koshkha

koshkha
  • Comments

Member since: 21.07.2000

13.10.2014 19:10

Advantages

• "Feels great"
      • "Smells great"

Disadvantages

• "A bit expensive"

Light, deliciously scented and indulgent.

Trilogy was a brand I’d seen featured on beauty websites but I didn’t know much about them or what they did. I found a 25 ml pot of their Rosapene night cream in my YouBeautyDiscovery advent calendar last year and I had a suspicion that it would be something rather special. This product was just about my favourite of all the things in my calendar and one of only a couple of products that I’ve rebought. I liked it so much that I bought three more small jars when they became available on the LatestInBeauty website.

Trilogy was started by two New Zealand women in 2002 as a natural skin care company which drew on the antioxidant properties of rosehip oil. Their aim was to offer the same kind of effectiveness that was normally seen in products stuffed full of clever synthetic ingredients but using organic certified rosehip oil. It’s not such an unusual approach now in 2014 but 12 years ago, this was still quite innovative.

The Rosapene night cream is a lovely rich but quite lightweight cream designed for use at night. Because it’s so lightweight, it’s ideal for me when I’m travelling as I will also use it as a day cream when it’s not too hot and sunny outside. It’s currently with me in India on my three week holiday to give my skin a real treat after a hard day in the blazing sunshine and shocking humidity. It feels like I’m giving my skin a chance to recover after such rough environmental conditions

The trademarked Rosapene Oil blend consists of several different types of rosehip oils and a bunch of other seed oils. The night cream contains these rosehip oils as well as tomato seed oil, sunflower seed oil, cranberry seed oil, acai fruit oil, and a host of other seed oils whose names I don’t recognise. It also contains manuka honey extract and goji berry extracts.

First of all I love this because it smells so delicious. It’s a juicy, fruity, rosy scent that’s subtle and not too overpowering.

Secondly I love the texture. It’s light, spreads really well and a little goes a very long way. It soaks into my skin quickly without feeling greasy. I have slightly dry skin and this works beautifully.

And thirdly it leaves my skin feeling fabulously soft and moisturised, delivering the kind of deep indulgence I’d normally only get with a much heavier night cream. It’s gentle enough to use in very hot weather but effective enough when it’s cold outside.

For those who demand higher ethical credentials, this product carries the NATRUE logo as a guarantee that it uses only natural and organic ingredients and is made by what Trilogy call ‘soft manufacturing’ processes and environmentally friendly methods.

NATRUE also means no animal testing, no GM ingredients, no synthetic perfumes or colours, no silicone oils or petroleum based products and none of the finished products or ingredients have been irradiated.

• Desserts / Recipe / 9 Readings / 9 Ratings
        28.09.2014 12:50

Advantages

• "Quick and simple"
        • "Tastes like you made a real effort"

Disadvantages

• "You need to warn people about the eggs."

Easy Two Ingredient Chocolate Mousse - Ultra rich

Chocolate mousse used to be my standard dinner party dessert about 20 years ago and I recently started making it again.

The first thing to know is that there are only two ingredients - chocolate and eggs so you won't need to do a big shop.

The second thing to be aware of is that the eggs are NOT cooked so if you have any friends who are - or who might be - pregnant and are - or might be - paranoid about uncooked eggs, don’t pick this recipe or give plenty of warning. It wouldn't be fair if your pudding should not be the reason that someone has to break their happy (or not so happy) news to a group of people.

Not only does it need only two ingredients, it’s very quick and simple but tastes very expensive.

Ingredients:
        200g or 8 ounces of dark chocolate - the higher the cocoa content, the better
        4 large free range eggs.

Method:

1. Separate the eggs. Beat the living daylights out of the whites until they are stiff - as if you were making a meringue. Keep the yolks to one side and give them a little stir with a fork to break the membranes. I like to do this before melting the choc because if I mess it up at this stage, I’ve not wasted all that lovely chocolate.

2. Break the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl and warm it over a pan of hot simmering water. When all the chocolate has melted, pour in the egg yolks and mix them into the chocolate.

3. Pour the choco-egg mixture onto the beaten egg whites and fold together carefully to preserve the air in the whites. Don’t beat it, be gentle.

4. Divide into small dishes or glasses if you have them or into a larger bowl if you don’t and chill.

In total it won’t take you more than half an hour.

If you want to add some booze for a bit more kick, you can add it to the egg yolks before adding to the choc. You can of course decorate it with some whipped cream, chocolate shavings or whatever takes your fancy.

If you can't afford fancy dark chocolate, and you still want to give it a go, you can try with milk chocolate or even bakers choc-substitutes. In my student days I made it with whatever I could afford. Most people didn't seem to care.

This is plenty for four people. Even greedy people.

20.08.2014 17:41

Advantages

• "Old familiar friends"

Disadvantages

• "Too many weak story lines"

Mrs Ali's road to nowhere

I loved Farahad Zama's first book `The Marriage Bureau for Rich People', quite enjoyed the second and started to wonder if the series was getting lost around the third. The fourth is `Mrs Ali's Road to Happiness'.

Mr Ali's bureau is doing well, his assistant Aruna is heavily pregnant, his son Rehman has regular if poorly paid work and his niece Pari is installed in a flat nearby with her adopted son, Vasu.. All seems to be well with the world but of course it can't last.

