lak11

• Comments

Member since: 23.01.2010

• DFS Sofas / Furniture / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      07.05.2015 00:38

Advantages

• "Practical colour"
      • "Stayed in good repair"

Disadvantages

• "Not as comfy as expected"
      • "Too large"

Not our best purchasing choice.

We purchased the Zina large three seater sofa around five years ago from the DFS retailer.

Before buying we looked at many sofas and tried sitting on many. It did seem very comfortable in the store.

We also wanted a sofa which was a sofa bed as we thought that this would be useful in our home.
      The salesman was helpful and demonstrated how to pull the sofa bed out.

We decided to buy our furniture in a plain charcoal fabric with a grey swirl trim and dark wood feet. Two small co-ordinating small cushions came with the sofa. These are plain on one side and have the swirl trim on the other.
      The furniture arrived as promised but took three delivery men to bring it in and set it up.
      After owning this sofa for a few months we decided that it wasn't as good as we had expected. To be fair, in terms of staying nice and in good repair it has been very good but in terms of comfort we aren't all that pleased. The arms come up quite high meaning it isn't very comfy.
      The cushions are comfortable enough though.

It was a good and practical colour choice, in my opinion.

When used as a bed it is quite good as far as sofa beds go. Probably it is better than many.
      I also think that this sofa is too large and I wish that I had chosen a smaller and more compact design so that I had more space in my living room. We should have realised before purchasing that the wing arms sweep out too widely and therefore they take up far too much space.

• Sony SRS D211 / PC Speaker / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      07.05.2015 00:13

Advantages

• Compact
      • "Good for the price "

Disadvantages

Decent speakers for the PC

My husband purchased these speakers a good few years ago for our old PC. They have lasted very well and we are still using them on our newer and current desktop PC.
      My husband likes Sony as a brand; it is one of his favourites. He thought that we should get some decent speakers for the PC so that when we played music, as we often do, via the desktop PC, it would sound better than it did without the external speakers.
      He also watches live football sometimes on the PC so the speakers do tend to make viewing sport a better experience when the sounds are good being more realistic and life like.
      This speakers system would also be very good for gaming but our desktop PC isn't very often used for games.

For the price paid the sound emitted from the speakers is good.

The set is wired and it consists of two speakers, a console and a subwoofer.
      It looks good in black and silver.

The subwoofer is the biggest piece in the set and he control console is fairly compact. The speakers are small and round and don’t take up too much room on a PC desk.

The overall wattage is 35w.

The console controls the speakers and they can be turned on and off via this device. There is also a volume and a base control.

Our speakers where purchased from PC World. We paid around £40.00.

We have had no complaints or problems with these speakers and would recommend them.

SPECIFICATIONS

Overall weight 7kg
      Dimensions 52 X 36.8 x 25.4cm
      Wattage 35 watts

06.05.2015 17:48

Advantages

• Comfy
      • "Reasonably priced"

Disadvantages

A good value sleeping bag

I must have so many sleeping bags in my home. I first had to purchase one when my eldest went on her first school trip to the isle of Wight. And then having four children there were many more school trips and even more camping trips with brownies, Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Guides. And not forgetting Girls’ Brigade as well as Boys’ Brigade. And I’ve never camped in my life!
      My daughters have an eleven year age difference and the boys have over six years between them so it was usually a case of the girls not being able to use the same sleeping bag because with that age difference the first bag would be worn out or chucked away and if it was still around it may well have been adorned with a too girly a design for the older sister. Same sort of thing with the boys but they may well have used the same sleeping bag (on different occasions). I really can’t really remember.

This sleeping bag by ProAction was a good purchase and has been used on a few occasions.
      I like the fact that it washes nice and when clean and dry it can be stored away until its next use without taking up too much space.
      It is a single sleeping bag but still roomy enough even for the teenager or adult.
      There have been no complaints as to its warmth or comfort although I have always added a fleece or similar for extra warmth if necessary.

