nteer09

Member since: 12.04.2010

User that trust you
      19.02.2013 20:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cheap and nasty bottle and the smell does it no favours at all

Avons secret Fantasy strikes me as being a poor mans version of Britney Spears perfume. It has been one of Avons popular scents for a few years now, and they have now added another two perfumes to the fantasy range-secret fantasy star and secret fantasy kiss. Secret Fantasy is advertised as being 'sweet, innocent and warm', Secret Fantasy Star is 'glitzy, sexy and glam' and Secret Fantasy Kiss is 'flirty, fun and fabulous'.

On the rare occasion that Secret Fantasy has been full priced, it retails for £11 per 50ml bottle. On average though, for the past year it has been retailing at about 5 or £6 per bottle. It is also quite often available in a purse spray-£5 for 15ml.

Secret Fantasy is presented in a cerise/fuchsia coloured bottle, with white italic writing on the front, a large white 'S' and two pink flowery patterns to the side of the 'S'. It comes in a small bottle, which is flat on the bottom, but quite round on the top. Attached to the silver spray part of the bottle, is a detachable 2cm stainless steel chain with a key on. Each perfume from the Fantasy range has a different charm on it. The presentation box is a purple colour if I remember correctly.

Secret Fantasy perfume has a really overly sweet smell to it. It is extremely fruity and floral. Its notes are red fruits, jasmine, velvety white musk and sandalwood. To me it smells like blackcurrant, strawberry and raspberry with a hint of sandalwood and white musk. I don't think this is a good combination, as the musk comes through too strongly at times.

I think that this fragrance is far too young for my liking. It would be more suited to a teenager. I'm a big fan of Britney Spears fantasy perfume, this perfume smells relatively similar, but it quite a lot heavier than Britneys. It smells okay to begin with, but the scent soon disappears. When I've used this fragrance in normal temperatures, it has lasted about an hour and a half before I have had to re-apply it. It certainly wouldn't be suitable if it was hot outside. Secret Fantasy is not supplied with a lid either-you are supposed to tighten the charm around the rim of the bottle to prevent it from spraying when not in use. I also think the style of the bottle looks really cheap and tacky, it feels as though it could smash at any moment-and the lack of staying power doesn't do it any favours either.

• Avon Bubble Bath / Bath & Shower / 52 Readings / 51 Ratings
      18.02.2013 15:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not all bad....but could be better

Avon Bubble baths come in an array of popular fragrances. New additions come out on a regular basis. The newest addition to Avons bubble baths is violet, but others include Soft Pink, White Lily, Strawberry Sorbet, Lavender, Sensitive and Blackberries and Vanilla. The bottles are translucent, with ridges down the sides and the fragrance of the bubble bath written down the front. Each bottle has a different font of writing and one or two pictures which are relevant to that particular flavour, the Avon Logo and with a white screw top lid.

Avon bubble baths are available in 500ml bottles and 1 litre bottles. The normal price for these is £4 for the 500ml and £5 for the 1 litre bottle-however, at least 50% of the time these are available on an offer of some sort.

The bubble baths are produced in Poland, by Avon cosmetics. You simply remove the lid and the foil protection and tip the desired amount into hot running water to maximise bubbles.

My favourite fragrance of Avon Bubble bath is 'Blackberries and Vanilla'. It has a deep red colouring to it and smells really sweet. I would say it smells more like Vanilla, but with a hint of Blackberry. Generally I buy the smaller bottles, as these seem to be available more often, but if I'm honest, a bottle doesn't last me very long. Scentwise, the Avon bubble baths smell absolutely gorgeous, but I find that they don't create that many bubbles, unless I literally pour in a quarter of a bottle. If purchased at full price, then this works out very expensive.

Avon bubble bath does make the bath feel a lot more relaxing than a bath with no bubbles, but I find that I end up with very wrinkly skin if I sit in the bath for much longer than fifteen minutes. My skin tends to feel slightly rubbery immediately after using this. The bubble bath smells great in the bottle, but I don't think that the fragrance is strong enough or long lasting enough once mixed with water. I would recommend this product if it was on sale and if you like a bath with a few bubbles, but not loads. As I like a bath with lots of bubbles, I would only rate this product as mediocre.

