jipp05

• Comments

Member since: 23.03.2010

• Corsodyl Mouthwash Mint / Oral Care / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      22.11.2014 10:22

Advantages

• "Effective "

Disadvantages

• "Can stain teeth "
      • "Not the best taste "

Slightly better tasting than the original

I have had trouble with my gums for years due to being a smoker and not having the best oral hygiene when I was younger. I am almost fanatical now about my oral hygiene and brush, use interdental sticks and a good mouth wash twice a day.

Corsodyl has been one of the things that I have used for years in helping to keep my gums healthy. I don’t use it every day but every couple of months I use this instead of my normal mouth wash to help keep any bacteria at bay and kill any gum damaging germs that are in my mouth.

It is a very powerful mouthwash and more a medicine than just a plain mouth wash. It contains the active ingredient chlorhexidine digluconate which is a powerful anti bacterial agent. Now there is no doubt in my mind that Corsodyl actually works and will help get any gum inflammation under control along side a good hygiene regime.

The problem with Corsodyl is that it is pretty disgusting to use and it actually feels as though it is burning your mouth when you use it. It tastes vile. The mint version however is slightly less disgusting that the original version and much more palatable. It still ins’t the nicest tasting mouth wash but it is a little bit nicer than the original one.

Be careful when using this as although it helps it can and will stain teeth if you use it too often. It also sort of numbs the mouth and leaves a strange after taste which lasts for ages afterwards. Just use it for the recommended course and the staining shouldn’t happen and the numbness and after taste will go away.

As well as being great for gum problems this can also be used to treat mouth ulcers and also for the sore gums that denture wearers get.

It costs just under £5 which is a good price for something that is so effective.

22.11.2014 10:10

Advantages

• "Good shape for toothpicks "

Disadvantages

• "Don't clean the gum line well"

Good toothpicks but not for cleaning the gum line

I used to be quite lax with my oral hygiene when I was younger and then paid for it when I was older with gum problems galore. I then became almost fanatical about cleaning my teeth but I was still having problems and my dentist recommended that I floss more.

I don’t like flossing and I just never feel as though it is cleaning out the gaps between my teeth or food and tartar so I switched to interdental brushes to clean out this are and my gums did actually become a lot better.

I bought these without really looking at the packet and just assumed they were interdental brushes and it wasn’t until I got home that I seen that they were essentially just toothpicks and didn’t have a brush part to them and were really just for pushing food out from in between teeth.

Never one to waste money needlessly I still used them but straight away I could tell they weren’t cleaning the area enough. They are made of plastic and shaped to go in between the gaps of teeth and they do go through ok and if I have food stuck there they push it out no problem but they do nothing to clean tarter from the gum line so aren’t really all that suitable really.

Also they are made of plastic and have the sharpest edge which isn’t really appropriate for something that you stick in your mouth through teeth as the gum area is a delicate area and it is so easy to stab your gums whilst using them which I did a few times and ended up hurting my gums and making them bleed.

For me these weren’t suitable at all. They would make better after dinner tooth picks as they are shaped well and that is essentially all that they are and for proper cleaning of the gum line you would be better buying some good interdental brushes instead.

21.11.2014 12:06

Advantages

• "Refreshing and cleansing "

Disadvantages

• "The smell could have been a bit better"

Really good but could have been better

I love the mint and tea tree Original Source shower gel as it is one of the best cheap shower gels that money can buy.
      The lemon and tea tree one shares a lot of the same things that make the mint one so great but it doesn’t quite reach the same heights as that one.

It is a fairly decent shower gel especially when you consider that you can pick it up for only £1 when you hunt about for it.

It contains real lemon oil as well as tea tree oil. The smell of this is good but considering that it contains real lemon it does have a slight synthetic smell to it. It’s nice enough but it could have smelt even better.

It has a thick consistency which lathers well and you don’t need to squeeze out loads of it to get a good lather.

