doriee

Member since: 01.07.2011

• Lush Ultrabalm / Skin Care / 24 Readings / 23 Ratings
      26.02.2014 11:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

versatile product

When I bought my Lush legends gift set this was suppoed to have a 10g tub of this ultra balm inside, to my dismay mine was missing from my set. With that I emailed the manager of Lush Lincoln where I had purchased my item and was sent through to the Lush customer care where they replaced my missing items. When my package arrived they had sent full sized products rather then the ones that was supposed to be in the gift set with a few extra goodies too, my ultra balm balm ended up being a 45g tub with is considerably bigger than the 10g, yay. At first glace to me I just thought this was a lip balm and nothing more because I haven't read up about the product or hadn't even seen it before. Reading up before using it, Lush state this is a multi purpose balm which can be used for the lips, any dry skin areas, for lashes and eyebrows and for lining your hair line when dyeing your hair. I'll admit I haven't tested this out in all the areas it says it can be used but I have done a fair few. The ultra balm contains three key ingredients as to why it is so great and versatile, it includes rose wax, organic jojoba oil and candelilla wax. These ingredients are perfect for moisturising and this is a vegan alternative to paraffin wax. Candelilla wax can be found in other lip balms and creams to help sooth colds. Rose wax helps to soothe cracked skin and soothes skin irritations. Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory properties and is great as a moisturiser. These three ingredients altogether make a really versatile product that works extremely well and it's completely natural. When opening this product at first glace this seems just like a Vaseline type product, it is yellow in colour when the product is in the tub when when taking out a small amount on the finger it is more of a cloudy clear colour. I first used this on my lips, I dipped my finger int he top of this and rubbed it between two fingers and then proceeded to apply to my lips, this has a similar texture to Vaseline only I found that this was a little stickier and felt thicker whereas Vaseline is more compact in the tub and you have to rub it to get a sufficient amount on the finger. I really didn't like the feel of this on my lips and no matter how little I put on I always felt that I was putting too much on, that being said it did exactly as it should. My lips were softened and I did have a little bit of dry skin but that soon went after using this a couple of times so it really did moisturise them however I don't use this on my lips anymore because I just can't stand to apply it and wear it because I am a little weird. I have used this many other ways however, at work my hands can get very irritated what with all the different chemicals and various tasks I have to used my hands for and so far I haven't found a hand cream that would take the irritation and the itch away so i thought id give this a bash and it worked amazingly, I only used a tiny amount possibly and I worked the product all over my hands fingers balms and my wrists and this was where all the irritation is and it wasn't even a minute before the itch went away, my hands had been instantly soothed by this and it soaked in really quickly which meant I could just carry on with my work and tasks that had to be done. I have read that people are using this to style hair, to line hair for dying, for sore noses during a cold and other various things that involved cracked and irritated skin. Overall I think this product will last me a really long time as next to nothing is needed at any one time but I won't be using it on my lips, the only way I would use it is when my hands start to flare up but this is a really great product and one I will consider buying again when it is all gone.

25.02.2014 14:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

a strange great product

In January I purchased the lush legends gift set for £100 and the Turkish delight smoothie was apart of the collection. It's funny because at first I didn't know if this was to wash with or moisturise with, so I had to do a little research and soon realised that it was to wash with ha. The turkish delight smoothie is made with rose water which specifically comes from the petals of the damask rose. It also contains cocoa butter and some essential oils such as rapeseed, coconut, almond and neroli. The rose water has anti-inflammatory properties which make sit perfect for sensitive skin and the essential oils restore the skin, this makes for a great moisturiser at the same time as a body wash. The smoothie is light pink in colour with flakes are dark pink through it and this is really thick in texture. When first using I grabbed a big handful not knowing how much would be sufficient. When feeling it, it has a mousse like texture making it really pleasant and soft to hold. Rubbing this into my legs it looked like I was rubbing a lot of thick moisturiser on me, it took a bit of effort but this did end up lathering up which meant I could smell the rose even more which was lovely, as soon as rinsing this off my skinw as so soft and smooth to the touch even though I was in the bath. When getting out the bath my skin was super soft and smelt beautiful and I didn't feel the need to further moisturise at all. Overall this is a strange product with a strange texture to it yet it feels great using it and the smell it beautiful, it's safe to say this didn't last long as both my and my boyfriend ended up using it all within a few days because it was so good.

