jimmychoogirl

• Comments

Member since: 08.01.2010

• Nars Blush Orgasm / Make Up / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      11.09.2015 16:04

Advantages

• "Beautiful colour"
      • "Blends perfectly"
      • "High quality"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Orgasm Blush

I have been a fan of NARS products for a few years now and although I am not a fan of their mascaras, I am a huge fan of both their eye shadows and their foundations so this time upon finding myself yet again at a Nars counter I decided to try out one of their blushes. I personally tend to find myself opting for slightly darker peach/ pink blushes during the autumn/ winter months as I find theses suit my skin tone best and the one that I decided to purchase was the one named 'Orgasm'. This is actually one of Nars' most popular blushes and therefore I had quite high hopes for it. You may have noticed the name- almost all of the Nars blushes (and products in general) tend to lead towards a name with a sexual nature, which can be slightly controversial but if you can get past the names there are some truly lovely products.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
      Their powder blushes are priced at £23 (6grams), which does seem very expensive for a blush, especially as I had never previously owned a 'high end Nars' blusher and I think the most I had ever spent on one before was £8! The price tag does make it more of a treat product or something to pop onto a birthday or Christmas wish list as I know the majority of us portably don't have a spare £23 just for a new blush!

NARS products are available from NARS counters, as well as their online store. NARS counters can be found in some large department stores, though often there will be only one NARS counter per area, so where I live House of Fraser have it. It can obviously also be purchased onljne at House of Fraser and other larger department stores online and can often also be found on eBay; though please be careful when purchasing on here as there are often a lot of fakes around. Nars is also often sold in SpaceNK which specialises in luxury make up and skincare.

I'm pretty sure there is something like 30+ different shades to choose from, so there is more than likely going to be one that takes your pick. These range from soft pinks and lavenders to peaches, to deep browns and reds. The blushes also come in different finishes too, which is great if you suit more towards a matte or glowy finish. If you are unsure on what colour suits you best then there are often people around that are willing to help you, luckily every person that has served me in the past has been really lovely and happy to help so I am yet to be out off. Though some of my friends have had different encounters where the sales assistants can sometimes be rude and very pushy for a sale, but on the most part I would say that they are very helpful and will certainly help in your decision in picking a shade.
      One thing I have found with most NARS counters is that every shade is not always available- for some reason the NARS counters around where I live all tend to be quite small and tend to only stock the cult classics, therefore it is definitely worth checking out the Nars online store in order to see the full range.

I decided on 'Orgasm' which is described as a peachy pink with golden shimmer.

===~~Packaging~~===
      Alike all NARS packaging, the design of this is very simplistic which I pretty much iconic for NARS packaging. It comes in a small, black compact which opens up to reveal the blush in the bottom pan and a small mirror in the lid. The Nars compact itself is made of a soft touch black material, although this means it sits very comfortably in your hand and feels nice to hold I do find that it gets incredibly dirty quickly and due to the material is very hard it clean. To me this isn't a huge deal though personally I think it would have been better if it had come in a material that could have easily been wiped down clean. The packaging itself is very robust and strong, I find that once it has clicked shut you are good to go and I have never had any problems with the product opening or smashing in my make up bag.

===~~Applying the Blush~~===
      I applied the blush the same way I would any other blush, by using a brush. I was pleased to see that powder transferred well onto the brush and did not seem chalky or too powdery at all. I only had to swirl my brush in the blush a few times to pick up a decent amount, unlike some other brands where I have almost had to dig my brush into the blush to pick up any product.

To apply the blush felt very silky and extremely lightweight, which is what I particularly liked about it. I'm not a fan of cream blushes in general, so the fact that this was a very light, soft powder really suited me. I found that the blush was extremely highly pigmented and one small 'swirl' of the brush in the blush gave me more than enough product and a little really did go a long way. In most cases I found myself having to tap any excess of the brush before applying as otherwise the colour would be far too intense on my cheeks due to the high pigmentation of this blush. I think this may be due to the fact it is a fairly darkish peach pink toned colour and had it if been slightly paler I may needed to have built it up a bit more. I found that the powder applied well from the blush to my cheek and was pleased to find that it had no fallout, which I think is mainly due to it being a buttery powder consistency opposed to have it of been a chalky one. I found that it was very easy to build up the colour to the intensity I liked, though due to the high pigmentation of the brush it was also very easy to apply 'too much'. When having done this I found it very easy to correct I found it very easy to correct by simply blending out with a clean blush, due to the buttery like consistent I was able to blend away the excess blush with minimal effort.

===~~The Results/The Shade~~===
      I was very pleased with the results of the blush, it was very much an ideal shade to me as it as not too dark and intense that it looked liked I had done my make up in the dark and neither was it too pale so that it looked like it had washed me out. What I particularly liked is that this blush suits almost any make up look, whether I am going for a real natural look or an all out smoky eye as I find it adds just the right amount of colour. I've also found that it stays in place all day and does not fade at all like some other blushes I have used have tended to do. I find that it lasts equally as well on top of powder or liquid foundation and feels lightweight on my skin all day.

The shade itself is a beautiful soft pink peach colour, which has some very very fine gold shimmer/glitter like metallic particles in it which gives it this ever so slight sheen on your cheeks. I particularly like that the shimmer particles in this are gold rather than the normal silver or iridescent colour as I find the gold tone really compliments the peach in the blush and actually gives a more natural 'glow' once applied. This only happens when it hits certain lights and I find this can look very youthful and glowy, yet at the same time natural. That being said, it is by no way obvious and is ever so slight. I personally think that this is a great all year round blush as it gives a lovely dewy glow in the summer and really reflects in the sun light, and in the winter the slightly underlying berry toned peach does well to put some colour back into the skin without it looking to dark or intense. Due to this I can see it suiting a very wide range of skin tones and it flattering them all, regardless of age. I have just turned 21 and love the fact that this blush make me skin look healthy and more awake, yet my Mum is over 20 years older than me and also loves this blush as she believes it makes her skin look more youthful and dewy, so can really see this suiting a wide audience.

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall I have been thoroughly impressed with this blush and would definitely recommend it. I believe that due to the fact there is no fallout when using it and it is very well pigmented it will last me a long time, making it a little better value for money. Although it is hard to justify spending £23 on a blush alone, in this case I think it may just be worth it as I have been pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the product. The fact that there is such a wide range of shades available really does mean that there is likely to be a shade to suit everyone (although I think this shade alone will suit a wide range of people!), even if the vast majority of them makes it a little difficult to choose just one! I definitely think that there are similar products on the market for a fraction of the price, (just a heads up - Sleek cosmetics do a great alternative to this - I think the shade is named Rose Gold!) nonetheless due to the fact I really love how this shade looks on my skin I would definitely repurchase and recommend this blush!

07.09.2015 13:49

Advantages

• " stays matte"
      • " affordable"
      • "Lasts a long time on the skin"

Disadvantages

• "Can look cakey is skin is dry"

L'oreal Infallible Foundation!

I am one of those people that are constantly on the look out for the next best thing when it comes to make up, in particular when it comes to foundation. Over the years I have tried many different foundations and although some of them have come very close I am still yet to find the one I find myself constantly reaching for or returning to. That being said, I am a huge fan of the L'Oreal foundations, in particular the True Match foundation, so when there latest edition 'Infallible 24H- Matte' was released I figured I had to give it a try.

===~Price and Availability~===
      This foundation comes in at under the £10 mark at £7.99 for a 35ml tube (therefore getting slightly more foundation than the average 30ml tube) making it one of L'Oreal's most affordable foundations. Alike most high street make up items this can also often be found on offer, such as the likes of 3 for 2.

Due to this being a high street foundation it can be found in the likes of Boots and Superdrug, along with their online stores. L'oreal can often also be found at many different retailers online and is also available at some pharmacies and larger supermarkets.

The packaging for this foundation is definitely not the prettiest, with it being in a squeezy plastic tube, though this having been said I actually find the packaging to be very practical. The thin nozzle and squeeze tube allow for greater control when squeezing out the desired amount of foundation and meaning that the chance of any waste is lesser.

===~Applying the Foundation~===
      I apply all my foundations, regardless of the consistency with a brush or sponge and therefore did exactly the same with this foundation. This foundation is fairly liquidy, though is by no means runny and does keep it's pea like shape when a blob is squeezed onto the back of my hand. The first thing I noticed when applying this foundation onto my face was the texture, it actually did feel quite thick and did not have a silk like feel like some foundations do. I have blended this foundation out with both a make up brush and sponge and find that it blends out pretty much the same with both tools.

Due to the slightly liquidy consistency I did find this foundation very easy to blend out and it did feel soft and smooth when blending it out across the skin. Though one thing I did find, which I think is most likely due to the fact that it is a matte foundation, is the fact that it 'sets' very quickly on the skin, therefore making it harder to blend out and achieve an even coverage. Due to this I find it easier to concentrate on blending out different areas of the face at a time/ working on each side of the face separately as this way it allows me more time to blend the foundation into my skin before it has time to set.

I have applied this foundation both with the 'L'Oreal Mattifying Base' having already been applied and also without. Personally I do not not notice a huge difference when applying the foundation, though it does make the foundation ever so slightly easier to blend out and I find that the foundation doesn't set quite as quickly with the primer applied first. I have also found that wig the primer being applied the foundation doesn't stick to any dry patches should I have any (which I have found it to do if no primer has been applied) and therefore does also create a smooth canvas for the foundation to be applied on.

===~Results~===
      I really loved the way this foundation on my skin. It is true to its word in that it is very matte, I have fairly oily skin so I am a huge fan of matte foundations, though if you have dry skin this make not work so well for you as it is a foundation that clings to dry patches and at times can look a little cakey. As previously mentioned, this foundation dries almost immediately on the skin therefore feels very comfortable to wear throughout the day and it does not feel tacky or oily in anyway. Surprisingly, it actually felt incredibly lightweight skin and although I could still feel that I was wearing make up it did not give me that heavy or caked on feel that some foundations do.

This foundation is designed to be full coverage and I have to say that I agree with that. The foundation itself is very highly pigmented, meaning that not only does a little go a long way, but also allows for good coverage. I do find that you need to build up the foundation a little to get the 'full coverage' however this is easily done and I do not find the foundation looks too heavy or cakey when doing this. My only gripe with this I foundation is that if I do have any slight dry patches that the foundation can cling to these areas and can look a little cakey in these areas if I try to build up he coverage.

Due to it being high coverage I also find that sometimes it is enough to just wear this foundation alone, with no added concealer, which is something very unusual for me. I find that the high coverage hides and conceal many of the imperfections on my face or any scarring I have on my face.

