hlb2009

• Comments

Member since: 19.12.2010

• Rimmel Pencil Eye Liner / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.11.2014 21:51

Advantages

• "Nice colour"

Disadvantages

• "bit scratchy"

Very good

I love my eye liner and I have found that I have various likes and dislikes when it comes to which I like. I don't like liquid ones, I like pencils and I like them to be very sharp!

This eye liner is very good but a little bit scratchy which can make application quite painful which is never a good thing!

This eye liner is a basic pencil and you sharpen it using a special eye liner sharpener although I have used a normal sharpener before.

The pencil works best if it's sharp, as soon as it goes quite blunt then you can't get as good a line. I try to hold it quite close to the nib when drawing the line on my eye so to get good control, it stops the pencil from shaking at all so is a far better result. The crayon is nice and dark and comes away easily so you don't need to keep going over the same space over and over which can get sore.

Sometimes, however, the pencil feels scratchy as though the nib has something on it and this really hurts so I tend to always give it a little sharpen before using it to make sure it's as sharp as possible.

The eye liner looks really good as it's nice and dark and it has good staying power. It stays on my eyes all day and doesn't start to smudge- unless it's very hot.

I am very pleased with this and use it daily.

26.11.2014 21:05

Advantages

• "Really good"

Disadvantages

• none

great!

I don't use a nail file very often but when I do this is the one I use. My husband bought it a couple of years ago and it's really good. I used to buy the cheap cardboardy ones from Claire's and they were okay but would soon wear down. This we've had for several years and can still use it today.

It is metal and has a plastic part where you hold it. This is really good as it gives you something to grip which isn't raised so it's comfortable to use. I don't know about you but when I use my file I tend to grip quite hard so if I didn't have the handle to protect my fingers from the raised edges of the file then it would be very uncomfortable to hold.

The file itself is quite thick and ever so slightly rounded but only in a very slight way. I think this helps to shape your nails nicely. When I use this I find that I don't need to keep going back and forth back and forth over and over because it's really effective so usually just a few sweeps across the nail is enough to shape it. It's a good width too and the perfect length.

i find it very easy to use and it's great at shaping my nails nicely without leaving them looking odd!

It is definitely the best nail file I've owned, two years on and it's still going strong which is great! It only cost £1 too!

26.11.2014 18:23

Advantages

• "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't last"

Better than nothing

I have quite an active life- I do an hour's workout a day and I'm constantly running round after the children so I need a deodorant that works. This one, just doesn't work for me. It used to when I had my office job but not anymore!

This comes in various scents, the one I have is 'ocean' which basically just smells of freshness, I can't describe it in any other way! It's not really like the ocean, it isn't salty or anything!

It is easy enough to roll on, the ball moves smoothly and it's really moist so yo uget a lot on so you would expect it to work. It takes a few minutes to dry but I've never had any problems with any white marks or anything like that.

Sadly, it just doesn't work. Part way through the day I can feel myself feeling hot and wih other brands I wouldn't worry but with this I do, I know that I'm going to start smelling sweaty unless I reapply it. It's very odd as you would expect it to last longer than an hour or so but it doesn't and it has left me feeling like I can't rely upon it at all.

It is no good if your deodorant lets you down as it can lead to embarrassing situations so for that reason I have stopped using this, I didn't even run the bottle out and instead use something else. I guess it's better than nothing but it's really poor!

26.11.2014 12:01

Advantages

• "Really vibrant"

Disadvantages

• "bit powdery"

A lovely effect

I like to buy make up and make myself up when I go out for the evening and i like to bguy a variety of products so that I can achieve a particular look. I bought this because I thought it looked so bright and vibrant and thought it would make a really big impact, far different to the products that I normally have so it added something different to my make up case.

This comes in a little compact with a blusher brush. I really like the brush as it's flat and I find that this helps me to apply the blush to my cheeks. The way it's shaped makes moving it up your cheeks in a sweeping motion is really easy, you can create a good line with it. I like that it fits in the compact too so you don't need to carry around a brush separately.

Now the blush itself is really vibrant, it's raspberry pink and very bright so you don't need to put a lot on. I normally find that just one sweep across each cheek is sufficient and so for this reason it means that it lasts a long time!

