kathboo

kathboo
  • Comments

Member since: 25.05.2011

17.07.2014 13:21

Advantages

• "Smells gorgeous!"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Simply THE most gorgeus smell!

I am not a huge perfume fan at all. I know many people who can''''t leave the house without it, but I''''m certainly not one of them. In fact, the aroma of perfume tends to make me a bit nauseous – I prefer the smell of aftershave! I never imagined I would find an eau de toilette that I genuinely loved, but Jo Malone has proved me wrong.

It was a visit to the shop for a friend''''s birthday treat that first introduced me to the products. The shop smells simply divine. I had a sniff of most of their fragrances, but it''''s the lime, basil and mandarin one that I adored the most. The fragrance smells light and fresh, with a slight citrus undertone. It smells like you''''ve just got out of the shower and used the most amazing smelling products possible.

Despite the fragrance smelling so light, it is also long-lasting. I could still smell it on myself up to 6 hours after spraying it, yet it is not heavy in the slightest. It ensures that that fresh ''''just got out of the shower smell lasts for much of the day.

It''''s packaged in a clear glass bottle with a Jo Malone label on it. There''''s nothing fancy about the bottle; it''''s simple and classy. This is all about what''''s on the inside. I must say though, I was mightily impressed with the Jo Malone packaging that it is sold in – they rally do go to town on making the outside of the box beautiful with ribbons etc!

The one thing that almost stopped me purchasing this was the price tag. For 75ml it cost a whopping £78. Compared to the average perfume price of around £20 this is a small fortune. However, maybe due to the fact I don''''t usually buy perfume, or perhaps because I had a glass of wine before I went in the shop, I decided to treat myself. This was last November, and I still have over half a bottle left. I use a few sprays approx. every other day so I do think it has been brilliant value, and I won''''t hesitate in buying another bottle when this one''''s run out.

Jo Malone also sell a wide range of products in this amazing scent, including body cream, soap, shower gel and candles. I''''m tempted to get them all, when funds allow!

18.03.2014 13:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

Something for everyone

My parents live in Lanzarote, so I have a fantastic excuse to jump on a plane whenever the mood takes me, and when funds allow, of course. Without bias, it is my favourite of the 4 Canary Islands.
      On approaching the airport, it is immediately endearing. From a distance the island appears as a vast expense of barren peaks, and is truly a volcanic island. The runway is situated right next to the Atlantic Ocean, so it really does feel like you are about to land in the sea. The landscape is reminiscent of what you would expect the moon to be like. It is so barren, and filled with desert like peaks and troughs. The absence of any greenery or flowers means that the island could never be described as traditionally pretty, but it really is interesting, and unlike any other destinations I have visited. To say it lies in such close proximity to its sister islands of Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Fuerteventura, it is worlds apart from them. By law, building cannot exceed 2 storeys high, so many villas and houses tend to have a level underground in order to utilise space, as planning permission is not required for this. Buildings are also required to be white washed. Combined, this gives such a neat and tidy feel to the island. It is such an antithesis to its built up neighbours.

Resorts

The main tourist resorts on the island are Puerto Del Carmen, Costa Teguise and Playa Blanca, in order of popularity. Puerto Del Carmen is the busiest and most commercialised of the resorts. This is the only area on the island that I would recommend for nightlife. There is a fabulous, long sandy beach here, many hotels and apartments, and loads of beach bars, shops, restaurants and general services. The other resorts are quieter and more popular with families and couples. Beaches in all resorts are fabulous.
      To see how the other half live, visit the resort of Puerto Calero. This is a manmade harbour, harbouring very posh boats and yachts, next to a promenade lined with designer shops such as Gucci and Versace. This small but perfectly formed resort is backed by large and beautiful golf course, with a handful of exclusive private villas.

Things to do

There is plenty to do on the island for all. From simply shopping, eating and drinking, to walking round many extinct volcanoes, to taking an organised excursion to the extinct volcano of Fire Mountain or going on a camel ride; there is plenty to do if you want it.

