jipp05

jipp05
  • Comments

Member since: 23.03.2010

24.04.2015 12:03

Advantages

• "Not too bulky "
      • "Strong and rigid "

Disadvantages

• "Slighlty more expensive than some "

Tough but slim

There are tons and tons of cases and covers for phones but not all of them are made equally. You can quite easily pick up a TPU case for your phone for a couple of pounds that will give adequate protection against minor scuffs but if you want something that is going to offer better protection then you need to go for a material that is more rigid and hard wearing.

The Spigen Armour case is great for giving serious protection to your LG G2 and unlike a lot of these so called tough cases it is quite attractive too. Just because you want something tough doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style too.

The case is a little bit more expensive than the cheap flimsy covers you get and it ranges from about £10 to £15 pounds to buy but it is worth it if you are looking for something that is really going to protect your phone and not just help stop getting it scratched.

The case comes in a nice range of colours which is complemented by the black at the top and bottom. I bought it in white but it is also available in much brighter colours too if you want something that is going to stand out.

It is made from a polycarbonate plastic which is strong and rigid and will stop any damage happening to your phone when it is on. It fits really snug and securely and doesn’t slip off like some covers do. It doesn’t cover the screen so you will still need a screen protector if you are worried about it getting scratched but it does have a lip to stop the screen from touching surfaces when the cover is on.

This is one of the better tough covers as usually they are really bulky to the point that you can barely fit your phone in your pocket when they are on but this one is one of the slimmer tough covers and you can actually still get your LG G2 in your pocket when it is on the phone.

23.04.2015 20:07

Advantages

• "Protects phone from bumps and scratches"
      • "Good bright colours and pattern"

Disadvantages

• "Not the cover for serious protection "

Good protection in a funky cover

I had a Cruzerlite case previously with an old phone and now everytime I get a new phone I check to see if they do a Bugdroid case for it as I really like them and they can be bought for next to nothing online.

I actually ended up with two of them for my LG G2 because I couldn’t decide what colour to get as the colour choice is absolutely huge and they come in all sorts of colours so no matter what colour you want there will be a case in it.

This time I ended up with a black and a red one. I got black just for a change because I normally go for something brighter but I just thought the black might show off the pattern of the case better. The pattern on the case is designed to look like a circuit board with an Android droid on it. It is pretty funky looking and a nice change from plain covers. The colours are very vivid and even the black is a really dark black so it stands out a lot and they both look really good on the phone.

The case is made from TPU which just looks and feels like rubber. It isn’t rigid so it isn’t designed to protect your phone from big drops but should protect it from bumps and small falls. The nice thing about it is that it covers the edges of the phone making a lip which also protects the screen when you place it screen side down on a table to stop it from getting scratched.

I have noticed that with the previous Cruzerlite cases that I have had for other phones the colours start off bright and vivid but they do tend to fade a lot after a couple of months but that wasn’t an issue this time and they retained their colour the whole time that I had them before I got a new phone.

I only paid £2 each for the covers online though they do sell for more than that on some sites but for £2 I think that they are great and I can’t really fault them. They don’t add a huge amount of bulk to the phone and although they aren’t for really severe drops they give good protection from small bumps and stop the phone getting scratched.

23.04.2015 19:56

Advantages

• "Decent protection"
        • "Bright colours "

Disadvantages

• "Faded and won't protect from big falls "

Bright funky case

This was the first case that I bought for my Nexus 4 as when I was browsing online looking at cases this was the one that jumped out at me straight away. It was available in a huge array of different colours all of which were very bright and striking. I ended up going for a sort of lime green colour but no matter what your favourite colour it was bound to be available in the selection.

The reason that this jumped out at me so much was mainly the bright colour and also the circuitry pattern on the back of the cover which was designed to look like a circuit board with an Android bug on the bottom. I just thought that it looked pretty cool and would help make my phone stand out more.

The case is made from TPU which if you don’t know just resembles a sort of flexible rubber which you attach to the back of your phone. You just have to clip the cover over the phone and because the TPU is so flexible it stretches over absolutely fine. Once it was on it fit well and although not tight it didn’t come off unless I chose to take it off and switch covers.

