• Comments

Member since: 01.09.2009

05.11.2015 12:31

• "illuminates and plumps up skin"

• "smell and maybe price"

Good product I will buy again as it does what is claims too

Elemis pro-radiance illuminating flash balm. I decided to buy this after I tried a sample version and wanted to see how I faired with it for a bit longer.

***THE PACKAGE***

The Elemis flash balm moisturizer comes in somewhat of an under stated package I would say. It is an all white tube that stands on a screw top lid. It has grey writing on it and it is neat, efficient and does the job intended, but I have to say if on a shelf it would not really stand out. To be fair however if you want Elemis you go to their counter so are specifically looking for their products or browsing the makeup counters.
      On the front simply says the name Elemis and that it is a pro-radiance illuminating flash balm and that it is anti-aging.
      On the back they giver you there motto “defined by nature led by science” and a little information of how the balm works and should be applied.

Under that is a full list of ingredients, which is as follows: -

Aqua/Water/Eau, Octyldodecanol, Propylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Stearate, Mica, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Bisabolol, Pullulan, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Polyacrylamide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Fragrance (Parfum), Methylpropanediol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Lecithin, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin) Oil, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Phosphate, Litsea Cubeba Fruit Oil, Caramel, Orchis Mascula (Orchid) Extract, Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Morinda Citrifolia (Noni) Fruit Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Bixa Orellana Seed Extract, Potassium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate, Benzoic Acid, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Dehydroacetic Acid, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sorbic Acid, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Salvia Sclarea (Clary Sage) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Oil, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citral, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol.

What I do like is that the product is not tested on animals and is British made.

£35 for 50mls it is not a cheap product and it does only last for 6 months once opening.

It is another one of the creams that I find has a peculiar smell. Kind of glueish and I still don’t know what it is. It is not as strong as some so I am not put off, but I do find it odd that with all the science that they could make it smell slightly better.

The colour is an off white, can’t really say anymore!

The cream is thick and stays in place once squeezed from the tube, it won’t run away from you. I like this fact as I feel like I don’t waste any of the product and can exact out the amount I require a lot easier.

When you look at the cream you can see a slight sheen to it that I assume is the illuminating part.

The cream is designed to be used as a day moisturizer. But they say it can also be used as a primer over you regular moisturizer, or a radiance booster.

I personally feel if you are going to by a moisturizer that has a primer and radiance boost effect, why but other products to do the same thing? Baffles me. I do use a primer over it sometimes but that is one that has colour to it like a foundation.

Anyhow back to the product application. It smoothes in very easily to the skin and absorbs without an oily residue. The illuminating effect is subtle but after a few days worth of use I can certainly see the advantage, especially in the autumn weather. My skin gets a fair amount of abuse from air con at work to wind and rain when walking the dogs and I do feel this has helped give me a more consistent look and feel to my skin.
      The tightening effect is about right not so tight you feel like you have been stretched but I firmness to boost my feelings and the onset of loss of elasticity!

It is an anti-aging cream and so I am hopeful that this will be ongoing with the cream. Fine lines are slightly improving with use as the tightening and plumping effects of the cream take hold.

Easy, just use a face wash or cleanser as with any other face product.

I am very impressed with this cream and would purchase it again.

Elemis is a British company which provides there products worldwide and has various Spa’s around which can be found on there website www.elemis.com you can also buy products from there.

They also supply to individual and chain Spa and beauty treatment out lets.

In some stores of Debenhams they have counters that may be beneficial to see someone regarding your needs.

Review maybe posted on other review sites under the same username Siberian-queen©

17.10.2015 16:17

• " no oil"
      • "works well"

• "may be price"

PoreTastic! A great primer for under makeup or alone

I originally got the Benefit Pore Professional, a primer, as a freebee when I bought a few other Benefit items. However I have bought the full size version since, as I believe it is a good product.

Benefit claim the product to be a primer, or pro balm as they call it, to minimize the appearance of pores. The product is suitable for use both under and over make-up.
      Oil free, lightweight and translucent.

***SO IS THIS THE “PORE fessional “ IT CLAIMS TO BE? ***

So to start on opening you box you get a very useful little how to apply guide! This shows you in both picture and word format, which I think, is a great idea, as it shows you EXACTLY how to and where to apply.

So most people use their primer in the morning. After first cleaning and moisturizing your face you can begin to apply the primer.
      All you need is a small amount of the cream that comes out as a sort of pale beige colour. The colour at first I was a bit unsure of, as I am pale skinned but fear not, the primer absorbs and gives a brightening effect to my skin but no actual colour I would say.
      The texture is oh so good! It really does feel silky smooth and after applying to my skin is much more refined and pores are much more difficult to see. I tend to use the primer mainly around my nose and chin, but you could put it anywhere on your face. It is absorbed within seconds – I really mean that – I was so surprised at the benefit of it and after then applying my foundation, it helps keep my make-up set for longer.

After a while in the day I tend to get oily breakthroughs, especially on my forehead and nose or T zone. I used to apply face powder, which sometimes just cakes up my skin. Now I just dab on a little of the pore professional. It takes away the shine but without giving a set matt look, instead you achieve a sheen of healthy looking skin.
      As they say in the leaflet, take it in your handbag for emergency top ups – I do!