SPECIFICATIONS

Size Length 180
      Materials Polyester outer
      Hollow fibre filling (200 gsm)

The ProAction 200gsm Single Envelope Sleeping Bag can be purchased from:

Homebase £9.99
      Argos £9.99
      Amazon £19.95

• Crown Oil-filled Radiator / Heater / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      06.05.2015 17:13

Advantages

• "Three settings "
      • "Wrap around cord storage "
      • "Very useful"

Disadvantages

Very useful and easy to move around

I inherited this oil-filled radiator from a friend who was moving abroad and was letting out her home part furnished. She had to clear some stuff out and I was pleased to take this radiator off of her hands.
      True, I don’t use it often but it has come in handy on several occasions.
      I have always owned at least one oil filled radiator dating back to when my home wasn't centrally heated. Then we used this type of radiator to warm the hallways and bedrooms during the winter months.

The Crown Oil-filled radiator has been used recently when our boiler was replaced and so we needed an alternative form of heating while the central hating was turned off. It was also used a few times when we had boiler trouble.

I like this radiator for several reasons. It is easy to move around because although it is heavy it’s on castors.
      It has three heat settings which is very useful. I tend to keep it on the high setting for a while and once the room is warm enough I turn it down. Usually 600w is enough to keep the room at a comfortable temperature and this isn't too expensive in running costs.

It has a thermostat which means that when the desired temperature has been reached the radiator will turn off and only come on again when the temperature drops.

Dimensions H 640mm x W 320mm x D 140mm.

Power 1500W, 900W, 600W.

When the radiator is working the lights comes on.

As mentioned, it is easy to move around due to it being equipped with castors but another benefit to its manoeuvrability is the fact that the cord can be wrapped around the radiator when not in use. This makes it look tidy.

It heats up quickly enough and does a good job of providing background heat.

• Dell Inspiron 15 / Laptop / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      05.05.2015 16:52

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
      • "Reliable "

Disadvantages

Suits me

I have owned my Dell Inspiron 15 for years. Quite how many I can’t be sure of but it is a long time. It has outlasted a couple of desk top PCs.
      I'm always surprised when I read negative reviews about Dell because this laptop has been very good. Also my husband has used a Dell 15 at work and he found it very reliable. But then we mainly want a laptop for basic work. Perhaps this is why we are pleased and other more technical minded people aren't.This laptop has a webcam although I don’t often use this.
      I love that it uses Windows 7 because I don’t get on so well with Windows 8.
      I find this laptop so easy to use. It is under pressure because I use it every day, often for several hours, writing reviews, sending emails and shopping on-line.
      It updates often and then takes a while to load. But I suppose it is a good thing that it updates regularly.
      The battery life was good but now needs replacing. I have to keep the laptop plugged in while using it.
      Also the lettering is starting to come off of the keys. This will pose a problem soon as I'm not a touch typist and do have to look at some of the keys.
      It has good clear picture s and I think the colours are good.
      It’s easy to use when I have many tabs open.
      This laptop is equipped with a dual core processor
      Windows Home 7.
      Built in webcam and microphone.
      The screen size is 15.6.
      OVERALL

I would say this was a great purchase and has lasted well. When I next have to buy a laptop I will be looking at Dell.
      I would say that its main advantages are that it is so easy to use and it is reliable.

As with most laptops it does get hot but the heat comes out at the side and this is easier to deal with.
      I haven't had any issues with it not working due to overheating.

• Optrex Itchy Eye Drops / Medicine / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
      04.05.2015 02:18

Advantages

• "Work quickly"

Disadvantages

• "Can't be kept for long"
      • "Can be expensive"

Stop rubbing your eyes-buy Optrex Soothing eye drops

Fortunately I don't suffer very much from hayfever, If the pollen level is especially high then I will usually get some symptoms but nothing to bother me too much BUT when my eyes start itching it drives me mad.
      I don't only suffer from itchy and irritated eyes during the summer months as I tend to get allergic reactions fairly often, This seems to be mainly due to chemicals used around the home such as highly perfumed hand washes or cleaning products. After using some products I think that I must rub my eyes and start off the irritation. I try to avoid these products but this isn't always easy.
      At times like these I am grateful for Optrex Itchy eye drops.
      These drops work well for me. I find that they are most effective if applied to the eyes at the start of the irritation because once I start to rub at my eyes the itching becomes worse and then takes longer to cease.