17.02.2013 20:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

If only you could purchase these in bigger packs

We've been using Little Angels comfort dry nappies for the past two years. They come in a turquoise pack with a handle. The actual nappies inside are mainly white, with a picture border on the top and different coloured circles. The back is almost the same, but with 'Little Angels' written on the top, and the size of the nappy written in a turquoise box. We currently use a size 4 maxi, which come with 48 nappies in a pack. As with all nappies, the smaller the size of nappies, the more you get in the packet. At full price these cost £5.97 per packet, but so far I have always been able two packs for £10. The amount of nappies you get in a packet is a lot more than you get in any of the big branded packs for a similar price. I did manage to purchase a large box of Little Angels comfort dry nappies for about £10 from the Asda baby event once, but have never seen the boxes again.

Little Angels nappies are Hypoallergenic, which is one of the reasons we started using them in the first place. Previous to these, we had tried all the big named brands-Huggies in particular were causing my youngest daughter to have a rash-so my health visitor actually recommended these! Now we won't use any other brand besides Pampers (if they're in the sale) as we know that Little Angels have been designed with childrens sensitive skin in mind.

Compared to most other nappies, I find this brand of nappies a lot thicker- but without being too bulky. They have very stretchy sides, and a tab either side at the back, which you use to fasten the nappy at the front. With certain other brands I have found that the tabs have been weak when fastening, deeming the whole nappy useless when they break off. This has never been a problem with Little Angels.

Size wise, I think that Little Angels sizing is spot on. I find that the weight stated on the packets is the same size which I use on my children, which has not always been the case with other brands.

Little Angels comfort dry have been designed for babies and toddlers to use during the day or night. They are made out of material which allows babies and toddlers to be comfortable at night. The nappies are breathable, but have a high absorbency. With huggies nappies my children had so many accidents, with Little Angels the only times we have accidents are when the children are teething (but who doesn't!!).

I would definately recommend these nappies, I can't believe how little my children leak or get nappy rashes and I think these nappies are part of the reason.

17.02.2013 16:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

If you ignore the few minor issues, this kitchen has great potential

Despite already having a toy kitchen which looks a lot sturdier, I fell in love with this at first sight. Being the ideal colour for my girls' bedroom, this pink kitchen has become one of their favourite toys. It isn't too pink either, as it also has blue and white in with the colour scheme.

The plastic which the kitchen is made of feels pretty flimsy when you initially take it out of the box, but I was pleasantly surprised how sturdy it was when fully assembled. It took my husband and I about twenty minutes to assemble it. Instructions were really clear-most of it the pieces slot together and then there are a few screws needed to tighten it up. All the pieces were alphabetically labelled to aid the assembly process. A screwdriver was the only thing we needed to put all the pieces together. The hardest part for us was sticking the sheetful of stickers on the kitchen, as some of them needed placing in awkward positions-and some were so thin that they ripped before we had even removed them from the sheet.

The Disney Princess kitchen comes with 18 accessories, including Mrs Potts, a yellow frying pan, cups and saucers, a telephone, a bowl, a ladle, salt and pepper and toy food (cookies and muffins). I was quite impressed with the quality of the accessories in general, only the muffins were a little bit too soft and easy to damage for my liking. There are also two hooks which attach to either side of the kitchen, I felt that these came off far too easily. This happened repeatedly, so we have now removed them for good. The knobs on the oven also seem to get removed on a regular basis by my daughters-so ideally these would be fixed on better

The Disney kitchen has taught my daughters various phrases, as when you turn the three pink knobs on the cooker, or turn the two pages on the recipe book, various different phrases and sounds can be heard. The pink and white tap can be turned on and off to make a realistic water running sound. Phrases such as "Is Princess Aura awake yet? Breakfast is almost ready" and "Teatime has always been my favourite time of day" can be heard when twisting the knobs. The stoves also have sensors on, so that whenever a pot/pan is placed on the stove, the children will hear phrases and sounds. There are 11 phrases in total on this kitchen.

