jipp05

jipp05
  • Comments

Member since: 23.03.2010

06.04.2014 09:52

Advantages

• "Performs well "
      • "Goes with the rest of the range "

Disadvantages

• "Slight stinging when I use it straight after shaving "

Just as good as some more expensive creams

This cream has quite a thick and greasy consistency and I was convinced that it was going to leave my skin looking shiny and feeling greasy but it absorbs extremely well without leaving any greasy residue on it and no shine. It moisturises really well without feeling heavy and is great for men as it is something that you can just put on in seconds and not worry that people can see it as it just leaves my skin feeling fresh and healthy with no tightness or dry flaky patches. I have really weird skin that can be really sensitive to things that go on it and even some products that are designed for sensitive skin can leave me looking red and feeling itchy. Ideally I wouldn?t use anything other than water but without a moisturiser I get dry flaky patches and breakouts so I need to use something but finding something that agrees with me and my wallet can sometimes be a challenge.. Even though this cream doesn?t mention anything about being for sensitive skin I don?t have a problem with using it as it doesn?t give my skin that pink hue that shows something in a particular cream isn?t agreeing with my skin. Nor does it leave my skin itchy. Although this doesn?t give me any noticeable irritation it does sting my neck area slightly when I use it straight after shaving. I have to say that my skin does feel a little bit firmer and I do notice it feeling that way straight after putting the cream on but this is just a temporary feeling but it has left my skin looking really good. This has been a noticeable difference in my skin while using this which was surprising as before this I was using a really expensive moisturiser for me that felt good and I thought was good but my skin is definitely healthier looking and much more even and toned looking. I?d even go so far as to agree with the energising claims as although it isn?t going to make me look like I?ve had a full eight hours when I haven?t my skin does look more hydrated and less sallow. For anybody who wants a no nonsense moisturiser that is going to protect their skin and leave it looking good then I would recommend this. It should be suitable for most skin types as I have really sensitive skin but it is also dry in some places and greasy in others and this is helping with the dry areas and stopping the greasy areas from becoming really shiny and spot prone. For the money this is great and is just as good if not more so than other men?s moisturisers that I have used which cost two or three times the price. The only slight concern is with the slight stinging that it gives me on my neck after shaving but even this is mild and it wouldn?t put me off recommending the cream.

• Robyn - Robyn / Music Album / 32 Readings / 31 Ratings
        15.03.2014 19:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

A brilliant pop album that deserves to be heard

Swedish pop princess Robyn first burst onto the music scene in the late nineties with her international hit 'Do You Know (What It Takes)' which was released from her debut album Robyn Is Here. After Do you know and the next single Show me love being big hits on both sides of the Atlantic Robyn was poised to be the next Britney Spears but she became disillusioned with being made to record and perform songs that weren't her so returned back to Sweden and continued to make music but it wasn't until the dance collaboration with Kleerup 'With Every Heartbeat' became a surprise hit that she was once again thrust onto the music scene outside of Sweden. I remembered Robyn from back in the nineties and liked her but never thought twice about her once she disappeared and it wasn't until after 'With Every Heartbeat' became number one in its first week of release did I take an interest in her again. I was surprised to discover she was still making music and good music at that and was surprised it had taken as long for her to be able to break through again as the music of hers that I could find was better than the majority of the dross in the charts at the time. The album was originally released in Sweden in 2005 and by the time this was released in the UK in 2007 I was already hooked on her music and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I wasn't disappointed with the album and it remains one of my favourite albums to this day and is one of the few albums that I own both a physical copy and a digital one. The album is a mishmash of styles but the majority of it is elctropop dance music but there are also elements of hip hop and other styles in there to. I really admire the fact that she founded her own record label to release this so she wouldn't have to compromise on her artistic point of view and luckily for her it works really well as it isn't generic pop but there is enough mainstream music on it to make it commercially viable to a larger audience which I think it deserves as there is some brilliant songs on this album and it deserves to be heard by as many people as possible. Robyn has such a sweet voice with a real fragility to it that works well with this type of music. Some of the songs have a sad undertone to them but an upbeat catchy melody and her voice works perfectly singing these sad lyrics over these uplifting dance tracks. There are some complete bonkers songs on the album such as 'Konichiwa Bitches' which really deserved to have been a hit but unfortunately only got to number 98 on the charts. The lyrics to this song are so bizarre and off the wall but they work perfectly and it is such a good dance/hip hop track which shows Robyn's skills as a song writer. One of the best things about this album and Robyn in general is her ability to write lyrics which really go with the song. She has a real skill with writing and being able to put her point across succinctly in the song. The song 'Who's That Girl' deals with the pressures of being a woman and it is a song that all young girls should listen to and take a leaf out of her book and not conform to what peer pressure assumes they should behave like. Some of the songs on the album deal with unrequited love but Robyn turns it around and instead of bleeting on about how some man doesn't want her she turns it around to how he wouldn't be able to handle her anyway. The elctropop of the album works really well and all the songs have a great backing to her singing. Although it is only a few years old a lot of the music that came out at the same time as this already sounds dated but the songs on this album still sound fresh and I could easily see them fitting in with songs that are in the charts in 2014. Standouts on the album include the already mentioned 'Konichiwa Bitches' as well as the track which reignited her career 'With Every Heartbeat' which may have a simple hook and simplistic lyrics which end up repeating on themselves but it just works really well as both a dance track and as a really good breakup song. I have heard a slowed down acustic version and the combination of the lyrics and Robyn's fragile voice show the song to be more than just another throwaway dance track. Other stand outs for me include 'Be Mine' and 'Handle Me' both of which manage to capture her essence as an artist well. I think this is a superior album from one of the best musical artists out there and although she is successeful she deserves a bigger audience for her music as she isn't afraid to take risks with her music but at the same time the album is completely accessible and not too off the wall. I am all for singers experimenting and changing things up but at the end of the day if I am going to be buying an album I want something that I can listen to again and again and enjoy and not some experimental album that only appeals to 1% of the buying public. At the end of the day this is an album chock full of classic pop songs which with few exceptions are all excellent tracks. It has been a while since Robyn has come out with a new album and I am looking forward to hearing new music from her but in the mean time I can continue to listen to this album as well as her others and anticipate what she is going to come up with next. Track listing 1. Cirriculum Vitae (Feat Swinfly) 2. Konichiwa Bitches 3. Cobrastyle 4. Handle Me 5. Bum Like You 6. Be Mine 7. With Every Heartbeat (Feat Kleerup) 8. Who's That Girl = 9. Bionic Woman 10. Crash and Burn Girl 11. Robotboy 12. Eclipse 13. Should have Known 14. Any Time You Like 15. Jack You Off

