marymoose

marymoose
  • Comments

Member since: 03.01.2008

19.12.2014 22:05

Advantages

• "Nice squeak"
      • Cute

Disadvantages

• Expensive?

A cute baby toy Penguin!

I love Lamaze toys - my first was of course the Lamaze moose which I got many years before Cameron was born, in fact we now have two! We have build up a little collection of Lamaze toys since his birth, mostly as gifts from people. They really are great toys as they are suitable from birth.

Recently we took Cameron (who is now 6 months) to see Father Christmas. It cost £6 to see Father Christmas, and the gift that Cameron was given was this Lamaze penguin. We were so impressed with how well suited the toys were to the childrens' ages, and especially finding that it was such a high quality toy.

This Lamaze penguin has a blue tube shaped body which can easily be grasped by the baby, and a very cute penguin head on top, and arms. The Lamaze logo is sewn into the 'body'. When you squeeze it, a very cure squeaking noise is made, and it actually sounds quite penguin like (my boyfriend and I think so anyway). When Cameron is in a good mood (ie. not tired) he smiles when I make it squeak. When I put toys on his bumbo tray he is happy to pick the penguin up and then drop it on the floor for me to pick up and put back on the tray. I think this means he likes it!

I have looked on Amazon, and this costs £6.98 currently which is a bit on the steep side. I would say it is worth buying if you can find it somewhere near the £4 mark (like the Lamaze zebra rattle which Cameron also has). However, as a gift from a Santa's Grotto it was a fantastic toy.

4 out of 5 stars from me and Cameron!

• Butter Yourself / Body Care / 10 Readings / 9 Ratings
      02.12.2014 22:36

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
      • Moisturises

Disadvantages

• Expensive!
      • "Not my favourite scent"

Ok if in a gift set, but otherwise expensive!

I received a large 500ml bottle of this Soap and Glory Butter Yourself Moisture lotion in the massive gift set that I received for Christmas from my boyfriend last year.

As a rule I don't really have the time for moisture lotions and body butters and all of this kind of thing, but for the purposes of review writing I will make exceptions. Also, as we are nearing Christmas once again I feel I should actually use the products I have before getting given a load of new ones.

This is in the usual Soap and Glory pink themed packaging, with a picture of a 1950s style woman on the front. This lotion is said to have notes of frozen yuzu, orange oil, green fig, and jungle pomelo essence. I have no idea what these are meant to smell like, but the effect is very nice - citrussy and fresh smelling. This would compliment the Sugar Crush shower gel pretty well I think, but not so much the traditional soap and glory pink flavour.

After showering I applied this all over to slightly damp skin. Normally I don't have the time for such things, but if my boyfriend works nights I try and do the hair washing and long showers before bed, so making life easier in the morning when trying to keep the baby quiet! This leaves my skin feeling nicely moisturised, and while it's not my favourite scent in the world, it does smell nice.

I wouldn't personally but this , this bottle costs £10 which is a lot in my opinion. However, it can be bought in the 3 for 2 offers in Boots.

02.12.2014 22:10

Advantages

• "Feels clean"
        • "It moisturises"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive for what it is"
        • "Not my favourite smell"

It works, but I'm not a fan of peach smells!

I got this Peaches and Clean 3-in-1 wash off as part of the massive Soap and Glory gift set that my boyfriend gave me for Christmas last year. At night I tend to just wipe my make up off/cleanse using a facial wipe, but for the purposes of writing a review I have been using this facial wash instead for the past week. It was a good excuse to use it anyway, even if annoyingly it means that somehow I have managed to lose my nose ring along the way, probably when drying my face afterwards!

I have a 200ml bottle which retails at £8, or can be bought in the 3 for 2 offers in Boots.

The bottle is slightly different to dooyoo's picture, being clear, and the wash is white. The writing is in pink though like other products. This is described as a deep purifying cleanser, with special clogged t-zone formula with peach & GoJuice extracts and oxyginseng technology. It all sounds very posh. In reality it really is just a face wash. It does smell very peachy (reminds me of Archers, which isn't really a great thing after a bad drunken night in 1996) and is ok, but not my favourite by any means. Just use a couple of pumps, then wash off. It does leave my face feeling clean and moisturised, and it feels and looks good the next day too. I haven't had any spots in the week I've been using it, so that must be a good thing.

