rji0907

Member since: 14.05.2009

• Cluedo / Board Game / 11 Readings / 11 Ratings
      16.12.2013 09:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great game for all the family

My 10 year old son loves a good board game and after scouring the Argos catalogue to decide what he wanted for this Birthday this year, he chose Cluedo. He did this with a family member of mine and so at the time I didn't know he was due to have this game, but I was really happy when he opened this game as it was a favourite of mine as a child. The fact that I am now 33, meaning this game has been around for a good 20 years at least, shows its popularity as it is obviously still as popular now as it was back then. My main hope was that they hadn't interfered with the original concept too much and left the game alone without trying to 'modernise' it too much. Thankfully the game is still the same as it was back then. Within the box you get a square playing board, 6 coloured playing pieces, then playing cards of each of the rooms on the board, a series of weapons and character cards. To play the game, each player chooses a coloured counter as their playing piece. The idea of the game is to find out 'whodunnit'. There has been a murder committed and it's your job to find out which character committed the murder, with which weapon, and in which room of the house. Before you start the game, you separate the cards into people, weapons and rooms, then shuffle each pack. One player picks a card at random from each pack, and these are placed in the black sleeve that comes with the game. These cards are the murderer, murder weapon and room the murder was committed in. The cards are then placed in one pile altogether, shuffled and dealt out to all players face down so you can't see what cards each player has. Within the box you get a paper pad where you can tick off the cards you have in your pile. You then take it in turns to roll the dice, going around the rooms and choosing weapons and people that you believe may have committed the murder. When you reach a room, you choose a player and suggest a room, weapon and character that may have committed the murder. If the player you chose has any of the cards you mentioned, they show you one out of the three you mentioned, meaning you can eliminate that card from your enquiries. The game continues like this, with each player eliminating rooms, weapons and characters along the way. The winning player is the one who correctly guesses the murder room, murder weapon and murdering character. We tried playing the game with two people, but that didn't work out really well and the game was over with rather quickly. To get the most from the game, you really need 3-4 players. The game can go on a little bit, the more players you have, but it is a really fun game and apart from the cards and board being quite modern now, the gameplay has stayed the same which I am really pleased about, and it is still as fun now as it was all those years ago. It has a slight educational twist to it which is good for children playing the game as the game centres around logic. This game would be a little too much for younger children though. As said above, my child is now 10 and plays the game quite well and has even won a few times, but I would say that 7 or 8 is probably the minimum age for this game really and I would suggest that if younger children want to get involved, that they pair up with an adult for help or else they could get frustrated at never winning the game! The only added extra to the game, which I really can't remember being there in the original game, is that there are now squares on the board, where if you land on them you pick a card from a separate pack of cards in the box which feature things like 'miss a turn' cards. The general price for this game seems to be around £15.99, which isn't cheap for a board game, but personally I think it is worth it as it is a good game that will keep the whole family amused for hours. There are quite a few playing pieces and cards within the box which can easily get lost if not looked after. I have already had to email Hasbro and get a new lead pipe and professor green card as the dog ate it and the lead pipe went missing. Hasbro did supply these which was fortunate & charged me £2.00 to cover P&P. Without these though, the game wouldn't have been able to be played correctly. Overall, I personally love this game and was thrilled when my son received this for his birthday this year and we have already had a great deal of use out of it in our home. The concept is quite simple, set up is easy and the game is fun and slightly educational too. I love that Hasbro haven't messed around with the game too much from old and still enjoy it as much now as I did all those years ago and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• Doggie Doo Game / Child Development / 27 Readings / 26 Ratings
        13.12.2013 09:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

