dkm1981

dkm1981
  • Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

11.12.2014 13:00

Advantages

• "Good location"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Basic

Good budget Hotel in Paris

We recently stayed in this hotel for three nights. We've stayed here a few times in the past because it is a good budget option in a good location in the city of Paris, which is something that is pretty hard to come by.

The hotel is just behind the Moulin Rouge, so is within walking distance of the Gare de Nord train station , which is the main one connecting the city to the airports and to other countries in Europe. It is also just a few minutes walk from the Sacre Ceour, from which you get the best views of Paris (in my opinion).

The rooms are basic but good enough for a few days. The beds are firm but comfortable and all the essential amenities are there - TV, desk, small bathroom with shower and hair dryer, small wardrobe. Small is the keyword here as it is with all but the uber expensive hotels on the city, because space is at a premium.

You can get breakfast at the hotel, although it is a basic continental buffet style breakfast and, at ten euros a person, we didn't think it was particularly good value so we skipped it this time. There are plenty of places to get a good, cheap breakfast nearby.

The staff are friendly for the most part although there is some abruptness when there is more of a language issue.

There is a very small lift to all five floors and that's about it in terms of other amenities, which is pretty much what you should expect for a hotel of this size in Paris.

I would recommend it as a no frills, good budget option for if you don't want to spend much I time in your room.

10.12.2014 11:52

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Smells nice"
      • "Last ages"

Great Deodorant Product From Aldi

I usually use the Lacura from Aldi Sparta deodorant and am a fan because it smells nice and is good value. The problem with it is that the bottle is too big for when I am travelling because it doesn't fall into the 'under 100ml' liquid restrictions when travelling through airports with just hand luggage. So imagine my delight the other day when I was in my local Aldi doing the shopping and I saw that they do the same thing in a small roll on bottle.

Generally I am not as big a fan of roll ons as spray deodorants, but this one has totally won me over for various reasons. The main reason that I don't love roll ons is that I find that they take ages to dry. That is not a problem with this one though and it dries really quickly. This also means that it has the added bonus of not leaving those annoying white marks on my clothes.

I also love the smell of it. It is really fresh and not at all overpowering. It is sort of like a fruity smell that has just enough floral tones to not make you smell like a fruit salad when you are wearing it. I also find that it lasts so long. I put it on in the morning and I can still smell it the following morning, which is really impressive I think.

The best thing about the deodorant though is the fact that it only costs 59p which is absolutely cracking value for money and very cheap, especially considering that even such a small bottle lasts absolutely ages. Definitely recommended.

03.12.2014 12:10

Advantages

• "Light colour"
      • "Makes skin silky"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Doesn't seem to do much"

Not A Blushing Success For Me

I love airport and aeroplane shopping and am always tempted by things I see there. The last time I flew on holiday, I picked up this Blush BB Cream from L'Oreal's Nude Magique range. I can't say I am overly impressed with it. It isn't a bad product, but I don't think I'll be buying it again.

What's Good About It?

First of all the product, like the rest of the ones in the range that I have tried, has a really silky texture to it. This is what made me buy it in the first place actually. It is so easy to apply and blends in really well to your skin because it is nice and light and smooths in really well.

Secondly, it is a really nice colour. I would actually describe it as more of a highlighter than a blusher because it is so subtle. This is exactly what I wanted because I wanted to give my cheeks a bit of colour but I didn't want some thick and heavy blusher that looks too pink. It is supposed to react to you skin tone, which I think is a claim too far really.

What's Not So Good About It?

The main problem that I have with the blush cream is that it seems to just disappear to nothing on my skin. It starts off alright, but literally after a few seconds, it is like I don't have anything on at all, which is a shame and kind of defies the point of it for me.

Secondly it is on the expensive side. It doesn't seem it on face value, because you can get it for around the eight pound mark (less if you buy it from duty free like me), but that only gets you a tiny 1ml bottle! So not such good value after all.

Recommended?

No, I think would have to be my honest answer, which is a shame because it does feel nice on your skin and it is potentially a really good product.

01.12.2014 21:45

Advantages

• "Lots of shades"
      • Cheap

Great Bargain Powder

I like to wear a powder over the top of my foundation to stop my face from looking all shiny, but I don't want one that is too heavy or thick because I can't stand it when makeup looks too powdery (I am a hard lady to please!). I do like this one from Collection 2000 for a number of reasons; namely it isn't too thick, it comes in a range of shades and it is cheap.

