teafan11

• Comments

Member since: 20.02.2012

User that trust you
      16.05.2014 22:21

Advantages

• "cheap and fun."

Disadvantages

• "not ideal for heavy work or garden."

Nice little item.

Glitzy and blingy dustpan and brush.

This is a nice little bit of glam for your kitchen, at a super price. No kitchen can be without the trusted old dustpan and brush, having animals and kids it seems my life's work is following around sweeping up messes...lol! I purchased mine from pound land (this shop is ideal for all the little nick knacks for a kitchen) and to be honest wasn't expecting amazing things, at the end of the day it's a simple cheap dustpan and brush, the pan itself is made of black plastic and has a bright cerise pink rubber edge on the pan which helps to prevent dust sliding under the pan which it did help a little but did allow some bits through. The pan has no glitz on it but is quite striking with the contrast of the black and the very bright pink. The brush again is black but has a decoration of pink gems(obviously fake!!!) lol.

The item is quite cheaply made and the pan seems a little thin and flexible and the brush is although hard not brilliant it does take a few brushes to collect all of the dust but I am very pleased with it. Ideally the brush could be bigger with longer bristles but does fine, the whole item is quite compact at about 30cmx23cm8cm which makes storage a little easier and the brush clips into the pan and both have a hole on the end of the handle for hanging up. I have used mine on all sorts of surface from carpet to lino and even the garden and always found it to be sufficient, however it does struggle a little with cut grass but I found all cheap ones have the same problem and have since purchased and wooden and metal one for the garden but taking all things into consideration this has been a great buy. It does what it needs to do and at an exceptional price with a little bit of glam into the bargain, what more can you ask for??

My niece loves to play with it when she comes round and spends ages dust panning my garden...lol! I was considering buying her a toy cleaning set for her birthday but may have to include her own little blinggy set.
      Overall I'm happy with my little bargain and would recommend the item to anyone needing a new dustpan and brush but would caution you against buying one for the purpose of gardening where it failed a little on performance.

11.07.2013 21:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

A pastry brush that is only okay.

Kitchen Craft Colour works Silicone Pastry Brush.

I've had this now for quite some time and remember buying it from cargo but I can't quite recall how much I paid for it but have seen in Amazon for £3.95 which is a fairly good price in my opinion.
      I have used this for buttering cake pans and basting meats etc. I have used it on the barbeque and it had adequately done its job. However I recently basted a frying pan wanting a thin layer of olive oil to coat the pan, and forgetting to use my wooden handled one picked this if and unfortunately singed the ends and this has lowered my opinion of the product somewhat. Often people require a hot pan and to be able to baste it thinly, and this product just didn't do it.

For other uses like cake pans and basting the top of meat this product is fab, and I am considering replacing it because the bristled option does lose hairs and this can become frustrating . The product is completely made of a firm rather hard rubbery plastic and the handle if a very comfortable grip and its nice and sturdy in your hand and it is heat resistant so you can be confident you won't get burned. The product comes in a huge array of colour, I have the red one which is nice and bright and a very attractive addition to a kitchen.
      There is a huge range in the colour works collection and it's a fairly priced range which means colour matching your kitchen is simpler. The colour range is massive and they are all very bright colours, they include purple, blue and pink to name but a few.

To me this is not a universal pastry brush like the wooden ones that are widely available on the market, but for a very basic pastry brush which simply bastes pies and cake pans this is admirable, and as previously stated it worked perfectly on the barbeque to baste the chicken and burger and the like with sauce.
      Another great thing about this product is the fact that cleaning is remarkably easy, much simpler than the more traditional pastry brushes which I have found to be difficult in the past. For those of you lucky enough to have a dishwasher this product is dishwasher proof making cleaning even simpler.

For avant cooks this product is okay at best, I would personally prefer the more traditional brushes and although it is a handy item to have in the cutlery drawer for the more basic jobs for ht pans it is a no no.
      Overall an okay product for baking, but not the best in my opinion.

11.07.2013 15:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

One of the best outdoor toys we own, and we own alot.