• Lush Charity Pot / Body Care / 12 Readings / 12 Ratings
        25.02.2014 13:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

not the best from lush

I'm not a die hard have to mositurise every day type person, I do it if I remember and if it isn't too cold when I get old the shower or bath or depending on the time of the day, so I don't really go around trying to test a lot of these of find out which one is the best because I don't pay too much attention too it. However in January in my Lush store visit I thought I would buy a charity pot which cost me just over £13 I didn't mind paying this because every penny excluding VAT goes to the charity which is displayed on the top of the pot. This charity pot is for hands and the body and is made with fair trade cocoa butter and floral scented essential oils. When opening this is quite a runny cream and not as thick as I would of liked it to be, it is also yellow ish in colour. The scent on cocoa is very distinct when smelling this as well as floral undertones but for me I can't smell anything specific other than cocoa, in my opinion this is fine by me as I love chocolatey scents in moisturisers and it's usually the only scent I would go for if I was to ever properly browse for a moisturiser. When using after my bath or shower I found this really runny and I would have to get it on to my skin as soon as possible before it dripped off my hands where as usually I would rub this in my hands and then apply to ym skin but this had to go straight onto my skin. Saying that due to it being so runny a little bit does go a long way. Its been almost two months of using this almost everyday and I've barely used any. Once on the skin the cocoa scent disappears almost instantly which I don't like at all, If I'm going to use a scented butter I'd usually except the smell to stay on my skin. I also found myself just stood there trying to find something to do in the bathroom while it took it's time to actually soak into my skin. When it was dry it was still difficult to get dressed without my clothes feeling all sticky and weird like my skin wasn't dry, but it was. Overall I am glad I spent the money on a charity and got a treat for myself of course, and it looks good in ym ever growing Lush collection however the scent goes really fast once on the skin and it takes ages to dry and afterwards just feels sticky, it does make my skin feel soft yes but there are other moisturisers a lot cheaper and much better than this.

21.01.2014 11:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

something I tired from the sales

In case you've just tuned into my latest reviews, I've had a lot of body shop vouchers mounting up to se for January as well as a very generous gift card for Christmas from my boyfriend. So I was ill one day, Being Ill+having money=internet shopping. It's a very bad thing to do but can't be helped. I went onto the body shop website and they had and still do have an offer on of spend £50 and get £25 off. I found myself adding random things into my basket just to make use of the offer, this product was in there. The 60ml version of this wa sin the sale for just £2 so I thought why not, I'll give it a try. However teh same conditioner wasn't in the sale which is odd so I bought another conditioner instead. This particular rainforest shampoo (as there are a varaiety) is for moisturising dry hair. I don't have dry hair, I have normal hair but like I said it was in the sale so why not. Upon opening the bottle I was quite disappointed because had no particular scent that I could even recognise, it was just a mash of ingredients that gave no distinct smell. The liquid gel colour was slightly yellow but that was about it. In terms of smell and appearance this was less than average and quite disappointing for the body shop, nevermind. When applying to my hair this never even lathered up, no bubbles were made when rubbing in like normal I had to really scrub my scalp to get any hints of bubbles, for me when it lathers up that's how I know it's working so this was different for me. I didn't even know if it was working. I soon stopped tryign to force bubbles and just rinsed my hair, to my dismay and weirdly while wet my hair so was matted and really dry even after applying rainforest volume conditioner, It was that knotted I darent brush it before drying. My hair is never that knotted so I wasn't happy. When dry which did take a while my hair to me did not feel how I expected. Usually I have baby soft hair because I take care of it, and this felt corse and hay like, it was horrid. I quickly shoved it into a bobble and went to get my hair cut. Although my hair dresser noted how soft my hair felt. Overall, this was cheap and I'm not happy with the product yet to other peoples hands my hair was really soft. Very odd product indeed.