The powder, like I say is cheap. Collection 2000 is a pretty budget range of makeup, but that's not to say it's not good because it is. The powder doesn't look any different from the more expensive versions of the same thing; it comes in a little round tub with a clear plastic cover that allows you to see the shade of powder inside. It costs around the £2 mark, which is fantastic value as far as I am concerned!

The powder is available in seven different shades, ranging from very light to quite dark. The powders are called things like 'Translucent', 'Ivory' and 'Warm beige' and they are pretty good names because they are reflective of the colour that you get, which is much better than some of these random companies!

The powder is really nice on, it is kind of silky and goes on very well. It seems to stay on quite well which is good and means that I would absolutely definitely recommend. It is available from places like Superdrug, so it is easy to get hold of as well.

01.12.2014 21:21

Advantages

• Fresh
      • Light
      • "Smells Gorgeous"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Aquatic Gorgeousness

I have tried loads of fragrances over the years - I am lucky enough to be able to work in a job where I get discounted perfumes and aftershaves - but this is one that I always go back to it because I absolutely love the smell of it. It has been a stalwart on the fragrance market that has stood the test of time and for very good reason.

The perfume comes in a light blue glass bottle that is domes at the bottom and is simple in design. The bottle is representative of the fragrance and is perfect for what is an understated but classic perfume. It is not one of these glitzy in your face perfume bottles that tries to double up as a work of art, but it is suited to the fragrance itself.

The name of the fragrance gives a good clue to the scent - it is an aqua like scent that is light and fresh. It uses a good combination of fruity (blackcurrant, pineapple and honeydew melon) and floral (lotus blossom and waterlily) notes to make sure that it smells neither too fruity or too florally. You'll notice that the individual ingredients have a watery theme to them which to my, admittedly untrained, nose works really well to create a lovely summery fragrance that is long lasting but not at all over powering. I would suggest that it is a fragrance more suited to summer days.

The perfume has an RRP of £36 for a 50ml bottle and £48 for a 100ml bottle, although I have never paid anything like this for it because it is generally on offer in shops for much less. In fact, at the time of writing, the 100ml bottle is available in Boots for £24.99 which is an absolute bargain. Definitely recommended.

26.11.2014 10:20

Advantages

• "Lasts Well"
      • "Works Well"
      • "Smells nice "

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "White bits"

Sure Smells Good!

I have tried a lot of different deodorants in my time, mainly because I am not brand loyal and I buy whatever is on offer when I go shopping. I have to say though that this is one I do particularly look out for to see if it is on offer because it is one of my favourites.

What Is Good About It?

Well the thing that I like most about this deodorant is the smell because it is absolutely gorgeous. It is so fresh and a little bit fruity rather than being florally, which is just what I like. I would describe it as being a bit like Davidoff's Cool Water perfume or perhaps CK One, so if you like that kind of scent, it is perfect for you.

The second thing that I like about it is the fact that it lasts well both in terms of how long it keeps you smelling fresh and how long the bottle lasts. It is a decent sized 250ml bottle and so lasts a while, especially because you don't need that much each time you use it. It claims to last 24 hours and I would just about agree with that because when I wear it I can still smell the deodorant under my arms when I wake up the following morning, which is nice.

What Is Not So Good About It?

At £3.29 a bottle, it is not the cheapest deodorant on the planet, although I would still say this is just about good value for money. I would definitely recommend keeping an eye out for it when it is on offer though, which it very often is in the big supermarkets.

The other thing that is not so good about it is the dreaded white patches. having said that, I only seem to get that for the first few times I use it after starting a new bottle. Perhaps the problem naturally gets better when the stuff inside hasn't been left to settle. It is also not as bad if you hold the bottle further away when you are spraying it.

Would I Recommend It?

Yes I would because it smells nice and works well. The couple of things that aren't so good about it aren't enough to make me not recommend it - although I would, like i said, suggest keeping an eye out for it when it is on special offer.

• Malibu Sun Lotion / Sun Care / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      22.11.2014 10:58

Advantages

• "Works Well"
      • "Smells Amazing"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Good Reviews From Which?"

Gorgeous Smelling Sun Cream From Malibu

I am fortunate enough to be able to go on holiday quite a lot and so do go through a vast amount of sun cream each year. One of my favourites is the Malibu sun lotion range. I like the fact that it smells amazing, it is cheap in comparison to others and it works well for me.

What Is Good About It?

The first thing that I love about it is the smell. It is coconut flavoured and it really is a gorgeous smell that will put you in mind of pina coladas on the beach in the Caribbean - you can't fail to start daydreaming when you smell it. It is a nice fruity smell that is not too overpowering that you can't put up with it all day. It is strong enough though that it lasts all day and covers up any smells that might have arrived as a result of sweating on the beach all day!