An entertaining game for kids

Even at the age of 10, my son still loves board games and similar games and after seeing an advert on the television, he was desperate to have the Doggie Doo game, and he was fortunate enough to receive the game for Christmas last year. As indicated in the name, this game is basically centred around 'dog poo', though the game really isn't as messy as it sounds and as little things do please little minds, you can see why such a game would appeal to young children - especially young boys like mine! The box features a brown plastic sausage dog style dog with a lead with a red plastic handle. Other contents in the box include 4 'pooper scoopers', the dice, a pot of yellow putty, a bone and a 'poo mould'. Delightful - I know! To start, you simply place some of the putty in the mould and put it in the dogs mouth, then pushing the bone into the mouth of the dog to push the putty as far down the dog as possible. Each player picks a coloured pooper scooper and the game is ready to start. The first player throws the dice and it is indicated on the dice how many 'pumps' you get. For example, if a '2' appears on the dice, then the player pumps the lead twice, which is forcing the poo to the back of the dog. You keep repeating this sequence with each player taking it in turns to have a go. When it is your go, you place your scoop under the dogs bottom to wait for the poo to appear out of that end. The winner of the game is the one who collects the poo from the other end of the dog! It is a very simple concept, yet it does keep a child amused for quite a while. I like the fact that this is a game that children of all ages can play (though obviously younger children need supervision to ensure they don't try and eat the putty! I also like the fact that one game doesn't last forever and doesn't take an age to set up initially. Nor are there a million pieces to get out and put away again. The game is really good and is enjoyed by all members of the family whether male or female, and no matter what age. The only problems we have encountered with the game is that we have had instances where if you put too much putty into the mould, which in turn ends up in the mouth, it can get lodged inside the dog. We have never had an instance yet where we haven't been able to remove the putty from the dog, though at times it has took a bit of effort with a long, thin object such as a straw or stick to poke the putty further down the dog so the game starts to work again. Another (quite vile) aspect of this game that children will like is that when you are pumping the poo through the dogs body, you get a 'farting' noise from the dog, which again younger children find quite hilarious! The game tends to retail at around £15.00, which personally I find is a little expensive for what it is. Children do love the game, but it does have its flaws as listed above and the game dog is only a cheap, plastic dog so I find £15.00 a little extreme and personally I think somewhere in the region of £10-12, would have been more appropriate. Overall though, the main thing you want when purchasing a game for a child is it to be fun for them, and a child will certainly get that from this game. They won't get anything from this game in terms of education as it teaches them nothing at all really but it is a family friendly game that is pretty fun, if a little disgusting but it is a harmless game that is simple to play, simple to set up and when it works, it works well so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• HP 620 / Laptop / 25 Readings / 24 Ratings
          12.12.2013 09:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

A decent laptop from the HP range

We have a couple of laptops in our house, for kids and for adults, and one of the ones we own is the HP620. We have purchased a couple of laptops second hand, mainly because we didn't want to spend a fortune on laptops for the kids when they are less likely to look after them with care. This laptop tends to retail at around the £400 mark, but we were fortunate enough to get ours for £150 and it was as good as new. The previous owners had owned it for a while and upgraded and apparently had used this pretty much daily, and it was still in excellent condition when we purchased it, which for me proves that it is well made, robust and reliable - all the thing you need when purchasing a laptop for a child! The laptop features windows 7 operating system so it isn't as up to date as some of the newer models that features windows 8, but it suits our needs perfectly. It was restored back to factory settings when we received it, so had to basically start from scratch with it and we found that set up was quick and hassle free and we encountered no technical issues at all. This laptop does come with a few added extras such as a webcam, Bluetooth and wi-fi and has 3gb standard memory. It is a decent sized laptop with 15.6" screen and the picture and sound quality are both crisp and clear. As this is a laptop that we mainly purchased for the children, it tends to be mainly the internet that is used for research and social purposes and also word/excel for schoolwork purposes. The laptop loads the internet pretty quickly and keeps the signal well and word and excel work well too and again, we have encountered no issues with any of these things. The only very slight gripe I have with this laptop is that the battery doesn't seem to last too long, which is a little disappointing and even when it is fully charged, after half an hr or so, you are needing to plug the charger in to give it some more charge. Charging doesn't take long though which is handy and the power cable length is long enough to reach to the nearest plug socket whilst still allowing you to use the laptop from the comfort of your sofa, so although this is a little bit of a niggle, it hasn't caused us any major issues at all. Overall, this isn't the height of technology, nor is it particularly sleek and stylish in comparison to the latest models nowadays, but it does the job and does it well. It is a really well made computer that we haven't encountered any reliability issues with. The speed of the laptop is good and the overall quality is really good too and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

