juicy_lucy

• Comments

Member since: 26.12.2005

• Johnson's Baby Bath / Baby Care / 13 Readings / 13 Ratings
      01.08.2014 09:08

Advantages

• "Gentle bathing"

Baby bath

Johnsons baby bath

I like the Johnsons baby bath products as I find they are nice and gentle on my skin, and not at all drying

THE PROMISES...

The main promise I think this product makes is that of "no more tears" if it goes into your eyes, fine, it won't sting. This promises to be mild to the eyes and skin and gentle enough to use daily even on a baby. A great promise especially since my skin is quite dry at the moment and I don't want a lot of perfumed stuff.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

There are posts of versions of the baby bath including bedtime, moisturising, mildest ever. I think mine is probably the very basic one as all it promises is not to make eyes sting.

It comes in a large 750ml plastic bottle with the information and directions for use on the back. The product itself is blue and has that lovely baby fresh smell which always makes me think of these Johnson baby products. The smell is really strong when sniffed at through the bottle but when it is added to water it is a more diluted smell which for me is a bit of a shame as I would like the bathroom to smell like this, and for it to linger.

It's not an especially thick and creamy bath product and the best way to get lots of bubbles is to add it directly to running water or to agitate the water pence it is added to the water.

USING THE PRODUCT...

Simply add to running watr, mix it up a bit and then bathe. Because it is so mild, it does rinse off really easily and doesn't leave any nasty sticky residue.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

I'm not sure of the RRP but this is widely available from bargain stores and mine cost only £1 for this big bottle which is a real bargain.

VERDICT...

As expected, a lovely gentle bathing product. It's not especially moisturising but for me that's ok because I always apply moisturiser after a bath, the thing I like most about it is that it doesn't irritate my skin, but just seems to cleanse it gently. Little Miss also uses it in the shower by applying it to a sponge. She likes it because if it gets in her eyes it doesn't bother her. It seems to lather up better when applied with a sponge, and gives the same cleaning results.

Well worth the money, a well known and recommended product.

13.03.2014 08:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

Shower gel

Palmolive aroma therapy

I bought quite a few of these products as my local chemist was having an offer, buy six for £5, so they seemed good value at under £1 each.

The one I am reviewing is the absolute relax although there are several different products in the same range. This one contains Ylang Ylang and Iris as well as the usual promised essential oils, and promises to deliver a relaxing bathing experience.

The product itself comes in a 250ml bottle with bits of information but no instructions for use on the back of the bottle. The shower gel looks purple and so I was expecting it to contain lavender but it doesn't claim to have any lavender in the shower gel.

When I lift up the flip up lid and take a sniff, it does have a pleasant floral scent but not a sickly sweet smell, more a musky exotic floral smell.

The product itself when dispensed is clear and a nice thick consistency but not so much that I'm having to squeeze and shake to get it out of the bottle.

I have used this in the shower as well as in the bath. When using in the shower, if find it best to apply to a sponge and give the sponge a few squeezes to release the lather before massaging into the skin. It does work to a nice lather and feels nice and smooth when I am cleaning myself with the gel. In the bath it also releases lots of bubbles, but to achieve this in the bath I find that I do have to apply quite a lot of the product torun ing water. However once the bubbles are there and the bath is run it releases a nice relaxing scent into my bathroom and allows me a pleasant bathing experience.

It is simple to rinse off and leaves no residue, and whilst not especially moisturising, it doesn't make my skin feel dry and itchy. It is best however to apply,moisturiser because I think if I didn't then my skin could feel dry.

VERDICT...

at the price I bought this, this is a very reasonably priced shower gel which can be used in the bath and shower. It smells nice and after bathing I feel nicely relaxed and cleansed.

Recommended product.

08.03.2014 10:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Pressed powder

Rimmel powder

I don't often wear powder but sometimes when I am going out at night and want my foundation to have a bit more staying power I do opt for a powder.

This costs £3.99 and is available from chemists and supermarkets. It is I believe at the lower end of the price range for this kind of product but if it does the job then I'm not one for fancy names and prices.

It promises up to 5 hours natural shine control And to minimise the appearance of pores, and apparently contains natural minerals to help achieve this.

The product comes in a plastic tin like container with a lift on put back on lid. This isn't the greatest design for keeping th lid on top of the product as there is no catch to actually close the thing. I have the transparent powder which is apparently colourless but it is available in seven shades including pink blossom and sandstorm, so going through the shades of pinks and browns.

