karalouk

• Comments

Member since: 05.03.2009

• Jacob's Club Mint / Chocolate / 12 Readings / 11 Ratings
      25.06.2014 11:13

Advantages

• "Good value"
      • Delicious!

Disadvantages

• "Not the healthiest of snacks!"
      • Addictive!

Minty goodness!

I love chocolate, I love biscuits and I love mint! So you may not be surprised to hear one of my favourite naughty treats are Jacob''s Mint Club Bars.
      Jacobs are probably best known for manufacturing crackers and savoury snacks, but they are behind lots of sweet treats too. Club bars have been around for as long as I can remember, I can recall having them at home and in my lunch box as a child. I can also remember the nostalgic advert! "If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join our club!".
      The bars come in a long plastic packet which contains 8 individual Club bars. The packet is bright green with ''CLUB'' written across the front in huge letters (you can''t miss them on the shop shelf!). Each Club bar is individually wrapped in silver foil with a paper wrapper over the top. I prefer foil wrapping as it not only keeps food fresh but it''s easy for children to open by themselves (plus the food can be resealed if they don''t wish to eat it all). I suppose this isn''t great for the environment but it does make them suitable for taking out and about (putting in lunch boxes etc). The bars are around 4 inches long, quite chunky and are covered in smooth milk chocolate with ''Club'' embossed on the top.
      Everything is delicious about these bars, they have a great taste AND great texture. The combination of milk chocolate and mint is divine, both flavours compliment each other really well. The chocolate on the outsides is thick and generous, there is also a thick mint layer on top (underneath the chocolate but on top of the biscuit) which gives the biscuit a very minty taste but quite a subtle minty taste, not mouth burning. The biscuit is crunchy (but not chewy) and goes really nicely with the smooth melt-in-your-mouth chocolate. The chocolate is a good quality chocolate too, none of that cheap tasting nonsense! I''d say Jacob''s Mint Club Bars would please most people (young and old) providing you like chocolate and mint...
      Each bar contains 6.0g of fat, 116 calories an 13.9g of carbohydrates. These obviously aren''t the healthiest of treats (I''m actually surprised how many calories are in one bar) but you will be fine if you eat them as treats and in moderation. They''re made in the UK and are suitable for vegetarians. They contain no hydrogenated vegetable oil and are free from artificial colours and flavours.
      Jacob''s Mint Clubs are widely available, in most supermarkets etc. A large pack of 8 generally costs between 1.50 - 2.00 GBP which I think is pretty reasonable. I have also noticed that Club Bars are often on offer, our most recent pack cost just 1.00 GBP from Morrisons. Another reason to love them!

14.06.2014 17:03

Advantages

• "Great atmosphere/theme"
        • "Fantastic attractions"
        • "Nice restaurants"
        • "Suitable for all ages"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

All the magic of Hollywood movies, in Florida!

Disney''s Hollywood Studios (formally Disney MGM Studios) can be found in the Walt Disney Resort, Orlando, Florida. It was originally opened in 1989. If you are staying at a Disney hotel then you can take a free direct shuttle bus to and from the Hollywood Studios. Parking is available at the front of the park and vehicles cost $17 per day (and free for guests staying at Disney hotels). Unsurprisingly entry prices to the park are quite pricey and start at $94 for a day ticket!
        The Studios has one clear theme - cinema and television. It largely focuses on ''behind the scenes'' - think film sets, acting, props, stunts and special effects. The park is split into different areas which include Hollywood Boulevard, Echo Lake, Streets of America, Animation Courtyard, Pixar Place and Sunset Boulevard. The iconic centre point of Hollywood Studios is a giant blue sorcerer Mickey hat (that looks especially brilliant when lit up at night).
        Some of my favourite rides and attractions include:
        - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (a spooky old hotel that takes you up 199 feet, then DROPS you back down at a stomach turning speed!)
        - Toy Story Midway Mania (a VERY popular 4D interactive ride that I recommend you Fastpass early on. You wear 3D glasses, sit it carts and take part in a number of Toy Story themed carnival type mini-games)
        - Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (you can''t miss the ride - there is a giant AT-AT outside and recreation of the Ewok Village! There are some interactive droids in the queue line, including C3PO and R2D2. Star Tours is a 3D simulator ride. You board a ''Starspeeder 1000'' and set out on an adventure. Each ride is different but similar in some parts and they all feature popular Star Wars characters. The ride also picks out ''a rebel'' spy and it could be you! A great ride for all ages and a ''must do'' in my opinion)
        - Fantasmic! (a must do show for everybody. On most evenings and includes water, projectors, live actors, characters, fire, lasers and fireworks! A wonderful show that lives up to its name)
        Other attractions I recommend include Honey I Shrunk The Kids: Movie Set Adventure, Muppetvision 3D, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Beauty & The Beast Live on Stage and Rock ''n'' Rollercoaster.
        There''s more than 20 eating establishments, so plenty of choice. I highly recommend Hollywood & Vine (great value and great tasting buffet restaurant), Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre Restaurant (you dine in convertible cars in front of a cinema screen - great atmosphere) and 50''s Prime Time Cafe (quite small but nice atmosphere and I had a delicious dessert here!).
        Hollywood Studios is a great day out and is probably one of my favourite Disney parks. Brilliant theme and atmosphere - plenty of photo opportunities. Also look out for characters and the daily Pixar parade! The attractions are fantastic and there''s something for everybody.