As a protector this didn’t really offer the maximum protection for the phone as it wasn’t rigid but it did protect the phone from minor bumps and stopped the back getting scratched. There was a slight lip over the side of the phone when the cover was on so I could place the phone screen side down and it wouldn’t touch the surface so it also stopped the front getting scratched.

Even though the case is very bright I wasn’t expecting it to be semi transparent so you could actually see the phone underneath. Now I would normally like this as if you are spending loads of money on a phone then you should want to be able to see it but for some reason I don’t think it worked all that well with this cover, perhaps because the phone was black and the cover was green.

Overall I really liked this cover and thought it looked good though I did notice that it faded quite a lot after a couple of months and I could noticeably see the difference in colour between the sides and the back which wasn’t there when it was brand new. At the end of the day though the cover was only a few pounds so it wasn’t bad value for money as far as cases go.

• Philips AE 2330 / Portable Radio / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
        22.04.2015 13:21

Advantages

• "Splashproof "
        • "Good sound "

Disadvantages

• "Slightly tinny"

Better than expected shower radio

There is nothing better than listening to music and singing along in the shower. It not only wakes you up but gets you in the mood for the rest of the day. Unfortunately it usually means cranking up the music in the bedroom as loud as it can go and listening to it in the bathroom.

If you live alone then this isn’t a major problem but if there are other people in the house or you have neighbours then they probably don’t want to have to listen to your music blasting through the house. Luckily there are ways and means around this these days. Whereas in the past you couldn’t really take anything electrical into the bathroom with you as it would end up being destroyed (or electricating you) there are loads of electrical products which are now waterproof like this radio.

I bought this not expecting too much but it was on offer for only £20 when it normally sells for £34.99 so I thought that I would buy myself it and hope it wasn’t rubbish. The reviews were mainly positive so I was confident that even though I didn’t think it was going to be as good as my DAB radio it would do for listening to in the bath or shower.

The radio is made of plastic and is fairly basic looking in its design but it does have a little handle so that you can hang the radio from your shower nozzle if you want. It has a built in clock which seems a bit of a waste of time to me but I suppose if you are someone who doddles in the shower and need to keep an eye on the time then it might be useful. The main reason that I don’t get why they bothered putting a clock in it is that the clock disappears to be replaced with radio station frequency instead and surely if someone is buying this they are wanting it for a radio which makes the clock a bit obsolete in my mind.

I was expecting the sound quality on this to be pretty poor but it is actually not bad at all. It is a little bit tinny but is certainly listenable and clear enough to enjoy and I have had earphones which are tinnier than this. Overall it is pretty good and more than adequate for listening to in the shower or the bath. The volume can be controlled and you can set it to a decent level of volume for hearing over the noise of the shower and it can go loud enough that you can really sing along if that is what you want to do.

22.04.2015 12:18

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Uncomfortable to wear "
        • "Slight hiss that was noticeable"
        • "Tinny sounding "

Uncomfortable and tinny sounding

I honestly have a problem when it comes to earphones. I am forever misplacing them or just leaving them lying about and losing them and I am so used to having music playing when I am out and about that it is strange for me to actually not have any so I am always having to buy new pairs.

I really must learn that cheaper isn’t better when it comes to headphones because I have yet to find a really good pair that are dirt cheap. I bought these ones and although they only cost me about £3 it was a waste of money as they are really useless.

They don’t advertise themselves as being anything but basic earphones and that is ok as it is all that I wanted but I did at least hope that although they were basic I would be able to enjoy listening to music whilst walking about with them but the sound quality is so terrible with them that it was almost impossible as they are just so tinny sounding. The music wasn’t very clear and there was a constant slight hissing in the background which really annoyed me. For some reason the right side was also noticeably quieter than the left side which really frustrated me.

They were also really uncomfortable to wear and either I have weird ears or they haven’t been designed very well as I found it almost impossible to keep them in my ears and they kept falling out.