Overall, the product it fantastic in my opinion! It does everything I want and need. It is oil free, which is great as I have combination skin. Its light so does not weigh down my skin before I have even applied make-up. It gives my skin a more flawless complexion that is easier to apply my foundation and makes it last longer too! Basically I love it!

***THE PACKAGE***

The primer comes in a mint green mix cardboard box.
      The box provides you with lots of information about the product regarding how to apply it both under and over make-up.
      At the bottom is a full list of ingredients, which are as follows: -
      Cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, isononyl isononanoate, silic, dimethicone crosspolymer, isododecane, phenoxyethanol, polymethyl methacrylate, titanium dioxide (cl 77891), cyclohexasiloxane, tocopheryl acetate, parfum, mica, iron oxides (c77492), limonene, iron oxides (cl 77491, c77499) triethoxycaprylylsilane, bht.

This may seem a little scary with all the metal, but it is quite common in many products of make-up now and if ever unsure research on the Internet for any possible ingredients that may irritate your skin type.

For 22 mls you should expect to pay about £24.50. This does seem a lot to some I am sure but a little goes a long way and you can often pick up good deals and sample on the website.

Available from Benefit counters in bigger department store of Debenhams, Boots and House of Frazer. Benefit stores in some bigger cities. Online at www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk or in other make-up online stores.

Review maybe posted on other review sites under the same username Siberian-queen ©

01.10.2015 15:07

• "relaxing and great bubbles"

• price

And Relax.... in an aromatherapy bubble bath

There are some days when a soak in a bubble bath is just in order.

After my recent obstacle mud run this was one of those days (after I had a shower to clear the mud). Now for this I required something a little more relaxing for muscles than the usual bubble bath, so I opted for my recent purchase for such occasions. Clarins “Relax” which is a bath and shower concentrate with essential oils.

The product comes in a clear plastic bottle with a white screw top lid. All very simple in its manner which follows the lines of the Clarins range.
      The bottle is easy to pour from and just needs a little squeeze to provide enough gel through the small hole in the top of the bottle. I do like the idea of the smaller hole, as without it I would probably use too much.

On the top of the lid is written Clarins in red, other than that the writing is all white which shows up clearly against the sea blue of the gel. Even when the bottle is nearing empty you can still see what it says easily.

On the front just tells you what it is, but on the back it does indicate for adult use only. My only issue with this is that it does not advise people to be cautious if taking medication or are pregnant. I don’t believe there is any conclusive evidence for issues with pregnancy but as herbal remedies can effect some medications actions when taken orally, I feel it should be at least acknowledged that you should take care or seek advice.

***SO WHATS IT LIKE? ***

On opening the bottle there is a definite aromatherapy smell. I quite like it is relaxing as indicated by the name, it’s a shame it does not tell you on the bottle what oils are in it. However if you look online it does say it includes St. Johns wort, Linden, thyme, hawthorn and Valerian for relaxing your muscles and Basil, chamomile and petit grain for soothing your skin. With a few other things listed too like bitter orange, horse chestnut, coconut, mint and hop.

I only squirt a small amount under the running tap as it really does bubble up very well and if you are going to use a small amount on a sponge also, you get the added benefit of a bit extra on your skin.
      The smell is stronger now that it is in a warm bath and is very relaxing, which in turn helps my muscles to relax and hopefully ache less tomorrow!

The oils do take effect on my skin and I can feel that my skin is more moisturized after the bath but I still require a lotion. Whether this would be better if I used the gel on a regular basis I am not sure and personally, I use this as a treat bubble bath due to the price!

Although there are oils in the gel it does clean easily from the bath and it is not like an ice rink to step out of.
      Do my muscles feel better the next day? I still ache! But I think that was going to be a given.

Available from Clarins counters in big department stores like Debenhams and House of Fraser. Also available online at www.clarins.co.uk

Price is a whopping £19.00 for 100ml with an 18month expiry.

Would I use it again? Yes for special treats, I am not sure I would buy it at full price though I would wait for special offers or get it as a gift purchase.

23.09.2015 19:52

• "It moisturises"

• "Didn't work for me and the smell"

Didn't do the job it offered

Garnier Ultra lift Day Cream Moisturizer.

The garnier ultra lift moisturizer is part of an anti-aging range that includes day, night and eye creams.
      I have chosen to try the day cream as I already have products for the other areas/times left in my cabinet.

*** THE PROMISES***

So Garnier promises to give me an anti-wrinkle cream that will reduce the appearance of my wrinkles by lumping my skin, which in turn allows my skin to feel firmer. Then I will get a radiance boost by the cream smoothing my skin and hydrating it.

All of these things sound wonderful and especially as the products ingredients are combined with regenerating plant cells.
      It is suitable for an age range of 35-60 years. This is quite a wide range in my opinion as I think that people between these ages can often have a widely differing face care needs, but still I fit in the bracket so off we go and try.