The only criticism I can think of is that is it a little powdery so when I apply it it's very easy for it to end up on my chin when I don't want it to!

I do like this though as it's very lovely and I love the brightness of it, it creates a lovely effect

26.11.2014 08:20

Advantages

• "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "a bit heavy"

It's very good

I use this as my main shampoo and have for years. I like Pantene because it's very affordable, often able to purchase bottles for no more than £1 when they are on offer. They have various kinds of shampoo for all different hair types. When I am going for the smooth hair look this is the one I use. I do think there is a slight difference across the various types although it isn't hugely noticeable.

This comes in a tall white bottle, it doesn't look especially exciting but it's perfectly practical as you can stand it upside down when you need to get as much shampoo out as possbile when it begins to run out.

The shampoo is supposed to give smooth and sleek hair. I use an amount a little bigger than a 50p and massage it into my hair. I have very thick hair but I find this amount is enough. I lathers up really well and has a nice fresh smell about it. Just a 'shampoo' type smell, nothing really obvious.

It is quite difficult to rinse out as it feels heavy in my hair and kind of clings onto my hair so it takes quite a while. Then I blow dry it and it helps to create nice shiny hair. It does look smooth and it has a nice shine to it. Sometimes it makes my hair feel a little heavy though, it's quite a 'sticky' shampoo and I think that is why.

I like it and use it regularly.

25.11.2014 20:21

Advantages

• "So soft"

Disadvantages

• expensive

Very good

My grandma bought me this hair brush. I must admit that at first I didn't think it looked all that 'cool' and kept it in my drawer but now I've started to use it I can see why she bought it me- it's not all about how it looks but how it works and it's' great!

It's made with pure bristles and they're very fine. They're sharp too so sometimes I forget this and end up scratching my head with it so you need to be careful! I used to have a hairbrush which had plastic 'bristles' and I found that they tended to knot in my hair more and didn't really help but these pure bristles are so fine that they slip through my hair really nicely and oh my goodness they really help to make it shine! When I blow dry my hair and use this the result is lovely, my hair really shines and looks really smooth too.

It is quite a big brush and is rounded. I have thick hair and this brush just seems ideal for the amount that I have! It's quite light too so good for holding when I'm styling my hair, no achy wrists or anything.

I really like this, they are expensive, I've seen it for £46 which is an awful lot of money but my grandma bought it me as a special present and I can really see why she did. It is the kind of hairbrush which will last and last.

25.11.2014 15:14

Advantages

• "Helps remove make up"

Disadvantages

• "too moist"

Disappointing

I purchased these face wipes because I needed to buy some more and these looked like they would be fine. I thought that all face wipes worked pretty much the same way. I was disappointed with these though, they are so moist that they tend to leave my face feeling chapped and irritated rather than cleansed like they should do!

They come in a packet which has an opening at the top that you peel back and then stick back down once you have finished. This does need to be stuck back down too otherwise the wipes go dry, quite quickly too!

The wipes pull out supposedly one at a time but quite often they kept coming out in clumps which was very annoying.

When using these on my face I mainly use them to remove make up but I liked that it said they cleanse too as often I would use my cleanser after removing make up so I hoped this would kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately this was't the case. Although it did remove my make up, I found that these wipes are just too wet. They left my face feeling really wet and I had to keep drying it with a towel which I don't normally have to do after using other wipes.

My face became a bit chapped after using these too. I ended up just using these for general cleaning of the house in general rathr than on my body as they just irritated. Just 2 stars from me.

• The Body Shop Blueberry Body Butter / Body Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.11.2014 11:55

Advantages

• "lovely "

Disadvantages

• none

it works really well

I bought this body butter because it smelt lovely! I love going in The Body Shop and smelling all the goodies, it's always really tempting to buy more and more but the body butters last quite a long time so I have to restrain myself!

This one is blueberry and the smell is really sweet and natural. It smells very much like the real thing and it's not a really over powering smell either, it's actually quite subtle which makes a change.

The body butter comes in a round tub and you lift off the lid to reveal the body butter which is a lovely purpley blue colour. It is very dense like you would expect from a butter. It does get softer as it warms up in your hands or on your skin. I use this as a moisturiser after shaving when my skin may be feeling a bit dry. I scoop some out, about the size of a 50p and then massage it into my legs. It soon becomes softer and spreads across my skin nicely.