11.12.2013 09:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great, cost effective way to chill wine quickly

Like many, we do enjoy a glass (or bottle!) of wine in our house and there is nothing better than a chilled glass of white or rose wine. Sometimes purchasing a bottle of wine can be a spur of the moment decision and the last thing you have time for then is chilling the wine, if it hasn't already been kept chilled in the shop. When discussing wine with friends a few months back, one of them explained that she uses a wine cooler that she had purchased online and she swore by it so I popped in to get one and purchased the Vacuvin Rapid Ice Prestige Wine Cooler. The item cost me around the £13.00 mark, which I didn't think was too bad and you get an item which is quite basic, but works well. To use, you simply keep the item in the freezer until needed, so we keep ours in there permanently when not in use so it is ready to use when the need arises. It is available in a black or stainless steel finish and is available from many online stores including John Lewis. When you have a bottle of wine that needs chilling, you then simply remove the item from the freezer and place the wine bottle in it. You then simply leave for around 5 minutes and pour your wine and you find you have a nice, chilled glass of wine that has literally took minutes to chill. I am not sure how such a simple idea can be so effective, but it certainly is. Although we tend to use it most at home, it is also really handy if you are one that camps or picnics a lot during the summer, as it keeps the wine chilled for a good few hours, so even on a hot summer day, the travelling won't keep your wine warm and you can look forward to a nice chilled glass of wine on summers day. Ours came in especially handy during the nice summer we have just had where we had a few impromptu family barbecues and personally I don't think there is anything better than a chilled glass of wine whilst relaxing in the sun in the garden and this wine chiller is absolutely perfect for such occasions. Overall, this is a really simple, yet very effective concept. It is cheap and cheerful, but it chills a bottle of wine fast when you haven't had chance to chill it yourself and keeps it chilled too. Although it won't be used much during the winter months as there is not much need for it, I know for a fact that this will on permanent standby during the summer and we will certainly get plenty of use out of it, making it extremely good value for money and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• Beko HB60PX / Cooker Hood / 28 Readings / 28 Ratings
          10.12.2013 10:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great hood from the Beko range

When we had our kitchen done last, the one thing I wanted was a chimney hood. Firstly, because I think they look really stylish in a modern kitchen and secondly, for practical purposes as it can help eliminate smells etc from cooking. As a lot of the reason I wanted it was for cosmetic reasons, I didn't feel the need to purchase an expensive one and so we opted for the Beko. We chose this as we could get it on a 'buy now pay in 12 months' offer in my partners catalogue and it cost us £169.00, which I didn't think was too bad really, though you would obviously get it a bit cheaper if not purchasing from a catalogue as catalogue prices do tend to be hiked. This 60cm hood is stainless steel and looks really good. It has a rectangular chimney part which then tapers out to cover the majority of the hob. The design looks really sleek and stylish and you wouldn't think it was from a cheaper brand at all. It comes complete with two grease filters which are easy to change and two 40w hob illuminating lights which do come in really handy when cooking, especially during the winter when the kitchen is naturally darker. They aren't overly bright, but do the job of lighting the hob area sufficiently. The hood comes with a two year manufacturer's warranty and it works really well. It isn't overly noisy when on and extracts smells etc really well. I am generally a fan of the Beko range of products as although it is one of the cheaper brands, and not really a premium brand at all, I find their products well priced and reliable and this hood follows suit perfectly. It really adds something to the kitchen, without being too over the top. The design is classic and understated without being too bold and brash and looks really elegant in a classic, modern kitchen. I think the price we paid is a fair price for what we got and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• Dimplex DKT20 Dakota / Fireplaces / 32 Readings / 32 Ratings
            06.12.2013 09:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good electric fire from the Dimplex range

