lak11

• Comments

Member since: 23.01.2010

• JVC HA-S160-R-E / Headphones / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      28.05.2015 23:31

Advantages

• "Reasonably priced "

Disadvantages

Good enough for the price

Just before last Christmas my husband said that he wanted some new headphones. We do have several pairs in the home but he wanted some that weren't too big and were comfortable to wear.

As my children had asked for present ideas I suggested these and they were bought as a part of his present.
      They were purchased from Amazon.

My husband often uses the headphones attached to his smartphone to watch football when I, or someone else in the home, might be watching something on the television and we can’t have the volume going on two things at the same time.

These headphones are also good when using the computer or playing our digital piano.
      The headphones are comfortable to wear as they are slim and not too heavy. And they are nicely padded around the ear without being too bulky.

I would say that for sound quality they are not going to be the best headphones but then neither are they the most expensive. These are reasonably priced headphones and I think that for their price the sound is probably better than I would have expected. I would say that for cheaper headphones the sound is reasonable.

The headphones swivel and can be turned so that they lay flat and then the cord can be wrapped around them. This is a useful feature for packing the headphones into a bag or case for easy portability. It also means that they can be stored tidily in the home.

Another feature is that of the noise-cancelling. Outside noise is reduced when wearing these.

Prices vary for these headphones but they should cost around £10.

• Toshiba 22D1333B / LCD TV / 15 Readings / 15 Ratings
      26.05.2015 23:39

Advantages

• "Many features "
      • "Built in DVD player"

Disadvantages

A Great TV with DVD

It must have been at least a year ago (probably longer but time flies!) that my small bedroom television set was no longer watch-able.
      We don’t HAVE to have a TV in this room but it is handy when I'm getting ready in the morning and want to have the news and weather on. Also, it’s nice to watch TV in bed if you’re feeling unwell.
      And I’ll admit there’s times when hubby is sent to watch football upstairs if a rally important programme such as “Poldark” is being shown on the big television set in the living room.
      The last TV was one of those very old fashioned bulky TV sets with a Freeview box resting on top. It took up a lot of space.

When it came to choosing a new TV set we decided that we wanted something slimmer and much more up to date looking than the previous set.
      We chose a brand that we like and this was Toshiba. Our living room TV is a Toshiba. We purchased this set from a Tesco superstore but I cannot remember how much we paid. It would probably have e been around £140.

A 22 inch screen seemed to be big enough as our last bedroom telly was considerably smaller than this. But if I were to choose right now I might go for a slightly bigger screen size.
      This set looks smart with its black surround. We have it fixed to a wall bracket.
      It is useful to have the built in DVD player although it isn’t used very often.
      The picture is good on this set and I am pleased with the sound quality.

SPECIFICATIONS
      This TV has the usual features plus many desirable ones such as a headphone socket, child lock, alarm and many more. I have listed just a few of many.

DVD player
      Motion rate 50Hz
      Viewing angle 178/178 degrees
      Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels

26.05.2015 21:15

Advantages

• "Cheap "

Disadvantages

• "Not enriching enough"

Smells nice but not much else good to say about it

I have used Alberto Balsam shampoo and the matching conditioner a few times. I like to use the same brand and type of shampoo in the one hair care session and usually manage to do this. Sometimes I run out of conditioner before the shamppoo. I often buy extra conditioners to ake up for this and sometimes I buy a cheap conditioner to use when I have run out of a more favoured brand of conditioner.

I don't really find any versions of Alberto Balsam shampoo and conditioner to be that good personally although it is fair to say that someare better than others.

Regarding Alberto Balsam Mandarin conditioner, I haven't got very many positive things to say about it. But these are a few...It is very cheap. This conditioner mostly can be found on supermarket and chemist shelves for around the one pound mark but it can also be found quite often selling for less than one pound. It can often be seen on a multi buy offer when it can work out considerably less than one pound per bottle.
      So it does work out a reasonable buy for those trying to save some money off of their shopping bills.

I think the small of both the shampoo and the conditioner is absolutely lovely.

