kayleighmcharris

Member since: 10.07.2012

User that trust you
      27.03.2013 15:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

Okay, but if you have long hair dont expect great results

I've never really been any good at all things related to style a beauty, but I do try when I can. I was left the impression by friends that curling wands are one of the easiest tools to use when curling your hair, so I decided to save up some of my spare pennies to fund one. I found the Rimmel Pearl wand in boots for just £25, which seemed cheap enough compared to the prices of some higher end products.

The product includes a heat proof glove which comes in handy if you're clumsy like me and prone to burns. The glove will fit on either left or right hand due to the design of it and keeps out a significant amount of heat whilst holding the wand. However don't put your hand directly on the wand whilst waering the glove because the heat will break through after a while.

The instructions included with the wand simply state that you need to get your hair at the root and wrap it around the wand until you reach the tip, hold, and then pull the wand out which should leave a springy curl. That wasn't the case when I tried. I have fairly long hair which reaches my mid-back so I did expect the process to take a little longer than what my friends had stated, but I didnt expect my hair not to curl at all. I initially waited 20 seconds for each strand of hair, I found that it just made my hair look a little wavy and mainly frizzy. In the end, through trial and error I found that I had to hold each strand for nearer to a minute to get anything that closely resembles a curl!

I think my main problem with this product is that it isnt fully compatible with the length of my hair. I do still use it every now and then if I want a wavy look, but I can never quite achieve that angel curl that everyone else seems to get. For the price I'm not too disappointed, but I do wish the wand was a little bigger so I can get a better use out of it.

27.03.2013 14:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great gift for the retro gamer

As a present for my friend who had just passed their driving test I thought that it would be very fitting to get this Pacman key ring for their new car keys. I purchased the key ring from a shop in the local shopping mall called 'MenKind' which sells a lot of retro and quirky gadgets and gifts. The key ring was priced at around £6, which is what I expected from a gift shop, although I do think it is quite steep for the product that it is.

The Key ring is just like any other, it has the loop and chain attached to the top of Pacman's head ready to attach to sets of keys etc. The Pacman character looks very authentic and original, not like those cheapish ones you can sometimes pick up in the arcades. I found that the size of the key chain was very practical and was just the right size to be able to fit in a coat pocket without filling up too much space.

There is a sound function on this key ring, which is how I justified paying so much for it! You simply press the button at the bottom of Pacman's head and the retro arcade music will start to play for a few seconds. One problem that my friend had with this, is that if something in your bag hits the button whilst you're walking it starts to go off in meetings and in the street! So be careful if you're taking this key rong somewhere high key.

The batteries were included and already in place when I bought the keyring and are easy to get hold of in the local watch shop if they're unavailable in supermarkets. However the battery in my friend's is still going strong, so hopefully they wont need replacing too often.

This product is fun and quirky making the perfect gift for any retro gamer!

26.03.2013 21:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Lovely doll, just a bit pricey

The little mermaid has to be my all time favorite Disney movie, and has been every since I watched it for the first time as a young girl. As all my family an friends know about this love of mine towards the movie and it's characters I received many 'joke' type little mermaid presents for my recent birthday. Although they weren't so much a joke present to me as I loved them!

Among my sea of little mermaid gifts was this plush doll of the main character Ariel. I noticed that it had the Disney store badge sewn into her meaning it must have been purchased from there only and on my recent visit to purchase a new Winnie the pooh mug for my mum I couldn't help but take a sneaky peek at the price. I was shocked to see that this doll retails at £16, not because I think the quality of the doll is poor in anyway, I just don't know anyone in their right mind who would pay over £10 for an average sized plush toy or teddy bear.

The Ariel doll is made of a very decent durable material which can be noticed by just holding the doll, it felt very think and padded whilst maintaining a cosy softness. I think that the resemblance of Ariel is there but not fully to the standard you'd expect for that price and from the Disney shop. There are no safety hazards with this doll as the tag can be easily removed and the rest is just soft fabric.