The product itself is a pressed powder and to apply I have to move my powder brush on the surface of the powder so that the powder is picked up by the brush. I usually use loose powder so I was a bit dubious about whether or not it would pick up the powder, but it does this easily and my brush comes up so With plenty of the powder on it. One positive point is that it's really not as messy as loose powder and I don't have powder falling all over the floor. The powder is then easy to apply over the face and because this is transparent I can apply all over my face without adding colour, but to set my make up.

VERDICT...

this is a reasonably priced powder which is easy to apply and lasts for ages. I have now had mine for a couple of months and I don't even seem to have dented the centre. I do however thing that given the design of the lid, it will have to be thrown out because the lid cracks and then the powder cracks and gets dirty rather than me using all of the product. That then is the down side, the fact that the lid isn't strong at all and doesn't close.

The powder doesn't have any colour and does make my make up last longer without making my skin look obviously powdery. It causes me no adverse effects and is easy ore move using my usual make up remover.

06.03.2014 00:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Sun shimmer powder

Rimmel sun shimmer

In summer, when I have a bit of a tan, there is nothing I dislike more than "proper" make up (foundation). The one thing I allow myself if going out is a bit of tinted moisturizer and some kind of sun shimmer blusher.

At the moment, this is my product of choice, mainly because it can be used with or without a make up base, and can be brushed all over.

It promises to give a natural instant sun kissed look, or can be used to enhance an existing tan.

THE PRODUCT.

This comes in a compact but without any sponge or brush applicator so you have to ensure you have in your possession a nice big fat blusher brush.

It looks kind of orange sandy colour, but don't worry, this isn't an indication of the colour you will be, as long as you don't over do it!

USING IT

Simply brush over face and body with a large cosmetic brush. I find that the best way to use it is to brush over the product a few times to ensure there is some of the powder on the brush (but don't overload) and then sweep it across your cheeks or whatever body part you want to look a bit sun kissed. It's a mistake to go over the same body part several times trying to look even browner because then you really do get the tangoed look! One sweep is quite enough because if the powder is on the brush it will transfer to your skin.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY

Available from most supermarkets and chemists, his costs £4.99 for 11g, (normal compact powder size) but it does last for ages.

It is available in 3 colours- light medium and dark. I bought the middle of the road medium and this suits me fine.
          WHAT I THINK OF IT...

For a summer glow, this is a good product. It's reasonably priced and does the trick.

I tend not to use it through the day because I don't like anything on my face when it's hot, but for night wear, it does give a nice healthy glow and a bit of a shimmer. It also doubles up as a normal blusher in winter when skin is paler, and I use it over m normal tinted moisturizer or foundation.

It's easy to use, and I have found that it's best to apply where you would apply blusher. If you have a tan, then because it has a bit of a shimmer, it looks great brushed across your shoulders and back- really shimmer when the lights go down.

Good no fuss item and one which is handy to have in your make up bag for those pale moments.

Thanks for reading.

04.03.2014 20:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cleaner

Cif floor cleaner

On of the household chores I like to make easier is floor cleaning, as I have several floors which require cleaning.

THE PROMISES...

This one promises to be easy to dilute, requires no rinsing and leaves a fresh fragrance and shine, so sounds like it's just what I'm looking for. It is apparently formulated to cut through dirt and other washable surfaces so I suppose it could be used as a surface cleaner.

WHERE CAN I USE IT?

This is suitable for use on Lino,vinyl and ceramic tiles. It doesn't say anything about using it on laminate or wood, but I have also used it on these types of floors and it's worked fine. The pictures on the back of the bottle also show shiny kitchen surfaces so I assume it's ok to use on tables and other surfaces, especially as it states that it is an all purpose cleaner.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

The cleaner comes in a large 1 litre plastic bottle with all of the information and instructions (written and pictures) on the front and back of the bottle. It has a carry handle which makes it great for carrying easily up and down stairs, and means it's less likely to slip out of my hands when I am carrying a multitude of things about the place.

The bottle has a screw on screw off cap but what surprised me is that it isn't a safety lid, which I do think it should be.

The product itself is a green blue colour which fits in with the ocean theme but as with all of these types of products when it is being used, it goes onto the floor as a clear liquid and doesn't leave floors with a green tinge.