We have done quite a lot of work in the house over the last 12 months, and the one thing I was desperate to replace in our living room was the fireplace and surround that was in there, as it was the one installed by the previous owners a few years ago and featured white and blue tiles - which really wasn't to my taste at all! We found a surround and opted for an electric fire and ended up purchasing the Dimplex DKT20 electric fire. We opted for this purely because we liked the look of it, and also I have had a lot of dealing with the Dimplex range of products in my previous employment and had always found their products to of a high standard. We purchased ours from our local Argos store for £120, which I thought was quite decent for a fire from a well-known, well respected brand. This fire has two heat settings but I also like the fact that you can have the flame effect on, without actually having to have the heat on, which may seem a little odd, but it helps to create a nice warming, cosy atmosphere in the living room which is rather nice during the winter months. You have two heat settings on this fire and the great thing about having an electric fire is that it works first time, as I have had gas fires in the past that take forever to light, but that isn't a problem you will ever get with this. I imagined that having this on for a long period of time in a day would drain our electric, but it is quite easy to monitor how much it uses as we pay for our electric via a pre-payment meter and it really doesn't seem to have cost us anymore, and if it has, we are talking pennies, rather than pounds which is lovely. The fire has a nice modern look to it with a silver surround and white pebble interior and it looks really nice at the heart of the room. It looks homely and cosy, but with a modern twist and I am really pleased with it. Overall, we haven't found a negative point with this fire since owning it. It is well priced, has proven to be reliable so far, heats your room pretty quickly without costing the earth and creates a nice mood in the room so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• Perfectil / Nutritional Supplements / 23 Readings / 21 Ratings
            05.12.2013 09:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

A disappointing product

I am the first to admit that I don't eat as healthily as I should, so I use vitamin tablets to supplement my diet to ensure that I get a little extra vitamins to keep my body as healthy as I can and keep my energy levels up. Due to the lack of natural nutrients in my diet, my skin and nails suffer, with my skin being quite dull and my nails breaking easily, so when I saw the Perfectil range of vitamins in our local Boots a while ago, I decided to give them a try. The reason I chose these over other brands is that they contained vitamins specifically to help improve the look and condition of your skin, hair and nails. I have looked at, and used this type of product before and had gotten on ok with them, but they can be quite expensive, so I was quite pleased to find that a pack of 30 of these tablets only cost £5.50, when other similar products can easily be twice this price. As with any other similar product, these don't provide a quick fix and have to be used over time to see any marked improvement. However, I have persevered with these for quite a while now and have seen no noticeable improvement whatsoever. My hair, skin and nails all look as good/bad as they did before. My nails are still quite brittle and break as often as they used too, and my skin hasn't shown any marked improvement either. The condition and look of my hair was always pretty good, but again, I haven't seen any difference in the condition of my hair as my hair is naturally quite greasy and I was hoping that this would be combatted to a degree, but again, there has been no difference at all. These tablets haven't had a negative effect on me in any way, but when you are paying over £5.00 for a set of tablets to improve the look and condition of your hair, skin and nails, then you would eventually expect to see some difference, but these really haven't done anything for me at all, and as much as other brands are far more expensive, I would rather pay their prices and have them work. The tablets are quite big, but then this kind of tablet does tend to be, so if you are someone who has trouble swallowing tablets, then you may struggle a little with these, but at least they are pretty tasteless and you don't get any nasty aftertaste from them. Overall, I did have quite high hopes for these tablets when I saw them and felt that at £5.50, they would be a bit of a bargain, but unfortunately, they have proven to be a bit of a waste of money as I haven't seen any improvement in how I look or feel and so therefore I am unable to recommend these, and will not be purchasing them again.