15.03.2014 10:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great album full of hits

One of my favourite singers of all time has to be Sheryl Crow as I just adore her voice and think she is an amazing lyricist even if sometimes her lyrics are a little kooky if you listen to them properly. Her songs always tell a story and as a bonus her music is great to sing along to in the car. Over the span of her career she has released eight studio albums and sold more than 50 million records worldwide so she has an extensive back catalogue of songs. To get a good taste of her style and music then her greatest hits album 'The Very Best of Sheryl Crow' is a good place to start as it contains nearly all her major hits in the one place. The album starts with All I Wanna Do which was her first hit from way back in 1994 (I can't believe it was that long ago). While this is a brilliant song and has amazing replay value it isn't very indicative of the rest of the album. The song is just too happy and sprightly in comparison with the rest of the album even though the lyrics are a little bit darker than you might imagine given the lightness of the melody. It is still one of my favourites to play in the car though on a long journey. The second song on the album is a later hit Soak up the Sun and again it is a little bit happier than the other songs but like most Sheryl Crow songs it has a great hook and it makes you want to bob your head along to it. The rest of the album is made up of songs which are a little bit edgier and more rockier but there are a few country songs thrown in for good measure. Crows voice is perfect for country tracks and she manages to convey the melancholy of the lyrics perfectly. Picture is a perfect example of this. It is a duet with Kid Rock who was her boyfriend at the time and it is a country/rock hybrid song about a couple who have broken up but are still in love with each other. The usual sort of thing but both Crow and Rock manage to elevate it from the usual generic country song and make it something much more. Kid Rocks record label couldn't get permission from Crows to release it as a single so it was rerecorded with Allison Moorer an American country singer singing the part that was originally Crows and having listened to both version the one on this album is far superior. As you would expect the album contains all her greatest hits and the songs that you would expect to be included on the album are all here. There is Everyday Is A Winding Road, If It Makes You Happy, Leaving Las Vegas, Run Baby Run, A Change Would Do You Good and My Favourite Mistake. All these songs have stood the test of time and to me they don't sound dated in any way and could still be released tomorrow and sound new and fresh. If It Makes You Happy with its immediately recognizable guitar riff and its catchy chorus is a personal highlight and my ultimate favourite driving song. Again although the lyrics are darker than the melody suggests there is something about it which is ultimately uplifting. One of the things that really distinguish Sheryl Crow from a lot of other winger songwriters for me is the strength of her writing. She isn't afraid to tackle issues such as racism, violence towards women, prostitution, depression and even abortion but she writes them in a way that makes the songs still accessible to everyone without being too preachy. It doesn't hurt that some of the lyrics are completely bonkers and make no sense as this appeals to me. Through it all though she manages to sing with passion and conviction which elevates the songs above what they might have been otherwise. I think this is the essential collection of Sheryl Crow tracks. There are some absolutely classic songs on this album and for fans who already own some of the albums that the songs came from there is the inclusion of some new tracks including a cover of The First Cut is The Deepest which was released as a single to promote this album and ended up being a big hit. There are a couple of other unreleased songs here which aren't as strong as the rest of the album but still good and on a normal album would be considered great but up against these hits they just can't compete. The album is available as either a physical disc or a digital copy. I bought the physical disc when it first came out but as it is one of my favourite albums I have also got the digital version and I still listen to it often so it has great replay value. I obviously have my favourite songs on the album but it is one of the few actual albums that I own where I don't have to skip tracks as all of them are strong tracks and there is no filler here as such as each of the tracks have something to recommend them and of course Crows voice sounds amazing on each and every track. Track Listing: 1. All I Wanna Do 2. Soak Up The Sun 3.My Favourite Mistake 4.The First Cut Is The Deepest 5. Everyday Is A Winding Road 6. Leaving Las Vegas 7. Strong Enough 8. Light In Your Eyes 9. If It Makes You Happy 10. Run, Baby, Run 11. Picture (Kid Rock Duet Version) 12. C'mon C'mon (Corrs Version) 13. A Change Would Do You Good 14. Home (Album Version) 15. There Goes The Neighbourhood 16. I Shall Believe 17. Let's Get Free

14.03.2014 10:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good quality sleeve from Belkin