• Lush Avobath / Bath & Shower / 28 Readings / 28 Ratings
        19.01.2014 21:42

Advantages

Disadvantages

a nice softening ballistic

The Avobath ballistic was an item which was added in with the Lush legends gift set that I bought. To my surprise this ballistic is really large in size as it fills my full hand and I struggle to hold it a little, and of course as seen by the picture this is bright green. This price is £2.45, this for one single bath use is a little steep so some people break theirs up to get more use out of them, I however got this as part of a set so didn't mind dropping the whole thing in to the bath me and my partner shared. The water turned instantly bright green as this whizzed about the bath, this looked really refreshing and vibrant which we couldn't wait to get it. The aroma of this is gorgeous, the smell is avocado and olive oil and this to me smelt like to old fizz sweets I used to have as a child. Through the whole bath the smell was very strong and obviously always there until some of their recent ballistics this never disappointed me with the scent. This ballistic is supposed to contain green glitter although I wasn't aware of this until afterwards and I did some research on it and I still don't recall ever seeing any, not even in the bath tub afterwards. This avobath is to help moisturise and soften skin. Later that night in bed I had my hand on my belly and noticed how smooth and soft it was, checking everywhere this was the only place that was really soft so it did work but not everywhere unfortunately. Over all this made the water pretty, it smelt amazing and did have softening affects, even though it was a part of a set I would go out of my way to buy this in future

17.01.2014 13:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

a cute phone case

I've had my Iphone 4S for just over a year now and yes I smashed the back and the front. But this was in December and I'm terrible with technology so I am quite surprised that The full phone hadn't broken much sooner than it did. Anyway in this time I've had a number of plastic phone cases that yes looked good but didn't do anything to protect my phone. I am extremely clumsy and the more I try to be safer the more clumsy I am. Since having my screens replaced by my excellent boyfriend I decided I should look for a case that's going to do something to help. Scrolling through the drop dead clothing website I saw a number of phone accessories available and this really jumped out at me, retailing at £15. This is now out of stock on the drop dead website but is available on many other websites that stock drop dead branded items. At that price it does seem a little expensive but when compared to other iphone cases it is about the right price. In design, I find this really cute and attractive. It's a melting ice cream design with googly eyes and a cheeky smile, whats more cute than that on the back of my phone. When it arrived the green is quite vibrant and noticeable which I loved. There are also small drips on the front of the phone case so not all the detail is just on the back of the case. My heart skipped a beat a little when it came to putting the phone in because originally I thought this was going to be a silicone case but it isn't it's plastic and the space to slide it in was too small for my phone to go in. When I realised that the black part of the case at the bottom slides off, your phone slides into the case and then the black casing goes back on. I thought this was a great and secure way of having a phone case, also previous plastic phone cases have been a nightmare to take off phone my phone normally they end up broken from me trying to get them off but I don't need to worry about it with this case. The only annoying thing about this case is that it is quite thick, so pressing the lock, sound and volume buttons can be quite tricky and when charging up I have to take the black part off other wise the charger isn't plugged in enough

