jipp05

Member since: 23.03.2010

• I love cake....

• Tesco Cushioned Plasters / First Aid / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
      20.05.2015 09:56

Advantages

• "Cheap and good "

Disadvantages

• "Would be nice to have a variety of larger padded areas"

Good cheap plasters

I have bought some cheap plasters from Tesco before and they were useless and just didn’t stick to my skin and kept coming off but as I got these from my mum for free I wasn’t going to complain or say no especially as I had a blister on my heel that was painful.

The plasters come in a pack of 20 and it is nice that they come in different sizes so you can pick one out that will fit without having to cut it to size. They have a cushioned middle so are ideal for things like blisters to help protect it and stop the area from getting any more damage. The cushioning really helps with the pain as it stop anything putting pressure on it which immediately makes something like a blister feel better. The padded area could do with being a little bit bigger as sometimes I get massive blisters and the padded area wouldn’t be big enough for them but for small blisters it is fine.

Cheap plasters are sometimes a false economy as they just don’t stick and end up coming off within seconds of putting them on but these were actually quite good and the adhesive on them was strong enough that they stuck to my skin and actually stayed in place even on my heel which is usually an area that is hard to get a plaster to stick to for any length of time. The plastic covering that you peel off is also good as it just comes off without having to spend ages trying to get your nail under it to peel it.

I was actually quite impressed with these plasters. They are only £1 for a packet of them and I think that is really good as they are almost as good as plasters which I have bought for 3 times as much and it just goes to show that you don’t always have to buy the expensive ones to get something decent. Its just a shame that all Tesco’s own branded products can’t always have the same quality across the range all the time.

• Listerine Original / Oral Care / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      20.05.2015 08:59

Advantages

• "LEaves mouth feeling really clean and fresh "

Disadvantages

• "Stings a little "

Good but intense

I didn’t always take care of my teeth as well as I do now but for the last few years I have made sure to brush them thoroughly twice a day as well as using mouthwash and interdental brushes and it has made a huge difference to the overall health of my mouth.

Listenine is a great mouthwash option if you suffer from bad breath or tender gums as it is amazing as cleaning out your mouth and killing the germs that live in it. The only slight problem with Listerine is that it is quite intense and not the most pleasant to use.

They do milder versions but I do think that the original seems to be the best when it comes to leaving your mouth feeling really clean as just swilling this around your mouth for 30 seconds after brushing will leave it feeling incredibly clean.

Be warned though that it isn’t the most pleasant mouthwash to use and it can actually feel as though it is stinging your mouth after a few seconds and sometimes it is difficult to make it to even 30 seconds without wanting to spit it out. The results are worth it though and after swilling this in your mouth for 30 seconds it will leave it feeling clean and fresh for the whole day. Sometimes with a milder mouthwash you use it and your mouth feels fresh but it doesn’t last longer than 10 minutes but with this one the feeling really stays with you for hours.

It is a widely available mouthwash though for some reason the other versions of Listerine seem to be stocked more but you should still be able to pick it up in supermarkets or chemists and it will cost you about £3 for a large 500ml bottle.

• Weleda Citrus Body Lotion / Weleda / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      19.05.2015 21:32

Advantages

• "Isn't greasy "
      • "Moisturises "
      • "Smells good "

Disadvantages

• "The smell is a bit one note "

good but not quite as good as the shower gel

I can get really dry skin so I always have to nearly always moisturise after a shower or bath. The thing that annoys me about putting moisturiser on after a shower is that i like to use a shower gel that goes well with whatever aftershave that I am planning on wearing and usually the moisturiser is a totally different smell to the shower gel.

I bought a duo gift set of Weleda citrus body wash and body lotion for the bargain price of £10 when normally the set sells for £22. I wasn’t sure what they would smell like but I was confident that I would probably like them since I love wearing aftershaves which smell of citrus. Because they were part of the same range I knew that the body lotion would smell the same as the shower gel and go with a nice citrus aftershave that I have.

The moisturiser smells slightly different from the shower gel but it is almost the same and smells enough alike that if you like the shower gel then you will like the smell of this. It is just a little bit lighter which is what you want from a body lotion.

