jo1976

jo1976
  • Comments

Member since: 08.08.2008

20.11.2014 15:51

Advantages

• "spreads easily and absorbed quickly"
      • "Gorgeous fragrance"

Disadvantages

• "does not feel much better than cheaper alternatives"
      • expensive

SOS - No miracle cure for dry skin

I suffer from very dry sensitive skin, which can be particularly problematic around my face at certain times of the year. I have tried various products on prescription as well as major brands, varying from cheap and cheerful options to more expensive brands, on the hunt for the elusive miracle product.

This SOS rescue cream is manufactured by the Barefoot Botanicals brand, based in Brighton. The cream is more expensive than I would usually consider but decided that it had to be worth investing slightly more in this cream, as online reviews and forums had raved about its moisturising abilities.

The cream is very simply packaged, although the simple white and green tube does come inside a cardboard tube which is probably not needed as the key information is printed on the tube itself. This is a versatile cream which can be used on both face and body. I tend to use this primarily on my face but also occasionally on my hands.

One of the first things that I noticed when using this cream was the gorgeous scent of Neroli. I find Neroli is rarely used as a fragrance - it appears to be quite an expensive essential oil- but the slightly orangey aroma is very distinctive and I find it to be quite uplifting. The scent does linger slightly on my skin but is certainly not overpowering.

The other advantage is that the cream is easy to squeeze out evenly, applies smoothly and is absorbed very quickly so I don't experience that unpleasant tacky feeling on my skin after application.

My only disappointment has been due to my high expectations. As a moisturising cream, this works reasonably well and I can feel the difference on my skin after application. It is certainly far from being a miracle cream for very dry skin, however, and I do find that I need to reapply regularly throughout the day to achieve ongoing effects. I find that the moisturising effects are quite superficial and this does not penetrate particularly far beneath the surface layers of skin so doesn't really tackle the underlying dehydration that well.

I paid £6.50 for a 100ml tube of cream and, given the results, am not likely to repurchase at that price so am only able to give this a mediocre three star rating.

• Dove Soap Dove Cream Bar / Soaps / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
      13.11.2014 16:15

Advantages

• "lovely aroma"
      • "leaves skin feeling soft"
      • "Creamy lather"

Disadvantages

• none

Dove-ly Soap!

I'm not a particularly 'girly girl' and my beauty and skincare regime tends to be more practical rather than pampering and luxurious.

When it comes to washing, particularly in areas such as my face or underarms, I much prefer to use a soap style product, rather than a liquid or gel. Somehow, I feel more cleansed using a bar and find that the clean feeling lasts for much longer. Some traditional style soaps can feel a little too drying against my skin which tends to be fairly sensitive and on the dry side anyway, For that reason, my cleaning product of preference tends to be Dove cream bars.

There are a few varieties of these cream bars available nowadays and I have tried most of them but I do find myself coming back to this original cream variety, simply packaged in a small cardboard box with distinctive blue and white colouring. I get through quite a lot as the rest of the family will also use the same products so I tend to buy this in a multi-pack of four, which works out better value than purchasing the single bars. This brand is widely available from all supermarkets, chemists or stores such as Wilkinsons. I have even purchased multi-packs online from Amazon as a cheap way to bring an order up to the £10 mark!

The soap itself has an absolutely divine scent that I find lingers on my hands and face after use. It is not a traditionally soapy aroma but it is very distinctive and instantly recognisable as a Dove product. My other favourite feature is the amount of soft white fluffy bubbles that the bar lathers into, when used with warm water. I find that this spreads easily and leaves my skin feeling soft, moisturised and clean at the same time which I feel is excellent results from a single, inexpensive product. It never feels overpowering or drying against my skin and I'm happy to use the same product even on my young children's delicate skin, without any signs of irritation.

I do try other brands and other products but always find myself coming back to the original Dove cream bars which says it all really.

11.11.2014 23:10

Advantages

• "Classy looking packaging"

Disadvantages

• "Leaves hair feeling greasy"
      • "Does not combat frizz"

Over-Priced and Under-Performing

I have long, thick coarse hair that is prone to frizziness and is the bane of my life! I am always looking out for the miracle product that will combat all of my problems and give me silky, shiny looking locks, which is why I parted with £6.99 to purchase a bottle of this Organix Morroccan Argan Oil shampoo.