I like the way this makes my skin feel as it leaves it feeling really clean. Tea tree is always something that I like to use as it cleans deep down and naturally leaves my skin looking clearer and this shower gel does a good job of cleaning without being harsh and irritating on my skin.

It is a very refreshing shower gel to use and the fragrance is good for using in the mornings to help wake you up and make you feel fresh and clean.

Overall this is a really nice shower gel and well worth the money but it is just a shame that the smell isn’t quite as good as it could have been.

21.11.2014 10:54

Advantages

• "Can be found cheap"
      • "Refreshing "
      • "Mint smell "

Great mint smell

I really like Original Source shower gels because I think they offer really good value for money. If you hunt around you can usually pick them up for only £1 and they have some really great fragrance combinations.

I also like the fact that they do loads that are designed just for men with eye catching colours and designs.

I love the smell of mint so this is one of my favourites that they do. It smells very minty as you would expect but it is such a natural and fresh smell that it works really well in a shower gel. It feels really refreshing on my skin and works well in the morning to help wake me up and get me ready for the day ahead.

It is a very cleansing shower gel. Sometimes they don’t make you feel really clean but this one does and after using it you feel like you have had a really good deep down clean. It’s great for after the gym to not only refresh you but to make you really feel clean and remove all traces of sweat.

One of the nicest things about this and most of the Original Source shower gels is that they give your body a slight tingling sensation when using them. It is a bit weird when you first feel it but it really works to make your whole body feel invigorated.

The gel itself is really thick and gloopy which isn’t the nicest feeling and you need to be careful when using it not to let it just drop through your fingers and down the plug hole as it takes a few seconds of massaging it between your hands to get a good lather going. Once you have though you do get a really good lather from it to wash yourself with.

It can be used on both your hair and body and actually works well as a shampoo. It is maybe slightly harsher than a normal shampoo but it is fine for using occasionally such as at the gym when you don’t want to take loads of different things with you. It isn’t drying on skin or irritating either.

Overall for a £1 this is a fantastic shower gel. If you like mint then I can’t see any reason as to why you wouldn’t enjoy using this.

21.11.2014 10:53

Advantages

• "Good antiperspirant "
      • "Smells great "

Disadvantages

• "Not very cooling"

Good roll-on but not as cooling as a spray would be

In summer when it is hot and humid I like the idea of anything which is supposed to be cooling and help me cope with the heat.

I bought this because I had the shower gel and quite liked it so wanted to buy this and see if it was as good as helping cool me down.

First of all this has an amazing smell for a high street brand of deodorant. I am a sucker for anything citrus smelling and this has a really nice citrus scent which is not only incredibly refreshing but it also smells much more expensive than it actually is. I would definitely buy this if it came in an aftershave.

With the shower gel it really cooled my skin down and even when I came out of the shower it continued to be cooling on my skin when the breeze hit it but obviously with this being a roll on deodorant that goes on your arm pits it doesn’t have the same cooling effect.

In fact this was just like a normal roll on when and I didn’t notice anything cooling about it on my skin.

It did work fantastically well though as keeping me sweat free even when the weather was hot though it was only my arm pits that were kept dry and I think I would have preferred to use this in a spray so that I could have used it on my entire upper body to help cool it down and keep swat to a minimum.

It is very long lasting though. The bottle says that it has 72 hour freshness and while I never went 72 hours without a shower in the summer I did think it kept going for a long time. I could still smell it at night if I applied it in the morning and it did stop me from sweating a lot.

I only bought this the once but that’s only because I prefer a spray deodorant but as a roll-on this is good but just don’t expect it to have much in the way of a cooling effect.

20.11.2014 20:46

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "horrible smell"

Not one of the better Original Source shower gels

I really like Original Source shower gels because I think they offer really good value for money and the fragrances are all a bit different from what you would expect in a cheap shower gel. Plus I always think that they are suitable for the whole family.

The only Original Source shower gel that I haven’t liked is the lime one because the smell of it is just really cheap and synthetic to my nose and it actually reminds me of a household cleaning product.