I liked this as it was a really nice consistency and light enough that it didn’t feel heavy or greasy on my skin but it was still moisturizing enough that it helped with my dry skin and kept it from drying out and getting itchy.

Whereas I found that the shower gel was really invigorating I did find the smell of lemons in this to be a bit one note and I think that I would have found it a bit overpowering had it been any stronger. I think that it is just because it smells so natural and even though I love the smell of citrus I like it to contain some sort of spiciness just to stop it being so one note.

It was still really nice though and because the fragrance is so unisex it is suitable for both men and women. It is a bit expensive if you were to pay full price but I do think it is a really good quality body lotion so if you like the smell enough then I think it would be would be worth buying.

19.05.2015 21:22

Advantages

• "Really refreshing and invigorating "
      • "The smell is good "

An invigorating shower gel

I bought a Weleda citrus gift set which contained both a body wash and a body lotion in it when I saw it in a shop for only £10. I knew Weleda was expensive so I thought this was a really good price and looking online I see that it is normally £22 to buy.

I love the smell of lemons and have loads of different aftershaves which contain citrus as the main ingredients but I think it is hard to find a nice shower gel which has a good citrus smell as a lot of them can end up smelling like furniture polish.

This is a really high quality shower gel and one that actually smells like citrus. It’s a really nice smell and one that is very refreshing and invigorating and will definitely leave you feeling awake after using it in the shower.

It contains both lemon and orange which work really well together as the orange helps to neutralize some of the sharpness of the lemon but still leaves it with that really refreshing smell.

I have really dry skin and a lot of shower gels can really dry my skin out and leave it feeling itchy but this was really good as it didn’t dry my skin out or leave it feeling itchy afterwards. It has a slight greasy feel to it when you are using it which helps to stop it from being drying but when it is rinsed off the greasiness goes with it and it just left my skin feeling comfortable and without any dryness.

It didn’t give much of a lather but I found that it didn’t really need to as it spread really well and even without the lather it left my skin feeling really clean.

This was a really nice shower gel to use but for me the main reason to buy it would be because of the smell as it is a really good one and is ideal for both men and women as the fragrance is very unisex smelling.

• Casio Classic MQ-24CC-4B3EF / Watch / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      19.05.2015 21:01

Advantages

• "Functional and well made "
      • "Nice retro styling"

Disadvantages

Cheap basic but funky watch

I love wearing a watch and wear one almost everyday and have a big collection to choose from. I have a few really good expensive watches but the majority of them are just cheap basic watches that I tend to buy online when they are on sale.

I bought this watch from ASOS when it was reduced in the sale. It was originally £20 but I got it reduced to £6 when they were having a summer sale and I was really pleased with the price that I paid.

It isn’t a fancy watch but for £6 it was a right bargain. It has a black strap and is quite plain but what makes it stand out is the fact that the face of the watch is a bright pink which really stands out against the black and makes the watch look much cooler than a plain black watch would normally be.

Although it is quite a basic watch in that it basically only tells the time it is splash proof and it is very well made and much better quality than a similar watch would be from a high street shop. It is a lightweight and comfortable watch when it is on my wrist and good for wearing to the gym or running when I wouldn’t want to wear anything expensive.

It runs on a battery which will last for ages before it runs out but the battery is easy enough to change when it finally does give up the ghost. It also comes with a 2 year manufacturers guarantee so in the unlikely event of something going wrong with the watch then you can be assured that Casio will fix or replace it. I haven’t had a problem with this particular watch but I have had another Casio watch which needed fixing and they were great and sent me a new one straight away.

This would make a nice present because it comes with a really nice presentation box which again makes it look more expensive than it actually was.

13.05.2015 13:49

Advantages

• Cheap

Good value kindle case

I love Belkin for cases and covers and they can be bought online inexpensively and they are nearly always good quality and just shows that you don’t always have to pay a lot for a good quality cover or case.

The folio case for the kindle only costs about £5 and it is one of the better cases that are available to protect your kindle and keep the fragile screen from getting broken.

