ladyradley

ladyradley
  • Comments

Member since: 29.06.2011

05.12.2014 22:00

Advantages

• "very good"

Disadvantages

• none

a very good shave

I bought this shaving gel from Tesco's when I ran out of the brand I normally use. It was a quick purchase and I'm glad I bought it as it is very good.

+++ what you get +++
      This is a large shaving gel can. I usually use a foam so I wasn't sure how the gel would work but it's very good. It is sensitive too which is good as I tend to get rashes if I shave without a foam/gel being sensitive. It is in a blue can and it doesn't look too special but it's perfectly fine.

+++ Using it +++
      You need to give this a good shake first and then you squeeze it out using a nozzle which then pushes it out. It is blue and when you rub it into your skin it froths up a bit making shaving easy. When I use this it's very easy to shave, it helps me to run my razor through it and take the hair away without it catching or pulling. It gives a good shave.

+++ result +++
      At the end of using this I find that my legs feel very smooth and also soft. It is as though the gel has helped to moisturise too which is great, I wasn't expecting that! It's really lovely to use.

+++ conclusion +++
      I only bought this in a rush and i'm glad I did as it's great and I now buy it regularly. IT gives a good shave which leaves your legs very smooth indeed.

• Tesco Cushioned Plasters / First Aid / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      05.12.2014 18:20

Advantages

• "Help protect"

Disadvantages

• "don't stick too well"

They are OK.

I bought these plasters recently from Tesco's for my medicine box as we are always using them for various scrapes that the grandchildren have.

+++ What you get +++
      This is a box which contains 20 plasters. These come in two sizes, small and thin and thick and long so you should have something for all evantualities. They are 'cushioned' by this it means that they have a little bit more padding over the sore area which can help keep it from being sore if you bang it and so forth. They are supposedly water proof.

+++ Using them +++
      When I use these I find that they are easy to apply. They have little white strips which you pull off and then it reveals the plaster. They stick well at first and bend around joints easily. The little protected area is small, I always find that the area that is protected is never quite big enough, it would be better to have more of the cushion and less of the actual sticky part. They do help protect but they don't stick that well after a while, it is as though the stickiness wears off.

+++ Conclusion +++
      These plasters are quite good as they provide a good cushion and protection for any sores. They do let me down though because they don't seem to be sticky enough. We still use them as they are not too bad but I've definitely had better. I don't find that these are waterproof.

• Sainsbury's Cotton Wool Pads / Make Up / 8 Readings / 7 Ratings
      30.11.2014 19:26

Advantages

• "Remove make up"

Disadvantages

• "break up"

Won't be using it again.

I like to use cotton wool pads to help with cleansing and removing make up. I bought these from Sainsbury's but I must admit that I was a little disappointed in them.

+++ What you get +++
      You get a plastic tube of cotton wool pads. These are al tightly compacted in the packaging and you can fasten it again with a little draw string which is quite useful. The pads are about 7c, across and quite thick.

+++ In use +++
      I use these for removing make up, cleansing and also for removing nail varnish remover when I need to. Sadly, however, these are not very good. They are really thick which I thought was a good thing but actually they seem to shred. As you use them bits of cotton wool come away and this can be really messy especially when removing nail varnish as it seems to stick to your nails. They absorb really well which is good although sometimes this means that they also break up, it's really hard to judge whether it's too much water or just the thickness of them which make them break up.

+++ conclusion +++
      Although these are quite useful for taking make up off they are not the best which is such a let down as Sainsbury's is usually very good quality. They just break up too much and leave shreds of cotton wool all over your face which isn't very good. I still use them but I won't be buying them again.

30.11.2014 15:39

Advantages

• "A lovely shade"

Disadvantages

• "bit basic"

4 out of 5

I bought this pressed powder as I like to put a layer of powder on over my foundation to help lighten my skin tone a little. I chose this one because it was cheap but also because it looked to be the right shade for my skin.

+++ What you get +++
      You get a compact of pressed powder. This is around 8cm across and the lid is see through so you can see what is inside. The lid is basic- there is no mirror within it so you do need to carry an extra one with you if you want to use it on the go. It comes with a little sponge which you use to apply it.

+++ Using it +++
      The lid lifts off easily, a bit too easily as it can easily fall off in my make up bag. I then use the sponge to lift the powder off and then sweep it around my face. If you brush it on lightly then you don't smudge any foundation or anything.

+++ Effect +++
      The effect of this powder is skin which looks a slightly more natural colour than if you just put foundation on with nothing over the top. I think it looks lovely especially if you only use a small amount. It seems to last the day too and will be removed with wipes easily.