I would never knowingly buy these again as though they were really cheap they weren’t worth the money and the sound quality was bad with them. They would do in an emergency if there was absolutely no other earphones around but I would be heading to a shop as soon as possible so replace them just as soon as I got a chance.

22.04.2015 11:43

Advantages

• "Ones of the best protectors for your phone"

Disadvantages

• "Bulky "

Tough protection for your Nexus 4

You can buy cheap silicone type cases for all phones which don’t add too much bulk to a phone and can be bought in a range of bright colours but they don’t offer the best protection. If you are wanting something that is really going to be tough and protect a phone from drops then you need something more rigid like this one.

The Nexus 4 is a nice looking phone but because it is made from glass front and back it is liable to smash if it gets dropped. When I had my Nexus 4 I was always extremely aware of this fact so owned a few cases for it. As well as protecting the phone though it is also just nice to be able to change a case and have something a bit different.

The Armourdillo case does cost more than a bog standard silicone case but if you are serious about protecting your phone then it is worth the extra money to buy it as it is one of the best cases you can buy to give tough protection. It is more rigid than a lot of cases and also a lot thicker so if you do drop your phone then this should do a good job of making sure than no harm comes to it. There is also a slight overhang on the front of it which protects the screen of your Nexus 4 too.

Of course the trade off for this level of protection is that it does make the phone much bulkier and adds quite a bit of bulk to it. I personally wouldn’t use this if I was planning on keeping my phone in my jeans pocket but if you are going to be keeping it in a bag or a jacket pocket then it isn’t much of an issue.

One thing about this that I love but isn’t as practical here as it is with a phone with a larger screen is that there is a little flip out stand on the back so that you can prop it up to watch movies etc without having to hold the phone. I personally thought the Nexus 4 was a little bit too small for this but if you find it comfortable it is a great feature. This is one of the best cases for protecting your NExus 4 from getting broken but it does cost more than some cases and you can expect to pay around about £14.99 for it.

22.04.2015 11:26

Advantages

• "Protects the back of the phone"
        • "Cheap to buy"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't give the best protection"

Worth the couple of pounds it was to buy

When I had a Nexus 4 one of the things that I liked best about it was the fact that it was made of glass because it just made it feel much more premium but unfortunately that also made it much more fragile and unlike plastic it wasn’t going to survive a drop onto the ground and at least with a plastic backed phone there is a 50/50 chance of it landing on the back and surviving but with the Nexus 4 it didn’t matter if it landed front or back as the glass was going to crack. Because of all the glass a case was a must.

I bought quite a few different cases for my Nexus 4 when I had it as you can pick them up for next to nothing on Amazon and other online sites and it is ice to be able to change them whenever you want and make your phone more customisable.

The Flexishield x-case only cost me a couple of pounds online and it is made of a gel like material which sort of resembles rubber and is custom molded to fit Nexus 4 phones. You can buy generic covers to fit most sizes of phones but I prefer ones which are designed especially for the phone you are buying it for as even though a phone might be the same size as another one they aren’t all shaped the same and this one is made to fit the curves of the Nexus 4 and it fits really well and attaches securely to the back of the phone to protect it.

The cover is a milky semi see through colour with an x on the back of it and whilst it isn’t the best looking phone cover it is perfectly ok for what it is. It doesn’t add on too much bulk so you can still fit it in your jeans pocket ok without it adding too much bulk to the phone and being uncomfortable. It does nothing to protect the front of the phone though so I would definately still add a screen cover too. The protection is does offer the back of the phone is also quite minimal because it is so thin and isn’t rigid in any way. It will protect the back of the phone from scratches and small bumps but if you drop it from a great height onto a solid surface then the chances are it is still probably going to crack.

For a couple of pounds this is a decent enough cover for your Nexus 4 but there are much better covers available which will offer better protection for your phone.

• Bonsai Trees / Plant / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
        13.01.2015 14:53

Advantages

• "Intricate "
        • "Beautiful "

Disadvantages

• "Hard to grow "

Beautiful and intricate trees

Bonsai is the Japanese art of growing miniature trees in trays and dates back thousands years. The trees can be different specimens and it is actually quite a complicated process. There are so many different ways to grow a Bonsai tree and there are some really intricate and complicated trees available which cost a fortune and really show off the art form.