There isn't too much to say about this product, what you see is what you get. A nice cosy plush doll of your favorite Disney princess. This doll is also available in other characters at the same retail price. Although I love this doll and the memories it brings back, I still have difficulty understanding how to justify charging £16 for a soft toy. If you have the money to splurge then definitely get this doll, but if the pricing is a little too steep then I would recommend that the doll isn't really worth the hassle.

25.03.2013 18:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

An average overpriced toy

I purchased this product many years ago as a treat to my little sister on her birthday. The toy is based on the items and characters from the children's TV show 'Dora the explorer', including the main character herself, Dora, as a doll. The current retail price for this play set is £25-£35 depending on the store you purchase it from, as thr release of this toy was many years ago it can sometimes be hard to get your hands on, hence the variation in pricing.

The set includes backpack which is designed to carry the plastic camera, magnifying glass, bracelet and binoculars along side a paper map and a fabric backpack for the smaller Dora doll which is also included. The purpose or the plastic toys is just to play dress up and to help realise the dreams of young children becoming an explorer like Dora. The minimal functions of these additional accessories is slightly disappointing due to the price of the product. However the backpack and Dora doll does compensate quite a bit.

When the lips or eyes are pressed, the backpack quotes some of the common phrases that he says in the show and the sound quality is surprisingly clear and good for a children's toy. The doll is an exact replica of Dora, however I found that some aspects such as the clothing was cheaply made and did show signs of wear quite quickly. On the upside to that at least it meant she was being loved and used! Proof that fans of the show will love this product.

Overall I'd say this product is average, only a fan of the show will cherish this product with no complaints. I personally think that it is cheaply made with only a few functions for the price paid. I'd give this product 4/5 if the price was a bit lower, however at the current retail and the price I paid I can only give 3/4, for that price I'd at least expect to be able to see through the binoculars!

Average, but will make any Dora fan's day.

10.03.2013 16:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

I love it, just not for what it's supposed to do!

I'll admit it, I'm an ex-nail biter. I went through all of the stages and methods trying to quit the habit longing to find a cheap and easy solution. This Nail Experts product has been in the Avon catalogue for a few years now and I bought it not long after it originally came out for a special introductionary price of £2. The purpose it to harden your nails and stop them from being so brittle that they eventually break before reaching the length you want. I thought that it might be harder to bite my nails if they had some extra strength (sensitive teeth).

The bottle is easy enough to open, but the smooth plastic often makes it hard to get a firm grip. I found that when applying the product the brush spread the varnish easily, however it is on the small side so I had to use multiple strokes on each nail to get full coverage. All that aside the design is pretty average and performs to a reasonable standard.

The polish itself drys within a couple minutes which is great if you plan to put a coat of colour on top, the polish also dries as smooth at the plastic lid is, meaning that if you are planning on double coating it the second coat will go on like a dream and usually creates the smoothness you see in all of the example pictures in the Avon brochure. When i apply just the clear strengthening coat alone I find that after about 3 days it starts to chip and after about 7 its practically come off. I do wish it would last a bit longer, but from my experience it seems not many varnishes do last much longer than this one, so again it's pretty average.

The 'strength' claim, I don't agree with so much. I used this product for about a month so I could see the improvments, but truth be told there really wasn't much difference. This product works as a fab under and top coat and I use it all the time now I've managed to grow my nails out (In the end the only thing that stopped me was whe I got braces!) and th bottle tends to last me up to half a year, which is great value for money seeing as I use two layers of it everytime I paint my nails, which is quite often.

Don't buy this to strengthen your nails, you will be disappointed. Buy it for an under and top coat and you'll be thrilled!

• Momiji Hello Kitty Aya / Doll / 35 Readings / 34 Ratings
          10.02.2013 21:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great doll

I'm not usually someone who appreciates decorative objects, as I like for the things in my house to serve a purpose. When I received this Momiji doll as a gift for my previous birthday I had my doubts. Before fully opening the doll and reading all there is to know about 'aya' I jumped to the conclusion that I would have this small doll in my house somewhere just cluttering and getting i the way, however I was pleasantly surprised.

