jrh2

• Comments

Member since: 19.01.2013

20.02.2014 11:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

a great show centred around a small town

I had seen the Hart of Dixie pop up in my recommendations countless times on amazon but was never convinced I would like the show. My mum bought it for my birthday unaware of what I thought of it and although I was still unconvinced I watched a few weeks after getting it as I had nothing to watch on television. Much to my surprise I really loved the programme and ended up watching the whole twenty two episode series in one week. The series begins with a young doctor, Zoe Hart, graduating from medical school and continuing her dream to become a cardio-thoracic surgeon. At her graduation she is offered a job at a small medical practice in Alabama but declines hoping to get the job of her dreams. She ends up working in a New York hospital but is made to leave for two years to work at a GP and improve her bedside manner, which is currently nearly non existent. Still receiving post cards from Dr Harley Wilkes who offered her a job at her graduation, she takes up the offer and starts her new life in Bluebell, Alabama. Much to her surprise the small town is a whole different world from the busy New York lifestyle and not one she wishes to adapt to. I really enjoy the characters in the show and think it is great how they are all so different and unique for this little town in Alabama. I think Lemon is a particularly good and believable character and I like how the further into the series we get, the more understanding we have of her and her reasons for doing things. Zoe is the centre of the show and I think Zoe has some great comedic lines and although she is not always serious about her job in the beginning we get to see her understanding Bluebell and becoming more of a caring doctor and not letting people stand in her way. Although Zoe and her career as a doctor are an important part of the show, I was glad that we don't get to see too much blood and insides like some doctors programmes do. I hate this type of stuff so I was pleased to see that most of the time the camera will be at an angle where we can't see too much of what is happening. I really like how this programme is about a happy little town and not full of misery and scandal like some shows. It is refreshing to see how the town gets along together and embraces its uniqueness with small and unusual events like Planksgiving (a pirate themed thanksgiving). This is a fantastic show and great to watch with happy storylines and interesting characters, you don't want to miss this fun light hearted show.

06.02.2014 11:35

Advantages

Disadvantages

Another great clique book

Revenge of the Wannabes is the third book in The Clique series by Lisi Harrison. In this book Alicia has grown in confidence after she was lead in her dance class. She decides it would be a good idea to host her own sleepover but doesn't invite the other members of the Pretty Committee and Massie is furious. To prove her anger she forces Alicia to leave the exclusive clique and invites Claire to take her place. To make matters worse Alicia starts up her own clique and the rivalry between the two cliques begins. I enjoyed reading this book as we got to see how Alicia would cope when not following in the Pretty Committees footsteps. As expected she found it a challenge to be the Massie of her group but it was fun to read of her trying. I was glad Claire finally had a chance to join the exclusive club but its a shame Massie was just using her to annoy Alicia. It was interesting to see Dylan and Kristen contemplating to join Alicia's clique as being friends with both Alicia and Massie leaves them with the choice to stay in the Pretty Committee or move to Alicia's clique. An impossible decision when they are all good friends. With the Pretty Committee being split up it led to a lot of drama in the book. Drama is great to read though and the book is certainly worth a read too.