17.01.2014 13:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

a product I wouldn't go out of my way to buy

The Yuzu and cocoa bubbleroon was apart of my giant Lush Legends gift set I purchased for myself just after Christmas as a giant treat. I had never even seen of one these in my life but apparently they only do three types of these, this being one of them of course. So I decided to run a bath and check it out, considering I didn't even know what this was or how to use it. This retails at just under £3 but I got mine as part of the lush legends that retails at £100. In solid form this looks like to two peachy rocks stuck together, this is supposed to resemble the treat macrons which I think it does quiet well, the bubbleroon is quite small in size and I'm not sure that I would of gone out my way to purchase this if it hadn't of been in my set already. I pre ran my bath and dropped this in, it didn't fizz up so I then knew it wasn't a ballistic, it wasn't soap and it also didn't foam up, I started to rub it a bit and bubbles started to appear I then came to the conclusion I had wasted my bubbleroon because it was supposed to be solid bubble bath and I never crumbled it up during the running of the bath, After rubbing it around and crumbling it up it did product some bubbles, but obviously not as many as the product was supposed to due to my own error. As for sent I don't Know what Yuzu actually smells like but I could certainly smell the cocoa scent in the water. This was nice as I really love cocoa smelling products. The water of this went quite a cloudy colour so it wasn't the most attractive bath water colour that Lush could of come up with. This bubbleroon is supposed to make you feel relaxed and to be honest it only gave me confusion as I failed to read up on the item before even using it. Overall it had a nice scent and If I had used it properly it could of been a really nice product.

14.01.2014 15:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

an ok face wash but not for that price

I'm not really a believer in face washes, creams and other products helping with reducing acne and other facial issues but since I was trying to make the most of the body shop's spend £50 get £25 off offer I thought I'd include some face wash. The body shop offer a full range from seaweed products from toners, face washes, moisturisers and clay masks. I didn't buy it all because like I said I don't think they even work. This normally retails at about £7 which I wouldn't normally pay for a face wash that doesn't exactly do what it is supposed too. This was recommended too me for combination skin but will also be suitable to people with oily skin. This product is supposed to improve skin complexions by reducing redness and balancing the skin out, oil wise. The packaging to me is very refreshing but not something that really makes a difference to me and I would of still bought it even if the packaging was a little different. When putting a little of this into the palm of my hand it is a clear and gel like with a thick consistency, which is good for me because I don't like really watery products. I use a little exfoliation brush (which is also purchased from the body shop) to use on my face along with the face wash. This product never latehred up on my face until I swirled it around with my little brush so already I don't have much of an opinion on this product. Smell wise it wasn't very fragrant which I also liked. Afterwards my face did feel smoothed but it seemed more red than before but I continued and applied moisturiser and after a while when it all dried and settled down my face had returned to it's usual redness colour. So far this product hasn't really made a difference to the way it looks but it has made it feel softer, something I feel any face wash can do.

12.01.2014 16:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

removes all make up and feels nice

In my body shop binge this January I thought Id get a few facial items, having used the seaweed moisturiser before I knew that it makes my skin feel silky soft. The seaweed is recommended to reduce redness and blotches on the skin and also skin condition that is oily or combination skin. I purchased this mainly to make the most of the offer the website have on at the moment which is spend £50 get £25 off. This originally costs £7.50. This toner is supposed to be used before using face wash and then moisturiser, I usually try and thoroughly wipe all my make up off before washing my face but sometimes some bits do get left behind. putting a few drops of this on a cotton pad. Wiping this around it does show you how much make up gets left on your skin but this bought it all off and left my skin really clean. This made my skin feel really soft and dried really quickly, but because only a few drops of this are needed this is really long lasting as well so the price for this is really justified. As far as reducing redness this hasn't done this so far so I'm not convinced.

12.01.2014 14:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

an awesome shower gel

Having purchased a lot of the body shop items over Christmas for other people I wracked up a fair amount of vouchers to use throughout January and my boyfriend got me a gift card to spend for Christmas too so I while I was ill the other day in bed I decided to do a spot of internet shopping. I managed to save my vouchers and my gift card however because at the moment they have an offer where when you spend £50 you get £25 off so I found myself adding things to my basket just so I could make the most of the offer. Individually this item costs £4 for a 250ml bottle. I shop in the body shop quite a bit and have accepted that their prices might not be the cheapest but I love their items and have the money spare to spent. I've never seen this on the shelf before and have recently discovered that this is a limited edition item that comes out every now and again. I've never seen this is Grimsby's body shop store and I basically added this to my basket just to make the most of the offer so I didn't really know what to expect of this product. This scent may not be for everyones liking but I love it. This smells very nutty, creamy and chocolaty. This reminds me of a tray of delicious chocolate that I could just eat, this genuinely smells good enough to eat. I use a netted scrunchy type bath product to wash with and I always try a small amount on this first to get the first lather, this lathered up really well without much effort and felt really smooth and silky when applied to the skin. The more I scrubbed the more I could smell the sweet chocolaty nut aroma rising up. Overall this left my skin smelling amazing and refreshed. This is a product I never knew about before but since buying it the first time I've gone back for more.