It turns out that this little doll which seems to be made out of some sort of wood, is actually a message doll. The idea is that you can write a little note or message for others in the house or the person you are giving the doll to, and hide it in the bottom of the doll. When I read that this was the purpose on the box of the doll, I quickly opened it up to investigate further, to my surprise there was already a small message written and placed in the slot, which my friend had put in there before wrapping the doll. I have to admit this small gesture was so cute and thoughtful it did brighten the day for me just that little bit more.

The doll is now used as a sort of post-it note system, leaving reminders and messages for the rest of the guys living in the house. It has made communicating a lot easier as everyone loves finding out what's new in the doll. As the doll gets used quite a bit, some of the paint has chipped off the edges of the doll and she is starting to look a little used, however for the price of just £9.99 (£4.50 in the sale at the moment) I think the joy Aya brings is just fantastic.

I honestly would have preferred a different design on the doll as the hello kitty doesn't really fit with the decor of my house, however she is still charming and gets lots of compliments. Even though I'm very pleased with this doll I do not think I will be purchasing anymore of them as that would just clutter the house and there wouldn't be much purpose for all of them.

Defninately worth the investment if you need a little charm and cute in your life or home, or an ideal gift for a close friend or relative!

08.02.2013 20:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Okay supplements, not perfect

I've been suffering with a painful knee joint for a while now, clicking at every slight movement, which for someone of my age is very concerning. I consulted my doctor about this however he couldn't see anything to worry about just a dodgy joint, this wasn't enough to ease my concern so I decided to seek some online advice. Most of the tips given for healthy joints were to consume a good amount of cod liver oil, as I'm not a fan of most fish this seemed to make sense and I hoped that with some supplements my knee may improve.

I found a pack of 30 capsules in boots for a mere £1.49, I was really impressed with the price as each little tub would last you roughly a month, not harming my pocket at all. I chose the boots product over other well known brands such as seven seas purely because of the affordable price (seven seas works out to be roughly £3.30 per 30 capsules).

If you aren't very confident when swallowing tablets then I wouldn't recommend these supplements, each capsule is a lot larger than your average paracetamol making them a little uncomfortable to swallow. However despite the size I don't have any real problems taking them, but I do know some people who would struggle.

The affects of these supplements aren't very significant at all, I took the whole pack of with probably unrealistic expectations for the clicking, stiffness and pain to completely clear up, however the capsules only relieved the stiffness still leaving me with worrying clicking and discomfort.

I think that this product definitely improves the health of your joints, maybe just not to the extent that I personally would like. This product is ideal if you just want a little boost, it's not the best if you have more than average stiffness and pain in your joints. I probably won't be buying these again as I continue my search for a more powerful replacement.

06.02.2013 10:18

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great mattress!

I've always had problems being able to drift off to sleep with ease, I initially never thought it was due to the mattress I had been sleeping on as it was fairly new, only 6 months old, however when my parents bought me a new memory foam mattress from Silentnight my opinion suddenly changed. My Mattress was purchased from Amazon as they were selling it for around £160 reduced from the RRP of over £300, I personally think it is a lot of money to pay out for a mattress that your not sure if you'll get along with, and you can't even try it out first! However I did find that in the end this wasn't a problem for me.

When your mattress arrives you have to unroll it and leave it to stand for 6-12 hours depending on the size mattress you've purchased, mine was only a single so I left it for around 8 hours to be on the safe side. The mattress was true to size and fit into my bed frame with ease. When I first sat on the bed I had the impression that it would be light and fluffy due to my friend's comments that the memory foam mattresses make you feel as if you're sinking into the bed, this wasn't the case. The feel was like sinking, however not to the extent I imagined, it was more firm than fluffy giving my body a safe and structured support. Although I was looking forward to feeling as if I was floating on my mattress, this firmer feel has done my back wonders and makes it super easy to get comfortable for a night's sleep.

I'm not someone who flips, turns or changes my mattress around regularly so this isn't an important factor for me, however it does say on the instructions that this mattress needs to be turned to keep the structure good. The weight of it isn't as heavy as normal mattresses so even if you did decided you wanted to flip it as well it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Another plus is that these mattresses are supposedly bed bug repellent and anti-allergenic so you can also feel clean and safe from those bed bugs at night!