It is available in a few different colours and I have a blue one but I have also seen it in red, purple and black. It is made to look as though it is leather but obviously for the price of the cover it isn’t really leather but it does a good job of looking like a premium leather.

Inside the cover has a soft lining to stop scratches and the kindle is attached to the cover by elastic which is on all four corners so this keeps the kindle in place. Occasionally one of the bits of elastic will come off the kindle but because it is on all four corners it does a good job of stopping the kindle coming loose and falling out.

Even though it is cheap it has a magnetic closing which is normally found on more expensive covers. The magnetic closing is so easy to open but it is strong enough to keep the cover closed over your kindle until you choose to open it yourself.

Inside there is a pocket where you could keep cards or receipts etc. I find this pretty redundant but it's there if you want to use it. When the cover is on it does add a bit of bulk and weight to your kindle but I actually don’t mind this as it isn’t too much and because the kindle is so light to begin with the extra weight and bulk just make it feel a bit more solid and less toy like.

• HTC Desire Eye / Smartphone / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      13.05.2015 13:13

Advantages

• "Stylish and powerful"

Disadvantages

• "Battery life could be better"

Flagship specs without the flagship prices

It is usually first impressions that attract us to buying something and I immediately liked the way that the HTC Desire Eye looked. The first thing to be aware of with the phone is that it is a pretty large phone. It has a 5.2 inch screen and while the bezels on the side of the phone are tiny the bezel on the top and bottom of the screen are quite large which makes the already big phone even bigger. It certainly isn’t a phone for people with small hands.
      he screen on the HTC Desire Eye is great as it is big and bright and everything looks good on it from reading a webpage to watching a movie on the train. It is full HD and a pleasure to watch things or read on it.

There is a 13MP camera on the back of the phone which takes great clear pictures with a powerful flash. What makes this phone stand out over the majority of phones is that it also has a 13MP front facing camers too. Normally on phones the front facing camera is usually much worse than the main camera and is usually between 2 and 5 MP so this is the first time that I have seen a phone with such a powerful front facing camera. It really is pretty good and if you are into taking selfie pictures then this is the phone for you. The pictures taken with the front facing camera are just as good as the main camera and everything taken with it comes out so clear. There is also a front facing flash so you can take pictures in any light conditions.

Calls are clear and the microphone picks up everything. It connects with a bluetooth headset and there aren’t any problems with it dropping calls. It also has brilliant speakers on it so it can actually be used hands free. Usually when making hands free calls the speakers are terrible and crackly and can’t really be used but the speakers here are clear and loud and calls are actually quite pleasant.

My biggest bug bear with modern phones is the battery life as they usually terrible. Unfortunately this phone doesn’t do much to change that as it is decidedly average but will get you thorough a full day before needing charged.

You can buy this phone unlocked for about £350 and for that price the phone is good value when compared to other new phones with the same specifications. If you are looking for a good value smartphone that can do everything that the top of the range ones can do then you should consider looking into this one.

06.05.2015 10:51

Advantages

• "Protects the Nexus from getting scratched "
      • "Fits perfect "

Disadvantages

• "A little bit expensive "

A good case for your Nexus 7

When I first bought my Nexus 7 a couple of years ago I bought a couple of different covers to go with it including an official one from Asus. I bought it thinking that since Asus was the maker of the Nexus 7 that it would fit perfectly on it.

It was a little bit more expensive than the other generic case that I bought but I did actually think it was worth it as it was a really good case. I paid something like £29.99 for it but it can actually be bought now on online for as £12.99 which is a fantastic price for this particular case.

It comes in a variety of colours but I just got a plain black cover to match the Nexus. The case comes with a hard shell at the back which you clip the Nexus 7 into and then on front there is a folding cover so the Nexus 7 is completely covered from all angles so you can put it in a bag and not worry about the back or the screen being scratched. It actually offers really good protection for your Nexus and it doesn’t add too much weight or bulk to it either.

The front part of the case which covers the screen is great as it automatically puts your Nexus to sleep when you close it preserving the battery and wakes it up again as soon as you open it. The cover can be opened flat but can also be folded so that it transforms into a stand where you can stand the Nexus up and watch movies instead of having to hold it for long periods in your hands.