This particular shampoo is fairly tough to track down and wasn't readily available in my usual haunts of Morrisons or Sainsburys but I did eventually find it in Waitrose. The packaging, I must say, does make this stand out as a premium product with an unusual flattened shape to the bottle and a pleasant eye-catching colour. It's not all about the looks - I found the flip top lid easy to open and close and the shaped bottle was comfortable to hold when pouring.

The shampoo itself is surprisingly thick and gloopy and takes quite a bit of pressure to squeeze out of the bottle. The appearance is pleasant enough, with a gleamy iridescence and a lovely, if generic, aroma. I find the shampoo does spread quite easily once applied and creates a reasonable amount of fluffy white lather. The scent spreads through my hair and does tend to linger but is not over powering.

As this is a product that contains the much-lauded argan oil, I do endeavour to rinse it well after use but I do feel that there is evidence of a build-up of this product on my hair after a few consecutive uses. I don't get that sense of cleanliness that I achieve with some other brands.

I've also been disappointed with the moisturising and restorative effects of the shampoo. This certainly doesn't result in any reduction of my natural tendency towards frizziness. If anything, this product seems to exaggerate my frizz, leaving my hair feeling increasingly fly away and unkempt. I originally tried this shampoo alone without any conditioner but would certainly not repeat that experiment. This certainly needs the added benefit of a conditioner.

In all, I was disappointed with the performance of this shampoo, particularly in light of the higher sale price. The only real attraction of this shampoo is the attractive packaging but, sadly, this is not a product that I will be purchasing again.

• Gerbils / Pet / Animal / 12 Readings / 14 Ratings
        23.09.2014 16:14

Advantages

• "Good first pet"

Disadvantages

• "Short life span"
        • "Can bite"

Gerbils - Good First Pet

Having three children, I was reluctant to agree to the demands for pets in the house too! Eventually, I succumbed to the boys' request for two gerbils a few years ago and am happy to confirm that the gerbils made good first pets, with relatively straightforward care needs and inexpensive maintenance costs (which is a lot more than I could say about my kids!)

My oldest son was so pleased to have gerbils as pets that he wrote the following as a report for his school homework:

"Gerbils come in different colours. Mine is black all over and has a little white patch on his paw. His name is Diamond. My brother’s gerbil was brown with a white belly and white patches on his back. He died at the age of about two month’s old. We don’t really know why he died as we tried to look after him well. We buried my brother’s gerbil, Brownie, in the garden.

We keep our gerbils in a special cage called a Gerbilarium. Gerbils have to have a big cage so they can run about a lot. My gerbil burrows a lot. He has a tunnel in his cage and he buries it and hides inside. He likes to shred up newspaper and makes this into his bed. My gerbil doesn’t always come into my hand but if you open the top hatch, he climbs out on to the top and I can pick him up. They sometimes nibble when you pick them up but it doesn’t hurt. They like chewing on wood and fruity things. They eat apple cores and they like treats. When they are in their ball, they can run about and have lots of exercise. We do that when we clean them out."

As a parent, I find gerbils easy to care for. I buy a specially formulated mix from Pets At Home which meets all of the dietary requirements and just top that up with fresh fruit and seeds. A great first pet, although sadly they can have a limited life span which might be upsetting for some children.

• Vegetarian / Recipe / 14 Readings / 10 Ratings
          22.09.2014 22:37

Advantages

• "Very few ingredients"
          • Easy

Disadvantages

• "Oven roasting time"

Simple Standby Pasta Sauce

We generally eat in two 'sittings' in our household, so I much prefer meals that are simple to prepare and can be left to their own devices whilst I'm doing other things.

This sauce is my favourite store cupboard standby, including a tiny handful of ingredients which are basically left to roast in the oven and then served with freshly cooked pasta. It really couldn't be simpler.

If cooking for two people, I simply quarter a medium sized peeled red onion and then place this in a small pyrex dish with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 15 mins at 200 degrees then flatten out the onion pieces. Add a whole tin of tomatoes and break down roughly. Stir in one and a half Kallo vegetable stock cubes - really crucial as these add a fantastic flavour without being too salty- and mix in thoroughly. I also normally add a couple of crushed garlic cloves.