• Lush Soot Ball / Bath & Shower / 28 Readings / 27 Ratings
          11.01.2014 22:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

a ballistic I would use for decoration

This is the second edition of the Soot ball bath ballistic, a new and improved soot ball. Inspired by the anime series produced by Studio Ghibli, the soot balls are little creatures that are as described, made out of soot. These cute little creatures make an appearance in most of the movies which I am a big fan of so I got really excited when this was the first item I saw in the store. This wasn't too expensive it cost roughly £2. Appearance wise this is pretty accurate to studio ghibli's version of a soot ball, this is round is shape but nobly as well not a smooth round shape and has a pair of googly eyes glued on, these aren't very securely attached and they do come off really easily but they're fun all the same. Also when touching this does leave grey power on the hands but then again it does suggest that in it's name. When using this to my surprise it didn't send my bath a sludgy black colour, granted it was a little grey but I had a gold shimmer across the top, I did think it would be more glittery like employees suggested in the shop but I didn't mind too much the colour didn't put me off. Aroma wise I didn't smell too much, a hint of vanilla but this didn't stand out and wasn't an amazing bath experience for me. Over all I loved this due to what it was based on, it did afterwards leave a slight grey ring around the tub but it's nothing a quick clean didn't get rid of, there was no staining and it wiped off straight away. I would of cleaned my bath anyway so it isn't like I went out of my way to do it. I would still buy this again even if I just kept it for decoration for a while.

07.01.2014 13:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice mothers day present for the Lush lover

Whenever I go to Lincoln I make a point of heading intot eh Lush shop because I don't have one where I live in Grimsby unfortunately so I make a point of buying a bulk supply and one of them was this little creature. The style of this reminds me of a pumpkin but since this was from the mothers day range It's probably supposed to look like a face, but to me this looks like a pumpkin and of course the name goes with it too. This cost £3 which is a standard price for a bubble bar but this was quite small, usually I can cut these up in to three sections to get the most out of the bar but due to the size of this bar I didn't see much point in cutting it up at all. I suppose I could of got two baths out of this but I don't see the point in having a bubble bath with no many bubbles in so I used the full thing. I usually break these up and just drop them into the bath but they haven't been completely dissolving lately so I held and rubbed this under the running water. Due to the way I prepared this bath, the result was much more bubbly than I had expected which was amazing. As the bar dissolved fully I could smelly instantly the fruity scent of strawberry or raspberry, they're very close scents so I wasn't sure which one I could actually smell. The water also turned a really nice pinky colour. The bubbles in the bath were very soft and fragrant. This made for a really relaxing bath but provided no other qualities for me. It was just an average bath made out of a funny shaped pumpkin mum. While the bath was relaxing itself I like to get something a little extra such as a scent on my skin afterwards and this didn't make that happen however I don't regret spending the money that I did on this product.