The cover fit the Nexus absolutely perfect. When in the hard shell it fits snug and secure and even dropping the Nexus won’t dislodge it. It really does keep the Nexus well protected and stops it getting damaged or scratched. It is a little bit more expensive than some generic case but at least you can be assured that this one will fit well.

24.04.2015 12:03

Advantages

• "Not too bulky "
      • "Strong and rigid "

Disadvantages

• "Slighlty more expensive than some "

Tough but slim

There are tons and tons of cases and covers for phones but not all of them are made equally. You can quite easily pick up a TPU case for your phone for a couple of pounds that will give adequate protection against minor scuffs but if you want something that is going to offer better protection then you need to go for a material that is more rigid and hard wearing.

The Spigen Armour case is great for giving serious protection to your LG G2 and unlike a lot of these so called tough cases it is quite attractive too. Just because you want something tough doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style too.

The case is a little bit more expensive than the cheap flimsy covers you get and it ranges from about £10 to £15 pounds to buy but it is worth it if you are looking for something that is really going to protect your phone and not just help stop getting it scratched.

The case comes in a nice range of colours which is complemented by the black at the top and bottom. I bought it in white but it is also available in much brighter colours too if you want something that is going to stand out.

It is made from a polycarbonate plastic which is strong and rigid and will stop any damage happening to your phone when it is on. It fits really snug and securely and doesn’t slip off like some covers do. It doesn’t cover the screen so you will still need a screen protector if you are worried about it getting scratched but it does have a lip to stop the screen from touching surfaces when the cover is on.

This is one of the better tough covers as usually they are really bulky to the point that you can barely fit your phone in your pocket when they are on but this one is one of the slimmer tough covers and you can actually still get your LG G2 in your pocket when it is on the phone.

23.04.2015 20:07

Advantages

• "Protects phone from bumps and scratches"
      • "Good bright colours and pattern"

Disadvantages

• "Not the cover for serious protection "

Good protection in a funky cover

I had a Cruzerlite case previously with an old phone and now everytime I get a new phone I check to see if they do a Bugdroid case for it as I really like them and they can be bought for next to nothing online.

I actually ended up with two of them for my LG G2 because I couldn’t decide what colour to get as the colour choice is absolutely huge and they come in all sorts of colours so no matter what colour you want there will be a case in it.

This time I ended up with a black and a red one. I got black just for a change because I normally go for something brighter but I just thought the black might show off the pattern of the case better. The pattern on the case is designed to look like a circuit board with an Android droid on it. It is pretty funky looking and a nice change from plain covers. The colours are very vivid and even the black is a really dark black so it stands out a lot and they both look really good on the phone.

The case is made from TPU which just looks and feels like rubber. It isn’t rigid so it isn’t designed to protect your phone from big drops but should protect it from bumps and small falls. The nice thing about it is that it covers the edges of the phone making a lip which also protects the screen when you place it screen side down on a table to stop it from getting scratched.

I have noticed that with the previous Cruzerlite cases that I have had for other phones the colours start off bright and vivid but they do tend to fade a lot after a couple of months but that wasn’t an issue this time and they retained their colour the whole time that I had them before I got a new phone.

I only paid £2 each for the covers online though they do sell for more than that on some sites but for £2 I think that they are great and I can’t really fault them. They don’t add a huge amount of bulk to the phone and although they aren’t for really severe drops they give good protection from small bumps and stop the phone getting scratched.

23.04.2015 19:56

Advantages

• "Decent protection"
        • "Bright colours "

Disadvantages

• "Faded and won't protect from big falls "

Bright funky case

This was the first case that I bought for my Nexus 4 as when I was browsing online looking at cases this was the one that jumped out at me straight away. It was available in a huge array of different colours all of which were very bright and striking. I ended up going for a sort of lime green colour but no matter what your favourite colour it was bound to be available in the selection.