These eye drops are for use with eyes irritated by pollen, pet hair and dust mites.
      They helped my daughter who is allergic to some cats and this leads to heavy swelling of her eyes.
      One or two drops administered to the eye that is itching or usually both eyes if necessary, is all that is needed to soothe the eyes and this usually stops the itching. For more severe cases repeating the drops may be necessary.

Optrex soothing itchy eye drops can be purchased over the counter from chemists and are also available from some chemists.
      Prices vary but he drops shouldn't cost more than five pounds.
      There are often offers on these drops from chemists such as Boots where the drops may be sold as buy one and get one for half price.

• Winterwarm 3000W 3KW / Heater / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
        04.05.2015 01:43

Advantages

• "Heats and cools "

Disadvantages

• "Expensive to run"

Winterwarm, for the cold months but also cools in summer

My home, thankfully has central heating. I would really miss having central heating as having the whole home heated when necessary does mean that the family feels free to walk about from room to room rather than all sitting huddled in one room by the fire.
        I didn't have central heating in my first home nor double glazed windows and in the winter the house was freezing!

In my second home we had central heating installed before we moved in and our home was fairly warm although it wasn't extensively double glazed.
        We had heating in all rooms and I was grateful for this.
        But in the summer the house got very hot as many of the windows had large panes of glass which warmed the rooms up. Sometimes a fan was needed.
        We gradually collected some fans. One of the first I bought was the Winterwarm 3000 fan heater.

I can't remember how much I paid for this product as this was a long time ago. I purchased it from a catalogue because at the time I appreciated being able to pay weekly for certain purchases.
        I decided to buy this heater because it was a heater and a cooling fan. It seemed to me like a good idea to have one product that could do two jobs.
        The Winterwarm heater is expensive to use for heating as all fan heaters are but at times it was necessary such as a few times when our heating wasn't working. While we were waiting for the system to be repaired alternative modes of heating were needed other than a boiler run heating system.
        During these times when I had four children; a baby and a toddler and two older ones. I needed to keep them warm.
        The Winterwarm wasn't the only form of temporary heating that I owned but it was the quickest way of taking the chill of a room.
        I needed quick heating before bathing a baby and this heater proved to be very useful indeed. The heater has two heat settings which are high and low.
        It also has a timer.

I would recommend that you try to manage with the lower setting for reasons of economy.

When it comes to the fan it worked fairly well but I would say not as good as other cooling fans that I have owned. It does oscillate but I don't think that quickly.

Overall I would say that this is a good product.

It no longer works but we did get several years of use from it and it certainly saved the day on more than one occasion.

• Osco Mesh Waste Bin / Bin / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
        04.05.2015 00:56

Advantages

• "Easy to match with other items"
        • "Looks good"

Disadvantages

Just bin it with Osco!

I bought this waste bin for my elder son's bedroom when his room was decorated. This was some time ago and he is now in a different room in the house and now the bin doesn't look as good in the new room which has different decor. I haven't replaced the Osco bin yet though and it does still look okay.

This bin is lasting extremely well and it really is proving to be a good purchase.

My son's previous room was modern and simplistic looking with technology featured quite heavily in the room. It had a look of an office if it wasn't for the bed!

Because of the modern look I thought that a modern looking silver mesh bin would be one of the accessories that would best suit the room.

This bin is made of a fine wire mesh.

I purchased this bin in the silver colour but it is also available in black. I think that silver mesh and black mesh will suit most modern style of room.

I would say that this bin really is useful and it is ideal to use in a bedroom, study or an office to help to keep things tidy.

The Osco bin is good for disposing of dry items such as paper but anything too small such as pencil shavings can filter through and make a mess so a bin liner might be a good idea to place inside the bin.

SIZE OF BIN

250 x 250 x 275mm

* This bin can be matched with other mesh items such as desk tidies and paper trays.