But I wouldn't really recommend it.
      I think because it is cheap and is packaged in a large 400ml container it's easy to use a large amount and feel that its rather luxurious, but I find that a lot HAS to be used to do any good at all on my hair. And if too much is used it tends to make the hair feel on the sticky side and somewhat lank.

My hair brushes out well after using this conditioner but I find that if I use it for several washes then my hair doesn't feel at all well conditioned.

26.05.2015 20:54

Advantages

• "Cheap "

Disadvantages

• "Not great"

A false economy perhaps?

I would say that the best things about this shampoo is:

One, the price and
      Two, the scent.

I have quite often bought Alberto Balsam products at times when I have been particularly budget conscious as they are always cheap and the containers are larger than many shampoo bottles so they do last well and work out very cheap. However, for me, Alberto Balsam shampoos do often tend to be a false economy.

This is because in my opinion they just aren’t a very good range of shampoos generally in terms of quality. I would say that for a budget conscious family thee Mandarin shampoo is an okay product to use for a while. I find that I can get away with using this particular e Alberto Balsam shampoo for a week or so on my hair but if I continue to use for much longer than that then my hair does start to suffer.

Granted this shampoos does clean well and I would also say that it lathers nicely and, as I already mentioned, it does also have a nice aroma but when it comes to caring for my hair then I would say that it isn’t that great a hair product.

The Alberto Balsam Mandarin shampoo is packaged in a plastic bottle holding 400ml of shampoo.
      It is widely available and very conveniently so from supermarkets and bargain stores.
      Most stores charge around one pound for a bottle but I only buy if they are on a multi buy offer when they work out even cheaper.

This shampoo can often be seen on sale for less than one pound in price.

26.05.2015 17:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not for me

I have now used several shampoos and conditioners from the well known brand Pantene but I have to say that I really am not at all impressed.

I know that Pantene is a very popular brand and so really for this reason I have tried a few products to give them a fair chance and also to see what all the fuss was about with some of their newer products.

I have been fairly pleased with some of their hair care products but definitely not, as yet, with their shampoos and conditioners.

It may just be that they don't suite my hair type which tends to be oily and is thin and fine.
      Some Pantene shampoos tend to disagree with my scalp too.

As my hair is thin and fine and does tend to be on the flat side I thought that I would try the Pantene Pro V Volume and Body Shampoo.

I wash my hair every day and so over a fortnight this shampoo got a good try out with me.
      I didn't like it.

My hair felt clean after using it and it smelled okay too but I wasn't that pleased with the results to be honest.
      I would say that there wasn't any extra body to be noticed and in fact my hair felt heavy with the feel of this shampoo.
      My hair is usually on the shiny and smooth side but I believe it looked duller after a few washes with this shampoo.

Pantene Pro V Volume & Body Shampoo can be purchased from many places such as high street stores and on-line.
      I have seen this shampoo in some of the bargain stores too.
      I would expect to pay from around £2.00 to £4.00 for this shampoo.

26.05.2015 17:21

Advantages

• "Works well"

Disadvantages

A good styling defence product from Tresemme

Because I have allowed my hair to grow a little longer recently I find that I am using the hair dryer and also my hot air styling brush more often than I used to do.
      But I have always heat styled or dried my hair at times and so I have always had a styling defence spray (or two!) around.

One that I have bought several times for myself and my younger daughter is TRESemmé Heat Defence Spray.
      I use quite a few products from the manufacturer Tresemme. This is mainly because they are readily available and they can usually be found selling at a reasonable price.
      My daughter used to often use this heat defence spray when she was straightening her hair very often. She still does use it but doesn't tend to straighten her hair quite as often nowadays.

But although I hardly ever use straighteners on my hair I do use other electrical heating products.

I use defence sprays and other protective products on my hair before styling and this is mainly for the protection properties that they afford but it’s also because my hair styles much easier when using a spray prior to styling.

When I use this particular heat protection spray from Tresemme I find that my hair is much easier to style and the style also stays locked in for a fair amount of time.
      My hair is less prone to becoming frizzy when I have used this product too.
      The only negative that I can think of is that if I use too much this spray does tend to make my hair feel a little sticky therefore I do only use a few light sprays. However, only a little is needed, in my opinion.