I thought that I would like it because I usually like anything that smells of citrus but this was just really offensive to my nose. It didn’t help that it seemed to stay on my skin for ages after washing it off. Trust the one that I don’t like to stay on the skin whereas the ones that I like don’t seem to stay on my skin very long at all.

It did clean my skin well though I did notice that I seemed to need more of it than I usually do with Original Source shower gels just to get the same amount of lather out of it. It also didn’t have that refreshing zingyness that I expect with these shower gels.

The price of this is really good and it only cost £1 but unfortunately due to the scent of this not being to my taste I wouldn’t recommend it. It doesn’t smell like lime but just like some synthetic vaguely citrus smelling gel and it isn’t as good as the rest of the Original Source shower gels that you can buy.

20.11.2014 19:50

Advantages

• "Smells great "
        • "Cools skin "

Disadvantages

• "Not suitabl for face "

Good for cooling skin when hot

In the summer especially abroad it can get really uncomfortably hot and even when you step out of a cold shower you just start to sweat again so I like to use products which claim to cool you down such as this shower gel which contains menthol.

Right Guard Xtreme Air Cool with Air Conditioning may have a silly name but it does what it says on the tin.
        The shower gel smells great and gets you nice and clean but it also cools you down in the shower.

You can notice the cooling effect almost immediately in the shower and it gives your skin a tingling sensation. It is certainly refreshing and good for a morning shower to help wake you up. The real beauty of this is when you actually get out the shower it keeps you cool for longer.

I used this on holiday and when you are abroad and the air is really humid you start sweating again almost as soon as you come out of the shower making you feel a bit grimy again but I noticed with this that it actually did help me stay cool and any little breeze was magnified cooling my skin which allowed me to get dressed without being sweaty.

It is a really nice shower gel but I would only use it in the summer because I don’t imagine it would be pleasant when it is cold as you won’t be wanting anything to cool your skin down more.

This was nice to use on my body but I wouldn’t recommend that you use it on your face because it was a little harsh on my face and irritated it a little bit which is the only thing that I would say was wrong with this as it would have been nice to have a shower gel which was suitable for both body and face.

I bought this in poundland so only paid £1 for it obviously and I think it was well worth this amount. I even went back to poundland when I got home from holiday and bought another one of these as it was hot in this country too. I really enjoyed using this and will certainly be looking out for it next year again.

20.11.2014 11:13

Advantages

• "Smells good "
        • "Not harsh "

Good for sensitive skin

I have really started liking the Bulldog brand as it is very reasonably priced but that low price point doesn’t mean that the brand has scraped on quality. I love the fact that it uses natural ingredients so that I am not putting loads of chemicals on my skin so it isn’t as harsh and irritating on my sensitive skin.

I am more concerned with what I use on my face as it can be really sensitive to certain ingredients and become easily irritated but I have had no trouble with anything from the Bulldog range and although the skin on my body isn’t as sensitive I wanted to try out the shower gel and see what I thought of it as I really liked the moisturiser and the face wash.

It only cost £2.99 so again it isn’t overly expensive. It is a tad more than normal shower gels which you can pick up for around about £1 most of the time but I would say that it is worth it especially if you have a sensitivity to certain chemicals in normal shower gels.

This isn’t just a shower gel to clean your skin but it is actually good for it as it contains a selection of natural oils as well as aloe vera to keep it moisturised. Sometimes shower gels can be really harsh and strip the sky leaving it dry but this helps to keep it moisturised. It also contains some menthol which isn’t enough to make it cold on your skin when using it but it really helps to make it feel really refreshing in the shower and it definitely helps wake you up.

It also smells really good. I like a shower gel that smells good and this one fits the bill. The fragrance from it is also long lasting and lingers on the skin for ages afterwards as there is nothing worse than finding a nice smelling shower gel and not being able to smell it as soon as it has been washed off your skin.

You get a 200ml tube for your money and whilst it isn’t the biggest bottle of shower gel in the world it lasts a long time as you don’t really need that much of it to clean your body properly. I like this shower gel and would definitely recommend it especially if you have sensitive skin as it is much more nourishing than most shower gels.