Overall I think this is a good investment for those who need a little extra care and support to help get a better nights sleep, from my personal experience I've found that since using this bed I have a lot more energy in the mornings and feel a lot happier, who knew how important a few hours sleep is!

• Bratz Basic Yasmin / Doll / 49 Readings / 48 Ratings
                05.02.2013 13:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great dolls for those who have out grown babie

I remember being obsessed with bratz dolls when they first hit the market, I had to have everything, the pad, the cars the catwalk. However since going through high school and graduating I've not really heard much more about the Bratz dolls until it was my younger cousin's birthday a few months back. She had just turned 10 and I remember from my childhood that I prefered Bratz over Barbie at that age due to the promotion of them having more 'style' and 'attitude', so I thought I'd take my chances and see if she thought the same.

Yasmin was my favorite of the main dolls, mainy due to her more subtle and quirky style, one of the reasons I chose to present this doll to my cousin. Not much has changed, the newer versions are in different styled boxes (still remaining difficult to actually get the doll out!) and have more up to date clothing to remain relevant in the market.

The fashion doll comes with one main outfit, the doll with detachable feet and a brush to help maintain the quality and cleanliness of the doll. The total cost comes to £12.99 which I feel is pretty good value considering I used to pay up to £30 per doll when they were first out. The doll is pretty flexible with joints that move and enable you to position the doll in serious poses during play, for example you are able to adjust the doll to cross their legs and sit/drive cars, which is a very convenient aspect for the older children who like to play with their dolls in a more realistic way.

A great thing about Bratz dolls is that you can easily change their clothes and style. The feet of the dolls pop off and and you can pop a different foot (with a different shoe on it) back into place. The one disadvantage of this is that if you have a collection of different dolls such as chloe and sasha (who have different skin tones) you cannot mix and match the feet, however you can buy clothing/shoe sets seperately to allow several choices for a particular doll.

My cousin loved this doll just as much as I did when I was her age and I think that Bratz dolls are a perfect choice for the older girls who feel that barbies arent 'cool' anymore. I've never had a problem with these dolls breaking or snapping, and my little cousin's is still going strong, I think that despite the initial cost of £13, the dolls are worth it as they last long and give many different opportunities for play.

02.02.2013 12:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Perfect product for me

I've been using my Dad's canon mp600 for a few years now before purchasing my own second hand model from the papers for just £20 (including inks which makes the printer roughly £8). As this is an older model you'll find them on ebay from just £5, and in my opinion you'd be silly to pass up that opportunity as neither of the printers have had a single problem. ( I dont think this particular model can be purchased from new anymore)

The printer is fairly chunky and big which could be a problem if you only have a small space to put a printer, however I think the size is reasonable due to the need for the scanning function; there is not wasted space which makes it acceptable for me. The design is very clever making everything able to tuck and fold away, so when it's not being used it doesn't look messy or get in the way.

The print quality can be adjusted according to the paper being used and the purpose of the print, I find the the highest quality setting with thick 180gsm paper creates a very vibrant and clear image, not as good as the prints from boots etc, however it is a close match. Keep in mind the higher quality the more ink you use up, so the more expensive i will be. On the plus side, the type of cartridge that this particular printer takes can be found from many different brands at various prices staring from just a couple pounds per colour, opposed to the 3-4 pound original price. The printer doesn't unneedingly clean itself, using the ink sparingly and making it last considerably longer than previous printers I've had.

The Mp600 has many features and functions which go way beyond your basic printing needs, there is a built in scanner/copier, an SD card reader and much more. I use the printer primarily for printing images to stick in my sketchbook, because of this I need to use different papers for different purposes. The Mp600 accommodates for this need perfectly, there is the option to print from two different paper trays meaning I can load the two with different papers and choose which to print from with the click of a button, this is great opposed to the older printer I had when I needed to fiddle with paper all the time.

You can use this printer without having a computer too, so for those of you who are like my Grandad and owns a digital camera but no computer, you can simply plug in your USB or SD card into the printer and print directly from those devices. The buttons on the printer are very self explanatory and make it super easy to change the intensity or size of the image you wish to print with no interference with a computer.