I have worn this foundation both with and without the primer and have to say that I do fine it fairs better when worn with primer. I find that it keeps the foundation looking matte for longer, meaning I have to touch it up less and also keeps if looking newly applied for longer. This foundation claims to have 24h wear and personally I have never and probably never will wear my foundation for this amount of time, this being said I find that this foundation lasts a good 8-10 hours in the skin with minimum touch ups needed. I find that it doesn't fade in any areas and neither does it become patchy looking, I can just sometimes become ever so slightly shiny in my T-Zone.

===~Overall~===
      Overall, I love this foundation and would definitely recommend it . I love the fact that I can achieve a full coverage with this foundation, yet it still feeling comfortable and fairly lightweight to wear on the skin. The fact that a little goes a long way makes this foundation even better value for money considering the fact that it costs just £8 and the fact that it can often be found on offer. The only slight downside to this foundation is that I sometimes find it slightly hard to find an exact colour match, there are a few different shades of this foundation, though sometimes I find them to be too pink toned or too orange toned for my skin, so I would recommend taking your time when it comes to choosing a shade of this foundation.
      I have been using this foundation for a few months now and am still enjoying it just as much as when I first purchased it and think it will be a foundation that I will continue to purchase.

07.09.2015 13:45

Advantages

• " often on offer"
      • " nice colour range"
      • Affordable

Disadvantages

• " shine doesn't last"
      • " fades"
      • "Hard to apply"

Shooting star!

I am currently working as a free lance make up artist and to me one of the most important things when completing a look is that of the lips, this can be something as simple as finishing off with a pale nude or pink to adding something more intense such as a vibrant red or purple. Due to this I seem to have accumulated stacks of lip products ranging from balms to stains to glosses to lipsticks, though the most recent one I have added to my collection (despite it being out a couple of years) is that of a Rimmel Apocalips. The idea behind this lip product by Rimmel is that it is meant to have both the intensity and lasting power of a lipstick, yet have the shine of a lip lacquer. (There is also a matte range now available). They are also meant to feel creamy and comfortable to wear, I picked up two shades, one being Big Bang and the other shade that I shall be basing this review on 'Shooting Star'; a nude pink shade.

===~~Price and Availability ~~===
      These lip lacquers are normally priced between £6-£7, costing £6.49 in Boots. This being said, the brand Rimmel is often on offer such as 3 for 2 or buy so much and get a free gift worth so much free, so you can often pick them up a little cheaper. They are currently on offer in Boots (24/08/15) where if you buy not of these Apocalips at full price you can purchase another at half price.

Alike most highstreet brand make up, these can be purchased from the likes of Boots and Superdug. I have also noticed that my larger Sainsburys and Asda stores also stock Rimmel products and have also noticed them at some Lloyds pharmacies, as well as many online stockists so they are very widely available. I think there are around twelve shades on offer and they range from pale mauve, sand nudes to more intense purples and reds, so if the colour Shooting Star doesn't take your fancy, there may be another that does!

===~~Applying the product~~===
      The first thing I noticed when applying this lip lacquer was actually the scent and I must say, I am not a fan of it. Although I wouldn't go as far as saying I dislike it, it is definitely not what I was expecting and is not what I would have liked. It is a fairly intense slightly fruity/floral scent - it vaguely reminds me of YSL lipsticks, however is much more overpowering. Luckily I found that the scent didn't last long at all and once I had applied it to my lips I could barely smell it any longer. This being said I do know some people that love the scent of this lop lacquer so think it is all down to personal preference and personally I prefer a vanilla or mint scent with lip products.

This lip lacquer has a small, slightly pointed sponge applicator. There is also a hole in the middle of this which collects the product so you have enough to apply to your lips without having to keep putting the applicator in the tube. In actual fact I found this hole in the sponge that collected the product made it very hard to apply the lip lacquer. I have found that it actually stores too much of the product so when first applied to the lips you are left with a big blob of it to blend out, which due to the fact these lip lacquers are highly pigmented any slight mishap, even with a nude like colour such as Shooting Star is very apparent. Unfortunately I have found that even when trying to wipe off some of the excess product on the side of the tube, I am still left with too much when it actually comes to applying. Due to this I find it extremely difficult to keep the product within the lines of my lips and therefore find it hard to keep it looking neat. I have found that it is far easier to apply of I line my lips with a lip liner beforehand as this almost works as a 'guide' for me. This being said I am now near the end of the tube and have found that is now collected just the right amount of product, it still collects in the whole of the sponge but not so much that it is hard to apply.

Despite this, the lip lacquer itself was incredibly soft and creamy and almost had a velvet like texture and because of this I found it easy to blend across the lips. The colour does come out extremely pigmented, however I do find it almost 'sets' on your lips and for this reason I do find myself having to work fairly quick with it to ensure the lips are fully covered before it does set.

I have now got used to this product and do find it a little easier to apply and have actually found the best way is to simply use a lip brush in order to get the desired amount of the product, rather than using the applicator provided. That being said, I definitely own similar products to this lip lacquer which are far easier to apply and for this reason I am fairly disappointed in the application for this product.

When applying the lip lacquer originally comes out a soft pink colour, which is fairly nude but definitely more pink than nude. When applying the pink is fairly soft and pale, but is not so pale that it washes me out or makes me look ill.

===~~Results~~===
      Despite being disappointed with the application for this product, I really did like the way it looked on my lips. Once the lip lacquer had 'set' on my lips, the colour was slightly different to how it had looked when I was originally applying the lip lacquer. It seemed slightly more nude/brown toned once set rather than the being more pink toned as it looked when applying. This being said, it still had some pink tones to is and therefore looked like a very natural, nude soft pink colour and was actually very flattering and I can imagine it suiting many different skin tones as it wasn't a pale or skin toned nude. It did not look patchy at all on my lips and instead looked incredibly even, despite the great difficulty I had had in applying it. As previously mentioned I found that it almost set on my lips, meanings that once applied it doe not smudge or move. In all honestly, I do not believe it to have the shine of a gloss, it was a little shine to begin with, however I found that this was very quick to wear off and I was left with neither a matte nor shiny nude lip. The first hour or so of it being on the lips it did have a very high shine, gloss like finish to it, however after a period of time on the lips although the colour did not fade or feather at all, it did definitely lose its lacquer like shine that it claimed to have throughout the wear of this lip product. This didn't bother me too much as I actually preferred the way it looked once the shine had worn off, nonetheless if you are looking for a high shine nude pink colour that remains high shine all day then this is most likely not the one.

I have found this to be a very long lasting lip product and it stays on my lips for a good four/ five hours before I feel the need to reapply. I find that I tend to get at least a good four hours of wear before or if it begins to fade slightly. This being said, I find that even when it is fading it fades very evenly and does not leave my lips looking patchy, therefore sometimes I do not even feel the need to reapply. If I do not reapply after this length of time I tend to find it stains my lips with a very natural looking flush of pink colour that is no way intense or unflattering.

It feels very comfortable on the lips and is not sticky at all like a gloss would be. I have found that the creamy texture of this lip lacquer doesn't last for too long on this lips, and can become ever so slightly drying after a long period of wear. I find that if I simply apply a little bit of Vaseline or something similar over the too of the lip lacquer once it becomes dry then I find this leaves my lips feel hydrated and comfortable once again.

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall I really sit in the fence with this lip lacquer. I really like the way it looks on my lips and the fact that it is long lasting, though the amount of time it does actually take me to apply it and go over it in order to make it look prefect I do wonder whether it is all worth it. The fact that it is affordable and often on offer means that I may be tempted to buy another one, though it is not a product I know that I definitely want to repurchase. I also feel that it is not completely what it advertises to be, in that the shine of this lip lacquer only lasts for a minimal time I find and although I did actually like the end results, it is still a little disappointing. I have also found all the difficulties I have had with this shade I have also had with the two other shades I own (in contrast both being very bright, vivid shades) Big Bang Stellar. Therefore I don't think that the fact that this lip lacquer lost it's shine or fades on my lips is due to it being a nude colour and is instead to do with the formulation of the actual product. Overall I am a little disappointed in this product, though cannot say that I hate it, it is not without it's faults and I did have higher expectations for it and for that reason I am undecided as to whether I would recommend it.

17.08.2015 18:19

Advantages

• " bristles are comfortable"
      • " easy to apply"
      • "Gloss like finish"

Disadvantages

• " lashes don't grow"
      • "Can smudge"

Luscious mascara!

I am a self confessed mascara junkie, I often have numerous different tubes on the go and am always on the lookout for something 'better'. The latest mascara that I have added to my collection and been trying out is that of the Revlon 'Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara'. Upon purchasing this mascara, I had not actually heard anything about it and only picked it due to when spending a certain amount on Revlon makeup you receive a free mascara, so I entirely had no idea what to expect from this mascara, other than the fact it was a mascara designed to both lengthen and plump/volimize the lashes. It also claims that is has a 'grow luscious' lash enhancing formula in it which is meant to work with your natural lash growth cycle to help them grow longer and healthier.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
      This mascara is currently placed at £9.99, though is also on offer at Boots stores. The Revlon range is currently on 3 for 2, this mascara is included in that deal as of 09/07/2015. I don't normally tend to spend over £8 on a high street mascara as personally I think there are many great mascaras that cost less than this on the market, so I was very interested to see whether I thought it was worth it's almost £10 price point.

Alike many Revlon and high street branded make up this mascara is available in the likes of Boots and Superdrug, along with their online stores. Revlon products are not also being stocked in some pharmacies, along with the larger supermarket stores such as Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys.

I actually really like the packaging of this mascara, though I know it won't be to everyone's taste. It has a metallic like finish to the bottle and is in shades of greens and teals, which I personally think looks quite pretty and is slight different to the normal black tubes. Nonetheless I know that some people would argue it looks childish and young, so it really is up to personal preference, and after all, it's what inside that counts!

===~~Applying the mascara / the brush~~===
      The wand itself is what I call a bristle brush; meaning that it is not a plastic brush. I personally usually prefer these styles of wands/brushes as I find they coat my eyelashes more evenly and find the mascara in general a whole lot easier to apply. The brush itself is fairly large and the bristles are all evenly distributed in length. Unlike some other mascaras there are no 'multi sides' to this brush where there are different bristles for different uses on either side of the brush. That being said the bristles to get slightly smaller as you get to the end of the wand, which allows for easier access when applying to inner and outer corner lashes.