I have been buying Belkin products for years as I have always found them to sell the highest quality products but at a fraction of the price of some of their competitors. They do seem to be getting more expensive than they used to be but the quality still seems the same and they are still cheaper than most if not as cheap as they once were. I currently have a Samsung Ultrabook which is 13.3 inches in size and I wanted a sleeve for it so that I could throw my laptop in my backpack and not have to worry too much about it getting bumped or scratched with keys etc. The Belkin sleeve I picked was one of their more expensive ones but it had so many good reviews that I thought it was worth paying a little bit extra to ensure complete protection for my laptop especially since my laptop had cost me hundreds of pounds I didn't want to baulk at spending a fraction of this on a quality sleeve for it. The sleeve retails at full price for £29.99 but I bought mine from a third part Amazon seller for £18 so I was really pleased with the price. The sleeve is made from neoprene and I was surprised and a little bit disappointed to find that when it arrived only one side of the sleeve is actually padded and I had bought it on the assumption that both sides were padded. Luckily the neoprene is fairly sturdy so even with it only having one padded side it still offers good protection. It looks very stylish and as mine is black is less garish than some of the other colours which are on offer. It is designed to fit laptops that are 13.3 inches in size and mine fits well. It is a snug fit which is what I wanted as I wanted the sleeve to snugly fit it for extra protection and so it wasn't sliding about inside. The neoprene and padding offers good protection but it is only designed for stopped minimal bumps and scratches and isn't really designed to protect it from being dropped from a great height. For backpacks etc. it is great though and really does stop keys and small bump from causing any sort of damage. The neoprene fabric is really sturdy and one of the things that I like about it is that as well as offering some shock absorbsion it also looks good for ages. With some fabrics they start to look frayed and tatty when using them but the neoprene looks good even after being used loads and will withstand a fair amount of abuse before it even shows any signs of wear and tear. There is a zip compartment on the front of the sleeve which is handy for storing a few extra items but it is very thin so you won't be able to store a lot in it but it will do for things like USB sticks and even a wireless mouse as long as it isn't a really thick one. This is a really good quality sleeve and I have no reservations in recommending it as long as it is suitable for your needs. It will protect against impacts and stop your laptop from getting scratched and damaged but it won't protect against heavy duty bumps and drops so if you want to fully protect your laptop then you should maybe invest in something else but if you are looking for something lightweight and sturdy that means you can put your laptop in a bag and not worry about it then this is ideal.

• Bush AE56T / Cooker / 32 Readings / 32 Ratings
          07.03.2014 09:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good and reasonably priced cooker

When I first moved into my house the kitchen needed a complete overhaul and there was no built in appliances. Because I had other more important things that needed to be done first I couldn't afford to do the kitchen straight away so I needed a new cooker. As I was planning on getting a new kitchen with a built in oven and hob I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a cooker so I went online to find one that was cheap but decent. After looking for ages I finally decided upon buying this cooker as it was a very reasonable £179.99 and had decent reviews on various websites from people who had bought one. I decided on getting an electric cooker simply because they were cheaper and easier to install. Ideally I would have got silver but this one was only available in white at that price and as I didn't plan on having it that long the white didn't bother me that much. At least it is a nice white colour and the contrasting black glass panels on the oven and grill work well and help to make the cooker look more expensive than it actually is. Most of the other cookers in this price range only had single ovens with grill and one of the reasons that I chose this one over others in the price range was because it had a separate grill on it which for me was a must as I know when cooking it is always better to have separate cooking areas and there is nothing worse than when using the oven and then wanting to use the grill and having to wait ages for the food in the oven to cook before you can switch the grill on. The oven is a good size with a 52 litre capacity and it has two shelves in it so you can cook a Sunday dinner for example easily as there is room for both a chicken and a tray for veg and potatoes etc. It is quite a roomy oven which was a relief when it arrived as it is hard to tell when you are just looking at something online. The glass has a clear viewing area so that you can see food when it is cooking without having to open the door and let all the heat out. The doors themselves close tightly and don't let the heat out and feel secure and snug when closed. They are also fairly easy to open without having to really pull hard. There is also an interior light inside the oven which is bright enough to illuminate the whole oven and everything that is in it. On top of the cooker there are four hobs two large and two smaller ones for different sized pans and pots. I was a bit wary about using these as my experience of electric cookers with these types of hot plates was that they took ages to get hot but I was pleasantly surprised that these heated up really quickly and didn't take long at all to be at full heat. The same goes for the oven and the grill and everything on the cooker heated up really fast and cooled down quickly too. The main oven has an energy rating of B so it is petty energy efficient for an electric cooker and I never noticed it using tons of electricity when I had it so it shouldn't cost an absolute fortune to run. Of course there are more energy efficient cookers out there and certainly ones that are better looking and roomier etc. but they usually cost a lot more than this one and for the price I paid I haven't got a lot of complaints about it. This did me really well until I had saved enough to get a new kitchen with an integrated oven and hob. I love my built in oven and hob but I do still miss this one and had I not got a new kitchen and built in appliances then I would have happily continued to use this cooker as it is a perfectly decent cooker for a really good price and I think it is well worth the money and it is ideal for someone looking for a new cooker on a budget.

06.03.2014 18:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good quality and reasonably priced netbook sleeve

I nearly always buy Belkin products when it comes to things for my computer because they are always excellent quality and always much lower priced than competing brands. This is the sleeve that I had for my old netbook that served me really well and protected my netbook from scrapes and bumps. I checked my Amazon history and I paid £8.99 for this which I think is a really good price. They are currently being sold direct from Amazon for £13.99 but they can be bought from third party sellers a little bit cheaper. I would have to say that I think this is a good price as although I haven't used this for ages since I now have an ultrabook I found it in my spare room earlier and it still looks absolutely immaculate. The sleeve is made from Neoprene which looks and feels like a sort of soft fabric rubber. It looks and feels like what a wet suit is made from and is soft and slightly spongy so is good for protecting delicate laptops. The one that I have is exactly the same as the dooyoo picture and is black on the outside and red on the inside. It has a zip for opening and closing the sleeve and even this is good quality and zips opened and closed perfectly and it doesn't get caught or feel stiff. This protects really well so is ideal for throwing into your bag or backpack. Even though the sleeve isn't all that thick it does protect well. A hard case might be better to protect your netbook or laptop from really heavy items and high drops but that isn't what this sleeve is for. It is to protect your laptop or netbook from light pressure and also just to stop it getting scuffed and banged about in a bag. I found this to be quite roomy for my netbook and it wasn't a struggle to get it in or out. It is just a sleeve though so there is no room for cables etc and if you need to be able to fit your cables and chargers then you need to get a proper case and not just a sleeve. I used this sleeve for ages and all the time as I used to carry my netbook around with me in my backpack all the time and as I said it is still in excellent condition so it is certainly really good quality. I no longer use it as unfortunately it doesn't fit my ultrabook but I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good quality netbook sleeve that is between 10 and 12 inches.