For those of you who do have computers the one downside is the fact that unlike the newer printers available it isn't completely wireless. It does have a wireless function, however I've never been able to print from my laptop without it being plugged in, so I'm not quite sure how it works. I've never needed to print from a distance so this hasn't caused me any problems.

I could go on for hours about how reliable and great this printer is, however I think I've covered the basics and said everything that needs to be known. In my opinion there's no need to get any other printer if you're just looking for domestic or study use, it creates considerably good prints and has a fairly low maintenance cost with minimal problems. Great buy and I hope to be using this printer for many years to come!

27.01.2013 15:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great little bargain bag

I've recently purchased a new 17" laptop which quite frankly cost me so much I've been wary to take it anywhere further than my room, however as I was browsing through the Paper chase sale I saw a laptop case, just as the one pictured but in black and yellow reduced to just £6. This may not sound like a good bargain to those who own average sized 15" laptops, but believe me it is a nightmare trying to find a nice looking laptop case to fit a 17", especially for a price like this!

These cases are available in various sizes and colours to suit anyone, however I found that there were several designs which were not sold in a 17" size, so make sure you check the size before setting your heart on a particular design! Luckily for me I found that there was so much choice that I wasn't disappointed.

I found that the fit of the case was fairly tight however it closes with just enough room to not damage or scratch my laptop. There isn't enough room for both the laptop and the cable lead as it is designed to have the same properties as a laptop sleeve but with the additional handle and carry strap for travelling convenience. The case fastened with a zip line which starts in the middle of both sides of the case. There are two zip fasteners which I find is convenient to quickly get my laptop in and out without mixing up the right side for the zip.

I decided that this was the case/bag for me as the material has a failry thick padding on it to ensure small knocks (like an accidental band on the car door, or a tap to the chair leg) doesn't scratch or dent the laptop when it's inside. the padding is also a bonus as it doesn't bruise your leg or side after carrying it around all day which is great for people like me who are constantly on the go.

The case comes with a removable black strap which I personally would expect anyway as I don't see any point in just simply having a sleeve. The strap is adjustable to suit all heights and sizes and the width is generous so it doesn't cut into your shoulder too much, however I would suggest that if you're sensitive to weight or plan on carrying your laptop very long distances to get a padding patch like those for car seats to optimize comfort.

Overall this case is pretty basic and doesn't go above and beyond what I expected, however it has kept my laptop safe on short journey's and has done what i bought it to do. If you are looking for extensive protection and performance then this probably isn't the case for you, but for just £6 in the sale it's worth picking one up just for those minor occasions.

02.12.2012 22:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great temp replacement

I'm a girl who loves her cheese toasties, which has left me with a broken George Foreman due to wear and tear. As you can guess I didn't want to wait a few weeks until my student savings grew enough for me to splurge out on another, so it was music to my ears when my friend told me that Tesco does a sandwich maker for just a fiver! Living right by a Tesco superstore I wasn't left without my toasties for long.

The appearance of the product was pretty much the Tesco value house style, white plastic exterior with dashes of black for the grill plates. Nothing flashy or impressive compared to the sleeker looking grills I was used to. Personally when it comes to minor appliances like this one the appearance doesn't bother me at all as long as the product does what I bought it to do.

Using this sandwich maker, or toastie as I like to call it, couldn't be easier, you simply prepare your sandwich as you do if you were to use an oven grill or a more elaborate sandwich maker, then place them on the grill plates when the light indicates it's hot enough. I would say that the plastic isn't the best of materials for a hot appliance and it can get a little too hot if you're making a batch of sandwiches when you have people over, so watch out for your fingers!

The sandwiches produced are of a great standard, the light indicates roughly when the sandwich should be ready however I always leave it in for 30 seconds or so longer because I like mine extra crispy.

You have to clean the grill plates after every use, if you don't it's going to make your next use of the appliance a lot harder and unpleasant than it needs to be. But fear not, the material of the grill plates is very smooth and the grease and other nasty leftovers just slide off with a simple wipe and rinse. I'm actually surprised to say that I find this product a lot easier to clean than my previous ones.