Prices

If you are flexible with dates, it is easy to pick up a bargain to Lanzarote. Prices on the island are very similar to the UK, though you may be able to pick up bargains on larger items such as jewellery which are normally cheaper out there than here.
      In summary, I would recommend this island to anyone after some sunshine in a very interesting environment. Personally, I prefer the resort of Playa Blance as it's less commercialised than the others but it depends what you're after.
      A lovely warm destination at any time of the year

18.03.2014 12:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

glorious

As a Yorkshire lass born and bred, and an ex-travel agent, I am pleased to say that I have had the pleasure of visiting a number of destinations, and have always taken an interest in anything to do with the tourist industry. For this reason, it's quite embarrassing to admit that 6 months ago was my first visit to the seaside town of Whitby. Lying on the East coast of Yorkshire, Whitby is located just a 1.5 hour drive away from my home in West Yorkshire. This may have been my first visit to the resort, but I can say with confidence that it will not be my last.

Expectations

I wasn't expecting any sort of holiday this year with money, or shortage of it, being the main reason. However, as a single mother of 2 children, guilt begins to set in when their friends are constantly going on short breaks, and your own children are staring at the same 4 walls every day. So, when a friend of mine suggested a weekend in Whitby on a shoestring, I decided to go.
        To be quite honest I was expecting a typical British seaside resort such as Blackpool, or Scarborough; very commercialised, lots of tourist shops selling buckets and spades lining the pier, and the constant sound of 2 pence pieces dropping from the many amusement arcades - all to the backdrop of that familiar fried food smell. How pleasantly surprised I was.

The resort

After a stunning drive upon long, winding and deserted countryside roads we arrived in Whitby. I was initially struck by the peace and quiet of the resort. There were not hordes of tourists parading up and down eating chips from a paper pyramid; there was several people enjoying a leisurely stroll along the large, clean beach, and a stroll across the road and into the main town revealed why it seemed so quiet; there are so many places to go.
        Whitby is quite a well-spread resort, consisting of lovely, narrow, cobbled streets, lined with equally lovely, quaint shops selling all sorts of unusual and interesting items. There are also upmarket stores selling many designer names such as Kath Kidston, a few of the main stores such as Boots etc can be found further into the centre, and a few gothic orientated shops also make interesting browsing.
        There is a river running through the centre of Whitby with a pretty bridge providing access across it to the other part of town, with more quaint shops, inviting pubs, and charming, traditional cafes.
        The whole resort is so clean and tidy. It is very hilly, so do be aware of this if you are elderly or have walking difficulties; the hills only add to the charm. Spectacular view can be found at the top of them all, and it's lovely to find a quaint little cafe nestling at the top. We were sat outside at one of them enjoying a coffee, admiring the view, and watching a young lady walking up the cobbled street with a donkey in tow! It really does feel like a small white-washed Greek village!
        To say Whitby is a reasonably well-known and heard of resort, I was shocked at exactly how undiscovered it seemed.

Things to do

There is plenty for everyone here; whether you want an active or relaxed holiday, whether you are part of a couple, a family, or alone. Theee are plentiful shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants. There is the famous abbey which is reached by climbing 250 steps. Unfortunately, I can't accurately describe what awaits at the top of the stairs as I have a bad leg so I didn't climb them, but it is certainly a major attraction. Very handily, the base of the steps lie right at the front door to a very nice pub, so food and refreshments can be enjoyed pre-walk-and post walk! Alongside the attractive beach is also a traditional lighthouse, where you can climb the steps and enjoy the beautiful view from the top.
        A gothic festival is held in Whitby every year so there is quite a subtle gothic influence, hence the interesting gothic shops.
        If you or the kids do fancy a quick flutter, there are a couple of amusement arcades to be found of a decent size, but nothing that would ever make the place feel commercialised. There is also a famous fish and chip shop called The Magpie which is said to serve the best fish and chips in the country. Considering the constant queue that snaked out of the door, I think this is true.

Completely Charming

No word of a lie, everything about this quaint resort is utterly charming. It feels as if you're taking a step back in time. The people are so friendly, and seem to have been by-passed by a lot of technology; the majority of which do not own a mobile phone. They seem content with a slower-paced relaxed way of life which is contagious-it helps for a relaxing break. Whitby is a popular destination for people to retire to, or strive to run a gust house or small b&b, and I can see why.
        If you have never been, and are considering Whitby for a break, I can fully recommend this picture-postcard seaside village.

18.03.2014 12:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great, but don't go o a budget

After much ultimately successful nagging from my 6 year old son, last summer I decided to treat him, and his 8 year old sister, to a day out in Legoland, Windsor. It is a good few hours drive to get to the area from where I live, so I combined the day with a 2 night hotel stay in nearby Reading.
          I found Legoland well sign-posted, and therefore found it without much of a problem; much to the contrary of some men's stereotypical image of a woman driver not being able to find her way anywhere without the aid of a sat-nav! On coasting steadily up the long driveway, me and my children were immediately impressed by the lego sculptures bordering the entrance, set amidst well-tended and neat grassed areas. This gave an instant impression of a high quality place that concerned itself with the smallest of details. On entering the park we were not disappointed.