06.03.2014 11:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not one for me

This was a blind buy that I bought at TK Max for only £6.99. I saw the Diesel name and as there was only one on the shelf I decided to buy it without smelling it first. I love aftershaves and have a big collection though I have been buying less than I used to and am trying to stick to those that I know and love but I thought this was too good a price to turn down. The aftershave comes in a see through plastic dome case so you can see the bottle underneath it which is pretty funky. The bottle itself is made from red glass with silver etching on it. The size is 75ml so you do get a decent amount of aftershave for your money. Unfortunately I doubt that I will ever make use of the 75ml as I really just do not like this fragrance and am surprised with how cheap and nasty it is considering that it comes from Diesel. I have smelt Diesel Plus which comes in a white bottle and it is vastly superior to this version and I cannot understand why Diesel would cheapen their brand by releasing something like this. Obviously this is all subjective and even though I might not like it other people obviously must or otherwise it wouldn't still be for sale. The aftershave has several notes in it which are: Top notes of Orange, Nutmeg, Anise, Bergamot and Cardamon. Middle notes include Cinnamon, Violet, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley and Rose. The bottom notes are Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla and Heliotrope. I would defy anyone to be able to smell most of the notes that are included in this aftershave as they all jumble together to form an overpowering and slightly obnoxious smelling fragrance. First of all this is an extremely strong smelling aftershave. I normally complain aftershaves don't strongly smell strong enough but that certainly wouldn't be a problem with this one as even one spray is enough to be completely overpowering. Any more than a couple of sprays and I can imagine this offending everyone in close proximity to the wearer. Straight away this is extremely alcoholic smelling which is surprising considering that it contains 82.5% alcohol in it. Once the alcohol smell dies down you are left with something that smells a lot like baby powder but obviously without the subtlety. There is quite a hit of spice to it too but this smells weird when combined with the sickly sweet smelling baby powder scent. All together is just a strange mix of smells that in my opinion just don't combine well and also smell cheap. I find it to be sickly smelling and it actually offends my nose which is unusual for me as I can usually find something good about most aftershaves. I think this would be suited to a more heavy handed teenager than someone looking for something that is sophisticated and grown up. This is a brash and shouty fragrance and I can imagine it fitting in well in a lot of nightclubs where it could compete well with other strong smelling fragrances.

• Memorex EB50 / Headphones / 24 Readings / 24 Ratings
          05.03.2014 09:19

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

Good quality and reasonably priced headphones

I spend a fortune on headphones as I am always either leaving them on trains or else I just can't find a pair when I want them so need to pop into the shop and buy myself a pair. Also for some reason headphones never seem to last a long time with me so because of this I don't like to spend a lot of money on them. I bought a pair of these Memorex ones as I was spending the day in Manchester and I had left the headphones that I took with me on the train. I have got so used to wearing headphones and listening to music when I am on my own that I get bored walking around without them. I went in to a little electronic shop and these were the cheapest headphones that they had in stock and were £8.99. This is a couple of pounds more than I really wanted to spend as I had more at home and they only had to last me for a few hours and also the journey home on the train but I thought if they were decent then at least I had another pair of spares for the next time I couldn't find the headphones that I want. The headphones are white with a little bit of light blue metallic colouring on them and they are in ear ones which are now the only headphones that I like to use as the in ear ones help keep out more outside noise as well as being more comfortable to wear and less likely to fall out of my ears. The headphones came with three different buds to use with them which means that no matter the size of your ear canal there was a bud that you can attach which should make them fit comfortable and securely. I used the smallest buds as these were the most comfortable for me. They are comfortable enough to put in my ear and once in they feel secure without being too snug and uncomfortable. They fit well enough that a slight tug of the wire won't dislodge them which is something I hate as there is nothing more annoying than getting my phone out of my pocket and accidentally nudging the wires and the buds coming out of my ear and constantly needing put back in. The wire is a good length and I can attach these to my phone and then have my phone in whatever pocket I want. I like to wear my phone in my back pocket and with some headphones the wire is too short so it ends up pulling the buds in my ear and feels uncomfortable but that isn't a problem with these as I can put the phone in my back pocket and these is still some give with the wire. I own one really good pair of headphones that I keep especially for holidays to wear on flights as the noise insulation in them is amazing and I never expect cheaper headphones to be able to compete with them. These aren't as good but they do a good job considering that they cost less than £10. The sound is crisp and clear and they do a good job of cancelling out outside noise. That day in Manchester when walking around the city centre these really worked to keep out most of the outside noise and the same with the train back again I could just sit back and relax with my music without hearing everything that was going on around me. Also they have a really good volume on them. With some headphones even when my phone volume is turned up as high as it possibly can go the volume through the headphones is still low. With these I actually had to turn the volume down on my phone to just over half as I found that this was loud enough for me to hear everything but not too loud that it was going to hurt my ears or damage my hearing. There is no crackling with these headphone and when I get a message on my phone it beeps through the music but doesn't interfere with the sound quality. Because these have a standard connector you can use these headphones on anything that has a 3.5mm output which pretty much includes all electronic equipment such as phones, mp3 players, tablets and even laptops. For less than £10 these headphones are excellent quality. They might not be quite as good as a pair that cost £100 but for the price I have been really impressed with them. They have really good sound and also feel comfortable in my ear. Hopefully I won't lose these ones but if I do at least I haven't spent a fortune on them and have had good use out of them so far and I would definitely buy another pair to replace them if I do happen to lose them and am looking for a reasonably priced good quality pair of headphones.

