leighsady

• 12084
  • Comments

Member since: 29.04.2008

24.03.2015 15:56

Advantages

• Effective

Disadvantages

• " a bit pricey for the small volume."
      • "Leaves a residue"

Not the best...

No the best of all make up removers I don't think. It is a good effective make up remover - even with tough thick make up, I think it's pretty good at removing all of it. But it doesn't seem to leave your face in its best condition. I find the remover leaves a sort of greasy residue and my face doesn't feel as comfortable as it should. Not sure if the solution actually contains oil.
      Although very effective at removing make-up, I still get some make up coming off on my toner as well, so perhaps not as effective as it seems. For the small amount you get - 50ml for about £17, I don't think it's very good value. I had used up about a 6th of the bottle with one use, so it's not going to last very long either. So sadly, would not recommend it unless you really need some make up remover...

24.03.2015 15:39

Advantages

• " stays on well."
      • "Only a little is needed"

Disadvantages

• "None so far."

A brilliant surprise.

I was given one of these in my promotional kit. I don't usually use much blusher, or else the ones that I use never really work for me so I just give up on using them. However, I couldn't find my usual blusher the other day and had to use this as an emergency.
      To my surprise, on first application, the blusher showed up on my cheeks with a vibrant tone. This wasn't even the shade I had matched for myself, it just came standard as part of the pack. Not only the shade suited me but it instantly made me feel more radiant.
      Usually, I would have swish my brush around on the blush pad several times before I could get any colour on the brush and then still not much of it ends up on my cheeks. But with this, it applies well straight from the brush to the skin. The colour is not too dramatic, so you can build up as much colour as you need. I was just so impressed as it has proved to be better than any other blusher I have used.

• Clinique High Impact Mascara / Make Up / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.03.2015 15:25

Advantages

• "Good bolder volume."

Disadvantages

• "Still flakes and clumps a little."

Good for a quick evening out. Lovely natural look.

I love using mascara from Clinique, I always feel that their formulas are more gentle and less harsh for the eyes. I have very short eye lashes and after using this I found that the volume of my lashes were thicker and slightly longer. The mascara gives a lovely natural look, so the difference is not too dramatic. The mascara is specifically thickens the lashes making them look bolder - I only noticed a slight lengthening effect, so if that is your main concern then this is not quite the right mascara.
      Unfortunately, as with many mascaras, this product still flakes, and I think the longest I've been without any flaking is about two to three hours. This is what annoys me the most about mascara is the flaking and the depositing of smudge marks underneath the eyes. I have wasted so much money trying so many different ones so to find one that doesn't flake or smudge.
      This one is good if you're only going out for a short while, but any longer than about 3 - 4 hours, you might need to keep checking in the mirror. But overall a nice gentle effective mascara.

04.01.2015 18:34

Advantages

• " helps to remove reduce wrinkles."
      • "Firms the skin"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive for a small little dinky pot!"

You're worth it...

This is a great cream, I did have my doubts at first when I first opened it. It is pure white and a very thick cream. My skin does not work well with thick creams, I always find it difficult to make the creams absorb completely, I'm often left with a shiny sheen and when used on my eyes, the skin around just gets all puffed up and swollen making my dark circles worse.
      The best way to apply this really thick cream - and I mean, it's almost a solid soap like cream, where you need to almost scrap a bit out of the pot, otherwise if you use your fingers, you would just scoop too much out.
      Applying it to the eye area is easier than expected, it smooths on very easily and absorbs surprisingly well. After just a few seconds I can actually see that my eye area looks firmer brighter and smoother - I was very impressed. I still think the texture is too thick and rich for the eye area, but for the results it gives - I can just about put up with this.
      So far, I find it blends ok with the make-up that I put on later, usually, with rich creams, it makes my make up clog up and it won't sit all until I wipe off all the thick layer of grease.
      The cream is very expensive at almost £40 for a small 15ml pot, such a shame, but it works well, so you just need to weight up whether its worth it. But I think it is...

03.01.2015 19:40

Advantages

• "Rich cream for dry skins."

Disadvantages

• " no visible results."
      • "Not effective enough"

Doesn't work for me.....

I'm a little disappointed with this cream as it is probably one of the more expensive items in the repairwear range. I use the eue cream and the serum and I see immediate results for both of them, so I am quite surprised as to why this face cream version does not seem to show any effects.
      I did wonder whether it was the particular jar or batch that I had - this was because after using after about a week, I left it and didn't use it until a few weeks later, I opened the pot and it really stank like it had gone off or something. The cream looked fine and as usual but just had a really strong bad smell, and so I put the ineffectiveness down to the faulty jar of cream. But I have also recently tried a second pot - it was included as part of the Repairwear gift set, and still as usual, this didn't really have any effect, only the eye cream and serum showed visible results.
      I think it's very poor that this doesn't work - at £50 a jar if bought on its own you would expect it to have to work. This is in terms of firming up the skin, reducing wrinkles, making appear brighter and basically also correcting any other skin problem areas you have - hence, the 'repair' name tag.
      The cream on its own is actually a good thick moisturiser for dry skins, it's very rich and creamy and actually feels quite soothing on the face. Disappointed, but glad that I only get it as part of a combo set.

