dkm1981

dkm1981
  • Comments

Member since: 08.02.2009

04.09.2015 22:17

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
      • "Quiet ish"
      • "Includes cartridges"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Image printing quality not the best"

Good Everyday Use Printer

We bought this all in one printer a few years ago to replace our not so all singing and all dancing previous printer. Compared to that, this one is an absolute dream, but that is not saying much to be honest.Even taking out the comparison, I have to say that this printer is a pretty good one and we have been generally pleased with it.

The good thing about it and the thing that initially drew us to it was the price. It cost us £45 and came with a set of ink cartridges (one black and one colour). We thought this was pretty good value and still is, in fact they currently have it on sale in Argos for less than forty pounds, which is really good. The cartridges themselves cost about thirty pounds for both the black and colour, so it was a good deal we thought.

The printer is quick as well - it prints in black at just under ten sheets per minute and in colour at around six sheets per minute. We also like the fact that it is fairly quiet when it is printing. Our old machine used to take an age to load the paper which this one doesn't thankfully.

The scanner part of the machine is very easy to use and the on screen instructions you get help you work through it simply and quickly. We don't use this function all that much, but it is handy to have and good to know that it is easy to use.

The image quality of printing is not the best, but for everyday use is fine. In fact overall, I would say that you can really go wrong with this printer for an everyday use machine. Recommended.

• Acer Aspire 5742Z / Laptop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      04.09.2015 22:07

Advantages

• "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Nice and Simple Acer

I had this computer before my current one and I quite liked it really. I am a fan of the Acer Aspire brand because I know where everything is on them and I like the feel of them.

one of the things I liked most about this laptop was the keyboard which I found really easy to use and quite comfortable too. Being able to type comfortably for me is very important since I write a lot of reviews and this one didn't let me down in this respect.

It has lots of fancy functions and things, most of which are lost on me, but what I can tell you is that all of those fancy features make it a nice computer to use and they also make it nice and quick for doing every day things like browsing the internet and writing reviews etc.

It has a decent memory and although I don't ask it to do a lot, I was also being constantly told off by my husband for not looking after it in terms of cleaning the drives and memory (or whatever it is he is saying to me). Despite my apparent disregard for my laptop's health and well being, it lasted a good five years for me before it bit the dust, which I was impressed with and my husband was astounded by.

If you are looking for a nice simple laptop that does all the necessary things (and many more probably), for a decent price and is easy to use and quick, then i would definitely recommend this one to you.

• Philips DTR230 / Set Top Box / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      04.09.2015 21:56

Advantages

• "looks ok"

Disadvantages

• "deosn't record"
      • "rubbish remote"
      • slow

Too simple

We used to have a set top box that we loved and then it broke. We went through a million and one different ones in trying to replace it and had not much success. This was one of the ones that we tried and dismissed. It is cheap and cheerful and if simple is ok for you then this will be fine but it wasn't for us.

We picked it because it was cheap (at the time costing around thirty pounds). It is not so widely available now, but I have seen it online for about ten pounds, which is a brilliant price if you can find it, whatever its shortcomings.

It has all the standard and basic features - lots of Freeview channels (depending on your signal strength) and a seven day programme guide (also dependent on your signal strength) so it should be good, but it is just too basic for us.

The remote control is the most flimsy thing I have ever seen and is a pain to use for anyone who is remotely technophobic because the buttons are small and all the same as each other. The programme guide takes an age to load properly which is and age too long in this technologically advanced era we are in. You can't record anything on it, which was a must for us because we are never in when things that we want to watch are on.

On the plus side, it looks inoffensive - black and sleek and small. There isn't a lot to dislike about it in terms of looks.

The specifications if you are interested . . .

* 2 SCART SOCKETS
      * UP T0 50 TV CHANNELS
      * 7 DAY ELECTRONIC PROGRAM GUIDE
      * DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
      * 2 LITHIUM METAL BATTERIES REQUIRED
      * FREEVIEW RECEIVER WITH REDUCED ENERGY CONSUMPTION

Overall, I can't recommend this one because it is just too cheap and simple for our needs, but I'm sure there is someone out there that would like the fact that it is so basic - especially for that price.