The reason that this jumped out at me so much was mainly the bright colour and also the circuitry pattern on the back of the cover which was designed to look like a circuit board with an Android bug on the bottom. I just thought that it looked pretty cool and would help make my phone stand out more.

The case is made from TPU which if you don’t know just resembles a sort of flexible rubber which you attach to the back of your phone. You just have to clip the cover over the phone and because the TPU is so flexible it stretches over absolutely fine. Once it was on it fit well and although not tight it didn’t come off unless I chose to take it off and switch covers.

As a protector this didn’t really offer the maximum protection for the phone as it wasn’t rigid but it did protect the phone from minor bumps and stopped the back getting scratched. There was a slight lip over the side of the phone when the cover was on so I could place the phone screen side down and it wouldn’t touch the surface so it also stopped the front getting scratched.

Even though the case is very bright I wasn’t expecting it to be semi transparent so you could actually see the phone underneath. Now I would normally like this as if you are spending loads of money on a phone then you should want to be able to see it but for some reason I don’t think it worked all that well with this cover, perhaps because the phone was black and the cover was green.

Overall I really liked this cover and thought it looked good though I did notice that it faded quite a lot after a couple of months and I could noticeably see the difference in colour between the sides and the back which wasn’t there when it was brand new. At the end of the day though the cover was only a few pounds so it wasn’t bad value for money as far as cases go.

• Philips AE 2330 / Portable Radio / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
        22.04.2015 13:21

Advantages

• "Splashproof "
        • "Good sound "

Disadvantages

• "Slightly tinny"

Better than expected shower radio

There is nothing better than listening to music and singing along in the shower. It not only wakes you up but gets you in the mood for the rest of the day. Unfortunately it usually means cranking up the music in the bedroom as loud as it can go and listening to it in the bathroom.

If you live alone then this isn’t a major problem but if there are other people in the house or you have neighbours then they probably don’t want to have to listen to your music blasting through the house. Luckily there are ways and means around this these days. Whereas in the past you couldn’t really take anything electrical into the bathroom with you as it would end up being destroyed (or electricating you) there are loads of electrical products which are now waterproof like this radio.

I bought this not expecting too much but it was on offer for only £20 when it normally sells for £34.99 so I thought that I would buy myself it and hope it wasn’t rubbish. The reviews were mainly positive so I was confident that even though I didn’t think it was going to be as good as my DAB radio it would do for listening to in the bath or shower.

The radio is made of plastic and is fairly basic looking in its design but it does have a little handle so that you can hang the radio from your shower nozzle if you want. It has a built in clock which seems a bit of a waste of time to me but I suppose if you are someone who doddles in the shower and need to keep an eye on the time then it might be useful. The main reason that I don’t get why they bothered putting a clock in it is that the clock disappears to be replaced with radio station frequency instead and surely if someone is buying this they are wanting it for a radio which makes the clock a bit obsolete in my mind.

I was expecting the sound quality on this to be pretty poor but it is actually not bad at all. It is a little bit tinny but is certainly listenable and clear enough to enjoy and I have had earphones which are tinnier than this. Overall it is pretty good and more than adequate for listening to in the shower or the bath. The volume can be controlled and you can set it to a decent level of volume for hearing over the noise of the shower and it can go loud enough that you can really sing along if that is what you want to do.

22.04.2015 12:18

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Uncomfortable to wear "
        • "Slight hiss that was noticeable"
        • "Tinny sounding "

Uncomfortable and tinny sounding

I honestly have a problem when it comes to earphones. I am forever misplacing them or just leaving them lying about and losing them and I am so used to having music playing when I am out and about that it is strange for me to actually not have any so I am always having to buy new pairs.

I really must learn that cheaper isn’t better when it comes to headphones because I have yet to find a really good pair that are dirt cheap. I bought these ones and although they only cost me about £3 it was a waste of money as they are really useless.

They don’t advertise themselves as being anything but basic earphones and that is ok as it is all that I wanted but I did at least hope that although they were basic I would be able to enjoy listening to music whilst walking about with them but the sound quality is so terrible with them that it was almost impossible as they are just so tinny sounding. The music wasn’t very clear and there was a constant slight hissing in the background which really annoyed me. For some reason the right side was also noticeably quieter than the left side which really frustrated me.