Other than the basics there isn't much more for me to cover, the sandwich maker is exactly that, basic. However, though it is a basic product don't underestimate it's ability to make amazingly yummy grilled sandwiches, and with the price of only £5 for the grill they'll taste even better!

13.11.2012 09:41

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

Great buy

I think that most people would agree that Apple is the go to brand for desirable MP3 players. Throughout my teenage and young adult life I've purchased a few different models and products from Apple's iPod line, one of which being the iPod nano.

Appearance
                      The great thing about the Nano iPod line is that unlike the touch and classic, it can be acquired in a range of different colours. The colours are all very urban and vibrant, with the exception of black. I chose the lime green colour, at the time I thought it would be cool and fun to have such a playful and vibrant colour to look at daily, however I will say that I regret my decision and I think that my taste has changed and matured through the years. The colour I chose is probably the main reason as to why I have updated to a sleeker black and silver iPod touch. So if you are looking into buying a nano, pick your colour wisely!!
                      Besides the colour, the product has many other visual aspects which make it sleek and desirable, for instance, the width of the product is unbelievably slim which makes it super easy to transport and slip into your pockets. The player also has a curved back to it which makes it more comfortable to hold in your hand, and just makes the whole experience of using it feel natural and pleasant.

The screen is of a reasonable size and has very vibrant and clear pixels, The great quality of the pixels bring any videos or photos you view on your device to life and makes the whole experience seem relevant and top of the range.
                      The last important visual aspect to mention would be the large circular panel which contains all the buttons and controls you'll need to use your iPod (with the exception of the power button located at the top of the device). Personally I think that this feature is what give the nano it's signature and makes it unique.

All in all the appearance of this product gets a thumbs up from me, that is if you choose your colour wisely!

Ease of use
                      Not a lot to put in this section as the iPod really is easy peasy to use. You basically switch the device on by using the button located at the top of the player. Once the device is on you just swipe your finger around the circular panel to move the selection bar up and down the menus, once the selection bar is highlighting the function you wish to use you just press the centre button. It really is as simple as that, which is great because I think that one of the most important things about MP3 player usage is to be convenient and efficient so you can enjoy your entertainment with no fuss.

Printed on the circular panel are the typical symbols for play/pause, stop, and skip, to use these functions when watching or listening, you just need to press on them with slightly more pressure than you would if you were sliding through the menu lists.

Unique Selling Point
                      There are various things that this iPod has to offer which makes it more appealing than other MP3 players on the market. Some of the more obvious features to mention are the abilities to upload and view videos and photos to your device. I love the fact that I can watch on this iPod as well as listen as it gives me more choice and options when it comes to waiting for he bus to come etc. Personally I don't understand the need to put photos on a device like this and I never use this function, however to those who love to carry family photos everywhere, this could be a great addition.

There are various games which you can play on this iPod, which to some can be an exciting feature, I don't use this function as much as I thought I would when I bought it, however when I am very bored it does come in handy and occupies my mind for a while.

One of my favourite features on this device is being able to shuffle the songs you're listening to by the shake of your hand! This is a gimmick which doesn't really need to be there, however it does make the iPod more exciting and fun. On the downside I do find myself having to re-set the song I was listing to because my iPod was shaken mistakenly and skipped to the next one!

Price
                      For a new nano, you're looking at paying around £150, however some places charge more some places charge less, so do look around before investing your hard earned cash! I would advise to look for a good condition second hand nano as these device seem to last a lifetime, so it'll work as good as new. Don't be put off this product by the price, it may initially seem very steep, however they last forever and you will get your value for money. If in any case your iPod does break, Apply has a great gaurentee where they will fix your iPod or replace it as long as you purchased it within 2 years (as far as I can remember).

