marymoose

marymoose
  • Comments

Member since: 03.01.2008

25.01.2015 18:01

Advantages

• "Exellent car seat"

Disadvantages

• Heavy?

An excellent safe first car seat.

Car seats for children are an absolute minefield, but thankfully it's not a particularly difficult decision for the first stage carseat, and this Maxi Cosi Cabriofix does seem to be one of the (if not the) most popular ones. We actually got ours as part of a deal when we bought our travel system (pram/pushchair), as although it isn't a Maxi Cosi, it does fit onto our Uppababy Vista with the adaptors which is quite simple to do, and useful if you're just going on a short trip when you get to your destination. However, you might or might not be aware that newborns in particular shouldn't really be in a car seat for longer than 2 hours without a break.

Anyway, it's rrp is around the £99 mark, but you can probably get it for less than this if as part of a deal. Inevitably you will be able to find cheap second hand ones, but it is not recommended to buy them second hand in case they have been in an accident.

You will need a car seat to be allowed to take your baby home from hospital (even if you are not travelling by car!) so Cameron was in his from 2 days old. He had the newborn headrest in which we actually managed to keep in until he was 6 months, just to give his head extra support.

We have the Isofix base which means that it is dead easy just to clip in place safely into the car. However, it is also very easy to fit in the car using a seatbelt as I have when going out in other people's cars.

Being a 0+ seat is is rear facing. Cameron is now nearly 8 months and still has plenty of space in it (it is only too small when their head is level with the top) so hoping that it will last him until at least a year old. Of course as he gets heavier it gets heavier to carry around = it seemed pretty heavy right from the start. They can be in it up to 13kg, Cameron is currently just over 8kg.

It is easy to strap him in, and adjust the seatbelt to make it tighter. However, the little crotch support thing can be a bit of a nuisance at times.

This is a great carseat, and has excellent safety reviews, so I would highly recommend it.

5 out of 5 stars from us.

• Tissot T-Touch / Watch / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
        24.01.2015 15:41

Advantages

• "Variety of features"
        • "Nice looking"

Disadvantages

• "Altimeter doesn't work"

A very nice man's watch.

My boyfriend has this watch and wears it pretty much every day. It cost approximately £350, although they can often be found for a lot more than that. He has had it for around 5 years (the battery has only needed to be changed once, which is pretty good going).

Unlike dooyoo's picture (showing a black and silver coloured watch), my boyfriend's watch is all stainless steel with a diver's style bracelet which can be adjusted to fit your wrist. It is otherwise exactly the same though.

It doesn;t have numbers on, but it's easy to tell the time as there are little dashes on the clockface. It also has a digital display which you can either have showing the date, or the time in seconds. It has 6 features which can be accessed via the touchscreen function of the watch - an altimeter, a chronograph (stopwatch), compass, alarm, thermoeter, and barometer. The downside is that the altimeter doesn't work properly anymore, it currently says we're 14 metres below sea level, when clearly we are not. The thermometer does work, but you have to take it off your wrist and let it adjust to room temperature rather than the temperature of your wrist. The compass does work well. The alarm works, but it might not be loud enough for some.

This is a very nice looking watch. It is water resistant up to 30 metres, so you can wear it swimming if you want. My boyfriend finds it to be a comfortable watch to wear - it is quite heavy, but fairly standard for a man#s watch.

4 out of 5 stars.

• 2true Cover n' Conceal / Make Up / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
        22.01.2015 22:44

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not fantastic"

A cheap concealer which isn't fantastic.

As I've said in previous reviews, I don't wear a great deal of makeup. although I don't really like leaving the house without foundation on and a bit of blusher to add some colour to my face! Of course if there are spots added into the equation, then some sort of concealer is necessary as well, and of course this is more important tham anything else where makeup is concerned.

I have been very happy using either Collection 2000 or Rimmel concealers for the past 15 or more years. They are cheap and so the job perfectly well both with covering spots, but also concealing under eye bags and other blemishes. However, I was buying some makeup in Superdrug in the 2True range. Items cost £1.99 or 3 for £5. I had already chosen two other items, so wanted a third, and since my Collection 2000 concealer was coming to the end I thought I'd take a chance with this.