05.06.2014 22:40

Advantages

• "Looks great - very comical! Just like he does in the film"
          • "Bendy legs"
          • "Good size"
          • "Well priced"

Disadvantages

Our flexible, purple, furry and artful friend!

Like most young children, my daughter is a big fan of Monsters Inc and more recently Monsters University. There are a lot of stand-out characters in Monsters University but a lot of peoples favourite (including mine) seems to be Art. Art is a strange looking monster who doesn't really have a body, just super long legs with a face at the top! My daughter received an Art soft toy from The Disney Store for Christmas which she was really pleased with. The toy cost 8.00 GBP (you can also buy a smaller version for 5.00 GBP). There is a patch sewn on to the bottom of his foot - it reads 'Genuine, Authentic, Original Disney Store'. This particular product cannot be found anywhere else. I love Disney Store plush toys as they are always great quality and this toy is no different - it's very durable, robust and well made. We have owned him for 6 months and he's still in perfect condition. He's a good size too, especially for the price. The toy looks really comical and just like he does in the Monsters University movie. He is bright purple with blue stripes, has huge long legs and little arms that hang down. He has a really silly face with huge grin and sleepy looking eyes. His legs are poseable and can be bent in to all different positions! My daughter really appreciates this aspect as she can make him do all sorts of funny things, including break dancing! He's not particularly soft inside but he isn't hard either, just a little firm I'd say. However on the outside he is covered with thick soft fluff. Overall I'd say this is a great looking soft toy that fans of the movie/character are sure to love. It's great quality, a good size and BENDY TOO!

04.06.2014 20:34

Advantages

• "Well priced"
            • "Looks great & very good quality"
            • "Has the year stitched on - a nice personal touch"
            • "Can use as a ring cushion & keep as a momento"
            • "Lovely & unusual gift for Disney loving couples!"

Disadvantages

A touch of Disney for your wedding day!

A Disney loving friend of mine got married a couple of years ago and I wanted to buy her something that she could keep as a memento of her special day. Money and vouchers are a brilliant gift but they''re not very personal and you certainly cannot keep them forever! I came across the ''Mickey and Minnie Mouse Wedding Cushion'' in The Disney Store - it was gorgeous and I just knew I had to buy it! The cushion is a decent size (approximately 26cm high and 30cm wide) and is plush and squidgy. The picture on the front of the cushion is of Minnie dressed as a beautiful bride and Mickey dressed as a groom. Mickey is putting a big sparkly ring on Minnie''s finger as they both stare lovingly at each other. There is also a ribbon stitched on to the cushion (across their hands) - this allows the cushion to be used as a ring cushion! The cushion itself is very soft and is edged with pretty, white satin. One thing that I particularly like about the cushion is that is has the year stitched on to it (the date changes each year but the picture stays the same) which gives it a more personal touch. The cushion is great quality - it''s made from good materials and the stitching is perfect. My friend was really pleased with her cushion and I often see it taking pride of place in her living room when I go to visit! The Mickey and Minnie Wedding Cushion costs just 12.00GBP at The Disney Store which I think is a very reasonable price for such a beautiful cushion (and an OFFICIAL Disney product). You can also get it boxed, complete with Mickey sprinkles, for an extra small fee. If you''re looking for a wedding gift for a Disney fan who might not want champagne flutes/toaster OR are a Disney loving bride/groom looking for a suitable ring cushion, then I definitely recommend the Mickey and Minnie Wedding Cushion to you!

04.06.2014 12:27

Advantages

• "Good size (can also snap in to smaller pieces)"
              • "Loads per box - good value"
              • "Vitamins & minerals"
              • "My dog likes them"

Disadvantages

Substantial treats that my dog enjoys...

I have been feeding my dog Bonio biscuits for years. They come in a few different flavours but I tend to stick to the 'original' as that is what my dog is used to and they don't upset his stomach. I usually find that a lot of dog treats are just too small and not substantial enough for my large sized dog, however I find that Bonio biscuits are a really good size for him. Each Bonio biscuit is about 3 inches long and quite chunky. They are bone shaped and light brown coloured (they don't really smell either), with 'Bonio' embossed across each biscuit. My dog feels like he's getting a proper treat when I give him a Bonio, however they may prove a little too large for smaller dogs (Bonio's are suitable for all breeds and all sizes). They're more snack-size than treat-size if feeding the biscuits whole. Thankfully Bonio's can be snapped in to two or three different pieces, which not only makes them easier for smaller dogs to feast on but makes the box last a lot longer. If I am just treating my dog to one or two Bonio biscuits then I will generally give him whole biscuits, however if I am out and about (on walks etc) or my dog requires more than a few treats during a short period then I will usually break the biscuits up to avoid over indulging! The biscuits are crunchy and my dog enjoys chomping through them, whilst also giving his teeth and gums a good clean at the same time. The daily feeding guide (based on approximate adult weight) is 1 biscuit for 7kg, 2 biscuits for 15kg and 4 biscuits for 30kg. The ingredients include cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, oils and fats, minerals, meat and animal derivatives. I don't see anything too bad in the ingredients, although they do seem quite cereal based. They are enriched with vitamins and minerals which is good to know. The biscuits come in a bright red cardboard box and are available in all supermarkets and pet stores. Each box contains a generous amount of Bonio biscuits (about 30) and a box tends to last us a decent amount of time. A box of Bonio biscuits generally cost around the 1.60 (GBP) mark, which I think is very good value for money. I would recommend these chunky treats to all dog owners.