It does smell very fresh but I would say more pine than the ocean, but this is fine with me as I do like my cleaned rooms to smell of pine, as I think it makes them have that just cleaned smell.

USING THE PRODUCT...

To use simply pour three caps of the cleaner into 5 litres of water, clean and go. With no need to rinse, this really is a do and go product. I don't tend to measure out the amount, but simply pour a good amount into the bucket, fill up the bucket and it works fine.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

I bought this from my local bargain store and at £1 a bottle, it really is a bargain. It is widely available in supermarkets but it's worth shopping round for the cheapest option.

VERDICT...

This is a very reasonably priced floor cleaner which does as it promises. It leaves floors and other surfaces looking and smelling fresh and clean. Because it doesn't require any rinsing, I'm not left with surfaces which look streaky and there is no residue.

A recommended product for all cleaning needs.

03.03.2014 07:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

Conditioner

Tigi bed head control freak conditioner

I have over time bought quite a lot of the Tigi products and bought this along with the shampoo because Little Miss and myself do tend to have quite unruly hair. I don't know if it does make a difference but I do like to buy matching shampoo and conditioner

WHAT DOES IT PROMISE?

This is stage two in the effort to control hair, with stage 1 obviously being the shampooing. This conditioner apparently keeps tangles and frizz at bay and promises to shorten dry time while giving you control over your hairs performance.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

This is a 250 ml bottle of the stuff, which comes in a green bottle with all of the instructions and information on the back of the bottle. It has a pump action dispenser which isn't actually my favourite type of dispenser because I always think that quite a lot of the product can be wasted.

The conditioner itself, like the shampoo, is thick and when dispensed quite gloppy, but it does smell lovely, very fruity, floral, and it's the kind of smell I hope will linger on my hair and make it have that just washed smell. The smell is exactly the same as the shampoo so with these products I really do like to use both so other scents don't overpower this one.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

This bottle costs around the £7 mark, so not the cheapest conditioner on the market but it does last for ages.

I haven't really seen it in shops and bought mine directly online, where it is widely available. It is also available In hair salons. There are often offers on the products so it's worth shopping around.

USING THE PRODUCT...

THe conditioner should be applied to wet clean hair, so directly after shampooing. To use it, the conditioner should be worked through hair and massaged into hair to make a lather. It should then be rinsed out of hair.

When I massage it into hair, it does lather up relatively easily but for me it feels a bit too thick to be really moisturising. When I first dispense the product I don't think it feels at all creamy and not at all like a conditioner should feel.

It is also quite difficult to rinse the conditioner completely out of my hair and when I comb it after towel drying, I don't think my hair feels especially conditioned, and the comb doesn't run too easily through my hair.

VERDICT...

The conditioner, like the shampoo, smells great and this nice smell does linger in hair. It's not a very moisturising conditioner and I can find that my hair feels dry after use. After I use it, it doesn't really feel as though my hair has been conditioned, and although it smells great, it doesn't really look or feel soft and conditioned.

It is recommended that serum is used as stage three, but even though I applied a serum to my hair, this product didn't really work for my hair. My daughter has greaser hair than me and she likes this conditioner, but it still leaves the ends of her very long thick hair looking a bit frizzy.

As for styling, I certainly haven't noticed that it makes hair more manageable or reduces drying time, but I always think these kind of claims are quite over rated anyway.

A great smelling conditioner, which is quite expensive and which certainly doesn't deliver on all claims.

28.02.2014 01:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Shampoo

Tigi bed head control freak

I have quite a lot of the Tigi products and bought this along with the conditioner because Little Miss and myself do tend to have quite unruly hair.

WHAT DOES IT PROMISE?

As the name suggests this promises to tame your hair, and apparently it will make your hair succumb to your every whim! It promises to be a hair straightener and frizz control in one, which by anyone's standards is a tall order.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

His is a big 400ml bottle of the stuff, which comes in a green bottle with all of the instructions and information on the back of the bottle. It has a pump action dispenser which isn't actually my favourite type of dispenser because I always think that quite a lot of the product can be wasted.

The shampoo itself is thick and when dispensed quite gloppy, but it does smell lovely, very fruity, floral, and it's the kind of smell I hope will linger on my hair and make it have that just washed smell.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

This big bottle costs around the £12 mark, so not the cheapest shampoo on the market but it does last for ages.

USING THE PRODUCT...