My oldest son had a tunnel tube when he was small, he had an amazing amount of fun with it and it only seemed right that I bought one for my youngest. The tube is made of wipe able fabric that has metal concertinaed into it to allow it to fold down for easy storage. The tube is approximately four foot long and is about a foot and a half in diameter. It is obviously designed for younger children and collapses very easily under pressure so we have had a few tears when a cousin landed on top whilst my little one was crawling throw. This however is inevitable as my boys are so boisterous that not a day goes by without at least one bump or scrape. The tunnel though bounces back into shape quickly and is not adversely affected which makes it in my eyes very hardy and it has been tested by not only my kids but numerous friends and relatives. This is often the first toy that is got out at barbeques and although we do have permanent garden toys out like a trampoline, slide, scooter and cars and trikes this still seems to be the toy that is fought over. Why do kids all want to play with the same toy at the same time regardless of the number of toys available....grrr!

There are additions you can purchase for this including a ball pit and tepee tent which very easily connect to either end of the tube. You can make a huge assault course by buying additional tubes and tents.
      The tube is in bright colours which my son loves and he constantly asks to have it out. My oldest sons tube did start to wear along the wire so I am vigilant in regard to the ends as my oldest did scratch himself quite badly on his prior to it being thrown out. My oldest son is disappointed that he is no longer able to play with this and does try and join in the game chasing my little one around the tube and attempting to chase him throw.

The tube is great quality and both my sons have had a great deal of joy from these tubes. They encourage exercise and make the garden a lot more interesting to play in. The last tube we had lasted a good few years and was only thrown because of the exposed wire that had come throw the frayed fabric but he used it almost daily and it was often put up in the house during the winter months, so we certainly got our money's worth.

I says it is designed for two and over but my nephew who is only eight months old enjoys crawling throw it and touching the sides with us touching his hand throw the fabric, he stops and laughs as travels through it...its sooo cute..lol!

The tub folds up and is buttoned shut for easy storage, which is ideal because we have so many outdoor toys and games that storage can become an issue. This is a popular toy in our house and is very versatile, I have taken it on picnics and to the beach because it collapses flat and transports very easily. The only thing I would say is that it is very lightweight and although this is a benefit for transporting and storage can become a problem when used in windy conditions.

Definitely worth the money...I recall paying around £9.99 for mine but it now retails for £12.21 in Amazon and £9.99 in Argos for the tube with small port hole type windows along the side. I have noticed that Argos has a pink option and also for £24.99 you can purchase the tube and two additional tents as a set. My tube however is solid fabric with no windows. My kids spend a lot of time outside and this was a great buy.

10.07.2013 16:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great addition to any kitchen with endless uses and versatility.

Just recently Tesco had on an offer where for every twenty pound that you spent you received a sticker and upon collecting five you could buy an item from a selection of Pyrex dishes. I had all my family collecting the stickers for me and was actually able to get the entire collection of dishes. I was so happy and I got them for a fraction of the price, however I can't quite recall the exact cost but they retail up to around £15.00 dependant on size. The dish I am reviewing no is the 2.6l capacity dish and is retailing on Amazon for about £8.35 but the lid on the one on Amazon website is white.

The lid on my dish is actually bright red which appeals to me on an aesthetic level and is made of a sturdy semi flexible plastic. The base is made of the famous thick Pyrex transparent glass. The size of this dish is 25x20 cm but the range offers a huge array of shapes and sizes.

The claim of this dish is that it is a 4 in 1 being microwavable, oven, freezer and fridge proof. I have made many item in this dish since I have bought it and have made and frozen lasagne in it with great results. I was able to allow the lasagne to cool in the dish it was baked in then simply pop it into the freezer . This is ideal because you don't need to transfer it between dishes for oven and freezing and then reheating which makes less washing up. I have also made cottage pie, cobbler and casseroles' and in the smaller ones dips and yoghurts. There is a pudding basin dish included in this collection which is ideal for suet puddings and soups. The depth of the dish is perfect of deep dish pies and lasagnes its depth is approximately 10cm. The dish is also dishwasher proof for those of you with that luxury.