30.01.2014 12:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

my favourite watch

When I first saw this watch I was browsing through the Disney Store's website and I loved it from the first sight. Tinker Bell is one of my favourite Disney characters and although I didn't buy it straight away I went back a week or two later and was sad to see it was out of stock. After that I searched everywhere hoping to find one but didn't have much hope as usually anything sold by the Disney Store is exclusive to them but I eventually found one on QVC which I bought right away, not taking any chances this time! The face of the watch has a beautiful sketch of Tinker Bell on a mother of pearl dial. The sketch is the typical position you see of Tinker Bell but with only a close up of her face rather than her whole body which allows it to be a lot more detailed. I like how by having a sketch it looks more of an adults watch as a lot of watches with coloured characters on them look as if they are meant for children but this one is clearly aimed at an older age group. The mother of pearl dial is very pretty and a little shimmery which adds a little more detail to the face but not so much that it is too much for a small area. The watches face is three and a half centimetres and has a pretty border of clear diamantes. These are a stunning finishing touch to the watch and add a touch of sparkle making the watch even more pretty and girly. The diamantes are beautiful as they catch the light and seem to be popular with watches at the moment. When reading the watch there are four diamantes, one for three, six, nine and twelve, as is with a lot of watches these days. There are faint dashes for each minute and slightly bolder ones for five minutes but they are not that bold so you just get used to reading the time off of the four diamantes. The hands are a straight line of silver and stand out against the black and white background but don't take away from the effect of the sketch. When I first wore this watch I was surprised at how loud the ticking was from the second hand but you do get used to ignoring it. I was also surprised at the size of the bit that changes the time as it is quite big for one of those (sorry I don't know what that bit is called), and is a little big in comparison with the delicateness of the rest of the watch. The straps of the watch are made to be leather looking and are white. I thought that they seemed quite thin straps at first and didn't think the strap would last long without the leather cracking but I am glad to say it still looks as good as new, even after months of wearing it. The holes on the strap are for once the right size for my wrist, as I have a small wrist and the straps on watches are usually too big. This one is just right. As the watch is all white and silver colours it goes perfectly with any clothes and never looks out of place. The watch comes presented in a beautiful box which is almost as nice as the watch itself. The box has a black base and a bright pink lid which has a cushioned part on the lid with Mickey Mouse heads embossed in a organised pattern. Inside is a lovely pink cushion for the watch which it fits nicely around. I don't put the watch in the box each day as I never get around to doing it so instead I now use the box to store some jewellery in as it really is too nice a box to stick in the attic with the rest of our unused boxes. Overall I am so pleased to have found this watch and at £40 I think it was a bargain for the beauty and good quality of the watch. The watch is part of Ingersoll's Disney Wrist Art Collection so there are many other different Disney characters available with similar style watches but I will always stick with Tinker Bell.

23.01.2014 12:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good way to keep washing looking great

I trust Colour Catcher with all of my washes to protect the clothes from colour runs. Colour Catchers come in a box which includes 24 sheets. Each sheet is a white paper like material which is simply just put in with the clothes you will be washing and the sheet does the rest for you. The sheet will catch any colours that run and prevent it from ruining clothes. When I take the washing out I am often surprised at how much colour has run as you can see what the colour catcher has caught. The package states that it will prevent colour runs and allow mixed washes but I don't usually put mixed washes in just in case. I once put a new dark pair of jeans in with a white t-shirt by accident and it is now light blue therefore I now don't take a chance with mixed colour washes as I don't want more expensive clothes being potentially recoloured. It is more likely to be that the jeans hadn't been washed before though and not the colour catcher as I have never had any other problems with them otherwise. The Colour Catcher can be put in with any wash but they can only be used once. This means it doesn't take long to go through a box of them. With myself and others in the house using one with each wash a couple of times a week they are usually gone within a few weeks. Overall, these are a must have for my washing and I trust they will keep my clothes protected from running colours.

20.01.2014 21:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A nice story

Best Friends for Never is the second book in the Clique series by Lisi Harrison. I found this book to be so much better than the first one. With Claire and Massie still not being friends they come up with a challenge. Claire must go a month without repeating the clothes she is wearing and Massie must go the same amount of time without buying new clothes. With the loser having to complete a punishment which will effect their image both Massie and Claire are determined to keep to their word. To make it that little bit harder Claire and Massie host the first ever boy/girl Halloween party and all the class is invited. How can Massie go to a party without a new costume? I really liked the challenge they set in the book as it made it equally as hard for both and as expected they tried to secretly break the rules. Personally, I don't think I could go a month without repeating an item of clothing. I particularly enjoyed it when they had to go to lost property for a change of clothes as it would be there worst nightmare for the Pretty Committee. I thought it was very typical of Massie to befriend Claire just so they were allowed to have a party and a surprise that Claire went along with it but I think she still desperately wants to be friends with the popular girls. I liked how we saw the Pretty Committees difference in opinion as realistically friends don't always get along and it was interesting to see how they dealt with it. Overall, I think this is the best book of the series so far.