A series of trials and traumas lined up to entertain us. There are the petty little every day annoyances; worshipers pinching Mr Ali's blossoms as they passed on their way to the mosque or the temple and the odd stroppy customer who's not happy with the service provided by the Bureau but it's nothing Mr Ali can't handle. There's a strange excursion to visit relatives who accidentally explode some eggs in a microwave. These are the amusing little stories of Mr and Mrs Ali's world. There are more impactful inconveniences like Mr Ali getting his electricity cut off and Mrs Ali finding out that there's a plan to widen the road on which they live which will slice through the Alis' home

Then there's the really big racial issue around young Vasu and his adoptive mum Pari. The local mosque threaten to excommunicate Mr and Mrs Ali and the local Hindu activists threaten to take the boy away and put him in and orphanage. And of course it's all taking place during Ramadan to add a bit more tension.

The book reads like an episode of a soap opera - one which you need to have been following for years in order to keep track of the plot. Repeatedly the author has to remind readers of things that happened in the previous three books. Here are the folk who got kidnapped by the Naxalites in book three, here's the girlfriend from book two and so on. Could you follow ‘Mrs Ali's Road to Happiness' if you hadn't read the previous three books? Maybe but not without quite a lot of irritation.

The work of the Marriage Bureau takes a minor role to the religious wranglings over Vasu and the machinations of the town's politicians who are caught up in the road building plans. Both issues are solved in ways that didn't - for me at least - satisfy or ring true.

Farahad Zama can and must do better than this.The story rambles and drifts around, few matches get made and the balance between the sweet but slightly banal life of a retired couple and the outrageously over the top situations they face, just doesn't work this time. Plot lines don't complete, characters head off down blind alleys and when I reached the end I was left with a dissatisfying sense of `Is that all there is?'

18.08.2014 19:24

Advantages

• "Interesting themes of dislocation"
        • " each deeply felt"
        • "Beautiful little stories"

Disadvantages

• "Can be rather confusing"
        • "Not everyone loves short stories "

I thought of many things when reading 'I think of you'.

Ahdaf Souief is an Egyptian writer who was educated in Egypt and the UK and knows both countries intimately. She has two major novels – In the Eye of the Sun (1992) and The Map of Love which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1999 – and several collections of short stories and books of essays. If, like me, you loved The Map of Love, take care to make sure you understand WHAT you are buying with her books as she excels at novels but her short stories and essays may be less to your taste.

I hadn't realised that 'I Think of You' was a set of short stories when I bought it but that didn't bother me too much. What I did regret was discovering that I already had both of the books from which the stories were drawn and repackaged - Aisha and Sandpiper. However, since one of the two is hard to get hold of, it's not a bad thing that this collection makes them a bit more accessible.

In total there are nine short stories - some stand alone whilst others link to one another. They can be very confusing, especially if you've not immediately worked out that they are short stories and you are looking for some kind of flow. Each story is a small, well constructed work of art and most are deeply moving.

Themes of geographic dislocation and alienation appear again and again with Egyptians in England and westerners in Egypt in almost equal measure. There are also several stories based around a broken marriage in which both parties are moving on but not yet divorced. In one the wife meets her not-quite-ex-husband's new girlfriend, in another she's confronted by her ex-mother in law, who is angry at her because the husband has taken off to a hotel with his new love and left her and her other son and his wife in his apartment. There's a very moving little tale of a kitten caught up in the family turmoil and a couple about ex-pats trying to find stability in Egypt.

I can't say I loved the book but it certainly reminded me how much I like Soueif's writing and has bumped her novels further up my must read list.

27.07.2014 16:55

Advantages

• "98.8% Natural "
        • "Smells wonderful"
        • "Quickly absorbed"
        • "long lasting"
        • Rich

Disadvantages

• "Quite expensive"

A multi-award winning hand cream from Balance Me

I have a 30 ml tube of this hand cream which came as part of a set of four Balance Me products. The full size tube costs GBP14.50 for a 100ml tube. I like to carry hand cream in my handbag so a smaller tube is actually better for me.

Balance Me is a British natural cosmetics company founded by three sisters who gave up their jobs in the hope of creating a company and products that would let them get back their work-life balance. Hence - I guess - the name. They use lots of high quality natural oils and essences and aim to create products that are still affordable. They aren’t cheap but I would say they are generally great value for money and for the quality provided.

It’s a thick cream that is easily controlled when you’re squeezing it out of the tube so you won’t get too much and then be left with sticky messy hands, searching for something to wipe it off with. It’s rich and indulgent but it rubs in really well and won’t leave oily marks on things that you touch afterwards. It stays on my hands for hours - even after hand washing - and the delicious fruity scent lingers for a very long time. It’s an uplifting and energising scent and is very distinctive of many of the Balance Me products.

98.8% of the ingredients are from natural sources and the level of shea butter - the most important ingredient in most hand creams - is high so you can be confident of a high level of really intense moisturisation. I strongly suspect that the main contributors to the delicious smell of the product are probably the rosehip oil and the geranium extract and the bergamot. Now that I know there is some lavender, I can also pick that out of the juicy, fruity mix of notes.

The product has received a lot of attention in the press and the beauty media and it has three prestigious awards; a Beauty Bible Anti-Ageing award, a Beauty Bible ‘Green’ award and a Beauty Insiders Choice award. You can also find lots of reviews of it in various online magazines.

If you want a hard working, long lasting, deeply moisturising hand cream that smells fabulous and won’t leave your hands a sticky, slimy mess, you could do a lot worse than to track down a tube of this excellent product. You’ll thank me if you do.

21.07.2014 13:04

Advantages

• "It seems to work"

Disadvantages

• "May need you to change the way you wash"

Can caffeine give your hair a buzz?