04.03.2014 21:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fashionable and good quality wallet

I really like Diesel clothing and accessories and own a few items by them including jeans, jackets, belts and my wallet which is also a Diesel one. They are expensive but they make really good quality classic items which last for ages and remain fashionable for years. I have had my Diesel wallet for about a year and a half now and I originally bought it from Asos in their sale for £30 reduced from £50. The wallet is one that I use mainly for when I am going out as it is a lot smaller than my normal day to day wallet plus it doesn't have a coin holder which is fine for a night out but is something that I wouldn't consider not having for my main wallet as I need somewhere for my coins to go and if I am wearing trousers there is nothing worse than a load of coins bulging out the back pocket. For a night time wallet this is fine though as I go out in jeans 99% of the time and I don't mind having coins in my jeans pocket. This wallet is mainly used for carrying about my going out cash card (I use a separate card for going out with instead of my main one so that if I lose it drunk then it isn't a complete disaster) as well as a couple of loyalty cards and my cash. There are six card compartments and a cash billfold. With my main day to day wallet it is normally bulging to capacity with cards, receipts, train tickets and general clutter that always accumulates in wallets so it is very bulky in my pocket and not only looks weird but isn't very comfortable. With this wallet because it is smaller and also because I don't tend to stuff it as full with junk it looks a lot more streamlined in my pocket. The size is also really good for easy access to it in my pocket. My jeans pockets aren't very loose so with a bigger wallet I have to really dig my hand in to try and get it out which takes time when you are trying to get served at the bar but this one just slips out of my pocket easily. The quality of this wallet is absolutely excellent as well. It came presented in its own gift box and is made from 100% leather and you can tell it just from looking at it. The leather is good quality and not a cheap one. You wouldn't mistake this for a cheap synthetic one either. I always like about Diesel that for a designer brand it isn't always about how it looks and they always seem to put a lot of effort into their workman ship too. The stitching on the wallet is first rate and it is still tight now a year and a half later with no threads coming loose. The leather has softened with age but it hasn't become tatty and worn. Of course looks are important and you wouldn't buy a Diesel wallet if you didn't want it to look good and my wallet has a raised metal Diesel logo on it. The logo is all individual letters and again these are still tightly stuck to the wallet with no looseness to them. I would highly recommend this wallet to people. It not only looks fashionable but it is also very well made and although it isn't the biggest wallet in the world it is practical enough if you just keep cash and cards in it and don't fill it up with rubbish like I have done with my other wallet. The small size makes it nicer to have in your front pocket because it doesn't protrude as much and feels much less cumbersome than bigger wallets. Of course it also looks sharp too which if you were paying £50 for it then you would be wanting it to look smart too. Overall for me I think this is a great wallet and one that I have been very happy with the overall quality of it since owning it.

04.03.2014 17:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good face wash for men

I received a Maca Root gift set from my aunt for Christmas and as part of the gift set it included a face wash. The Body Shop do a whole series of MAca Root products which have been specially designed for men's skin. The range includes face washes, shaving creams and moisturisers and is quite reasonably priced especially when compared to some products which have been designed especially for men. Normally face washes are on the cheaper end of the scale in product ranges but this one is a little pricier than I expected at £8. Since the moisturiser is only £10 I expected this to be about half the price especially since the moisturiser lasts a lot longer than the face wash does. It is a good face wash though and cleans the skin without stripping all the natural oils from it. Like the rest of the Maca Root range this smells great, so good in fact that I am going to buy myself the Maca Root deodorant as the smell is so nice. A little bit of the face wash is enough to get a really good lather and when I put it on my face it really feels as though it is actually cleaning my skin. When I wash it off my skin looks clearer and really feels like it has been cleaned deep down. This is usually evident when I rinse my face in the basin as I can see the dirt that has come off with the wash in the water. It is disgusting to think that my face can get that dirty in such a short space of time. I really liked the fact that this cleaned deep down as I tend to get spots if I am not using a good face wash that deep cleans. This kept my skin looking clear and removed excess grease and shine and I didn't experience any breakouts and in fact the odd spot that I did get wasn't as red or angry as I usually get. It also didn't irritate my skin or leave it red. Nor did it leave my skin feeling dry and tight after using it. My skin was left quite comfortable. I always followed up with the moisturiser because if I don't moisturise then my skin tends to misbehave and start overproducing oil but if you have normal skin then you might get away with just washing and not using a moisturiser as it isn't drying in the least. The only thing about this that didn't like was that it took absolutely ages to rinse it all off my skin. When rinsing it off it didn't just take a couple of splashes of water but I had to keep splashing it for ages otherwise the foam was still on my skin and I could feel it sitting there. This wasn't an issue when using it in the shower but when I was washing my face in the sink I quite often had to fill the sink up a couple of times to clean it all off my skin. Overall though this is an excellent face wash and really good for men's skin as it cleans it without drying it and stops it from becoming shiny and greasy. The Peruvian Maca Root used in this range must do something as since using it my skin has been looking really good and a lot clearer so I will certainly be sticking with it for the time being.

01.03.2014 09:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

A cheap and rubbish pair of electronic bathroom scales

I bought these scales because I had stupidly dropped my other ones and broken them. My old ones had been fairly cheap but they were electronic and worked fantastically so I was annoyed with myself. I like dot keep an eye on what I weigh as I find it so easy to pile on a few lbs quickly and if I do not take action then and there I can easily find myself having put on a stone in a matter of weeks which then takes a lot longer to lose. I bought these EKS scales from Argos and the sole reason why I picked them was because they were the cheapest electronic scales that were available. I assumed they would be fine as I didn't want any fancy extras on them such as a body fat measurer and these were simple scales that just measured weight. The scales look fine and are made of glass so they will sit in a bathroom unobtrusively and they don't look particularly cheap or nasty even though they cost under £10. They came with batteries already included so they were ready to go straight out of the box. As I said there are no fancy extras with these scales and all they do is weigh you. They have an electronic LCD screen and to use them all you have to do is stand on the platform and wait to see what you weigh. You can weigh yourself in either lbs, stones or kg's by just pressing a button on the underneath to change it to whatever you want. So far so good but unfortunately I found these to be absolutely rubbish. I couldn't believe just how inaccurate they actually are. Every time that I weighed myself I was getting wildly different readings from them and not just a lb or so but the difference could be up to half a stone at a time. I tried them out on different floor surfaces as I know that they should be placed on a flat and solid surface but even then I could get the same reading. Even keeping them in the same place meant getting a different reading just from stepping on and stepping back off again. Another really annoying thing about these scales is that the button on the bottom that you push to change from stones to kg would press into the floor loads when I was standing on them so I would look down to see what I was and it would be in kilos even though I had it set to stones. I still have no idea what it is that I actually weigh. I'm choosing to believe it is the lighter weight but I couldn't be sure what it actually is. These scales only cost £9.99 at Argos but I couldn't recommend them to anyone as in my opinion they are not fit for purpose.