This mixture then goes back into the oven for a further 20 minutes. The ingredients are really basic, cheap and readily available but the results, thanks to the oven roasting, are simply divine. The roasting makes the tinned tomatoes slightly more concentrated and richer tasting and the onions add a lovely sweetness to the sauce. No additional liquid is needed and I don't feel the need to add any extra seasoning either because the stock cubes add plenty of flavour.

This sauce coats any style of pasta perfectly but I usually go for some nice farfalle so that the tomato and onion pieces fit into the twirls. Add a dash of parmesan if desired and serve with garlic bread and/or salad. Enjoy!

• Angry Birds Lunch Bag / Kitchenware / 27 Readings / 24 Ratings
          09.06.2014 13:58

Advantages

• "appealing to children"

Disadvantages

• "crumbs can get caught inside interior seams"

Angry Birds for Lunch!

Based on the ever popular app, this Angry Birds lunch box was chosen by my six year old son at the end of last Summer and has served almost a whole academic year with daily use.

This is a perfectly proportioned bag for a primary school aged child, with ample room for the obligatory sandwiches, even when packed into their own small box. There is sufficient space to add a drinks bottle, crisps and whatever other snacks are the flavour of the day. One of the advantages of this flexible style of lunch bag is that is much easier to squash and squeeze items about than with the more rigid style of lunch box. The drawback might be that this style is a little less protective of the contents but, in all honesty, my son''s lunch seems to survive intact despite his less than careful treatment at times.

The lunch bag is bright and colourful with a plastic coated interior lining that is helpfully easy to wipe clean after each use. Unfortunately, the inner does have a stitched seam where crumbs and other debris tends to congregate which can be quite tricky to clean thoroughly. The cleaning instructions recommend only wiping this down with a wipe cloth. Being something of a domestic rebel, I chose to ignore these instructions partway through the year and followed a tip that I had d read online. I popped this in the washing machine with a mixed load on a 40 degree load and found that this not entirely thoroughly cleaned the interior but also bought the fabric exterior back up to its initial brightness without damaging or fading the materials used at all.

This is still a popular brand with a wide age of children and is a product that I am happy to recommend. At full price, this costs around 8 pounds but is widely available for much less than that and I spotted this recently half price at Morrisons which seems a good buy to me.

05.06.2014 23:31

Advantages

• "Can be customised and parts replaced easily"

Disadvantages

• "Ignition button does not always work efficiently"

Windsor Contemporary Fire for Warm Homes

This Flavel Windsor fireplace has been a feature of our living room for a number of years, under two different guises. This contemporary styled fireplace is available in a range of different surrounds and ?effects'', with either chrome, brass or black surrounds and the choice of coal effects, pebbles or fake wood to suit individual tastes and rooms.

Obviously, the primary purpose of a fireplace is to keep the warm room and this performs its function effectively. Clearly, as this is a gas fire it does need to be fitted by a corgi registered fitter. For us, this was a straightforward process with no alterations to connections or the flue required.

Using the fire is very simple as the controls, which are discreetly positioned behind the lower of the three panels, are kept to a minimum. There is a single ignition button which needs to be depressed for around thirty seconds and the heat can be adjusted by a single dial, clearly marked from High to Off. The dial is very responsive and I find that it reaches the required temperature very quickly and provides consistent results. The only very slight issue is that sometimes the ignition button does not work on the first attempt for no apparent reason. If that happens, it is impossible to get it to work for several minutes so the gas needs to be switched off and a further attempt made slightly later.

When we first had this fireplace installed, we purchased it with a brass surround and fake coal effect which was in keeping with the colours and styles of the room at the time. Fortunately, it is still relatively easy to purchase replacement parts and fittings for this particular fireplace as it seems to still be widely available in fireplace warehouse stockists as well as online. This meant that we were able to replace the brass surround which was looking quite dated and had also started to corrode at one edge. Replacing the surround was incredibly straightforward as it is held in place by magnets and can be pulled off easily and the new one simply clicks into place. This meant that we were able to give the fireplace a new lease of life and also bring it more into line with current fashions and other features in the room, without going to the expense of replacing the entire fireplace.