• Samsung EP-370 / Headphones / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      04.09.2015 21:45

Advantages

• Comfortable
      • "Good sound"
      • "Long cord"

Disadvantages

• "not widely available"

Good In Ear Eraphones

These are the headphones that came with my Samsung phone and I have never had any problems with them. They are in ear bud type headphones which are the kind that I prefer to be honest. I find this style of headphone much more comfortable to wear and I really can't understand the fashion for big over the head style headphones that do nothing for me other than make my ears feel all hot and sweaty and make my hair flat.

So I like the fact that these are in ear bud type headphones and I also like the fact that they fit nicely. One of the problems with this type of headphone is that they are hard to get a comfortable fit because they have to be generic size. This doesn't seem to be a problem with these because I find that they are a nice snug fit and they don't fall out all the time.

I also like the fact that they have a decent 1.2m length cord which is less restrictive than some and is particularly good for when I am on holiday and I want to hide my phone under my sun bed to keep it in the shade whilst using it. The cord length offers a good amount of flexibility.

The earphones are available in both black and white, although I have the white ones and I quite like them actually.

The earphones are unfortunately not very widely available anymore, but a quick search online tells me that you can get them for around the £12. I think this is pretty good value for money actually because they offer a comfortable fit and a good sound - you don't get that tinny sound that you can get with some cheap ones. Recommended.

31.08.2015 00:28

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Good Value"

Lovely Value Watch

I am quite a fan of watches as you might be able to tell from all the reviews that I have written of them! I am fortunate to work in a job where I get a lot of them either cheaply or free when I win commission related competitions. I am a particularly partial to Breo watches because I think they are comfortable and extremely good value for money. i usually go for the Roam ones because they are the cheapest and most simple but I also have one of these Zen watches which are a little more expensive and also a little more stylish, rather than the fit for purpose Roam ones.

The things that I like about the Roam watches are also present in the Zen ones, which is to say that they come in a range of nice colours. The one I have is this blue one which I would describe as a sky blue. It is really lovely and quite bright but not garishly so.

The second thing I like about it is the fact that it is made of the light rubbery material that the Roam ones are made of and it is just as comfortable. The watch is slightly bigger but not overly so and it still sits nicely and doesn't look too big even on my narrow wrists.

The watch is quite traditional looking and simple which is perfect for me because I am a woman of simple tastes. The watch is the same colour all over except for the white details on the face and it is quite striking.

The watch costs in the region of £15 and I would say that it is very good value for money and I would definitely recommend them.

31.08.2015 00:12

Advantages

• "Good Value"
      • Bright

Disadvantages

• "Can slip round little wrists"

Cute and Educational

We were given a set of these wrist and foot rattles by Lamaze when our little man was born almost five months ago and he has had a fair bit of use out of them since, although not so much anymore. The idea behind these toys is that they help babies to work out that their feet and hands are their own by making a noise every time they move them.

The toys are little material bracelets topped with various bug type creatures. The wrist straps are coloured in the unmistakable black and white of the Lamaze range and not by accident either, seeing as this contrast it what even tiny babies can pick out straight away. My little boy loved looking at the black and white straps and was fascinated by them, which presumably helped with the learning about his own body parts thing. The bugs that they are topped with, I love because they are bright and whimsical. Little man loved them too and he loved sticking them in his mouth even more.

The little bugs rattle just enough that he could hear them but no so much that it was too loud or irritating for him. He did seem to like them and was fascinated with them for a long while. I say was because he doesn't need them any more because he has well and truly found his hands and feet and quite happily sticks them both in his mouth freely.

The toys cost about £10 and I would say that they are worth that money and would recommend them.

• Mamas & Papas Highchair / Highchair / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.08.2015 23:54

Advantages

• "Easy To Clean"
      • "Good Value"
      • Cheap

Good High Chair

We recently bought our son his first high chair from Mamas and Papas. We don't often buy things in Mamas and Papas because they tend to be the more expensive shop for baby things and their products aren't always worth the extra money that you pay for them. Having said that, we have picked up a few bargains from there, one of which was the high chair.