The oven comes with a shelf which slots into place, but can be removed a little too easily for my liking. To the left of the oven, there are two shelves for pots and pans, and to the right of the oven, there is a large cupboard for storage. When not in use, the oven can hold all the accessories which come with the kitchen and more.

The top part of the kitchen features a fuchsia coloured sink, 2 stoves, a small worktop, a clock and a few little storage areas to store salt and peppers etc. The top part of the kitchen is well decorated, with a recipe book and two towers.

The Disney Princess kitchen is designed for children 3 years and upwards. When fully assembled it is 104cm high, 68.5cm in width and 33cm diameter. It requires 2 x AA batteries, which are placed on the back wall of the kitchen. This kitchen currently retails in Toys R Us for £99.99, although we purchased it in the sale for £49.99.

Would I recommend this kitchen? Absolutely. The kitchen is big enough for my two girls to play alongside each other and features enough phrases and sounds to keep them both entertained for hours on end. Our other toy kitchen, made by a popular company and which cost us four times as much as we paid for this, does not keep them occupied as it doesn't talk to them and get them involved. My daughters enjoy following what the kitchen says, and they play happily on their own with it. This kitchen is fantastic, as the oven is large enough for them to put things in, and take things out. The kitchen is still standing despite the girls playing quite rough with it on numerous occasions-plus it is the perfect addition to any little girls room.

16.02.2013 21:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

The chesty cough syrup that made me feel as good as new in two days

Lemsip chesty cough syrup is designed to soothe chesty coughs. Until using this a week ago I was waking up in the night coughing that much I was making myself sick. I needed something which was going to be fast working but effective. Looking down the aisles at Asda, I came across Lemsip, and it was a lot cheaper than the others, at £3 for a 100ml bottle. It was advertised as being a 'Symptomatic relief of deep chesty coughs'. Lemsip chesty cough is available in 150ml, 200ml and 300ml bottles aswell.

The first night I used the lemsip I did wake up a couple of times in the night coughing, but I knew it was starting to work as I managed to go about 4 hours before waking up coughing-before this I had been waking every 10/15 minutes. The second night of using Lemsip I slept through the whole night, although it did take quite a while to work.

Lemsip chesty cough syrup smells a bit like honey and lemon, and it tastes like honey and lemon (with a twist). It is very very thick, and perhaps a little too sweet.

The chesty cough syrup which I have differs slightly from the picture shown on here-the one I have comes in a red, yellow and green box. It has a slight yellow tint/ clear colouring to the syrup.

Lemsip chesty cough is not suitable for children under the age of 12 years. It should be taken orally a maximum of 3-4 times daily. Anything between 10ml and 20ml (2 to 4 5ml spoonfuls) can be taken at a time. Each 5ml dose contains 4g of sucrose, 50mg of guaifenesin and 3.66mg of sodium.

I would buy Lemsip chesty cough again as I have bought cough syrups before which have had no effect whatsoever, whereas in just two nights I was able to get a full nights sleep. I think that Lemsip is fantastic value for money as most of the other medicines I looked into purchasing were 4 pound and upwards. While the flavour does taste slightly sickly because of the sickness of it, it isn't unbearable and was actually really nice compared the majority of cough medicines on the market today.

16.02.2013 20:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

We won't be running out of this in a hurry

A few months ago following a sleepness night with my daughters teething, we decided to use something other than Calpol. Nurofen for children was available in Orange flavour or strawberry-we tried the latter as I know the children like the taste of strawberry medicine. It was a 100ml bottle for £3.15 from Asda-but I have also seen it in many other stores such as Boots-and you can buy larger bottles in a small number of stores. The 100ml is the normal sized bottle found in the majority of stores. Your are able to buy this in a sachet form, but I find the syringe a lot easier if your child is not cooperating.

Nurofen for children comes in a yellow, red and silver box, with a picture of a little girl and boy on the front.
              Nurofen for children strawberry suspension is especially for children from 3 months (or a child over 6kg) to 12 years old. It is an oral suspension with 100mg of ibuprofen per 5ml dose. Doses should be given at least 4 hours apart, but for smaller children it works best when given 6-8 hours apart.