In the park

Prior to our visit, I knew very little of Legoland, other than the fact that there may possibly be lots of lego there (yes, very perceptive of me!). The park is absolutely huge, and is divided into many different areas. Each area is clearly signposted, everywhere connected by neat lanes and paths. The park is filled with lego sculptures - not just good models, but huge, amazing sculptures with miraculous attention to details; dragons, people, buildings, vehicles, mini-cities, even a replica of the crown jewels! I was astounded that these sculptures were made from simple Lego, it truly is an art form!
          In addition to these magnificent sights, as impressive to the adults as to the children, there are an array of fantastic rides in each area. Admittedly, for the true thrill-seeker these rides may appear a little tame, but for us they were absolutely ideal. There was a wide range of rides including a water rides, flying rides, roller coasters, and smaller rides particularly suitable for the under 5's. As with most theme parks, there was always a queue to go on these rides, but an estimated waiting time is shown at the beginning of the queue so it is possible to make a decision as to whether you wish to wait, or come back a little later. In keeping with the rest of the park, all the rides seem to be run to high quality. I'm not the world's greatest lover of rides, always convincing myself that something terrible could happen; here I felt confident of safety.
          Dotted in and amongst all the attractions are also several rather good play areas for younger children, featuring excellent climbing equipment, slides, swings, tunnels etc. The only drawback I found with a couple of these was that they were very large, with an equally large entrance/exit. This can make it very difficult to keep an eye on your children, and certainly resulted in a couple of panicky moments from me when I thought I'd lost the kids! There are also a couple of restaurant/diner establishments, a very tempting pick 'n' mix shop, and an equally tempting shop selling toys (mainly Lego) strategically placed near the exit.
          The one huge problem I had with the whole place was the price of everything. I don't mind paying a little more for quality, which it was, but the prices to enter, and also within Legoland are bordering on ridiculous. The price for a day ticket alone is about £41 per adult and £31 per child. There is ample parking available, but this is also payable, I think it cost me about £8 on top of the entry price. Food and drink are pretty much an essential here too, since it's likely you will be spending the majority of the day at the park. For 3 simple lunches, a bottle of water and 2 orange juices it cost me about £25. I was astounded! Incidentally, we were then plagued by wasps outside whilst eating; not the fault of the park, but it's certainly annoying when you've paid a small fortune to eat.

There are ways to get your tickets cheaper, mainly if you are planning the trip in advance. There was a 2 for 1 promotion on not so long ago, then there was another one when kids go for free. Sometimes, companies such as Superbreak do overnight package offers, well worth considering if you need to travel and stay overnight nearby. If you can manage to get a reduced rate it really is worthwhile.
          Overall, myself and my children were impressed with Legoland. I would recommend it to anyone, and would definitely go back if I had plenty of spare cash or came across a really good deal. The price didn't lessen my enjoyment of the day as I was in that holiday state of mind, and I am delighted we have had the pleasure of experiencing this great day out.

• Neff H5430 / Microwave / 23 Readings / 22 Ratings
          05.03.2014 15:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very good microwave

Many of my larger kitchen appliances are from the Neff range, and they are a high quality brand - their microwave being no different. I have the 1000w variety without a grill. To be hhonest I don't feel the need for a grill on my microwave as I have one in my oven, so I would use that anyway to grill, plus it's larger than one in a microwave would be.

My Neff microwave is built in to the kitchen units which looks nice and smart anyway, but the microwvae is shiny stainless steel with a black windown, and would be a very attractive freestanding appliance too. The spinning glass plate inside the oven can easily be removed for cleaning and replaced, and the rest of the machine is quite easily wiped clean. Prevention is the best cure for those horrible spashes and stains that appear on the top surface of the microwave, and its just as awful with this one than any others! I should listen to my own advice as I never cover things during heating and always end up with a messy topo!