20.11.2014 08:29

Advantages

• "Smoothes skin"
        • "Fast absorbtion"

Disadvantages

Great basic moisturiser for men with extras

I am a firm believer that men should be taking good care of their skin unless they want to end up looking like a dried out old prune. In this day and age there is nothing to be embarrassed about buying a moisturiser and the skin care companies have caught on with nearly every mainstream brand now doing a range for men.
        Bulldog is a skin care range that has been designed especially for men from the ingredients right down to the packaging. Even the name itself is masculine and designed to ensure that men can buy it whilst still feeling masculine.
        I personally couldn’t even imagine not using a moisturiser because my skin becomes really dry, tight and uncomfortable after washing and I need some moisturiser to get it feeling comfortable again. Also shaving really irritates my skin and I like to put something on it to help take away the sting and also to put some moisture back in it since the razor and shaving gel dries it out so much.
        Bulldog Anti-aging moisturiser is now really easy to find in all the main high street chemists and can even be found in the supermarket. It isn’t in the premium end of the spectrum when it comes to these things but then nor is it in the extra cheap section and at £8.50 it falls somewhere in between the two. Although it is £8.50 I genuinely wouldn’t recommend paying this as I always see it on offer in loads of places and I have never had to pay more than £4.25 for it.
        Although it isn’t as expensive as some of the premium brands that doesn’t mean that Bulldog have skimped on the ingredients and it contains 5 different essential oils in it as well as millet seeds and oak apple tannins which combined are supposed to give you younger looking skin in just four weeks.
        I love the fact that this is a fuss free product as I think all good men’s products should be. You literally just rub a little of this into your skin after washing and that’s it. It has a really nice consistency and absorbs into my skin really quickly and it doesn’t feel heavy or leave my skin looking shiny or greasy. It just makes my skin comfortable feeling and looking healthy with no dry patches. I have really sensitive skin and some products can make me blotchy and red but this doesn’t irritate my skin and I have had no adverse reactions with using it.

20.11.2014 08:26

Advantages

• "Doesn't leave a residue on skin"
        • "Looks good in toilet. washes well "

Disadvantages

Posh handwash for a not so posh price

I don’t use my guest toilet at all as it is only for people visiting so they don’t have to go in the tip that is my bathroom. Because it is for guests I like to have something quite posh looking and I do think this looks quite posh in the toilet. I still can’t get over the fact that it is almost identical on first look to Molton Brown but that’s not a bad thing since Molton Brown is one of the classiest and best toiletries brands you can buy. Unlike Molton Brown though this was a lot cheaper. It only cost me £2.15 and that was for a really big 500ml bottle.

The hand wash itself is a light lavender colour and it is quite a nice neutral colour suitable for use by both men and women. I was a little bit worried that the lavender fragrance might be a bit feminine but as it is only for guests I thought they could either like it or lump it. Besides to my nose it isn’t as feminine as I would have imagined. There is a definite lavender scent to it but it is a more natural smelling lavender than those horrible synthetic smelling lavender products which you can get which smell too floral and unnatural. This smells more like the lavender that you smell in the garden and is quite nice actually. It isn’t something that I would want to shower in but for a hand wash I like it.

The bottle comes with a pump action top which can be twisted to open and close. A couple of pumps is all that is needed to get enough of the hand wash to give a really good amount of lather. This leaves your hands feeling really nicely clean but it isn’t harsh. It feels gentle though skin is left really clean and fresh. It also doesn’t leave that horrible residue that you can get with some hand washes. Once you wash it off that’s it gone though it does leave your hands faintly smelling of the lavender for a while afterwards.

I have to admit being surprised with the quality of both this and the shower gel that I also purchased as to be honest I wasn’t expecting much but it can happily stand alongside those other brands which it is trying to emulate.