+++ conclusion +++
      Although the packaging itself is a little basic the powder itself works OK and does the job I need it to so therefore it gets 4 out of 5 from me!

30.11.2014 13:58

Advantages

• Lovely

Very lovely

I love The Body Shop and have bought many of their items over the years. One of my favourite of their products is their body butter and this mango one is delicious!

+++ What you get +++
      This body butter comes in a round, flat tub and is a yellow-orange colour. It has a picture of mangos on the label which is on the top of the lid. It looks very similar to the other body butters you can get it's just the picture which is different and the shade of yellow.

+++ using it +++
      The body butter is very dense and using it is straight forward. The lid unscrews which can be a bit tricky at times for me with my stiff fingers as the lid is quite big so getting my hand to fit around it all and also grip it is sometimes a problem but that's only because I have stiff joints. The butter is dense and so you need to put your fingers in and scoop some out. Once it is on your skin it begins to get much softer which makes massaging it into the skin easier. The smell is delicious of lovely sweet mangoes. It's really lovely!

+++ Result +++
      The result is skin which feels nice and soft and any dry areas are much better within a matter of minutes. I like to massage this into my heals and it seems to really help them a lot. I also think that my skin looks more healthy too.

+++ conclusion +++
      A really lovely body butter which smells nice, is easy to put on and is really very special. I love the effect it has on my skin and highly recommend it. My tub cost me £10

30.11.2014 08:55

Advantages

• "Nice colour"

Disadvantages

• "hard to apply"

Not good

I bought this eye liner as it was cheap and I needed a new one. I bought it in black and I thought it would be fine.

+++ What it looks like +++
      This is a standard looking eye liner pencil which has dark blue casing and then inside it's a kohl pencil. It comes very sharp and then you need to sharpen it as you wear it down.

+++ Using it +++
      Using it is difficult. One reason is that when it comes to sharpening it, often the pencil around the kohl seems to split and this is very sharp and you obviously you don't want something really sharp near your eye. Sometimes you can catch it on your eye and it's painful. Also, I find that it doesn't really draw on properly, I feel like I need to go over and over the same line to get it to work.

+++ Effect +++
      The effect of this eye liner is OK. It isn't anything special and it isn't as dark as others unless you have gone over it many times but by then your skin feels a bit sore so this isn't very appealing. It doesn't last a long time either so that's disappointing. Maybe I just got a bad one I don't know.

+++ conclusion +++
      This is having 2 stars because it is better than nothing but it isn't good at all in terms of application, sharpening or even what it looks like in the end.

29.11.2014 21:38

Advantages

• "Very reasonable"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't last"

Lovely!

I bought a few lipsticks from Collection 2000 they were really cheap and I couldn't resist them. I bought them in a couple of shades- a deep red, a coral and a pastel pink.

They don't look expensive but that's fine by me! It comes in a typical lipstick tube with a see through top. To use it you just unscrew the lid and then screw the lip stick upwards. It's really easy to do as it's very smooth so no effort required I suppose the only difficult thing is not unscrewing it too much so you end up with too much lip stick out! My granddaughter did this and managed to break the top of the lip stick off by mistake.

Applying it is easy, it's slightly shaped which makes it really smooth to put on, it followed the shape of your lips nicely and makes getting into the corners of your lips easy.

The colours are lovely, the deep red is my favourite one, it's really nice and if I add a little lip gloss over the top it's a wonderful effect.

My only criticism is that this doesn't have lasting power. After a drink it's gone and that's a shame but at least you can easily reapply it without too much trouble.

I like this lip stick collection, it's very reasonable and you get a good choice of shades to use. It is easy to apply so that makes up for the fact that it doesn't have very good staying power.

• Vaseline Lip Therapy / Make Up / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      29.11.2014 09:10

Advantages

• "very good"

Disadvantages

• none

Highly recommended

I like to keep my lips from getting sore in the cold months and this is one product that I can always rely upon to work well and not let me down.

+++ What you get +++
      This is a little tin which is about 4cm across and it contains Vaseline jellly which is a dense moisturising product that really helps to keep those chapped lips at bay. The little tin is dark blue and white and is perfect for keeping in your handbag.

+++ Using it +++
      To use it you just pull the lid off- this can be tricky if you have wet hands but it's usually fine. You then just use a bit of the jelly to put on your lips. I tend to use a very small amount as I find it doesn't take much at all to work. It gives your lips a little shimmer and may look a bit greasy for about ten minutes or so.