The maximum setting on this machine is 1000w, and there are also options for cooking at 600w and 800w, and also the abilty to defrost at 95w and 150w. For the more accurate cookier, there is also an option to input the weight of an item and set the time accordingly, though I must admit I have never used this option. The timer is set by a turning dial and displays the length of time you have chosen digitally on the display. This is very accurate and can be adjusted by the second, both before and during cooking. When the time is up the microwave makes a constant beep noise until the door is open. This can be a little annoying if yo are juggling other things and cannot open the door immediately!

The instruction manual that came with the microwave was extremely good. It gives full details of how to use the microwave, and also recipe ideas which is great. I'm not sure how much the oven cost to be honest, I know Neff appliances can be pricey, but I have had it since it was fitted in 2004 and it has worked perfectly ever since, so I dare to say it was very good value.

05.03.2014 15:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Highly recommended

My intention was to get a replacement ironing board cover for my Brabantia ironing board that wouldn't cost a fortune like the original ones do. Not only did I achieve this, but I also managed to stumble across a cover that cut my ironing time in half. I never thought I'd be so impressed by an ironing board cover, but the JML one is brilliant.

INITIAL IMPRESSION

I almost convinced myself not to buy a JML product after many disappointing purchases of them in the past. However, for the price of £5.99 from my local supermarket and a recommendation from a fellow shopper, I gave it a go. There were plenty of different designs to choose from including spots, stripes, floral and funky colours, so if the appearance of the ironing board cover is a major factor to anyone then it won't be a problem.
          My main concern was that my board is slightly smaller than average so was hopeful it would fit. Luckily, the cover has elastic all round the outside so it could simply be pulled into place. The cover was initially a bit creased and puffed up in places but by running a hot iron over it for a couple of minutes this is soon remedied.

THE RESULTS

The cover has a non-slip surface which means that even delicate items such as silk, or larger items prone to slipping off the board, stay in position, saving a lot of messing about. The best thing I found, however, is what JML claim to be the reflective layer. The packaging claims that a layer of fabric within the cover reflects heat, which means the other side of the garment to where the iron is will also be ironed. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that this worked very well, and garments did not need turning over to do the other side. This not only cut down my ironing time but also helped save overuse of a poorly arm that I have.

TO SUMMARISE

This is a great product at a great price. It's machine washable, it fits any ironing board and it looks good - it has improved JML's reputation in my eyes.

• Butchers Tripe / Dog Food / 15 Readings / 11 Ratings
          04.03.2014 12:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

Dogs seem to love it

Butchers Tripe dog food really has to be my dog's favourite food. She will eat absolutely anything but when the tripe mix comes out, her tail wags even more furiously than ever! She can smell the over-powering, pungent smell a mile away. While the smell is probably rather attractive to a dog, to a human I personally think it is vile. The repulsive smell of tripe is the only reason I have given it 4 stars rather than 5. It is not the fault of the dog food, but bear in mind, if you store it in the fridge after opening, ensure that it is well sealed otherwise you will be greeted by that pungent aroma everytime you open the fridge door - it is sure to put you off whatever it is you went in for - it could be a good dieting tool!

As I mentioned, my dog loves it. I put a little in her dry complete dog food as a little tasty extra so it does last a long time. Because of its strong smell I imagine it also has quite a strong taste so for that reason also, I believe a small amount is all that is necessary for an extra taste to their meal.
          Butchers Tripe comes in small and large tins - the large ones are often on a 50% extra free offer, so if you can manage to get this offer you usually pay about £1 for a large tin which I think is very good value indeed.

It comes in various flavours including just the standard tripe mix but also tripe with certain vegetables. All seem equally tasty, and equally smelly!
          All in all a highly recommended dog food.

04.03.2014 12:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great cat food

Vitacat is a complete 'wet' cat food. It has the bonus of containing added vitamins and mineral so the issue of your cat consuming enough goodness need not be a problem.

My cat can sometimes be a fussy eater so I have tried many different cat foods including all the major brands which, althoguh they do get eaten, the enthusiasm with which they are eaten varies! The most important factor , of course, is that the food is enjoyed, and Vitacat certainly is.

It comes in either a meat or fish selection, each containing 2 different flavours; 6 of each flavour, giving 12 poches in total. The deciding factor in trying this cat food was the brilliant cost - it was £1.99 for a pack of 12 from Aldi whereas other major brands cost about £3.29 for the same amount. The pouches themselves are just plain - no writing or pictures which is possibly how they have managed to produce them so cheaply. This is no problem at all, and my cat doesn't mind at all!