20.11.2014 08:04

Advantages

• "Only a small amount needed "
        • "Smells amazing"

Disadvantages

• "Its ridiculously expensive"

Expensive but quality deodorant

If I find an aftershave that I really like then I like to also buy any matching products because I like a fragrance to be long lasting and also strong because if I am spending that amount of money of it then I want to be able to smell it the entire time that I am wearing it. By layering all the products together it just makes the aftershave last that bit longer and helps to give it a bit more projection.

The fragrance contains top notes of lemon, sage and tagetes while the middle notes are praline and cinnamon. The base notes in the fragrance are ebony wood and black amber.

This deodorant smells almost identical to the aftershave itself. There is that initial blast of sweetness followed by the spiciness and I think it is a brilliant smell.
        You can buy the deodorant in either a roll on or an aerosol and I prefer the aerosol mainly because I like to be able to spray it all over my body and not just on my armpits.
        It comes in a 150ml bottle which is designed in the Black XS branding which is all black with gothic lettering and I personally really like the branding because it is undoubtable masculine but it is young and gives the bottle a funky vibe.
        The aerosol is really powerful with this so you only need to hold it down for a second to get enough out otherwise on each pit then a couple of seconds for the rest of your body. Any longer than this and you are just wasting it as this is enough.
        The fragrance from the deodorant is quite strong for a deodorant and can be used on its own for a more subtle way of wearing the scent. Although it starts off strong it does fade quite a lot and you won’t get nearly the same strength or projection as you would with the aftershave. It does compliment the aftershave though and just helps the smell have a bit more projection and longevity.
        As it is a deodorant and not an antiperspirant you can also use this on clothing which isn’t something that I do as I think it is better to spray the aftershave on clothing instead as it will last longer. Unfortunately the downside to it only being a deodorant is that it won’t stop you from sweating though it will make your sweat smell nice. It also doesn't irritate skin or feel overly harsh or sting.

09.11.2014 09:46

Advantages

• "Reasonably priced"
        • "Smells good and is different smelling"

Disadvantages

• "Not suitable for hair "

Good shower gel

Radox do a really good selection of shower gels which are suitable for men as well as women because they aren’t overly floral in their scent. They also do a few especially for men but to be honest this one is also pretty unisex to me and I don’t think a woman using it would get any strange looks though it is slightly more masculine smelling than most.

This has fennel and sea minerals and I think it is my favourite of all the Radox shower gels for men just because it smells a bit different. You can get others with lemon and tea tree and orange ones which smell good but they also smell a lot like loads of other shower gels out there.

This has a really herbal smell which is nice and I find that it is quite invigorating to use. You don’t need loads of it to clean yourself with as a small amount is all that is needed to clean your whole body with. It isn’t drying and it doesn’t irritate my skin either.

It is supposed to be a 2in1 shower gel and shampoo but I don’t really recommend that you use it on your hair unless it is really short as it makes my hair a bit frizzy and straw like when I have used it on my hair. I have used it on my hair when it is really short and it was fine but when it was slightly longer it made my hair look really dry and frizzy.

This shower gel can be picked up quite cheap though for some reason I can never find it as cheap as with the other mens radox shower gels which I can usually find for a pound. I usually end up paying about 1.50 for this one though I don’t mind because it is a different smelling shower gel and nice when I am in the mood for something a little bit different.

08.11.2014 19:36

Advantages

• Cheap
        • "Relaxing "
        • "Smells good "

Disadvantages

• "Bubbles don't stay for ages"

Good for sore muscles

Radox is one of those brands that I always end up buying fairly frequently. It isn’t the best brand but it is reasonably priced and for a low price product I think it is fine. If it was more expensive then I would expect more but I think that when you are only paying 1.00 for something then you can’t expect it to compete with brands like Molton Brown for example.

I used to use the bath salts a lot when my muscles were sore and I felt the need for some soothing but I mainly now use the pourable liquid muscle therapy bath soak when I want a long soak in the bath to soothe my muscles.

I think the muscle therapy one is probably the best soak in the entire range as it just seems to work to soothe sore aching muscles and also unlike the majority of bath foams this has a more masculine smell to it instead of being floral scented.