THe shampoo should be applied directly to wet hair and massaged into hair and scalp. It can then be repeated; I always give it two applications because I find this is the best way to get my hair squeaky clean.

Because it is a thick shampoo, I do find that it does lather easily but the downside to this is the fact that it does take some effort to get it all rinsed out. If all of the shampoo isn't rinsed out it can make hair look lank and leave it not looking especially newly cleaned so it is important to take the extra time to make sure it's all rinsed out before applying the second lot of shampoo.

VERDICT...

The shampoo smells great and this nice smell does linger in hair. I find that it works better for my daughter and the only reason I can think of for this is the fact that she has much thicker hair than I do, and it seems to almost absorb some of the heaviness of the shampoo. My hair can seem to be almost overcome by the thickness of the shampoo.

After using this shampoo, I also find that my hair can be left feeling and looking quite dry, and for this reason it's probably best suited for hair which is prone to being greasy, and certainly not for dry hair.

As for styling, I certainly haven't noticed that it makes hair more manageable, but I always think these kind of claims are quite over rated anyway.

A great smelling shampoo which is quite expensive and which certainly doesn't deliver on all claims.

25.02.2014 07:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

Moisturising cream

Nivea rich body moisturiser.

This is one of my favourite body moisturisers, and one which I have used for several years especially when I go on holiday and my skin is particularly dry.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

The product is widely available in chemists and supermarkets and costs around the £3.50 mark for a large 400ml bottle.

THE PROMISES...

This enriched formula contains Almond Oil and has been developed to intensively moisturise and care for your skin. It apparently restores and replenishes lost moisture, enhances the skin's natural protective layer and gives 24 hour moisturisation. It also promises to reduce the skins roughness, and enhance the skin's natural barrier.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

The moisturiser comes in a large blue bottle with all of the information and instructions on the back of the bottle. It has a flip up to open flip down to close lid. Once the lid is opened its a simple matter of giving the bottle a squeeze to get the cream out. The cream itself is white in colour and whilst it does have a very pleasant smell I'm not entirely sure what it smells of. It's not exactly floral nor is it medicinal smelling and it's one of those smells that's neither masculine or feminine. Definitely one I like though. The cream itself isn't overly thick but it also doesn't just run out of the bottle. It's a really nice consistency and as soon as I put it onto my hands I know it will moisturise my skin.

USING THE PRODUCT...

For best results apply daily, by just massaging into the skin. I tend to apply it after a bath and before I go to bed. The moisturiser is easily absorbed by my skin and leaves my skin feel fresh and moisturised and not at all sticky. I have also found that it. Is gentle enough to use of younger skin so it's really one for the whole family.

VERDICT...

This is a really good moisturiser which is reasonably priced and does what it promises. I find that when used regularly, my skin really does feel softer and much less dry.

Recommended moisturiser for anyone with dry skin

19.02.2014 08:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

Dewormer for cats

Bob Martin spot dewormer

My cat is a bit of a nightmare when trying to get her to take tablets. If they are crushed into food she won't eat and I really can't stomach the thought of forcing a tablet down her throat, so we tend to use these liquid dewormers to cause her and me minimum distress.

WHO AND WHAT IS IT FOR?...

The product is for Cats & Kittens over 1kg, so at this weight it is for fairly young kittens, although it doesn't indicate an age. The product is clinically proven to work almost immediately and is apparently 100% effective at getting rid of tapeworm and other common types of worms.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

The product is widely available in supermarkets and pet shops and costs around £6 for two applications.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

The product comes packaged in a box with all of the instructions and information on the back of the box, and a more detailed instruction leaflet inside the box. Inside the box is a blister sealed pack with each of the two tubes inside its own separate compartment. The tubes are quite small, being 20ml each, so at least the packaging isn't big.

USING THE PRODUCT...

Its really simple to use and my cat has no issues at all sitting on my knee while the solution is administered. Simple break the seal on the tube by insert ingot he sharp lid top into the covering. Then, part the hair at the back of the cats neck so that some of the skin is exposed, and squeeze. The odourless liquid comes out easily and I assume goes through the skin into the cat.

The product starts to work immediately and to ensure your cat stays worm.free it should be used every three months.

For anyone using it for the first time, the instructions inside the packed give detailed diagram drawing so it really isn't difficult.

VERDICT...