07.01.2014 12:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

A product I won't purchase again

I always buy new products I very rarely keep using the same products just because I like to try new things and have a change around all the time. This Dior pencil retails at £16.50 which yes is very expensive for a crayon. It comes with a sharpener but most of us have a sharpener so it really doesn't make up for the price. I suspect that it's this price due to it being branded by Dior. This can be found at any shop like House of Fraser and Boots at their cosmetic counters or online. If you are buying from either of those shops you can get points cards for both stores so it may be £16.50 but you can get plenty of points for buying it which is possibly one of the only positive points about this product. The liner itself is more gel like than crayon like is suggested in the name. Crayons I have found when sharpened can be quick prickly at first touch and having sensitive eyes that isn't what I want to feel first thing in the morning but like I said to my surprise this is more gel like which makes it softer and easier to manipulate the types of lines, thickness and smudging effects. I never have a specific way of doing my eye make up, I just do whatever depending on how I feel on that day and to be honest it isn't that often that I wear crayon liners I usually wear liquid eyeliner but pencils are easier to out line the corners of my eyes and sometimes do faint lines under my bottom lash line. I found when applying under my lash line this went on quite smoothly but when doing the corners of my eye this didn't give a precise sharp line and I suspect this is due to the product being a squishy gel. Due to the nature of this product it means I have to sharpen almost every time before using it because the tip flattens so easily. In the end I gave up using it and ended up using it as an eyebrow pencil to help fill in my gaps because my eyebrows are so naturally dark this was perfect and it meant I wasn't constantly sharpening and binning £16.50 away really fast. With the exception of the points on the card and it becoming an eyebrow pencil, this products wipes off almost instantly with wet wipes, no fuss or mess and straight to a clean face however, I feel that as an eyeliner this product is pretty poor in comparison with other considerably cheaper brands and this isn't something I would put on my to get again list.

02.01.2014 21:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice shower gel

I'm a big lover of the body shop products and a big lover of fruity scented shower and body products. I've tried this shower gel many times before but over the Christmas season of 2013 the body shop have had a huge sale. Normally for a 250ml bottle of this is £4 but in the sale this was £3. Considering how small the bottle actually is it isn't very cost effective. They do all their shower products in larger bottles of 500ml and 750ml but I don't like to use the same scent shower gel for too long so I found that these sizes were too big for me so I always go for a 250ml bottle. When using shower gel I always wash with a flannel and not put the product straight on to my skin. I only used a grape sized amount to begin with and when I first opened the bottle the strawberry scent was very strong which was amazing to smell. This lathered up straight away without putting in too much effort to create bubbles. As I rubbed this everywhere it lathered up even more. I only had to use two grape sized amounts in one wash to finish my shower. This 250ml bottle will last me a couple of weeks but I still don't think this really justifies the price. I also doesn't leave a scent on my skin which is disappointing because I love fruity smells on me. Despite this, this shower gel was lovely to use and made me feel fresh, fully cleansed and feeling great so I will be using this product again

12.11.2013 00:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

a great piece in my wardrobe

I went to Meadowhell in Sheffield not long after I got my student loan. I meant to buy everyone's Christmas presents with it or at least that was my plan before actually receiving the money. It's always typical that when I don't have money I see everything I want and yet when I do have money there is nothing that I want. I spent the full day in Meadowhell and barely bought anything. I had a hat, a shirt and a few treats for my partner but that was it. One of the last shops we went in was River Island and by this point I was so fed up that I wasn't really looking anymore, just waiting time until my train came. On our way out of the shop my partner spotted this and I instantly loved it. This retails at £30 and is still available to buy. This to me looks very much like a gothic style of clothing. a definite Wednesday Addams kind of look. A look I quite enjoy! First of all this is a velvet playsuit. I didn't like who who velvet craze when It first came out but I have taken a liking to it recently and this is my third item purchased made of velvet. Because of the material it's nice and smooth to touch and has a really nice soft feel against my skin which doesn't rub or irritate me. Also this is a playsuit but at first glance it looks like a dress. I'm not a fan of baggy play suits like this normally I like properly fitted items but this has a waist belt that ties at the back which brings the middle in to reveal my shape. There's only a few problems I have with this item and they are that I'm quite chesty and I bought this in a size eight. This play suit buttons up down to the waist and at least once which wearing it a button around my chest will come undone which makes things a little embarrassing if the timing isn't too great and another thing is when I'm walking because the legs of this are baggy they ride up the inside of my thighs while walking and it's annoying because I'm trying to pull it down while still trying to walk and I just look silly. Apart from thsoe two little flaws I love this and I wear it on many occasions.