marymoose

marymoose
  • Comments

Member since: 03.01.2008

31.01.2015 22:09

Advantages

• "Lasts well"
      • "Nice lid on bottle"
      • "Nice scent"

Disadvantages

Another 5 star man's scent from Hugo Boss!

We have now come to the end of my reviews of my boyfriend's fragrance collection, as while there are a few I haven't reviewed they are not in dooyoo's catalogue. So perhaps I will do some more at a later date,

Having reviewed the Hugo Boss fragrance called "Boss" I am not reviewing the one called "Hugo" (also very imaginatively named".

This comes in a plain looking bottle with a red label on it, and quite a special lid with a little strap on it. It reminds me a bit of a hip flask. Unscrew the lid and there is a nozzle to dispense the fragrance. We have the 100ml bottle which retails at £40.25 on Amazon which is a reasonable price.

This is another quite masculine fragrance - they also do a version for women if you want to have matching fragrances. However, although I love the smell of Hugo Boss fragrances on men I will stick to my own brands of perfume for now.

This is described on Amazon as 'a blend of fig-enhanced zesty citrus, mandarin, lemon, orange and grapefruit' and 'Naturally warmed with notes of massoia wood producing this subtle scent'. It's funny how all these descriptions of fragrances seem to roll into one. At the end of the day it's very difficult to describe a smell, and many of these fragrances seem to be very similar with their inclusion of citrus fruits and woods.

This is a good everyday aftershave for a man, and the smell lasts well.

31.01.2015 21:55

Advantages

• "Nice scent"
        • "Good value"

A 5 star scent for men!

My boyfriend has several Hugo Boss fragrances in his extensive collection which lives on the top of our bathroom cabinet. This one is imaginatively called 'Boss'. We have the 50ml bottle. A 100ml bottle costs £36.39 on Amazon (a 50ml bottle like ours is £23.27), so it is a pretty good price for a decent fragrance.

The bottle is a simple glass bottle with the word boss on the side raised up. The lid is a matt silver colour. Unscrew it and there is a nozzle to apply the fragrance with.

This is a very masculine scent, so not one which I'll be borrowing from my boyfriend. This is one which can be worn at any time of day, or at any time of the year.

According to Amazon "The fragrance contains fresh top notes include both apple and citrus fruits. In the heart of the fragrance lie the sweeter and warmer notes of geranium, cinnamon and cloves. At the smouldering base lie the notes of dry spicy scents of sandalwood, vetiver, cedarwood, olivewood, amber and musk create a distinctly masculine dry down. Be yourself, yet aspire to be a Boss man." - Somewhere else I've seen it described as oriental. Personally I think most of these descriptions are a load of tawddle. It's a nice fresh scent, and is clearly a very popular one. It's probably best for people to try fragrances before they buy them anyway to see if it suits them. This is one that I think suits my boyfriend, and the fragrance lasts well.

31.01.2015 20:27

Advantages

• "Lovely scent"

Disadvantages

• "Can't see how much is left"
          • "Quite expensive"

A nice scent in a weird bottle!

I'm coming towards the end now of reviewing my boyfriend's extensive fragrance collection which lives on top of the bathroom cabinet. This Emporio Armani He aftershave is actually one of my favourites. To look at it's not like a normal fragrance, looking more like a bottle of body spray. It's about the size of an Impulse body spray bottle, but it is completely black. To apply the fragrance you just press down on the top of the container rather than having to push down an actual nozzle. One downside of this bottle is that there is no way of telling how much of the fragrance is left in the bottle.

This very plain bottle contains 100 ml. Looking on Amazon it costs around £50 for a bottle this size so it is not the cheapest. There seem to be several different fragrances which have similar bottles, and I nearly put this review in the wrong place on dooyoo.

Amazon describes the fragrance as "natural, sparkling blend of Japanese yuzu, sage and cardamom that harmonize with mosssy, precious woods and warm musks. The mood is natural, refined and dynamic." It really is a lovely scent, certainly very masculine, and perfect for a night out. I do think it smells fresh and like the woods, and a bit citrussy which will be the Japanese yazo - I reviewed another aftershave the other day with this in it!

I would recommend this aftershave. It is one of my favourites in my boyfriend's collection and I like the smell of him when he is wearing it.

30.01.2015 22:34

Advantages

• "Pretty bottle"
            • "Long lasting"
            • "A nice fragrance"

Disadvantages

A nice scent in a pretty bottle!