My cat is over three years old and having used this every three months since she was a kitten, she really hasn't ever had any worms...or at least there is nothing about her to suggest she has ever had worms.

The product is extremely easy to apply, causes no distress and because it is odourless it doesn't seem to bother her at all. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it does make the fur on the back of her neck look a bit greasy for a couple of days. However, this soon goes and it doesn't appear to bother her in the slightest.

A recommended product which I will continue to use.

14.02.2014 07:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

Treatment for distressed hair

Redken extreme cat

I have recently been suffering from snapping hair, so much so that one side of my hair was distinctly shorter than the other. After having it all chopped off, the hairdresser suggested that I needed protein based products and recommended this spray treatment.

THE PROMISES...

This Protein hairspray will apparently reconstruct, recondition and add immediate strength without any added weight. It also promises to be a Strengthening hairspray which will boost hairs shine and softness.Redken's 3D Repair Complex builds long lasting strength and conditioning into your hair leaving it healthier and more manageable. The spray is formulated to provide a triple line of defence with proteins penetrating into the core of your hair helping to build internal strength, the ceramide enters the cuticle layers to help repair any damaged areas, and natural lipids, help resurface hair leaving the cuticles shiny, smooth and protected.

If all of this is true then I wish I had found this ages ago...

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

The product comes in a 150ml blue blue plastic bottle with all of the information and directions on the bottle. One of the things I like instantly is that although it is blue, I can see straight through the bottle and so see how much of the product is left in the bottle.

The bottle has a spray mechanism and when I spray the product I can't work out if the scent is more perfumed or medicated. I think it's a little bit of a floral scent because when it is applied to my hair my hair doesn't smell like it's had a medicated treatment on it.

HOW TO USE THE PRODUCT...

The instructions on the back of the bottle tell me that after shampooing I should squeeze excess water from my hair and apply the treatments and lather. It should then be left on the hair for between 3 and 5 minutes and then rinsed out of the hair. It does rinse out nice and easily, and when it is rinsed out, my hair is easy to comb. My hair dresser also suggested that I spray it onto my hair some time before I wash it and then after washing and before styling. I have tried it both ways and tend to prefer the two applications.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

the product is widely available in chemists online and in hair salons and costs around the £12 mark. Whilst this seems expensive, even using it twice for each wash as I do, it does still last for ages, and when hair is as distressed as mine, then I was willing to try anything.

VERDICT...

When I first apply the product to my hair it does make each individual strand of hair feel thicker and less soft, which at first was a bit disappointing especially when I have just thoroughly washed and conditioned my hair. I tend to spray it on about an hour before washing my hair to let it really seep in, at which stage I just look as though I have greasy hair. It does wash out easily with my normal shampoo, and then when I spray it in after washing and conditioning I'm ready for the styling. Because my hair strands seem thicker, then I do feel as though it is being protected from the heat.

I have been using this for about a month now and I really do think it is making a difference. My hair feels stronger and it is definitely growing at the same rate at both sides of my head. Snapping has been reduced and the side of my hair which was especially distressed now looks thicker and healthier.

Definitely a product I would recommend.

07.02.2014 08:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Surface cleaner

Dr Johnsons anti bacterial cleanser
            (the picture shown is not the spray)

I usually just pick up surface cleaners wherever I am shopping and have no particular loyalty to any brand as long as my surfaces are kept clean.

THE PROMISES...

This product promises to be certified to kill 99.9% of most bacteria including MSRA, and will apparently leave surfaces hygienically clean. It is safe for all surfaces including those where food is prepared and can also be used in fridges and microwaves.

PRODUCT AND PACKAGING...

The cleaner comes in a clear plastic 750ml bottle with the instructions written on the back of the front label; fortunately then, the liquid is clear. To dispense the liquid there is a trigger spray and when I first sprayed the trigger I was surprised at the lack of smell, as I was expecting it to smell more like a disinfectant. However, I put this down to the fact that it doesn't contain bleach, which for me is a good thing as I tend to get bleach marks all over my clothes.

USING THE PRODUCT...

It can be used on most kitchen and bathroom surfaces. The instructions don't indicate this but I wouldn't use on untreated wood. To use, simply open the nozzle by twisting, spray, wipe with a damp cloth and leave to dry. It really is that simple to use, and because the spray is dispensed in a nice even spray and not too much of it, I can spray it directly where I want it to go.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

I bought this at my local bargain store and believe it cost 89p, so great value for a cleaner.