It comes in three shades - light, medium and dark. Having pale skin I chose light. I have applied this when I have spots and blemishes, and while it's not too bad, I find it doesn;t blend in as easily as either my Collection 2000 or Rimmel concealers. I find it leaves it a bit cakey looking - not a great look when you want to draw attention away from any spots!

I can't really complain too much for the price I paid, however as my other concealers which work better are also cheap, then it is slightly disappointing.

3 out of 5 stars from me.

• 2true Smooth Matte Powder / Make Up / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
          21.01.2015 12:21

Advantages

• "It works"
          • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "No applicator"

A good cheap powder!

I don't wear a great deal of makeup, although don't like leaving the house without foundation on. I usually put a matte powder on over the top of my foundation, and always if I have any spots as I find it helps in the cover up process.

This 2True Smooth Matte Powder is part of a Superdrug range of makeup, and like many of the products only costs £1.99, or you can get 3 for a fiver. As the products I have used so far have all been pretty good, this is excellent value!

The products comes in 3 shades, and as I have a fairly pale skin tone I chose the translucent one. The other shades are soft peach and soft beige. Perhaps there might not be a colour to suit everyone (probably not people with darker skin tones), but perhaps that's why they can make it so cheap.

I generally put it on with a puff applicator. The product doesn't come with one which is the only downside really, but I have my own, and they can be bought pretty cheaply.

It is described as "Translucent powder which gives a flawless, matte finish." I find this gives a nice finish to my skin, and am happy with it. I usually then put a bit of bronzer or blusher on the top to give myself some colour. My whole makeup regime only takes about 2 minutes, so it's not a lot of work.

I would give this 4 out of 5 stars!

20.01.2015 10:23

Advantages

• "Lasts well"
          • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None really"

A good cheap eyeliner!

I'm not a person who wears a great deal of makeup, although I won't leave the house without foundation on and a bit of blusher on my cheeks. However, when I do go out for a night (which is rare, but happens occasionally) I always put on mascara and eyeliner too and a bit of lipstick or lipgloss.

I don't have much money spare, so I tend to go for cheap makeup, and have found that the 2True range at Superdrug is really good. This 2True Easy Glide Kohn Pencil cost me just £1.99, however looking on the Superdrug website I see it is currently available on a 3 for £5 offer which works out as excellent value. In addition to this you will be earning points on your Superdrug rewards card. The pencil comes with a lid on it which is a useful addition.

This pencil comes in two shades, black and brown, and I have the black shade. I find it easy to apply (it glides on) and it doesn't smudge as badly as some. The amount I use depends on the look that I'm going for. I would usually pop it in my handbag and reapply at some point in the evening if I remembered (although most likely don't remember). It does last pretty well though.

These pencils last a long time with the amount that I use them, obviously you will need some sort of makeup pencil sharpener to keep on using it.

• Sony Ericsson K700i / Mobile Phone / 11 Readings / 11 Ratings
            15.01.2015 18:42

Advantages

• "Still used as a spare"
            • "Was a brilliant phone"

Disadvantages

• "Not for the modern day!"

My phone 10 years ago!

I got the Sony Ericsson K700i back in 2004, so before my reviewing days. However, amazingly I still have it, and have used it fairly recently while my current phone was being replaced after dying. It is the only phone I have kept as a spare, and although it is probably coming to the end of its use, I will always have a certain nostalgia for it.

This was my first mobile phone that had a camera with a 4x zoom (and 1.2 megapixels), and also could record videos of 15 seconds. This sounds like nothing compared to today's phones, but at the time (to me at least) it seemed like cutting edge technology. Th pictures of course look grainy now. However, at the time it was fantastic being able to take photos of my friends and attach them to my contacts in the phone.