03.06.2014 11:22

Advantages

• "Fun set & easy for little ones to use"
              • "Be just like Merida!"
              • "Reasonably priced"
              • "Good quality"

Be BRAVE & fire!

I took my daughter to the cinema to see Disney''s Brave a couple of years ago. In the following months she was hooked on the film! The film centres around a young Scottish princess called Merida who happens to be excellent at archery. I spotted the ''Brave Archery Set'' in The Disney Store and knew my daughter would love it. It cost 12.50 GBP which I thought was quite a reasonable price for an official Disney product that not only looked good but seemed like good fun. The set consists of a bow, 4 arrows and a holder (or ''quiver'' as it''s actually called). As expected my daughter loved it and was eager to play with it on Christmas day after unwrapping it! I thought it would prove a little tricky for her (she was only about 5 years old at the time) but she picked it up in no time, despite ME not being able to fire a single arrow! The arrows have suckers on the end of them and stick to most surfaces (you don''t need to get them wet before firing them either). I don''t particularly like her firing at the walls in case the arrows make marks so I usually get her to fire at doors and other wood/plastic surfaces. The whole set is good quality - the quiver is made from solid plastic and is very useful for storing the arrows away (it also has a thick adjustable strap for little ones to wear over their shoulder like Merida), the arrows are quite thin but well made and the bow is not only functional (and a generous size) but is decorated very nicely and looks just like Merida''s bow. My only personal downside is that one of our arrows snapped in half, however this was probably my daughters fault as it wasn''t stored in the quiver at the time. A year and a half on and my daughter still likes to regularly play with her Brave Archery Set. Overall I''d say this is a brilliant little set that all boys and girls of the film Brave are sure to love.

01.06.2014 12:02

Advantages

• "Nice for fans of the movie"
              • "Soft & squidgy"
              • "Authentic Disney"
              • "Good quality/Robust/Durable"
              • "Gorgeous! Really cute"

Disadvantages

The cutest croc you'll ever see!

I took my daughter to see the new Tinkerbell movie (Tinkerbell & The Pirate Fairy) a month or two ago. She really enjoyed the movie and fell in love with a little crocodile character in it. The crocodile is just a baby and is VERY cute - he makes friends with the fairies and he actually turns out to be a young Tick Tock Crocodile from Peter Pan! Shortly after watching the movie I came across a Baby Croc Soft Toy in The Disney Store and knew my daughter would love it. The toy is a ''Disney Store Exclusive'' which means it cannot be bought anywhere else (there is an ''authentic, genuine, original Disney store'' patch sewn on to his belly to prove it!). I haven''t seen ANY Baby Croc toys being sold anywhere else so this is quite an original soft toy. Dooyoo have listed the Croc as ''small'' but it''s not very small at all. It''s actually quite a generous size and the perfect size for my daughter to get her arms round and cuddle up to! It''s really soft and smooth on the outside and is soft and squidgy inside (he also appears to have a squishy beanbag inside his tummy). He stands independently too. The Croc toy looks SO cute and just as he does in the movie - he''s green all over, has a long snout with tiny white teeth poking out and HUGE eyes. He also has an all over scaly effect which looks really good. My daughter adores him and regularly takes him to bed with her. Like all Disney Store soft toys, this toy is very good quality and seems very robust. I can imagine it will still be around in years to come. When a new Disney movie comes out in the cinemas/DVD the Disney Store tend to get a lot of merchandise in store for it. This sort of merchandise is very limited edition (in store for a few months and then gone forever), so if you want to get yourself a Baby Croc, make it QUICK! The Baby Croc Soft Toy costs 12 pounds which I think is pretty reasonable for a cute, cuddly, robust and authentic Disney toy.

29.05.2014 16:54

Advantages

• "Encourages kids to wash their hands more often!"
              • " smooth & cleansed"
              • "Leaves skin soft"
              • "Kills 99.9% bacteria"
              • "Scent transfers & lasts well"
              • "Unusual & gorgeous scent - just like Cola bottles!"

Disadvantages

Cola bottles without the calories!

I had been meaning to get around to trying the new Carex range of ''foody'' scented hand washes for a while. The time finally came a couple of months ago when I saw them on offer in Sainsbury''s! I stocked up with 3 different scented Carex hand washes - Cola Bottles, Chocolate Orange and Strawberry Laces. I haven''t yet tried the Chocolate Orange or Strawberry Laces but can say that I am thoroughly addicted to Cola Bottles! The hand wash comes in a 250ml transparent bottle and looks similar to the other Carex hand washes but with little cola bottles dotted over the front. It has a pump top and dispensing the hand wash is very easy and convenient. I wasn''t too convinced that the hand wash would smell like cola bottles but it really does. It''s an absolutely gorgeous scent that is very sweet and reminds me of my childhood! It doesn''t smell like Coca Cola (that doesn''t really have a smell) but smells very similar to the cheaper ''value'' colas and smells EXACTLY like cola bottle sweets. The bottle reads ''Family Favourite Fragrance'' which is completely true as everybody in my family loves the scent and I have noticed that my daughter hasn''t stopped washing her hands since I placed the Cola Bottles hand wash in the bathroom! I definitely think this is a great hand wash to encourage children to wash their hands more often. The bottle also states that the hand wash ''kills 99.9% of bacteria'' which is good to know (I don''t like hand washes that aren''t anti-bacterial). The hand wash recommends 2 pumps per wash but I generally find that 1 pump is enough for me. The hand wash lathers well and the smell is very apparent when using it. The scent also transfers well to the skin and appears to stay on my hands for up to thirty minutes. It is said to have ''added moisturisers'' and I must say I have experienced no problems with my skin whilst using this hand wash, my hands have always been left soft and smooth after use. Carex Cola Bottles Hand Wash normally costs around the 1.50 mark but can often be found on offer (I got mine for 80p) and is available at most supermarkets. I have been using my current bottle regularly for about a month and there is still quite a lot left, so it''s pretty good value for money too! I''m happy to recommend.