They were also really uncomfortable to wear and either I have weird ears or they haven’t been designed very well as I found it almost impossible to keep them in my ears and they kept falling out.

I would never knowingly buy these again as though they were really cheap they weren’t worth the money and the sound quality was bad with them. They would do in an emergency if there was absolutely no other earphones around but I would be heading to a shop as soon as possible so replace them just as soon as I got a chance.

22.04.2015 11:43

Advantages

• "Ones of the best protectors for your phone"

Disadvantages

• "Bulky "

Tough protection for your Nexus 4

You can buy cheap silicone type cases for all phones which don’t add too much bulk to a phone and can be bought in a range of bright colours but they don’t offer the best protection. If you are wanting something that is really going to be tough and protect a phone from drops then you need something more rigid like this one.

The Nexus 4 is a nice looking phone but because it is made from glass front and back it is liable to smash if it gets dropped. When I had my Nexus 4 I was always extremely aware of this fact so owned a few cases for it. As well as protecting the phone though it is also just nice to be able to change a case and have something a bit different.

The Armourdillo case does cost more than a bog standard silicone case but if you are serious about protecting your phone then it is worth the extra money to buy it as it is one of the best cases you can buy to give tough protection. It is more rigid than a lot of cases and also a lot thicker so if you do drop your phone then this should do a good job of making sure than no harm comes to it. There is also a slight overhang on the front of it which protects the screen of your Nexus 4 too.

Of course the trade off for this level of protection is that it does make the phone much bulkier and adds quite a bit of bulk to it. I personally wouldn’t use this if I was planning on keeping my phone in my jeans pocket but if you are going to be keeping it in a bag or a jacket pocket then it isn’t much of an issue.

One thing about this that I love but isn’t as practical here as it is with a phone with a larger screen is that there is a little flip out stand on the back so that you can prop it up to watch movies etc without having to hold the phone. I personally thought the Nexus 4 was a little bit too small for this but if you find it comfortable it is a great feature. This is one of the best cases for protecting your NExus 4 from getting broken but it does cost more than some cases and you can expect to pay around about £14.99 for it.

22.04.2015 11:26

Advantages

• "Protects the back of the phone"
        • "Cheap to buy"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't give the best protection"

Worth the couple of pounds it was to buy

When I had a Nexus 4 one of the things that I liked best about it was the fact that it was made of glass because it just made it feel much more premium but unfortunately that also made it much more fragile and unlike plastic it wasn’t going to survive a drop onto the ground and at least with a plastic backed phone there is a 50/50 chance of it landing on the back and surviving but with the Nexus 4 it didn’t matter if it landed front or back as the glass was going to crack. Because of all the glass a case was a must.

I bought quite a few different cases for my Nexus 4 when I had it as you can pick them up for next to nothing on Amazon and other online sites and it is ice to be able to change them whenever you want and make your phone more customisable.

The Flexishield x-case only cost me a couple of pounds online and it is made of a gel like material which sort of resembles rubber and is custom molded to fit Nexus 4 phones. You can buy generic covers to fit most sizes of phones but I prefer ones which are designed especially for the phone you are buying it for as even though a phone might be the same size as another one they aren’t all shaped the same and this one is made to fit the curves of the Nexus 4 and it fits really well and attaches securely to the back of the phone to protect it.

The cover is a milky semi see through colour with an x on the back of it and whilst it isn’t the best looking phone cover it is perfectly ok for what it is. It doesn’t add on too much bulk so you can still fit it in your jeans pocket ok without it adding too much bulk to the phone and being uncomfortable. It does nothing to protect the front of the phone though so I would definately still add a screen cover too. The protection is does offer the back of the phone is also quite minimal because it is so thin and isn’t rigid in any way. It will protect the back of the phone from scratches and small bumps but if you drop it from a great height onto a solid surface then the chances are it is still probably going to crack.

For a couple of pounds this is a decent enough cover for your Nexus 4 but there are much better covers available which will offer better protection for your phone.