I think that if this had the traditional Soap and Glory pink fragrance then I would score this higher, but really although it is a nice enough facial wash, I'm not a massive fan of peach smells, so can only give this 3 out of 5!

02.12.2014 21:56

Advantages

• Exfoliates
        • "It's ok"

Disadvantages

• "Not my favourite"

A nice scrub, but not the best!

Continuing my quest to review all my Soap and glory products I came across a small (50ml) tub of "Scrub 'em and leave 'em Body Buff". I got this in a Soap and Glory travel sized Gift set a couple of years ago, but assuming it was moisturising cream or something like that I hadn't actually got round to using it. You can buy a mini pot like this for £2.50, or a large 300ml tub for £8, or as part of a 3 for 2 offer in Boots.

To use it says to scoop out a handful, rub it all over, and then rinse. Therefore I used this instead of shower gel. It is a weird pale pink colour, and is quite bitty. This does feel like it's exfoliating my skin well as I put it on. It smells nice (ingredients are listed on the peel off label on the bottom of the tub), but not as nice as the Scrub of your Life which has a more traditional Soap & Glory fragrance. It says it includes Babassu oil and sea salt.

I do like this though, it smells like holidays (that'll be the sea salt), and is very refreshing in smell, and how it makes me feel. However, to use a handful means that this small tub only really lasts a total of 3 uses which isn't as cost effective as a shower gel. That said though, it's useful when your body needs that extra scrub.

I think 3 out of 5 stars as it's a nice enough product, but not the best scrub by Soap and Glory.

02.12.2014 20:36

Advantages

• Cleans
        • "Smells lovely"

Disadvantages

• "Not a long term fix!"

A lovely smelling hand gel!

Shortly after having my baby, my friend came up for the day to visit, and she brought some lovely clothes for the baby, but also a couple of practical gifts for me, including dry shampoo and this Soap and Glory "Hand Maid" hand gel. I believe she knows that I love Soap and Glory products as well, but she gave it to me saying that it would be very useful now I have a baby!

This little 50ml bottle is clear, and you can see the light pink liquid through it. The text on the bottle is the usual Soap and Glory type face.

This is described as antibacterial hand cleansing gel, for tube, air travel and commuter use! To use (instructions on the back) 'deploy a generous splodge of Hand Maid onto your palms, then rub it all around your hands and between your fingers until it absorbs".

Initially this bottle made it's way into the changing box which isn't that helpful as if you get poo on your fingers then you really do need to wash your hands, or at least use a wipe until you're able to get to the sink. However now I have this in my changing bag and will sometimes use just to freshen up my hands after playgroup or whatever (if I can be bothered!). The liquid is much the same consistency as any hand gel and does rub in easily. This however is very different to other hand gels as it smells absolutely lovely, like other Soap and Glory pink products.

I would highly recommend this for the smell. I'm not sure if it's as good as other anti-bacterial hand gels, but I'm not that fussed. This is good just for freshening up.

4 out of 5 stars from me.

01.12.2014 23:00

Advantages

• "It works"
        • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Need to reapply frequently"

A cheap sun tan lotion!

We have two Lacura Suncare Moisturising Sun Sprays in our bathroom drawers, one of these is an SPF 15 Medium and the other is an SPF 30 High. These were purchased from Aldi for the bargain price (compared to other suntan lotions) for £3 each.

They come in yellowy orange bottles with a spray nozzle on top. There is loads of information on the back of the bottles. I find these much more practical to use than lotions which don't have a spray and have to be rubbed in much more.

To apply you need to spray liberally all over, then rub in, but being a spray it goes on pretty easily, and smells nice (to me it is that smell that reminds me of holidays!) It says on the bottle to shake well before use (I don't usually remember to do that), to apply 15 minutes before exposure, 15 minutes into exposure, and then again every 1-2 hours. This does seem somewhat frequent. I don't think I have ever applied that often - I tend to just reapply when I feel like I need it, but of course this isn't an exact science. I did burn slightly once this year (and in May as well!), but I think that was more to do with the fact that my skin was extra sensitive due to pregnancy, and it was too late by the time I actually applied the sun cream.

There is a lot more left in the Factor 30 bottle than the Factor 15 bottle, I think because I like to use a lower factor after getting a slight base tan. Hopefully this will get used up next summer. I'd definitely get this sun tan lotion again as it is a very good price, and seems to work.

4 out of 5 stars from me.