***AND DO THEY KEEP THEM?***

On opening my pot and scooping a small amount out, the moisturizer is quite thick and slightly off white in colour. Nice texture as it is not too runny and has the feel of a quality, substantial cream.
      I didn’t really notice on opening the pot but on applying to my face the cream has an odd smell, slightly glueish in my opinion. I don’t know what it is (hopefully not glue!) but I don’t really like it I have to say.
      Not to be put off though I continue to use my moisturizer until the end.
      The cream absorbs really well with no glistening of oil left over on my skin and provides a good base for makeup. It does moisturize well and my skin doesn’t feel tight at all, it feels well hydrated. Not sure it’s given me a radiance boost it has to be said.
      One major selling point of this cream is the anti-wrinkle claims. To point out I don’t really have significant wrinkles but I am starting to get some lines around my eyes but it would be nice to reduce what I have got.
      Inside your box comes a wrinkle reader so you can see where you start and finish after using the cream. Unfortunately it didn’t affect my wrinkles at all.

The cream comes in a dark red round pot, slightly bulbous at the bottom with a screw top lid.
      Available in larger chemists and Boots stores. Price is around £10

It is not one for me, I don’t like not recommending things mainly because someone else’s skin may love it and become wrinkle free. However as I had no improvement and it has an off putting smell I cant recommend it.

15.09.2015 19:05

• " fun scent"
      • "great moisturiser"

• "bit pricey at full price"

A lovely moisturiser that works with a great smell

The Body Shop Raspberry Body Butter

***THE PACKAGE***

The raspberry butter comes in a deep pinky purple round tub. The tub size is good size, 200ml, with which you can grab with one hand and takes up the whole of my hand, which makes it easier to grip and unscrew the lid.
      The tubs are standard across the range but vary in colour depending on the scent inside, unless you are buying the smaller mini ones to try. These are the same but a size of 50ml.
      The tubs are nice as they sit well on a shelf and can be stacked easily.
      On the lid is a giant raspberry with a small Body Shop logo in the middle. I like it is simple and informative to let you know the scent inside without having to read the label. The label is found underneath and like so many now they have a peel back option, which in this case gives you the full list of ingredients. Now this will annoy some people who are particular about ingredients in the products they use, as unless you research before, you would have to peel the label in the shop itself.
      Ingredients are listed as follows: -
      Water, theobroma cacao seed butter, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, butyrospermum parkii butter, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, PEG 100 stearate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, ethylhexyl palmitate, cera alba/beeswax/cire d abeille, seseamum indicum seed oil, seseamum indicum (sesame) seed oil, bertholletia excels seed oil, dimethicone, parfum, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol, rubus idaeus seed oil/rubus idaeus (raspberry) seed oil, xanthan gum, disodium edta, ytocopherol, sodium hydroxide, linalool, citric acid, cl 14700, cl 17200

Under this sticker it also says they are against animal testing and support community fair trade.
      There is a blipper box to scan if you download an app which apparently will show you videos of community fair trade stories.

So moving on to the actual product.

When you open the tub after a few seconds you are hit by the gently aroma of, yes you guessed it, raspberry! I would be very disappointed it I wasn’t.
      The smell is a good scent and fairly strong. It is noticeable when you are applying and you can notice it on you skin for a few hours I would say after. It is not one of there most strongly scented if you have purchased the range before. \

The colour is a strong baby pink. I do like it but it might have been nice if the colour was a little deeper to resemble more the raspberry.

Diving in to my body butter is fabulous. The butters are so thick and cream they are delight to use and this one does not disappoint. Rich cream is easily scooped out and melts into your skin within a few seconds leaving it feel adorably soft. This soft feeling lasts as well, something I struggle to get with other moisturizers. Considering in the ingredients it seems to list a lot of oils, this doesn’t give any shiny slick.
      It is a great all over body moisturizer and is designed for dry skin in mind so is ideal for use after shaving your legs where I have found not stinging effect.

The product lasts for twelve months after opening but mine never last that long.
      For me this is a stable product of varying scents in my bathroom.

Would I recommend – yes, highly. It works wonderfully and has a lovely range of scents.

Available from www.thebodyshop.co.uk or in the stores.

Price is around £14 which seems like a lot, but I have never had to purchase one at full price as I tend to buy a few when they have them on a half price sale, which is quite frequent!

Review maybe posted on other review sites under the same username siberianqueen ©

31.08.2015 17:22

• "does clean my makeup off"

• price

Does what it says and removes makeup - but is expensive!! & cheaper options available

Review of Lancôme cleansing fluid for face and eyes.

***THE PACKAGE***

The cleansing fluid comes in a white plastic bottle with a clear screw top lid, portraying the Lancôme name on it.
      On the bottle is the imprint of the Lancôme flower logo, how to use and a list of ingredients as follows for those that are interested, or know what half of them are! : -
      Water, mineral oil, isopropyl myristate, ultramarines, pineapple fruit extract, sodium hydroxide, hydro citronellal, peg32, peg60 hydrogenated castor oil, eugenol, chlorphenesin, silica, linalool, benzyl alcohol, cinnylalcohol, propanediol, caprylyl glycol, papain, carbomer, hexyl cinnamal, perfume.

The bottle is easy to use; a gentle squeeze gives a small amount of the product via a small hole in the top. It stands up very well and given the size (400ml) is easily handled.