A quick search online brings up several stockists listing this for around 180 pounds which seems reasonable given the quality of the product and the ability to update or replace elements easily. I am happy to recommend this fireplace to others.

• Frustration with dooyoo / Discussion / 30 Readings / 27 Ratings
          03.06.2014 11:44

Advantages

• "Paragraphs are back"

Disadvantages

• " patronising updates"
          • " lack of accessible site map"
          • "Comments disappearing randomly"

A DIY level one site map

Just a few short hours after I submit a review lamenting the appearance of new reviews on Dooyoo since the, cough, site upgrade, I notice that Dooyoo have managed to reformat some older reviews and paragraphs at last have been reinstated. Finally, a small step in the right direction although I fear that this will be nowhere near enough to stem the flow from the mass exodus of Dooyoo members leaving the site behind. Few people have the patience to sit through several months of a site that has at best been inconsistent and faulty, at worst totally inaccessible.

Sadly the site has already seen the loss of huge numbers of established writers, people who no longer want their name to be associated with a site so badly mismanaged. The communication between Dooyoo staff and its members has truly been appalling. The failure to inform the members of any upcoming changes was a sign of the contempt with which the site actually views its members. This has been made far worse by the head in the sand approach to the numerous issues and failings within the new site and the truly condescending attitude towards valid member complaints and concerns.

Hopefully steps are at long last being taken to resolve some of the issues that make the difference between the site actually fulfilling its basic purpose and enabling the few surviving posters to actually successfully submit reviews. Unfortunately, the new redesign appears to have sabotaged the community spirit between members with no facility to send or receive messages between members. With the erratic commenting issues, this is more important than ever and would be a feature that would be welcomed by the survivors.

I would also be grateful if the current site map arrangements could also be reviewed. We have gone from having a list of all the levels and categories on a single page down to having to click on about twenty different links to access information about the levels of miles payable. Was this move deliberate to disguise the demise of level one products or the ominous inclusion of No Miles topics that were listed for several weeks?

I have compiled a list here of current level one categories for easy reference

Level One (60 miles): Amplifier, Car Audio, Car Speaker, Headphones, Hifi system, Microphone, Receiver, Speaker, Portable Radio, Turntable, Blu Ray Player, Home Cinema system, LCD TV, Plasma TV, Projector, Set Top Box, Caudalie, La Mer, Darphin, Lierac, Desktop PC, Laptop, All in One Printer, Injet Printer, LCD Monitor, LED Printer, Laser Printer, PC Speaker, Laptop Case, Fireplaces, Cordless Screwdriver Drill, Planer, Power Drill, Power Saw, Pushchair, Tyres, Car Seat, Sat Nav, Digital Camera, Camcorder, Digital Photo Frame, Camera Lens, Microscope, Fax Machine, Telephone, Watch.

Needless to say the list for level three items is considerably longer and would exceed the new word count!

02.06.2014 22:11

Advantages

• "site is still limping along"

Disadvantages

• " miles not always credited"
            • " frustrating"
            • "404 errors"

Advice on how to avoid the 404 error and chash out

In the aftermath of Dooyoo''s disastrous update, most regular posters have made the choice to chash out and abandon the site forever. Sadly, due to the number of unresolved issues with the site itself it is not entirely simple to post the required number of reviews, accrue rates and chash out. Through trial and error, gritted teeth and several bouts of swearing at this excuse for a review site, I can share the tips that seem to work best for me.

Firstly, do not attempt to include a standard pound symbol, that will always result in a irritating 404 error and the vomit-inducing crying girl. I tend to write the word in full but other posters substitute GBP instead. I also limit punctuation as much as I can mainly because the software seems to make a right mess of basic symbols and substitutes them for random punctuation.

Given that the new solid block layout already looks appalling to the eye of the reader I am less bothered by the appearance of the review without basic punctuation and in all honesty take far less care over the content of the reviews. It is clear that the owners and employees of the staff no longer care about the quality of the reviews posted.

It is however now possible to manually add code to your own review which will then add a space between paragraphs. The code needs to be typed within triangular brackets either side and within the brackets type br and then leave a space and include a slash symbol and then close the brackets. It should look like (br /) but with triangular brackets rather than round ones. Have a try to see if that works for you! Each time you include this symbol it counts as an extra words towards the word content however.