01.12.2014 22:21

Advantages

• "Easy to apply"
        • "Smells fantastic"

Disadvantages

• "I don't have time for it!"

A lovely body butter if you have the time!

I absolutely love Soap and Glory products - the packaging, the smell...everything. Therefore I was really pleased to receive one of those huge gift sets from my boyfriend last Christmas. However, as with anything like that, there are some products that are top of my list of things to use, and others which get left until last,

As a rule I don't really have time for body butters, moisturisers and things like that, especially not now I have a baby. As long as I have a shower I am pretty happy with things! However, with all these lovely products to use I do try and make an effort on occasions.

I have a 300ml tup of The Righteous Butter (I also have a small travel sized one from a smaller gift set I was given). It has a 1950s style woman on the lid. Everythig seems to be written on the tub in French and English, such as "Lost that rubbing feeling? Why not try the righteous butter". It contains softening shea butter and aloe vera, and lots of other ingredients which are listed on the back.

To use this body butter apply after showering to damp skin, rubbing it in until it all sinks in. This body butter does rub in pretty easily unlike some which can take a lot of time. The butter is a creamy white colour, and sort of glistens. But the thing which makes it stand out is the absolutely amazing smell. It has that familiar Soap and Glory scent which I think is amazing. It perfectly compliments shower gels such as Clean on Me.

This does leave my skin feeling soft and smelling lovely. I just wish I had the time to use it more religiously. As it happens my tubs are going to last me quite a while.

4 out of 5 stars from me!

01.12.2014 22:10

Advantages

• "Does the trick"
        • Cheap

Disadvantages

A good cheap heat defence spray!

I bought this Asda Essentials Heat Defence spray as it was a lot cheaper than everything else on the shelf. I think it cost about £2, but I'm not entirely sure, and can't find the product on the Asda website - I wonder if it is still available.

It's in a nice looking purple bottle with pink writing on the front. The bottle contains 200ml. On the back is various information such as ingredients.

I bought this because I use hair straighteners, and want to protect my hair as much as possible. Since having a baby I don't get the chance to straighten my hair as much as I usually would (probably once every two weeks instead of once a day), so the bottle is lasting me forever.

To use it simply spray onto either damp or dry hair before drying, straightening or using other heated appliances. I tend to spray it quite liberally. I quite like its slightly floral scent.

This spray is meant to protect hair, tame frizzy, static and flyaway hair, give it moisture lock conditioning, and a vitacomplec nourishes and restores from root to tip. I'm not sure it does all of this, but I certainly feel better straightening my hair knowing that I have at least done something to try and protect it. I have used various other products like this in the past, most of which have cost at least twice as much, and I think it works equally well to the more expensive products. My hair isn't in perfect condition by any means, but I'm sure this helps.

5 out of 5 stars from me.

27.11.2014 14:14

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
        • "Moisturises the feet"

Disadvantages

• "Don't see the need!"

Helps your feet if you have time for such things!

I was lucky enough to receive a large Soap and Glory gift box for Christmas last year from my boyfriend, and Heel Genius was one of the products inside it. As a rule I don't have time for such things, even less so since having a baby. However, since I love Soap and Glory, and since it was a present, it seems rude not to at least try it.

Unlike dooyoo's picture this comes in a pink tube, the same colour as other Soap and Glory products. It is described as "Amazing Foot Cream Marvel", and as "Better than a Pedicure" (having never had one I wouldn't know). On the back of the tube there is information about applying the product, and an ingredients list, which I won't regurgitate.

To use, it says to massage a generous layer of the product onto clean feet every night (or when you remember), slip on cotton socks, and let it soak in while you sleep.

When squeezing out the product, it's a surprise to find that it's a light blue in colour (rather than pink or white). The predominant smell is an aqua scent but more feminine that say an aqua shower gel. It rubs into the feet really easily. I have been using it for the past few nights, and have to say I struggle with the socks bit - after being in bed for around an hour I simply cannot bear to keep my socks on anymore (even though I know I'll be up for a night feed), so have to take them off. I guess this doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure how long you need to use this to notice a difference. To be honest there's not much wrong with my feet anyway, although perhaps they could do with a bit more care, so it's good to use something like this as and when I remember. For now they certainly feel soft and well nourished, so perhaps this is helping. There also does seem to be less dead skin than usual.

That said though, I don't know who really has time for such things - it's a nice product, but I'll only use it because I have it, and when I remember.It costs £5.50 for a 125 tube in Boots, but is usually part of a 3 for 2 offer.