We wanted something simple for our son so that he could sit up to the table with us when we were eating meals. I am not a big fan of the space age type seats that drown children in technology and unnecessary features. Fortunately my simple tastes also lead to cheapness! This one cost around £40 orginially, but we picked it up in the sale for just £20. Either way, I would say it is good value for money, but it is obviously better if you can get it cheaper.

The simplicity of it means that it is very easy to clean which is essential when you have a child who is exploring food for the first time. there are no nooks and crannies that food can get stuck into and the food tray is easily cleaned with a wipe or damp cloth.

The tray is adjustable which means that it is suitable for little man as he gets bigger but it can be closer to him now whilst he is still small. The chair itself has a nice bit of padding in the base so it is comfortable for the boy to sit whilst we are having a meal. The straps are secure enough too, but not scratchy so he is happy to sit in them.

The pattern on the chair is cute but understated and is perfect for our dining room.

Definitely recommended.

• amazon.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.08.2015 23:44

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Has everything"

Disadvantages

• "Chaotic search results"

Amazon, The Home Of Everything

I am a big fan of amazon. I don't really buy anything without checking on the site to see if they have it for cheaper, which they generally do. I can easily while away hours perusing the hundreds of thousands (if not more) of things that they sell. It is mind boggling just how much they do sell, you really can get everything.

The brilliance of amazon is that it is all in one place and it is cheap. The fact that it is the forerunner of its kind means that it is the market leader and so has the most choice. This is good for grabbing a bargain, but is a blooming nightmare when you are trying to search for something specific. The ability to sort things once you have searched for something is severly lacking in my opinion, because there is just so much dross on there and the keyword match thing means that you get a lot of irrelevant stuff in your results. For example the search automatically defaults to most relevant, but when you change it to lowest price to highest price, a lot of cheaper items that have no relevence to your search come up purely because they have a similar word in the title.

Having said that, it is not enough to put me off using the site because it really is the cheapest and most comprehensive on the internet. It generally offers free delivery on lots of items, which is often a deal breaker for me.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend the site.

30.08.2015 23:28

Advantages

• "Good Value"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Unisex in my opinion"

Good Breo Watch for a Man

As you can probably tell from all of my reviews, I have an awful lot of these Breo watches. i have a bit of a thing for watches because I have to wear one for work and I go through them at an alarming rate because they get battered and bruised. This one though, I bought for my husband.

The watches are cheap and cheerful, which is one of the main reasons that I have so many of them. They are handy things to have and they are really comfortable to wear. They are made of a rubbery material that stretches easily over your hand and makes for a good fit when it is on your wrist. They are ridiculously light and you forget that you are even wearing one. This is helped by the fact that they are so narrow. There are perfect for wearing for sports and for when you are on holiday and don't want to take an expensive watch with you.

They are supposed to be water resisitant but I wouldn't recommend even taking a shower or washing up whilst wearing it because the faces have a tendency to get condensation in them if you do.

They come in a range of colours so you can match any outfit to one if you so choose. This grey one is on the pale side although I think it is still a more masculine colour. I wouldn't personally wear it.

The watch has a recommended retail price of ten pounds, but it is widely available for less than five pounds, which makes it very good value for money in my opinion and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Breo Venture White Small B-TI-VT8 / Watch / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      30.08.2015 23:19

Advantages

• "Good Value"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Small
      • "Discolours Easily"

Good Little Watch

I have a lot of Breo watches and many of them are the simple Roam ones, but I do have this white Venture one which is slightly different but has all the features of the Roam that I like. It's a pretty good watch and you can't go wrong for the price really.

The watch is made of a light rubber material and it is very comfortable. It is stretchy and so feels really light and well fitting even though it is a bangle type one that you can't adjust and tighten. It slips easily over the hand and sits nicely on your wrist. It is very narrow both in strap and on the face so it suits even the slimmest of wrists, which is one of the reasons that I am drawn to the range.

The face is round and has a white panel with second and hour hands. It is very simple which I love - i am not a fan of bling and so this suits me down to the ground. There are only marks for twelve, three, six and nine on the face, which can make it hard to tell the time at first glance. This isn't helped by the fact that it is so small - I wouldn't recommend it for folks who can't see all that well.