+++ Effect +++
      I find that as soon as this goes on my lips that I get an instant relief from any soreness. It helps right away which is amazing! It works as a prevantative also as if I haven't got any sores but know it is going to be cold I put some on and my lips remain well.

+++ Conclusion +++
      This is a brilliant product that will help keep your lips nice and healthy. I find that it is the best product of this kind and highly recommend it.

• Boots No7 Colour Perfect Shadows / Make Up / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      28.11.2014 22:02

Advantages

• "Lovely colour"

Disadvantages

• none

Very pleased

I like my eye shadows I have quite a few to try to 'blend' them and they are all from different brands. This one comes from No7 which I bought from Boots and it is lovely.

+++ What it looks like +++
      This comes in an oval shaped compact which has a little window in it so you can see the eyeshadow inside without having to open it. It has a little applicator in the compact too. I have several colours including an olive green and a dark grey.

+++ Using it +++
      They are easy to apply, the little applicator within the compact is a good size and it works nicely. The sponge on the end of it is soft so applying it is nice. I have had an applicator before which is scratchy so wasn't nice but these are fine. The shadow comes away easily and then rubs off the aplicator well too so no having to press on hard or go over and over your eye lid.

+++ Effect +++
      It is a lovely eye shadow. The effect is nice, it's quite smooth so you can blend it easily with other colours which can make it look casual for day time or more smokey for the evenings. It stays on well too usually at the end of the day I still have some remaining.

+++ Conclusion +++
      I am very happy with this brand of eye shadows and continue to add to my collection. The quality is lovely and I am very pleased with it.

28.11.2014 20:25

Advantages

• "Really works well"

Very reliable.

In the winter months or when I do cleaning I have very sore, chapped hands so I like to use a hand cream to try to prevent the sores as much as I can. This is one of my favourite ones.

=== What is it? ===
      It is a handcream which comes in a little tube and it helps to keep your hands nice and moist which stops the likeliness of your skin ending up sore and cracked.

=== Using it ===
      This comes in a little tube which is perfect to fit in your handbag and it's easy to squeeze out. The lit is a screw cap, a flip one would be better as your hands get a bit greasy using it but it's easy enough to get out of the tube. I use a small amount an rub it in my fingers and hands. It takes a minute or so to absorb, it's not very long at all. It doesn't have a smell and that's good as I don't like my hands to smell of scents.

=== The effect ===
      This is wonderful. If I already have sore hands then it helps to soothe them quickly and also helps to clear up the dry skin. If I don't already have any problems then it helps to keep my hands moist and soft. I find if i don't use it then my fingers get very sore and cracked.

=== Conclusion ===
      A wonderful hand cream that really works. It is very simple and that is fine as it does the job it is supposed to do and I find it very reliable indeed.

• Clinique Face Soap / Soaps / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
        28.11.2014 12:00

Advantages

• "Very gentle"

Disadvantages

• none

Lovely

I was bought this lovely little soap as part of a gift set a year or so ago and it is just lovely, it's only small but it's big enough to love!

+++ What is it? +++
        This is a little soap from the brand Clinique who are a lovely beauty brand that tend to be quite expensive. Whenever I receive a Clinique gift I feel like I have been treated!

+++ What you get +++
        This comes in a little plastic case which you can use as a way to store it if you don't want to leave it on the side of your sink, it's also great if you want to transport it if you go to a hotel and want to take it with you. The soap is rectangular and a pale cream with the word 'Clinique' stamped across it.

+++ Using it +++
        This soap has a very pleasant smell of, well of soap, it isn't anything particular but it's lovely and clean smelling. I tend to rub this onto my flannel and add a little water to it and it creates a bit of lather. It's very gentle on my face and I feel as though it has washed me well.

+++ Effect +++
        After using this my skin feels nice and clean and is left looking nice. I don't get any irritations to it and it's really very lovely.

+++ conclusion +++
        I like this soap because it's very simple but a little goes a long way- you don't need to use a lot at all and just adding a bit of water helps it to go further. I really like how gentle this is and use it regularly.

28.11.2014 11:03

Advantages

• "helps sensitivity"

Disadvantages

• "no whitening difference"

It's good

I have very sensitive teeth, to the point that eating cold foods and citrus foods can make my eyes water. I have tried various sensitive tooth pastes. Some work well, others not so well.

+++ What is it? +++
        This is a sensitive tooth paste which also claims to whiten your teeth too. It comes in a tube and is easy to squeeze out.