27.11.2014 09:44

Advantages

• Expensive
        • "Nice shower gel"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly strange scent"

Nice if slightly strange choice of scent!

Looking through the draws in the bathroom I can across this unopened Body Shop Passion Fruit Shower Gel. I don't shop in the Body shop, and I don't recall receiving this as a gift (there is also a matching body butter), so all I can assume is that it's my boyfriend's ex girlfriend's. I'm certainly not complaining, as it's an excuse to try a new shower gel and write a review.

My bottle looks different in colour from dooyoo's picture as it is definitely more blue in colour than purple. It's transparent and the liquid inside is blue! On the back is a label which you can peel back for a bit more information. However, there doesn't seem to be an ingredients list which is unusual. On the front is a picture of half a passion fruit.

I took this in the shower, and squirted a blob onto my shower puff. It is nice and thick, and it definitely smells on passionfruit. It's not something I eat, but I do love a passionfruit alcoholic drink called Passoa, and it smells similar to this (without the alcohol). I can't imagien this would be everyone's choice of scent for a shower gel though.

It lathers really well, and you don't need a lot. After showering there is a slight hint of passion fruit, but nothing major.

Body Shop shower gels seem to cost £4 for a 250ml bottle (which is small compared to most), so pretty expensive for what you get. Unless you can find it on special offer and particularly love passion fruit I wouldn't bother!

• The Sanctuary Body Lotion / Body Care / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
        26.11.2014 17:28

Advantages

• "It's nice enough"

Disadvantages

• "I don't see the point"

A nice enough body lotion!

I'm not a person who uses body lotions. For one I simply don't have the time - before having a baby I had better things to do with my time, and since having a baby I just don't have time. The other reason is that I don't really see the point. Maybe because I'm only 33, but at this point I don't really feel the need to replenish, moisturise and stimulate my skin as it says on the bottle. My skin is fine as it is.

Of course though I have used this body lotion though, hence the review. In fact I have used a third of the 250ml bottle which is probably the most dedicated I've ever been to a body lotion (I really should do more with my soap and glory ones). I used it religiously for a while a couple of years ago when I was given this bottle along with the body cream wash (already reviewed) as a birthday present. I thought I'd try and use the two products in combination as you're meant to, for maximum effect. The only reason I haven't finished them is due to a house move and them ending up in a draw.

The body lotion is in a plan bottle with an orange lid. On the back are instructions and ingredients etc. There is a nozzle under the lid making it easier to get out than the body wash. Simply get some on your hand and massage into clean dry skin in circular motions, particularly on arms and legs. The body lotion compliments the body wash - it's meant to be ginger, jojoba and fragrant spices. I think it's a nice enough scent, but might not be to all tastes. It rubs in easily and doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy. The smell doesn't seem to linger afterwards

As far as body lotions go, this is ok. However, I wish people would just buy me shower gels rather than these sets where I feel obliged to find time to use body lotions which I don't really see the point it! Also it costs £5.50 in Boots (although can be bought as part of the 2 for 2 offer).

26.11.2014 10:55

Advantages

• "Nice body wash"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
        • "Not my favourite"

Ok, but expensive for what it is.

I was given this Sanctuary Covent Garden Creamy Body wash as part of a gift set with the body lotion for my birthday a couple of years ago! I was using the bottle in my old house, but due to the house move it got relegated to a drawer of partially used shower gels (etc) which I am only now coming across.

My preference is Soap and Glory shower gels, but I was quite optimistic about this, as had heard good things about the brand. It is in a nice (but simple) bottle a similar size and shape to a bottle of deodorant. It contains 250ml. The bottle is clear (but tinted) with an orange lid.

Rather than being a shower gel this is a body wash, but I use it in the same way by applying to my shower puff, rubbing in, getting a good lather (this works well) and then rinsing off.

I am not a fan of the bottle as it's a hassle having to take the lid off, and then turn upside down to get it out - this can be awkward when you get towards the end of the bottle. Although the smell of the shower gel is nice enough (almond, sandalwood and patchouli (whatever that might be), it's not my favourite sort of fragrance for a shower gel.