When applying the mascara the first thing that I noticed was it's consistency. It was fairly thick, but surprisingly was not so in a 'gloopy' was and in fact was very smooth to apply. The bristles are comfortable on my lash line and eye lashes and not at all spiky or uncomfortable when applying. The mascara seemed to evenly coat my lashes and never seemed to clump them when applied. Due to the fairly large size of the brush I found it easy to coat almost all my lashes with just one stroke of the wand. The smaller bristles were really great for making sure I had coated the inner lashes too, to make sure all my eyelashes were covered. Once thing I did notice about this mascara however, was that it is fairly 'wet' meaning that until the mascara has dried it is prone to smudging. I especially found this when applying to my bottom lashes as found it left little small dots underneath my eyes where my lashes had touched the skin there. Therefore I do find that I need to take a little more care when applying this mascara, that being said almost all the smudges were very easily removed after with just a cotton bud.

I have found that I can easily apply 2-3 coats of this mascara to create me desired look without it clumping or looking spidery. I do find that when applying more coats it does take even longer to dry though, meaning that there is a higher risk of it smudging.

===~~Results~~===
      I was actually really pleasantly surprised with the results this mascara achieved. As previously mentioned, I have gone through many tubes of mascaras, very few of which I have/ will repurchase, but can honestly say I would repurchase this mascara. My eyelashes looked considerably lengthened and thicker, yet at the same time were defined, meaning that they were not all clumped together to form a few eyelashes. I also really liked the finish of this mascara, it was almost gloss like (I purchased mine in the black colour) and therefore stayed looking newly applied all day. The black colour was also a deep, rich black colour and was not the off black colour I have had previously with some mascaras.

I found that once the mascara had set it stayed in place all day on my lashes with no smudging. It didn't begin to flake throughout the day and neither did it irritate my eyes. Some mascaras I find that I need to reapply throughout the day as it kind if wears if, but was pleased to find that this was not the case with this mascara. I have even worn it to the gym on several occasions and found that it did not smudge or flake here, despite the fact that is is not waterproof.

Although I really love this mascara, I do not agree with the claim that is has helped my lashes to grow or appear thicker or healthier in anyway. I have been using this mascara for around 6-8 weeks news, in which time I think I would have noticed a difference if there was going to be one. Personally, I was not expecting it to do so anyway as I don't really believe that any mascara can do this, but it is the only real thing I can fault this mascara on.

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall I would definitely recommend this mascara as I have been fairly pleasantly surprised by it. I don't think I have tried any Revlon mascaras in the past (or at least not that I can remember!) and trying this one has definitely made me want to try out a few more! At £10 for a highstreet mascara, I do find it to be fairly expensive, though do believe that the quality and results this mascara achieved makes it worth paying the price for; it actually really reminds me of the YSL SHOCKING mascara in both formulation and results and that mascara costs in excess of £20!

Overall, I would repurchase this mascara and have been very happy with the results, it just misses out on the five stars for me as it is still not quite the 'perfect' mascara for me, so I guess they hunt will continue!

17.08.2015 14:07

Advantages

• " easy to clean"
      • " blend effortlessly"
      • " soft"
      • Affordable

Disadvantages

• "Some of the brushes aren't great for the purpose they are designed for"

Core Collection!

As mentioned in my previous review I have recently been investing in some new make up brushes, mainly being from the brand Real Techniques. Real techniques was originally a brand of make up brushes released by you tuber and make up artist Samantha Chapman and since having released a few of the original collections she has now teamed up with her sister Nic Chapman to bringing the newer range of brushes. This set is made up of four brushes and named the core collection and is essentially all the brushes you will need for foundation/face make up. The four brushes included are the detailer brush, pointed foundation brush, buffing brush and contour brush. The set is also completed with a lightweight, small little carry case which you can simply slot all the brushes into.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
      This set normally retails between £20 and £24.99, currently costing £21.99 in Boots stores. I personally find this extremely good value for money considering you are getting four brushes in the set, making them a little over £5 each. There are also often offers on Real Techniques brushes such as that of 3 for 2, buy one get one half price, etc so sometimes it is worth looking around for these offers as it then makes the brushes an even better buy. It is currently at a 'sale' price of just £16.79 on feelunique.com, as of the 17/08/15.

Alike most of the Real Techniques range these can be found in most Boots stores- I tend to find that the larger stores have a better range of the brushes though. Failing that they can be found online at Boots, Real Techniques online, Amazon, Look Fantastic, Feel Unique and many other online beauty suppliers.

===~~The Buffing Brush~~===
      This is by far my favourite brush in the collection and alone retails for around £10, making the set again seem even better value for money. A buffing brush is designed to apply foundation with, though can also be used for a primer, or anything you want to 'buff' into the skin. To the touch the bristles feel very soft and seemed to be quite densely compacted. The fact that the brushes are synthetic did not deter from the softness of the bristles in anyway whatsoever. The head of the brush itself is quite large, meaning that when in use it covers a fairly large area of the face at any one time.

I tend to use liquid foundation on a daily basis, so that is what I used with this brush. I found that the brush moved across my face almost effortlessly and I never feels like the brush was dragging or that the bristles felt spikes or uneven on my face. Due to the brush it's,effect being quite large I found that I was able to do my make up extremely quickly, yet it still looked flawless. I was pleased to find that this brush really did blend in my foundation seamlessly and was found that there was no unevenness of brush marks left in my foundation. I have used this brush what seems like hundreds of times now and have never had any problems with it shedding any hair or any of the bristles splintering off into different directions. This brush really did help to give my skin that flawless finish as the brush really did buff the foundation into my skin, as the name would suggest. So although it achieved an almost perfect looking canvas for my make up, it still looked natural due to the fact the foundation had been blended in so well.

My only slight gripe with this brush is that of the size of the brush, despite the fact that it allows me to do my make up so much quicker I do feel that it sometimes can swamp my face. I also work as a free lance make up artist and if I ever work in people with smaller heads I find this brush to almost be too large and is therefore not practical for everyone.

===~~Contour Brush~~===
      This is perhaps my next most favourite brush in the collection and I think is even my most used brush out of the four and is also one that I find to be of multi purpose. Again the bristles are every soft in this brush, yet the brush itself is much smaller than the last and has a slightly more tapered shape to it where some of the bristles are slightly shorter on the outside and longer on the inside creating a very slight dome shake. Despite this being named the contour brush, I actually really like to use this brush for powder to set me make up. I find that the brush allows me to pick up an adequate amount of powder to transfer for onto my face with minimal fallout. Due to the fact that the bristles are again quite tightly compacted it really allows me to push the powder into my skin to ensure that my make up is set. What I particularly like about this brush is due the the fact it is tapered I can use the very end of the brush, as the tip is slightly smaller to set my under eyes also. This is great as it means I do not need to interchange between brushes to set both my face and under eye make up.

I have also used this as a contour brush, which it is designed to be used as. I find that the bristles feel incredibly soft when moving the brush across my cheekbone and feel that it really transfers the product well. The fact that the brush is slightly tapered means that it is much easier to apply just below the cheekbone and get a more clean cut, defining line rather than if the brush had a flat top. The only slight downside to the brush is that I find it quite hard to blend with, which I think is mainly due to the fact that the bristles are very dense. This means that if I should ever apply too much contour it is almost impossible to blend it out with this brush and I would have to use another brush to do so.

===~~Pointed Foundation Brush~~===
      Although this is my least favourite brush in the collection, I do still use it on an almost daily basis, just not for foundation. Personally, I find it almost impossible trying to apply foundation to this brush. I have used many a pointed foundation brushes in the past, but the size of this one (it is much smaller than most) makes it very impractical, and I also find that it does not move as smoothly across the face as the other brushes in the pack. I find that I can only cover a very small amount of the face at any one given time and find that the bristles are almost too densely compacted meaning that it does not move as smoother actress the face and although it doesn't pull at my skin, it does feel like it is slightly dragging when is use.

This being said, I love this brush for applying highlighter with, or for concealing the under eyes. I find that the small size of this brush and the fact that it is flat makes it perfect for applying highlighter across the tops of the cheek bones. The fact that it is pointed also allows for greater control of where you liked the product to be, which I really like ask find most 'highlighter' brushes don't actually have this. Since using this brush multiply times I have found that it actually fairs much better with powder products to that of liquid products and since this I have actually found many uses for it. I find that when used in conjunction with powder products it does not drag at my skin and instead feels very smooth and silky in use.

===~~Detailer Brush~~===
      This is by far the smallest brush in the collection and as the name suggests is designed to add small detail to make up or for cleaning up any mistakes. The bristles on this brush are incredibly tightly compacted, making it a very sturdy brush and is by no means 'flexible'. The brush itself is flat in shape and is again slightly tapered towards the tip of the brush. I personally really like to use this brush for concealer, I find due to the size of the brush it allows for precision when trying to conceal any blemishes/redness and therefore means it is easy to apply the product directly to where you want it. The bristles in this brush do not feel as soft as on the previous brushes, which I think is mainly due to both the size of the brush and the fact that this brush pretty much remains in a fixed position.

The size of this brush almost makes it great for cleaning up any mistakes I may have made; for example wonky winged eye liner is a dodgy lip line. I have also found it to be of use when applying highlighter to the brow bone or to the inner corner of the eye.

The brushes all sit very comfortably in my hand, making the product even easier to apply when using these brushes. They are all of an orangey/gold slightly metallic colour and the arm is mainly metal. Although I am not a huge fan of the colour, I do find it makes a nice change to the usual black arms of most make up brushes and when mixed in with the other colours of the Real Techniques brushes actually looks very appealing. All the brushes also have a small black rubbery end to them, which again makes them very comfortable to hold and makes the chances of them slipping out of your hand very slim.

This set of brushes also comes with a slim black case in which you can store all the brushes in. I like the idea of this and it does make it much easier to travel with the brushes when they are in the case, I just personally find it to be a little flimsy and not of the same quality as the brushes. It is also meant to be a stand in which you can display the brushes in and again I find that it is a little too flimsy/uneven to do this and I tend to find it just falls over when used in this way.

===~~The Wear of the Brushes~~===
      I think I have now owned these brushes for just over a year and am very pleasantly surprised to find that they are still as good as new. Due to the fact they are synthetic they are very easy to clean and any built up product is removed easily with a little soap and water. I have washed all of the brushes multiple times now and have found that the brushes still feel as soft as when first purchased and have had no problems with any splintering hairs or hairs falling out when applying make up. The only thing that I find is that if I leave it too long in between washing the brushes even once washed they can be left with a slight orangey stain (the tips of the brushes are usually white) nonetheless if I give them a thorough wash soon after I tend to find most of this 'stain' is removed.

The only other thing I have found when washing these brushes is that the name of the brushes (which is written down the side of the brush) tends to rub off and on some of my brushes there is nothing left whatsoever. Although this is not a huge deal, I would have preferred it if the names have remained intact.