My absolutely favourite aspect of this phone was that it was the first time I could use an MP3 as a ringtone and as an alarm clock (even my current phone doesn't do the alarm clock). I used to have Eiffel 65's "Move your Body" as a ringtone, and as an alarm clock for a while I had "Shut you F***ing face uncle f***er" (from South Park the Movie), but then found it was waking me up in a bit of a bad mood. The phone had 41 megabytes of memory, which is nothing compared to today's standards, so unfortunately couldn't be used as an MP3 player.

I primarily use phones for texting, and this was good at the time, with good predictive text. However, I struggle to use it now as it's an old number texting phone, and i am used to using a keyboard set up for texting. However, after a day or so I do get back into the swing of it. As a phone for making and receiving calls though it was easy to use, and I never had any problems with it. In addition to this battery life was great, and still is when I use it now. I think though this is mainly because I spent so much time on the Internet on my current phone that it eats the battery, so needs charging every night.

Other good features were the FM radio and headphones which came with it, and it was also really easy to navgiate around the menus.

This was a lovely looking phone, a perfect size, and very easy to use. Sometimes I look back in fondness for these early days of mobile phones, but I just wouldn't be without the Internet on it today.

Nevertheless it gets 5 out of 5 stars as 10 years ago it was an amazing phone!

15.01.2015 11:44

Advantages

• "No holes in walls!"
              • "Energy rating B"
              • "Dries clothes"

Disadvantages

• "The noise of the alarm to say it's done"
              • "Sometimes takes two attempts"
              • "Takes a while"

A great tumble dryer if you don't want a hole in the wall!

Everyone told me that we would need a tumble dryer when we had a baby so my boyfriend and I discussed it. We didn't really want to have to put a hole in the side of the house, so we decided that a condensor dryer was the right option. We decided on this 7kg Beko dryer which cost £200. We also bought a washing machine and chest freezer at the same time, also made by Beko!

As no holes need to be made you pretty much just plug this dryer in and you're ready to go. It is easy to use, even for me. Simply put the clothes in, turn it on, and press start. We usually have it set to "Normal Dry" , but put it on "extra dry" if the clothes aren't done after the first time. There are various other settings, and also a time delay feature.

There is a weight sensor so you don't have to do anything at all, the dryer will just do its business until it thinks it's done. It does take a long time (well over an hour - but I don't time it) - you can easily pause it if you need to go out, as dryers shouldn't be left unattended (so don't use them at night either) due to fire risk.

Usually clothes are dried adequately, but sometimes some things can be a bit damp, in which case I just put them in again.

Being a condensor, at the end of each cycle you need to empty the water (I do this in the sink). It's very easy to do, and quite satisfying. After every couple of cycles I usually empty the fluff container - I have no idea where my fluff used to go before we had a tumble dryer, but it is very satisfying (moreso than the water) emptying that into the bin).

The one thing that really annoys me though is the noise that it makes when it is done. It is really irritating, and intermittently makes it until you open the door. I wish it would just do it the once. In the newborn days I was very sleep deprived and got very upset by it, and also couldn't figure out how to open the door (you just pull it quite hard) and had an argument with my boyfriend about it.

Otherwise I love this, and wouldn't be without it. In the summer I will hang things out on nice days, but our weather in Cumbria is so unpredictable that sometimes it really doesn't seem worth it. We are now trying to avoid hanging up clothes in the house (to reduce condensation), so use this after every wash at the moment, and only hang up things that don't tumble like wool. Although it will use electricity up, it is an energy rating B so isn't as heavy on consumption as many tumble dryers.

14.01.2015 22:23

Advantages

• "Gorgeous moose"

One of my first moose!

As you will know (and even if you don't know, you can no doubt guess from my username) I am slightly obsessed with moose. As a result I have an absolutely massive collection of moose related merchandise including probably 250 moose cuddly toys of varying sizes.

This TY Beanie Baby Chocolate moose was one of the first in my moose collection and I believe I received him for Christmas 1997. According to the Internet this Beanie Baby was available from 1993 to 1998. I actually now have a second one of these cuddly toys which was a gift to my baby from his auntie. It is not suitable for children under three though, so he will have to wait a little bit to be allowed to play with him unsupervised.