It smells delicious whilst doing so! It absorbs slowly so I tend to do this when I have a bit of time on my hands as other wise I'd have to put clothes on and it would be a bit sticky against my clothing.

I find that when I use this it's really nice and my legs feel nice and soft. Not at all rough.

This is a great product that works really well

• Boots Soltan Spray SPF50 / Sun Care / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      24.11.2014 21:15

Advantages

• "Really works"

Disadvantages

• none

reliable

I am very fair and I burn very quickly in the sun, just 10 minutes and I'm looking like a lobster so I always purchase high SPF sun tan lotion and have to keep reapplying it so the easier it is apply the better.

I bought this because it was really good value for money but because it is a spray too as that is always a lot easier to use.

When applying this I tend to put it on about 10 minutes before I'm due to go in the sun. I use it on the children too. You press the nozzle down and it sprays out, it doesn't spray far and it does kind of end up all over the floor so I tend to make sure it's as close to the body as possible to stop it from being too messy.

Then I spread it on. So yes my hands still get greasy but it's not as messy as when you squeeze it out of a bottle and it goes all between your fingers. It rubs in easily and it just seems easier than when you squeeze it out.

The smell isn't anything specific, it has a slight smell which is just of sun tan lotion nothing extra, no fragrance or anything like that.

It works really well. When I wear this I don't burn and it doesn't rub off onto clothes. It doesn't taste nice though so be warned if you have it near your mouth!

I frequently reapply it but it's good, I really like this product, it's very reliable

24.11.2014 16:56

Advantages

• "nice colour"

Disadvantages

• "bit streaky"

It is good

I don't use fake tans I prefer to use these moisturisers that provide a bit of colour. I find that they tend to look more natural.

I usually use a different brand but this was on offer last summer so I decided to buy it. I wanted to add a bit of colour to myself before a wedding.

The idea is that this product should be applied daily and it will gradually build up a tan. I had the wedding on a Saturday so on the Wednesday night I started to use it. I find the evenings the best time to apply so that you can let it fully absorb without any chances of it rubbing off on clothing.

It squeezes out of the bottle easily and you rub it in all over. I use about a 10p size on each leg and make sure it is well rubbed in, especially around the knees as this is where it tends to get streaky if you're not careful.

Every evening I would reapply it and I noticed after day 2 that my skin started looking a little darker. It was quite a natural colour too which went with my skin tone fine. I definitely noticed that my skin was nicely moisturised. The only problem with this is that it does have streaks easily, I had a streak up the back of my leg even though I had been really careful whilst applying.

The tan starts to fade if you don't apply it every day so after the wedding I noticed by the MOnday I was beginning to look a little 'mucky' so kept my legs covered up. By the Tuesday it was pretty much all gone.

It is a good product but can be streaky.

24.11.2014 13:29

Advantages

• "helps skin be hydrated"

Disadvantages

• "so oily"

It's OK

I like to put lotions and potions on my body and hope that it is doing something effective but I don't like to pay big prices. I saw this on offer for just £4 last year so I purchased it hoping for beautiful holiday legs!

This comes in a round bottle with quite a big screw cap. It is a orangey yellow colour and has a blue lid. The liquid is just like oil. It's really greasy but the plan is to rub it into your body and it should help to firm you because of the ingredients.

I find it very hard to apply. I don't want to put it on my hands first then rub it in because it's so oily but there really isn't much choice because it just pours out of the bottle. It would be much better for it to be a spray instead I think.

Once on my skin I rub it in and I feel like I need to keep adding more as it doesn't go a long way. It gives my skin a shine that's for sure!

It's really hard to get it off my hands afterwards. It requires lots of soap and I really hate how it makes my hands feel.

In terms of my legs they are really greasy and so I can't put clothes on or sit down for about 10 minutes until it soaks in.

I think it helps my legs to look healthy and keep them nice and moist, no dry skin here! But it certainly doesn't firm and I really dislike how oily it is.

• Tesco Sun Cream / Sun Care / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
      24.11.2014 08:44

Advantages

• "Works ok"

Disadvantages

• "takes ages to absorb"

ok

I have fair skin so I always use high factor sun cream, 30+, anything below that and it's pointless as I just burn. I bought this one from Tesco's because it was half the price of the others.