VERDICT...

Whilst I can't vouch for the killing of germs claim, this does leave surfaces clean and any ingrained food in the microwave or fridge wipes off easily, without having to eave it on the surface for any length of time. As claimed, it doesn't leave any smell, but although there isn't a bleach smell I would prefer there to be a smell so that the kitchen had that "just cleaned" smell and feel.

However for the price and the ease of use I would recommend this.

01.02.2014 00:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Christmas book

The little book of christmas

I have had this book for a couple of years and each christmas time, have found it very useful in my classroom.

The book is obviously focused on christmas and is one of a series of " little books" including outdoor play, role play, phonics, cooking from stories and bricks and boxes. They are all reasonably priced at £6.99.

One of the things I liked initially about his series of books is the size and the design. The book measures about 21cm by 15cm so it's a good size to hold. It is also spiral bound which makes turning the pages and keeping it at the chosen page easy without having to pull the spine the spine
            Back and possibly damage the book.

The whole series has been written for children in the Foundation Stage, but many of the activities can be adapted and also used with older children.

The introduction of the book indicates the links with Early Learning Goals for the Foundation Stage and includes all areas, PSE, Language and Literacy, Maths, Knowledge and Understanding of the World, Physical Development and Creative Development. For all of these areas, there is a list of the objectives which are met when doing the activities in the book. Also on the first few pages are pointers on how the adult can foster independence in children with ideas on what children of all ages can do and what the adult should focus on to help them gain independence.

The index at the front of the book indicates that there are 28 specific activities and at the end are some suggestions for additional christmas activities. The book is divided into six sections: cooking, cards, calendars, gifts, role play activities and outside. The double page spread at the very back of the book is devoted to quick additional ideas such as ideas for a Christmas feely bag, paper games and feeding the birds.

Each activity is spread over two pages. There is a line drawing showing the activity and a short description of the activity. Each activity is then divided into sections, neatly sectioned off with red lines. It starts with a "what you need" section, with all of the equipment listed. The equipment is usually things you would already have in the house and if not, the things needed are not expensive. The next section is "what to do". For each activity, the instructions are numbered and listed and the language is nice and simple, with a verb starting each instruction, giving children an idea of how to write instructions. After the instructions is a very short section "...and another thing" this just gives a little extra such as ideas for giving the sweets as presents, and ideas for extra things children could do to foster independence. The double page spread ends with a list of the Early Learning Goals, so as you work through the activities, it is clear which goals have been worked on.

OTHER INFORMATION...

ISBN: 9781902233642
            Number of pages: 66

VERDICT...

The book is full of Cooking ideas, craft, stories, role play gifts, decorations and more. Some of the ideas I had seen before but it is really useful to have all the ideas in one book. If I really wanted to, I could get the majority of my Christmas activities for the classroom from this book.

The instructions are clearly written in simple language and I like the fact that there is a very comprehensive list of what I need so I can get everything together before I start. The ideas are nice and simple and I haven't found anything yet which was too tricky or fiddly for me to be able to make. I also find that I can adapt a lot of the ideas in the book.

Given that it's got the early learning goals for each activity, this is aimed at young children but I have used some of the ideas with children in key stage one and they have enjoyed them.

Great book for the festive period, and recommended as are the other books in this series.

28.01.2014 07:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cat bowl

Silhouette cat bowl

For some reason we seem to lose cat bowls, and if we don't lose them they break or we just generally get fed up of seeing the same bowl day after day!

We bought this cat bowl from Pets at Home for £4 and like it because it kind of matches her cat mat.

The bowl is white in colour and, as the name suggests has black silhouettes of cats spaced around the sides of the bowl. The cats are either sitting or standing and are repeated round the bowl.

One of the things I liked about this bowl is that it is quite deep, being about 51/2cm. It is also not curved but is straight and I find that with a bowl like this the food is less likely to drop onto the floor- I think our cat is quite a messy eater and so all th help she can get is appreciated. With the bowl being this deep it also means we can get a good mix of wet and dried food mixed into the bowl without it looking too full. It is about 13cm in diameter so is more suitable for the needs of an adult cat which will be having more food than for a kitten; my friend has just got a kitten and when she ate out of the bowl it looked like her head was going to get lost!