Due to the inconsistency around posting I also tend to err towards the lower end of the new radical word limit. I am a fast touch typer but it is far less irritating to see 250 words vanish than waste more time posting 500. I also find that longer posts look even worse due to the new formatting.

My final piece of advice is that sometimes reviews have not been credited with miles when posted. When this happens, I have edited the review - a longwinded process in itself- and deleted some of the review to take it below the minimum word count. I have then edited again and added the sentences removed. For some reason, this then seems to credit the missing miles.

If all else fails throwing the laptop at the people responsible for those improvements would be my final recommendation. Awaits the tumbleweed as any comments no longer seem to be visible.

• Sennheiser HD 201 / Headphones / 21 Readings / 18 Ratings
              19.05.2014 17:00

Advantages

• "Easy to adjust to accommodate different head sizes"

Disadvantages

• "Ear pads are large"

The Sound of Sennheiser Quality

My oldest son is, at eleven years old, absorbed in technology whenever he has the opportunity. I originally purchased my two oldest children a set of headphones each for the purposes of listening to their own DVD players on long journeys. The headphones were soon adopted for many other purposes and these Sennheiser HD201 chunky headphones were purchased as a replacement for his original set which proved unfit for regular use by a rather heavy-handed child. These Sennheiser headphones certainly look the part and the black and silver colour scheme is both stylish and practical. These are not aimed purely at children or young people and even as an adult I would feel happy about using these.

The band section explands to accommodate a wide range of ages and head sizes. My eleven year old son has these set about two inches above the minimum level, so these could be tightened to fit a much younger and smaller child. There is plenty of room available as these adjust easily to fit my adult sized head without feeling too restrictive. Expanding the headphones is very straightforward and requires little physical effort to adjust them to an appropriate secure and comfortable fitting.The band section is particularly chunky; made from strong plastic and feels pretty strong and flexible.
              The padded ear sections appear very large and are slightly elongated which provides a comfortable ft. The soft pads remain securely in place without slipping or causing any discomfort for my son.

The cord length is more than adequate for most purposes and provides plenty of flexibility. The jack fitting is a standard 3.5mm size which fits most devices.

The sound and tone quality of these headphones is excellent, regardless of the device used and I appreciate how well they contain the sound without annoying third parties. We paid around twenty pounds for this set from PC World last August and thus far they have seemed excellent value for money with no sign of damage to the internal wiring or to the exterior.

• Brio Adventure Tunnel / Toy Train / 13 Readings / 13 Ratings
              18.05.2014 23:08

Advantages

• "Adds extra play value to existing train set"

Disadvantages

• "Full RRP is expensive"

Tunnel of Adventure

My three year old son has acquired quite an extensive wooden railway set, with a variety of tracks, trains and pieces from a mixture of brands. I have found that most of the cheaper sets are compatible with the more expensive prominent brands such as Brio and Big Jigs and tend to mix and match according to what we find on offer.

The one thing missing from my son's train set was a tunnel so when I spotted this Brio Adventure Tunnel on offer as part of a small set as part of an Amazon Black Friday promotion. Purchased alone, the tunnel has a full RRP of 24.99 although is frequently available for less.
              Even at full price, this is a lovely and pretty robust item. It fits perfectly into a variety of brands of wooden track and is surprisingly large, without seeming too imposing. Although this is made from plastic, the overall effect is that of a carved piece of mountain rock with a section of track running through to allow trains to pass through. The length of the tunnel section is long enough to add enough excitement for the child playing but short enough so that they are able to push manual trains through the length without struggling.

The tunnel is very well designed and has a number of additional features to add extra interest to an existing set. The main attraction and the feature that my son adores is the inclusion of four different sound effects. These are very cleverly activated by the magnets as the trains pass through the tunnel and include features such as an owl hooting, steam train effects, whistling and banging and clanging. The sounds can also be set off manually as there is a small button at the top of the tunnel. My son prefers to push the train through to set off the sounds and has a definite preference for the owl effects, although there is no way of selecting a particular effect. I was a little worried about whether the sounds would be set off by non-Brio trains as most of our trains are alternative brands but so long as the train has a magnet (as all ours do) the effects work consistently.