It seems to be expected that as you get older your hair gets grey and gets thinner. A few months back I got out the tweezers to attack the drain in the bath at my flat and was horrified to remove a lump of clotted hair about the size of a mid-sized rodent from the plug hole. Then I read a post on the Macmillan thyroid cancer forum that I use where someone mentioned that a German shampoo called ‘Plantur 39’ had helped her to stop the hair problems she’d been having. I thought it was worth a go.

Women’s hair roots are protected by the female hormone oestrogen but as you head towards menopause and beyond, the oestrogen levels drop and testosterone levels increase and your hair gets thinner and falls out more. This apparently starts around the age of 40. The wonder ingredient to stop your boy hormones fighting with your girl hormones is apparently caffeine and the manufacturers, Dr Wolff, claim it will stop your hair from thinning.

It’s not so easy to find Plantur 39 in regular stores and I had to revert to buying it online from a company in Jersey. It’s not cheap either so shop around. I’ve paid between 6-8 pounds

The product needs to be left on for at least 120 seconds which is way longer than I’d normally leave shampoo on my head. The shampoo is green but has very little scent to it. I rather expected it to smell quite medicated but it doesn’t – it’s perhaps a bit ‘fruity’ but there’s very little fragrance impact. I find it very foamy but that might because the 120 second ‘thing’ means I’m foaming it up for longer.

The manufacturers claim you need to use this every day but I don’t want to do that. I don’t think it’s good to over-wash your hair but if you, like me, wash every other day (or less), they make a hair tonic for the days in between. Since this comes in an annoyingly large bottle that doesn’t suit my peripatetic lifestyle, I don’t do this very often.

I’m more than half-way through my second bottle and I really do believe it’s making a difference. Hair as long as mine will take a long time for the full effects to show through but there’s a lot less hair coming out in the bath and on my brushes. For the first few weeks I didn’t like the feel of my hair after using this. It felt a bit coarser and dryer and I put that down to the more intense cleaning and I didn’t really like it. After a few months, I’d say it’s gone back to normal again.

This product is apparently ideal in the pre-menopausal and menopausal stages of life. Like many products, it’s something that you can’t be sure if it’s working because you don’t know how much worse it would be if you weren’t using it.

20.07.2014 19:34

Advantages

• "Good finish"
        • "Good coverage"
        • "Quick and effective"

Disadvantages

• "There's still a lot left"

Gold Hammerite - just the thing when you want some bling

My husband buys presents for his shed. Yes, I know that sounds strange but men are strange. His most recent shed present was a weathervane with a cockerel on top. He was satisfied with it for a while and then decided it needed a bit more bling. When he needs advice on matters of bling, he asks his ‘clients’ at work - especially those from traveller community. They advised him that the best way to liven up his cockerel would be with a can of gold Hammerite so that’s what he bought from a hardware store for a few pounds.

The weathervane was supplied pre-painted with glossy black paint. Hubby rubbed it down with some ‘wet and dry’ paper to stop the new paint just sliding off the surface and after removing all the dust with a soft cloth, he set to work with his paintbrush. The can was easy to open, the paint was easy to control and went on smoothly and easily giving a good even coat. Always the thorough worker, he applied two coats, though one might well have been enough. With a whole can to use, he wasn’t in the mood to be mean with his paint. The cockerel looked splendid. Hubby was so pleased that he then decided to paint the letters on the North - South - East- West part of the vane.

The problem now is that there’s still a lot left. He’s looking for other things to bling up and the cats are looking nervous.

22.06.2014 15:07

Advantages

• "Small samples to help you decide if you want to buy the full size"

Disadvantages

• "Some very smelly products"
          • Expensive
          • "Tiny tiny amounts"

Dr Koshkha says 'No thank you' to Dr Hauschka

Today I''m reviewing the Dr Hauschka Picture Perfect Skin set of small samples. The collection comes in a metal tin and is available in two varieties - the dry to normal kit I bought and a second for oily/combination skin. Dr Hauschka are not generous with their products and you''ll find that there''s seldom enough to help you decide if these products are what you are looking to buy. It''s more than you''d get in a sachet, but several of the products are in 5g tubes and the larger ones are only 10ml. All of the products are ?natural'' and have the ?natural product'' seal of BDIH, a German Industrial association or they have a NaTrue quality label. All of the products contain kidney vetch and rose Damascena extracts which are combined with plant extracts, mineral substances, waxes and essential oi The kit contains two cleansing products ? the cleansing cream and the cleansing milk - each in 10ml tubes. The cleansing milk is a lightly fragranced, thin, white cream whilst the cleansing cream is a really odd, brown, sludgy stuff that looks a bit like a finely ground Aapri cleansing scrub and smells disgusting. This is to be used on wet skin, squeezed into the hand to make a thin sludge and then spread on the skin. It''s not intended to be used like a scrub even though it looks like one. The cleansing milk is a bit easier to get your head around and can be used to remove make up, ideally on a cotton wool pad. The third product in the tin is the facial toner. If you buy this full size it comes in a handy spray bottle but in the kit you just get a screw-top vial with 10 ml of liquid. I would suggest you use it with a cotton wool pad. This is a little more subtly scented and I quite like it, even though I''m not usually a toner user. For moisturisers, the kit includes the rose day cream, the quince day cream and one just called ?moisturising day cream'' but bizarrely there''s no night cream. Rose Day Cream is a light cream, rather tacky in texture and very rosy. For me this is just a bit too smelly to put on my face regularly. The moisturising day cream is a really thin, quickly absorbed fluid for dry and normal skin and is said to be a favourite with men. The quince day cream is the heaviest and thickest of the three and comes out of the tube looking a bit like avocado puree. This one is designed to control ?shine'' and it soaks in quickly and leaves a clean, fresh feeling. Having tested all of the products in the tin, I can confirm that I didn''t get any sensitivity, that they all felt ?ok'' and left my skin feeling clean, toned and then soft and moisturised. Using them together I had the feeling of a sensory overload from all the strong scents. Natural they may be, but they fight like cats in a bag and I felt overwhelmed by just too much natural goodness all in one go.