28.04.2014 17:52

Advantages

• "Free to visit and park"
              • "Nice place to spend the evenings"
              • "Good selection of shops and restaurants"

Disadvantages

• "You will spend a fortune!"
              • "Need to make reservations for restaurants"
              • "Very busy in the evenings "

Going Downtown

Downtown Disney can be found in the Walt Disney World Resort, Florida. It''s not a Disney park but is infact a strip of shops, restaurants and general entertainment set along Lake Buena Vista. Also unlike the parks, Downtown Disney is free for everybody to enter and there is a big carpark which is also free to use. If you are staying at one of the Disney hotels you can catch a free bus to and from Downtown Disney. I remember visiting Downtown Disney as a child and it was quite small (just a couple of shops and a lake!) but now it''s HUGE. To walk the whole length of Downtown Disney, without stopping, would take around 15-20 minutes but there are so many things to capture your attention along the way that it took us a very long time! You can also catch small boats from one side to the other, which is nice but we had to wait a while for our boat to arrive. Downtown Disney is a nice place to spend the evenings, however in my experience it also gets very busy in the evenings so be aware of that if you''re looking for a quiet evening. We also visited during the day and it was much more relaxed and quiet (although I think the atmosphere is better at night). There are a great selection of varied restaurants and paces to eat that are family/child-friendly but also suitable for adults. The only downside with the restaurants is that during our visit we found that we couldn''t get a table at any of the places that we wanted to eat at. You MUST reserve a table at Downtown Disney if visiting in the evenings. A lot of the restaurants accept the Disney Dining Plan. Places to eat include T-Rex Cafe (dinosaur themed restaurant with real moving dinosaurs), Bongo''s Cuban Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe (and Wolfgang Puck Express which does pretty decent but simple food, without the usual need to make a reservation), The Smokehouse, Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant, FoodQuest and Earl Of Sandwich. There''s a great selection of shops too. Disney decorate the inside and the outside of their shops so well that they''re a spectical in themselves! Most of the shops are Disney shops but some of them aren''t (such as the Fit2Run and Curl). Other shops include The Art Of Disney, Disney Design-a-Tee, Disney''s Days Of Christmas (an all year round Christmas shop), Disney''s Candy Cauldron, Mickey''s Pantry, Once Upon A Toy, Harley Davidson, World of Disney, Tren-D, The Spice & Tea Exchange, Sosa Family Cigars and The Lego Store (with a brilliant statue Toy Story lego statue outside). Entertainment includes Splitsville (bowling), AMC cinema, Cirque Du Soleil, House of Blues, Marketplace Corousel and much more! Watch out for the water squirters that come out of the ground at the entrance too. I definitely recommend a visit if visiting WDW, just be prepared to spend a fortune!

14.04.2014 15:22

Advantages

• Quiet/peaceful/intimate
                • "Mostly good enclosures/Lots of OPEN enclosures - no cages"
                • "Plenty of shade"
                • "Reasonably priced"
                • "Nice way to spend a few hours"

Disadvantages

• "Quite small"

A quiet little 'zoo' in the South of Portugal

We recently made our first visit to Lagos Zoo in the south of Portugal. Despite the name 'Lagos' the zoo isn't actually situated in Lagos (it's just outside) and it's best to reach it by car. There are a few 'zoo' signs leading up to it but the actual entrance itself is quite concealed and not very obvious (look out for the big stone gorilla statue!). It has a small car park at the front. The zoo is open all year round (10am - 5pm October to March and 10am - 7pm April to September). Ticket prices are 16 euros for adults, 14 euros for over 65's, 12 euros for children (4-11 years) and free for under 4's. I feel that the ticket prices are quite reasonable and the under 4 allowance seems quite generous. We visited mid-week during UK school holidays and thought that the zoo would be busy but it wasn't. In fact throughout our visit we barely bumped in to a soul, it felt as though we had the place to ourselves! It's has a very peaceful and serene atmosphere, much different to many of our zoo's back home. I was quite surprised at the size of the zoo, it was much smaller than I thought it would be and didn't have as many animals as I had expected (no 'big' animals or big cats). It's not really a place where you can spend all day, two or three hours was plenty for us. Lagos Zoo is quite intimate, it doesn't do any shows or put on any displays like most zoo's tend to do (this might be disappointing to some but I think it's a nicer environment for the animals). The whole place is covered in lush vegetation and plants. It's quite pretty and there are plenty of shady places to take shelter from the sun. It wasn't built-up and commercialised, there wasn't even a souvenir shop at the end... although I think they were in the midst of opening one during our visit! There were 2 lots of toilets, we visited one lot of toilets by the farmyard which were unfortunately pretty run-down (they even had birds flying around in there!). There is a restaurant which is situated near the entrance of the zoo but we didn't even see it. There is also a snack bar where we purchased some drinks which seemed sufficient enough. Outside the snack bar was a small play park. There is also another (and slightly bigger) play park at the other side of the zoo.