There are various different doses dependant on the age range of the child, they are as follows;
              3-6 months(6kg+) 2.5ml maximum of 3 doses within 24 hours
              6-12 months 2.5ml maximum of 3-4 doses within 24 hours
              1-3 years 5ml maximum of 3 doses within 24 hours
              4-6 years 7.5ml maximum of 3 doses within 24 hours
              7-9 years 10ml maximum of 3 doses within 24 hours
              10-12 years 15ml maximum of 3 doses within 24 hours

Each bottle is supplied with a syringe in the lid, with the different doses clearly marked out. For the larger doses you have to place the syringe in the bottle again until you have reached the right doseage.

Nurofen for children strawberry suspension is all sugar free and contains no colourant. Nurofen is especially for mild to moderate pain, fevers, teething, headaches, toothache, sprains and sore throats, but we have found that it works best on the sprains and teething and toothache pains.

I would definitely recommend Nurofen for children. I don't personally think it is as good as other brands for reducing fevers, but the ibuprofen content works absolutely brilliant on reducing swelling. My children have never had any bad side effects from it.

16.02.2013 14:02

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great quality doll, but buy the pram too

I absolutely love this toddler doll, with its blonde hair tied in pigtails, and bright blue eyes. Molly is one of the most likeable and realistic dolls available, but at a fraction of the cost of the other toddler dolls.

Molly is one of the Chad Valley range, sold at Argos for £19.99. There are a few other dolls in this range, but this one was our favourite. She is 63cm tall, with a hard plastic head, and a soft body. Molly has synthetic hair, which is the norm for dolls, but it does get pretty tangled and messy after a short period of time.

Molly comes wearing a fuchsia pink and white long sleeved top, a dark denim skirt, pink leggins, and a pair of dark blue hard ugg boots. She comes with two pink hairclips and a pink comb. When Mollys clothes are in the wash, she also fits into normal baby clothes 3-6 months.

Molly is a non-functioning doll, suitable for children over the age of three, although both of my children are below this age and play with this doll all the time. I just don't let them use the clips as they are very small.

My only negative to this doll is that because of the size of it, and the fact that it is soft bodied limits what children can actually do with it or where they can take it. It has to be in the standing position or propped against something as it won't stay up alone. She is good value for money, and scarily realistic, but I would suggest buying the Molly and friends pushchair to go with it if you want to take her anywhere.

16.02.2013 13:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

Looks great but my children soon got bored

This was one of the dolls that I wanted for my daughters, but didn't want to pay the £30 that it normally retails for.

Baby Annabel is a 36cm doll which falls asleep if she is placed on her pillow. She moves slightly if you touch her on the arms and cries when she is upset. Her eyes open and close and her head moves slightly off the pillow. Baby annabell doesn't do much more than sleep. You can move her limbs fractionally, but basically she remains in almost the same position at all times. She can't be placed in a dolls pram or anything as her arms are constantly raised.

Annabel comes with a tiny soft pillow with a sheep on it, and wears a white sleepsuit on, so she gets dirty easily. She has a hard head, but soft body.

Although as stated before, baby Annabel does move, she moved far too slowly and stiffly for my daughters to remain interested for any longer than five minutes. Apparently she is supposed to respond to you, but our never has. Our barely does what it says on the box.

This doll takes 3 x AAA batteries, which are not supplied. It has been designed for aged 12 months and upwards, although the size of it means that it would not be suitable for much older than a 2 or 3 year old.

Compared to the other Baby Annabel dolls, this one is certainly not good value for money.

16.02.2013 13:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Probably one of my best buys

Our chad valley dolls pushchair is a slightly different design to the colour shown on here. Ours is a mixture of baby pink and fuchsia pink with polka dots on. The design changed recently.

For £4.99 I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pushchair. The pushchair we had previous to this cost double the amount, but was a lot less sturdy. It is 55cm high and is designed to take dolls which are up to 40cm in height. My daughters do use it with their normal sized baby Annabel, which is 46cm.

The chad valley dolls pushchair is for 3 years and upwards, but is actually the perfect height for my two year old, who is pretty short for her age. The pram folds away extremely compact, so it can be taken anywhere.