It is a nice thick sun cream that feels really soft and smooth on your skin. It really is a lotion rather than some of these thinner milks that you can get. This means that it doesn't dissolve within seconds so you can actually see where you have and haven't applied it, making it much easier to make sure that you get a full coverage.

The product is one of the cheaper ones on the market and I think it represents good value for money too - it costs less than £5 for a 200ml bottle, which is way cheaper than many of its competitors.

What's Not So Good About It?

Well I actually think that it offers really good protection and I have never been burnt whilst I am using it (I do follow the instructions and apply half an hour before going into the sun and reapply after going into water etc). But, having said that, I have just had a quick search for the product online and I came across a news story in the Daily Mail earlier this year that says the product was given a bad review by Which?, the consumer company. They say that their tests indicate that the SPF protection level of the lotion is not what it says on the bottle, which is obviously not a good thing. Like I said though, I use it regularly and have never had a problem with it.

Recommended?

Yes. Despite the bad reports from Which?, I have never had any problems with it and I really like the product. Like all sun creams and lotions, you have to exercise caution in the sun anyway.

22.11.2014 10:33

Advantages

• "Nice Taste"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Long Lasting"
      • "Very Sweet"

Cheap and Cheerful Mouthwash

I am a bit of a cheapskate it has to be said and so I tend to give all of the value style products in supermarkets a go, which is how I came to purchase this one from Tesco. I used to buy the Tesco standard range version (I can't bear spending the kind of money the big brands expect, for something that I essentially spit out), but I changed to this one when they had none of the usual one in stock and have never bothered to change back.

What Is Good About It?

Well the best thing about it is the fact that it is so cheap. At just 40p for a 600ml bottle, it is worth a try even if you aren't sure! It is a decent sized bottle like I said, so it does last a while which makes it pretty good value for money too. Hubby and I both use it on a daily basis and I would say that a bottle lasts maybe three or four weeks.

The second thing I like about it is the taste of it. It is a sort or peppermint flavour and is quite nice and not too overpowering. It doesn't have that horrible medical type taste that some of the more expensive mouthwashes.

What's Not So Good About It?

I do find the mouthwash a little on the sweet side and sometimes it gives me the feeling that it is perhaps too sweet to be doing any real good - shouldn't medicine type things and things that are good for you taste horrible? Also, whilst it does make my mouth taste fresh, it is quite subtle so it doesn't last all that long.

Recommended?

Yes, for that price, how can I not recommend it?!

22.11.2014 09:36

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Don't last long"
      • Rubbish

Terrible Razors Not Even Worth The low Price Tag

i hate shaving. Literally I loathe it. I am one of those lazy folks who loves it when winter comes and I can wear long trousers and tights to cover up a multitude of sins (namely much less frequent leg shaving). This results in me begrudging spending a lot of money on shaving products and razors, which is how I came to buy the Aldi disposable razors.

What's Good About Them?

Genuinely, the only good thing that I can say about them is that they are cheap. Very cheap in fact - I should have seen this as a warning sign. You get twelve of the disposable razors in a pack for 85 measly pence, which works out at just over seven pence each. See I told you they were cheap.

What's Not So Good About Them?

Everything but the price. They are twin blade razors. I have to admit I was always scornful of these adverts where they boast that their razors have upwards of five blades for a smoother finish, but it turns out that they have a point, because two blades is not good for anything. They don't get anywhere near close enough and I find that I have to go over and over so often that my skin becomes sensitive and even sore. I also find that they don't last long at all before the blade is as blunt as a banana skin - two shaves maximum.

Recommended?

Absolutely not. The fact that they are cheap is not enough of a saving grace for me too recommend these and the fact that they don't last long at all means that even at seven pence each, they aren't good value for money - avoid, avoid, avoid!

22.11.2014 09:20

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • "Smells great"

Disadvantages

• "Not great for the face"
      • Expensive

Good But You Are Paying For The Brand Name

i have a million and one different moisturising creams, lotions and potions, because I suffer from dry skin and am always trying new things. Hubby gets more than a little frustrated at the sheer number of half empty tried and tested bottles I have in the bathroom cabinets! This one is rarely left behind though because I really like it.

What Is Good About It?