This is a lovely little addition to a wooden train set and comes highly recommended.

15.05.2014 20:08

Advantages

• " robust"
              • " long last batteries"
              • "fun water toy"

Disadvantages

• "Tends to sink"

Sail & Float is more like Sink & Float!

This chunky Fisher Price Little People boat seemed to be the ideal choice for bath time for my youngest son. He was eighteen months old at the time of purchase and the proportions and weight of the boat are well suited to toddlers of that age. Slightly younger children might struggle with the size of this boat.

The boat and its accessories come simply packaged in an open fronted box so it is possible to get a good idea of its true size and features before purchasing. It also comes supplied with the two AA batteries needed so the boat is good to go as soon as it is released from its packaging.

The boat comes complete with a single chunky Little People figure (who is, apparently ?Captain Michael') but there are a number of positions on the boat where figures can be positioned so this can be combined with figures from other Little People sets to maximise the play value. We have a mechanic figure from a Little People garage set who tends to stand on the top section of the boat and view the proceedings. Captain Michael is, more often than not, let loose on the waves within the plastic life ring that also comes supplied. (I'm slightly worried about who is actually controlling the boat in these circumstances...)

One of my boys' favourite features is the fishing line attachment that is securely connected to the boat but is both flexible and movable. The hooked end can be used to either rescue the life ring or scoop out the single plastic fish that also comes with this cute little set.

One of the most impressive features about this boat has been the sound effects and the length of time that the batteries have lasted between changes. I've always been a bit sceptical about using battery powered toys in the bath, feeling that they will inevitably start to leak and fail before too long. This toy has proven me wrong in that respect and my kids have enjoyed playing the rather annoying tunes on this boat for eighteen months now! The song choice is a little irritating with a rather high pitched American child's accent singing the (catchy but annoying) lyrics. The song alternates between other boat related sound effects with each press.

The major drawback with this boat is that it does have a tendency to list after being in the water for some time. This inevitably leads to the boat filling with water and, eventually, capsizing. Perhaps the inclusion of the life ring should have given some clues to this eventuality! This doesn't deter my sons from playing with the boat and, surprisingly, hasn't seemed to affect the internal mechanisms with no water getting through to the battery compartment at all, so this is certainly very well made in that respect.

We picked this up from Home Bargains for a fiver and feel it has been money well spent.

14.05.2014 22:08

Advantages

• "Nostalgic appeal"

Disadvantages

• " difficult to read text"
                • "Dull images"

Dull and Dreary Dragon Tale

I love children's books and the boys enjoy listening to audiobooks in the car so I was pleased to spot this copy of Puff The Magic Dragon, complete with accompanying CD, for just 1.75 on Amazon a few months ago. This was kept as part of a bundle to give to my three year old son at Christmas.

Out of all of his new stories, this was probably the one that he was least attracted to and the last one that he chose to read. The front cover is very dark and drab, representative of the interior pages, and the dragon isn't all that prominent or appealing as it is effectively camouflaged by the dull green colouring of the front page.

This is not actually a story at all, simply the reprinting of the lyrics to a popular song Puff the Magic Dragon. I do recognise the song and am familiar with the lyrics but I do not have any particularly strong memories of the song or any emotional attachment so this story doesn't really offer any nostalgic appeal to me as an adult and it does not seem to engage my boys as the words to a rather dull story.

Reading the story to my son is quite difficult as the song lyrics don't particularly lend themselves to being read aloud. The song lyrics are quite short but also very repetitive but not in a particularly rhythmic or catchy way, simply having the final line of the verse written twice. I also find that the wording does not flow especially well when being read aloud and I trip up over the boy's name of Jackie Paper. This seems an odd choice of name, although I am aware of some rumours that the name and other words used throughout the story have drug-related connotations. The final cover to this paperback copy suggests a far more innocent backstory to the song but perhaps the drug rumours makes a pretty bland song and story a little more exciting.

Even the addition of the CD, featuring the original song, does not make this version worthy of a purchase or a recommendation.

13.05.2014 12:48

Advantages

• "Laugh out loud story"

Disadvantages

• "It ended"

Bridget Jones at her best!