This heat defence spray is available from supermarkets and both on-line and high street pharmacy stores.
      Prices vary quite a bit but I usually pay around £3 to £3.50.

25.05.2015 01:23

Advantages

• "Feels nice"
      • "Good price"

Disadvantages

A Great product for the price

I don't very often purchase a store’s own brand of toiletries but every now and again I do try to budget just a little and then I add some of these cheaper items to my shopping trolley.
      And sometimes a product will just catch my eye or it is on sale at too good a price for me to simply pass by.
      In the case of Sainsbury’s White Shower Cream I was feeling fed up with having to keep buying expensive shower products that only have a small amount in the container.
      This shower cream was packaged in a large 500ml plastic container and it was very reasonably priced too.

I try to mainly choose the milder type toiletry products for the family and I thought that this shower product would probably fit the bill as the packaging states that it is paraben free as well as being pH balanced.

I thought that this shower cream had a good lather.

It felt nice upon the skin and smelt nice but not at all strong.

After using this shower cream for several showers I found that it treated my skin kindly and I didn’t have any problems at all with dry or irritated skin.
      No-on else in the family complained either.

This shower cream is made up of the following ingredients:

Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Linalool, Sodium Hydroxide, Hexylene Glycol.

Sainsbury’s White shower Cream is available from Sainsbury’s stores at the evry cheap price of ninety pence for a 500ml container

25.05.2015 00:50

Advantages

• "Goes a long way"
      • "Conditions effectively"

Disadvantages

• "A little heavy"

Quite good

As I have high lites or occasionally a home hair colour of the all over type put in my hair two or three times a year, sometimes my hair needs a little extra pampering. And sometimes it needs a little extra help to recover.
      My hair is thin and fine and oily. But although it’s oily it has been tending to become a little bit frizzy midway to the ends of the length of my hair. I think this is probably down to over colouring my hair last year.

I always use conditioner on my hair but after it became on the dry side following over treating I thought that I should give it a more intense treatment than it usually received.
      This treatment comes in a tub and I got several uses from it.

After shampooing my hair I put a decent amount of this treatment on my hair. I worked it through and then combed my hair. I then left it on my hair, to do its work, for five minutes. After the five minutes I rinsed thoroughly.
      Once my hair was towel dried I once again combed my hair and this was easy after using the treatment.
      My hair did feel nicer, soft and silky.

I used this product twice in about six days and although it made my hair feel soft it did make it feel oily. It was a little heavy on my hair too. I now only use this about every ten to fourteen days and this seems to suit my hair better.

I paid less than £5 for this hair treatment from Wilkinsons.

24.05.2015 00:31

Advantages

• "Answer-phone "

Disadvantages

• "Not great quality"

Not great

The iDECT C5i Twin DECT Phone with answering machine is phone set consisting of two cordless handsets with an answer phone.

I purchased this from Argos some time ago but I am no longer using this phone set.
      I purchased these phones after we had changed our telephone provider and line rental from British Telecom to Virgin Media.

These phones looked good to me and they seemed to be selling for a reasonable price.
      I thought that they would be as good as any phone sets for around the same price. But I was wrong!
      Granted they did look good when they were brought out of the box and set up. I liked the fact that they looked current.

Setting up of the handsets was fairly straightforward. My son entered most of our mainly used telephone numbers and then he set up the answer phone.

Everything seemed okay at first but unfortunately it wasn't that long until I realised that these phones just weren't as good as I had hoped that they would be.
      The main problem for me was the sound. I thought it was crackly and of a somewhat tinny and unclear quality. Really, I had trouble hearing what the person on the other end of the line was saying, at times.

I wanted phones equipped with the speaker-phone facility but found the sound quality wasn't really good enough to want to use this feature unless I really had to.
      The answer phone too was a little on the crackly side.

I also didn’t feel that the handsets felt at all nice to use.

The iDECT C5i Twin DECT telephone with answering machine is available from Amazon.co.uk.

The recommended retail price is £64.99 but it should be available for around the forty pounds mark.

23.05.2015 01:55

Advantages

• "A little goes a long way"
      • "Feels good"

Disadvantages

A very good purchase for blondes

I am a recent convert to the brand Creightons.
      Recently I have tried several of their products and I have been very impressed with everything that I have tried so far.
      Creightons sunshine blonde shampoo is certainly no exception and once again I feel that I have found a bargain with this brand.