Each enclosure we came across had information about each animal (translated in to English too) which was quite useful and interesting. The first animals we came to were reindeer. Most reindeer that I've experienced in zoo's tend to look quite tatty but these reindeer looked very healthy. The next selection of animals were birds. Lagos Zoo is home to an impressive number of different birds including Parrots, Macaws, Cranes, Hornbills, Owls, Flamingos, Vultures and Kookaburras. Our favourites were the Parrots, Mccaws and Rhinoceros Hornbills. I don't particularly like seeing birds in cages but all of the enclosures seemed quite spacious and many of them quite enriched so it wasn't too bad. There are a number of different ponds which have tortoises, fish and swans in them. Ducks and other birds (such as peacocks) also wander around the zoo. You can purchase food from machines for 1 euro to feed the fish, birds etc. Lagos Zoo is home to quite a few primates. Primates included Gibbons, Lemurs, Chimps, Marmosets, Squirrel Monkeys and Tamarins. I really liked the majority of the primate enclosures as they weren't caged. The smaller primates were caged but all of the bigger primates had islands to themselves (surrounded by a moat or pond) which seems like such a stress-free environment for them. Visitors can still get a good view of the primates but without invading their space. The downside to these enclosures is that they seem VERY escapable! Our favourite primates to watch were probably the playful gibbons. There were only a couple of areas which I weren't keen on - the first was the farmyard where you can pet the animals. None of the animals were endangered and I felt it was quite pointless having farm animals there. None of the enclosures were particularly big, most of them were overcrowded (I counted about 20 guinea pigs in one enclosure) and a lot of the animals were hot and panting (the sheep weren't sheered and had thick coats). Another thing that I was really unimpressed with was that there were a number of tiny baby goats in with a number of big rams (I have no idea why) - the rams were chasing and ramming the goats who were really scared. We had to tell a member of staff (we checked later on and they had been separated). The second thing I wasn't keen on was the Linx. The zoo had a lone Linx which was pacing around and looking very stressed. Other animals to see include Mara, Capybara, Wallabies, Prairie Dogs, Ocelot, Bobcat, a (small) crocodile, Iguanas, Porcupines, Snakes and Meerkats (my daughters favourites). My personal highlight was the Lyle's Flying Fox enclosure which you can walk through. The Flying Fox's are a type of bat and there were LOADS hanging from the roof of the enclosure. They were so intriguing to watch and you can get really close to them. As I've already mentioned, most of the enclosures seemed quite spacious and enriched which was nice to see. I especially liked the open enclosures. All of the animals looked healthy and most of them seemed stress free. The Lagos Zoo website does mention conservation, although I'm not really too sure what conservation efforts they make. They do seem to care greatly for their animals though.

Overall Lagos Zoo was a few hours well spent and I'm glad we visited. I probably wouldn't visit again for a while but I'd be happy to recommend this quiet little 'zoo' to others.

• Pedigree Schmackos / Dog Food / 22 Readings / 20 Ratings
                  18.03.2014 13:32

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not bad dog treats.

Schmackos are dog treats made by Pedigree. These aren't something which I buy too often, only now and again. They always seem to come in the Pedigree Dog Stocking around Christmas time. My spoilt dog always gets at least a couple of Pedigree Dog Stockings so we always have Schmackos in the house during December/January.

They come in chicken or beef flavours (you can also buy mixed meat packs). My dogs stomach is more suited to poultry than red meat so we generally opt for the chicken Schmackos.

These treats are quite generously sized - quite long (about 4 inches long and an inch wide) but very thin. They are a brown colour and are quite smooth. I like smooth treats like this because they don't have crumbs and don't make a mess which make them ideal for sticking in my pocket when we go out for walks. They don't have much of a smell either.

Pedigree Schmackos come in a small 86g foil packet and contain 10 Schmackos (you can also buy 172g packets that contain 20 Schmackos). The packet has a resealable tab and seems sufficient at keeping the treats fresh. There isn't a size recommendation so these treats are apparently suitable for all dogs.

The Schmackos are surprisingly soft but quite chewy too. They are not hard treats and I imagine they would be suitable for all breeds, even those with sensitive or ageing teeth. You can break the Schmackos in to bits if you want to feed in smaller portions or want to make the treats last longer (or for smaller dog).

The ingredients of the chicken Schmackos include meat and animal derivatives (31% meat), derivatives of vegetable origin, minerals, cereals, various sugars, antioxidants, oils and fats. There isn't anything too worrying in this list, except for the unnecessary various sugars. They are said to contain added 'omega 3, vitamins and calcium' (maintaining healthy teeth, bones and natural defences) which is good to know. They're also quite high in protein (30%) and contain no artificial colours or flavours.

My dog seems to like Schmackos very much and will do anything to get his paws on one. I find they're very good for bribing... I mean TRAINING your dog. I usually feed my dog Schmackos whole (he's a large dog) as a reward or just as a treat. However if we're out on walks or I'm attempting to train him to do something specific then I usually tear them in to pieces (so 10 pieces instead of 10 whole Schmackos!). My dog is stupidly friendly but when out on walks he can be quite odd with other dogs, I believe that rewarding him with treats such as Schmackos for good behaviour has really made our walks much more successful and enjoyable in recent years. I'd say the only real downside for us is that the Schmackos are very thin and my dog eats them very quickly, he usually eats a whole Schmacko in just a few seconds! I'm sure they would last slightly longer with smaller and less greedy dogs...