***THE PRODUCT***

The cleansing fluid is a light, white lotion in a quite thin consistency with a clean fresh smell of no particular fragrance to me. It does feel quite creamy when applied to the skin and so I can appreciate them saying it is gentle and softening. I can’t say whether it particularly softens because it’s not on my skin long enough to notice.
      To use you apply a small amount to a clean cotton pad/ball and gently move over your face and eyes to remove make-up.
      I find I do need a reasonable amount to remove my makeup, but it does quite well. I need to go over the same area a few times for my eyes, to remove darker colour eye shadow, eyeliners and lipstick. For waterproof mascara I do need a bit more of a firmer rub, again of a few times. Other than that, one or two swipes for my foundation and blusher.
      My skin does feel clean and freshened after using but you are needing to use a toner afterwards to remove the lotion left behind, of which they have there own to match.
      Recommended for normal to combination skin.

Price comes in at £36.00 for 400ml bottle

Available from www.lancome.co.uk or at department store with Lancôme counters.

I would use it again but am somewhat undecided on recommending it. It does what it says and a quite good job in doing it. However, given the price I would not go out of my way to buy it and would probably only use it if it was part of a gift set. There are plenty of cleansers on the market from cheaper brands that do a good if not better job like garnier etc

15.08.2015 12:42

• "interesting and insightful"

• "not for everyone"

An insightful look at grief and mental health

An insightful book The Shock Of The Fall by Nathan Filer

When I started reading the book I had no idea what it was about, as the blurb on the back doesn’t really give it away.
      It had good vibes – Costa book of the year, “You’re going to love it” quotes the Daily Mail, plus a few others say its dark, moving and compelling.

So What’s The Book About And What I Think?

The book is written from the perspective of Matthew, a ten-year-old boy who is on holiday when we first meet him. He is in a caravan park with his dad, mum and older brother Simon who is twelve.
      Matthew sets about telling you his story of how he and his brother meet a girl at the holiday park called Annabelle. It doesn’t really seem that important at the time but the girl plays on Matthews mind over the years and features again at the end of the book.

Simon has Downs Syndrome and quite abruptly within the first two chapters he’s dead. So is this book about grief and how a young child deals with it? Partly but it has many more aspects later to be divulged.

We as the readers follow Matthew through his journey into teenage years where his parents, more the mother find it difficult to cope with the loss of a child. Matthew it seems is somewhat forgot, not on purpose but his emotional needs appear to have got lost in the day to day coping of life after death.

He starts secondary school and acting out as teenagers do, becomes friends with a boy called Jacob. Jacob is somewhat of a mystery to Matthew to begin with he runs out of school at lunch every day and as soon as the bell rings, one day Matthew follows. To his surprise Jacob is a carer for his mother, something clearing not know to the teachers who just see an acting out teen. It is this which makes Matthew decide to be a care assistant when he leaves school. Which is when he and Jacob get a flat and smoke pot.

Whilst at school Matthew realizes he is not quite the same as the other children. As a reader you get the idea that something is not right, and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, you know there is something but cant quite put your finger on it. Turns out Matthew has mental health issues and later is diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Matthew sees Simon frequently in his mind and in other people. Becoming more and more involved in his mental health issues Matthew appears to blame himself for the death of his brother and cant seem to get past it. His thoughts delusional or not escalate and he ends up sectioned to a mental health ward.

This is an intriguing part and an integral one to the story as Matthew gives you an insight into how the ward runs on a day-to-day basis and because of the simplicity of his writing you understand better. I like the addition of letters from the mental health team when he does not comply with his medications; it makes it seem more real. The way the story is written is quite disjointed, especially when you start reading, but as you understand about the mental health issues you can see why it is so disjointed, that’s just how Matthews mind was working / thinking and he projects it well.

Towards the end you see Matthew try to resolve some of his long-term grief by going back to the caravan park and meeting Annabelle again. Matthew continues his story of yet the rest is left to be told.

I did like the story. Its not one that makes me keep reading and demanding to know what’s on the next page, but it’s a realistic story.
      I found it interesting more than exciting. It was interesting to hear about the wards and that you as a reader could see how the mental health issues developed over the years. Starting the story in such a poignant way was crucial I think to the storyline.
      I don’t think it’s a book I love like the Daily Mail said, I’m not sure its that kind of story really, but I do find it honest and I like that.
      It is a well-written book in my opinion and although written by someone else on behalf of Matthew, it portrays his character well and I feel like I know Matthew somewhat.
      I hope Matthew has achieved some of the answers he wants.

Published by Harper Collins 2013
      RRP £7.99
      Available from book stores like Waterstones and online shops like Amazon

03.08.2015 18:26

• light

• " does not really set my make up"
        • "only 3 colours"

not for me, given the price i don't think it does a good enough job

I have no particular preference to brand when it comes to face powder, I just buy whatever I think is good or on offer at the time.

Revlon face powder appealed to me as I had already tried some of their products and liked them before.

