tafdog01

Member since: 12.08.2009

User that trust you
      07.09.2009 15:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

yummy marshmallow bar , recommended to all

These are a tasty snack that has been around for a few years now. Originally they were aimed at the cereal bar target market; they came out about the time when people were deciding to eat a bar for breakfast instead of a bowl of cereal.
      Since this revelation rice krispie Squares seem to have been one of the few that have lasted the distance. I think this is due to their versatility as a snack that can be enjoyed as a alternative to breakfast or as a change to eating a chocolate bar. They are also a hit with children; I think this is as they are really sweet obviously down to the marshmallows!
      Taste wise from my point of view at least they are delicious. Toasted rice (better known as rice krispies!) covered in marshmallow is there a bad side here? They are nice and light when you are eating them but seem to fill you up at least as much as a regular snack e.g. chocolate bar. I guess if pushed I would say a disadvantage would be that they probably would get a bit sickly if you ate a lot of them!
      They are currently on off at ASDA I got a pack of 5 for £1 but generally they are not too badly priced about £1.50 ish. Calorie wise they shape up pretty well just 118 per 28g bar and only 3.5g of fat!
      They have also just brought out a chocolate and caramel version but I am yet to try them , I will probably review them next time they are on offer!
      All in all I think they are fab,. Handy for picnics etc and on sunny day's they don't melt in your handbag like your choccy bar will!

07.09.2009 14:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

good quality yoghurt try not to let price put you off!

These are relatively new yoghurt out on the market, so I thought it may be useful to review them. They are available in 2 different 'Double' flavours Strawberry and vanilla and Strawberry and Banana. I am reviewing the aforementioned as I am not a big banana fan!
        These are available in pots of four from Munch bunch, a name I have always trusted, and to be fair they didn't disappoint. The yoghurt is split one of top of each other so you have to delve in deep if you want a mixture of the two flavours, otherwise it's kind of like eating strawberry yoghurt and then a vanilla one! The flavours are similar to other yoghurts designed for kids quite mild and sweet.
        The good thing about these yoghurts is that they are great for kids who are learning to eat by themselves. My daughter is 18 months and she can manage these really easily as they have a thick consistency. They are also better than the average fromage frais / yoghurt out there as they are a little bit bigger so they serve as good transition yoghurt for toddlers, where normal yoghurts are still too big.
        I bought these on offer and they were two for £2.00 I think normally they retail for about £1.50 per four , which is a bit pricey but I'd say they are a high quality product so worth it .
        Useful to know:
        Cals - 115 per pot
        Fat - 2.7 g per pot

26.08.2009 19:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

Excellent book ,timeless

The tiger that came to tea is an excellent story book for young children, it has been described as a modern classic and I would whole heartedly agree with this. I think it's definitely from toddler to 6 year old anything past this age I think that the story is too basic and simple. This is exactly where the book excels for the younger generation however.

The story is about a little girl called Sophie and her mum who live in a house and whilst they are having afternoon tea a big furry stripey tiger comes knocking on their door! Of course mother invites the Tiger in for Tea, but he ends up eating all the food on the table, then the cupboard, then the pans off the stove! He then goes on to drink all the drinks and even all the water in the tap!

My little girls love this and they are 18 months and 34 months old , it involves the reader in the lives of Sophie and her mum , and introduces them to family life as the dad makes an appearance at the end ( to save the day I might add). It is a bit of an old fashioned family (originally came out in 1963) set up granted but kids love it as they like to put things in boxes.

I think the involvement of the tiger is the other thing that interests my two, the idea that a tiger could come to tea is very exciting and at this stage they are young enough to believe that it's a possibility! The book is written well, in simple language and the artist impressions in the book are excellent. The author Judith Kerr has also written the Mog series which I am yet to read but are very popular.

You can pick this book up on Amazon for £0.01p this is probably due to the fact it has been around so long there are millions of copies out there. It's also been adapted into a play which has been on at various venues this summer in the u.k. A highly recommended read for young children - would be an excellent present!