+++ Using it +++
        This is an easy tooth paste to use as you just squeeze it out onto your toothbrush. I use a small ball sized amount. It tastes minty but not in avery strong way, it's strong enough to make you have fresh breath but it's not a burning kind of strong!

+++ Result +++
        The result is my teeth feel a lot better in terms of their sensitivity. I find it has a cumulative effect so after a few days of using this my teeth are much better and are able to tolerate cold foods again. I have, however, found that my teeth don't appear to look any different so I don't think that the whitening element is particulary successful here.

+++ Conclusion +++
        This is a good tooth paste for helping sensitive teeth. It is also very good at giving you clean and fresh breath. The mint is a good amount so not too sharp, not too subtle. The whitening element isn't very reliable though! I continue to use this as if I change to a different one I notice my teeth hurting again.

27.11.2014 21:47

Advantages

• "cooling and soothing"

Disadvantages

• none

Wonderful

This is a wonderful foot lotion which I adore. I first bought it a couple of years ago and always make sure I have a bottle of it in my cupboard.

+++ What is it? +++
        This is a foot lotion that helps to cool your feet down and keep them hydrated. It is a lovely product.

+++ Looks +++
        The bottle isn't the most special looking but it is fine for me. It is tall and round and has a blue and green label on it. The label shows a foot print so you can see quite easily that this is a product for the feet.

+++ Using it +++
        This product is very easy to use. The lotion squeezes out of the bottle with ease and then I massage it into my feet or have my husband do it. It feels instantly cooling and soothing. It helps to cool my feet down when it's hot. It is easy enough to massage in and it takes a few minutes to absorb which is lovely and relaxing. The smell is lovely, it's peppermint and this smells very fresh.

+++ result +++
        My feet feel instantly cool and soothed. When I use this on a hot day it's a lovely welcome feeling. My feet also remain in good condition too. My heals can get a little dry but this soon clears that up.

+++ Conclusion +++
        A really wonderful product that helps to keep feet at their best. We should take good care of our feet seeing as we stand up on them all day! I always feel very refreshed and soothed after using this product. Just wonderful.

27.11.2014 19:07

Advantages

• "LOvely and exoliating"

Disadvantages

• none

Lovely gift

A couple of Christmasses ago my daughter bought me this cranberry joy body polish. It was part of a special Christmas range and it was just lovely, I got a lip balm in this 'flavour' too.

I wasn't too sure what a body polish is but it's a bit like an exfoliator ad it leaves the skin feeling really fresh and clean and it also seems to make you look healthier which gives a shine so I can see why it's called a polish.

This comes in a lovely tube which is deep red. It has a golden lid and you can tell it is Christmassy.

+++ using it +++
        It is easy to open the lid as it's a flip cap and then squeezing out the polish is easy. It's quite gloopy with little tiny bits in which help to exfoliate. I massage this into my body and it feels nice and soft, the little exfoliating bits are only small so it's not too rough on my skin. Afterwards I rinse off.

+++ Effect +++
        After using many exfoliating products my skin feels dry but not with this, it seems to moisturise too which is just lovely. The finished result is lovely skin which feels very soft and my skin seems to shine, it is lovely. The scent stays on my skin too which is a lovely one of cranberries.

+++ Conclusion +++
        I would definitely recommend this and buy it again. It's gentle on the skin and has a lovely effect. It is really lovely and makes a wonderful gift.

27.11.2014 15:15

Advantages

• "smells lovely"

Disadvantages

• "Bubbles don't last long"

Smells divine!

I adore Body Shop products and i also adore having baths so this is a good combination for me.

My daughter bought me this as a gift and it is lovely. i like fruity smelling products.

I have various Body Shop goodies and this is one which I really like, the smell is the best thing about it, it really is just lovely.

This comes in a lovely bottle which is see through so looks lovely with the sunshine shining through it as it's rich red inside. I love having this on my windowsill, it really lights up the room!

You need to put a good glug of this into the bath. If you only put a bit then you won't be able to get many bubbles. A good glug is usually sufficient and you need to give the bath a good stir too to get them going! If you don't then don't expect many bubbles!

It is lovely. The scent of strawberries fills the room and it's lovely it is good enough to eat/drink! The scent stays throughout the bath too which is wonderful. The bubbles don't last all the way through though they tend to burst quite quickly which is a shame. The water is also slightly coloured pink too.

I love using this and my grandchildren like it too I think they like the fact the water goes pink! It is a wonderful product. I use it as a bubble bath not as a shower gel so I cannot comment on how it works as a showergel but it certainly smells divine!