03.01.2015 18:44

Advantages

• "Hair appears shinier."
      • "Gives lots of extra volume."

Disadvantages

• "Makes hair seem a bit more wild and fuzzy."
      • "Very strong scent."

Effective, but quite strong smelling...

I've been looking all over for a good shampoo that is nourishing, helps it become manageable and shiny but at the same time making it lift, appearing as if with more volume, more hair in essence!
      I use Kiehl's other skincare products and was quite surprised to suddenly realise that they did hair bath product too. I started talking to one of the beauty advisors and they recommended this, said it was so good and popular with customers - most of what I use of Kiehl's is brilliant, so I had no doubts that this shampoo would so some wonders.
      When you try to pour the shampoo out from the plastic squeezy bottle, it comes out slowly, it is actually quite thick, almost like a cream but lathers very well indeed if you keep adding water as you apply and massage it into the hair. I did actually end up with too much foam all over the place, so a little goes a long way.
      You don't actually notice much of the scent when you open the bottle or pour it out, but for some reason it seems to project quite strongly once you've applied to the hair. Maybe because it was a new shampoo and I had never used it before, but I just felt the scent on my hair was too strong and I just felt conscientious about it.
      After my hair had dried the strong fragrance was still there, but my hair still look a lot thicker and fuller - and almost a bit wild, sticking out and almost standing on end...so I had to put hair product on it to tame it down.
      Definitely gives your hair lots more volume but smells a bit strong.

• Kiehl's Creme de Corps / Skin Care / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      03.01.2015 16:31

Advantages

• " has SPF"
      • "Very moisturising"

Disadvantages

• " may be a bit rich for some skins"
      • "Strong scent"

Good moisturiser.

I was so happy when I got this - finally I had found something, a body lotion that claimed to be light in texture, skin nourishing and had an SPF where I could also use frequently on my hands - doubling up as a hand moisturiser.
      When I first opened it to try, it smelt gorgeous and made me feel hungry, it contains shea butter so smells a bit chocolatey and buttery, just of some food. Generally, I don't like this sort of scent, as it just makes me feel as if I'm applying some food on my body, I prefer a fresher feel and refreshing light scents.
      The texture is light but it was not as light as I had hoped, it was still quite a thick lotion I would say, but nevertheless it absorbs very well into the skin. Personally, I also feel the scent is quite strong although it is still a pleasant smell. I always felt conscious that people around me might smell it and think I had just had some heavy load of chocolate or something. Sorry...
      The cream is fairly hydrating, but for really dry wrinkled skin, it does not have much effect. A great moisturiser, but I can still feel that I have this heavy cream on me. It would be great if they could make the texture even lighter and also make is fragrance free.
      For the price, I think it's a little too high, especially that it is just a nourishing moisturiser with some shea butter, and many others that are on the market have this and are far cheaper.
      It's worth a try but I would prefer something lighter with a more refreshing lighter scent.

03.01.2015 15:42

Advantages

• "Good coverage"

Disadvantages

• "Does not blend very well."

Good coverage if you can get it to blend well...

I have a lot of acne scars and blemishes on my face and usually use a foundation to get some coverage. But even with the double wear I find it doesn't completely cover everything and I always need an extra concealer that has a heavier texture to give even more coverage.
      I read a lot of reviews on this before getting it and thought this would be the last ever one I have to try, sadly it doesn't completely tick all my boxes.
      First of all it is a good heavy texture, runny enough still to be able to apply and blend easily. It seems to dry very quickly, so if you do any blending, you need to do it quick before it sets and then you can't work with it much afterwards. I use around my scars and blemishes, and also under my eyes - it might actually be a bit too heavy for the eyes, but gives a good decent amount of coverage if you're like me, with really dark big circles...!
      However, a good coverage it gives, my problem with it is, that at first, it sets well, looks great, but after a few hours it seems to dry out and start clumping - it may be my other products affecting it and I'm still trying to work out what it is, but the clumpy look is not good...
      Under the eyes, it's not really that great as it's so heavy, so the clumpiness looks even more apparent. There are no light reflective particles in this, but it does give a very plain matt look - so it can actually make the dark circles look worse.
      Great coverage if you can work with it.