I bought this product in one of the bargain stores and it cost me 89 pence. I think that is an amazing price for a product as good as this. Usually I will pay one pound for this type and size of shampoo or conditioner. I the shop I was wavering between buying an Argan Oil shampoo or this. The Argan oil was slightly more expensive but I was going to choose it as I had used it before and knew that it was an okay product but then I realised that my other would be purchase was by Creightons and I remembered that I had been impressed with this brand. I thought that I would give this shampoo a try as well.

Well, I am glad that I did as it didn't let me down.

The shampoo is in a plastic tube so it's light and ideal to travel with. I would say that it's nicely packaged really.

This shampoo really does go a long way. I was surprised at how little was needed to obtain a good lather.
      I thought that this shampoo felt as good as many of the more expensive brands of shampoo that are on the market.

The shampoo cleansed my hair well and I liked the scent of it too.

After a few shampoos of Creighton's sunshine blonde shampoo I thought that my light hair did look lighter and it felt shiny.

I will continue using this very good value shampoo.

• Sharp LC40LE240EX / LCD TV / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      23.05.2015 01:03

Advantages

• "Built in freeview"
      • "HD ready"

Disadvantages

A reliable television set

My husband and I decided to buy a new television for our grown up son’s bedroom. This was a spur of the moment decision as we were in a Sainsbury’s superstore and spotted this television which was on offer at the time.

This purchase was made about two years ago.

We were being generous but the idea was that our son always wants to watch sport and sometimes sports TV clashes with other programmes that others want to watch on our family television which is located in our living room.

We thought that if we bought a television for our son’s room then it would also give my husband another option for viewing TV on a large screen.

I can’t remember how much we paid for this television but I do remember that at the time we thought that the offer was a good one.

I would say that this TV has been a good purchase and my son is certainly pleased with it.

It can be fitted onto a wall bracket but my son prefers to keep it on TV unit.

The Sharp LC40EX is a slim line LED TV.

It has a 40 inch (102cm) screen.

One thing that made us decide on this set (apart from the reduced price) was the fact that it has a built in freeview tuner.

And it is a nice looking slim line television set.

The Sharp LC40LE240EX is also HD ready.

Before buying we checked for connectivity to other devices and found that this television set has two HDMI inputs.

The picture quality is good so this means that it’s a good set for watching football and rugby matches.

I would say that the sound is good on this television.

22.05.2015 18:10

Advantages

• "Good value"
      • "Smells lovely"

Disadvantages

A very nice conditioner

I don't very often purchase a store’s own brand of shampoo and conditioners although I do sometimes make an exception with Boots products, as well as just a few other stores.
      As Boots is really Boots the chemist I do feel that their own toiletries and cosmetics are a safer bet than those from many other manufacturers.
      I usually buy (whenever possible) the shampoo as well as the conditioner from the same range so that I can use then together (well one after the other!) and I have bought both the shampoo and conditioner from this range a few times.
      I liked both products.
      When I first used this conditioner I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of it.
      It felt lovely and smooth to use on my wet hair after I had rinsed the shampoo off. And I was also pleased that a small amount seemed to go a long way.
      After applying conditioner to my hair I tend to usually comb it through to the ends of my hair with a wide toothed comb. I then leave it in my hair for one to two minutes before thoroughly rinsing with the shower spray.
      This conditioner combed through well and felt very nice on my hair. It rinsed out well.
      Throughout using the conditioner on my wet hair and even when my hair had dried I could smell the lovely aroma of the ingredients.
      In fact, throughout the day the scent remained detectable in my hair.
      My hair was easily manageable after using this Boots conditioner and it did feel rather sleek and smooth.
      I have used this conditioner several times although I haven’t seen it in Boots recently.
      I would say that this shampoo is a good purchase and I would definitely recommend it.

21.05.2015 01:03

Advantages

• "Smells good"
      • "Feels nice"

Disadvantages

Very pleased with this shampoo

When I bought a hair colour in a Sainsbury’s superstore a few weeks ago I also looked around for an enriching shampoo and conditioner that was especially intended for use on blonde or lightened hair.
      I think that colouring the hair dries it out a little and always treat my hair to a little pampering following a salon trip or home colour treatment.