It has a nice spicy smell which is stronger smelling than most of the rest of the range and it smells nice as soon as it is poured under the tap and fills the bathroom with its scent.

It is supposed to be warming but this is hard to tell since it is used in a hot bath but I do have to say that I always feel more relaxed after using it and my muscles do tend to feel more soothed. I am not sure if this is because of the hot water or the radox but to my mind my muscles do feel better using this than when I just have a bath without it.

An added bonus for me is that this doesn’t dry my skin out or leave it feeling itchy which is a problem that I have with a lot of things which produce bubbles. The bubbles are also a bit longer lasting than they are with some of the other bath soaks in the range. Overall I do think that this is good for the money. It doesn’t feel or smell as cheap as it should given the price and I will continue to use it when I feel the need for some soothed muscles.

08.11.2014 19:24

Advantages

• "Nice smell"
        • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Bubbles fade quite quickly "
        • "Not strong enough smelling "

Nice smell but not strong enough to be really relaxing

Bath foams aren’t something that I use very often because I find the bubbles to be a bit annoying and also they can sometimes react with my skin and make it itchy. Radox is a brand that my skin seems to like and so I can use it in the bath when I want something to help me relax.

This one is designed to relax and aide a restful night’s sleep. I do think that the combination of the smells in it are relaxing but they don’t do anything to make me feel sleepy unfortunately.

It only costs 1.00 a bottle so it isn’t an expensive foam and I do think that you can tell that with this one. I think the scent is quite weak compared to some more expensive ones and I do think that if the scent was stronger it might actually be more relaxing as it is a really nice relaxing fragrance when you can smell it.

If you like bubbles then this is a good one for you as it seems to produce a huge amount of bubbles. Again though I think you can tell it is inexpensive in that the bubbles aren’t as long lasting as some others. These fade quite quickly especially if you use soap in the bath.

I think for the price it is good but don’t be expecting something absolutely fantastic or else you will be disappointed. If you just buy it and enjoy the smell then it is good but don’t expect it to send you off to sleep and don’t expect the bubbles to last forever.

It doesn’t make my skin itch nor does it really dry it out either which is good. I would recommend it but only if you don’t mind the fact that the bubbles won’t last or the smell being strong enough.

06.10.2014 08:38

Advantages

• "Watchable in its own way"

Disadvantages

• "Very generic and acting is bad in places"

Generic but watchable sequel

This is the sequel to the hit 1997 slasher movie I know what you did last summer.

Jennifer Love Hewitt reprises her role as Julie and she is just as annoying here as she was in the first one. Brandy the singer plays her roommate Karla and she is surprisingly quite good here. She is certainly better than JLH and I was surprised that she was such a natural actress as usually singers doing acting are terrible but then I remembered that she used to have her own sitcom back in the 90’s so it makes sense that she was a natural on camera. The rest of the cast is quite small but they don’t get much to do in the movie and poor Freddie Prinze Jr was totally wasted in it and hardly has anything to do and isn’t even in it for the most part. I was surprised to see that Jack Black was in this playing the local stoner as I had no idea he was in it until I watched it again. I am not a fan of Jack Black but he was even more annoying in this than usual and it is surprising seeing this performance that he managed to break out and become such a big star.

There are the usual jumps to be had but not that many to be honest and most of them are from cheap bangs and noises. There is a bit of humour to be found in the film but even a lot of that is unintentional though it did raise the odd smile. Of course being a 90’s slasher movie there had to be a twist concerning the killer but it is in no way as clever or as well executed as the Scream movies and it can be spotted a mile away. I personally think that the faults with the movie lies in the script as the first one might be a little bit dated but at least it was original in places thanks to Kevin Williams script and with him missing in action on this one I think it is sorely noticeable.

Having said all that the movie is enjoyable in its own way and the short running time helps it to zip along to its conclusion. It is by no means a classic of the genre but it passes some time in an enjoyable way if you like these types of movies like I do and its biggest failing is just the fact that it is so generic though for £3 I can#t complain too much.