I have a couple of Bonsai trees both of which I bought from a stall at a continental market. I don’t know how traditional they might be but I like them and appreciate the ornamental quality of them. Although I have had them both a while now they haven’t got much bigger which is because they are kept artificially small.

I personally would never have the patience to grow a Bonsai from seed so I bought mine already cultivated but it still needs some taking care of. You have to prune it and also you may need to repot the Bonsai to keep the roots healthy. They don’t take a huge amount of caring for on a day to day basis but if you want to keep it for years then you will have to care for it.

The price of Bonsai trees varies wildly because of how intricate and how long they can take to grow. You can get cheap trees for £10 but you can also pay thousands of pounds for one that is older and more intricate. I would love a really old Bonsai but I couldn’t afford the money for it so am just hoping that with taking care of the two I have they will survive for the rest of my life.

• Garlic / Plant / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
          05.01.2015 16:01

Advantages

• "Tastes delicious "
          • "Easy to grow "

Disadvantages

• "Takes a long time to grow "

Easy to grow and delicious tasting

I have been growing my own vegetables in my garden since I bought my house and had a garden for the first time. I am not a natural gardener but I do enjoy growing vegetables as it is nice to have something useful at the end of the day.

I do have to admit that to begin with I was a little bit conservative with what I grew and didn’t want to grow anything too exotic. I was more concerned with getting some actual veg so I only wanted to try growing things which were fairly easy to grow.

I grew onions and leeks in the garden and they worked well and I also grew some garlic in a pot as I read it was easier to do it in a pot than in the garden and besides I didn’t want to take up room in the veg patch with garlic when it is so small and even though I use garlic in cooking all the time a head can last me a couple of weeks so I didn’t need that many.

I just used a medium sized pot and combined soil with compost and then planted the bulbs and left them to their own devices. I kept them in an area where I knew the sun would get them often and made sure to water them well and often. I got a good few garlic heads from my pot and they tasted delicious and much nicer than the garlic that I get in the supermarket. It just had a nicer taste and I am not sure if that is because I grew it myself so I thought it tasted nicer or if the flavour was better but I think it was.

The only problem that I had with growing garlic was that it isn’t the fastest growing and I am a bit impatient and like to have fast growing vegetables but it was definitely worth the time and effort which to be honest was minimal.

• Lettuce / Plant / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
          05.01.2015 15:45

Advantages

• "Fast growing "
          • "Easy to sow and grow "

Disadvantages

• Slugs!!

Quick and easy to grow

I am not the greatest gardener in the world and don’t really enjoy the whole process of it so I keep plants to a minimum. I do have a few just for purely aesthetical purposes but I don’t have lots. When I bought my house and finally had a garden I wanted it to be low maintenance but one thing that I wanted was a vegetable patch as I have been obsessed with growing my own vegetables for as long as I can remember.

One of the first things that I ever grew in the garden was lettuce as I was told that this was one of the easiest things that you can grow yourself and it turned out that it was though they aren’t without some problems when it comes to growing them.

I sowed one packet of lettuce seeds containing 100 seeds and didn’t know what to expect but I was shocked when they germinated and it looked like almost the whole 100 seeds had sprouted. I never actually counted them but there must have been about 80. The whole process of growing them was so simple and I just used the soil in my garden that was already there along with some compost.

They were really fast growing as well and I was soon inundated with lettuce. I ended up sowing some more seeds to keep the crop going and these germinated just as well as the first ones did. They seeds cost next to nothing to buy and were excellent value when I seen how many lettuces that I actually got from them.

Lettuce can be grown in vegetable patches or even just pots if you haven’t got the room. I am going to grow some more this year but I am going to grow them in some large pots instead of the ground as they can be grown really close together and I would like the extra room in the vegetable patch to try growing something different this year.