The fact that the food is in the form of small chunks contained a jelly means that it is much cleaner on the fingers - no bits of gravy dribbling out on to your hand when pouring out the contants or ripping it open. The food simply falls easily into the cat's dish and requires the very minimal of breaking up with a fork, unlike cat food from a tin. I genuinely thought I was going to have to revert back to tinned food as it would work out cheaper, despite the convenience of a pouch. However, this was before my discovery of Vitacat - I'm sticking to this, until my cat tells me otherwise!

04.03.2014 12:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

lovely!

On the occasions that I don't use my usual 2in1 brand, I will use a washing powder plus Comfort fabric conditioner in my washing machine- always the blue skies variety. I would never even consider a different fabric conditioner as there is absolutely no need to.

To start with, the smell is absolutely divine. The bright yellow liquid gives the impression that it will have a bright, fresh scent to match, and it certainly does. The smell really does have that lovely, crisp feel to it, like a beautiful spring morning - 'Blue Skies' really is an apt name for it. As little as half to one capful added to your washing machine drawer is ample to give even a full load of washing this beautiful scent that lasts a good 24 hours.

Importantly, it also works. The Comfort brand has been in circulation for a long time and is well known and well trusted. The white and blue varieties were always the originals, but it seems whatever the colour/fragrance, they all work wonders. Clothes come out of the wash lovely and soft and remain so even after drying on the washing line in the sun. Often this form of drying can turn clothes quite stiff and cardboard-like but the use of Comfort seems to stop this from happening.

It also appears to be delicate on skin. My son has suffered with eczema in the past and can have quite sensitive skin but I am pleased to say that this product has never irritated his skin in the slightest.
          At a full cost of approximately £2 for 1.5l (approx 42 washes) it is reasonably priced as a little does go a long way. It is often on some kind of special offer so it's worth stocking up when the offer is on.

A highly recommended addition to your laundry!

04.03.2014 11:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not worth it

I am a bit fussy with smells, I think a nice fresh smell in a house acts as a big indication of hygiene and cleanliness. Now, as lovely as cats are, and as clean as they are, the smell of their litter and the things that go in it are, let's face it, quite an assault on the nose! And with the litter tray being a constant presence - at least when the cat is young - its aroma lingers throughout the day and gr adually drifts throughout the entire house. On discovering Bob Martin's litter tray freshener I thought this would be the answer to everything. The container holds the fragranced powder and it is sprinkled out of two holes that can be exposed at the top - similar to how Shake 'n' Vac works, if you've ever used that. The principle behind it is that the product is sprinkled onto the top of the litter after each cleaning, and this is supposed to ensure 24 hours of freshness. I beg to differ.

On lifting the top and smelling the fragrance I admit it's a very nice, clean smell. Even for the first few minutes after sprinkling I was very pleased with this product. However, much to my disappointment i found that after not even 10 minutes I could no longer smell the fragrance. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, I decided that perhaps it works as more of an odour neutraliser than a fragrance, but as soon as my cat went for a wee that familiar whiff arrived back to greet me. Add to this the fact that as soon as the cat goes in there and starts to scratch and dig, much of the top surface of the litter - where the powder is - is disgarded on to the surrounding floor!

I think the product is a really good idea in theory, and if you don't obkect to using quite a large amount of the product, very frequently, you may be impressed with it. For this reason, at approximately £1.50, I didn't think it was good value. Had it worked as I was hoping for I would have probably happily payed more.

Personally, I won't be purchasing this again - I have found a standard spray/plug-in air freshener more effective, and even though they cost a little more they are better value.
          re house.

03.03.2014 15:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

Leaves your mouth feeling clean and fresh

There are so many products for sale which claim to keep your teeth and gums healthy it is difficult to know which to pick. I have personally used only the Colgate brand for many years now, but have only ever brushed. As I keep being told by my hygienist, it is important to floss regularly too, but for some reason this is something I never get round to doing. The advantage to flossing is that it ensures that there is a minimal build up of plaque in areas that are hard to reach with a brush alone. Mouthwash, it appears also does this job, and is simple, tidy and non-time consuming. It also gives you a nice fresh breath and a lovely refreshed feeling within your mouth.
          I must admit to not frequently having used mouthwash before until I saw Colgate Plax on special offer at the supermarket. It was reduced to £1 as opposed to its usual £2.79 so, with my children's not so gentle persuasion, I decided to give it a try.