****THE PACKAGE****

The powder comes in a black slim line compact measuring 11cm by 6.5cm and a depth of just over 1cm.
        There is a clear circle of the front so that you can see the product inside which is ideal for seeing at a glance what it is in your handbag and how much is left. The snap shut on the case is also very effective so no extra powder escapes.
        It’s not the standard circular compact but the fact that it is so long means it sits well in your hand more like a mobile phone sits.
        It comes with a mirror in the lid but it is quite small due to the clear circle so you have to move it around to see which part or your face you are powdering.
        On the bottom half below the powder is a small brush. The bristles are lovely and soft but the handle could be a bit bigger to hold on too. I have to say I prefer a soft pad to apply my powder when I am out and about, otherwise I end up covered with particles of powder and it makes more of a mess in the compact itself.

***THE POWDER***

The actual powder – I have used better, I have used worse.
        This one feels cheaper to me, I think its because the powder has tiny particles which seem to sit on my skin rather than being matte. On this respect it does seem to matte better if you use a pad rather than the brush. It’s supposed to give an “airbrushed” look “cover flaws” and “eliminate shine”.

With regards to the airbrushed look I can see that maybe this is what they are trying to achieve and for go the matte of the face, if you like a powder that doesn’t feel like its heavy on the face than this might be worth a try. To me though it still feels like its just not setting my makeup completely.
        The product apparently contains some “photo chromatic pigments” which are supposed to reflect the light giving the photo ready idea so maybe this is why it sits on your skin more than other powders.

I don’t think it really covers flaws to be honest, it is to light a powder to do that.

SHINE BE GONE-
        Eliminating shine? It does do this reasonably. When I first apply it I think t is not going to but it seems to absorb the shine quite well and it is a fair period of time (a number of hours) before I need to reapply. Bearing in mind I do get quite shiny skin. The product is oil free and has a sun factor protection of 14.

The powder only comes in three colours, which is a not that great a choice really given the wide range of skin colours of people. There is fair/light, light/medium and medium/deep.
        Mine is light/fair as I have quite pale skin and it does blend well with no significant lines noticeable.

Available from Boots and some larger chemist stores and online make-up sites.

It is around £11.

Probably not one I would buy again to be honest. Given the price I don’t think it does a good enough job for my skin.

26.07.2015 16:57

• "hydrates and plumps my skin"

• price

My skin does feel better after using this, but it is expensive

I had some vouchers for Boots so I thought I would treat myself to some nice facial products that I had never tried before – Cairns. The main reason I had not tried them was price if I’m honest but as there was the potential of a gift when you buy three items I was willing.

On arriving at my Boots store I spoke with the women at the counter about products and the free gift. Unfortunately the free gifts had gone, but to my surprise she said she would throw together a few things for me if I bought the three products. So into the chair I go for a try out of facial treatments selected for my skin.
        The three products were a serum, being reviewed here, a night serum/oil and a facial moisturizer. The “gift” comprised of trial size treats of cleansing cream, bath oil and full size body lotion, exfoliating cream, face mask and hand cream. So I did feel like I got a bit extra.

The serum she chose for me was Cairns Hydra quench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase.

The product comes in Cairns signature box of white with red writing, quite plain really but I suppose some might say it is elegant. The product information is written around the box in various languages, along with the ingredients list (listed at the end).

The claims are
        • Works with your skin to provide and restore moisture balance
        • Smooths dehydration lines to give a more youthful skin

The use according to the leaflet from the company

Alfalfa – to help plump up the skin
        Katafray extract – to give a more even skin surface
        Inca peanut oil – to help restore the skins protective film
        Organic sorbier bud extract – for a brighter face

So the actual serum comes in a thick glass blue bottle with a pump action top covered with a gold coloured lid. Again the elegance theme is going on and it does look nice and expensive on the shelf, without being in your face.

The smell is fresh and clean, no particular fragrance that I can identify but it is very nice.
        You need to shake the bottle well before use. When you look at your bottle you can see the liquid inside separates into two and you need a good few seconds to mix it up properly or you will not get the full benefit of the serum.
        When using Cairns recommend that you use a small amount about the size of a hazelnut to apply to your face. I agree this probably is about right, if you use too much you are wasting this expensive treat! And it just takes longer to soak in so go sparingly is my advice. Now the only issue I have with this, is that it can be a little tricky to stop the pump when you have enough serum, it took me a few goes to get it right. Whilst we are on the pump topic, I must say my other negative is that there are tiny little beads in the serum (not sure which bit they are), which don’t always disperse evenly if you don’t shake well and they end up clogging up, waiting by the hole so sometimes you end up with a splodge of beads. Its not a major issue and has never stopped the serum flowing, its just a bit of a niggle.

The serum itself is a clear to pale blue in colour and the beads a white/blue. It feels velvety to the touch and slightly oily but feels lovely when you massage it onto your face with you fingertips.
        It absorbs quickly probably about 10 seconds at most, I tend to make sure it has otherwise when you apply your moisturizer you are mixing the two.
        My moisturizer glides on after applying the serum, probably as it has a better base to adhere to and my skin certainly feels more hydrated after applying. I have not used many other serums yet to compare it to, but so far I am impressed with the improvement it has made to by skin feeling.
        I do feel like it plumps my skin a bit and it does feel hydrated, I am not overly convinced on the easing of lines bit but it is not meant to be a line corrector I guess, just an aid.

So would I buy it and use it again? I would, but given the price I would have to have a few other things like free gifts with it as I do think it is expensive, or if it was on a special offer.

