black and dark chocolate. I have the black one and the colour is really dark and thick, which I love. It seems a bit of an obvious thing to say, but I have had them in the past that are a bit wishy washy and light and I have found that I have needed more than one coat. This is not so with the Clinique one because it only needs one coat to give a nice dark colour.

The brush is quite small which I think is actually much better. It is really easy to use and I find that, because it is so small, it is really easy to get really good coverage across my lashes. It is really maneuverable and I find that I can apply the mascara all the way around my lashes without too much effort. The mascara goes on really well and I haven't had any clumping at all with it.

The main selling point of the mascara is that it is long lasting and they claim that it will last up to 24 hours. I am usually weary about these kind of claims, but in this case I think the mascara has earned the bragging rights. I wear it mainly for work and I find that I tend to rub my eyes a lot at work, but there are no panda eyes in sight when I am wearing this one. It doesn't smudge at all and it does maintain the colour for a long time.

In fact the only problem with the mascara is that it is a little difficult to remove. You get usage instructions with the mascara and it advises that you should dab it off with bath temperature water. To be honest this is where it falls down a bit in my opinion. It isn't impossible to remove, but it is certainly more difficult than just throwing a bit of warm water in the direction of your eyes, as the instructions imply.

The mascara is available for around the £16 mark, which isn't cheap, but I think it is pretty good value for money. I would definitely recommend the mascara because it is a good investment, rather than spending as much on lots of cheaper but inferior mascaras.

11.11.2014 12:50

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • "Last well"
      • "Smells lovely"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Gorgeous Smelling Body Butter

I am a big fan of Body Shop body butters and am always looking out for the newest scents that they are offering in their now very vast range. Some of the flavours come and go seasonally and some of them are so good and popular that they stand the test of time and are almost always available. I am pleased to say that the olive one falls into this category because I think it is probably my favourite of them all and, believe me, I have tried a lot of them!

The Body Shop body butter range all look exactly the same except for the colour and picture on the front of the tubs. This one, I have to say is actually one of the most unappealing and is a prime example of why you should never judge a book by its cover so to speak. The funny green colour continues inside the tub with the butter itself, but please don't let that put you off!

The cream is really thick which is brilliant for me because it means it lasts longer. A 200ml tub usually lasts me about three months and I use it every day. Because it is so thick it needs a bit of warming up first but a little does go a very long way. It is suitable for all over the body including the face, as long as you warm it up enough by rubbing it for a little while in your hands. I love it because it leaves my fairly dry skin feeling soft and moisturised without feeling at all greasy.

The smell of the product is by far the best thing about it because it really is lovely. Unlike some of the fruity ones they do, this is quite an understated smell and so is not overpowering. It is a nice fresh smell that reminds me of summer outdoors and it is very light. I don't know what olives are actually supposed to smell like, but this stuff is really very nice. I'd say that it is suitable for all year round use.

The only disadvantage that I can think of for this particular version of the body butter is the price. Full price it is £13 for the 200ml tub. Since it is such a popular one, you will never see it discounted because they never discontinue it unfortunately. Having said that, because of the fact that the tub lasts so long, I would say that it still represents pretty good value for money and is worth splashing out on. Recommended.

11.11.2014 11:44

Advantages

• "Long lasting"
      • "Works Well"
      • "Fruity Smell"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A Bit Of Passion In A Body Butter

I don't generally use a lot of Body Shop products because I think they are over priced and the smell of the shop when you go in, I find very overpowering. However, having said that, their range of Body Butters are my favourite moisturisers and I have been using them for years. The one I am using at the moment is the passion fruit.

The body butter comes in a 200ml tub and is a purple colour with a picture of a passion fruit on the top. The tub is priced at around £13, but if you look in the shop regularly, you can often get their seasonal flavours, such as this one at a discounted rate. I think I paid £5, which is much better.

The butter is nice and thick which means two things. Firstly you have to massage it in your hands for a while to warm it up and soften it enough to be able to spread it on. Secondly it means that a little goes a long way. I use the body butter every day and find that a tub usually lasts me about three months which means that it isn't actually that bad value for money. It is gentle enough to use on your face, which I do and I find that it leaves my skin feeling really soft and moisturised, without it feeling greasy.

As for the smell. Well this is one of the things I love about the Body Shop body butters because the smells aren't at all wishy washy and they all smell of what they claim to. This passion fruit one is no exception and smells really exotic and fruity. The smell is long lasting and whilst I like it, you need to make sure that you do before you part with your money because it may be overpowering for some. It reminds me of holidays and so probably works well as a summer fragrance although I am still using it now in the depths of winter because it reminds me of nice summer days!

Recommended.

10.11.2014 22:00

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "Not widely available"
      • Thin

Just average For Me.

I got this mainly because it came in a small tub and so was ideal for travelling. I am a huge fan of body butters in general because I have really dry skin and find that the butters are the most effective for moisturising. I prefer Body Shop ones, but they don't come in a tub small enough to carry in your hand luggage when you are travelling.

Unfortunately I have to say that this product just isn't as good as the Body Shop ones and I probably won't be buying it again. Having said that, it isn't the worst product out there and there are some things that I really like about it. Firstly it smells really nice. It has a really fresh smell that isn't too fruity or too flowery. The smell isn't overpowering either, so it is a nice cream to wear through the night.

The second thing that I like about it is the fact that it is cheap. As I have said I prefer the Body Shop ones, but at £13 per tub, they aren't the cheapest product on the market. I got this one for just a couple of pounds, so it is obviously infinitely better in that respect.

That's where the good stuff ends unfortunately. The problem with this cream is that it is a lot thinner than I would like and so that you need a lot of it to get any kind of moisturised feeling. This in turn means that, although it is cheaper, it turns out that it isn't that good value really.

I also find that it just doesn't work as much as I'd like it to. It doesn't really leave my skin feeling particularly moisturised and so it isn't a product that I would use again unfortunately.

Although not the worst moisturiser out there by any stretch of the imagination, it is not one that I can honestly recommend.