The array of colours/varieties available was vast: red, green, blue, pink, white - all symbolising a different flavour such as cool mint or soft mint, or a different function such as whitening or 24hr freshness. I originally decided to buy the green, 'soft mint' variety as I expected it to have a gentle taste, rather than leaving you feel like you can breathe fire! I have since tried the blue 'cool mint' variety which is also lovely, and very refreshing. This one was bought at full price so you can see how impressed I was with the first one.
          The taste did live up to its name. It could easily be swilled around the mouth for the required 30 seconds without feeling the need to gasp for breath - it felt very gentle and left my mouth feeling lovely and clean. The top of the bottle can be used as a measurer and cup to pour into so no other utensil is needed, which is even easier, and can simply be stored in the bathroom next to the toothbrushes so that it becomes part of the bedtime routine.

Colgate is also one of the only mouthwashes I have found that is suitable for children over 6 years of age. My kids think it's absolutely fantastic for some reason. After brushing they spend 30 seconds trying not to laugh when it's in their mouth, and then gargle with it. They actually look forward to using it - maybe it's due to novelty as we are only on our second bottle, but anything that encourages children to look after their teeth is fantastic.

A recommended buy for adults and children over 6.

03.03.2014 15:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

It dulls pain to a bearable state

I like to think I have quite a high pain threshold. On the occasions I am suffering from a headache or similar I will often just drink lots of water and have an early night - I'm not against taking pain relievers, I just try to manage without them. However, a few months ago I damaged my coccyx, and I have never experienced pain like it! After a trip to a & e it was confirmed that I had a fracture to it, but there is no cure available to help heal the injury - it's just a case of putting up with the pain until it eases.

Normal paracetomol seemed ineffective, so I visited my local Boots to find out what the strongest painkiller they could give me was, without prescription. They recommended their paracetamol & codeine, which I started taking immediately.

The box gives clear instructions as to how and when to take the medicine, and comes with the usual warning of possible side effects (I didn't experience any), and ingredients. I took them at the exact intervals recommended on the packaging. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how effective they were as I was still experiencing a great deal of pain - but that unbearable edge had been taken away so the obviously worked in some way. There is a warning on the box to not take the medicine for more than 3 consecutive days as codeine can lead to addiction. I don't recommended going against medical instructions but I personally took these for approximately 9 days and suffered no consequences at all when i stopped. I think the knowledge alone helps too - to know that you are taking a strong medicine probably helps psychologically a little too!

The tablets cost me about £4 for a pack of 16. It sounds rather expensive, but to be honest I didn't mind if it meant the pain would subside a little. They were small-average sized pills with a neutral taste, and slipped down easily with water.

If you are wanting something stronger than the average paracetamol to remove that acuteness away from pain then this is a good idea to help relieve you for a few days

03.03.2014 15:24

Advantages

Disadvantages

Dulux' usual good quality

I have been going through a bit of a DIY phase lately, painting every room in the house - it's amazing how a fresh coat of paint or a change in colour can really give a room a new feel. Perhaps I should be more adventurous, but Dulux is the only brand of pain I use. I once tried B&Q's own brand of paint for my kid's bedroom which was okay, but I went straight back to my Dulux for further projects.

For a start they have a vast array of colours to choose from, even many variants of white which are absolutely ideal for just that slightest hint of a colour. If you have a colour in mind it is highly likely that Dulux have a paint that matches the colour, and if not many DIY stores will mix the paint to develop the exact shade you are wanting. However, personally I have always found the exact shade in my mind from the wide range

Their standard emulsion paint is available in matt or silk, these are exactly the same shade, the silk one simply has a bit more of a sheen to its finish. They tend to take a couple of hours to be dry to the touch so make sure you leave it long enough to dry before either adding another coat or avaluating if another coat is required. Also, wet paint can look different in colour to dry paint, so in my opinion it is well worth buying a couple of testers of the shade you are interested in and seeing if it's definitely exactly what you want when it has dried. Another good reason for the testers is that colours can look different to the shade displayed on the tin or in a brochure, and can also differ in appearance depending on the colour of the surface they are being painted on to.

The tin does recommend 2 coats, though this is not always necessary, particularly if you are covering a lighter colour with a darker one. However, darker colours/patterns definitely do require 2 coats. I must admit I am lazy and always stop after 1 - I get away with it looking okay, but 2 would be far better, and give a higher quality finish.