19.01.2014 21:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good start to the series

The Clique is the first book in the series of the same name by Lisi Harrison. When Claire Lyons and her family move to Westchester, New York from Florida they live in the guest house of her dads friends family estate. The family also have a daughter Claire's age, Massie, and they try to make them friends but Massie is not keen on the idea. Massie has a clique, The Pretty Committee, of which Claire is desperate to be a part of and will do anything to be involved. Massie, the leader of the Pretty Committee, has a reputation to uphold though and wouldn't want someone who looks like Claire (with little fashion sense and no designer clothes) to bring them down. I enjoyed reading this book and especially liked reading about Massie's view on a new girl. She may have been very critical to Claire but at times it was quite funny. I like how each member of the Pretty Committee were different in there personalities with Dylan, Alicia and Kristen always having a different view on events and not just copying the Queen Bee all the time. It was good to see how Claire would try to be friends with Massie and her friends but I like that she quickly learnt you won't get anywhere with those friends by just being nice. This is a great start to the series and I look forward to reading more.

18.01.2014 14:42

Advantages

Disadvantages

an ok olbas tissue

Whenever I have a cold I always use Olbas Oil to clear a blocked nose so when I saw these tissues I thought I would give them a go. Each pack of tissues has 9 square tissues which measure 20cm by 21cm. This is about the average size for a tissue in these packets. The tissues are a decent thickness but I find that the size of each tissue is not big enough, especially if you have a cold, and therefore the 9 tissues would probably run out within a day. The tissues each have tiny capsules filled with Olbas Oil to help clear a blocked nose. You cannot see these but once you scrunch up the tissue you can begin to smell the vapour being released. I find that although you can smell the Olbas Oil it is not as effective as when you use the original Olbas Oil and put it on a tissue yourself. The tissues do help to clear a blocked nose but not that well as the vapour is not very strong. The tissues are quite soft and are not hard like some tissues. With them being Lotus branded tissues they are good quality and due to the thickness it would be hard to rip or break them. As the Olbas Oil is already in the tissue they would be good to put in a bag or use if travelling but I much prefer to use the Olbas Oil rather than tissues. A good idea but not that effective.

16.01.2014 11:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

a grumpy elf learns the meaning of christmas

Back to Christmas is a short book written by Dennis Canfield. With only ninety five pages I was doubtful about how good the book would be as it didn't seem there would be much room to have a good depth to the story but I was wrong. The book follows two main characters, Marmel the elf and Amanda Krumwerth. The Krumwerth family have been on the naughty list for two years and if they do not show that they have a nice side by sundown on Christmas they will forever be on the permanent naughty list and have to put up with the consequences. As head of labelling, elf Marmel doesn't believe there is any hope for the family and isn't willing to put much effort in helping the family, despite it being Santa's request. He could be losing his Christmas spirit. My favourite part of the book was the idea of the Reverse Santa Clause who does everything the opposite of Santa Clause and therefore can be found at the South Pole rather than North and best of all, doesn't have reindeers driving the sleigh but penguins (of course!!). I think the Reverse Clause is totally unique to this book as I have never read anything similar before. The Krumwerth family was a very realistic and relatable family but they failed to have any Christmas spirit. I enjoyed seeing the family get closer as the book progressed and the things Marmel did to help were brilliant. With a little elf magic the family began to become a family again and understand that they were not much of a family in the first place. Although Marmel started off as a grumpy elf I liked seeing him change throughout the book. When he wouldn't listen to the clues about his future of an elf there was always someone looking out for him. The best message was that Marmel stayed true to himself in the end and risked the consequences of his actions. I really enjoyed the book and how it showed the true meaning and spirit of Christmas. With a good balance of the magical world of Santa and the realistic world with the Krumwerths, it is a fantastic Christmas story that everyone should read whatever age you are.

15.01.2014 13:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

a lovely case to keep my camera safe

After getting a new camera, I was on the search for a camera case to keep it safe when I found this one. I had looked through a few shops in my local town and previously only found black or grey cases so when I saw this pink one it caught my attention. The bright pink colour is what I like about it best as it looks a more fun case rather than black which looks serious and professional. There was a black version of the case also in the shop. The case is made from a neoprene material which has a soft touch to it but is thick enough to keep the camera safe and protect it from scratches. As you can see on the picture, there is a pattern going up the front middle which looks like flames which is a nice detail to the case. My camera fits well into the case and has a little room to spare but it is still kept safely. The case has a zip opening which is easy to open and keeps the camera securely inside. The back of the case has a part to attach to a belt loop which can be adjusted to the best size with the Velcro. On the inside of the case there is a small pocket which is the perfect size for a battery or card. I have found that the camera case itself doesn't have a handle but I usually keep the camera strap hanging outside of the case to hold on to it. Overall, I am really pleased with my camera case and I hope it will last for a long time.