Pedigree Schmackos are widely available at most supermarkets and pet stores. Packs of 10 cost around £1.00 per packet (or around £1.60 for packs of 20). Although one pound wont break the bank I still think they are a little on the pricey side considering you can buy a whole box of biscuits or large treats for the same price, plus my dog gets through them so quickly!

• Pedigree Cheesy Bites / Dog Food / 43 Readings / 41 Ratings
                  17.03.2014 00:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not really suitable for us.

Cheesy Bites are dog treats made by Pedigree. They are not something I regularly buy for my dog but they always seem to come in the Pedigree Dog Stocking around Christmas time. My spoilt dog always gets at least a couple of Pedigree Dog Stockings so we always have Cheesy Bites in the house during December/January.

They are very small treats and measure just a centimetre or two in diameter. They are oval shaped, quite flat and with a cream colour around the edges and a brown colour in the middle. They remind me a little bit of miniature steaks! They are perfectly smooth too. I like smooth treats like this because they don't have crumbs and don't make a mess which make them ideal for sticking in my pocket when we go out for walks. They're also very small too, so an ideal size for taking out and about (you can take loads!) and they don't have much of a smell either.

Pedigree Cheesy Bites come in a small 70g foil packet (the packet seems sufficient at keeping the treats fresh). There are lots of Cheesy Bites per pack and I assume that if you have a small dog these treats would last for quite some time (they don't seem to last us very long as I need to feed my dog a few at a time). There isn't a size recommendation so these treats are apparently suitable for all dogs.

The Cheesy Bites aren't crunchy, they're quite soft and you can break them in half (although that might be quite awkward because they're so small). They might be chewy for smaller dogs but they certainly aren't for my big dog whom can swallow a whole cheesy bite without it even touching the sides!

Ingredients include cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, various sugars, meat and animal derivatives (minimum 4% meat), vegetable protein extracts, fish Derivatives, milk Derivatives (minimum 4% Cheese), minerals, seeds, herbs, oils and fats. There isn't anything too worrying in this list, except 'various sugars' which seems a bit unnecessary. I'm also surprised that cheese and meat only make up 4% of the ingredients (8% combined), even though they're called cheesy bites and their big selling point is that they're 'deliciously different with a savoury cheese and meat flavour'! Each Cheesy Bite contains just 2 calories and they are said to contain added 'omega 3, vitamins and calcium' (maintaining healthy teeth, bones and natural defences) which is good to know.

My dog will happily eat these treats and seems to enjoy them, but then my dog likes ANY sort of food! They aren't really sufficient enough for big dogs and I always seem really mean when I reward him with Cheesy Bites because they're so small that they hardly register (as mentioned above, they go straight down without even touching the sides!). Treats are meant be to indulgent but they can't be indulgent if you don't even taste them! I think Pedigree should state on the packet that these treats are best suited to small-medium sized dogs. On the upside I can see that they are useful for training and also you are able to give your dog quite a few Cheesy Bites at any one time for good behaviour which can't always be the case with larger treats.

Pedigree Cheesy Bites are widely available at most supermarkets and pet stores. They cost around £1.00 per packet. Although one pound wont break the bank I still think they are a little on the pricey side considering you can buy a whole box of biscuits or large treats for the same price!

• Pedigree Jumbone / Dog Food / 34 Readings / 31 Ratings
                    16.03.2014 19:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

MAXI Jumbones - my dog loves them!

I have been feeding my dog Jumbones for years, they are his weekly treat.

Jumbones come in a number of different sizes so you can find one that is suitability sized for any dog. As I have a large dog I normally buy the 'Maxi' which is the largest Jumbone. They come in foil packets and some of the smaller sized Jumbones have more than one in a packet, but unfortunately Maxi Jumbones only come in packs of one (I sometimes buy him the size below, they are just as good but slightly smaller and you get two in a pack). They come in both beef and chicken (& rice) flavours. I don't think my dog is fussed either way but I usually opt for chicken as we have had bad experiences with beef products in the past (bottom explosions!).

The Jumbone looks quite strange and not like a bone at all! It is about 5 inches long and a few inches thick. It's certainly a generous size. The outside is like a chew (dark brown coloured) and the inside has a soft meaty centre (lighter brown coloured). It completely smooth and almost looks plastic! Jumbones also have a strange smell, I can't really describe it but you can only really smell it when you get close to it, I never find that I can smell it when my dog is chewing on it.

The packet states that the Jumbone contains added 'omega 3, calcium and vitamins' (maintaining healthy teeth, bones and natural defences) which is good to know. It's said to contain 2% fat which sounds quite good but on the back it also states that it provides 49% of a 35kg dogs daily energy requirements. Therefore you should only feed Maxi Jumbones weekly and main meals should be reduced accordingly. I usually just make my dogs breakfast and dinner portions slightly less than normal if I know he'll be having a Jumbone that day. As with all chews and bones, my dog usually needs a drink afterwards so I would recommend having a bowl of water available. Maxi Jumbones are not suitable for puppies or dogs weighing less than 20kg. The ingredients of the Chicken & Rice Jumbone include cereals (including rice), meat and animal derivatives, various sugars, vegetable protein extracts, seeds, minerals, vegetable origin derivatives, herbs, oils and fats. None of the ingredients worry me too much, except for 'various sugars' but I'd like to think it doesn't contain too many various sugars.