Although they were incredibly easy to grow the only problem that I had with them was slugs. I soent so much time trying to protect these from slugs as the slugs were obsessed with them and I didn’t even know my garden had that many slugs. I lost loads of the lettuce leaves to slug bites and ended up spending ages removing them from the lettuces. This is a common problem though and nothing to do with the actual lettuces but it is something to be aware of when growing them.

• Mint / Plant / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
            05.01.2015 14:21

Advantages

• "Tastes great and is really easy to grow "

Easy to grow herb

I use herbs a lot in cooking so I decided to try growing my own and have been growing them very successfully for the past year. You can grow herbs outside but I have found it easier to just grow mine in pots and I now have a little miniature herb garden which I grow in my kitchen.

One of the herbs that I was determined to grow myself is fresh mint as it is something that I buy a lot of so it would save me money and besides mint is always best when it is freshly cut.

Because I use mint so often I actually have a few different pots of it growing because I can’t get enough of it. I would probably be better growing it in the garden but I just don’t have the room for it.

You can either grow mint from seeds or buy a small plant from the garden centre. I actually have both and growing it from seed was painless and pretty easy. I was surprised with just how easy it was to grow the mint from seed in a pot the first time.

I just got a large well drained pot and filled it with soil and then sowed the seeds. I then used a plastic bag to cover the seeds until they germinated and then it got transferred to my windowsill in the sun to continue to grow. It was so easy and painless and the mint grew fantastically well with no special treatment needed. I was a bit worried when I first grew it that it would just die but it absolutely thrived in the pot on the windowsill and grew really large. The best thing about it is that it continues to regrow even after you have picked the leaves.

Mint is a really good and easy herb to start with if you are interested in growing your own as it takes very little maintenance and upkeep other than the occasional watering and it is a herb that has so many used in cooking. It can be used in teas, alcoholic drinks, salads, cooking and even just for chewing to freshen your breath.

23.12.2014 09:44

Advantages

• "You get a lot of them in a packet "

Disadvantages

• "Bascially just sweets"
              • "No numbing action "
              • "The menthol isn't strong enough"

Ok but not very strong menthol

I picked a pack of these up in Asda because I like to have a pack of lozenges lying around as I like to be prepared if I get a cold or just even a slightly sore throat.

In winter with the central heating on all the time and then going into the cold wind I can get a sore throat quite often so I tend to go through quite a lot of lozenges as I find that they soothe my throat and the sucking action lubricates my throat reliving the dry feeling that I get.

These lozenges are fine but they aren’t as good as some other brands. They offer quite good value for money though as they only cost £1.80 for a pack of 36 lozenges. I am not used to getting so many lozenges in a pack as you only usually get about 12 maximum and the way that I go through them it is good to get more.

The lozenges are blackcurrant flavoured with menthol and are just like boiled sweets that you suck to release the menthol and soothe your throat. They also have added vitamin C and eucalyptus but to be honest the menthol in these isn’t as strong as you get with some other brands. They taste nice enough and they give a little bit of soothing action to my throat but that’s mainly just because I am producing more saliva when sucking on them which helps to lubricate my throat.

These are basically just sweets with some menthol in them which means that you don’t get the soothing numbing feeling that you get with something like strepsils but it also means that you can have as many of these as you like as they contain nothing which can harm your health if you take too many.

These lozenges are ok for the money but they certainly aren’t as good as loads of other lozenges that you can get and I personally probably wouldn’t buy them again because the menthol in them was minimal and if I do have a cold or a sore throat then I want something a bit stronger which is going to make me feel better as quick as possible.

21.12.2014 21:25

Advantages

• "Soothing "

Disadvantages

• "Didn't help much with blocked nose "

Soothing hot drink

I’ve managed to only have one cold this winter but that was enough for me as there really is nothing worse than having a bad cold. There isn’t anything that you can do to make it go away but luckily there are plenty of things that you can buy to at least ease the symptoms of it.

I bought some Beechams Ultra from the supermarket and although they normally cost £4.49 for a packet with 10 sachets in it they had them on special offer for only £3.