14.01.2014 20:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

a nice read

Marshmallow Skye is the second in the Chocolate Box Girls series by Cathy Cassidy. This story follows the life of the sister Skye. Skye has a twin sister, Summer, who she feels she is drifting apart from and is missing the closeness they used to have. After a Halloween party the girls find a box full of vintage items which Skye becomes very interested in as she believes it belongs to Clara Travers. A young girl who lived in there house a hundred years ago and mysteriously disappeared. Believing she is being given clues to the secret, Skye begins to investigate, much to Summers disapproval. When I first started to read this book I thought it would be about both of the twins but I was pleased that it only focused on Skye as the two girls are different people with different opinions and personalities. I enjoyed the parts of the book where we got to read Skye's dreams of Clara as it helped to imagine Skye perspective on the situations. It was interesting to discover Clara's life with Skye and to have the chance to also piece the puzzle together. I liked the character Alfie and admired his persistence but couldn't help feeling like he was going for the wrong girl. I was surprised at the ending but it fit well with the story. It left me wanting to read more of the story but I was still satisfied that all my questions had been answered. Overall it was a brilliant book and I think I preferred it to the first one.

13.01.2014 20:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

A very nice princess story

Desi's life is a disaster. Working at a pet shop she has to stand inside the shopping mall dressed up as a furry animal but this is made worse when she is stood in front of her crush and enemy. When her boss tells her about a magic fish tank she checks it out. It can't be real, can it? Desi soon finds herself as a princess in a substitute agency after finding a magical advert in the local newspaper. When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it but I actually liked it a lot. Surprisingly, the book had quite a few funny moments and this was emphasized by the character, Meredith, who always says it as it is. I enjoyed the character Meredith as she may seem strict and to the point but she really does want the best from Desi and has a caring side too. Desi is a character who always wants to help and do the best for the princesses she's substituting for. I enjoyed seeing her using her initiative to change lives for the better. The princesses were not what I expected. A princess in the rainforest is not the typical spoilt princess in a castle but it was nice to read about a different kind of princess. I also thought that the book would be focused on one princess but there was actually three. Although it was good to see three completely different lives, I would have preferred to focus on one as each time as a princess seemed to be over before it had even started. My favorite princess was Elsa as I found she had an interesting story. I really liked finding out the princesses opinions on Desi but I was disappointed not to hear from Elsa herself. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The princess idea made it different from any other books I've read. Although I didn't think I'd enjoy it enough to read the following book my mind has been changed completely and I can't wait to read the next one.

12.01.2014 15:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

cherrry's point of view on the chocolate box girls

Cherry Crush is the first book in the new Chocolate Box Girls series by Cathy Cassidy. With each book from the point of view of one of the five sisters, this one follows the life of Cherry Costello. After Cherry's father finds a new girlfriend he and Cherry move to Kitnor where her new mother and four sisters live. She begins to get worried as she doesn't know any of the new family but soon she finds a friend Shay to help show her around. As Cherry and Shay get closer there are problems though, as Shay is the boyfriend of Honey, one of Cherry's step sisters. Can this really end in happiness? I really enjoyed reading the book from Cherry's perspective and think it will be interesting to get to know each of the sisters individually. It is a great idea to have a book series from five sisters view. I liked that we started the book with Cherry moving into a new house as it is the start of a new chapter for the family and it is interesting to see how the other sisters feel about a new person living in there home. Not everyone is as accepting of a new sibling. It is great that they all have the chocolate business in common as it shows they care about the family and want to help there parents make a success of the family business. The relationship both sisters have with Shay was particularly interesting to read and you can't help but feel for both sisters, will Cherry lose her first new friend or will Honey lose her boyfriend. I have always enjoyed Cathy Cassidy's books and this one is no exception, I look forward to reading the rest of the Chocolate Box Girls series.