A whopping £43 for 30mls – this in the more expensive make-up range! Lasts for 18months.

Available from larger department stores where counters are like Boots and Debenhams

Available at www.clairns.co.uk where you can get a few free treats and special offers.

Also available on some make-up websites.

Ingredients list –
        Aqua, glycerin, iso-hexadecane, isonoyl isononanovate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, sodium pca, trehalose, plukenetia volubilis seed oil, benzophenone-4, sodium chloride, parfum, phenoxyethanol, tocopherylacetate, ethylhexyglycerin, tromethamine, xanthamine gum, sodium hyaluronate, disodium edta, alcohol, caprylyl, carrageenan extract, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, alfalfa extract,cedreloprsis grevei bark extract, pyrus sorbus bud extract, sorbic acid, tocopherol, blue and violet colours.

Review maybe posted on other sites under the same username Siberian-queen ©

20.07.2015 16:11

• " quite gentle for a scrub"
        • "nice smell"

• "none for me"

A great scrub which is gentle so ideal for the srcub starter

I often purchase Original Source shower gels and spotted this one which was a daily scrub instead so thought I would give it a go.

Original Source is a company that provides a variety of items like shower gels, hand wash and similar bathroom items. They are made in the UK, not tested on animals, recyclable packaging and generally have fruity based products.

I love the colours of Original Source items they are almost always bright and cheery just what I need when getting up in the morning.
        I also love the fact that they say how many fruits etc. it took to make the product – in this case 425 crushed cranberry seeds.
        The bottle is clear plastic so emphasizes the lovely deep pinky colour, which is dotted with black specks or cranberry seeds.

***SCRUBBING AWAY***
        On opening you are not blown away by smell like some, this is quite delicate as the cranberries are missed with honey to aid with some skin moisturizing after the scrubbing effects of the cranberries. I like it, it reminds me of summer time for some reason.
        So when applying either with your hand or a cloth of some sort you get a little lather, its not excessive but I guess the idea of this product is to exfoliate. The little seeds don’t give you a harsh scrub like some others, this is gentler and I deal if you want to use it every day. It would also make a great starter scrub for the newbie or someone who has slightly more sensitive skin.
        It washes off very easily although if you do use it in a bath, beware some cranberry seeds will remain on the base of the bath.

***THE AFTER EFFECTS***
        My skin feels clean and slightly healthier to me. I feel like I have had a deep clean. I personally don’t use it every day but that is because I like to mix and match my products so I don’t get bored! Its not overly moisturizing but it is not drying and so good enough for me.

Overall, yes I recommend!

***AVALIBILITY & PRICE***
        Available in many big supermarkets and online beauty sites for around £2.20 but can often be found on deals.

Review may be posted on other review sites under the same username Siberian-queen©

• Skellig - David Almond / Junior Book / 12 Readings / 12 Ratings
        16.07.2015 19:29

• "quick and easy read for all ages"

• "none for me"

A great book that is suitable for all ages to read from about 10 up

Skellig by David Almond

This book is written from the perspective of a young boy, in my estimation about 10 years old but it doesn't actually tell you.
        He is at school and has recently moved to a new house with his parents and new baby sister who is sick and in and out of hospital. He didn't really want to move, he was happy at his old house with his friends close by. Now he is in a house that needs significant remodelling as the previous occupant was old and died there.
        His little area of salvation from the day-to-day trials and tribulations of being a child comes in the form of the outbuilding. This is almost derelict and his parents warn him it will collapse if he goes in, but children being children this only enhances his curiosity. In the corner is a noise "he" is there sat against the wall in a dusty suit eating spiders and dead bluebottles. Is it a person? Is it a figment of his childhood imagination? I have not figured out yet.

The chapters are short and concise which makes for easy reading, as does the language, I think the book is aimed at youngsters from about 10. That said the story is a fun and an enjoyable one which is light hearted and a quick read for adults too.

After finding “Skellig” as he is later found to be know Michael the little boy cant quite figure out if he is a figment of his imagination to begin with. Michael has had a lot to cope with for a young lad in the space of a short time. The move of house away from his friends, a longer journey alone to school, trying to help sort out the house, worrying about his parents and top of the list worrying about his baby sister and whether she will survive. So to have an imaginary friend would be acceptable some might say.
        It soon becomes clear though that Skellig is not imaginary and is real, but what he is, is another question. Michael realises that Skellig himself is not well he wants food and painkillers for his arthritis. These are things that Michael can provide and despite Skelligs initial denial at wanting help from Michael he does accept the offerings.

Michael at the same time discovers a new friend in Mina the girl along the road. She is an oddity to Michael. Not only because she’s a girl, but because she is home tutored by her mother and seems to know a lot about things like poetry and art, things that Michael discovers are quite interesting aside from his usual football.
        As the friendship between Michael and Mina grows, he introduces her to Skellig and together they find him a safer place to gather his strength on aspirin, takeaway leftovers, beer and dead animal bits.

There becomes a strong bond between the three and Michael confides his deepest fears to them about the baby dying. Mina helps Michael express himself more though art and nature whilst Skellig has an unusual power of his wings that have started to grow stronger from his back. Is Skellig an angel? Michael prays for the baby and wants her to grow strong. Skellig has an immense power about him, but is he able to make the baby better?