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall, I really love this set if brushes and think that the quality of the brushes for the price you are paying is excellent. Although I have not found all the brushes to be the best at which they are designed for, I have found other uses if not multiples uses, for them all and therefore there is not a brush in this set that I neglect or tend not to use. The fact that the brushes are still going strong after a year of use, even after using them in a daily basis and the fact they cost little more than £5 each really makes this a great set, which would be perfect for both a beginner or a make up artist.
      I love the fact that this set has pretty much all the brunches you need in it to create the perfect base for your make up and am looking forward to trying out more of the Real Techniques range!

12.08.2015 13:23

Advantages

• " gloss finish"
      • " lovely colour"
      • " widely available"
      • Affordable

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't care long term fir lips"

Baby lips!

I had been wanting to try out the Maybelline 'Baby Lips' for a while, a lip balm that was very big in America and had not yet been release in the UK and although I could have purchased it online I did not really want to pay the upmarked price or the postage costs for an item that wasn't really a necessity. Therefore when they were introduced into the UK just over a year ago, I have tried four of the different 'flavours' from the range now and have to say that this one being 'Peach Kiss' is by far my favourite.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
      These lip balms are very affordable costing just £2.99 each and can often be found on offers such as 2 for £5, 3 for 2, etc. They are currently (as of 14/07/15) in and offer at Boots; which I believe to run across the entire Maybelline line of buy one item and get another half price.

Alike all Maybelline products these lip balms are very widely available. They can be found in the likes of Boots, Superdrug, Sainsburys, Tesco (all large supermarkets) as well as many online retailers. There are six different variations available in the original Baby lips range them being; Cherry Me, Peach Kiss, Hydrate, Intensive, Pink Punch and Mint Fresh. Some of these lip balms are tinted and some of them are 'plain'. Peach Kiss is one of the tinted ones.

One thing to point out is that on all the sides of the tubes it says for 'adult use only', I'm not too sure as to why this is as there aren't any extremely small parts and neither are there any ingredients which strike out to be any different to any other lip balms; my 7 and 9 year old cousins both own a few of these lip balms each and it has not caused any irritation to them and they both love them!

===~~Applying the Lip Balm~~===
      The first thing that I noticed about the this lip balm when I opened it was that of the scent, it is not at all overpowering, but is definitely noticeable. It does smell of peaches to some extent, but I find it to be more of a synthetic peach smell to that of a fresh, natural one. Nonetheless, I really like the smell, it is light and sweet and is just enough for an everyday lip balm. The scent does wear of quite quickly once applied, so even if you are not a fan of the smell it is not one that lingers at all.

In the tube the lip balm looks a dark nude peach colour with ever so slight glitter/ shimmer in it. To apply I simply took of the lid and turned the base of the lip balm a little in order to get easier access to the balm. The first thing that I noticed when actually applying the lip balm was how incredibly smooth and silky it felt. It was as if it it was melting on me the minute it came into contact with my lips it was that smooth. Despite this it did not feel at as sticky of thick on the lips and was in fact quite the opposite as it felt very lightweight. I found that when just one coat was applied the colour was a very sheer, barely there nude colour, which I actually really liked if I just wanted a wash of colour over my lips. Nonetheless the colour could easily be built up to a slightly more pigmented shade when applying more coats and even when doing this I was pleased to find it still felt incredibly lightweight and non sticky.

===~~Results~~===
      I really love the way that this lip balm looks on my lips. The colour is not at all over powering and at first I had thought it looked a little too dark for me in the tube, but once applied it is a much softer, peachy shade. It actually reminds me a little of 'Shy Girl' by MAC but in a ill balm form. I like the fact that the colour can be worn both sheer or built up a little so the colour becomes a little more prominent. I have also worn this both under or over lipsticks and find that due to this being a very 'nude' like shade it works really well, especially when applied over baby pinks as it gives them a slightly more mature look.

The finish of this is very much gloss like and the slight shimmer/glitter in this really adds to them and gives your lips a slightly more plumped look. I particularly like the fact that the glitter is so fine it doesn't actually look like I have a glittery lip balm on my lips and neither can I feel the grains of glitter on my lips.

This lip balm also feels incredibly soft and light weight to wear; therefore is incredibly comfortable on the lips. I feel that my lips feel plump and moisturised when wearing this lip balm, though feel like it doesn't really do anything in the long term for the care of my lips. I definitely do not see this lip back soothing cracked lips and neither to I see it providing intense hydration to dry lips, nonetheless it is a lovely 'quick fix' on the go product for when you want a bit of immediate hydration and softness.

This is a product that I find I need to reapply throughout the day, that being said I do find this with almost every lip balm I have tried. I find it lasts a good couple of hours on the lips before they begin to feel like I need to apply more. Due to it being tinted I do find that once it has worn off my lips it leaves an ever so, ever so slightly peachy stain to my lips, which I actually really like!

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall I really love this balm! As previously mentioned this is my favourite from the range, that being said I do love them all and think it is mainly due to the fact that's prefer both the scent and colour of this one. It provides good short term relief from moderately dry lips, whilst leaving them looking healthy with a soft peach tint and gloss finish. The packaging is one of those click too lids and I have never found that it has popped open or become loose, despite the fact I just throw this ill balm into the bottom of my bag on most days!

The packaging is slightly young with it being purple with peach bubble writing on it, though I do find that even this doesn't bother me! I actually find it to be quite fun and unique compared to other lip balms on the market as they can all look a bit 'samey'. I also find that due to the purple colour I find it much easier to spot in the bottom of my bag!

I would definitely recommend this lip balm and it gets five stars from me as I am honestly finding it hard to fault it. It would not be ideal for the soothing of extremely dry lips, then again I do not think it was designed for this, so if you are on the lookout for a fun, affordable lip balm that leaves your lips feeling both soft and with a lovely sheen of colour then this could just be the one for you!

12.08.2015 13:20

Advantages

• "Leaves skin glowy"

Disadvantages

• "Foundation doesn't last longer"
      • "Doesn't combat fine lines"
      • Expensive

Prime time!

I have never been that into primers, be that I'm too lazy for that extra step when it comes to make up or the fact that I don't notice all that much if a difference when I use one opposed to when I don't. Nonetheless I have tried spout a few different primers, ranging from highstreet to high end and the latest one that I have tries out is this one by BareMinerals being there Prime Time brightening foundation primer. They have a few different primers in their 'prime time' range for different types of skin, for example neutralising for red or uneven skin tone, etc. I opted for the brightening one as I do tend to get quite skin and I sometimes find that my skin can look a little too dull or 'matte' so was hoping that this primer would help to combat this.

The primer claims that is is enriched with minerals and antioxidants to help brighten the complexion and extend the wear of your foundation, whilst combating fine lines, larger pores, dry patches and excess oil. It also states that it is suitable for all skin types.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
      This is definitely one of the more expensive primers that I have tried out, costing £22 for 30ml. I have sometimes seen it a little cheaper on the likes of Feel Unique and other online beauty stores like this. Feel unique actually had an offer in once where you reviewed this primer, the foundation, an eyeshadow, eyeliner, blusher, lipgloss and brush for just £40 so it is definitely worth looking around, especially if you are a fan if the brand in general or are wanting to try out more of the brand.

This primer is available in online at the Bare Escentuals store and is also available at BareMinerals stands which can be found in most larger department stores such as that of Debenhams and House of Fraser. As previously mentioned they can also be found in the likes of feel unique and other online beauty retailers.

===~~Applying the Primer~~===
      What I particularly like about this primer is that it comes in a pump like bottle, which means not only does the bottle remain much cleaner looking, but also allows for a little more control as to how much product you are using. The instructions for use are to simply apply a thin layer over the face after skin care and that less is more and therefore I applied the primer as directed. The primer itself is a beige like nude colour (fairly similar to that of porefessional by Benefit) yet is not as solid in texture and although it is not runny, neither is it firm or cream like.

The primer does feel incredibly smooth to the touch, even silk like which can make it sometimes feel greasy, but in no way is it oily. I tend to start from the middle of my face and then blend out when applying primer, so this is exactly how I applied this one. I chose to apply this with just my fingers and found that it glided across my face and was extremely easy to blend out. Due to it being extremely lightweight it seemed to blend out into almost nothing and in no way did it feel heavy or tacky; my skin didn't feel any different to it had done once I had applied my moisturiser.

The one thing I did notice when applying this primer is that it had lots of very tiny gold, nude and pink toned primers, which I guess were to add to the brightening effect. Despite the fact that the glitter particles were very fine, I did find this mean that I couldn't really wear this primer alone with no foundation on top (which I have done in the past with other primers) mainly due to the fact that I felt my face looked too sparkly and if is stepped into direct sunlight my head just seemed to turn into a giant disco ball! Nonetheless my skin felt super soft and silky to the touch once I have applied this primer and it almost felt like I had a layer of velvet on my skin. I couldn't really tell when wearing this primer alone as to whether it helped to fill any fine lines or minimise pores as I don't tend to normally notice these until I have applied foundation anyway.

===~~Results~~===
      One thing I did find with this primer was that my foundation was incredibly easy to apply to the skin once this had been applied. It blended out on my skin both effortlessly and seamlessly which I think was mainly due to the smooth and silk like texture of this primer. I have used both liquid and powder foundations over the top of this primer and have found them both to blend out just as easy.

Once my foundation had been applied and had set on my skin, I did notice that I looked a lot more glowy than normal; my skin no longer looked dull or dry and instead looked healthy and radiant. I was pleased to find that once foundation had been applied over the top of this primer that the glitter particles were almost non detectable and instead just a healthy glow showed through the foundation. I did find that in particularly sunny days my skin colour look slightly 'sparkly', though again this was only slightly so and in general my skin just looked really glowy.

Personally I didn't notice too much of a difference to any fine line I have when wearing this primer, although it did not exaggerate any, I also don't think that it really combatted the appearance of any. I found that it did do a slightly better job when it came to pores though. I tend to really notice these when I'm wearing foundation, however with this primer applied I found them far less noticeable and it seemed to have given my skin a much smoother look in general.

As far as increasing the longevity of my foundation goes, I don't really feel the primer did anything to help this. Although it didn't hinder it in anyway, I found that I needed to touch up my foundation around the same amount of times I would had I not been wearing a primer and found that the foundation lasted the same 7/8 hours on my skin as it would have normally done without a primer.

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall, I really sit on the fence with this primer. I love the fact that it gives me glowy, radiant, healthy looking skin but as an actual primer I don't think it fairs too well. It doesn't help with the longevity if my foundation and neither does it fill in any fine lines, which I would expect most primers to do. I actually feel that it works better as a highlighter than it does as a primer, though feel I have also used much more affordable highlighters that do a better job.
      Although I love the feel of this on my skin and the effect it has on skin, the fact that it doesn't really work as a primer has left me undecided as to whether I would recommend this primer.