The chad valley pram has a removable cover so it can be washed-an added bonus as the colour is very light so it gets dirty quickly.

I can't see this pram lasting for years or anything, as the wheels are not very big and I think when the weather improves and it gets used outside the wheels will be easily worn. But for the price you pay, we can easily afford to, and would be happy to but a new one.

16.02.2013 13:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

Take a look at the inside before buying

We bought this dolls house for christmas and it has been used every day since. I stupidly bought it because it was pink, but was a bit disappointed when I realised how plain it was on the inside-and how heavy the box was!

This dolls house was yet another product by chad valley, and cost us £34.99 in the sale. It's normal price is £39.99.

The chad valley dolls house has three storeys-two larger floors and a small attic. The front of the house opens up sideways, so that you can gain access. You can also remove the roof so that you can access the attic section of the house.

The house comes with furniture for each room. Each dolls house has a living room, kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms (including a master bedroom), plus two flights of stairs. Each house comes with two wooden people, but there is also a set you can buy with additional people and furniture. Some of the furniture included with the house is: a bed, sofas, toilet, coffee table and cooker.

The chad valley dolls house is made of MDF wood, and is 50cm tall, 25.5cm width and a diameter of 57.5cm. It comes with a sheet of stickers to add a bit of personal touch to this otherwise plain design.

Although my daughters enjoy playing with this, I don't see it lasting a long time, due to the material it is made of, the amount of stickers (as my daughters have pulled lots off already) and the quality of the hinges supplied (far too small to keep the door on longterm).

I would not buy this again given the chance.

• Baby Born Mummy Pick Me Up / Doll / 5 Readings / 3 Ratings
                  16.02.2013 13:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

Doesn't sound quite right

My daughter picked this baby born doll from Toys R us for £29.99.

She has beautiful blonde hair and sparkling bright blue eyes, and is completely hard bodied. She is 35.5cm tall. Baby born comes wearing a thin baby pink romper, with a cute little pink clip in her hair. She takes 3 x AAA batteries and is for children of 3 years and upwards.

Baby born responds to her mummy, just as a normal baby would. She has sensors in her lips and cheeks, so that she giggles when her lips are touched, kisses when her lips are touched, and senses when mummy is near. Baby born asks for her "mama", tilts her head, raises her arms when she wants to be picked up and giggles if you press her belly button in.

While this doll is very pretty, it quite often makes a horrible grinding noise if its limbs are moved too far. It is best in a sitting position as otherwise the mechanical noises are quite scary.

I wouldn't recommend this doll as it doesn't always respond the way it is supposed to, and the grinding noises are that loud they often have my daughter in tears. My daughter doesn't really play with it as it is too stiff to go in her pram or cuddle. I also think that the quality of the romper suit is bad, it won't stand many washes as it is such cheap material.

• Graco 6 in 1 Playset / Doll / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
                  16.02.2013 12:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

Big fat waste of £29.99

I bought this set for my daughter as I wanted a highchair for her doll to be able to sit with her at mealtimes. We really struggled to find one which wasn't ridiculously priced or of sub standard. Then we came across this Graco set which had everything included....

The 6-in-1 playset is priced at £29.99 from Argos, although it is available in many other places for a similar price. The set includes a stroller, travel system, travel cot and a travel seat which can also be turned into a high chair or a swing. It has been designed in a baby pink and pink flowery design, which looks quite nice on the pictures, but is not very nice when you take it out of the box. The colours of the material get dirty easily.

The Graco set it designed for dolls which are up to 18 inches/46cm, although my dolls of that size had trouble fitting into the travel seat (plus obviously the swing and high chair)! The set is designed for 3 years and upwards. As the set is so small, it would only be suitable for a limited period of time.

I did have a few concerns regarding this set, as the bar for the swing is pretty lethal (a little sharp and a little too easy for children to remove and start swinging about). The sockets which connected the legs of the swing and high chair come loose constantly-to the point where it actually irritates both myself and my little girls. The cot is very flimsy, plus all the other items except the stroller are very unsturdy when you place a normal sized doll in them. We had to go out and buy another doll (36cm) to fit the set as my daughter was so disappointed.