PRICE/AVAILABILITY

I purchased this bin from a Staples high street store. I can't remember how much I paid for this item but it currently sells for:

Staples £7.00

Amazon £7.31

I would recommend this mesh waste bin.

• Earol Olive Oil Spray / Medicine / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
        04.05.2015 00:24

Advantages

• "Softens ear wax"
        • Soothes

Disadvantages

Earol Sprays into ears

According to my General Practitioner and health practice nurse, ear drops that can be bought over the counter are not products that they would generally recommend. However, in the case of olive oil drops it is a different matter.

Before having ears syringed doctors usually ask that olive oil ear drops are applied for a few days prior to this procedure. I have had my ears syringed twice and have used olive oil ear drops before having then syringed. This made the whole process much easier.

When my husband had to have his ear syringed he was told to use olive oil ear drops before the syringing could be carried out by he practice nurse. He bought drops from the chemist as this worked out cheaper than paying for the prescription.

Although I use olive oil ear drops I recently discovered Earol Olive oil ear spray and now, after using them for some time, I would say that I definitely prefer the spray to the drops.

I prefer the spray because it is easier to use and seems to be less bother really then drops. I'm not saying that drops are difficult to administer as they're not but the spray is even easier.

By using the spray a metered dose is released which is a good idea as this means too much olive oil isn't used which can often happen with drops, I think.

Administering spray rather than drops feels lighter and not so messy.

the bottle has a good applicator system that reaches into the ear. One depression of the top releases one metered spray.

Cotton wool still needs to be used but I do find that this is ore precautionary than vital as the spray is not a messy process.

I think the spray is an ideal way of administering olive oil to the ear of those e who hate the feel of drops trickling in as the spray really doesn't feel so cold and goes down into the ear quicker than the drops do.

USING THE DROPS

One to two drops should be applied twice a day for up to five days or as advised by your doctor.

I use the spray occasionally when I suffer with ear irritation.

*The spray should be stored at a temperature of 15-30 degrees C

Earol can be used by adults and children over the age of twelve years.

PRICE/AVAILABILITY

Readily available from chemists such as:

Boots £4.99 (10ml)

Lloyds Pharmacy £5.29 (10ml)

• B&Q Kitchen Furniture / Furniture / 15 Readings / 15 Ratings
        23.04.2015 15:56

Advantages

• "Accessories fit most units"
        • "Good range of units"
        • "Reasonably priced"

Disadvantages

• "Fitting service is expensive"

IT kitchen works well for me

My husband installed our IT (B&Q) kitchen about two years ago.

We didn't want to spend too much on units but preferred to buy labour saving devices to make the most of our kitchen space.

We chose the IT range in chestnut modern which is a basic plain style of kitchens. This is what we wanted as in terms of care it really is good.

The units are good if soft close doors and drawer units are used as we did.

On asking a kitchen planner at B&Q about installation costs we discovered that the fitting would cost as much as all the units. My husband decided to fit the kitchen himself.

The planner was informative and knew which devices would fit into specific units and really was a great help.

We placed our order and paid then a delivery date was arranged.

B&Q kept us informed of delivery times. When the order arrived there were a few wrong items and we were glad that the kitchen was stocked in a B&Q store so we could change items.

My husband began the task of fitting the kitchen. This was a lengthy process but he was pleased with how it went.
        Our kitchen order included a wide range of wall and base units, corner units, two larder units, labour saving devices, sink, worktops, taps and further accessories such as wire baskets and trays. The price of everything was well under £4,000 and this was for many units.

I am especially pleased with the corner carousel unit, the swing and pull corner unit and the 800mm pan drawer unit. These make life in the kitchen much easier than before.

The kitchen is proving durable. We have not really had any problems as such with any of the units but in hindsight I would have rather chosen a different type of pull out larder trays and not chosen a black sink. The sink can only be cleaned with special cleaners and marks easily. The larder isn't easy to pull out.

But in terms of lasting well and being easy to clean I would say that I am very pleased with my B&Q kitchen. It is much better than I had expected.