My dog finds Jumbones extremely delicious and really gets stuck in to them. He refuses to leave it alone until it's all gone. He has very strong jaws and most of his treats last a matter of seconds but it takes him about 5 minutes of relentless chewing to get through a whole Maxi Jumbone. I believe Jumbones are not only tasty but they're very good at cleaning teeth. The Jumbone is nothing like a real bone, although it's very tough, it's not rock hard. Like most dogs, my dog is obsessed with chewing but I can no longer give him rawhide bones (which he really enjoys chewing on) as they're very dangerous and he has choked on them before. Although Jumbones don't last as long as rawhide and real bones, I find they're the next best alternative. My dog normally makes a big mess whilst eating his Jumbone, they aren't crumbly but they do get all slimy and bits tend to fall off as my dog chews it. For this reason I do not allow Jumbones on my sofa or rug! It's not all bad though as my dog hoovers up the remains afterwards...

Jumbones are widely available at most supermarkets (which is handy as it means I can pick one up when doing my everyday shopping) and pet stores. Maxi Jumbones generally cost around the £1.50 mark. This might work out pricey if buying a few times a week but as a once a week treat I can't really complain.

My dog thinks Jumbones are very tasty and they keep him busy for a while, as well as giving his teeth a good clean and providing him with added health benefits. I'm happy to recommend to all dog owners.

• Pedigree Gravy Bones / Dog Food / 51 Readings / 51 Ratings
                    14.03.2014 15:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

Worthwhile dog treats.

Pedigree Gravy Bones are dog treats which I have been feeding my dog for years. They are crunchy biscuits with a meaty gravy coating.

The Gravy bones are brown coloured and very smooth. I would almost describe them as shiny! I like the fact they aren't crumbly or powdery as this allows me to put them in my pocket. They are shaped like little bones and smell quite meaty. The packaging states that the Gravy Bones contain 'vitamins, calcium and omega 3' and contain 'no artificial colours or flavours' (maintaining healthy teeth, bones and natural defences) which is good to know. I'm not a scientist so I can't dissect the Gravy Bones and confirm this but what I can confirm is that my dog has always got on well with them, we haven't experienced any bad side effects - no itchy outbursts or dodgy stomachs!

Ingredients include cereals, minerals, meat and animal derivatives, vegetable origin derivatives, oils and fats. The nutritional information is as follows: protein 11%, oil 7%, ash 16%, fibre 0.7%. I don't really know what this means (!) but I don't see anything particularly bad in the ingredients...

My dog absolutely loves these little treats and will do anything to get his paws on one. I find they're very good for bribing... I mean TRAINING your dog. My devil dog will turn in to perfect pooch if I hold a couple of Gravy Bones in my hand! I find them particularly useful for when we are out on walkies. My dog is stupidly friendly but when out on walks he can be quite odd with other dogs, I believe that rewarding him with treats such as gravy bones for good behaviour has really made our walks much more successful and enjoyable in recent years.

The Gravy Bones are about an inch to two inches long and I'd say they're quite generously sized for treats. My dog is quite happy to eat small treats but he eats them so fast that he almost inhales them! That really doesn't seem very indulgent and 'treat-like' to me. Don't get me wrong, Gravy Bones aren't HUGE but at least he gets a couple of crunches out of them and can actually taste them before they go down the hatch! The Gravy Bones can also be snapped in half if you want to make them smaller or want them to last longer.

I'd say these treats are suitable for all dogs, both big and small. My dog is very big and enjoys these treats and we used to have a small dog that also enjoyed these treats. The only difference is that my big dog could eat 3 Gravy Bones in the same time that it took for my small dog to eat 1! These treats are crunchy but certainly not hard and not particularly chewy. I imagine that they'd be suitable for all dogs, even those with sensitive or ageing teeth.

The Pedigree feeding guide recommends small dogs can have up to 6 Gravy Bones per day, medium dogs can have up to 12 Gravy Bones per day and large dogs can have up to 18 Gravy Bones per day. Whilst doing some research for this review I have read that some dogs have reportedly choked on Gravy Bones due to their outer smooth texture (which goes slippery when mixed with saliva). This is rather concerning so I may consider breaking them all in half from now on!

You can buy Pedigree Gravy Bones at all supermarkets (which is convenient for me as I can pick them up with my everyday shopping) and pet stores. They stand out on the shelf as they are packaged in bright yellow Pedigree packaging and have a picture of the actual product on the front. They come in large bags (1.5kg), small packets or standard sized boxes (400g). I would say the most common are the boxed Gravy Bones, which is what we buy. They normally cost around the £1.50 but I often find that they're on offer (usually for £1.00). I always make sure I pick up a box when they're on offer but in all honesty I think the full price is pretty reasonable considering there are LOADS of Gravy Bones per box - very good value for money. Our box of Gravy Bones can sometimes last up to a couple of weeks. The cardboard box is easy enough to retrieve the gravy bones from (I usually just tip a couple in to my hand) and seems to keep the Gravy Bones perfectly fresh.

My dog seems to find Pedigree Gravy Bones DELICIOUS and I think they're pretty neat too! I'm happy to recommend these convenient little treats to all dog owners.

13.03.2014 15:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

A family friendly polynesian restauarant.