• Peperami Minis / Meat / Fish / 25 Readings / 25 Ratings
          26.08.2009 18:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

yummy not big enough for adults

I have tried the original peperami and loved it, so when I saw that they did a mini version I thought I'd give them a try. A peperami is 100% pork salami, they come in different types original, hot and mini's. There have been other versions over the years such as peperami in a roll (not good wished I hadn't tried that one!) but I think they have stuck with these winners now.
          The normal size peperami's are 25g compared to the mini's which are just 10g . Quite a difference. My plan was to take these to work as a snack, so on Monday I tried it. On Tuesday I took 3. To me it was pointless having bought the minis, they just didn't fill me up and I ended up eating the equivalent of a regular one - maybe I'm just greedy!
          They were definitely a hit with my kids though, my nephew and my eldest daughter loved them and they are probably suited more size wise too. My youngest daughter found them too strong tasting, she is used to normal salami which is a lot milder. You do have to watch the salt levels with the kids and the fat levels are really high (see at bottom).
          The outside packaging just a thin bag was ok but the mini foil packets are ingenious they keep the meat really fresh , they also have an additional plastic sleeving around them which is good for little hands as they can get quite greasy. The size and packaging makes these ideal picnic snacks, or snacks to hand out to the kids around the shops. One word of warning though they do stink once the packaging is open!

Per 100g
          Cal - 504
          Fat 44g
          Salt - 3.6g

• Car Boot Sales / Discussion / 20 Readings / 19 Ratings
            26.08.2009 18:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Fab day out cheap as chips!

Car boot sales, my family are split; I love them my husband can't stand them! It's actually a bit harsh to say he can't stand them because he likes selling at them, just not when I buy other peoples rubbish!
            To be fair I have quite a lot of experience at these sales now, both selling and buying. I will try and bestow on you years of accumulated wisdom!

Selling: If you are a first timer try to visit the venue the week before (these are usually advertised in local papers) and get a feel for what prices things go for. You do not want to overcharge or undercharge for an item both are counterproductive. If you undercharge for something the buyer will often buy virtually your whole store for nothing, and if they are another stall holder they will then go and put it on their stall for twice the price. This can be really galling and happened to me the first few times. If you overcharge you can scare people off!
            When you first get there quite often traders who do this sort of thing as their job will come over and start bombarding you with ' How much for this love ?' or 'Will you take a quid?' at this point it's easy to get overwhelmed and get pushed into letting something sell for nothing . If there's two of you one keep unpacking and the other sort out the traders, remember they want your stuff they'll have to wait.
            If you are with a partner try and talk before hand about what price you hope to get for each item and what you really just want to get shut of. This will avoid the 'You sold it for how much?' argument later on! If you are not sure on how to price something have a look on ebay and then knock a bit off the price about 20%-30%, and remember most people will try and knock you down.

Most tables these days are around £7 and most venues aren't too strict and will let you put a clothes rail by your table for that as well. Try and take plastic carriers with you for people to put their purchases in and be aware that you'll need change for when you first start off. I would also avoid sticking prices on your items this seems to put people off.
            As the day goes on you'll notice the crowds will ebb so adjust your prices accordingly if you don't want to go home with what you have got or if you don't have enough to do another car boot.

Buying: Recently venues have started to charge for entry to car boots, it's usually about 20p for adults or £1 per car so be prepared to pay. Also check out the start times as people often queue to be the first to the bargains so if your not that bothered leave it till 30 mins past opening and you 'll sail in .
            Make sure that you look high and low; quite often people miss bargains hanging on car boots or in boxes on the floor. Again as with the selling if you are after something specific then price it on ebay before you go to avoid overpaying. If something is too expensive and you really want it, try again at the end of the trip, it may have gone but if not an hour is a long time in car booting terms and they may be inclined to reduce it again.

Bargains
            Car boot sales really are worth it especially in these credit crunching times. People are more willing buy second hand and people are trying to sell to make some extra cash. Recently I've bought a Black and Decker strimmer rrp £40 for £3 in perfect order a bit dirty but that's all! I've also found a lot of books that people are selling for 20p 30p that are worth a lot more. My 2 best purchases were a child's book from the 1960's by a French author for 20p and it's worth approx £60! Not that I knew that at the time, I did however know it was worth more than 20p! A few weeks ago I bought a painting for £3 a print of Llandudno as I was staying with my mum and went to the car boot there. On closer inspection at home it was discovered it was the original and worth about £350! Obviously these are the best examples from 8 years of car booting -however last week my daughter picked up a Dora doll which I got her for £1 when I checked on Tesco website it was £25 all I did was wash it and shampoo her hair and it was good as new!

I realise car boots are not for everyone but I love them and if you are going to do one just to raise a bit of cash I hope my review has been useful to you.