My boyfriend has quite an extensive collection of fragrances in his collection which lives on top of the bathroom cabinet, but this is the one with the bottle which stands out the most, and to be honest it surprised me that it was in the collection. I think it was probably a gift though, and it's not one of his favourites by any means although I think it's very nice.

The bottle is so distinctive, and obviously Jean Paul Gaultier - and it originally came in a tin. Being Le Male fragrance, this one is shaped like a male torso. There are women's perfumes shaped like women. This is a very thin looking male with the generous package down below. The frosted glass is a lovely deep green colour with blue stripes on the top half.

The bottle has a nozzle to release the spray, and there is also a useful (or perhaps not so) safety catch that stops it from spraying. This did mean that I just managed to spray it in my face as I couldn't get it to spray, then I removed it and tried again, but this time spraying in my face. Excellent. Not to worry though, it does smell very nice.

We have a 75ml bottle which is currently on sale on Amazon for £28, so this is a neither cheap nor extremely expensive aftershave. Although I don't know anything about the notes of fragrances, Le Male has the following:
            Top notes: Mint, lavender, bergamot
            Middle notes: Cinnamon, cumin, orange blossom
            Base notes: Vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood, cedarwood

Personally I#d say it is a lovely fresh smelling fragrance, and I can definitely detect the mint if not much else that I can actually identify! My boyfriend doesn't need to put a lot of this on, and the smell lasts well.

4 out of 5 stars.

30.01.2015 12:04

Advantages

• "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "None really"

A nice Japanese fragrance!

The next fragrance to review from my boyfriend's extensive collection on top of the bathroom cabinet is L'eau d'issey pour homme by Issey Miyake. Not one which rolls off the tongue.

My boyfriend has the 75ml bottle. It is quite a plain looking bottle with frosted glass, and a dull silver lid. It is quite flat in shape (so it quite a tall bottle), and the lid is like a square. This was launched in 1994.

The 75ml bottle seems to cost around the £30 mark, but a 125ml bottle around £35 which is much better value. Obviously it pays to shop around too.

The bottle has a nozzle spray dispenser as fragrances generally do. The initial smell is very nice and it is definitely a very masculine scent. Amazon describes it as "A timeless fragrance with a very masculine signature where the vibrating freshness of yuzu meets sandalwood." Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit, and I can definitely detect these even with my useless nose where perfumes are concerned (I have no idea what these base and middle notes are). Since Issey Miyake is Japanese (he is a fashion designer apparently, although I have never heard of him I have to admit), this is not surprising. However the bottle does say on the bottom that the product is made in France - I think a lot of fragrances are.

I think this can be worn at day or night, but is perhaps more geared towards nights. The smell lasts really well which is important.

29.01.2015 21:44

Advantages

• "Nice enough"

Disadvantages

• "Nothing special"

Pi is ok, but nothing special - a bit like Maths.

Continuing my theme of reviewing my boyfriend's extensive collection of fragrances (I always tend to call it aftershave, but not sure if this is correct of not), I am now going to talk about Givenchy Pi. Of course it doesn't actually say Pi on the bottle. rather it is the mathematical symbol for Pi, and I have to admit I was quite impressed that I remembered this from school, I don't remember much else from Maths!

My boyfriend has the 100ml bottle which currently sells on Amazon for £37.17 which makes it a fairly expensive fragrance, but not one of the most expensive in the world.

The bottle is clear, so you can see that the perfume is a golden colour rather than being clear. The bottle is a nice shape, with an unusual shaped gold spray nozzle on top.

Amazon describes this as having top notes of Rosemary, Mandarin Orange, Tarragon, Basil, middle notes of Neroli, Geranium, Lily-of-the-Valley, Anise and finally Base notes of Tonka Bean, Almond, Benzoin, Vanilla, Sugar." I don't know what any of these notes mean where perfume is concerned. I can definitely make out the vanilla amd orange scents though, but possibly only because I'm looking out for them.

Although this is a man's fragrance, I don;t think it would be that out of place on a woman - it's not a desperately masculine scent in my opinion.

I think this is an ok fragrance and I don't mind when my boyfriend wears it, but I don't think it's anything special, so would only give it 3 out of 5 stars.

28.01.2015 21:35

Advantages

• "Nice smell"
                  • "Nice bottle"
                  • "Good value"

Disadvantages

A cheap and cheerful nice smelling aftershave.

I can't say that this is a fragrance that I've ever heard of, but it's one of the ones in my boyfriend's extensive collection which I am currently reviewing.