12.01.2015 18:53

Advantages

• " nice colour"
      • " creamy texture"
      • " widely available"
      • Affordable

Disadvantages

• " can feel during after prolonged wear"
      • "Stain is not as intense as I would have liked"

Revlon balm stain!

After trying out a number of the Revlon Lip Butters and really liking them, when the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm stains were released I figured I just had to try them. I liked the idea of these as they seemed similar to that of the Lip Butters in that they have been infused with a balm, but the fact that they also 'stain' the lips which hopefully means they last longer on the lips than that of the Lip Butters. I have tried lip stains in the past, though have always found them to be quite drying and not too comfortable to wear so I was intrigued to see how moisturising and balm like this would feel on the lips and how the pigmentation would fair.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
      These lip balm stains cost £7.99, so are reasonably affordable and can often be found on offers such as 3 for 2. As of writing this (12/01/15) there is currently an offer on boots in which where you spend £20 on more on selected cosmetics (these being included) you get a free Essie nail varnish which RRP around the £7 mark.

As with most highstreet branded make up these lip stains are available from the likes of Boots, Superdrug, some larger supermarkets and Lloyds pharmacies.

As far as I am aware there are six of seven shades available. I found at least three of them (the pink shades) to be very similar in colour and actually found it very hard to choose between them. Other than the pinks, there are also some more daring colours in this collection such as an orange and deep purple/ brown colour. I would have liked to seen a few more shades on offer, or even for the pinks to be a little more differentiated in shades as there weren't many colours on offer, nonetheless the colour that I finally decided upon was Cherish Devotion; a candy baby pink colour with some very slight lavender tones to it.

The balm stain itself looks like a large child's crayon and the bullet is shaped to replicate this to; very similar to that of Clinique's chubby sticks and is most likely Revlon's own version at a fraction of the price. The colour of the packaging matches that of the colour of the stain so it is very easy to find when searching through your make up bag and you know what colour you shall be applying.

===~~Applying the Balm Stain~~===
      When I opened this balm stain the first thing I was greeted by was the scent, which I was very pleasantly surprised by. Unlike most lip products that either have a fruity or candy like scent, this balm stain smelled very menthol and like mint. I am a huge fan of things that smell like mint so I really enjoyed this, it wasn't too overpowering and instead was clean and fresh. This scent did linger for a little while on the lips once applied, so although I really enjoyed this, if you are not a fan of mint scents then I doubt this will be one for you.

I chose to apply the balm stain straight from the bullet as to me it seemed the most obvious way to apply it. The bullet itself gets narrower to the top, coming in at a rounded point which is great for precision near the Cupid's bow area and the rounded edged of the bullet is great for applying directly onto the lips. At first I did find the balm stain a little stubborn to apply and was not as creamy as I had expected, especially after having previously used the Revlon lip butters. Nonetheless I found that as the balm stain warmed up a little on my lips it soon became a lot smoother to apply and began to create the creamy texture I had been expecting.

I found the consistency of this balm stain to actually be much thicker than I had expected (especially after having only ever used liquid lip stains in the past) and was actually a lot thicker than most lipsticks I had owned, so did feel a little heavy on the lips. Despite this it was very easy to blend into my lips and due to the high pigmentation of the balm stain I found that one coat was enough to get full, even coverage.

The only slight gripe I have when applying this is that the more you use it, the more you lose the slight 'point' to the end of the balm stain which means you lose the precision when applying to the Cupid's bow area and lining your lips. Due to it being a twist mechanism as well (you twist the bottom for more product to come up) there is no way of sharpening this product either to make that point appear again. Having said this, the twist mechanism is very handy for in you go as you don't have to worry about having to sharpen it or having to take a sharpener with you!

===~~Results~~===
      Personally, I found that the first few times I applied this I found it to look a little caky on the lips, which I think is mainly due to the thick texture of this balm stain, which led me to dabbing off the excess. I don't think I was being particularly heavy handed when applying this product, I just wasn't used to its consistency. That being said I can now apply it fine without it looking caky or need or needing to dab off any excess, even when I am in a rush. I was please to find that although at times in can appear a little caky, it never sank in to any of the lines/ cracks in my lips and therefore did not exaggerate these. If my lips were particularly cracked or I was suffering from a cold I did sometimes find it could crease a little at the cracks on my lips, other than that my lips had a very smooth appearance when wearing this.

I find that it gives me even coverage across the lips and the fact that one coat does this means that despite the slightly thick texture, it actually feels light in the lips. Although it is no where near as moisturising in the lips as that of the lip butters, it still feels creamy in the lips and is not at all drying. It's original appearance to me actually looks much more like a lipstick than that of a lip stain, as in the past I have not been able to feel lip stains on my lips, whereas this very much feels like I am wearing a lipstick. It even has a very slight shine when first applied, not like the shine of a lip gloss, but that shine of a lip balm and therefore again reminded me of a lipstick and not of a stain.

The colour I had chosen itself I was very pleased with. It was very true to how I had expected it to be be and was a soft, yet bright candy pink colour. I found that once on the lips the lavender tones were not as apparent, which I was actually really pleased about as I am not overly keen on them. The only thing I disliked about the colour is that I found I couldn't really wear it in the winter, I found it just didn't compliment pale skin at all and washed me out and made me look a little ill.

Throughout the day as the lip stain began to wear, it did become much more like a stain on the lips. It lost the thick and creamy texture it had had to begin with and instead felt like there was nothing on my lips, yet I was still left with a stain of colour. It was nowhere near as vivid a stain as I had expected and was nowhere near as pigmented as it had been when it had first been applied. Instead I was left with a very soft, pale looking lip colour; although this was still very pretty and looked lovely on the lips I was actually hoping that it would 'stain' to the colour it had been when first applied. This being said, I was pleased to find that the stain left an even coverage in my lips that did not look patchy or like it had worn in some colours more than others.

I found that the stain lasted pretty much all day on my lips (I try not to wear make up for more than 8-10 hours per day) and throughout this time only began to fade slightly at the very centre of my lips. If I had wanted to reapply to get the original colour intensity then I could have easily had done this too, but was still pleased to find that the final stain colour did last all day. I find that once it has set in its balm like state then it is transfer resistant and does not come off on sides of glasses/food/kissing etc, though this not the case when it has first been applied. As mentioned, it did lose it's balm and creamy like texture and although it was not uncomfortable to wear, I did find that after 4 or so hours it did feel a little drying on the lips and felt like I needed to apply a lip balm over the top.

===~~Overall~~===
      Overall I cannot say that I am particularly impressed by this balm stain, but neither do I hate it. I really like the fact it lasts all day on my lips so I don't need to constantly reapply, yet would have liked the intensity of the stain to be a little more and the same colour as when originally applied. I also don't like the fact that it becomes harder to apply with each use as you lose in the precious in in the shape of the bullet; this is particularly difficult if you are in a rush or on the go. It's not an item that I shall be rushing out to buy again, yet neither is it an item that I will throw out. I will continue to use it until it's all gone, though it is definitely not a product that I shall be reaching for on a daily basis and am very much indifferent as to it being in my collection or not. Due to this I am undecided in whether I would recommend it, it is by no means a bad product, it just failed to meet the expectations I had for it.

11.01.2015 20:30

Advantages

• " lasts a long time"
        • "Affordable gorgeous shade"

Disadvantages

• "Can feel a little sticky at first"

A lipgloss I'll be wearing 'Non Stop'

As mentioned in my previous review, over the last year or so I have accumulated many, many lip products, too many in fact, yet one of my firm favourites is this one by Rimmel. This one in particular is from their 'Stay Glossy' range which claims it is a shine lipgloss that can last for up to six hours. Through the tube is looks like a pale nude pink colour with some slight gold shimmer/ glitter in it. This is one if my favourite shades to wear as I feel like it can be worn over any colour and in the past I have even worn it over a bright red lip.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
        Alike most Rimmel products it is very affordable due to it being a highstreet make up item. In most places it costs around £6, costing £6.29 in Boots. It can often be found on offers such as 3 for 2, or I have even seen one where when you spend so much on Rimmel products (say £12) you actually receive one of these lip glosses for free.

As with most Rimmel make up items, this lipgloss is available from the likes of Boots, Superdrug, Sainsburys and Lloyds pharmacies. It is also available at all of their online stores and can also be found in the likes of beauty bay and feel unique.

===~~Applying the lipgloss~~===
        The first thing that I noticed about this lipgloss, as I do with most lip glosses is that of the scent. I was pleasantly surprised by the scent, it is not at all over powering and instead is a very clean scent with slight hints of vanilla. It does not have a sweet or 'fake candy' like scent as many lip glosses do and for that reason it is actually one of my favourite scents for a lip gloss. Nonetheless I find that the scent does fade very quickly and does not last at all once on the lips, though I find this doesn't bother me either.

This lipgloss has a small soft sponge applicator on the end if the wand. The sponge applicator has a slight curve in it, which I actually really like as I find that it tends to fit to the shape of your lips a little better and makes it easier to apply. I find that the lip gloss can sometimes collect a little in this curve, though due to the curve itself being very slight I find that it doesn't collect too much and instead, is just the right amount.

To apply the lipgloss felt incredibly smooth and light, it does have an ever so slight 'stickiness' to it, though I find that most 'long lasting' lip glosses do. I do not find it uncomfortable to wear on the lips because if this after a while I actually find that the stickiness tends to wear off. I find that just applying the lipgloss once over my lips gives enough coverage so that I don't have to keep going over it.

===~~Results~~===
        I was really pleased with the results of this lip gloss, especially the shade. It was a very soft pretty pink colour, which wash actually not too pigmented and slightly sheer meaning that it looks great worn alone or over the top of lipsticks and the likes of. It was neither too candy pink and neither was it too pale lavender pink shade and instead it was the perfect medium. I also really liked the soft gold shimmer running through; I am normally not a huge fan of glittery or shimmery lip glosses as I sometimes find them a little gritty feeling on the the lips, though due to it being so fine in huge lip gloss I could not feel it on the lips and instead actually found it to be creamy in texture on the lips. I also liked the fact that the shimmer running through the gloss was gold in colour and not your typical silver or blue/white and found that the gold complimented the pale nude pink shade very well.

The lip gloss is indeed very shiny and I think the glitter particles add to this, meaning that when it hits the lips it really does look very pretty on the lips. Due to the high shine if the lips it also makes your lips look a little plumper and fuller, without it actually being a plumping lip gloss. I find it works particularly well like this when it is just worn in the centre of the lips over a lipstick (due to it being a fairly pale pink you can even get away with applying it over a red!) as this really adds a fullness to the lips as the high shine adds a highlight to the centre of the lips.