My moose is actually called Karl Moose (back when I used to name my moose), and has a pierced antler and wears a purple ribbon round his neck. But these are my additions to the moose. On its own the mosoe is a lovely brown colour with bright orange antlers, and little black plastic eyes. He's a lovely looking moose. Being a beanie baby is is full of beans and is slightly maneuverable, meaning he can be made to sit up as well as lie down which is lovely.

Originally the moose had a poem which came with him (I have read that he was the first beanie baby to have this). Obviously his favourite food is chocolate.

You can buy these on eBay new for around £5 which is a good price for a lovely cuddly toy. If you have one of the original ones though with tags on it might be worth £100s.

5 out of 5 stars from me.

13.01.2015 22:24

Advantages

• "Good first train set"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive at full price"
              • "Gets stuck on track"
              • "Train doesn't stop easily"

A baby's first train set!

My parents asked me what I would like for Christmas for my baby who was 6 months old, and I said to surprise us, so knowing how my nephew had loved his Happyland toys they got us this train set. The rrp is a whopping £50 (from the Early Learning Centre), but I believe my mum got it on special offer for £25 which is just as well as while it's nice it isn't worth the higher price tag.

The train track is an oval shape made up of 6 pieces of track. There is a red engine, a passenger carriage and a tender (the bit that holds the coal). There is a yellow racing car, a train station and station sign which goes opposite, and a level crossing. Three people are included, the train driver, the racing car driver, and a woman who I think is meant to be the passenger, but I usually have her in the car. The train starts moving when a person is put in the driving seat which is clever. It makes quite a noise going round (which isn't so bad at the moment) and tends to get a bit stuck round the level crossing bit which is unfortunate. It also stops at the station for a bit which is clever. The annoying thing about the train is that to stop it you don't simply remove the driver, you have to actually take it off the train track and then put it down. This might be hard for a child to control.

The toy is meant for 18 months plus, but at 7 months my baby gets very excited about the train going round and waves his arms around erratically. He is also able to remove the level crossing barrier to put in his mouth and chew (there are no small pieces, so is safe for a baby). He also manages to reach out for the train and knock it off the rails. I think we will get a lot of enjoyment out of this, but it might get a bit annoying in time. An extension rail set is also available which we might consider in the future depending on how much by baby enjoys it. We will probably be given other happyland toys to add to the collection.

The train runs on 2 AA batteries, I imagine will last for quite a while though.

4 out of 5 stars from us.

• Elastoplast Dressing Strip / First Aid / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
              12.01.2015 20:13

Advantages

• "Can be cut to size"

Disadvantages

• "More expensive than non branded"

A good dressing for slightly larger cuts.

We have a wide selection of plasters in the bathroom cabinet, and in other various places in the house, like the kitchen, where most cuts seem to occur!

I am not sure when or where we purchased this, but looking on the Internet I think it cost somewhere around the £2.50 mark.

The box contains ten dressing lengths which are each 6cm by 10cm. They are not plasters as such, hence the name dressing lengths, but as you can imagine they are a really good side, especially for those cuts which are bigger than the usual small plaster sizes. In addition to this they can easily be cut to the right size with a pair of scissors (there is a note on the box that scissors aren't included!) Of course this can mean that you end up with some leftover pieces which can't be used, but such is life.

The fabric dressings go on really easily and boast strong adhesive (which of course does mean it hurts a bit when they are pulled off). They also have a non-stick pad which 'protects and cushions the wound'. I find these comfortable to wear. They are not waterproof but I find that they can withstand a shower if I'm lucky. They are suitable for the usual cuts and grazes, but they are also quite comfortable on the back of the foot if you have a bad blister.

My pack has a best before date of 2017 - whether or not they'll be used by then I don't know, but I imagine that the worst that can happen is that they lose their stickiness.

These might not be the cheapest, however Elastoplast is the most recognised name in plasters for a reason. They are high quality, and do the job.

12.01.2015 11:41

Advantages

• "Stick well"
              • "Very cute"

Disadvantages

• "Not for more serious cuts"

Mr Happy cheers me up when I've cut myself!