• Korres Wild Rose Serum / Skin Care / 14 Readings / 13 Ratings
          13.06.2014 12:11

Advantages

• " feels pleasant"
          • "Quite natural"

Disadvantages

It's OK but it's not as good as I hoped or expected

On a trip to scout around TK Maxx for bargains, I found a rather battered-looking box containing a pump dispenser of Korres Wild Rose Brightening and Line Smoothing Serum. The recommended price for a 30ml bottle of the serum is GBP30 so when I found this marked down to GBP9.99, I was happier than a dog with two tails. I was aware that the Wild Rose products were one of Korres' earliest success stories so I was expecting something quite established, quite functional but possibly a tad old fashioned.

Korres is a brand created by the Tzivanides Pharmacy in Athens which was Greece's first homeopathy-focused pharmacy and which employed George Korres, a visionary cosmetics formulator who drew on homeopathic principles and a knowledge of herbalism to create natural products with a premium positioning. The brand was founded in 1996 and has been doing well ever since.

The product is presented in an opaque white pump dispenser with a ridged lid and a dark brown panel on the front of the bottle. The bottle is quite basic in appearance with a standard pump dispenser. So far I've had no problems with the nozzle getting blocked which has been an issue with similar products. One quick depression of the pump dispenses a yellow-creamy pool of thick liquid. It's not so runny as to be uncontrollable or too thick to spread easily. I find I need about three such blobs to cover my face and neck with a thin layer of serum. It rubs in smoothly and easily and I tend to put this on before I clean my teeth so that it has dried and soaked in by the time I've finished.

My skin is left feeling soft but not tight. The instructions say you can use it under a moisturiser or alone but I wouldn't feel right with just the serum and no moisturiser to follow. I have used this with the Wild Rose 24 hour moisturising cream from the same range. I expected an intensely rosy fragrance from this serum but I was disappointed. It does have a distinctive scent, it's not one I'd associate with roses if I didn't know that was what it was supposed to be.

Korres claim this serum is ultra concentrated in vitamin C serum and that it brightens and smoothes the fine lines of face and eyes. I am unconvinced but then I struggle to get my head round the idea of skin brightening as I'm not conscious of my skin being in some way unbright. The Vit C apparently comes from the use of the wild rose oil which should have a repairing effect on skin colour disorders which I don't think I have. So perhaps I'm unreasonable to expect the serum to impact a problem I've not got. The line smoothing effect is said to be a function of polysaccharides (basically sugars) from the baobob tree combined with some kind of wheat proteins. To be honest, it all sounds like so much hokum to me but it feels OK on my skin and it's not doing any harm so I'm not going to get too het up about it.

In total 77.6% of the ingredients are claimed to be natural which fails to impress me when other manufacturers achieve much higher levels. There are no mineral oils, paraffin wax, silicones, parabens, propylene glycol, ethanolamines, SLES, ALES, synthetic dyes, phthalates, retinol, animal by-products, or nuts. There are also no polycyclic something or others that I can't read because the security label goes over the list and when I tore it off, the print came with it. The product is not tested on animals.

I don't have the sense that this serum is working wonders on my skin but equally I don't have the impression that it's doing any harm either and I will continue to use it until the bottle runs out but even at a big discount, I wouldn't rush to buy it again. I'm just unconvinced of its alleged wonder properties and can't judge its action on problems I don't have.

12.06.2014 14:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Variety is the Spice (and Slice) of Life

On Saturday my husband and I were in Derby and were given a great tip for dinner by fellow review writer catsholiday who recommended ?A Slice of India'' on Mansfield Road. I was warned that it wouldn''t look like a restaurant, that it had previously been a nightclub (although I'd say it looks rather more like a carpet warehouse), but that it was worth ignoring the outwardly unusual appearance because the food would be good.

We arrived about half past seven, parked up in the enormous car park behind, and headed in, passing the tuk tuk parked in the entrance area for decoration and for kids to play in. The lady on reception said she would take us to our table, find us a waitress and - since it was our first time - she'd do the tour and explain everything. I was quite impressed by this approach. Part of me thought "Hey, it's an all you can eat buffet, not the Louvre", but actually it was very well done. She explained the veg/non-veg layout, what special foods could be cooked to order at the dosa station, the golgappa point, the Chinese wok-area, and even told us that there was a kids area with scampi and chips and pizza for the little ones. She reassured us if there was anything we didn't understand, we could just ask and the chefs will explain. This is a place that wants you to enjoy the diversity of the food on offer and not be intimidated into hunting down the chicken tikka masala and pizzas.

I wasn''t overly hungry and we probably didn't have the appetite to take full advantage of A Slice of India but it was clear that a lot of the customers were going to install themselves at their tables and eat all night. There were - sorry if this sounds rude - some seriously enormous people who looked like they could cut into the restaurant's profits that evening.

I started with a small plate of vegetarian starters and a bit of Amritsari fish which packed a punch, especially with a big dollop of coriander and chilli chutney. For main courses, I skipped all the complicated stuff and just went for rice and a selection of the vegetarian curries. I said I wouldn't have pudding but when I went to have a look, I was transported back to India by the sight of rasmallai, carrot halwa and Indian sweets. I had the tiniest bit possible of each and loved them all.