Overall opinion
                      I think this device is very thoughtfully designed with us, the consumers in mind. Its easy to personalize a nano to suit your own preferences which makes it an ideal present etc. I love my nano however I don't use it as much asnymore as I foudn that I grew out fo this device quite quickly and preferred something with a bit more maturity. I can't fault much on this product, durable, great looking anf ull of features

• Tesco DF98 Desk Fan / Fan / 40 Readings / 38 Ratings
                        11.11.2012 17:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great fan, recommended

Sadly the summer is over now and there is no need to use this nifty fan which I picked up at Tesco nearer the beginning of the year. However, on the brighter side of things I did get some good use out of the product which means its now time to review and rant.

I live in a fairly small household which tends to be overcrowded with people the majority of the time, so as you could imagine the heat in the summer can sometimes reach an unbearable point. A fan seems to be the best way to go when it comes to cooling a room down, and due to my growing positive experiences with the Tesco value range, I didn't hesitate to purchase their desk fan.

Coming from the value range the fan didn't break the bank and was kind to my pocket at just under £10. I do think this is a fair price for the product, however considering the other appliances I managed to snap up were just £5 it did seem a little steeper for a product I wouldn't use as much as the others. Never the less, £10 is a good price.

My first impression of the fan was that it was very sturdy and more importantly it felt very safe; I'm always wary about my appliances being child friendly as I have younger relatives around a lot. The mesh/ metal casing around the fan felt sturdy enough to protect anyone from the fan, however it was a slightly cheaper material than some of the higher end brands use, meaning if you were to kick this fan it would probably dent or get damaged in some way.

The fan is easy to use, just three buttons to press for different degrees of coolness, or better put, different speeds of the fan. The buttons were a bit stiff to press at the start of me using the product, however don't be put off by this as it tends to loosen up with a few useages.

I'd say that it takes around 5-10 minutes for the fan to cool the whole of a large room ( being a living or dining room), however in a box room it takes just under 5 minutes. I'm not too worried about the time for the air to spread, however if this is an important factor for you I'd say this product is pretty average.

I've been using this product throughout the summer, so probably about 10+ times, not as much as I'd have liked to have used it, but you know what the English weather is like! I've had no problems with this fan each time I've used it, and I feel like the £10 was well spent. The product does the job and I don't see any reason to pick a more expensive product over this one, they all do the same thing!

• Tesco IR06 Steam Iron / Iron / 41 Readings / 40 Ratings
                        09.11.2012 12:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

Does what you'd expect for a fiver

As I've had nothing but good experiences with the Tesco value range when it comes to household appliances I decided that I'd try out their iron when my previous one was no longer working. The Tesco value household appliances can usually be found in the superstores and it's very rare to find them in the metro or slightly smaller supermarkets.

I picked up my Iron for just under £5, this was great at the time as money was tight (like always) and I didn't have much more than that to spare anyway. Compared to other irons on the market the Tesco iron is just a fraction of the price and immediately reasonable value.

Don't expect anything too spectacular with this product, it has a simple design, simple functions and no new gimmicks and gadgets built in. Personally I didn't find the simplicity of the iron an issue at all, in fact it was quite refreshing to avoid all of the unneeded nonsense. That being said, you can get these irons with a coloured section creating a two toned design, I thought this was quite funky however if you like keeping to a strict colour scheme with your appliances you may find this as an issue.

The iron is of a reasonable size, great for taking on caravan holidays or when you're going on a short break somewhere due to its compact design. The cord also wraps around the iron well which makes it easier and tidier to store.

The iron is a cord iron which needs to be plugged into the mains; I found the cord to be fairly short so I had to find a socket which can have the ironing board very close to it. Other than the length I didn't have any major issues with the function of the cord.

The iron has two buttons on the top, one to let steam out and one to spray water on the garment being ironed, you won't need to read the instructions to get the hang of these, they're very much straight forward and fool proof. To get the water into the iron is pretty much like any other iron, there's a little hole where you can slowly pour water (ideally using a thin spout), be aware that this can be quite annoying as it has a tendency to overflow.

The iron works well, not amazingly, but it gets the creases out eventually, usually after gliding over the fabric a few times but it does get there. It's not an ideal product for those who are in a rush, however if you have the time and patience to work into the garments then you'll get along just fine.

This product is great value for money, it's not the best looking or best performing but it does everything you would expect from an iron and at just £5 you really can't complain!