As it for lasting six hours in the lips, I do not really agree with this. I do believe it lasts for a fairly long time, especially with it being a gloss, though I do not believe it lasts anywhere near the six hours as claimed. I tend to find it lasts around two hours before I need to reapply, which to me is still a very decent amount of time as with other brands I feel like I am constantly reapplying every ten minutes or so. I actually find it fairs better when worn over the top of a lipstick as this almost works as a base for the lip gloss to stick to. I find that when worn alone the lipgloss fades to a very natural looking soft pink colour on the lips, which again looks very pretty. I find the lipgloss very comfortable on my lips for the period of time that I am wearing it and after the original slight stickiness of the gloss wears off I actually find fairly creamy and almost moisturising to wear. I find that after having worn this lip gloss my lips are not left feeling dry and instead feel fairly soft.

===~~Overall~~===
        Overall, I am very impressed with this lip gloss, I am completely in love with the colour and love the fact that it can be worn alone or over the top of a lipstick. Although it does not last the six hours as claimed, I find that it still outlasts many of the other lip glosses that I own and the fact it is available at a very affordable price means that I shall continue to repurchase it. I like the fact that although it originally has a slight stickiness to it, it is actually incredibly light on the lips and actually begins to feel moisturising. There are eight different shades available in this 'Stay Glossy' range; ranging from pale nude pinks such as this one to more vibrant oranges and reds and I am very much looking forward to trying a few others. If you a fan of pink shades then I would definitely recommend this lip gloss for you, or even if you are just looking for a lip gloss to apply over lipstick and apply a little shine.

11.01.2015 14:45

Advantages

• " true red colour"
        • " lasts a long time"
        • Affordable

Disadvantages

• " no shine"
        • " too much product comes out"
        • "Hard to apply"

Doesn't quite live up to the name 'Big Bang'

I am currently working as a free lance make up artist and to me one of the most important things when completing a look is that of the lips, this can be something as simple as finishing off with a pale nude or pink to adding something more intense such as a vibrant red or purple. Due to this I seem to have accumulated stacks of lip products ranging from balms to stains to glosses to lipsticks, though the most recent one I have added to my collection (despite it being out a couple of years) is that of a Rimmel Apocalips. The idea behind this lip product by Rimmel is that it is meant to have both the intensity and lasting power of a lipstick, yet have the shine of a lip lacquer. (There is also a matte range now available). They are also me at to feel creamy and comfortable to wear, I picked up two shades, one being Stellar and the other shade that I shall be basing this review on 'Big Bang'; a vibrant red shade.

===~~Price and Availability ~~===

Alike most highstreet brand make up, these can be purchased from the likes of Boots and Superdug. I have also noticed that my larger Sainsburys and Asda stores also stock Rimmel products and have also noticed them at some Lloyds pharmacies, as well as many online stockists so they are very widely available. I think there are around twelve shades on offer and they range from pale mauve sand nudes to more intense purples and reds, so if the colour Big Bang doesn't take your fancy, there may be another that does!

===~~Applying the product~~===

This lip lacquer has a small, slightly pointed sponge applicator. There is also a hole in the middle of this which collects the product so you have enough to apply to your lips without having to keep putting the applicator in the tube. In actual fact I found this hole in the sponge that collected the product made it very hard to apply the lip lacquer. I have found that it actually stores too much of the product so when first applied to the lips you are left with a big blob of it to blend out, which with a colour such as Big Bang any slight mishap is very apparent due to the intensity of the colour. Unfortunately I have found that even when trying to wipe off some of the excess product on the side of the tube, I am still left with too much when it actually comes to applying. Due to this I find it extremely difficult to keep the product within the lines of my lips and therefore find it hard to keep it looking neat. I virtually find it impossible to apply it without a lip liner and even then I still sometimes struggle to keep it looking crisp and neat.

Despite this, the lip lacquer itself was incredibly soft and creamy and almost had a velvet like texture and because of this I found it easy to blend across the lips. The colour does come out extremely pigmented and it is a true bright red, however I do find it almost 'sets' on your lips and for this reason I do find myself having to work fairly quick with it to ensure the lips are fully covered before it does set.

I have now got used to this product and do find it a little easier to apply and have actually found the best way is to simply use a lip brush in order to get the desired amount of the product. That being said, I definitely own similar products to this lip lacquer which are far easier to apply and for this reason I am fairly disappointed in the application for this product.

===~~Results~~===
        Despite being disappointed with the application for this product, I really did like the way it looked on my lips. It was a true, bright red apple colour and was extremely pigmented and intense, as claimed. It did not look patchy at all on my lips and instead looked incredibly even, despite the great difficulty I had had in applying it. As previously mentioned I found that it almost set on my lips, meanings that once applied it doe not smudge or move; I was particularly impressed with this with it being a red lip lacquer as any slight smudge is very noticeable with a red lip colour. In all honestly, I do not believe it to have the shine of a gloss, it was a little shiny to begin with, however I found that this was very quick to wear off and I was left with neither a matte nor shiny red lip. This didn't bother me too much as I actually preferred the way it looked once the shine had worn off, nonetheless if you are looking for a high shine red colour than this is not the one.

I have found this to be a very long lasting lip product and it stays on my lips for a good four/ five hours before I feel the need to reapply. During this time it just seems to fade and leaves a red stain on your lips and I have also been happy to wear it like this as well as I find that it fades evenly and doesn't look patchy.

It feels very comfortable on the lips and is not sticky at all like a gloss would be. I have found that the creamy texture of this lip lacquer doesn't last for too long on this lips, but was pleased to find that it doesn't become drying on the lips either.

===~~Overall~~===
        Overall I really sit in the fence with this lip lacquer. I really like the way it looks on my lips and the fact that it is long lasting, though the amount of time it does actually take me to apply it and go over it in order to make it look prefect I do wonder whether it is all worth it. The fact that it is affordable and often on offer means that I may be tempted to buy another one, though it is not a product I know that I definitely want to repurchase. I also feel that it is not completely what it advertises to be, in that the shine of this lip lacquer only lasts for a minimal time I find and although I did actually like the end results, it is still a little disappointing. I have also found all the difficulties I have had with this shade with the other shade I purchase, Stellar. I am not sure whether this may be due to the fact that they are both extremely intense and vivid colours and therefore do take a little longer to apply and the nudes and pinks in this line. I am a little disappointed in this product, though cannot say that I hate it and for that reason I am undecided as to whether I would recommend it.

• Benefit Brow Zings / Make Up / 16 Readings / 14 Ratings
        07.01.2015 21:32

Advantages

• " comes in handy compact"
        • " defines brows"
        • "Looks natural"

Disadvantages

• Price

It's a Brow thing!

I am one of those girls that love doing my eyebrows and have gone through many different products in order to achieve what I believe to be the perfect brow. I hate the harshly drawn on look with the squared off ends and prefer to follow my natural brown line and use the product just to fill in and ever so slightly shape where I needed. Though this sounds fairly easy to do I have been through countless products trying to achieve this, finding eyebrow pencils often look to harsh and 'drawn on' and gels can often leave my eyebrows looking to thick and can even smear and not stay set throughout the day. This all changed however when I finally found my number one eyebrow palette, Benefit Brow Zings.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
        This eye brown set it by no means cheap and actually costs more than most of my foundations costing £24.50. I had my eyebrows done at the Benefit bar and it was then that I fell in love with how my brows looked after having them done and it was only because of this that I could justify spending the money. Of course, there are also more expensive brow kits on the market, yet there are also many at a fraction of the price!

Alike most Benefit products, this Brow Zing palette can be found at Benefit counters; these are often found within larger department stores. There are also some independent Benefit stores and these sets can also be purchased on line from the likes of ASOS and feel unique.

===~~The packaging/what do you get~~===
        The packaging has been slightly updated since the photo shown and it not comes in a little square compact. It is black with 'brow zings' written all over the lid. What I like about it is that the material is a little shiny meaning it is very easy to clean and wipe down as often I find make up items can get very dirty.

When you open the compact you are greeted with a mirror on the inside of the lid; it is a handy little mirror to do make up touch ups on the go, though personally find it too small to actually do my eye brows with. Then there are two compartments where there is a wax on the left hand side and a powder on the right and then there is a slot underneath this whether you receive a miniature pair of tweezers, small blending brush and small hard angled brush.

The kit is available in three shades; light, medium and deep. I have very dark hair and olive skin so found that the 'deep' one suited me the best.

===~~Applying the product~~===
        To apply this product you use the wax to define and shape your brows and the the powder to further sharpen up and set the look. The hard angle brush is designed for use with the wax and then the blending brush with the powder. I have used the brushes this set has come with ever since I purchased it, which is very unusual for me but I really do love them. They are very small so can be a little hard to come to grips with at first, though once you get used to them I feel that the results you can achieve with them are great. The wax is of a fairly hard consistency and is no way gel like, which I had actually expected. Nonetheless I found that the brush picked it up well and it transferred well onto my eyebrows. Like previously mentioned, I follow my natural brow shape and found that was very easy to do so with this wax. It seemed to warm up slightly once it came into contact with my skin and this meant it was smooth to apply. Despite this it wasn't too creamy, like some I have used in the past have been and this made it much easier to create a crisp and defined line.

Once I was happy with how the wax looked on my eyebrow I then moved on to using the powder. The first thing I noticed about the powder was how dense and pigmented it was and it was by no means chalky. I applied this over where I had applied the wax, though left the front of my brows as I feel this gives a more natural look. The powder was very easy to apply and did not drag in anyway, which I thought it may have done due to the fact it was being applied over a wax. I was pleased to find that it was just as pigmented when applying it to my brows, yet was still easy to apply so it looked natural and should I have applied too much it was also very simple to blend out.

===~~Results~~===
        I am really impressed with this little palette and love the results I get with it. My brows look tidy and defined, yet do not look harsh or like I have caterpillars or any other unwanted animal above my eyelids! Admittedly, it did take me a few goes to work out how to achieve the best results and I find that small, fast strokes work best for me and seem to be the most natural looking. I find that applying the powder over the wax really sets it in place and definitely prolongs the wear of it. Luckily, I have had no problems with the wax or powder smudging or smearing throughout the day and find it really does last.

If I am in a rush or am just feeling a little lazy that day (sadly, this is more often than not!) I find that I can also use the powder alone and this also fills in the sparse areas of my brows and leaves them looking much more shapely, though not quite as defined as when used in conjunction with the wax.

Despite the long lasting power of this product, I have found that it can be easily removed at the end of the day with a little bit of cleanser or eye make up remover and find that it does not leave any kind of 'stain' as more brow pens and gels I have used have done in the past.

===~~The tweezers~~===
        As mentioned, this set comes with a miniature pair of tweezers which I have used a couple of times. They are a small silver pair with a slanted edge and although these are good for plucking out the odd hair on the go, I would not pluck my eyebrows with these. I find that due to the size they are a little fiddly to use also also find that they do not grasp the hair as well as my normal pair of tweezers, nonetheless they are a handy pair of tweezers to have on the go and are a nice added extra to the palette.