I came across the brand Phil Smith. I have brought products from this range before but mainly for my daughters as gifts.

I decided to buy a tube of shampoo as well as a conditioner.
      They were both on offer at the time.

Phil Smith Be Gorgeous Blonde Highlight Enhancing Shampoo is for use on blonde or highlighted hair.

I didn’t really expect that much from this shampoo, feeling it was a shampoo pretending to be one of the more expensive brands. When I used this shampoo on my hair soon after using the hair colour treatment I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it actually felt.
      It lathered well too.
      And this shampoo smells gorgeous.
      The scent of chamomile can be clearly detected and this lasts even when dry, especially if the conditioner is also used.

I believe that this shampoo helped my hair to shine and to be in good condition even though it had recently been subjected to a hair colour.

This shampoo, according to the manufacturers is not tested on animals.

It is made in the United Kingdom.

My shampoo came in a 200ml plastic tube container but it is also available in a 350ml size bottle.

• AXA Pet Insurance / Pet Insurance / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
        21.05.2015 00:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Costs escalate greatly as the pet ages"

I would NOT recommend

When Joey our West Highland white terrier came to live with us almost fourteen years ago he was four months old.
        Before deciding to have a pet I knew I had to be in a position to care for it.
        At the time I looked around for pet insurance.
        The best plan at the time seemed to be Axa. They offered a pot type fund where your monthly payments added up and you could take a certain amount from the fund if necessary. There was an excess and because of this many visits to the vets weren't worth claiming for.
        The insurance covered illness, some veterinarian advised operations and special diets, emergency kennel care etc.

I think I claimed once for about £16 and another time for about £60.
        Once Joey was about eight years old the premiums went up considerably. I thought we should stop paying and put aside a little money every month but my husband preferred to keep up the payments.

What started at around £11 per month ended up at £84! When Joey was thirteen we were advised that Axa were transferring the insurance to another company. We were on holiday and missed the transfer date. On our return my husband rang the new company and they said they would give us a new quote. We were horrified when he was told this would be around £300 per month!
        I think this was awful treatment. As far as I am concerned Axa were happy to take our money every month when Joey was a young dog. Then he grew too old for them to take the risk and we and Joey were cast aside. There is no way we would pay over the already too high premiums. I feel that we paid all this money for nothing.

Now I put aside some money each month for Joey’s possible vet bills. If I get another pet I would NOT pay out for pet insurance and especially not with Axa.

• Alba LED16911HD / LCD TV / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
          20.05.2015 15:10

Advantages

• "Lightweight "

Disadvantages

• "Not very good"

Should be better

I cannot remember how much I paid for this television set but I know it was cheap. Yet I have to say that even though it was cheap it wasn't really cheap enough, in my opinion.
          I am not sure where I purchased this television set from but I seem to recall that it was either TJHughes or a from a supermarket superstore.

At the time we wanted a small but slimline television for our kitchen. I don’t really care about having a TV in the kitchen as I only really watch television when I am seated and relaxed for the evening, although I do sometimes watch the news in the morning while I am doing other tasks. But my husband, on the other hand, does often like to switch on the TV while he is helping in the kitchen or if a sporting event is on and he just cannot miss it! He has been known to take the television outside and set it up under the parasol in the garden if he is watching an international sporting event.

We didn’t have high expectations of this television set as we didn’t really think that Alba was one of the better makes of televisions but this TV wasn’t as good as we had hoped for.
          I would say that the style of it is good but on closer inspection it doesn’t look so good.
          The sound was never great as it wasn’t clear enough and in my opinion a TV in the kitchen needs to have clear sound.
          After several month of use, although only light use, the TV’s picture started to jump about and we found that the screen had to be pressed in for it to work properly.

SPECIFICATIONS

16-inch widescreen

1,366x768-pixel resolution

Built-in Freeview TV capability

Connectivity ports: HDMI, SCART, PC input, composite, S-Video, and AV sockets.

Can be wall mounted with a bracket (not supplied)