Firstly, the thing that I like most about it and the thing that drew me to it, is the smell. It is a fabulously fresh smelling moisturising lotion that puts you in mind of warm summer days when you wear it which is perfect all year round in my opinion because it makes you reminisce about the lovely summer in winter and makes you feel fresh in summer itself. It has an aqua sort of smell that is light and not at all overpowering so is suitable for all day use and even applying before bedtime.

The mosituriser itself contains aloe vera which I think makes my skin feel really soft. I find that I do need a good dollop of it to cover my skin, because it isn't the thickest, but the results are excellent all the same.

What's Not So Good About It?

It isn't suitable for your face, which might seem obvious because it is a body lotion, but I find that most are suitable for your face too. This one isn't because it is a bit too thin and it doesn't really give my dry facial skin the moisture that it needs. I also find that it can sting a little bit on the sensitive areas of your face.

It isn't the cheapest product on the market either at more than five pounds for a 400ml bottle. It's not ridiculously expensive, but considering that a little doesn't really go a long way, it is not particularly good value for money.

Recommended?

I do like the product and the things that I like about it I really like, the problem for me is that I have found the supermarket own brand version of the same thing and I think that it is just as good and it has the added bonus of being half the price. So whilst I do like this, I would only recommend it if you really want to pay a bit extra for the Vaseline brand name.

• Vaseline Lip Therapy / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      22.11.2014 09:09

Advantages

• "Lasts Ages"
      • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "Can taste metallic"

Vaseline Lip Balm - Still The Best

I suffer from dry lips all year round - in summer they get burned and in winter they get chapped - which is why I have untold amounts of lip balms, glosses, therapies and creams. The one I have been using the longest though and the one that I always come back to is the Vaseline Lip Therapy tin, which is the best on the market as far as I'm concerned.

What Is Good About It?

It is a petroleum jelly apparently which just sounds weird, but it must mean that it is a super product because I find that it really does make my lips feel soft and moisturised, no matter what the weather condition outside.

I find that I don't need very much of it at all, which doesn't stop me from getting carried away when I apply it, but it does mean that the twenty gram tin lasts absolutely ages. It is currently sold for around £1.85 for the tin which I think makes it extremely good value. If you want to bag yourself an even bigger bargain, head to Tesco (at the time of writing) where you can get two tins for £2, which is cracking value!

What's Not Good About It?

Whilst I do think this is a fabulous little product, there are a couple of things about it that I am not so keen on. Firstly it can be a little bit greasy on your fingers, so you need to make sure you have some tissue handy when you are using it. It is this that makes it such a good lip balm though, so a small price to pay I'd say.

Secondly, I am not so keen on the fact that it comes in a tin because I find that after a while the smell of the tin impacts on the balm and it results in a slightly metallic taste which isn't good. They do sell this in larger plastic tubs though, so it might be worth paying a bit more and getting that.

Recommended?

Overall this is definitely a yes because, despite its small issues, it is a great product.

• The Body Shop Lip Balms / Lip Care / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      21.11.2014 21:56

Advantages

• "Tub lasts a while"
      • "Great Smells"

Disadvantages

• "Don't moisturise"

Not Good, Body Shop

Last year, hubby and I each filled an advent calendar for the other person and in my calendar, I got three of these Body Shop Born Lippy lip balms. It was such a lovely idea because hubby knows how much I love lip balms in all shapes and sizes, the problem is that I was really disappointed with these balms because they just aren't that good as far as I am concerned.

What's Good About Them?

Well, as with all Body Shop products, these balms come in a range of flavours and all of them pack a serious punch. The three that I got were orange, strawberry and blackberry. The scents are all really nice and smell exactly how you would expect them too. The flavours last a while too and I find that I do wear them, the smell lasts well. My favourite is the blackberry. They are really fruity and are nice to have on your lips in that respect.

I also think that the ten mililitre tubs last quite a while. I am not a big fan of balms in tubs, but I do concede that they seem to last a bit longer than a stick for example because I get carried away with sticks and end up putting too much on.

What's Not So Good About Them?

The first thing that I don't like about them is the fact that I think they feel a bit greasy. I find that my fingers are really greasy after I have applied them which is a pain when you are somewhere with no tissues!

Secondly I don't think they are very moisturising. In fact I find that my lips actually feel drier when I have put this on than without it.

They aren't cheap at two pounds for a tub although I think The Body Shop often do offers where you get three for five pounds, which is not too bad really.

Would I recommend It?

No is the short answer. Whilst I love the smell of them and think they last well, I just don't think they are very good at all as a lip moisturiser and so I can't recommend them and I certainly won't be buying them again.