• Nestle Aero Chunky / Chocolate / 12 Readings / 11 Ratings
              26.08.2009 18:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

satisfyingly minty

Nestle aero mint, claims on the front of the packaging to be the smoothest ever taste. I'm guessing it's comparing itself to previous mint Aero's not all food? However if comparing it too other chocolate there is smoother such as Galaxy chocolate and Lindt these too are definitely smoother. In fact if this wasn't written on the front of the packet I am not sure that I would associate smoothness with this bar at all.
              The bubbles create a bumpy texture if anything and the overriding flavour with this bar is mint not creamy chocolate. Being Nestle the chocolate is a bit darker than Cadbury's or Galaxy.

Value for money is pretty good compared to other bars though, because it weighs less you seem to get a bigger bar than a normal aero or maybe that's just clever marketing, I couldn't find a weight on either of them but judging by the calories it's in the region of 55g. I paid 55p which is quite cheap but quite often I see the bigger share size bars on offer in supermarkets for £1 so obviously this is much better value again.

What I do like about this bar is the fact that it's different. Most other bars have an equivalent but as far as I have looked Nestle are pretty much the only company that do this , there are no copy cat bars out there . It is a nice change from plain chocolate and as I don't like nuts it leaves my options rather closed. It's chocolate, chocolate Orange bar or mint aero.

The vital stats - be warned you ain't going to win any healthy eating contests with this one!
              Cal's per bar - 233
              Fat - 13.2g
              12% of GDA

Uh oh maybe I shouldn't have one that often!

• Gone Baby Gone (DVD) / DVD / 37 Readings / 35 Ratings
                24.08.2009 12:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

Ok film , only watch if no other decent alternative!

When deciding to watch this film on Saturday, the fact that it was Ben Affleck's directorial debut convinced me to give it a go. It's not that I am a great Affleck fan, in most cases I think he's mediocre but I like to have a nose at what a new director is capable of.

A brief outline of the film - The main character is Patrick Kenzie played by none other than Ben's little brother Casey! Along with his girlfriend Angie (Michelle Monaghan) they investigate missing persons in their area by talking and putting pressure on the neighbourhood and by being one of the locals they are able to infiltrate and get information where the police fail. A Young girl goes missing from her mum's and her auntie asks the two of them to assist the police who don't seem to be getting anywhere with the case i.e. no one saw or heard anything!

There is a twist in this film so I don't want to give too much away; I also find it hard to place this film in a particular genre. Crime drama is probably the best bet, but the best way I can describe the feel of it is that when something happened you just thought 'is that it?' I think it would have been better served with more action, I think Affleck has gone for the deep and meaningful but it somehow doesn't connect with the audience. This film was nominated for an Oscar but I am struggling to find out why?

For example Angie is moved by the missing girl and goes through all sorts of emotions in the film and it changes her life. I don't know if it was a poor performance or bad script or bad direction but I didn't find her pain realistic and as an audience member wasn't really bothered what happened .I also found her and ---- relationship very flat and unbelievable.
                Morgan Freeman isn't in the film much, but what you do see of him is his usual polished performance Ed Harris also puts in a good performance as the cop Remy who is in charge of the case.

Don't watch this film if you want a happy ending or want big thrills or action . I am not sorry I watched it but won't be bothering again.

• Clarks Doodles / Shoes / 56 Readings / 56 Ratings
                  20.08.2009 18:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Excellent purchase you won't be sorry

Doodles are a fun range from Clarks for young children aged approximately 1-6. Clarks are a global company that are well known for producing quality shoes. You just have to look on any impartial review site to know this, you would also find out they are not the cheapest, but then quality usually does come at a cost.

I started buying these for my little girl when she got to infant size 4 which is the first size the range is available in. There are lots of different styles in this range some wellies and slippers are included in this but most are variations on a canvas top with a buckle attachment and a rubber sole.

The canvas top means they are great for the summer months and for kids to use down at the beach or in the garden .Our two girls even used them at water parks abroad on the slides etc as they dry so quickly. The other advantage of using this shoe when they are really young is that it is not to heavy and enables them to get to grips with their walking.

The buckle is an excellent choice as it's any easy way for a child to fasten their own shoe from an early age. One big advantage of this shoe is that they come up as good as new when you chuck them in the washing machine (40 degree cycle). Eventually they do fade but only after a good few washes.

The canvas top boasts some pretty design for girls, mine had jelly fish on one and butterflies on the other but the boys ones I have seen have boats and cars on them so are a hit with the little ones.

Clarks will measure your childrens feet in length and width and fit them accordingly and all their shoes are designed to protect and support your little ones feet. They are also available in ½ sizes.

I think most parents agree that even in the middle of a credit crunch you can't cut corners when it comes to buying your kids shoes. I always buy Clarks shoes for them and quite often get them from the outlet stores at a cheaper price, I have generally paid about £10 or just under for a pair.