As a child I feel I missed out as I never got exciting plasters when I cut myself. Mind you, it was the 1980s and exciting plasters were in their early days, so only some of my friends were lucky enough to get them.

As a result, as an adult I like to treat myself to children's plasters. And, of course when my baby is older and cuts himself, he will be a very lucky little boy who gets all the best plasters.

These Mr Happy plasters cost £1 from one of the discount shops (can't remember which one now),and I also have the very similar Mr Bump ones (which I actually prefer as he is one of my favourites). Inside the box (which has a large picture of Mr Happy on it) there are 16 plasters. 10 of these are for fingers and are 23 x 58 mm - these ones have three small pictures of Mr Happy on them. The other 6 are 30 x 55mm and designed for grazes - these ones have one large picture of Mr Happy on them.

The plasters are hypoallergenic and latex free, and protect wounds from dirt and bacteria. They aren't waterproof, however since the surface is shiny they protect against water better than many plasters. These are good quality plasters, and I think absolutely perfect for cheering up a child (or an adult like myself) when they have cut themselves. They always make me feel happy anyway - but these more than other colourful plasters as I love the Mr Men!

11.01.2015 14:47

Advantages

• "It works!"

Disadvantages

• "Can cause a reaction around the mouth"
                • "Tastes absolutely vile!"

An essential whilst waiting to see the dentist!

Just under a couple of years ago I was suddenly struck down by toothache. Of course it was a Friday evening, and I couldn't even phone the dentist to make an appointment until the Monday. Therefore I had to dose myself up on painkillers which didn't even seem to touch the surface of the pain. Some recommended Clove Oil to me, and I found that I actually had some in our medicine cupboard which was out of date, but I didn't really care at this point. Since I didn't actually know where in my mouth the pain was coming from (I had no idea as it just hurt all over) I just applied it to all of my back teeth (with a cotton bud) as I could feel it was somewhere back there. I was initially struck by what a DISGUSTING taste it is, and I ended up having to spit repeatedly into the sink. However, almost instantly the pain seemed to become more tolerable as my mouth was numbed.

I'm not sure how much I used it that weekend, but it definitely helped. However, you are meant to avoid skin and gum contact, and this is pretty difficult. So after a few days I had what seemed like burns around the edges of my mouth. But I didn't really care.

It turned out that my final remaining wisdom tooth was impacting, and I also needed a couple of fillings and an inlay (I was lucky to get to 30 without needing any), so that was removed, and I made a later appointment for the fillings and inlay.

In the meantime I was struck down by toothache again while we were away for the weekend, and I didn't have my clove oil (or cotton buds) so bought some from Boots. It cost £2.99 for the 10ml bottle which is excellent value for what it is. Although it by no means cured my toothache, it definitely helped lessen the pain that weekend.

Included in the little box there were instructions, and further information, so make sure you read this. It does say that it shouldn't be used by pregnant women, however the Internet has mixed views on this - at the end of the day toothache in pregnancy must be a nightmare only being able to take paracetomol, so I think I would probably take the risk if absolutely necessary.

I would highly recommend this to people with toothache. Of course it is essential that you see a dentist to find the root (lol) of the problem, but in the meantime this is a godsend. Just wish it didn't taste so absolutely vile - the smell is quite nice and reminds me of Christmas!

11.01.2015 10:04

Advantages

• "Babies like it"
                  • "It works"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't work for everything"
                  • "Needing it in the first place"

Pain relief for babies and small children!

As an adult when pain hits, the first port of call when it won't shift on its own (for me anyway) is usually paracetomol. So it's not surprising that Calpol is the first medication that we tend to use when babies and children are in pain or ill since it's a paracetomol based suspension.

Amazingly we have got to over 7 months and are still on our first bottle of Calpol. However, I recently bought another couple in - it was £2.50 for a 100ml bottle in our Savers shop (it was £2.99 in Boots). Sometimes it's on speical offer in Aldi baby events for £2.