This is meant to be more luxurious and moisturising than other shower products, but unfortunately my showers these days are quick and far from luxurious (due to baby). However, it does leave my skin feeling clean and moisturised. It is meant to work best when followed by a body lotion, so I will be reviewing that shortly! It costs £5.50 for a bottle in Boots which is very expensive for what it is. I would prefer to either use Soap and Glory, or alternatively a cheaper shower gel.

3 out of 5 from me

26.11.2014 09:38

Advantages

• "Lathers well"
        • "Cleans well"

Disadvantages

• "Not my favourite fragrance"

Ok handwash, but not the right one for me!

I'm not sure why I bought this handwash since I'm perfectly happy with the Palmolive Aquarium one which I've already reviewed. Perhaps I just wanted a bit of a change, as I can't imagine it being any cheaper than the others.I think I probably paid around £1 for the 300ml bottle.

This is in a transparent bottle with a white nozzle on top The table is a yellowy colour. It states that it is nourishing handwash with extracts of 100% natural origin. On the back there is further information such as a list of ingredients, which I won't list here.

To use simply push down the nozzle, get some on your hands with with warm water lather up and rinse. This is a creamy coloured handwash, and is lovely and thick. I wouldn't say I can spell almonds very well (maybe a hint), but it's more creamy and quite pleasant. It lathers really well and leaves my hands feeling really smooth and soft (and I suppose well nourished). However, I don't get that lovely fresh feeling that I do with more aqua based fragranced handwashes.

The smell does linger a little bit afterwards, but not unpleasantly so. I think this is quite a feminine handwash really, so I would prefer a different one which is more suitable to be used by everyone in the family.

It's a good enough handwash, but just not the smell of my choice, so I doubt I'll be buying it again (although unsure why I got it this time!)

3 out of 5 stars from me!

25.11.2014 22:46

Advantages

• "Bottle lasts AGES"
        • "Great value"

Disadvantages

• "Not the most exciting handwash"

Cheap and cheerful handwash!

My boyfriend and I bought two bottles of this Morrisons value anti-bacterial handwash absolutely ages ago, when I told him that we really needed some handwash in the kitchen rather than faffing around with soap. We don;t normally shop in Morrisons, but I'm glad that we did on that occasion.

The bottle (not the most exciting bottle in the world) is 500ml so pretty big for a handwash - it came in a sort-of transparent bottle (not completely clear), so you can see the blue liquid inside - useful for knowing how much is left. On the back is a list of ingredients and other information.

To use simply push down the nozzle on the top, get some of the liquid soap on your hand, get some warm water and lather together with your other hand. Clean, and rinse. It's not the most exciting handwash in the world - it is an aquatic type smell, very fresh smelling. It's certainly not chemically smelling like many cheap products are.

Although this is a cheap value product, it's a bit thicker than some cheap handwashes. However, although it isn't as thick as some more expensive brands, you really don't need a lot of it to feel like you're getting a good clean. I have to say that our first bottle lasted for absolutely ages - I am not sure how it lasted so long actually. We are now coming towards the end of our second bottle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again if we happen to be in Morrisons when we're next looking for some handwash. I'm not sure how much it cost, but I imagine it was less than £1.

25.11.2014 22:35

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
          • "Lovely packaging"

Disadvantages

A lovely aquatic handwash!

I imagine I was initially attracted to this Palmolve aquarium handwash due to the cut packaging. It is a transparent handwash bottle (containing 300ml) with an aquarium scene with a fish set back in the bottle. It is colourful and lovely looking (I think children in particular will like it, and it will hopefully make handwashing more fun) - a welcome addition to any kitchen or bathroom I think. On the back of the bottle is a label with loads on information on such as ingredients (which I won't regurgitate as you can see for yourself if buyingO.

We are currently using this handwash in our bathroom. Personally I prefer handwashes to soaps as I find them easier to use, and less stressful than ending up dropping wet bars of soap on the bathroom floor. I'm not sure they're actually more hygienic, but I like to tell myself they are.

To use this simply push down on the nozzle, get some of the blue liquid soap on your hand, run under some warm water, lather up with the other hand and rinse. The smell of this handwash is lovely and fresh, with an aqua fragrance. It makes my hands feel clean, with a nice scent, but nothing which is overpowering or lingers which I wouldn't want.

I'm not sure what I paid for this, but looking on the Internet it costs just 89p in Superdrug which is very good value for such a high quality handwash. Unlike cheaper brands it is thick so less is needed, and the bottle seems to last for a long time. I would highly recommend this handwash and give it 5 out of 5 stars.