We have the 50ml bottle and I'm not sure what it cost, but a big 100ml bottle can currently be purchased on Amazon for just £14.50 which makes this an excellent value fragrance for men.

The bottle itself is quite normal looking, with frosted glass on the bottom half with some words engraved - "inspiration future optimism vision and creativity" - perhaps this is what you will become if you wear it. The lid of the bottle however is slightly unusual - it is silver coloured but has a sort of lever that you push down to release the fragrance. This is quite a nice touch.

To me with my useless nose, this fragrance reminds me of holidays, but then many many fragrance seem to remind me of holidays. To me it smells a bit like vanilla which I like. It is described on Amazon as having a soft musk and amber scent with base notes of vetiver, musk and amber. I have no idea what this means. It doesn't seem to actually have a vanilla scent, so there might be something wrong with my nose.

My boyfriend tends to wear this one in the summer, and it is another well lasting scent. I would suggest that it is more for the aged 30+ market, but that is just my opinion. I would recommend this, and it really is a very good price for what it is.

28.01.2015 18:07

Advantages

• "Excellent value"
                  • "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "Not for the very young perhaps?"

A timeless fresh scent from Calvin Klein.

My boyfriend has quite a large collection of fragrances - I tend to call them aftershaves, but not sure what the correct terminology is. Maybe it's just perfume for men!

Personally I love the Calvin Klein unisex fragrances, and have used CK One for many years, and also dabbled in CK Be (both of which I have reviewed previously). However, this one "Escape" is a fragrance just for men rather than being a unisex one. My boyfriend has the 100ml bottle which retails at around a very reasonable amount of £20. It has been around now since 1993, so is one which has stood the test of time.

It comes in quite a plain looking cylindrical bottle with frosted glass, and a shiny silver lid. There is a nozzle spray dispenser.

Amazon describes the scent as "An adventurous blend of eucalyptus and melon with citrus, warmed by notes such as rosemary, fir and birch on bases of amber and sandalwood" - I'm not really much good when it comes to describing scents, and generally stick with saying that it smells very nice. I can definitely detect the eucalyptus and citrus in there though. It's one which I like my boyfriend wearing anyway - I think it is a lovely fresh scent. It lasts pretty well throughout the day, but at that price wouldn't be a problem if it needed topping up. I would go with the recommendation that this is one most suited to wear in the daytime.

This might not be the most modern of fragrances, but it's one that you can trust and I think would suit most men (apart fro really young ones perhaps). There is also a women's Escape perfume, but personally I'm not a fan of that one.

28.01.2015 15:12

Advantages

• "Lasts well"
                  • "Nice fragrance"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A nice aquatic scent for men!

Since I've reviewed all of my perfumes I might as well start reviewing my boyfriend's extensive collection. Of course an added bonus of doing this is that he will wear them more frequently while we test them out so to speak!

The 100ml bottle which we have retails at around £40 - £45, so it's not a cheap one by any means. It comes in a very simple but classy looking bottle (not disimilar to Calvin Klein perfumes), and the box it was in originally was pretty simple too.

It was first launched in 1996, so has been around a while now, and my Internet research tells me it is very popular. In fact it does smell very familiar, so I imagine a lot of men must be wearing it.

I'm not a person with any interest whatsoever in top notes, middle notes and end notes where perfume is concerned, but Amazon describes the fragrance as Floral, woody, white floral, powdery, sweet and rose. It is certainly a bit floral, but in a masculine kind of way. It definitely smells aquatic, and would be a perfect summer fragrance for someone on holiday, or simply wishing they were on holiday!

The fragrance has good staying power which is important. It is also not overpowering which is essential. I like the smell of my boyfriend wearing this, and that is the most important thing. It is supposedly a daytime fragrance, but personally I think it would be suitable for evenings too.

4 out of 5 stars from me - would have been 5 if it wasn't for the expense.

28.01.2015 09:47

Advantages

• "Work as well as cheaper products"

Disadvantages

• "Not quite as cheap as some."

A cheap painkiller from Boots.

Regular readers of my reviews might be starting to think that I have a problem with the amount of painkiller reviews that I write. However I can assure you that I haven't, I just have quite a selection in the medicine cupboard as don't like to run out.

I normally buy painkillers in supermarkets, but after childbirth I got my boyfriend's sister to get me some, and she must have gone to Boots as picked up some of these value health ibuprofen tablets. They cost 35p (or 35 advantage points) for a pack of 16 tablets (200mg) which is cheap, but not quite as cheap as some of the supermarket ones.