The box contains 10 sachets of powder which you pour into a mug and then just fill up with hot water and stir to make sure that you have dissolved the powder. The powder contains paracetamol, phenylephrine and guaifenesin. The paracetamol helps with aches and pains while the phenylephrine is a decongestant and the guaifenesin is an expectorant to help lift phlegm from your chest.

The flavour of them is honey and menthol and I thought that they were very soothing to drink. The hot lemon flavour immediately made me feel better and I could actually smell the menthol in them which combined with the steam seemed to unblock my airwaves a little bit.

These didn’t make me miraculously better as soon as drinking them but they definitely did help with my symptoms. They helped ease the ache that you get when you have a bad cold and the really helped ease the pain in my chest. The fact that it was a hot lemon drink was also just soothing in itself and it also helped take away some of the dryness in my throat.

The only thing that they didn’t seem to help with was my nose. The hot steam coming from it along with the menthol helped clear it a little but the Phenylephrine didn’t work nearly as well as a nasal spray at unblocking my nose for any amount of time.

Over all though these were a good option for easing my cold symptoms and they really did feel as though they were soothing my symptoms and made me feel better even if it was only for a short time.

Because these are medicines there are things to watch out for but everything is explained in the leaflet that comes with them but probably the most important thing is to ensure that you do not exceed the maximum dose which is four sachets in a 24 hour period.

10.12.2014 09:31

Advantages

• "Cleans deep down "

Disadvantages

• "Too drying for my skin"

Good but not for my skin

I had seen this black gel in the shops for ages but hadn’t bought it until there was a special 3for2 offer on so I decided to try it out.

I think I picked up the wrong one as this one is designed for people with bad spots whereas they do a less harsh one for people with more normal skin who just get the odd few spots.

It contains charcoal in it which it claims is a powerful purifying agent to really deep clean your skin and clear out all the pores to help with spots.

It foams up nicely with water and you only need a small amount to wash your face so it will last for ages. After using it my skin felt so clean and fresh. It really felt as though it had cleaned deep down and got all the grime and muck from the pores.

I get a few spots and some oiliness but nothing really major and I think this was just too harsh for my skin as it really dried it out. I think it would be good for people with really oily skin as it will soak up the oil and dry out the spots but if you have normal skin then you might find it a bit too strong.

I liked the way this really left my skin feeling clean but after using it a few times I did notice it was really starting to dry my skin out around my nose and on my cheeks especially so I had to stop using it. I have still occasionally used it but not every day and I think it works well when my skin is feeling really grimy and in need of a deep clean.

I wish I had got the less powerful one as I actually do like this and think it works but this one is not for me though I would recommend it to people who have greasy and spotty skin as I think it would really help to combat them.

09.12.2014 09:25

Advantages

• "Soaks up oil and excess moisturiser "

Disadvantages

• "Not a great moisturiser on its own"

Good but you will probably need a separate moisturiser

I don’t think men should be embarrassed at taking care of their skin especially these days when there is such a large choice of skin care ranges designed for men that you don’t have to buy something aimed at women anymore.

Even though there is nothing to be embarrassed about wearing a moisturiser and taking care of your skin you don’t want to look as though you are wearing anything and a ‘dewy’ look is not something that most men want their skin to have.

Luckily there is a whole host of products out there that help with unwanted shine and greasiness. L’oreal do a good anti shine gel as part of their men’s range which helps eliminate excess shine and grease from your skin.

You can either use the gel as a straight forward moisturiser though it isn’t that great as a moisturiser on its own but if your skin is quite greasy and only needs a little bit of moisture then this will work.

I think it is much better used as something that you put on top of a moisturiser to immediately matify your skin and leave it looking shine free. It soaks up excess oil and also that greasy layer that you can get with some moisturisers.

It feels nice to apply and has a nice fresh smell to it. You can see the silica in the gel immediately take away any grease and it lasts for a whole day to keep excess oil reduced to the bare minimum so that your skin stays shine free all day.

It is quite expensive though as it costs £10 but it does last quite a while as you only need to use a little bit each time on the areas where you produce the most oil such as your nose and forehead.