We visited Walt Disney World in Florida last year. Whilst doing some 'pre-restaurant planning' I came across a breakfast dining experience called 'Ohana's Best Friends Breakfast featuring Lilo & Stitch'. It was a character breakfast and included Lilo & Stitch (from the Disney movie of the same name) - we had children with us and my daughter loves Lilo & Stitch so I booked it. You can pre-book visits to Disney restaurants months in advance (whether you are staying in a Disney hotel or not) and you can do it online. It's quick and easy to pre-book but you will be charged a percentage if you don't turn up.

Ohana's Best Friends Breakfast takes place inside a restaurant called 'Ohana' which can be found inside the Disney Polynesian Resort. It serves American/Polynesian cuisine and is a buffet/family style restaurant. The restaurant serves breakfast and dinner.

We arrived at the Polynesian Resort via monorail which runs around a number of deluxe Disney hotels and some of the Disney parks. The monorail is free for everybody to use and drops you off right outside (almost inside) the resort. As we were staying in a 'budget' hotel we had to get the Disney shuttle bus to the Magic Kingdom where we then got the monorail to the Polynesian Resort (it took just a couple of minutes). As we approached the Polynesian Resort we were met by a big beautiful wooden building surrounded by lush plants and trees, as well as fire torches! We were also greeted by friendly Disney staff - none of them will say 'Hello' to you but ALL of them will say 'Aloha' to you! The Polynesian theme is brilliant and very well done (I'd love to stay there one day!). We didn't really take a look around the hotel but you do have to pass through the reception area to get to the restaurant (if I recall correctly you need to go upstairs a floor or two).

There's was a desk at the front of the restaurant where they gave us a buzzer which buzzed when our table was ready, however our buzzer went off after about a minute which was brilliant! During that time we were all given pink flower garlands to wear around our necks and were asked to stand in front of a 'Ohana' backdrop for a photograph. The photographer came to our table half way through our breakfast to show us the photo. I wouldn't usually bother with these sort of things but it was very nice so we decided to buy it (plus we felt it was a nice reminder of a great Disney morning!). It cost a rather pricey $30 (which we paid for at the table and picked the photograph up after our meal just outside the restaurant) which included a large photograph with themed mount and a couple of smaller copies. You get to keep the garlands, which the kids loved and made good souvenirs (as well as making our meal seem a little more polynesian!).

We were seated at a huge round wooden table with big comfy chairs. The restaurant is very large. We didn't have a window seat so I couldn't tell you about the view! It was very busy inside, I didn't see one empty table. You definitely need to pre-book breakfast at Ohana or you're very unlikely to get a table. As we were seated the children were all given maracas which unsurprisingly they were thrilled with (not so thrilled when they had to give them back at the end!). The theme and atmosphere was great and very relaxing. The whole restaurant looked as though it was made from wood and our part of the restaurant had lots of plants and totem poles/tikis.

The Ohana Best Friends Breakfast is a buffet but not a buffet that you walk up to. Instead the food gets brought to you. There is no menu, so we were simply brought food and drink as soon as we sat down! The service was incredibly fast and very friendly (all of the staff acted very 'Disney' and all got in to the Ohana spirit). There was a large variety of drinks (teas, coffees, juices , soft drinks etc). We were given jugs of juice to help ourselves and the staff were constantly walking around offering hot drinks. Trays of fresh fruit (including apple, raspberries, pineapple, mango and fruit dip) and breakfast breads (sweet and absolutely delicious) were put on our table. At the same time we were served hot and savoury options which came in a huge pan. Inside the pan was a giant pile of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, Mickey Mouse shaped waffles and fried potatoes. You're welcome to ask for more (we asked for more scrambled eggs, breads and juice) but the staff do a good job of making sure you're topped up! The one and only thing I wasn't too keen on is that they served the meat among the other food which is quite disturbing from a vegetarians point of view!

Characters included Mickey Mouse, Pluto, Lilo and Stitch. They come around all the tables so there is no mad rush to meet them and everybody gets a turn (plus it's more personal and you get more time with them this way). They were all happy to take photos and sign autographs, the kids were very excited and particularly enjoyed Stitch who was acting very silly! Every now and again (maybe every half hour) there is music that comes on and all the kids are encouraged to get up with the characters (with their maracas) and dance around. Our kids absolutely LOVED this.

Breakfast is served daily between 7.30am and 11am and prices are ROUGHLY $22.00 - $26.00 per adult (depending on the time of year) and $12.00 - $15.00 per child 3-9 years (under 3's are free). I think this is pretty good value for money, especially if you make the most of the food! Ohana also accept the Disney Dining Plan, which is how we paid. The Disney Dining Plan are meal cards that are purchased pre-holiday (they save more money than paying on the day). They entitle you to a number of meals, snacks and drinks per day at certain Disney establishments. The breakfast counted as a 'table service credit' and we didn't have to hand over any cash for our meal at the end, however you are still expected to leave a tip.

This is a lovely place to have a special breakfast and was probably one of my most favourite breakfasts whilst visiting Walt Disney World. I felt that the food was not only delicious but there was a good variety (of sweet and savoury) for everybody to enjoy. We ate until we were stuffed! The theme and atmosphere were brilliant and the inclusion of characters made my daughters day! The service was extremely fast, efficient and very friendly. If you are making a trip to Walt Disney World, I would definitely recommend the Ohana's Best Friends Breakfast, you wont be disappointed.