The watch is supposed to be water resistant, but it doesn't react well to water. The only other thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it can get discoloured so easily and it is susceptible to dirt, which is a shame because otherwise it is a really nice watch.

They are available on the internet for just a few pounds, which makes them very good value for money and I would definitely recommend it.

30.08.2015 23:09

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not Water REsistant"

Simple Black Watch

I own loads of these Breo watches because they are cheap and cheerful and I got a discount on them when we sold them at work when they were the next big thing in the fashion world. They were a bit of an overnight sensation because every celebrity in the world seemed to be wearing them. The fad has passed now, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still a good thing.

They are cheap. Really cheap. They have a recommended retail price of ten pounds, but you can get them all over the internet for less than five pounds now. This is flipping good value for money whichever way you cut it and is one of the things I like most about them. I wear mine on the beach on holiday because I don't mind leaving it behind when I go into the sea and whatever - it is easy to hide.

They come in a range of colours which makes it good for colour coordinating you outfit. This one is a plain black one, which is actually the one I wear the most often because it goes with everything and it is very understated. I find that this one doesn't get as dirty as quick either - some of the lighter colours start to get marked quickly.

They come in various sizes and they just slip over the wrist so the smaller sizes are good for children. The clock on them is digital and is easy to read.

They are supposed to be water resistant but I wouldn't recommend putting them in any kind of water because they don't like it much!

Overall I would definitely recommend this watch.

• Crockpot SCV655 / Slow Cooker / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.08.2015 22:29

Advantages

• "Good size"
      • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "Keep warm function is useless"

Great Slow Cooker

I had wanted a slow cooker for ages and ages because I had heard about how wonderful and easy to use they are, but somehow I never quite got round to getting one. They had this Crock Pot one on offer in my local farm shop for just £20 (which was cheaper than anywhere else that I have seen it) so we decided to buy one and I am quite pleased with the purchase to be honest.

It is has three settings; high, low and keep warm. The high setting generally needs about four hours and the low about eight. I think that the high setting is actually better for if you want to reduce sauces a bit, but be careful about leaving things on this setting for too long or the contents will stick. The keep warm setting is pretty useless as the only time I used it, it didn't keep anything warm!

The crock pot is a decent size. It is supposed to be for six servings I think which is about accurate. We tend to make large portions of everything and freeze the leftovers.

You get a small recipe book with the machine and there are a few good recipes in it. I have tried lots of different things in the slow cooker and I have been happy with them all. The machine is really good and so convenient and I really like it.

I think the recommended retail price is around £30, which I still think is very good value for money but if you can get it at the reduced price that I paid for it, then it is an absolute bargain and I can highly recommend it.

30.08.2015 22:16

Advantages

• "lots of functions"
      • small
      • "Good phone"

Disadvantages

• "GPS a bit rubbish"

Good Little Phone

Although this is a smart phone that can and does lots of things, I think it would be stupid to overlook its main function which is to make and receive calls. In this modern world it can be easy to overlook this function, but I am pleased to report that the Galaxy S3 Mini does this admirably. It is clear and I have never experienced crackling.
      The thing that I like most about this phone is that it is so much smaller than others. I really can’t understand this desire for a mobile phone that is the size of a tablet computer .
      The screen is what they call super-AMOLED. I have to admit I had no idea what this meant, so I looked it up. Apparently it stands for active-matrix organic light-emitting diode. I still have no idea what it means. I know that it is good though. Aside from sounding super impressive, for me it means that the screen is nice and bright and whatever the picture is on there, it is nice and clear.
      I like the predictive text function on the text message section because it is very good. If you have never used predictive text before, it takes some getting used to but it is well worth persevering
      In terms of battery life the phone is a pretty good performer
      I find that the GPS function in navigation is very hit and miss in that it quite often struggles to find my location or randomly puts me somewhere else in the middle of a journey so I have ended up lost a couple of times! This is rather annoying and is probably the only thing that I really don’t like about it because the navigation function is really handy when it works.
      The phone has a five mega pixel camera which is pretty decent. It has things like auto focus which is good and the ability to take numerous shots in quick succession, which seems pointless to me. I have an issue with the auto focus because it is very slow to respond, meaning that I have often missed the opportunity by the time the camera has decided to take the picture. The flash is decent enough, although it is digital so not brilliant. You can take front facing pictures so you can get that all important selfie, although the front facing camera is a pretty naff VGA one and it takes a distinctly grainy .
      I got this phone included in a fairly cheap pay monthly contract and I think you would be hard pushed to find a contract that doesn’t offer it for free. It is £99 for a sim free phone. I think this is pretty good value either way.