26.02.2014 13:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

A soothing and protecting shave cream

I received a Maca Root gift set at Christmas that contained a face wash, moisturiser and a shave cream. I have always tried to take care of my skin but this was a brand which I was unfamiliar with and hadn't tried before. The shave cream came in a 125ml tube and you can pick it up from The Body Shop for £5.50 or you can also buy a larger 200ml tub which costs £8.00. The cream is white in colour and it has a really nice fresh smell to it as does all the Maca Root range. To use the cream on your face you just have to squeeze a small amount out and then rub it over your wet skin. I am actually using a shave brush which I bought from The Body Shop and it works perfectly with this. A little does go a long way and a small amount is enough to completely cover my face and neck in the cream. I do use more when I have used it just with my fingers but even then I don't need to use as much as I always think I will need. I have used oils and things in the past and while they work well I can never get past the feeling that they just don't feel right on my skin and so I usually stick to using a foam. The problem with foams is that they can be really drying or else they can be really thick and while this protects my skin they can clog up the razor and stop me from getting a really close shave. This cream doesn't present me with that problem because although it is really thick on my skin for some reason my razor has no problem getting through it to my stubble giving me a close shave. It really does protect my skin though as it seems to work with the razor and help it glide on my skin and over my stubble while still leaving a protective layer on the top of my skin so that the razor doesn't feel like it has taken the top of my skin and left it tender and sore. It also really helps to keep dryness to a minimum and moisturises it while I am shaving and this is noticeable when I wash it off after shaving and can feel how soft my skin is. There is no dryness and it is actually noticeable to the touch and to my eyes how much more moisturised the bottom of my face is where I used the cream compared areas where I haven't such as my nose and forehead. I get really dry skin so I always use a separate moisturiser anyway afterwards but if you are lucky enough to not need to use one then this would probably be enough to keep your skin feeling comfortable after shaving. My skin is also really sensitive and there are a lot of products which just don't agree with it including some shaving creams and gels. I haven't had a problem with this and in fact I think it has actually helped my skin as I have seen a reduction in redness after shaving since using it along with less stinging. I have been really impressed with the quality of this as I wasn't expecting it to be so effective coming from The Body Shop but it is as good as anything else I have used and blows cheaper ones out of the water. I will definitely be buying myself it again when I have finished my tube because it is lasting for ages so will work out cheaper than a larger and cheaper bottle of foam and it is making my skin feel much better than it was before using it with the other brand of shaving foam that I was usuing previously.

• Scream 4 (DVD) / DVD / 28 Readings / 28 Ratings
            25.02.2014 10:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not as good as the other films in the series but better than most in the genre

The original Scream trilogy was one of my favourite movie series when I was a teenager so when I heard that they were making a fourth film my initial thoughts were that A: why wait so long in between and B: I hope that they don't ruin it. My initial concerns were alleviated when I read that not only were the original cast members (well those that survived) all back but that original director Wes Craven and screen writer Kevin Williamson were also going to be back writing and directing respectively. As soon as the film was released I went to see it at the cinema as I didn't want to wait for the DVD release and also I didn't want the ending spoiled for me by accidentally reading something on the internet. I remember coming out of the cinema feeling slightly disappointed with the film but I still had to buy it on Blu-Ray when it was released to not only complete my collection but also so I could watch it again now that my expectations were a little bit lower. ~~~~~~~~~~ plot ~~~~~~~~~~ The plot of Scream 4 takes the franchise back to the town of Woodsboro where it all started. Sydney Prescott is now a successful writer having written a book about the events in the previous Scream movies told from her perspective. Dewey is back in Woodsboro and is now sheriff and he is married to Gayle who has given up her career in showbiz to settle down and make a life with him in small town America. When Sydney comes back to Woodsboro for a book signing havoc ensues once again as a series of killings start happening based on the original killings in Scream. ~~~~~~~~~~ Opinion ~~~~~~~~~~ I think that having had such high expectations when seeing this at the cinema clouded me a little as I enjoyed it much more viewing it at home than I did at the cinema. It isn't as good as the original trilogy but it stand up well against films in the same genre. Each Scream film starts with an opening death scene that lays the foundations for the main movie. The most memorable of these was definitely the Drew Barrymore scene in the original movie and the filmmakers have never been able to live up to or match the intensity of that particular scene. Here instead of going for scary they go for clever instead having several scenes that incorporate the movie within the movie Stab. It is interesting but I feel as though a trick was missed as although unexpected and clever they seem to have spent more time on tricks than trying to get the balance of suspense right. The beginning is filled with a host of hot young actresses such as Anna Paquin and while it is interesting and enjoyable it doesn't really leave work as well as it could have. The main part of the film starts with an entirely new set of teens in peril which includes Sydney's niece played by Emma Roberts who does an ok job of playing the damsel in distress. Another new addition to the cast is Hayden Pannitiere who's snarky horror loving character is probably one of the most successful of the new cast. Although there is a new cast of teens getting sliced and diced the original characters get plenty of screen time. Never Campbell has barely aged a day since the original film back in 1996 while David Arquettes Dewey is still the same loveable doofus. Courtney Cox is back playing a slightly different Gayle Weathers here. She has given up her life of celebrity to move to Woodsboro with Dewey and relishes the new killing spree as it gives her a chance to get back in the game. The original Scream movies were famous for their tongue in cheek social commentary and there 'rules' on surviving a horror movie. These rules are still there but they have been changed slightly to go with the digital age. The movie script is still razor sharp and offers some great lines and I liked the fact that being a completely different movie to the other three that some of the lead characters might actually die or else even be the killer in this one. There are loads of red herrings littered around the film with nearly everyone being a suspect at some point. There are also a lot of plot holes but I was willing to overlook these are they didn't really take away from the film. Without giving anything away the killer and reason behind the killings was an apt and clever move but the execution of it again wasn't done to its best potential. The movie zips along at speedy pace up until the last 15 minutes or so when to be fair it should have ended in my opinion 15 minutes earlier but the filmmakers obviously decided to wrap up everything neatly just in case there was another sequel. One thing that I always liked about the Scream films was that they were fun and this one is no different. It makes such a nice change to watch a horror movie that doesn't revolve around torture porn or found footage and it makes the film feel a bit old fashioned but in a good way. It isn't a particularly scary film but it is a lot of fun and an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. ~~~~~~~~~~ Blu-Ray Extras ~~~~~~~~~~ I bought Scream 4 on Blu Ray because I have the others on Blu Ray and needed this to complete my collection but I have to say that I was so disappointed when I got my disc home and realised that there was no added extras on the disc whatsoever. There are some trailers for other movies that play before you can get to the movie menu that can't be skipped which is really annoying and then when you get to the main menu you are just presented with the film and a trailer. I am not usually one for watching all the extras on a disc but I was actually looking forward to the ones on this as I wanted to hear from the actors as well as Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven about what it was like to be back making a Scream film after so many years. I can only imagine that they were saving the set for a special set but already owning all four films on Blu-Ray I certainly won't be purchasing them again and I think it was a blatant rip off not to include any on this disc. As far as picture quality goes the HD Blu-Ray quality looks gorgeous with colours reproduced well and there is great clarity and everything looks sharp and good. The sound is also good with everything clear and loud but not overwhelmingly so. ~~~~~~~~~~ Recommendation ~~~~~~~~~~ The original Scream film made over 100 million dollars at the box office and was a phenomenon at the time. The subsequent sequel also managed to make over 100 million while the third came close. This one didn't make anywhere near that amount of money but I don't think that it was a case of this not being a good film but more to do with the fact that they had left it too long in between the movies and people were no longer interested in the franchise as much as they had been. The movie isn't as good as the original ones but it is still a blast to watch and I for one enjoyed revisiting the characters and being introduced to the new ones. The writing is still razor sharp and the direction tight and pacey. It is a really enjoyable movie and if not for the lack of extras on the Blu-Ray I would have scored it a little bit higher. I think the movie is probably a four star film. It isn't a classic and won't win any awards but it is a lot of fun. The Blu-Ray would only get two stars and that is only because the picture quality is so good. I would recommend the film for people who like these types of films but just go in expecting a fun ride and you will enjoy it. Go in like me and compare it to the originals and you might be left disappointed.