03.01.2015 14:43

Advantages

• "Make-up stays put for almost a whole day"

Disadvantages

• "Only limited number of sahed available."

Really lasts all day....!

If you're after something that stays put for the whole day - this is it. I have worn the foundation for a whole day - well, not on purpose, but when you don't get the chance to carry any make-up or have the time to go to the restroom to reapply your make-up, this foundation just takes all the stress and worry away. You can just spend time in the morning doing the make up and then completely forget about it.
      I had worn this foundation from 9am in the morning until 11pm at night when I got home and looked in the mirror and only very slight patches had come off - but that was more likely from me rubbing or scratched my face without being careful of the make-up. My face - the make up on my skin still looked relatively matt and intact, so I would definitely recommend this if you don't like having to go to the loo every hour to retouch up make up.
      The make-up blends relatively well, but still clumps a little depending on what moisturiser you use underneath. My main concern is also the limited number of shades there are - I think there are only 3 in total and I am between shade 1 and 2 - shade 1 being too light for me, and shade 2 being too dark - so it is annoying from that perspective. However, usually I just work round this by mixing the two together which helps but then I'm faced with having to buy both shades.
      Well worth the price, it's about £27 for 30ml but you don't need much at all, and lasts all day - brilliant stuff...!

31.12.2014 20:31

Advantages

• "Anti-oxidant benefits"

Disadvantages

• "May be a bit too oily for some skins."

Good general moisturiser that works better in winter...?

I really like the fact that this moisturiser has anti-oxidants, I think it's really important for all moisturisers to have this feature - our face goes through so much stress and pollution during the day, I don't understand why it's not a basic feature in all moisturisers. Unfortunately, I don't really see much visible benefit with this cream, although I would definitely say it is a good general hydrator. On application, it is very soothing, especially with its cucumber-like refreshing scent. I find it takes a while to soak in, and after a few hours, my skin can appear shiny, so the cream may be a bit rich for those who have oily and combination type skins.
      Not being funny, but because I don't see much in visible results, I do wonder whether the cream is really working and neutralising all those oxidising radicals on my face. The cream unfortunately doesn't do anything for wrinkle or have anti-ageing effects like firming and toning the skin, it is more of a general hydrator and perhaps a preventative cream. The cream is probably best more suited for younger skins, although it is also a bit rich for oily skins as I mentioned earlier.
      I find it is also better to use this in the winter - I actually get less shine then and also my skin feels comfortable in the cold weather after using this, how weird and such a coincidence that it's an aqua cool blue green colour - maybe the cream is designed for winter, who knows? But definitely noticed more benefits using it in colder temperatures... Worth a try, a good general cream with a lovely scent.

31.12.2014 20:22

Advantages

• "Very Clean Feel"

Disadvantages

• " a little drying."
      • "Tight skin"

Good cleanser, only need a tiny amount.

I normally use this after taking all my make-up off, as unfortunately, this cleanser doesn't not take make-up off. It comes as a creamy white foam in a squeezy tube, which I prefer, as I think, if it came in a pump bottle applicator, too much would just get pumped out. The first time I used this, I squeezed out a pea size amount - maybe a little bit more, and it was definitely too much. The cleanser foams extremely well, so a little of this goes a very long way, which I think is a plus.
      I find the foam a little drying as well, it may be that I use too much, as I find using less seems to help - my skin feels less tight after using it. Normally, I find that my skin feel noticeable very tight after cleansing and then I have resort to using lots of toner to remove the residue - unless I'm not rinsing my face properly...! But either way, using less of this, means that I use less of the toner - which is still a bonus, and I still feel it cleans pretty well on small amounts. My skin normally feels and appears visibly brighter as well, so the cleanser also helps to clarify and brighten the complexion.
      In general, it is a good cleanser, but it would not be my first choice, and I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again, simply because I have other facial cleansers that work better for me...but worth a try if you're still trying to find a good one :)

31.12.2014 20:00

Advantages

• "Invisible make up finish"

Disadvantages

• "Very light coverage."

Not worth using this at all, does not do anything...

I really don't see the point to this foundation at all. yes, it gives that barely there make up look, but why use it when you can just go bare? As it gives hardly any coverage at all you might as well use tinted moisturiser or a CC cream or something as this doesn't do any thing. If you had really good skin, you could just go bare anyway, but if you had bad skin you would need something with some fairly decent coverage or something to treat the skin to make it look right. This foundation gives no coverage and doesn't correct the skin. hence, I'm saying it doesn't do much at all.
      When you use it, you can only use a little, when you try to use a lot to compensate for more coverage, it just doesn't work and starts getting clumpy and the result is, that you can see all that foundation you've slathered all over your face...! It's a bit disappointing really, it just seems a very watered down version of a decent foundation, it doesn't even have any of the qualities from the Double Wear Light Foundation. You also have to be a be a bit careful of the shades, the shade that you get matched up with this foundation tends to be lighter than you need as the texture is so light and that you also will be using only a little.
      Seriously, I really don't think it's worth the price it is charged at, as it does so little and even if it costs less than the others in the brand, it still shouldn't be around - you are much better off getting a repair serum or CC and wearing that bare on your skin instead...