• Samsung HT C450 / Home Cinema System / 32 Readings / 30 Ratings
              04.12.2013 09:35

Advantages

Disadvantages

A decent home cinema system from the Samsung range

My other half loves gadgets and electrical items and so he decided a while ago that we needed a home theatre system to accompany our television to improve the sound quality. As the main television in the home is Samsung, we decided to get a Samsung system to go with it. I left the purchasing decision to my partner and he opted for the Samsung HTC-450. My partner knows far more about this kind of stuff than I do, so I left him too it and was quite surprised at how simple the initial set up was, as my partner can lose his temper rather quickly if things don't go smoothly, but impressively, no parts got thrown and no tantrums arose, so set-up of this system is quite simple. I have to admit that the set does look really sleek and stylish. All the speakers are jet black and have a glossy finish to it, making it look more expensive than it was. My partner picked this up from a local electrical store for around the £120 mark, which I think is quite impressive for a brand such as Samsung. He strategically placed the speakers around the room to create a surround sound experience and I have to say, although I initially saw this as a bit of a waste of money, there is a definite sound improvement. It is most noticeable when watching a film or football match and you find yourself getting really involved and feeling like you are really in the middle of the film or football match which is quite a surreal experience. The sound quality is excellent and even when you have the volume on really high, you don't get any background interference and the sound quality is crisp and clear, just as you would wish it to be. Overall, this is a really good home theatre system which provides a fantastic viewing experience when watching a film or sporting occasion. The surround sound really enhances the film you are watching and makes it much more interesting. The set up guide tells you all you need to know and makes the initial set up really easy and it comes with a remote so you don't have to leave the sofa to adjust the volume. This is a really good home theatre system that is well worth the money as it looks good and sounds great and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

03.12.2013 09:47

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A great kettle from the Breville range

We live in a hard water area where the water can taste a bit nasty straight from the tap, so when we were on the lookout for a new kettle, and saw that Breville did one which incorporated the Brita Water Filter technology, we decided to purchase this one in the hope that it would make a nicer cuppa. The kettle looked like any regular kettle and had a silver bottom part, with see through top part which is illuminated when boiling. This makes the kettle look rather attractive but isn't really a feature that would personally make me purchase the kettle. Inside the kettle it is pretty much the same as a Brita water filter. There is a Brita Maxtra filter inside, which filters your water before you boil it so you don't need a separate water filter with this kettle as this filters water and boils it, all in the one kettle which I think is pretty smart. As you would get with a water filter, there is an indicator on the kettle which shows you when the filter needs changing and this is easily done by simply removing the old filter, replacing it with a new one, and resetting the indicator on the top back to 100%. We brought this kettle for £39.99, which I think is pretty good value for money. Of course you can get cheaper kettles, but do they have the same water filter technology in them? If you live in an area where your water is good, then you may wish to opt for a cheaper kettle as the extra technology you pay for would be a waste of money, but if you live or work in a hard water area, a kettle with the water filter technology included could be a godsend. The main question is, does it work? Well, yes it does actually and it works rather well. Due to our water not being of the best standard, we have used water filters before and found they do make a difference to the look and taste of our water, and this kettle is the same. When you make a cup of coffee or tea, you no longer have a rather disgusting film at the top of your drink, which really doesn't make the drink look very appetizing at all. Instead it looks clear and drinkable. You find too that your kettle doesn't need descaling as often too as the impurities have been removed before reaching the main part of the kettle, so your kettle will last longer too, making it really good value for money. Once the water has been filtered, the kettle boils quickly and quite quietly too, so there are no issues with how the kettle works at all. Overall, this is a fantastic kettle, should you work or live in a hard water area. It makes a cuppa, taste like a real cuppa and your water tastes fresh and looks clear too. Yes, this kettle isn't cheap, and on top of the kettle you have to purchase the filters, but this kettle saves you having to purchase and find room for, a separate water filter in your home. It really has made a difference to the quality of the water we drink and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