At GBP14.50 per person on a Saturday night, it's not the cheapest of buffets but it's probably the best I've seen in this country. We drank diet Pepsis which came with unlimited refills which made them good value. For the two of us it was less than GBP35 and we left stuffed to the gills and very happy.

Note. this is adapted from a post I wrote a few days ago for Bubblews under another user name.

10.06.2014 23:34

Advantages

• "Sun protection in a non greasy formula"

Disadvantages

• "Not really special enough for the price"

Completely visibly different to the old products

I have been a fan of Elizabeth Arden skin care products, particularly their Visible Difference cream for many years before I wised up and realised that the product had become stuck in a time warp. Recently Elizabeth Arden have revamped a lot of their products, especially the Vis Dif range and when I saw a set of their next generation products ? a serum, a facial wash and this Vis Dif Skin Balancing Lotion SPF15 on sale in TK Maxx (where else?) for something like GBP 16.99, I snapped it up to see if they could drag an old favourite into the 21st century without totally ruining all that it had originally represented. The product came in a 30 ml stand up tube. If you fancy buying some, you can pick up a 50ml pump version on Amazon for GBP 30 which makes 30 ml tube worth GBP 20 and means it paid for the rest of the set with money left over. I probably shouldn't have bought this product because I have rather dry skin and this is designed for combination. However, when it comes to the summer, I am increasingly looking for lighter day creams that won't leave me looking slimy. I've been buying sunblocks for oily skin and wearing them over non-SPF light day creams just to avoid the whole basted appearance that can occur with dry skin products with high SPF. I can't say it's the right thing to do, but it works for me. Because the tube stands on its cap, the product is always easy to dispense, perhaps a bit TOO easy as I know it will drip straight out if I open it upright. The cream inside is a light, thin lotion and it smells very clean and fresh, like sheets that have been dried outdoors on a sunny day. It spreads across my skin remarkably well so only a small amount is needed and it soaks in really quickly, even when used over a serum. There is no white ?ghosting' effect left on the skin and it doesn't feel at all greasy. Although it's less heavy duty than most of my creams, it still leaves my face feeling soft and moisturised and I'm impressed by the balance it manages to strike between lightness on the skin and effective moisturising. I've not yet exposed this to really intense sunshine. I used a factor 40 or 30 face cream for my holidays in Morocco and Croatia and I wouldn't trust a mere SPF 15 cream in a place with really strong sun. However, for just running around in the UK on a sunny day, it seems to deliver what I need ? no burn, no sting, and no aggravation. I take care to keep it away from my eyes ? as I do any product with sunscreens ? but I've not had any problems with stings caused by accidentally rubbing it around the eye area.

04.06.2014 21:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Everything's coming up roses? Not with this face mask

I''ve never seen an advert for Aromatherapy Associates, but I''ve had several of their products as gifts with purchase on women''s magazines. A recent issue of Marie Claire magazine offered a set of three Aromatherapy Associates miniatures including the Rose Face Mask which was supplied in a 15ml tube. Last night I decided my skin needed a treat after the airline I travelled with at the weekend lost my luggage and left me without any of my normal supplies for two and a half days. I''d been without all my nice skin-care products and my skin was feeling a bit dry and unhappy. When my bag finally delivered, I gave my skin a really good clean with a foaming wash, rinsed the skin and patted it clean and then applied the product. I had hoped that the face mask would be a rich creamy lotion or cream but it''s not like that at all. It''s a clear, water-white gel. A little would go quite a long way but I''ve tried not to be mean with it. The first thing I notice is the cooling effect of the product on the skin which probably isn''t surprising because it contains aloe vera. I also notice the delicious and unmistakably rosy scent. The recommendation is to leave the gel on your face and neck for ten minutes and then wash off. As the time passes, the mask quickly dries and starts to feel tight on the skin. Whilst this isn''t an unpleasant feeling, it doesn''t convey to me any sensation of moisturising the skin. After rinsing, my skin still feels quite tight ? a little like the feeling you get after using soap. The gel contains aloe vera and sodium hyaluronate. I''m a big fan of hyaluronic acid and its salts and I actively look for products with these wonderful moisture binding ingredients but I''m baffled at how they could be expected to work in a wash off product. I will use what remains of the tube, but I won''t rush out to buy more ? not even the little tubes on the magazine cover. As a big fan of the Rose Triple Renew Moisturiser which had been an earlier magazine gift with purchase, I had high hopes for this mask but I was disappointed by just about everything except the lovely smell of the product. A 100 ml tube of this product would set you back GBP 37 or a couple of quid per application. I don''t think this is worth the price and I can''t recommend it if you have dry or very dry skin. The manufacturers claim it''s for ?all skin types'' but I''d suggest it''s more suitable for combination or oily skin and those who need more intense moisturisation should probably give this one a miss.

18.03.2014 10:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

An apple a day.....

~My top find~

During my six month subscription to the Birchbox beauty box scheme, I received a few good samples, quite a lot of stuff I didn't want and subsequently gave away, but sadly not too many life-changing products or ones I thought I'd want to buy again. With Birchbox you can earn 'points' by answering questionnaires about the products that you've received and around Christmas time, I'd earned £20-worth of points and was determined to spend them before my subscription ran out. The only product I'd had up to that point which had really wowed me - and which wasn't a lot more expensive than my £20 target - was the Akane Mask Cocoon Nocturne which I'd received in my second month's box. My original small sample had lasted me a really long time and I thought a full sized 30ml pot at £18 was a good way to spend my points. Would I have parted with £18 of my own hard-earned money rather than a bunch of points? Maybe, but I'm not entirely sure.