Summary - Brilliant buy for Boys and girls very hard wearing and brilliantly versatile

• Fisher Price Royal Potty / Baby Care / 35 Readings / 35 Ratings
                    20.08.2009 17:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

worth the cost , it'll save you in the long run

When potty training our youngest daughter we first went out and bought a small traditional potty from Mothercare for around £5. After trying to train her I began to realise that she found the potty uncomfortable as it was hard and also she looked really uncomfortable when she was crouching down to go. We also tried her with a seat on the toilet which she didn't like, due to the fact it would move easily when she sat on it. We decided to go potty hunting to see what we could get.

We decided on the fisher price royal potty, we paid £25 for it on the high street but you can get it cheaper on the internet. It is Royal blue and green so unisex and is basically a chair with a back and a removable pot - this also has a raised front so if you have boys is really useful. It is also really sturdy so there is no chance of it toppling - it also has rubber feet for added grip.

It basically works by rewarding the child with music when they sit down and then an elaborate Royal tune when they go (you need 3 AA batteries for the music) my daughter she enjoyed the music, however I do think the fact that the chair was comfortable and that she could sit on there, while she was getting used to it all helped. When they are ready to progress to the normal toilet the legs can be removed and it fits to the seat - still playing the music if necessary.

£25 seems a lot to pay for a potty but we wished that we had bought this one first, the more you speak to parents the more you realise that they have had the same problems and bought a similar potty to this. £25 will soon be saved on nappies not being bought.

20.08.2009 16:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

good buy does nearly what it says on the tin/can

Sure crystal claims that it is unbeatable against white marks. This is one of the things that really irritate me about deodorant so I thought I would try it out. I tend to notice white marks more on dark tops so in the name of research set about wearing these more often.
                      The results so far after using it for about a month is that it is the best I have used for reducing white marks but you still do get them. It makes a big deal on the front about the fact that it has clearex but doesn't actually say what that does so you have to presume that this is the magic ingredient that helps prevent the white marks

The scent Clear Aqua is fresh quite neutral smell bordering on the type you get with shower gels called things like sea breeze or ocean wave! It is also ph balance which is great if you have sensitive skin like I do. The packaging is pretty ordinary; they've gone for a crisp white and navy blue contrast with the usual blue tick. The nozzle is your pretty much standard spray can one nothing special.

Finally since this is a review for anti perspirant I better say whether it actually does its first and foremost job! Yes it does stop you perspiring, on a day to day basis. When I have used this when playing sport or running it is quite effective to, you can still smell semi fresh after a 30 minute run!

Price wise it's not too expensive about £ 1.90 and this lasted me about a month, obviously depends how often you spray! Availability - pretty much from everywhere being a leading brand. Worth the Money? If you are really bothered about marks then yes but there are cheaper brands that do as good a job of keeping you smelling nice.

• Good Luck Chuck (DVD) / DVD / 20 Readings / 17 Ratings
                      20.08.2009 13:22

Advantages

Disadvantages

ok if you can borrow it , don't buy it though

This is the second time that I have tried to watch this film, I actually got to the end this time! The first time I was bored after about 15 minutes but my husband convinced me to give it another go.
                      I think the main thing that put me off was that after the first 10 minutes you know what's going to happen and how the whole film will pan out. Chuck (Dane Cook )is a good luck charm , basically once a girl breaks up with him the next person they date they end up falling in love with . This is down to a curse put on him when he was a kid playing spin the bottle.
                      All really unbelievable and the acting is shaky at best, so what kept me watching? Chuck's best friend in the movie Stu played by Dan fogler and for me he kept the film going! He is a plastic surgeon who enjoys his job giving women breast implants a little too much.
                      Jessica Alba as Cam is also quite funny and her physical comedy did make me laugh as an accident prone penguin carer , but it all got a bit samey towards the end . It was a similar genre as Knocked up and The wedding crashers but none of it was executed as well.
                      All in all ok watch depending on your mood - if you get a better offer take it, if not watch it, it's mildly entertaining.