02.12.2013 10:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fantastic quality hob from the Smeg range

I know a little about kitchens, having previously worked for a bathroom & kitchen distributor and I know that Smeg are the highest quality manufacturer of kitchen appliances. Obviously with this title comes a hefty price tag, but when you know the right people, you can always get a good deal and so when we last did our kitchen, I managed to get a good deal on a Smeg hob. I was determined to have a ceramic hob when we had our new kitchen and I wanted a touch button one that was built into the worktop as I thought they looked really stylish and we opted for the Smeg SI3644D Touch Control hob. This hob has really enhanced my kitchen and is the focal point of the kitchen and I just love it. It has a really sleek and stylish design that is really easy to clean too. I was concerned when I first had it that using anything too harsh to clean would damage the surface of the hob, but I use a brillo pad to get rid of marks and it hasn't left any marks or scratches on the hob whatsoever, and I use a really soft cloth to bring the hob back to its shine after cleaning it and it still looks immaculate now. The hob has two large and two small rings with one of each size at the back, and the same at the front. It has 9 heat levels and I tend to cook most things on 5 to get an average heat. It is fast heating and has a safety lock too. The touch controls have never let me down yet and are located at the front of the hob so you don't have to lean across hot plates to get to the controls. Obviously installation of a product like this needs to be done by a professional but it seemed to be done with ease by a man who knew what he was doing, but it wasn't something that we ourselves, could have attempted. Although we paid a lot less than this, this hob does tend to retail at around £500, which is a hell of a lot of money for a hob, but in my opinion as it isn't a product that you are going to replace very often, it is well worth the money in my opinion as it is a very good quality product that hasn't let us down so far and it adds an extra element to your kitchen that makes it look just that little bit more fabulous. Highly recommended.

29.11.2013 09:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great carpet sweeper from Bissel

As our main vacuum at home, we have a Dyson which is excellent, but rather big and bulky to take up and down the stairs. I tend to give the upstairs a good vacuum once a week, but we have dark carpets and I hate to see bits on the carpet during the week so we got a carpet sweeper that I use daily to pick up the odd bits and pieces. I had an Argos voucher so purchased a Bissel Carpet Sweeper from Argos. The retail price of the one we had was £29.99. I really like this sweeper as it is quite thin and can be stored away in the wardrobe in our spare room so it isn't lying around the house looking a mess. It is so lightweight and really easy to use and whenever a few bits appear on the landing or in the bedrooms, I simply get the sweeper out the spare room and go over the bits. I couldn't use this as a regular vacuum upstairs as it does struggle with getting into corners and obviously you don't have any attachments for it but for general bits on the carpet, it is a great timesaver and keeps the upstairs of the house looking clean before I give it a good vacuum once a week. The sweeper would be great for someone elderly or less mobile as it is really easy to use and really lightweight too. For a non-electrical item, it works really well and picks up bits with ease. This one is suitable for both hard floors and carpets and isn't at all like the big, bulky sweepers of old. The sweeper part itself is quite thin and is mainly white with an opaque red panel across the front so you can easily see when it is full and emptying it is easy too. I imagine carpet sweepers to be something that went out with the dark ages, but I find ours to be really convenient and handy. I like to vacuum every day and this sweeper allows me to do this without having the hassle of heaving our big, bulky Dyson up and down the stairs on a daily basis. It fits nicely into a cupboard without taking up too much space and works really well and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• Toshiba 24D1333B / LCD TV / 28 Readings / 28 Ratings
                  28.11.2013 09:48