I tend to take paracetomol as my first port of call, but follow up with ibuprofen if pain is particularly bad. Or I will start with ibuprofen if the pain is particularly muscular based. After childbirth I was taking both paracetomol and ibuprofen, and found that these tablets worked as well as any others. I am reviewing them now as I found 2 tablets left the other day which I took for the pain of a sore throat (I would normally take paracetomol but these were to hand). They were easy to swallow, but I don't have a problem swallowing tablets.

There are instructions in the packet with lists of side effects and who should avoid this, doseage info (no more than 8 in 24 hours etc) so make sure you read before taking. The packagaing is very simple and not particularly attractive (as you can see from dooyoo's picture), but it doesn't need to be.

These work as well as any of the more expensive brands, so I'm not sure why people buy them unless they have no other options (I have had to at petrol stations before now when no cheaper brands available).

27.01.2015 14:16

Advantages

• "Nice enough"

Disadvantages

• "None really unless don't like flavour"

Ok throat sweets, but not my favourite.

My boyfriend lives on these Jakemans Throat and Chest sweets, and although he does use the different flavours, it's the black packet with the menthol flavour which he gets the most. They usually cost about 60p a packet, but are often on offer in Boot for 2 packets for £1.

A packet contains 100g. I haven't ever counted how many are in a packet, but have just weighed an individual sweet which weighed 5g, so that would mean there are 20 in a pack.

Each sweet is individually wrapped, and I prefer them being in a packet unlike lockets or tunes which tend to end up getting squished into a corner in my handbags.

The sweets are aniseed and eucalypus flavour. I have to say I'm not an aniseed fan, but that's just my personal preference. These however are not overpowering, and I don't mind them. Clearly my boyfriend loves them though, as he eats them all the time. Not great when a packet contains 390 calories, and loads of sugar.

I tend to only use them if I have a sore throat and don't have any of my own cough sweets. They do help a sore throat and tickly cough, however I don't find them quite as effective as sweets which have a more liquid inside when you get towards the end of the sweet as I find them more soothing and helpful.

These do seem to be getting more popular and I've seen adverts for them. They are not bad, but I prefer others. I would give 3 stars, although my boyfriend would give 5.

26.01.2015 16:02

Advantages

• "So easy to put car seat in car"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
                      • "Not for extended rear facing"

The simple way to pop your baby's car seat in and out!

Baby car seats are a minefield, and not only do you need to chose a car seat, you also need to choose how you're going to attach it to the seats in your car. Of course, you can fit in in with the seatbelts as everyone has always done. However, it has been found that many people don't strap their car seats in properly, thus leaving their baby at risk. My baby is nearly 8 months old and has been using a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix since birth, and hopefully will be in their until the age of 1. I do find it quite easy to put it in using seatbelts when out in other people's cars. However, we got the Maxi-Cosi Family Fix base to go in our car, just to make it so much easier to get him in and out.

These do retail for around £150, so it is expensive. However, we did get ours second hand for about £70. We chose this one as it also works with the next stage car seat (the Maxi Cosi Pearl) - however, it does NOT work for extended rear facing. In 2018 I believe it will be the law for babies to rear face until the age of 15 months. Therefore this would be redundant after the first stage seat. If you want the 2 way base, then this costs a LOT more. I am now umming and ahhing about what we will do when he gets to one, whether to use this, or whether to fork out for something else.

Anyway, all modern cars now have isofix points in the back seats as standard. Therefore this base easily attaches to the seat in the car. I generally leave this to my boyfriend, as he has to take it in and out as he gives people lifts to work sometimes. Once it is attached, you simply just pop the car seat in (either Cabriofix, Pebble or Pearl), and the three green lights light up and it makes a beep. If this doesn't happen, then it isn't fixed in properly. It did take some getting used to, and was harder when we had a 4 wheel drive car which was higher up, but now I find it so simple, and it is easy to remove just by pulling up the lever.

This really did give me peace of mind, especially in the early days of having a baby. It is also particularly useful when it is pouring with rain and you don't want to be faffing around with a seatbelt.

For what it is, it is a great idea. However, as already said, not for extended rear facing, and I'm not sure if we would have been better just getting the cheaper one which only worked with the first stage car seat and then getting something else for the next one. We will see.

Nonetheless, 4 out of 5 stars.

25.01.2015 18:01

Advantages

• "Exellent car seat"

Disadvantages

• Heavy?