• 27 Dresses (DVD) / DVD / 17 Readings / 15 Ratings
                        20.08.2009 13:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Save it for a rainy day

This is definitely a chick flick; half way through my husband fell asleep! Although he did ask me this morning what happened at the end so it couldn't have been that boring!
                        Catherine Heigl is Jane a personal assistant to George a high flyer who she is completely besotted with. George is unaware of her feelings and just sees her as the perfect secretary. Jane has another love - weddings. She has been a bridesmaid 27 times and has little intention of stopping there.
                        This is where we meet struggling newspaper columnist Kevin played by James Marsden. He decides to do a story on Jane unknown to her about her addiction to weddings. I won't say anymore I don't want to spoil the story to much.
                        It's a decent Romcom the characters are believable if not a little eccentric and contrived. Heigl plays her part brilliantly, I actually think she's developing into a good comedic actress she reminds me a bit of Cameron Diaz in her earlier roles. They have tried to make her into a 'Plain Jane' in the film but it doesn't really work as she still looks stunning throughout. Marsden is good too, but the role is not exactly stretching his acting skills too much.
                        It's worth a watch, I enjoyed it, definitely easy watching best saved for when you can't be bothered and there's nothing decent on the Telly.

18.08.2009 21:03

Advantages

Disadvantages

healthy yummy cheap- must be good

This is an excellent low fat snack. I have been on and off this product for years and at the moment am definitely on. It's not awe inspiring, it's the type of product that you pick up and say 'ahhh yeah I haven't had this for ages' or 'I forgot how nice this was!' It retails in the region of 80p for a loaf and is suitable for all you veggies out there.
                        It's a fruity malt loaf with raisins that can be cut up and eaten as it is or some people like to butter it (I am one of those!). I have also heard rumours though can't confirm this, that if you put a couple of slices under the grill for about 30 seconds it will melt and become a bit gooey and toffee like.
                        It is a really good snack to have if you are on a diet it is only 86 calories and 0.6 grams of fat per 1/8th of a loaf about 2 small slices .That's pretty good though as it's quite filling and the raisins make it quite sweet to satisfy your sweet tooth hunger.
                        Being healthy it is a good lunch box snack for the kids especially with these tough school rules on what they are allowed. It would be handy if these came in individual 2 slice servings for lunch boxes not sure this exists, I know there is a presliced version, but that's just lazy! My kids did take a couple of tries before they liked it but I think that's due to its appearance as it's not the most attractive looking food!
                        My summary - nice healthy snack that won't break the bank!

18.08.2009 20:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good healthy product

Here is a neat compact little drink that provides one of your 5 a day portions of fruit. These 250 ml bottles are ideal for lunch boxes, picnics or if you're out shopping with the kids. They are a healthier option than most kid's drinks each little bottle provides a full day's worth of vitamin c. When put into context I think 99% of people would prefer to drink one of these than take a vitamin c tablet and it's a good way for Kids to get their vitamins without them even realising it
                          . Another good tip is to freeze them in ice lollies moulds in the hot weather a much healthier way to enjoy ice lollies than the supermarket ones that are laden with sugar.
                          I even water it down for my youngest whose 18 months as it's a bit strong on it's own and she adores it.
                          It is available in MacDonald's with the happy meals so is a good healthy alternative to a milkshake or lemonade. It also contains 100% juice with nothing added or taken away which I find reassuring as you are never sure with juices unless this is stated clearly what ends up in them .
                          Calories per 250ml are 108 with no grams of fat.

They are a healthy refreshing way to get some goodness in you, (I particularly like them for breakfast) enjoyable anytime of day. Just remember to try and get your kids to drink these through a straw as with any pure orange the one big disadvantage is the damage they can do to your teeth.

• Cadbury Chomp / Chocolate / 19 Readings / 19 Ratings
                            18.08.2009 20:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

Cheap tasty choccy bar

These are milk chocolate bars with a chewy caramel centre. The packaging is an attractive red foil with modern yellow lettering .The only down side to the packaging is that sometimes the toffee sticks to the inside of the packet making it a bit difficult to open. It is clearly aimed at children and retails for 15p. This is presumably considered a pocket money treat, although most kids these days have more available cash than the average adult!
                            Still these have been around for a while; they started out at 10p when I was a teenager so a 5p increase in 10 years isn't too bad. They have probably diminished in size over this time but I have nothing to back up this statement, it just seems like everything had shrunk since I was a kid!
                            The milk chocolate is Cadbury's so straight away we know its quality, and the chewy toffee is creamy and delicious, everything you would expect from a Cadbury product. The best way to describe the taste is it's like an inside out éclair.
                            They are good little snacks for when you just want a bit of chocolate about ½ an hour before you eat, or to stretch the kids out when they're moaning they're hungry every five minutes.
                            Stats wise 460 calories per 100g and 19.9g of fat so not the healthiest choice but lets face it , its not going to be its full of sugar !