We had the bottle in as many people need to use it after their baby has had their first lot of jabs and has a high temperature as a result (it is suitable from 2 months) Luckily Cameron was absolutely fine and we didn't need to crack open the bottle then. In fact it wasn't until he was 6 months and suffering with a cold, cough and a bit of a temperature that we did open it. The dose for a 3-6 month old is 2.5ml, and for a 6-24 month old is 5ml (this can be used up to 6 years where the dose is 10ml). As he hadn't had it before I just gave 2.5ml the first few times. Included in the box is a very useful Easy dose syringe, and it is really easy to get the right amount and then put it in baby's mouth. Word of caution though, when giving 5ml you will probably need to do it gradually rather than in one go!

This is the sugar free version, but to me it smells and tastes (have only tried on my finger) the same as it did when I was a child. It is strawberry flavour, and Cameron seems to like it - I am not a fan, but then I wasn't as a child either.

Calpol does work, it certainly reduces high temperatures, and helps with mild pains. For worse pain then you will probably need to use baby nurofen as well (but thankfully we haven't had to yet) and all sorts of other things when teething happens.

Obviously there are instructions in the box with further information which you should read before giving this to your baby or child. Incidentally it does say not to use for more than 3 days in a row without speaking to a doctor or pharmacist, but my doctor said it was fine to do it for longer as often babies pick up one thing after another.

5 out of 5 stars from us.

• Asda Fabric Plasters / First Aid / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
                  10.01.2015 14:30

Advantages

• "Good sizes"
                  • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "None really"

A good cheap plaster.

This 40 pack of Fabric plasters from Asda cost just 80p, meaning that it only costs 2p a plaster.

It's a good idea to have plasters in the house in event of injury, and we tend to have them in both the bathroom and the kitchen. This packet lives in the kitchen so it's easier to get to following those accidents caused by the kitchen knives. To be honest our knives are so dangerously sharp that we probably need far more than a pack of plasters. However, these ones worked ok for my last injury even if it did take quite a few.

In the box there are 20 plasters 19 x 72mm (pretty much a standard sized plaster. There are 12 19 x 38mm (smaller ones), and 8 38 x72mm (which is a decent size). Each plaster is wrapped up.

The plasters come out of their packaging easily and go on well. My last cut was in an awkward place at the tip of my finger so I actually used two - one to go on the cut, and one to wrap around to hold that plaster in place. These plasters are not waterproof, so I had to change them after I'd got them wet doing the washing up later (it was washing the knife that made me cut my finger in the first place) - however, I don't find waterproof plasters so comfortable generally.

These plasters do have an expiry date, I don't know how old our pack is, but it says they should be used by February this year. I imagine that after this point the stickiness goes. Looking in my box now we only have a couple of the smaller ones and 5 of the bigger ones left now.

These are good plasters, and for the price I don't think you can complain!

• New Look Zip Up Hoodie / Clothing / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
                  10.01.2015 11:24

Advantages

• "Wears well"
                  • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Goes bobbly in the end"

A good cheap basic hoodie.

I bought this hoodie from New Look two years ago, on special offer at £7 (not sure what its original price was, but probably double that). The one I got was a dark pink/red colour rather than the one dooyoo is showing, however it was otherwise the same with white zip and draw strings round the hood.

I got it in a size 12, and this was a pretty generous size. I wore it a lot, both before, during and after pregnancy - sometimes done up, and sometimes undone, depending on the weather, and also how big my pregnancy bump got. I usually wore a black or white top underneath, but it also went well with some of my coloured and patterned tops.

I particularly liked this hoodie due to the slightly unusual colour, and I felt it added colour to my outfits. It has nice pockets on the front, which are useful for keeping tissues and the like in. The hood is also comfortable when up (e.g. when taking out the wheelie bins in the rain). It also seemed to be suitable to wear in all seasons as wasn't as thick as some, so aside from really hot summers days I wore it all times of the year.

I speak in the past tense as I have finally had to say goodbye to my hoodie. Having worn and washed it a million times it was just getting to bobbly to wear anymore, and it was at the stage where I didn't really want to be wearing it out of the house, and I already have a couple of hair dye/blackberry picking jumpers so didn't need to keep it. However, I will definitely keep my eye out for hoodies on sale in New Look as this was good quality for the price I paid.