21.11.2014 21:40

Advantages

• Moisturises

Disadvantages

• "Too Sweet"

Sweet Like Strawberries

I am obsessed with lip balms and I go through them like there is no tomorrow because I have one in every pocket, bag and drawer that I have! Despite this, I still end up buying them on a regular basis when I am out and about, which is how I ended up with this strawberry one from Boots (I blame the shops that have them at the tills!).

The balm is a standard stick on that is twisted at the bottom to make the stick come out of the top. The twisting mechanism works well and has lasted, which is actually a surprising thing because I have had so many cheap balms where the packaging breaks easily.

The balm is a good moisturiser and I find that it works really well. It is long lasting and I find that it makes my lips feel really soft afterwards. I find that I don't need very much of it at all on each usage which means that it will last a long time. I think this makes it really good value for money, especially considering that it is only a pound for a standard sized five gram tube.

The only thing that I don't like about this balm is the scent of it. I am not a particularly big fan of strawberry scented things in general but this one is particularly sweet. Too sweet for me in fact. it really does smell like strawberries and so if you like strawberries, I am sure you will love this product.

Overall I would recommend this balm because it is good, but only if you like sweet, strawberry scented things.

20.11.2014 21:19

Advantages

• "Lasts ages"
      • "Thick and good moisturiser"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive at full price"
      • "Very sweet"

Sweet Sweet Sweet!

This is yet another of the vast range of Body Shop body butters that I have. I am a big fan of the product in general, although I have to admit that this is not my favourite version of it by a long shot.

The thing I love most about this body butter, and in fact all of the ones from the Body Shop, is the fact that it is really thick which means it lasts for absolutely ages - I find that a tub generally lasts me about six months with very regular use. The other good thing about the thickness is the fact that it makes it a really good moisturiser and it leaves my skin feeling really hydrated and smooth.

I find that it is suitable for all over your body, including your face. One thing you do need to do though is soften it up a bit in your hands first otherwise it is tough to put on because it is so thick.

The body butters in general pack a punch when it comes to their scent and this is great when it is a scent that you like. And therein lies the problem for me because this blueberry one is just too sweet. It certainly smells like blueberry (or at least like blueberry things generally smell), but with it being not one that I particularly like, I find it a bit overpowering and too much to put up with all day.

The body butter has a recommended retail price of £13 for a 200ml tub. This seems expensive at face value, but I think it is pretty good value because of the longevity of the product. Having said that, this is one of their seasonal ones that tends to be available in summer so at the end of the season it's price is slashed - I actually got mine for the bargain sum of £5.

Overall I would recommend the product in general but not this version unless you like the sweeter smells - I would definitely suggest trying a tester before you buy. If you can get it at the discounted price - even better!

• The Body Shop Body Butter / Body Care / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      19.11.2014 21:36

Advantages

• "Good for all over the body"
      • "Smell great"
      • "Thick and long lasting"

Disadvantages

• "Try to up sell"
      • Expensive

Body Butter At Its Best

I am not a big fan of The Body shop in general because I find the smell as you enter their shops very overpowering and I think that the stuff that they sell is generally overpriced. That said, I do brave visits to the shop to get my hands on some of their body butter, which I think is without a doubt the best version that there is on the market.

There are lots of things that I like about The Body Shop body butters. On a general note, I think that they are lovely and thick and that they feel really luxurious when you are applying them. I find that you need to rub a bit in your hands first to soften it up because it is far too thick to rub straight into your skin, unless you like applying moisturiser to be some kind of torture! I also like it because it is suitable to use all over your body, even your face (as long as you do soften it a bit first).

The second thing I like about them is the fact that a little goes a long way with them. This means that, although they are pricey at £13 for a 200ml tub, they are actually pretty good value for money. I find that a tub lasts me about three months, using it all over my body pretty much every day. In fact I find that I tend to decide I want to try a different flavour before the tubs actually run out, which is why I have so many of them!

This brings me on to the flavours themselves, which is the thing I like most about the body butters because there are just so many of them to choose from. The scents vary from fruity to flowery and every single one of them packs a punch - they are not for those who like a subtle flavour. There are the most popular flavours such as the coconut and mango ones that are available all year round, then there are seasonal flavours that are only available at certain times of year and are only continued if they are popular - so don't fall in love with one that nobody else likes!

They do tend to try and up sell their body scrubs with the butters when you go in, but I would avoid these like the plague because I hate them!

Overall I would definitely recommend the body butters from The Body Shop because, whilst they are expensive, they are good and they last a long time, making them good value for money and a great all round moisturiser.