31.12.2014 19:51

Advantages

• " bare there finish."
      • "Keeps make up shine free"

Disadvantages

• " expensive."
      • "Wrong shades"

Clever powder, but needs more shades available.

I've used this a long long time ago and had only just found out that they were going to discontinue it. Don't understand why as it's such a good powder. It uses advanced make up technology combining powder with gel to give a non-powder look, so it's such a shame that they're stopping it, although I know some outlets are still selling them, so grab them when you can!
      The powder is rightly called invisible powder as once you have applied it, you can hardly see it, unless you're really looking for it, but even then you only see the finished result, there is no lump or grain of powder to be seen - very clever stuff. It is also mattifying, keeps the shine and oil away for those who have combination skin - but I've also noticed it being a bit drying as well, I've often felt my skin feeling a bit tight after applying it, so I'm mot sure if it also contains 'oil absorbing' ingredients.
      There are not many shades available, I think only 3, I used the 1st Light one as the second was just simply too dark, but the problem is, the light shade is also too light for me, and if you apply too much or have to retouch your make up often, I found that I had this heavy made up look and I could also pass for one of the Cullens from Twilight..! Not great for work... However, if you get it right the first time in the morning and you don't need to keep re-applying, it sets your make up for almost a whole day.

• Estee Lauder Lucidity / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.12.2014 19:33

Advantages

• " holds make-up in place."
      • " flawless finish"
      • "Brightens skin"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

My best make-up product.

This is one of the new powders I'm trying right now and it is great! I absolutely love it right now and use it more than anything else. I was having a lot of trouble making my make up stay - I was getting shine after a few hours and at the end of the day my make up was almost non-existent as it had probably all melted due to the oils from my skin. I normally have to wear the lot, moisturiser, foundation, primer - the lot and after a few hours, it normally looks as if I haven't got make up on...
      I cut out using the powder for a long time, as I felt it was very drying and I looked really caked up. It was often giving me a clumpy finish, and you could definitely see I had powder on. Maybe I was just using the wrong powder. I actually use another one from Estee Lauder, it was only because they were going to discontinue it that I had to look for another one, and walking around with my make up disappearing all the time wasn't great.
      Although expensive, this is well worth it and my best investment so far. The powder has actually been around for a long time, so I don't know why I didn't use it before. You actually can't see much of the powder - so it gives a very natural barely there finish. It also helps to keep my make up in place, I've noticed my make up staying for much longer in matt and shine free too. An added bonus is that it makes your complexion brighter, well, for me I've noticed this, so I can't live without this now...!

31.12.2014 19:10

Advantages

• " plumps up skin"
      • "Reduces fine lines"

Disadvantages

• " can cause puffiness."
      • " very rich"
      • " not suitable for senstitve skins"
      • "Very expensive"

Great for wrinkles but causes puffy eyes.

This is the crème de la crème of all eye cream, I think this may be one of the most expensive on the market as well. At almost £80 for a small 20ml, you must think it's either a joke and rip-off, or have undoubted belief that it must work and hope for the best!
      Well, I am lucky I didn't have to buy this as it came as part of the whole set from the Absolue range, having tried the face creams with good results, I'm pretty sure, this shouldn't disappoint.
      Again, like the face cream it is extraordinary thick, turn the jar upside down and it won't move at all - almost very thick cheese!
      As the creams are so thick and expensive, I've learnt to take a little out with a cotton bud and then to dab it along under my eyes. It has a soothing feeling, but doesn't absorb very quickly. Generally, I find creams too thick, and it is the same with this as well, it act well when you rub it in either, you just need some patience to keep dabbing it until it finally absorbs completely, and then there is still some shine - an indication of how rich it really is. Even with scraping just a little bit out to use, I still get an excess of it to go out further to other areas of the face, so a little definitely goes a long way.
      The good news is, it has an immediate visible effect, although a little oil, I found this does get better the more times you use it. I don't use this everyday, as I simply find it too rich, I tend to avoid using it during the day as I find it seems make my eyes more puffy than usual and makes my dark circles even more apparent. Definitely worth a try for the surrounding crows feet around the eyes, but perhaps not for use under the eyes as it causes puffiness.