To find out you will have to read the book!

Published by Hodders Children’s Books in 1998

Available from around £2 - £8 online at places such as Amazon and good book stores in paperback, hardback and Kindle format. There is also a DVD.

• Trixie Lint Brush / Cat Accessory / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
        09.07.2015 21:31

• "cheap and easy to use"

• " unless your there for hours!"
        • "it will not remove all hair"

A great cheap item that works well and is essential for pet owners

When it comes to having immaculate clothes, by which I mean fur free, I am pretty much resigned to the fact I am in a no win situation!
        I have two big furry dogs, Siberian huskies to be exact, that moult a lot so there is always going to be dog hair somewhere, its guaranteed.

When I am off to work or going out somewhere nice, the dance of trying not to let them brush up against you and a quick dash for the door before I make my escape begins. So a lint brush is an essential piece of kit in my house.

***THE BRUSH ITSELF***

The lint brush is a basic brush shape, oval top with a long handle. This is not a particularly made to last product, it is obviously made in mass as the quality seems fairly basic to me. That said it does the job, is sturdy enough to last quite some time and is a cheap price. The dark grey plastic brush is quite sturdy and solid and is made in two haves so that the material can be placed between. There is a hole at the handle end so that you can hang it up if you wish, mine just goes in a drawer.
        The material brush part is not actually a brush, it is a red material that is quite matt and cut very short to give a tiny bristle effect if you run your hand over it.
        This appears on both sides of the brush base.

***USING THE BRUSH***

Using it is simple you just brush over the area of clothes or furniture you want to rid of fur/hair. It works better in a downward motion in my experience and the hairs are caught on the material. You do have to work against the tiny bristles of the brush or it doesn’t appear to work. This can be difficult to tell as they are so short but if you find it doesn’t work just brush in the opposite direction. Or more simply on my brush there is an arrow below the material on the plastic telling you which way to brush! I cant say whether this is on all lint brushes though.

***WHERE IT WORKS***

It works better on some fabrics than others, good on thick cotton things like hoodies (see picture) but a bit more difficult on thinner cotton t-shirts.
        Furniture wise better on carpets – ideal for niggling corners if you don’t want to drag the hoover out, more difficult on duvet covers.
        Generally I find the firmer, thicker the material the better it works. It works on the rest just takes a bit more time and effort.
        Its not perfect and wont remove all hair but it is good.

***REMOVING HAIR***

Removing the hair from the brush is easy just with a rubbing of the hand over it or a damp cloth works quite well to and is good to keep it clean and fresh.
        You may need to do this quite frequently as you acquire a surprising amount of hair from one item.

***PRICE & AVALIBILTY***

I bought mine in Wilkinson’s for £2.50 but you can buy these is various places and cheaply I have also seen them in Tesco for £2

I would certainly recommend for those with pets.

17.06.2015 14:25

• " fresh smell and bright"
        • zesty

• "bit expensive if at full price"

A bright, fresh smelling hand wash ideal for bathrooms or kitchens & includes tea tree

I use hand wash in our bathroom, as I generally prefer it to soap. I have no particular preference to brand or scent, I just go with whatever is on offer usually and takes my fancy.

Original Source is a brand that I do tend to like they are a company which is supported by the vegan and vegetarian society, the aromatherapy council, don’t test on animals and seem to use more natural ingredients than some others.
        They are part of the Cussons Company.

The first thing that attracts the customer to the hand wash is that it is bright green. This is one of the things I love about Original Source they are bright and the colours generally do match the fragrance they are selling. This fragrance is Mint (hence the green) and tea tree.

It does smell of mostly mint but you can also notice the hint of tea tree and they have apparently used 3,203 mint leaves to make my bottle. The smell is refreshing and awakens your senses so is perfect for the bathroom. Having the tea tree aids the product to have anti-bacterial properties, which is an added bonus in a hand wash.
        The mint gives a zingy feeling to your skin, they say it tingles and it does which is surprisingly nice and emphasizes the feeling of being clean. You get a lovely lather from just a small amount and it certainly cleans your hands of everyday grime with no issues. This is dispersed via a pump action top to the clear bottle. It is easy to disperse an adequate amount to use but I find I do need to run my hand under the nozzle to catch the last bit or it drips down the side. The clear bottle is of great benefit, as not only does it allow you to see the fantastic colour but also how much you have left. All is recyclable.

Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Polyquaternium-7, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, C11-115 Pareth-7, C11-15 Pareth-40, Benzotriazolyl Dodecyl p-Cresol, BHT, Limonene, CI 19140, CI 42090

The wash should be used within 12 months of first opening.

A bottle of 250mls is around £2.30 which is a bit more than many other hand washes but you can frequently find them on offer at half price in big stores like Tesco and Boots, this is when I buy a few bottles of various fragrances and stock pile!

Review maybe posted on other review sites under the same user name Siberian-queen©

12.06.2015 16:41

• "ends not bad"

• "slow to start"

its not one for me not exciting enough

Unhallowed Ground by Gillian White.

I picked up this book for just 50p from my GP surgery; they have second hand books for sale for charity.