===~~Overall~~===
        Overall, I would definitely recommend this product since having started using it over a year ago now I have not used anything on my brows and cannot imagine doing to either. I love the fact I can get a really good eyebrow shape with this yet it really defined, yet is still natural looking and doesn't look over the top in any way. I still find the almost £25 price tag a little hard to justify for this small product, however I do also believe that eyebrows are one of the most important features as they frame your face and at the end of the day we all want good brows! I am also using the same kit I purchased over a year ago, so this does make it a little better value for money. I have found that the wax side in mine has gone down much quicker than the side of powder, yet I still have over half left in each section so can see this lasting me a while yet!
        I think I will continue to use this product for my brows unless I accidentally happen to stumble upon something I prefer, which will be highly unlikely and for that reason I really would recommend it! If you are wanting to try this but still a little unsure I would also recommend popping into one of the Benefit counters and getting them to do your eye brows for you and I'm sure you'll fall in love with it as I did.

• Benefit Brow Zings / Make Up / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
          07.01.2015 21:31

Advantages

• " comes in handy compact"
          • " defines brows"
          • "Looks natural"

Disadvantages

• Price

It's a Brow thing!

===~~The packaging/what do you get~~===

===~~The tweezers~~===

06.01.2015 14:06

Advantages

• "12 different shades"
          • "Buttery eye shadow texture"
          • "High quality"

Disadvantages

• "Can get fallout "

I strongly suggest you get Naked 2....

I have owned the Original Naked Palette for years and despite being completely in love with it I have never taken the plunge and purchased the Naked 2, until now. I have been lusting after this palette for a couple of years now and upon receiving Debenhams vouchers for Christmas I decided to get myself one.

===~~What is it?~~===
          Urban Decay have produced a 'Naked' range within their line which consists of mainly more natural looking pinks, taupes, browns and greys. Within this range their are lipglosses, concealers, beauty balms, etc, though perhaps their most well known and prestige product is their Naked Palettes. These are palettes that consist of twelve eyeshadows, often ranging from a light cream/white colour to a more intense brown/black colour and the Naked 2 palette is no different. So essentially it is an eyeshadow palette claiming to be filled with '12 pigment rich taupe and greige neutral eyeshadows.

===~~Cost and Availability ~~===
          This palette costs £37 so although this does seem quite steep, when looking at other 'high end' brand palettes I actually find this one to be priced fairly reasonably. There are also 12 different shades in this palette which places them around £3 each which I actually think is a very fair price to pay. Alongside this you also receive one of their double ended good karma eyeshadow brushes and sample of four of their different eye shadow primer potions.

Alike most Urban Decay products the Naked 2 palettes can be purchased from Debenhams, House of Fraser, Urban Decay and most large department stores with a beauty section. I have also often seen them on the likes of feel unique. I tend to find that these are not often on offer, however everyone now and then Debenhams do have 10-15% off beauty products and you can also collect beauty card points there.

===~~The Packaging~~===
          To me, the packaging looks fairly old school in that it in in a metal tin and therefore both the shape and material remind me of an old school pencil case. The metal tin itself seems to be fairly sturdy and it opens and closes securely which I particularly like as I think should I drop it it will remain close, hopefully meaning the eyeshadows won't smash. This is unlike the original naked palette which I find on occasions when I have accidentally dropped it the lid has opened.

Despite it looking fairly old school to me, the simplistic design in a light champagne/beige colour makes it also look modern. When you open the palette you are greeted by a large mirror at the top, followed but the 12 eyeshadows underneath and then a small slot for where the brush is stored.

===~~The Shades~~===
          As previously mentioned there are 12 shades within this palette ranging from matte finishes to glitter and metallic sheens. Although some of the shades so look slightly alike in colour, once applied they look very different so countless different looks can be created with this palette.

Foxy;
          A light, creamy off white matte shade. I find this particularly useful for highlighting the brow bone on the inner tear duct as it is not too intense. It is also perfect for an all over wash of colour over the eyelid if you are in a rush, or also works well to create a light, natural looking smoky eye,

Half baked;
          This shade is also in the original Naked Palette and it is a true metallic gold colour. Just recently I have started as a freelance make up artist and have found this shade to suit many different skin tones, despite what may be originally thought. I love using this shade for a pop of colour at the inner corner of a the eye when doing a dark smoky eye, or as an all over colour when doing a bronze smoky eye.

Booty Call;
          This is an extremely light frosty champagne colour. It is ever so slightly silver in colour with some slight pink tones to it. Personally, I find this colour the hardest to work with as I am not a fan of frosty eyeshadows nonetheless I have found due to its light frosty finish it can really make your eye colour pop in contrast.

Chopper;
          This is perhaps one of my favourite shades in the palette and is a gold/bronze colour with glitter in it. What I particularly like about this is that the glitter is very fine so it does not irritate my eyes in anyway, as some glitter eyeshadows have done in the past. Despite this the glitter particles in it are very reflective which gives the eyeshadow a slightly sparkly look which is great for a bit of evening glamour and the bronze tones in the eyeshadow means it looks great in the summer as it compliments a tan- although a bronzed colour just as easily be used to cheat this look!

Tease;
          This is the second matte shade in the palette and is a grey toned brown/taupe colour. This shade is great for when you want a little definition an depth through the crease, yet is not talk dark that it cannot be worn on a daily basis. This shade is also great for just running lightly through the bottom lash line when doing a simple winged eyeliner look as I find it gives a little definition to your bottom lashes and your eye shape.

Snakebite;
          This is a true bronze shade. This shade has a metallic finish to it and when it hits certain lights can also look slightly gold toned. I particularly like this shade when doing a bronzed look and find it really warms up my skin tone and creates a really nice bronze smoky eye, yet due to the fact that there is no glitter in it it is not too intense.

Suspect;
          This is a light champagne gold colour. Again, it has a shimmery metallic finish to it and works well to creat soft, slightly glamorous eyeshadow looks. I find that I can wear this shade on a daily basis and it is not too much due to the fact it is fairly light and not too obnoxious.

Pistol;
          As the name suggests, this is a slightly gun metal tones grey. It has silver reflect particles in it which makes it great for creating the original grey/black smoky eye. Despite saying that it is probably one of my least favourite shades in the palette, though this is only due to the fact I find grey eyeshadows tend not to suit my skin tone.

Verve;
          This is a true icy silver colour. Again, I find this shade a little hard to wear, though again I think this may just be down to personal preference. Nonetheless I find it works really well as a highlight colour at the inner corners of the eye. Also looks great when applied lightly to your Cupid's bow or on top of red lipstick at the centre of the lips as can make your lips look slightly more plump.

YDK;
          At first glance this looks very similar to the shade 'chopper', however once applied it is very obvious that they are different. This is a lot less copper toned than Chopper and has no glitter in it. It is a soft warm bronze colour with a metallic finish that works particularly well on blue eyes as it really makes them pop.

Busted;
          This is one of the darkest shades in the palette and is a deep brown colour with a slight metallic finish. What I really like about this shade is that it has some slight mauve tones in it which means it does not look completely flat on the eye. This works well as an all over colour when blended isn't correctly and also works well blended through he crease to add some definition there.

Blackout;
          This is the final shade in the palette and is also the final matte shade. As the name would suggest, it is a matte black. This works great as a crease colour for lots of dramatic definition, or what I also like to do is to too mix it with a little bit if water and use it as an eyeliner.

===~~How do the eyeshadows apply/what do they look like on?~~===
          I am thoroughly impressed with how well these eyeshadows apply. They are of a silky, buttery consistency which means they glide effortlessly over the eye and are in no way chalky or powdery. Due to the silky texture of these eyeshadows they are very easy to blend, meaning that you are left with no harsh lines. I do find that I sometimes can get a little fallout with these eyeshadows, especially the more glittery ones such as Chopper, however do find this can wiped away easily afterwards or simply applying with a tissue underneath my eye can avoid this. I was please to find that all the eye shadows were extremely pigmented and transferred very well from the palette to my eye lid.

What I particularly like with this palette is the endless amount of different looks I can create with this palette. I can go for something as simple as using one shade as a wash of colour all over my eye lids to a full on glamorous and for this reason I really do think there is something for everyone in this palette.

===~~The brush~~===
          I am also very pleased with the quality of the brush that comes with this palette, admittedly although it is not quite as soft as some other brushes I use, it nonetheless does the job required of it. At one end it a small, flat brush which I find really great for packing the colour onto the eye and I find that when using this end of the brush I get minimal fallout. The other is it a slightly domed shaped brush, which is much fluffier which makes it great for popping colours through the crease of the eye and also for blending eye shadow. I have also washed this brush a couple of times now and have found that it has come up as good as new everything and I have not had any problems with the hairs shedding or the likes of that.

===~~The Primer Potion~~===
          As mentioned, you get four small free samples of their primer potion in Original, Eden, Sin and Anti-Aging and I cannot recommend these enough. I do. It have particularly oily eyes however I can often find that my eyeshadow can wear off throughout the day or find that it can begin to look unrest or sink into my crease and for them reasons is really is a life saver. I find that it really prolongs the wear of my eye shadow and really keeps it in place. I find this particularly useful when on holidays in hot climates or going out at night as this ifs often when the appearance of my make up can deteriorate, yet when I use this it really is locked in place.

It does not feel greasy or oily to apply and is in fact very smooth and light. One thing I would say is that a little goes a very long way and often I have made the mistake of applying too much and when I have done this it can feel a little sticky and heavy on the eye.

===~~Overall~~===
          Overall, as you have probably already guessed by now I am utterly in love with this palette and am unsure as to why I took so long in purchasing it! There is also a Naked 3 palette which I cannot wait to buy now! I really cannot recommend this palette enough and really do believe there is something in there to suit anyone's tastes. The eye shadows are all of a high quality and extremely pigmented and due to the fact I only need to use a little amount each time I can really see me this lasting me a while. I have had my original Naked Palette for around two/three years now (which I know is probably not the most hygienic!) and despite using it on a daily basis it is still going strong, so really do think you get good value for money! Despite how much I love it, I would say that the original is still my favourite, that does not mean that I could recommend this palette any less though!

23.07.2014 19:47

Advantages

• "Good coverage "
            • Cheap
            • "Long lasting"

Disadvantages

• "Can feel heavy"

Lasting perfection!