Akane Mask Cocoon Nocturne is something I had never seen before - an overnight mask that you apply before bedtime and wash off in the morning.

~Because She's Worth It~

The Akane range of skincare products are the creation of a French woman called Aline Foulet who worked for L'Oreal for ten years before starting her own company. What she did at L'Oreal, I'm not sure but all the publicity about her products seems to mention her past employers, perhaps as a way of saying "You've never heard of her but look who she worked for".

The story goes that Foulet went to Japan and found the Akane apple tree which is high in antioxidants and has a history of use in anti-ageing products. Following organic principles, Foulet created a range of products that have organic certification from both Cosmebio and Ecocert organisations.
                The active ingredients are Akane apple and leaf extracts with rosehip oil, hyaluronic acid and a black tea extract called kombuchka which I suspect is the stuff that used to be in the rather nice fizzy drink of the same name a few years ago. The mask is claimed to protect the skin from stress, pollution and free radicals, and to nourish and regenerate the skin. It should be used overnight and it's also recommended for use on long haul flights - though quite what your seat neighbours are going to think of you whilst you're using it is another matter.

~How to use it~

Opening the tub the first thing to hit me is a blast of fresh juicy apple scent that reflects the high content of apple-derived essences and oils. There's also rosehip oil in there so the combination of apple and rosehips is delicious. Touching the mask the first time, I was reminded of a soft and spreadable chewing gum. It's not a cream, it's not a gel - it really is like gum crossed with silly putty and then warmed up to soften it. It's quite difficult to actually get a piece of this off the body of gooey gummy mass. Take the tiniest bit you can and spread it thinly across clean skin, avoiding the eye area and then let it dry before you go to bed. You'll probably feel the mask start to tighten as it dries. Next morning just wash it off but whatever you do DON'T forget to wash it off or you'll look like you let glue dry all over your face and then it cracked up. It's not an attractive look. Also take really good care to get it all off as I've found myself with little bits of dried on mask still stuck to my face in the evening or even stuck in my hair. I recommend to use this when you know you'll have time for a shower and a really good face wash in the morning.
                When I started using this I loved the way it felt but I wasn't entirely convinced that it was really giving me the moisturising effects that it promised and I felt that this mask on its own - especially when I was using so little - might not be giving me as much moisture as a normal night cream. I asked on the Birchbox facebook page about whether I was supposed to use this on its own or over a night cream. They recommended that if I didn't feel it was good enough on its own, I should use it over a serum that contained hyaluronic acid since the mask contained only a small amount of that ingreident. I have since tried it with several such serums and I do think I get an enhanced effect although the drying and flaking of the mask which happens when it's used on its own is much reduced with another layer between it and the skin. I also find it much easier to get the mask off when it's used this way. If you have oily or combination skin, you may well be fine just using the mask on its own but I prefer a bit more hyaluronic acid.

~Does it work?~

I would struggle to tell you that this mask somehow erases all sort of signs of ageing and environmental stress but I think it's naive to believe most of the claims made by skin cream manufacturers and I am always pretty sceptical. I would say though that what I'm mostly looking for in a product like this is for it to make my skin feel 'treated' and indulged and it does deliver on that. The weird way it dries on your skin means that this is something I usually use when I'm not at home - I don't mind if the goop flakes off on hotel pillowcases and I do wonder what my husband would think if he woke up next to me with dried flakey stuff all over my face and looking like I've developed a nasty skin condition overnight. I recommend this for people who live alone, stay in hotels a lot, or have partners with short sight and poor bedroom lighting.

Akane Cocoon Night Mask is fun to use, lasts a really long time and it makes my skin feel good - especially if used with a serum underneath. I also like that I've never come across anything like it before and I enjoy the novelty of using it.

14.03.2014 12:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

One of a kind. He'll be missed by those who loved him and those who

I wasn't planning to post this today but the first thing I heard when I woke up was that Tony Benn had died. It seemed to me that lots of Dooyoo members might not even know who he was or be interested in his passing. This is my little attempt to record a small taste of what Benn was about. I hope it helps to explain to those who never knew him why the media are giving him so much time. He was truly one of a kind.

~Mr Benn~

When the opportunity arose to get a pre-publication copy of Tony Benn's final diaries, A Blaze of Autumn Sunshine, my hand shot up quicker than my brain could actually process what I'd just done. I've long been an admirer of this controversial political giant, egged on no doubt by my grandfather who considered him some kind of living god, but was I really in the market for a politician's diary? What if it turned out to be drier than dust and deadly dull? Didn't I already have three volumes of Alan Clarke's diaries on my shelf, still unopened many years after his death? How on earth would I find something to write about in a review if all he did was bang on about politics? Silly me. Tony Benn couldn't be boring if he tried to and his latest book - his last set of diaries - is witty, entertaining and always deeply human.

Benn is lauded as one of the great diarists of his era but most of the contents of this book were never actually written down by him. Instead he has for many years been recording his thoughts on audio tape and then trusting his friend and editor, Ruth Winstone, to pull them into a readable shape. Perhaps it's this origin as spoken rather than written word which helps the reader to feel as if Tony Benn is speaking to them rather than writing at them. At the age of 88, he no longer has anything to prove to anyone and what we see is a man entirely at ease with who and what he is, who and what he has been, and still fighting for the underdogs and the downtrodden, even at a time when he's barely able to get himself out of bed some mornings.