20.02.2014 09:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good car air freshener that is less synthetic and more true to life than most

I am a smoker and although I have tried to cut back on smoking in the car I am still doing it occasionally especially when I am stuck in it for long periods of time. This combined with the fact that I can be a bit slobby and don't clean my car as often as I should can mean that it isn't as fragrant as it could be. Because of this I always use an air freshener and at the minute I am really liking the Yankee Candle car air fresheners as I only discovered them a few months ago but I have tried a few now and they are far superior to most of the other car air fresheners that I have previously used not only in the variety of the fragrance on offer but also in the quality of the fragrance that they provide as they smell a lot fresher and more natural than most other brands available and are highly scented without being artificial and sickly smelling. I bought the Sage and Citrus car jar online without having smelt it first which can sometimes be a big mistake as if you are going to be putting a fairly strong smelling freshener in your car then you should probably smell it first to make sure you actually like it but the description of the scent really appealed to me and I was sure that I was going to like it as I love the smell of sage and I thought combining it with citrus smells would work really well. Luckily when it arrived and I put it in my car I really liked it so much so that I have also bought one of the candles for my house. The car jar comes shaped like a Yankee glass lidded candle so you can tell straight away from this who it is made by. There is some string in the top for you to attach the air freshener to your rear view mirror or wherever else you might like to place it. It is easy to attach to the rear view mirror and it stays in place without falling off and the string is strong enough that it won't snap with the slightest pressure. This car jar is supposed to smell of sage with hints of lemon and talc. As soon as I opened the wrapper on this car jar I could smell it and the intensity of the air freshener only deepened when I hung it. It is a very potent smelling air freshener and it completely enveloped my car so much so that after only being in the car for an hour or so when I opened the door and got in it was the only thing that I could smell. It managed to mask completely the lingering smell of smoke to the point that even my friend who is a non-smoker thought I hadn't smoked in the car for weeks. The scent of this one isn't really as strongly sage as I expected and the 'hint' of lemon is much more prominent than I thought it would be. This isn't a problem for me however as I love the smell of lemons and the hint of herbal sage that is combined with the lemon is a really nice mix. This is very fresh and clean smelling which is exactly the kind of smell that I was looking for to mask the smoke smell in my car and to just help freshen it up slightly without it smelling strongly of some artificial headache inducing scent. As I mentioned this is a really strong smelling car freshener but at the same time even though it is strong and penetrates the whole car it isn't an overpowering scent so it doesn't smell cloying or completely overpower the senses. I like the fact that this is very natural smelling unlike so many other car air fresheners which smell artificial and can be a bit sickly. Sometimes with these other artificial air fresheners they can be overpowering for me especially when the heating is on in my car and they can cause me to feel a bit nauseous but I have never felt this way with this particular air freshener or any of the Yankee car jars for that matter because the fragrances are strong but natural and not too overpowering. Sometimes lemon based home and car fragrances can smell like a kitchen or bathroom cleaner because the lemon smell is artificial but this is much more true to life smelling and is in fact really just a pleasant and clean smell. I really love the hint of sage and although I wish the sage had been a little bit stronger it might actually have been a little bit too overpowering had it been stronger and the combination of the sage and lemon is excellent and they work so well together and I can't understand why there aren't more candles, fragrances etc with this particular combination. I have now tried a few different Yankee car air fresheners and I can't imagine that I would ever bother going back to using anything else as these are such a superior quality in comparison to most others. The fragrance of them is designed to last for up to 4 weeks and with most of them that I have tried they have actually exceeded this 4 weeks but not so with this one. This is the only disappointment with this particular car jar in that it only had the intensity for about 2 weeks and then abruptly faded so much so that by about 3 weeks there was only the slightest hint of fragrance still coming from it. It is a shame that it didn't last longer as it is such a nice fragrance but I did enjoy it for the 2 weeks that it lasted. This only cost me £1.99 so even for the 2 weeks that it lasted strongly it is pretty good value for money and once you smell it you will immediately notice how superior it is compared to the other more synthetic car air fresheners on the market. I will definitely be buying it again once I have got through the other car jars that I have to use up first and I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for an air freshener for their car that smells fresh and clean and helps mask any bad odors from smoking etc.