I use concealer on a daily basis, whether it is to cover up under eye circles or to hide imperfections and to me it is one of the most important steps in my make up so I like to know I have a good concealer on which will not only cover what I'd like it to, but also to last throughout the day. In summer time I often just wear concealer alone without any foundation so it is also essential to me that it has good coverage, yet still must be lightweight on the skin otherwise for me this defeats the point of not using a foundation. The latest concealer that I have tried out is this Collection one, which is mainly due to the fact it is very affordable and it also has a big hype surrounding it in the 'beauty world'.

It also claims to be 16 hour wear, which although I never wear my make up for that long, I was intrigued about as I was really looking for a long lasting concealer. Alongside this it claims to be water resistant and transfer proof.

===~~Price and Availability~~===
            As previously mentioned, this concealer is very affordable costing just £4.19. The great thing about this brand is that I also find it is often on offer, whether that be 3 for 2 or buy two products and get one free. Of course if you enough points on your Boots or Superdrug cards then you can also purchase it with these.

Like most Collection items, this is available in the likes of Boots and Superdrug and I have now also seen it being stocked in the likes of a few local pharmacists and have also seen it in a few of the larger Asda stores. Failing to find it in store, it is also available on these shops online retailers.

===~~Shade Selection~~===
            There isn't a very large shade selection for this range and as far as I am aware there are just four different shades available. These being fair, cool medium, warm medium and dark. I tend to find I alternate between the cool medium and warm medium depending on the time of the year and can sometimes get away with the fair shade to highlight under my eyes. I definitely feel there could be more shades available as I feel they are all aimed at fairly pale skin tones and there isn't really anything on offer for darker skin tones, as even the one named 'dark' is not all that dark and sometimes even I can get away with that one if I have been on holiday.

===~~Applying the concealer~~===
            This concealer comes in a small tube with a screw top lid which when unscrewed reveals a sponge application, much like that of a lip gloss. I have used this a few times to apply the concealer and find that it does a good job of dispersing the concealer and does pick up a decent amount, however find that it is almost impossible to blend the concealer in with and tends to just spread it. I also don't really like the idea of applying this over a blemish and then putting the applicator back into the product as then you will be contaminating all of the concealer, so if you wish to apply this over spots/blemishes I would highly recommend popping some of it onto the back of your hand and then go from there with the product.

The concealer has a fairly thick consistency to it and I didn't notice this when applying it and found that to begin with it did feel a little heavy on the skin. Once blended out I found that it did feel a little lighter, though definitely felt noticeable on the skin and did not feel like there was nothing there. I also found that it worked much better when I applied a little and then built up the desired coverage as found this way it felt slightly less heavy.

I used this to apply both to cover any dark circles and to cover blemishes on my skin and found that when doing so it blended out very well and due to the creamy consistency was very easy to do so. I have blended out this concealer with both my fingers and a brush on multiple occasions and found that either do a very good job. Personally, I would actually recommend using your fingers to blend it in as I find this warms up the product a little more which makes it extremely easy to blend in and also find that I am sometimes left with brush strokes when applying it that way due to its thick consistency.

I find that a little goes a really long way, which is most likely due to the thick consistency and therefore often find myself needing way less than originally anticipated. Due to this I find that I only need a few dots of it to cover my whole face on days when I don't want to wear foundation and to me this feels a lot lighter on my skin than wearing a few pumps of foundation. Due to this I can also see it lasting me a very long time.

===~~Results~~===
            I have to say I am very impressed with this concealer, especially considering it's price. It really does have very high coverage and for me covers everything I would want it to. When used under the eyes I find that it cancels out any dark or purple tones leaving my eyes looking much more awake. I wouldn't necessarily say it highlights under the eyes as this is not really what this concealer is for, but does do an amazing job to hide any dark circles before applying a highlighter on top. I have found that I can do this and do not find it to look cakey. This being said, I have found that it does crease slightly under the eyes, even when setting it with a powder. This is after a good four hours or so where and doesn't personally bother me, though is worth keeping in mind.

I also find that it conceals imperfections, spots and blemishes just as well and cancels out red tones just as well as it does purple tones. Although I would not say it conceals them to the point to which there is nothing there, it does do a good job at disguising any and the 'stand out' less. The one thing that this concealer covers very well is any scars or dark spots. I find that the thick consistency and the amazing coverage works really well on these problem areas and would say that they are virtually unnoticeable on these problem areas. I would recommend making sure your skin is well moisturised before applying this concealer as I do find it does tend to cling and draw attention to any dry patched on the skin.

The only slightly downside I have found to this concealer is that sometimes the colour can look a little orange, I especially find this when applying warm medium and sometimes find it is not the most natural looking colour. I have also found that these concealers do tend to oxidise a little on the skin and do get a little darker, so again, I would keep this in mind when selecting a shade.

This does last an extremely long time on the skin and other than the slight creasing under my eyes, I do not find myself needing to touch it up at all. I am unaware as to whether it in fact last 16 hours as I never wear my make up for that long, the longest I have makeup on for is around ten hours and find that it fairs up very well in that time. Despite its thick consistency I do not find it to be too heavy on my skin and actually find that it sits comfortably on my skin, though this is not to say that I do not notice it being there. I find that is can sometimes become a little bit oily looking after around 8 hours of wear, especially in the summer months, though find this is quickly fixed with a little powder or some blotting paper. I would not say that it is completely transfer proof, but I find this with most make up products anyway and have found it to withstand water well up to a certain degree.

===~~Overall~~===
            Overall, I have been very impressed with this make up item and would definitely recommend it. It is not without its faults, as most make up items are, such as the fact it can sometimes look a little orangey and the fact a larger shade selection is definitely needed. I really like the high coverage of this concealer as it really does conceal everything I would want it to, it would be nicer if it was a little less thick in consistency, though again this is just me being picky. Due to the price I cannot really fault it and can definitely see myself going back to this concealer countless times as it is a new staple in my make up bag.

Just a little side note- the writing on the tube rubs off extremely easily and this can often leave it looking messy and a little grubby so if you are one of those people who like their make up items in pristine condition or for them to look neat and tidy then this may not be the one for you!

22.07.2014 15:53

Advantages

• "Blend able "
              • "Not orange "
              • "Looks natural "

Disadvantages

• Brush

Benefit Hoola!

Admittedly, I wear a bronzer all year round, whether this is to add a little colour to my face or to contour, though in summer I really like to up my bronzing a little, especially as my body seems to tan naturally far more than my face does. Personally I prefer my bronzers to be a matte finish rather than the shimmery ones as I believe this gives them a more natural look and then they can also double up as a contouring product. Due to this reason I decided to give Benefit''s Hoola a go as this is one of there matte bronzing powders, it has also been the UK''s number one bronzing product for the last five years!

===~~Price and Availability~~===
              Due to this being a slightly higher end make up product it is certainly not cheap costing £23.50 and admittedly I was a little dubious about spending this on a bronzer, though after having read many positive reviews I was pretty sure I was going to love it.
              You can sometimes find Benefit products on offer, such as buy 2 items and receive one free, or buy 2 items and receive 10% discount, etc. Debenhams also often hold weekends or months when you can receive extra point on your beauty card when buying make up items, including Benefit.

Alongside most Benefit products this is available in larger department stores such as that of House of Fraser, Debenhams, John Lewis, etc. It is also available from independent Benefit stores, along with all the online stores. You can sometimes pick up Benefit items on places such as eBay, however Benefit fakes are often all sold on here so it is worth doing your research and making sure that the seller is trusted.

One of the things that I really love about Benefit is there packaging. All of there blushes/bronzers come in cute little boxes which when opened there is a mirror in the lid (which is not the best quality and is too small to apply make up in etc but is handy nonetheless) and a small brush which can be used to apply the product.

===~~Applying the product~~===
              As previously mentioned, this bronzer does come complete with its own brush, this is a very small, narrow brush which has virtually no handle. I have tried applying with this brush, though have to say I do not like it. I have found that it picks up a good amount of product and does transfer it to the face, though find it has a fairly scratchy texture to it which makes it hard to blend the bronzer out. Due to it being quite flat it also makes it hard to apply to the cheeks and you can sometimes be left with just a ''stripe'' of colour as it''s very hard to blend it. I also found that due to it having almost no handle it sat very uncomfortably in my hand and couldn''t get the right grasp on it, which may be why I was a little heavy handed when applying the product this way.

I have also tried applying this with my own brush and have found this so much easier. When applying the bronzer it has a really soft and light texture to it, which means it is actually very easy to blend in; when using the right brush! I have however found that it is also very easy to pick up too much of the product in which case the bronzer can look very unnatural and to dark. I have found that simply tapping off any excess can easily avoid this though. This bronzer is also very buildable which means you can simply apply it very lightly all over the face for the natural sun kissed look and also build it up in certain areas to contour the face, like just below the cheekbones. I really like the fact that I can do this with just one product. I have found that even when building up the bronzer like this it does not become cakey or unnatural looking, which I think it mainly due to it being such a fine powder.

Despite it being a fairly fine powder I was pleased to find that this bronzer had virtually no fallout when applying and therefore the product went exactly where I would have liked it to go. As previously mentioned, because it is very blend able if it had had any fallout it would have been very easy to fix.

===~~Results~~===
              I was very pleased with the results of this bronzer, perhaps the thing that I was most impressed with was the colour. Alike most people I have a fear of bronzers being too orange and shimmery or too grey toned which can look ashy on the face, though found that this bronzer was somewhere in the middle in where it was a natural looking ''brown'' colour. Even when built up in the likes of contouring I was pleased to find that it did not look muddy on the cheeks and instead looked like a natural shadow.

I have found that this bronzer stays in place all day, even in this hot weather, which I particularly like as I don''t need to worry about it sliding down my face. Despite it being a matte shade I was also pleased to find that it didn''t look flat on my face and instead added a little definition and shape; especially when used to contour. I do sometimes add a shimmery bronzer on top of this just over the cheekbones for days when I fancy a little shimmer and have found that even when applying the two products on top of one another it does not become cakey looking.

===~~Overall~~===
              Overall I am really impressed with this bronzer and can see me continuing to purchase it. Nars Laguna had been my favourite bronzer for a long time before this, but seeing as this one is a little cheaper and is ''more matte'' I can see this one becoming my new favourite very soon! It is definitely still a pricey bronzer costing just over £20, though I do think this is justified a little in both the quality of the bronzer and also the fact that a little really does go a long way so can see it lasting me a long time. I have had mine for around 3 months now and have only made a little dent in it!

The only downside to this bronzer would really be the brush that comes with it as I do think for the price you are paying the quality could have been a little better and the bristles colour have been a little softer. Nonetheless if you are not relying on this to apply the bronzer with then it doesn''t really matter a such.

If you are looking for a natural looking bronzer you can wear on a daily basis, not only to bronze all over the skin, but also to contour then I really would recommend this product and if you can still not justify the price I think it is definitely worth popping on a birthday or Christmas wish list!