Advantages

• Reliability

Disadvantages

A great television/DVD combi from the Toshiba range

A couple of months ago, we decided to purchase a new television for our spare room as the one we previously had in there was old and looked hideous. As it is a spare room and wouldn't be used regularly, obviously we didn't want to spend a fortune, but we thought it would be nice for my partner's daughter, who stays every other weekend with us, to have a nice television to watch when she is here. After much deliberation and scouring the internet, we decided on the Toshiba 24D1333B television. We chose this for a few different reasons. The first, and main reasons being the price and size. As it is to sit on a chest of drawers, we obviously couldn't have anything too big and so we decided that 24" seemed the perfect size for our needs and we found this one at Argos for £180, which we thought was quite reasonable. The price seemed even more reasonable when we realised this one had a built-in DVD player. This wasn't something that had been on our wish list when considering the television, but realised this would be a great idea for our step-daughter and other guests as they could have the choice of either the tv or dvd. Another added bonus to this television was that it came with built in freeview too. We thought getting all this for £180, and with the television being from a decent brand, that it was a really good deal and so hence, we purchased it. This Toshiba television is a 24" LED HD television. It is available in black or white and comes with the stand, remote control, batteries for the remote and an instruction manual, along with everything you need to get it set up. Although it comes with the stand, it is set up ready to be wall mounted too, though the fittings for this would need to be purchased separately. This is a decent looking television, though nowhere near as sleek and stylish as some of the newer, more expensive brands nowadays and whereas most of the newer models have miniscule frames, this one has quite a thick black frame on it, but it still looks a nice, decent television. The initial set up is really simple and quick too, to the degree that we didn't need to use the manual, which is rather surprising as neither myself or my partner are exactly technical geniuses and so far, we have not encountered any reliability issues with either the television itself, or the dvd player, which has worked perfectly the few times it has been used and played all dvd's we have inserted without any skipping at all. You do wonder when you purchase a cheap television, what the quality will be like once you start using it but I have to say we have had no issues with this one whatsoever. The picture is bright, crisp and clear, as you would expect it to be and the sound is just as good too with no background interference at all. Overall, due to the size, this wouldn't be the kind of television you would have as your main television, but for a bedroom or kitchen television, this is a really good quality television that provides excellent value for money. The television alone would have been worth the £180 in my opinion, but the fact that you get built-in freeview and a built-in dvd player too is a bonus and makes this television a bargain and so therefore it comes with a high recommendation from me.

• Nikon Coolpix S3200 / Digital Camera / 29 Readings / 26 Ratings
                  26.11.2013 10:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

A decent, cheap camera from the Nikon range

A family member of mine passed away a few months ago and I have inherited their camera as mine was starting to have faults. The camera they owned was a Nikon Coolpix S3200. I have owned a camera from this brand before and really liked it, so I hoped this one would perform in a similar manner. This camera is black and has a really sleek and stylish look to it. It is a small, lightweight compact camera so will fit easily into a handbag without adding too much weight or taking up too much space. My relative that passed away was quite elderly and wasn't really a technology fan so for him to be able to work this camera, it would have to have been quite simple to use - and it is. Although I am far more technically minded than he was, I am no technology expert either, but I managed to find my way around the camera without having to follow the instruction manual. The camera seems to retail at around the £70 mark, which I would say is about right as it is a decent quality camera, but there are better out there. We also own a rather expensive Samsung camera, but it is big and bulky, hence why we like a smaller camera to take out and about and although the Nikon takes decent pictures, the quality of the photos on our Samsung camera is far greater and shows the difference in quality. This camera takes decent photos, but the definition isn't fantastic. It has a decent zoom and even when using the zoom at its highest, the photo still takes well and isn't distorted at all. Overall if you are after a small, compact camera that takes a decent photo then this may suit you. Should you be after a more professional finish, or you wish to take your photography to the next level, then you would probably want something more substantial than this camera. At £70 though, I don't think this is a bad camera and doesn't cost the earth so if you want a cheap and cheerful camera that takes a decent photo and is easy to carry around with you then this one is worth a look. It looks good, does the job and doesn't cost the earth and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me, but not a high one!