• Scream 3 (DVD) / DVD / 50 Readings / 49 Ratings
                09.02.2014 10:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good movie to finish off the trilogy

Scream 3 is the third and final film in the original Scream trilogy (it now counts four films in the series but when this was released it was envisioned to be the final film) and was released in 2000. Unlike a lot of horror sequels which are cheap straight to DVD cash ins this film manages to not only retain a decent budget but it also brings back original director and the main cast from the other two films. Unfortunately Kevin Williamson is no longer back as the writer of the film but he did write the outline of the film for screen writer Ehren Kruger to complete. ********** Plot ********** This time the action takes place in Hollywood where there a Hollywood studio is making a movie based on the happenings in Scream. Dewey has been signed on as a consultant on the movie while Gail Weathers is in town anchoring a news show. Scarred by the events in the previous movies Sydney has been keeping herself in seclusion in a remote woodland cabin and not telling anyone except Dewey where she is to keep herself safe but when a spate of killings start at the movie studios she knows she needs to come out of hiding and face up to her past and put a stop to them. ********** My opinion ********** For most people Scream 3 is the weakest of the franchise and while I agree it isn't as good as the first and second movie I actually really like it and take away the fact that it is a sequel to such strong entries and compare it to other movies in the same genre and this stands head and shoulders above most. A lot of the strength of the Scream movies come from the Scripts written by Kevin Williamson and since he isn't back on board on this one it is noticeable. The script lacks some of the razor sharp social commentary of the first two but Ehren Kruger does a good job of coming on board and fleshing out Kevin Williamsons original treatment. The script is clever and funny and still has lots of tongue in cheek moments. There was a lot of talk in the movie about how the end of a trilogy means that all the rules of horror movies are torn up and that no one is safe anymore and I was genuinely curious as to if they would kill off any of the main cast. I won't spoil it for you but there is some hairy moments for the characters that we have come to know and love. I also thought the ending was really successful and cleverly managed to tie in with the other two movies and it actually made sense in the scheme of the movies. I really love the change of scenery that setting the film in Hollywood brings and I think it works well for franchise. There are lots of new characters in this such as the cast of the Stab films who are playing the characters from the Scream films that we know so well. All the stereotypes that we have come to associate with Hollywood are here such as the ingénue, sleazy studio boss, air head actress and loads more and they are played with aplomb by some famous and not so famous actors and actresses. British export Emily Mortimer plays an actress who is portraying Sydney in the films while Indie princess Parker Posey plays a version of Gayle. Both these actresses overact terribly but I assume that this is how Wes Craven wanted them to play their parts since they are playing exaggerated versions of well-known stereo types. The main cast play their characters how they were in the previous two films. Sydney is the only one who is played slightly different and I actually liked how she started more vulnerable in this film before finding her inner bad ass again. A few famous faces pop up in the film including Patrick Dempsey, Jenny Mccarthy and even Carrie Fisher. Red herrings are dotted all over the film and I think it does a good job of racking up the tension and throwing you off the scent as to who the killer is in this one. The death scenes aren't quite as ingenious in this one and it all seems a little watered down. The reason for this is that when making the film the filmmakers were getting a lot of pressure about violence in movies and felt the need to tone it done somewhat. I don't think the film suffers a lot from less graphic violence but at the same time it has also taken away some of the intensity from the chase scenes which does make it a little bit less thrilling. Overall though I think the film is a success. I personally really enjoyed this chapter in the trilogy and really liked the change of scenery basing it in Hollywood as it made such a change to have a horror film of this type set here rather than set in small town America and at least the film makers didn't just decide to rehash the first one. It isn't as strong as the other two films in the franchise but it is still an excellent movie and a must for fans of the first two. ********** Blu Ray ********** The extras on my disc are all a bit ho hum and there is nothing really original or exciting about them. There is an audio commentary on the disc by director Wes Craven and the producer and editor and this isn't as good as the one on the original Scream and is a bit dull actually. I think it would have been better had a few members of the cast joined in because then at least it would have been a bit livelier as overall it is a bit dull and I couldn't even finish it. I was excited to see that there was an alternative ending but was disappointed that it was pretty much the same ending with only a few changes and didn't really add anything to the story. I was hoping that it would be a completely different ending with a different killer just so I could compare and contrast even though I was satisfied with the original ending. There are also some deleted scenes which are ok but there is nothing particularly special about them and I could see why they weren't included in the final film. There are also some behind the scenes footage which isn't anything special. The outtakes are ok and diverting enough but the inclusion of a music video isn't really needed. Like the rest of the Scream Blu Rays that I have the extras are ok but these are the type of movies with fans who are really interested in the behind the scenes happenings and unfortunately they are just a bit bland and it would have been nice had they been a bit more indepth. The audio and picture quality is really good and a marked improvement over the normal DVD release. Everything is sharp and clear and colours are reproduced clearly and bright. ********** Overall ********** Overall I love this film. It isn't quite as good or as thrilling as the first two but it is still an excellent movie in its own right and had it not been part of the Scream franchise then it would be much more highly thought of. It is less thrilling and less violent than the previous two and the comedy aspect has been racked up on this one which actually works well as the Scream films have always been a bit tongue in cheek. It is certainly an enjoyable movie and I would recommend it to fans of the other Scream films and to anyone who likes this particular genre.