30.08.2015 22:06

Advantages

• "Good Storage"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• Uncomfortable

Goodish Cheap Divan

***What's Good About It?***

Well the first thing that drew us to it was the price. I think we paid less than £250 for it, which is incredibly cheap in the world of divans, beds and mattresses. In fact we have since found that double that price is about the price of an average mattress, so it is remarkably cheap. For that price, you get a divan base and a mattress, which means it is pretty good value for money too.

The second reason we picked this particular bed is that we wanted a divan base. in our bedroom we wanted two wardrobes and two bedside tables as well as the bed across the back wall. Our bedroom is fairly big, but all that furniture takes up a lot of space and means that there isn't a lot of room left over for the bed so we wanted one with a smaller footprint. A divan base seemed like the best option for us because it is only as big as the mattress. We also love the fact that it has plenty of space for storage in it. The base is completely hollow which means there is loads of room to store things. Also there is a sliding door at the foot of the base which means it is really easy to get stuff in and out.

***What's Not So Good About It?***

It is really cheap and so not the best quality to be honest. The mattress is not the most uncomfortable thing on the planet and i certainly wouldn't recommend sleeping on it long term. In fact we bought a new mattress for it pretty soon after we got it. It is probably OK to use as a spare bedroom mattress because it is good enough for one night here or there. It's probably alright to put in a student room if said student is going to be intoxicated more or less every night!

The cheapness doesn't extend to the actual base, which seems sturdy enough and has lasted the eight years we have had it and is still going strong, but it does extend to the door at the end which is a cheap and nasty cardboard affair, which has stood the test of time only because we are careful with it.

***Would I Recommend The Bed?***

The honest answer is yes, if you want a cheap and cheerful divan bed, but no if you want something comfortable. This is indeed cheap and is great for a new home or a spare bed as I have said, but I think you'd struggle to sleep on in for a long time. Having said that the amount of storage space the base offers makes it worth investing in.

• The Body Shop Satsuma Body Butter / Body Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.08.2015 22:01

Advantages

• "Good Moisturiser"

Disadvantages

• "Strong Smell"

Works Well But Smells Strong

I am not a big fan of The Body Shop in general because I think their products are often overpriced for what they are, I am however a big fan of their body butters and I have tried a million and one different flavours. I often buy them from outlet shops where you can buy five for fifteen pounds and you don't get to choose which flavours you get. That is how I ended up with this orange one, which is not one I would have chosen myself and probably isn't one I would choose again to be honest.

The butter does exactly what you would expect it to do, which is moisturise the skin well. The thing I like most about this range is that they are nice and thick and they feel really luxurious, which is no different with this one. It has a thick creamy consistency but it rubs in really easily and really well. I love that it is an all over body moisturiser but that it is gentle enough to use on the face, which is where I use it most frequently. A finger tip sized amount is enough for your face and I find that it lasts all day.

The butter is available in a 200ml tub for around £13 which is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but a tub will last you ages and ages even if you use it all over every day. I imagine that you will get fed up of the scent before you run out of it. Like I said though, if you are lucky enough to be close to an outlet store, you can usually get a good deal on them, especially seasonal flavours like this one.

As for the smell, it is definitely orangey. Actually I would say it is more mandarin scented, which might sound like I am being pedantic, but I think there is a big difference. I like it but I'm not blown away by it. The problem with these butters is that they are very strongly scented and the smell lasts all day, so if you pick one you don't like, it's bad news. Like I said this one is ok, but it not one I'll be picking again because it is a little too sweet and slightly too overpowering for me.

Overall I would recommend Body Shop butters because they are really good, but perhaps not this one unless you really like strong orange smells. If you are thinking of trying it, I'd suggest sampling a bit first and wandering around for a while with it on before going back and buying it.