11.01.2014 15:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

A excellent read

When a new boy arrives at school everyone finds him unusual but Eden has a special connection with him. She finds that he doesn't understand what any other teenager would and presumes that maybe there is more to him than he seems. A big secret which could effect the world is being hidden by this strange new pupil Ryan and Eden is going to get to the bottom of it. When I began reading this book I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it as there was a science theme throughout but I liked the sound of the story so hoped it wouldn't be too much science. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the science blended in well with the story and although it was an important part I was more interested in the characters to notice the science. I enjoyed reading about the relationship Ryan and Eden had in the book and liked how, even though they hadn't known each other for long, they still trusted each other with all their secrets. I liked how the further you got into the book, the more you knew about Ryan as him and his family were interesting to find out about and different from typical families in books. I thought there was a great element of mystery to this family. Nearer the end of the book I thought it was sad that Ryan had to leave when he was getting on so well with the other characters but I was pleased that there was still quite a lot more pages left to read and it wasn't left on a cliff hanger. The last twenty pages were exciting to read, especially as you get to see how life changes for Eden. Right at the end was my favourite part and it finished off a fantastic book brilliantly. I don't want to spoil it for others though! This is an excellent book which exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to read the next one.

06.01.2014 17:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

a mystery filled show with secrets and surprises

After a very long wait I was very pleased to finally be able to buy the second season of Pretty Little Liars on DVD. The series, Pretty Little Liars, is based on the book series of the same name written by Sara Shepard. The series follows a group of four friends, Aria, Emily, Hanna, and Spencer. After the disappearance of their friend Alison they have come back together as a group to figure out the mystery around Ali's death and A, who has been leaving them anonymous texts and messages and ruining there lives. The series begins where the last one left off, with Ian in the bell tower left for dead. The girls realise this may be an important part of the mystery. Aria is still in a relationship with her teacher Mr Fitz, much to her parents disapproval. Hanna is left heartbroken after Caleb left. Emily moves in with Hanna after her family move away and Spencer has a crush on Toby. As with all episodes of Pretty Little Liars, there is endless shocks and revelations with the highlight of the series being the reveal of who is A. Although this was a great scene it doesn't come much of a surprise if you've read the books. Despite this it was my highlight of the series. I also enjoyed seeing the girls accepting help from others around them but do they really know who they can trust. Rosewood has a lot of secrets! The last episode was full of drama and the best episode of the series so far. With a big cliff hanger I am left wanting more. This is a fantastic series which is full of mysteries and twists. I would highly recommend. Can't wait to watch the next series.

05.01.2014 12:42

Advantages

Disadvantages

One of the best books I have read (ever!)

When I first bought this book it was part of a promotion and I only bought it as I needed a second book. I left this book in my bookshelf for months and only recently decided to read it. As the book is called Night School I expected it would be full of vampires and werewolf's etc. as they were popular in books at the time and would be relevant to night but this book doesn't have a single vampire or werewolf in it. I was glad of this as I was a bit fed up of reading books of that genre. The book follows Allie, who after the disappearance of her brother, Christopher, has been misbehaving and getting in trouble with the police. As her parents are struggling to cope she is sent away to the mysterious school Cimmeria Academy, somewhere no one has heard of until arrival. Allie is reluctant to attend and is angry at her parents for sending her to boarding school and begins to misbehave but she soon realises that the school is not so bad after all. She is beginning to enjoy her life. Although she is having a good time and has met some new friends she still feels that some secrets are being kept from her and she wants in on them. She soon realises this is much more than a school and endeavours to find out all its secrets and how she became accepted in the first place when everyone but her are legacies. From the beginning of this book I couldn't put it down and found myself reading for hours at night when I should have been asleep. There was always something exciting and intriguing happening at Cimmeria but I won't spoil the surprise. I liked how Cimmeria Academy had strict rules and the no technology rule made the book even more interesting. No technology means they could only have face to face communication but it also means there is more gossip spread to keep up with the happenings at the academy. I loved how the characters were so believable and I liked how Allie made good friendships who helped her through her time at the Academy each with interesting back stories to help you understand why they were there. This book is such a fantastic book but it is hard to say how without spoiling it. Although I didn't expect to enjoy this book it has actually become one of the best books I have read. Having already ordered the next book online, I am eagerly awaiting for it to arrive so I can continue reading the mysteries of Cimmeria Academy.