Once dried I find that the walls always feel smooth, regardless of whether matt or silk has been used. In contrast I have found another brand to feel a bit rough afterwards. As for the smell, of course it has the regular paint wwhiff with it which lingers for a couple of days, but if the room is kept well ventilated this is not a problem.

Cost wise, there are 2 main sizes - an average, standard paint pot size which costs about £16 and a large tub which costs about £25. I would say this is about the typical price for paint with most brands.
          The consistency I have found to be good - nice and smooth without being too runny. The only problem I have encountered, just now and again, is that I have come across large limps wihin the paint that I haven't been able to break down by stirring - I have had to fish them out and remove them which was rather wasteful.
          Other than that though I am p[leased with Dulux and plan on sticking to this brand for ay future projects

19.02.2014 13:27

Advantages

Disadvantages

An easy way to keep track of your bllod pressure

I like to take my blood pressure every so often. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a medical condition or a blood pressure problem, I think I'm just nosy! I originally bought it when I was exercising heavily and found the results interesting. I also like to strap it on the arm of visiting friends and family - an unusual welcome, but I must say everyone is always interested!

I have had this blood pressure monitor for about 2 years now and have never had a problem with it. It has always worked perfectly, and I've never even had to change the batteries! The value therefore has been excellent. It cost about £50 new, has never caused me any extra expense, and myself and family also live in the knowledge that our blood pressure is fine. It's also nice to know that if anyone ever has a suspected problem in my household, we can test their blood pressure level without having to bother a doctor or nurse.

The monitor works in exactly the same way as the ones at a doctor's surgery. The black Velcro wraps around the top of the arm and attaches with Velcro. The start button is then pressed on the monitor and the Velcro begins to tighten. When it has finished, the band loosens automatically, and the computerised unit gives systolic and diagnostic blood pressure readings, as well as your heartbeat speed.

The reading can seem a little confusing at first glance. Luckily, the monitor comes with an information booklet that details what the readings mean, the difference between the two, and a chart showing how to tell if your reading is low, normal or high. It also comes with a blank chart where readings can be recorded, and a log kept of your blood pressure.

A recommended item, whatever the reason for purchase

• Argos / Highstreet Shopping / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
          19.02.2014 13:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

A simple, enjoyable shop

I have always been a fan of Argos. I remember going there as a child and seeing all these mysterious boxes appearing on the belt, waiting to be claimed. It always felt like you were receiving a gift - in fact it still does a little! Despite selecting and paying for an item, when it appears I'm embarrassed to say I still get a little excitement bubbling up as my new present arrives!
          I find the whole process of shopping at Argos so much easier. The product you are wanting can be selected and researched via their catalogue or website without even leaving the comfort of your own home. Before making your decision there is access via the internet to reviews of the item you are interested in written by previos purchasers, which is always helpful. There is also the very helpful facility of being able to check if what yo are wanting is actually in stock at the branch you are going to buy it from. This is great as it saves any un-necessary trips to the branch. The option to reserve an item also exists, to ensure that it is not sold out before arrivinmg at the store.

Items can be purchased in the store, reserved on-line or ordered to arrive via a delivery service for a small charge of about £3. Obviously, this is certainly more useful for larger and heavier items but, as long as items are in stock at the warehouse, this service can be used for any goods - very helpful for people who are not mobile or are restricted to their home.
          I have been impressed with the staff at my local branch. They always seem friendly and genuinely happy to be there! On a couple of occasions I have bought rather heavy items such as a flat-pack desk and bookshelf. Having been alone I would have struggled to transfer the items to my car, but the staff immediately offered to carry them out to the car for me and even helped me to put them into my car. Perhaps they were glad of the short break from their daily grind to grab a few breaths of fresh air - regardless of the reasons why, I was pleased with their enthusiasm - I could have just done with them at the other end too!

I have never had a problem, but I know a few people who have been disappointed that either a part of their purchase is missing or doesn't work correctly. This then gives the added hassle of travelling back to the store, which kind of cancels out the original reason for shopping there. However, from ehat I can gather, this happens only rarely.
          They have a huge variety of household, pet, jewellery, garden, personal and seasonal products available, they do some fantastic promotional offers, and they also do their own 'value' range which is cheaper than the traditional brands.

If you want a hectic shopping experience, and actually enjoy the hustle and bustle of rummaging around shops in search of your perfect buy, as many people do, then Argos is not the place to do it. If you want to buy your items with ease and know exactly what you are purchasing before-hand, then Argos is ideal

1 2 3 4 5 6 7