• Cookworks KP400 / Juicer / 26 Readings / 25 Ratings
                  25.11.2013 09:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

A decent beginners juicer

I have many kitchen gadgets in my house but one thing I had never owned up until recently was a juicer. I am not a huge fan of fruit, more because of the texture than the taste, but wanted to increase my intake of fruit for health reasons and thought a juicer would be a good way to go. As I wasn't sure if this was going to be a fad, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a product that may get used a few times, then gather dust in a cupboard so I purchased mine from Argos quite recently as the one I chose was on offer. I went for the KP400 Kenwood Juicer which was on offer from £22.99 to £16.59 which I thought was pretty decent considering some fancy juicers can cost a couple of hundred pounds! This is quite a basic, beginner's juicer but then that's all I needed. The juicer is really easy to use and works pretty well. It is a little slow and takes a little longer than I would have expected it to, but it does the job and does it well. The juicer has a removable filter, stainless steel blades, a safety locking handle and safety switch, 2 speed settings and a 0.5L juice capacity. The juicer is a little noisy whilst doing its thing, but it's not like it lasts long, so isn't really a major problem. It is really easy to clean too which is handy. There are much bigger and better juicers on the market, but for someone like me who will only use this juicer occasionally, then this suits my needs down to the ground. Although it takes a little longer than I would have expected, it does work and turns fruit into juice, making it easy for me to get my recommended daily allowance without having to eat whole pieces of fruit, which I really am not keen on. The juicer is quite an ugly contraption and looks really cheap and tacky so I don't like to keep it on the worksurface, but as it isn't too big, it fits nicely into a cupboard, without taking up too much space. Overall, this is a decent, cheap, basic juicer which does the job well without costing the earth and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• Tesco IR19 Steam Iron / Iron / 23 Readings / 23 Ratings
                  22.11.2013 09:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not a great iron from the Tesco range

I get through irons like you wouldn't believe. Most electrical appliances I choose well with and they tend to last a long time, but who knows what my problem with irons is, but they don't seem to last whether I purchase a cheap or expensive one and I have to say the worst I have ever owned is the Tesco's IR19 Iron. A couple of years ago when the economy started to shrink, money was a bit tight and so when my decent iron broke, at that point I couldn't really afford to replace it with another expensive one so I just went for a cheap Tesco's one. I appreciated that as this was so cheap, it wasn't going to be of great quality, but it really was the worst I have ever owned (and I have owned a few!). I did like the fact that it was lightweight, which meant it was easy to use, but it didn't glide across the clothes particularly well which meant ironing became a bit of a chore as I often ended up with large creases in the clothes from the iron. In one sense, the iron being so light was quite handy for me, but it had a really cheap and nasty feel to it and my initial feelings were that this wasn't going to last long and I was right. It leaked a little water when ironing which I found disappointing and perhaps at this point I should have sent it back for a refund, but to be honest I couldn't really be bothered as it was a cheap and cheerful iron but just a few weeks later, around 6 weeks if I remember rightly, the iron stopped working completely. At this point I did take the iron back as although it was cheap, you still expect it to last longer than that and fortunately my faith in Tesco's was restored as they couldn't have been more helpful and offered me an exchange or full refund on the product and I took the refund as I really didn't want to purchase the same model again as generally I had found this one extremely disappointing. The iron was mainly white with a blue water tank area and is a 1600w iron with a 250ml water tank which is sufficient for a decent load of ironing. It reaches temperature rather quickly and delivers variable steam. You can adjust the temperature of the iron so you don't burn or singe certain materials via the dial which is located on the water tank in the middle of the iron. Overall, I very rarely have to give a product 1 star as I don't tend to purchase on impulse and always do my homework before purchasing a product to ensure I get a decent quality product but everyone makes mistakes and I made a mistake with this one. I have purchased other Tesco irons which have been ok, but this one certainly lets the side down and so therefore it gets one star from me unfortunately. A disappointing iron.