On starting to read the first chapter it seemed like the book was going to be set in history of some 200 years ago. You are then introduced to Georgina the main character in the book set in present day. The first chapter makes comparisons between Georgina and Millie who is from 200 years ago.
        I have to admit that after reading the first chapter I was confused, I wondered whether to carry on reading, as it appeared it was possibly going to be something not for me. However I perceived and thankfully the book started to make more sense.
        Millie had lost a child, went mad and died. Georgina a social worker had a case where a child had died and although cleared of any wrongdoing, the press and herself still blame her.

Whilst this is occurring Georgina's brother dies. Georgina had never met him, he was a recluse apparently and left the family home before she was born, She never found out about him until she was at school. That said his pretty much derelict house is now hers and she decides this would be the perfect getaway from it all.
        I have to say the book proceeds to tell the story of Georgie doing up the cottage, meeting the strange neighbours which comprise of a mother and two farming sons who are two sandwiches short of a picnic, an grumpy old man and his downtrodden younger girlfriend and the posher older couple.
        Georgie has a few odd happenings in and around her cottage that take a sinister turn, ending up in murder. But who is the mystery person? Does it have anything to do with the odd occurrences? And who is the eventual murderer?

The story started off quite bizarre to me with the story of Millie and if I am honest I have no idea how it fits into the story or why it's there.
        The story starts to get a bit better when you get involved in the Georgina and Angie the girl who died, as it explains why Georgie goes to the cottage and decides to stay.
        For me though the story gets a bit boring I lost interest really until about the twenty chapter which is when the story heats up and the mystery becomes more dark and sinister happenings occur.
        The ending was ok it made sense about who was behind the sinister mystery but I would not have guessed it. What was disappointing though was that I didn't find out what happened to Oliver, Dave or whether Georgie stays or goes. It was left a bit unfinished.

Overall it was an ok book I am undecided as to whether to recommend as although I wouldn't read it again I can see it may appeal to some people.

RRP £5.99 published by Corgi books 1998

Review maybe posted on other review sites under the same username ©

10.06.2015 17:46

• " really foamy"
          • "lovely smell"

• "maybe price for some"

a great foamy wash that doubles as a shaving gel

I often tend to buy bath and shower gels when they are on offer. The Imperial Leather foam burst is something I have been wanting to try but thought was a bit pricey, so when I so it on offer I got one.

The product is advertised as a luxurious body wash, which is why I guess they charge a slightly higher price than many other bath and shower gels.
          The foam burst is made by Imperial Leather which seems to have moved away from the older person brand that it used to be and now provides much more fragrant smelling hand wash’s and shower gels than before, that said they still make and sell well, the traditional soap and talc.
          Imperial leather comes under the umbrella of the Cussons brand that has been around since the late 1800’s and is a worldwide manufacturer of bath type products; they have bought and sold many products over the years and in recent years bought out the Sanctuary products.
          So, one of the newer products is Foam burst bath wash. It comes in many fragrances but the one I chose was sweet vanilla and cherry blossom.

***THE PACKAGE***

The foam comes in a black aerosol can a resembling a shaving foam bottle, but has no lid. Having no lid it does mean it left out it can attract the dust to the top, especially if you forget to wipe the foam remains off. Ok if you use one product at a time, but I tend to have half a dozen different gels on the go at the same time. It is easy to clean and wipe over though but I recommend it goes in a cupboard if not using for a while.
          The black can is ideal as it shows up the bright colours the company use to portray the different smells, mine being pinks with a splash of gold, the gold representing the luxurious element.
          On the back of the can is the relevant information such as, ingredients, how to use, the fact that it is an aerosol so not to pierce, highly flammable and not to inhale in relation to solvent abuse.
          There are also two useful little circles, one telling you to expect 40 showers per bottle and the other saying you can use it as a shave gel.
          All in all I am impressed with the package.

***USING AS A SHOWER GEL***

One little squirt does go a long way like they say; in all about three squirts does my whole body. The smell is divine they have just the right amount of vanilla to cherry blossom in my opinion, it is quite sweet smelling so may not be to everyone’s liking. When you spray it comes out the same as a shaving gel, a pink gel that disperses into white bubbly foam before your eyes. You could be mistaken for thinking it was a shaving foam in a blind test.
          As soon as the foam hits the water or on your sponge etc. it gives the most amounts of thick lathery bubbles I have seen in a long time of a product. I am suitably impressed and although the smell wears off quite quickly I can see why they have marketed this as a luxury product, as it certainly feels like it. Very soft and soothing on the skin with a small amount of moisture.
          Rinses off well despite the mass amount of foam!

***USING AS A SHAVE FOAM***

I didn’t really believe it would be any good to be honest on reading the can and before using it.
          How surprised am I! It does remarkably well. It is just like a shave foam as I have previously said and I had no issues when I shaved my legs, no rash afterwards and its nice to have such a lovely smell with it.
          A great idea and perfect if you are going away as it does two jobs for the price of one.

I am sold. It is a lovely product that I will look out for and enjoy trying the different scents they have on offer.

***PRICE & AVALIBILTY***

Available in most supermarkets and chemists. Retails at £2.99 and if you can get it on offer (I got mine for £2) stock up!