Having ordered a copy of the latest Bridget Jones novel from the library, I set about reacquainting myself with the main character by re-reading the previous ?diaries.'
                Originally published in 1999, The Edge of Reason is the second Bridget Jones story, picking up from the original diary the the familiar format and inimitable style. Here the fun and incredibly likeable Bridget has finally got her man but, in typical Bridget style, she is convinced that things will go wrong and seeks the advice of the experts - a series of self help guides and her group of dysfunctional friends.

Despite not having read the original for many years (although I have watched both film adaptations numerous times) I found it effortless to slip back into Bridget's world and mindset.

It is quite rare that a book literally makes me laugh out loud but I actually did that at numerous points throughout this story. The scenes where Bridget goes ski-ing really tickled me as that is something that I could easily imagine myself doing. Likewise, the antics of Bridgets mother and her random comments had me in stitches.

I had expected this book to have dated really badly as its publication pre-dates current trends such as social media and constant texting etc. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Bridget remains perfectly accessible and enjoyable. It is set in a specific year which does help to ground the story and actually brought back many memories of my own from 1997. (Particularly the election night - having had one of my own incidents that night that would be worthy of an inclusion in Briget Jones's diary.) I also vividly remember the announcement of the death of Princess Diana - watching news reports in the early hours of the morning following a night out clubbing. I can't quite believe that it is almost 17 years ago though - as it still seems like yesterday!

I found this a really enjoyable and totally engaging read, which brought back a lot of nostalgic pleasure from both the memories of Bridget Jones' exploits and from my own teenage exploits from that era.

I was really looking forward to losing myself in the new sequel but, having now read some of it, it soon became clear that Mad About the Boy does not have quite the same magic as this one does. Bridget will always be a thirty-something singleton with an obsession about Mark Darcy and self-help books. Helen Fielding should have left the character on the high note with this edition. It really cannot be bettered and is worthy of a re-read (and certainly a first time read) entirely on its own merits.

12.05.2014 15:26

Advantages

• "Quick and enjoyable read"

Disadvantages

• "Not as good as other books in the series"

Enid Blyton Mystery Story

The Mystery of the Missing Necklace is the fifth book in a series written by Enid Blyton featuring the Five Find-Outers & Dog. This is a series running along very similar lines to the Famous Five series, also written by Enid Blyton. I would say the Five Find-Outers are less well-known and aimed at a slightly younger audience, with the characters being younger and the adventures generally taking place closer to home with less opportunity for the danger associated with the Famous Five.

The Five Find-Outers are two sets of siblings (Larry and Daisy and Pip and Bets) as well as Frederick (known throughout the series as Fatty.) The other main character in the series is the local policeman, Mr Goon; known to the children as Old Clear ?Orf, thanks to his usual response to the children. Mr Goon views the children with a mixture of suspicion and contempt, with them having previously outwitted him and taken the credit for solving a series of unsolved mysteries in their village of Peterswood.

This fifth adventure starts slightly differently to the other books that preceded it as there is no obvious crime for the children to attempt to solve, much to their disappointment. They suspect that Goon has a mystery to solve but aren't able to get any information, beyond their having been a series of burglaries and thefts in the local area. They do still keep themselves amused, mainly because of Fatty's love of dressing up and his assortment of costumes and disguises. In this way, they inadvertently infiltrate a gang of local jewel thieves and set out to try and prevent the next big burglary.

As an adult reader, I found this to be a quick and enjoyable read. There is less of a mystery element than with other books in the series, so there is no real opportunity to play along with the children at being an amateur sleuth and working through potential suspects and analysing clues, as there is with some of the other Find-Outer tales. Much of what the children uncover arises through chance and then a massive leap of faith (which always proves to be correct) but that didn't really diminish my enjoyment of the story at all.The characters are all well established by this point in the series and it is Fatty who takes the leading role throughout this story, with the other children being very peripheral characters.

I don't think this is the best in the series and it isn't one that I could particularly recall reading from childhood but it is certainly an entertaining read, with a few instances of mild peril, danger and light-hearted humour. I would recommend this to young readers from the age of six upwards (if having the story read to them, due to some of the unfamiliar vocabulary) or independent readers from around eight. Otherwise, this should be equally appealing to adults wanting to rediscover much-loved stories from their own childhood.