It came in a bottle which has a little flip cap and then you squeeze it out. The lotion is white and really quite runny, it is so easy to get more than you need out so you have to be careful. It doesn't have a specific smell, if anything it's just your standard sun tan lotion smell with nothing extra added to it.

When rubbing it in it's easy enough to spread around your body but it takes ages to absorb, it kind of sits on top of your skin for ages which leaves you looking really pale. It's not a good look!

It does seem to protect from the sun well. I found that this was just as good as any other brand that I have bought before. I didn't burn. I did regularly apply it.

ONe thing though, it doesn't appear t obe very water proof. I know they always say to reapplly it after being in water anyway but this one seemed to rub off really easily when you just as much as wash your hands so be aware of that.

I think it's an OK product, worth the price and definitely nothing too bad. So 4 out of 5 stars for me. I would buy it again.

23.11.2014 22:01

Advantages

• removes

Disadvantages

• "takes a while"

It's OK

I don't often wear nail varnish as I paint for a living so my nails are usually hidden under paint! But when I do paint them I require a good remover for when they start to chip. I bought this from Asda as it was really cheap and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I wouldn't use very often.

It comes in a really plain bottle but I don't need anything fancy, this isn't for show! The bottle opens by unscrewing the lid and then you pour out the liquid onto cotton wool. The opening is quite big so you have to be careful else you can end up with far too much all over the place! I tend to put cotton wool onto the opening and then tip the bottle up so it soaks into the cotton wool.

I then smooth it over my nails. I have to apply quite a lot of pressure and move it slowly. I find that it takes quite some time. It needs quite a lot on the cotton wool too so it's almost saturated and then that has the best effect. My hands get really wet and messy using this. It isn't the best I've used as it t akes so long.

I find that when I have a dark colour on my nails it seems to take a lot longer too.

Although it does work eventually it isn't the best one out there. 3 out of 5 stars

• Boots Basic Cotton Wool / Make Up / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      23.11.2014 21:22

Advantages

• "very useful"

Disadvantages

• none

great

We use basic cotton wool balls from Boots regularly. They are very practical. We tend to use them for a variety of reasons but mainly myself for removing make up.

The cotton wool balls come in a plastic packet which fastens with a string tie at the top. It is quite a bulky pack but I can't see how else it could be packaged really. It takes up quite a bit of room in the bathroom cabinet but sometimes we just empty it out into a little pot instead.

The balls are really good and chunky, about 4cm x 2cm and they're really dense. Despite being the basic range, they are really dense, sometimes cheaper ranges of cotton wool balls mean you get less cotton in your ball which makes it easy to rip and just be really flimsy but not with these!

I use these to remove my make up, I add my make up remover cream and use it to wipe away make up. It is really good for this as it's soft but it also is firm too, no bits of cotton wool coming off in wisps here! We also used these when our little ones were babies and needed them to help wipe them during a nappy change. They are so soft and gentle it is ideal for a young baby.

These are great, sometimes basic ranges can be so poor but this isn't the case with these. We've used several brands but this is the one we prefer.

23.11.2014 20:13

Advantages

• "looks good"

Disadvantages

• "hard to apply"

not great

I like wearing eye liner and I wear it on a daily basis. When I am going out for the evening I like to apply a little more than normal and sometimes using a liquid eyeliner gets a better effect. I bought this one but unfortunately it is really quite messy and very difficult to apply. ONce you have got it on though it looks good.

It comes in a little pot. You screw off the lid and lift out the wand which is attached to the inside of the lid. The brush is very narrow but quite long, it would be much better if it was shorter as this would give better control making it easier to apply.

The liquid is jet black and when you apply it you just run it along your eyelid. It is best to do this in one action rather than lots of little strokes as this gives it the best line. It is then best to keep your eye part closed for a few minutes whilst it dries. If you don't do this then the liquid rubs off onto the upper eye and it looks mess.

i find it difficult to apply, it often ends up being a wavy line rather than a straight, smooth one because it is so hard to keep my hand completely still. If it ends up in my eye it really stings too.

It looks good if I ever manage to get it on correctly but it's a shame that it just takes so much effort to get it to look nice!