I would not recommend this set to anyone, unless you want to keep taking it to pieces so that you can alternate between car seat, high chair and swing. This gets particularly annoying when your child keeps changing their mind. Very expensive for what it is!

14.02.2013 19:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

popular all round

Calpol Infant suspension is a childrens medicine, which is available for children aged 2 months up to 6 years. It comes in a purple and pink (mainly purple) box, and strawberry flavour. The strawberry flavour is also available in sugarfree. Both are available in sachet form or in a liquid form from a bottle. The liquid is a bright pink colour, and pretty thick. It even smells sweet, so children are instantly drawn to it.

Calpol Infant suspension contains Paracetamol and is especially for pains and fevers. Babies aged between 2-3 months are allowed a 2.5ml (small spoonful) twice a day, with at least 4-6 hours inbetween. 3-6 months are allowed 2.5ml four times per day, 6-24 months are allowed 5ml four times per day. 2-4 years old can have 7.5ml four times per day, and 4-6 year olds can have 10ml four times per day.

Calpol usually retails for just over £3 for a 100ml bottle or £5 for 20 sachets. Personally I find the sachets extremely messy! The bottles are much better. My kids love the taste of Calpol, so it is rarely a battle to get them to have their medicine, but they love the taste of the cheaper medicines too!

I find that Calpol is fantastic at bringing temperatures down, but I find it almost useless when my children have toothache. I always have a bottle in as it is fast working, and helps them sleep when they are poorly.

I would recommend Calpol, but wish they didn't make it taste so nice as the kids often ask for it when they're not even poorly.

• Infacol / Pain Relief / 9 Readings / 6 Ratings
                  14.02.2013 18:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

A little goes a long long way

Infacol was the first medicine we used with my daughter when she had colic. It came in a white and red bottle, which cost us £2.89 from Boots. It should be used within 28 days of being opened.

It is taken orally before a feed to help babies bring their wind up, and to help with any pain the colic and griping is giving them. You can give a baby as many dosages as required. Each bottle contains a dropper-you should give your child one dropper full. If you still don't see an improvement within a few days then you can then increase the dosage to two droppers. If this still doesn't work after a few days then the doctor/health visitor will probably prescribe something else. My health visitor told me that this normally works for mild colic, but that it doesn't work as fast as most of the other colic medicines.

Infacol has an orange smell and taste to it, so we had no trouble getting my daughter to take her dosage. It contains no alcohol, sugar or colourants.

This didn't work for my daughter, but my health visitor did say my daughter had an extreme case. This actually made my daughter sick. It is definitely worth giving it a try if your baby has colic, as it is very affordable-and I do know a lot of people who it has worked for. The bottle is meant to contain enough for a hundred doses, so a little goes a long way.

• Colief Infant Drops / Baby Health / 13 Readings / 12 Ratings
                  14.02.2013 18:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

This was brilliant for my first child......

When my eldest daughter was a baby, she suffered really badly with colic. Infacol was the first thing the doctors tried her with (being a lot cheaper), but then we were given a tiny bottle of colief. Colief basically breaks down lactose, which has been causing the baby to have digestive discomfort. It is a clear liquid, which can be used from birth, until no longer required. It comes in a small yellow and green box.

We had to put four drops into each of her feeds-I had a quick taste of a feed and didn't notice a difference in the taste. A bottle (containing 7ml) doesn't go far. We were going through two bottles per week, which at about £9/£10 per bottle is absolutely shocking. We were lucky enough to be given this on repeat prescription, otherwise we would have looked to other options

From a few hours after first use, my daughters behaviour changed significantly. She was a lot calmer and she stopped being sick as much. It wasn't a complete miracle cure but it did make night times more tolerable.
                  My second daughter also suffered, but Colief did absolutely nothing for her. I would recommend this, but only if you can get it on prescription, as I really think it depends on the individual child. I also don't like the fact it has to be put into a bottle, as if the baby doesn't finish a bottle then they don't get the correct amount of colief required-and are yet again left with a grumpy baby!