I would say for anyone contemplating a B&Q kitchen , especially a basic range, to use soft close fittings, drawer reinforcements and 360 degree hinges. These make all the difference in the feel and manageability of the kitchen.

• Roca 5A3061C00 / Taps / 11 Readings / 10 Ratings
          23.04.2015 13:53

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
          • "Look nice"

Disadvantages

• "Can be expensive"

Very nice taps

We bought this mixer tap for our downstairs cloakroom.

The cloakroom is small and so is the hand wash basin that we had installed. We thought that a small set of taps would look best and also work best in this small room and so we had a good look around at fittings and taps.

Eventually my husband and I found that a local plumbers and bathroom supplier had some good accessories and often sold at much more favourable prices than the larger DIY suppliers. You know the type I mean!

We ended up purchasing the cloakroom suite from this supplier as well as the cloakroom taps.

I cannot remember how much exactly we paid for this Roca tap set but I think (cannot be sure) it was less than £70. But we did get discounts on asking.

The tap came with the waste included and was fitted by a qualified plumber. There were no problems with the fitting of the tap.

The waste is of the pop up variety which is what I prefer.

I would say that these taps look very smart. In my opinion their appearance is modern and minimalist, which is a look that I like.

They are made of brass but have a chrome finish. The taps stay looking nice and shiny (Evershine Electrolite Coating) and they have a coating/finish which helps to keep them in great condition and helps to stop marking and scratching. They are also very easy to keep clean and, in fact, a simple and very quick wipe over is all that is needed to keep them looking at their best.

I love the way that these taps are so easy to turn on and off and also the way that it is very easy to get the water to the most suitable temperature without needing to use barely any pressure.

21.04.2015 00:16

Advantages

• "Easy to open and close"
          • "Looks cute"

Disadvantages

A Radley purse that looks just like Joey

Our family dog is a West Highland white terrier called Joey. I think because my younger daughter loves him so much was the reason that she first noticed Radley items and went on to buy me a purse as a birthday gift.

I don't know for sure where she purchased my purse but it could have been in a department store when they were selling purses at a big discount. I certainly hope this was a bargain and that she didnt pay full price as Radley purses are quite expensive, in my opinion. She does shop on-line so I'm sure she would have shopped around before purchasing.

I love my Radley purse. It really is so cute. But although I like a purse to look good I am quite fussy. They have to be easy to open as I find some clips very difficult and I like them to feel nice to hold. I also like a separate section for notes and change.

This is a good purse. It looks good and feels good and keeps change securely inside.
          I would say that it's easy to pen and close but not so easy that money spills out.

The purse zips up nicely and coins stay inside until needed. There is a section for notes, credit, debit cards and a few bits and pieces.

The purse is of a medium size being: w 14cm x H 9 cm

I love the appliqué design of the cute little Radley dog wearing his tartan scarf as he jumps around gleefully. A hedgehog can be seen and leaves which I feel are blowing about in an autumn breeze.

The stitching looks neat ad tidy.

My purse is in black with a white dog. Just like Joey!

• BT Graphite 1500 Quad / Telephone / 10 Readings / 10 Ratings
          20.04.2015 23:19

Advantages

• Answerphone

Disadvantages

• "Not great sound quality "

Not that impressed

I must have had this set of phones for a good few years now and yet I have never been overly keen on them.
          I have meant to replace them for a good while now but just haven’t got around to it.
          They aren't terrible or anything but I do have a few issues and I just think that they should be better.
          I bought these phones after buying another brand but these didn’t have a speaker phone facility so I returned them and bought these in their place.
          My set of phones has an answer phone integrated onto the base of the main phone handset. There are three other phones.
          Having this type of phone set up is useful as only one phone socket is needed and extra handsets only need an electric socket close by.
          We have a phone in the hallway, the main phone with answer phone in the living room, a phone in the kitchen and one upstairs.