~It Can't be Easy Getting Old~

This is a book about reminiscing, about getting on and adding every day to his list of life's achievements, but also about taking stock and recognising what he can't do any more. The main diaries cover the period 2007 to 2009, a time when Benn and his old-style Labour politics were hard to find in Britain. He loathed Tony Blair and his 'New Labour' and in the early chapters before Blair's resignation, one of the most used phrases is "It's an outrage!" Blair's behaviour gave Benn plenty to get aerated about. He quite liked Gordon Brown but could see that his days were numbered.

We live with Benn through the military action in Iraq and Afghanistan which he deeply and passionately opposed. We also accompany him through the economic meltdown of the global economy which he feared but at the same time seemed to have expected and to almost welcome for its ability to restart a new order. Repeatedly he wonders how it is that money can be found to rescue banks and wage wars but not to build hospitals or support British trade. We wonder how a man in his 80s can leap out of bed in the small hours of the morning, grab a taxi to the station, travel to the other end of the country for a protest march or to give a few speeches, then travel all the way back again, arriving after midnight. He often tells us he's tired and it's not surprising - men half his age would balk at his workload.

~The Man and his Clan~

I enjoyed his stories about friends and family and his clear love and pride in the achievements of both. His son Hilary was a minister during the period of the diaries and despite being part of Tony Blair's inner circle and part of the deplorable 'New Labour' ways, Tony Benn is always supportive of his boy. His granddaughter wants to stand as an MP despite still being in her teens and Tony only hints in passing that he has to be a little careful what he says as her political interpretations of Labour are rather different than his. He also knows anyone who's anyone in the world of trade unions and civil rights, name dropping the great and the good from Nelson Mandela to Billy Bragg, via Shami Chakrabarti.

Benn's support of old Labour ways comes through in his tireless campaigning and attendance at campaigns and meetings all over the country. He also goes to Glastonbury every year, musing that it makes little difference who the audience are, the reactions to his speeches seem to be pretty much the same. As one of the few people old enough to remember some of the great events of Trade Union history, he's not one to ever pass up a chance to honour the dead of the labour movement. He'll turn up for an interview with the BBC and a slew of international television and radio stations to comment on just about anything that happens in the world and he'll churn out a speech at the drop of the hat. Often he'll tell us that he thinks the interview or speech seemed to be well received but it never feels like arrogance.

~Loving and Losing~

Perhaps the saddest passages in the book are those where he reminisces about the loss of his wife, the woman he was married to for 6 decades and to whom he proposed on a park bench in Oxford - later buying the bench and moving it to his garden. He tells us often that he thinks he won't live much longer, that nothing seems to work properly any more, that he's up every few hours in the night with prostate troubles and having tests all the time for various health problems. He loves the National Health Service and praises it at every chance, also reminding readers that the NHS would not survive with the tireless work of the very immigrants that the BNP and UKIP would love to 'send home'. Benn's socialism is of a type I can relate to and I cannot help but like this man and think it might be time to track down his diaries from his younger years.

He's bright, bubbly, always on the ball and always capturing the minutiae of life that we might otherwise miss. One moment he's flying off to chat to ex-President Jimmy Carter, the next he's mentioning that Michael Jackson's death was all over the papers. I was so into the political vibe that my first thought was "General Sir Mike Jackson's dead?" and then I realised he meant the OTHER Michael Jackson. He has lots of friends in the political and media worlds, flirts with Natasha Kaplinsky, Kate Silverton and Saffron Burrows, takes phone calls from Kofi Annan, and spends a lot of time in Pizza Express and Starbucks. Not so much as 'champagne socialist' as a 'latte labourite' and a 'pizza pacifist'.

~An End to a Lifetime of Writing~

The diaries stop in 2009 when a hospital operation doesn't go as expected and he's bedridden for a period. He stops writing and when he's well again, he's lost the taste for keeping a diary. In his final chapter he brings us up to date on the changes of those intervening years, reflecting on the new Conservative government, the Coalition and even the death of Margaret Thatcher - a leader he seems to soften to a little after suffering years of Tony Blair's leadership.

The main thing you'll take away from A Blaze of Autumn Sunshine will probably be the energy, the passion, and the warmth of this man. Whether the flavour of his particular brand of politics aligns with your own is not important - he's a British institution, a political giant and has a personality that's larger than life. He cannot live forever, nobody can, but I'm inspired by this book to want to go and buy his earlier diaries. I can think of no more pleasant way to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of 20th Century political history.

~Details~

A Blaze of Autumn Sunshine by Tony Benn
                  Published by Hutchinson, December 2013
                  With thanks to the publishers for providing a review copy and to www.curiousbookfans.co.uk where an earlier version of this review appears.

Not to be reproduced without the written consent of the review's author.

11.03.2014 14:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good way to increase your water consumption without spending a fortune

~Drink More?~

I suspect most people think that they ought to drink more water than they actually do. I would guess that many put 'Drink more water' on their New Year's Resolution lists and some may have thought about buying something like the Brita Fill and Go bottle. Let's be honest, water is one of life's essentials but it's a bit boring and forcing yourself to drink more of it can be a drag. Tea, coffee, cola - whatever your chosen poison, it's not easy to cut back on the stimulants and boost your intake of water so anything that can help you do that has to be a good thing. Or does it? One such product that is designed to help is the Brita Fill and Go bottle.