It is made out of heavy stoneware and so is nice and durable and a because it is heavy it doesn't get pushed around the floor as she gets the very last remnants of food from the inside edges. So we have the weight of the bowl but being stoneware it also means that it can be smashed if dropped onto a hard surface. However, having used this for a couple of months yet we haven't doe any damage and it can take the odd knock without chopping.

It is easy to clean and doesn't seem to get scratch marks or to stain. So far also, the pictures of the cats haven't faded but this could be because we don't put it into the dishwasher but rather wash it by hand using normal washing up liquid.

VERDICT...

A good heavy duty cat bowl which holds enough food for an adult cat and which looks good.

23.01.2014 23:18

Advantages

Disadvantages

Candy floss maker

Candy floss maker

One of the things Little Miss received for christmas was this candy floss maker.

WHAT DO I GET?...

It comes boxed and inside the box is the candy floss base unit, bowl which sits on the top, a measuring spoon, and ten bamboo sticks. The whole thing is very pink so I think it will probably appeal to girls, and is especially good for sleep overs!

USING THE PRODUCT...

the candy floss maker does get very hot so it is important that children are closely supervised.

The candy floss maker is already fully assembled so thankfully there are no fiddly bits to put together, it's all good to go immediately. First the removable bowl unit has to be cleaned and then attached to the base unit; this is easy to do by just pressing the bowl onto the base, and waiting until you hear the click, which indicates it is in proper position. To clean, the removable bowl just has to be removed from the base unit and washed as you would wash other dishes. I haven't put it into the dishwasher but tend instead to hand wash it in case it breaks.

To make the candy floss, the switch should be put onto "on" and then allowed to run for about 5 minutes. This is when it gets very hot and almost like a grill, so fingers must be kept away.

Before adding the sugar, the unit should be switched to off.We then measure a level spoon of sugar into the measuring spoon and the sugar should be poured into the centre receptacle and then the unit switched to on.

The candy floss maker then starts to make the sugar into candy floss and as the sugar spins round the unit then the bamboo sticks, if used properly, should pick up the candy floss. To do this, simply hold the bamboo stick next to the sugar as it spins round and at the same time turn the bamboo stick so that the candy floss wraps round the stick.

When all of the sugar has been dispensed then the unit should be switched off.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY...

this costs about £45 and is available online and in major stores. It seems expensive but is well worth the money given that it needs no expensive ingredients.

VERDICT...

This is a good quality fun gadget which does what it says.

With a very small amount of sugar we get about three sticks of delicious candy floss. At first it's quite difficult to spin the stick and get hold of the candy floss because as it goes round the bowl it's very thin and almost like a spiders web. However with practice it gets much easier.

The bowl is easy to use and cleans easily.

Great product for sleepover time, watching movies etc.

• Echo Wellness Hola Hoop / Fitness / 59 Readings / 58 Ratings
                09.01.2014 00:35

Advantages

Disadvantages

Hula hoop

Hula hoop

One of the things I have been meaning to get for a while is a hula hoop, to see if I can still hula hoop and also because I've heard they're quite good at keeping you fit. I usually go running but find its a bit dismal in the winter so wanted something to supplement it when it was just too wet and cold to get out.

I saw this one for about a tenner and because it just looked nice and simple without any fancy gadgetry bits decided it was worth a go. I think the RRP is closer to the thirty pound mark so I felt I got a bit of a bargain.

My hula hoop is in two shades of green but it is also available in brown and cream.

The hula hoop comes boxed and when I open it up the hoop is in several pieces. Not as bad as it seems, because all I had to do was clip the pieces together in light then dark green combination. Once assembled, it is nice and sturdy and the bits show no signs of coming apart. It's about 95cm in diameter which is big enough so that I can do fancy tricks but not so big that it becomes unwieldy. It is heavy without being too heavy but definitely heavy enough so that I have to do some work to get it moving, which was the idea behind buying it.

The hula hoop is easy to use, and does as much or as I am capable which isn't a lot!

VERDICT...

A fun way to keep fit. This is a good quality product which, since Little Miss has got hold of it, has taken a bit of a battering both inside and outside the house. If it needs a clean I just wipe it with a damp cloth but other than that it requires no maintenance.

I am still pretty rubbish at the whole thing but getting better and after having a go with it I do feel my muscles have been worked without it actually feeling that I have worked too hard- always a bonus.

Recommended for anyone wanting a fun way to exercise