An excellent safe first car seat.

Car seats for children are an absolute minefield, but thankfully it's not a particularly difficult decision for the first stage carseat, and this Maxi Cosi Cabriofix does seem to be one of the (if not the) most popular ones. We actually got ours as part of a deal when we bought our travel system (pram/pushchair), as although it isn't a Maxi Cosi, it does fit onto our Uppababy Vista with the adaptors which is quite simple to do, and useful if you're just going on a short trip when you get to your destination. However, you might or might not be aware that newborns in particular shouldn't really be in a car seat for longer than 2 hours without a break.

Anyway, it's rrp is around the £99 mark, but you can probably get it for less than this if as part of a deal. Inevitably you will be able to find cheap second hand ones, but it is not recommended to buy them second hand in case they have been in an accident.

You will need a car seat to be allowed to take your baby home from hospital (even if you are not travelling by car!) so Cameron was in his from 2 days old. He had the newborn headrest in which we actually managed to keep in until he was 6 months, just to give his head extra support.

We have the Isofix base which means that it is dead easy just to clip in place safely into the car. However, it is also very easy to fit in the car using a seatbelt as I have when going out in other people's cars.

Being a 0+ seat is is rear facing. Cameron is now nearly 8 months and still has plenty of space in it (it is only too small when their head is level with the top) so hoping that it will last him until at least a year old. Of course as he gets heavier it gets heavier to carry around = it seemed pretty heavy right from the start. They can be in it up to 13kg, Cameron is currently just over 8kg.

It is easy to strap him in, and adjust the seatbelt to make it tighter. However, the little crotch support thing can be a bit of a nuisance at times.

This is a great carseat, and has excellent safety reviews, so I would highly recommend it.

5 out of 5 stars from us.

• Tissot T-Touch / Watch / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
                        24.01.2015 15:41

Advantages

• "Variety of features"
                        • "Nice looking"

Disadvantages

• "Altimeter doesn't work"

A very nice man's watch.

My boyfriend has this watch and wears it pretty much every day. It cost approximately £350, although they can often be found for a lot more than that. He has had it for around 5 years (the battery has only needed to be changed once, which is pretty good going).

Unlike dooyoo's picture (showing a black and silver coloured watch), my boyfriend's watch is all stainless steel with a diver's style bracelet which can be adjusted to fit your wrist. It is otherwise exactly the same though.

It doesn;t have numbers on, but it's easy to tell the time as there are little dashes on the clockface. It also has a digital display which you can either have showing the date, or the time in seconds. It has 6 features which can be accessed via the touchscreen function of the watch - an altimeter, a chronograph (stopwatch), compass, alarm, thermoeter, and barometer. The downside is that the altimeter doesn't work properly anymore, it currently says we're 14 metres below sea level, when clearly we are not. The thermometer does work, but you have to take it off your wrist and let it adjust to room temperature rather than the temperature of your wrist. The compass does work well. The alarm works, but it might not be loud enough for some.

This is a very nice looking watch. It is water resistant up to 30 metres, so you can wear it swimming if you want. My boyfriend finds it to be a comfortable watch to wear - it is quite heavy, but fairly standard for a man#s watch.

4 out of 5 stars.

• 2true Cover n' Conceal / Make Up / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
                        22.01.2015 22:44

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not fantastic"

A cheap concealer which isn't fantastic.

As I've said in previous reviews, I don't wear a great deal of makeup. although I don't really like leaving the house without foundation on and a bit of blusher to add some colour to my face! Of course if there are spots added into the equation, then some sort of concealer is necessary as well, and of course this is more important tham anything else where makeup is concerned.

I have been very happy using either Collection 2000 or Rimmel concealers for the past 15 or more years. They are cheap and so the job perfectly well both with covering spots, but also concealing under eye bags and other blemishes. However, I was buying some makeup in Superdrug in the 2True range. Items cost £1.99 or 3 for £5. I had already chosen two other items, so wanted a third, and since my Collection 2000 concealer was coming to the end I thought I'd take a chance with this.

It comes in three shades - light, medium and dark. Having pale skin I chose light. I have applied this when I have spots and blemishes, and while it's not too bad, I find it doesn;t blend in as easily as either my Collection 2000 or Rimmel concealers. I find it leaves it a bit cakey looking - not a great look when you want to draw attention away from any spots!

I can't really complain too much for the price I paid, however as my other concealers which work better are also cheap, then it is slightly disappointing.

3 out of 5 stars from me.