The problem as I see it is that there's an awful lot of tosh out there about the pros and cons of drinking more water. For every health and beauty 'guru' swearing you'll radiate health and vitality and drop a few pounds from running back and forth between the water cooler and the loo, there's a cynic pointing out that too much water (as is the case with too much anything) can kill you. People love to tell you about horrendous things happening to people who go too far. But we're sensible folk, we're not going to burst our bladders or knock our electrolyte balance out of whack by overdoing it - we're just Joe and Joanne public, looking to drink more water but confused by reports about nasty chemicals leaching out of bottled water if it's stored too long, or worrying over the quality of their local tap water. Bottled water is controversial stuff, contributing shocking amounts of plastic waste to landfill and costing silly amounts of water. If your New Year's resolution about water was a financial one - a drive to cut back on the money you spend on bottled drinks, this might well be something you'd want to investigate.

~A good idea - but a poor interpretation~

Brita have tried to tap into what is undoubtedly a genuine consumer need to find easier ways to drink more water without costing a fortune. They got that bit right at least. What they've done with the Fill and Go bottle is to create a safe-to-use water container that uses Brita's famous filtration technology to upgrade the quality of your finest tap water. It's a pretty easy idea to get your head round. Instead of filtering your water at home and then having to find something to put it in to take it with you on the move, they've made a bottle with the filter built into the cap and it sounds like genius.

I bought my Brita Fill and Go in the Salisbury branch of TK Maxx in November 2013 ago and it's seen a lot of action ever since. They come in a range of colours but mine is pink because it was the only colour they had in the shop at that time. If I'm honest, it was the colour I would have picked if there had been a choice. I had been looking at these bottles for a long time online without ever getting around to buying one, but seeing one 'in the flesh' persuaded me to part with my money. I paid £10, give or take a penny, which was as good as any price I'd seen on-line and considerably cheaper than most websites were offering.

The bottle is big - considerably bigger than I'd expected - and it holds up to 600 ml. That's a little more than a pint or a little less than two cans of Coke. However, the bottle seems even bigger because the cap is quite bulky. It's worth keeping this in mind if you want to carry the bottle around with you because it's a lot more bulky than a neat little half litre bottle of commercially sold mineral water. You need a large handbag if you're going to pop one of these in it and I wouldn't advise to just shove it in a backpack or a work bag if you can't be sure to keep it upright as it isn't as watertight as I would like it to be.

The bottle came with a pack of four filters and the advice from the manufacturers is to replace the filter every week. I don't do that because when I use it at work I'm filling it with water that's already been filtered, and most weeks I'm away from home and only using it at the weekend. The best price I've found for the filters is £6.80 for 8 on Play.com which means that even if you do change it every week, it's going to cost less than a £1 a week - or look at it another way, less than a single bottle of shop-bought water.

~Ready, get set, (fill and) go!~

To set up the bottle the first time, you simply open one of the filters from the box, run it under the tap to remove any dust, and then unscrew the top of the bottle and pop it inside the cap. The cap comes in two parts and if yours is anything like mine there's no effort involved to separate the two parts because they keep falling apart the moment I screw the lid off. The lower part of the cap is the coloured section and it has a circular pit into which the filter fits. Attached to the bottom of this part of the cap is a long, quite wide 'straw'. I think that the pink part ought to click firmly into the other part of the cap but it doesn't and I am irritated almost every time I have to fill the bottle and the cap falls apart. If I'm really unlucky, sometimes I can't get it to align properly first time and I have to make several attempts to get the water to 'suck' through the filter.

I like the fact that the water is freshly filtered as you drink. The act of sucking on the sport's cap pulls the water up the straw and through the filter. Apparently you can remove the straw and drink from the bottle by just tipping it up but when I've tried that I've been well and truly dribbled on so I gave up really quickly and put the straw back in again. The bottle fits perfectly into my cup holder in the car and that's where a lot of my water gets drunk. It has helped me to cut right back on the amount of diet Coke I was previously drinking whilst I drive. At work I found keeping the bottle on my desk really helped when I had a horrible cough and I set myself a target of drinking two or three fill-ups per day. It's certainly easier to drink more water when you've got something like this to hand rather than running back and forth to the cooler.

~Tasty, tasty?~

One of the main reasons for me to buy the bottle was that the flat where I live when I'm working has horrendously poor water. I don't know why it's so bad but I suspect it doesn't help that the location is so close to the salt mines of Cheshire. The main storage depot for the salt that's used for gritting the nation's roads is a mile or two up the road which means the roads around that area are always clear in the winter because the gritters got back and forth but the water is a disaster. It's so poor that my husband says he can't even drink fruit squash that's made with the tap water and I can't drink it 'raw'. I hoped the filter bottle would help and it does - slightly. I cannot say that it makes the water 'nice' but it makes it less awful than normal.

~Recommended?~

As an 'on the go' bottle - which the name 'Fill and Go' surely implies - this product has some serious design flaws. It will fill and go in my car in the cup holder but it won't go in anything other than a large handbag and it needs to be kept upright. As a bottle that you 'Don't fill and go' but which you take with you and fill when you get there, it's absolutely fine and dandy but I don't really think that's what the product is supposed to be. If that's how you want to use it then it's going to be fine but if you imagine yourself running around with water at your beck and call, then it may well disappoint. I like that it's BPA-free and so safe to use but some days I'm ready to chuck it out of the window for the frustration it causes with the cap that falls apart every time you try to fill the bottle. It improves the water at my flat a bit but not completely but I suspect that's a challenge beyond the capabilities of anything other than boiling the nasties out of every single drop that comes out of the tap.

So do I recommend? Yes and no. Yes if you want a way to encourage yourself to drink more water at home, in the office or wherever, but No if you want to be able to take it with you wherever you go. The leaking and the falling apart are two very basic failures for a product of this type. Brita really did make a few bad boo-boos with the design and I hope they give it another go and create something that can not only filter water, but can also keep it inside the bottle.