The phones have several useful features such as:

INTERCOM
          This is very handy when wanting to communicate with members of the household without having to shout up or down stairs. Each phone is numbered and can be reached by another handset or all can be made to ring at the same time.
          RINGTONE
          The phone sound on the intercom is different from the sound when an external call is being received.
          Each handset can be set with a different ringtone.
          HANDS FREE/SPEAKER PHONE
          This is useful when the phone rings at an inconvenient time whilst performing a chore such as ironing or cooking because you can talk while working. However I don’t think the sound quality is good enough to enjoy using this feature.
          MUTE
          The mute/ secrecy button can be quite easily pressed accidentally.
          ANSWER PHONE
          This has up to twelve minutes of recording time.
          LAST NUMBER REDIAL
          This is where any of the last 10 numbers called can be redialled.
          LOW BATTERY
          The low battery warning bleep can be used to locate the phone. It’s handy because the handsets are often left out of their cradles. By pressing the find feature the phone will ring so that it can be located and replaced.
          PHONE BOOK
          Fifty numbers can be stored.
          RANGE
          The phones have a range of up to 300 metres outside and 50 metres inside.

The features are good but I don’t find it easy to add numbers to the phone book or to set other features. I also find that the sound quality of these phones isn't particularly good.

*Each handset uses two NiMH AAA rechargeable batteries.

• B&Q Bathroom Furniture / Furniture / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
          20.04.2015 17:23

Advantages

• "Look good"
          • "Reasonably priced"

Disadvantages

B&Q units were what we had in mind

Last year my husband said that he couldn't put of re-fitting our bathroom any longer. This was around last October.

We had a good look around for white glossy furniture that we could use with our existing bathroom suite. A good search made us realise that furniture from B&Q would fit best and was the type of thing we were looking for. The B&Q units would be the right size to fit the back to wall WC and the semi-recessed basin that we already had.

We wanted glossy white and plain furniture as I think plain is easiest to keep looking nice and white looks clean and is reflective; useful in a small bathroom.

We ordered the units which were:

basin unit

WC unit

Small double door unit

Worktop

Bath panel

Accessories such as new taps and other fittings, vanity tray etc.

The items were paid for and a delivery date was set.

When it was almost the delivery day we were contacted by phone, text and email and a time frame was given for delivery. However, when the self assembly furniture was delivered it came earlier than expected (before 7 am) and it was so early in the morning that it was still dark and we were woken up. Because of this my husband wasn't able to examine every item of furniture and we later found that one item wasn't the one we had ordered.

We had a great deal of trouble and stress getting the right item as we were told that the item should have been checked. Well yes in theory but not that easy! Eventually someone saw sense and the item was delivered to us.

We have no problems at all with the quality and look of the furniture.

Really it's just what we had in mind and we are very pleased with the look of our 'new' bathroom now that it is finished.

• Homebase / Highstreet Shopping / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
          20.04.2015 16:30

Advantages

• "Nicely set out"

Disadvantages

• "Quite expensive"

Homebase has some advantages

Quite recently I have been purchasing many items from the Homebase store.

This is quite unusual for me as I find Homebase to often be rather expensive. However, my husband has been doing a lot of decorating and general DIY work in our home recently and at times Homebase has been the most convenient place to shop for a wide variety of wares for the home and the garden.

nd the stores are quite nicely laid out.

It isn't my favourite store but it is quite esy to push a trolley around in many Homebase high street stores.

I have bought roller blinds, bath mats, towel rails, lamps, vases, scented candles, batteries, washing up sponges and so very much more in Homebase stores and really this is what I do like about the store.
          One of my fairly local stores has now the facility of an Argos shop inside which will make the store easy.

Another advantage is the Homebase stores nearest to me have large free car parks. Even at the busiest of times it is easy to park near to the store. This is very handy when buying heavy and bulky items.

I also like to visit Homebase to have a wander around their gardening centre. Here I have found some great bargains. I wouldn't say that plants are cheap here but there are often some offers to be found such as a jasmine plant and a honeysuckle plant that I purchased very cheaply last year. Both plants looked to be on their last legs but with a little tender loving care they soon picked up and they thrived.

I often buy compost from Homebase as its easy to take it from the store to the car.

Another advantage is that I believe that Nectar points can accrued when shopping here.