Obviously it goes without saying that there is a risk of shattering should you place a hot dish on a cold surface or vice versa. Pyrex is a household name and has been for many years and have always been considered by my family a great quality product and I'm so pleased that I was able to expand my Pyrex selection.

The uses for these dishes are endless, I store prepared salad in the fridge and the lid, that seals wonderfully keeps the salad fresh and crisp. Also for storage of baked goods, however if your children tend to help themselves to cakes I would maybe rethink this option because for one the item is quite heavy and would most definitely hurt if dropped and also there is the obvious risk of smashing.

The overall quality is what you would expect from Pyrex, unlike some other branded items on the market, Pyrex has stuck with the principles of good quality, reasonably priced. Not many products can claim the same in my opinion. If like me you enjoy cooking and baking but tend to do it in bulk these are perfect to help with the preservation and storage. They save you money by allowing you to freeze left over's easier and therefore there is less wastage. I have also used these to preserve vegetables and fruit from my garden. These are perfect for my house and I can't wait to be able to add more to my collection. They are extremely versatile and practical and also come with a 10 year guarantee so clearly Pyrex are confident in their product to make such a claim. I'm sure mine will still be as useful and in as good a condition in 10 years that is as long as they are not dropped by my somewhat clumsy boys...lol!

I would highly recommend these dishes and they are a must for any kitchen.

09.07.2013 16:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

A cheap cotton bud which is both good quality and versatile.

Tesco Loves Baby Cotton buds.

These are the one item that I always seem to forget to buy at the shops. Then you go to get one and they are gone. Infuriating, isn't it!

My youngest son frequently gets glue ear and has wax in the entrance to his ear so I often have to use cotton buds to gently wipe the wax away from the outer ear. Do not use the cotton buds in the ear canal because it can cause hearing problems and perforate the ear drum, not something that is advisable.

I also use these to help remove makeup and to clean around difficult parts of my taps. I dip them in vinegar and gently wipe around the base of the taps. It works really well. They are also handy to apply clove oil to tooth ache because it's easier to focus the application onto the required area.

I hate to see dirty ears and noses when an easy little wipe can make it all nice and clean. The cotton buds are basically a small plastic stick with a small "bud" of cotton wool on either end. It is about 10cm long. They come in a semi transparent plastic tub which has a lid which is ideal for the storage of the cotton buds and you can also buy refills for the tub which is fantastic, you get 100 in the tub for around 39p and the refill come in a bag which has a drawstring and contains 300 for 80p, this is far cheaper than many other brands on the market.

They are made from 100% cotton and the container is reusable and recyclable which is great.

I have been buying these now for some time and to be honest they are as good as any other cotton bud on the market. They have a fairly strong stick which does bend too easily and the bud stays in place and doesn't slide off. The bud is firm and stays firm unlike some other cotton buds where the bud comes off and the plastic stick then scratches.

Overall I would recommend as they do what they are designed to do and are of a fair quality at a very reasonable price.

08.07.2013 19:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great professional result.

Tresemme Smooth Salon Silk Shampoo with Vitamin H & Silk Proteins.

I have been using this shampoo for quite some time now and use it alongside the salon silk conditioner. There are two sizes available 500ml which costs around £3.50 and the 900ml which I opt for which usually costs between 4-5 pounds. However I do tend to wait for the offers to come up, and they come up frequently, in order to stock up. I usually buy mine from Tesco when on offer but know that they are sold in most large supermarkets and beauty stores. Although the price seems steep I consider it too be great value as many professional hair products come I at a great deal more. This shampoo does a great job at smoothing my hair and my hair feels clean and soft and smells wonderful. The shampoo lathers really well meaning you don't need to use a huge amount of the liquid in order to reap the benefits.

It contains vitamin H and almond oil which moisturize and ensure the health of your hair. It also claims to help ease frizz prone hair, and I have found this to be a completely true statement. My hair feels soft and fresh and easy to style especially after using the complementing conditioner. My hair feels like I have just stepped out of a hair salon with forking out the 30 odd pounds. I also found that it does not take the colour out of my hair but seems to enhance it with a beautiful shine.

The bottle is made of black plastic which is approximately 25cm tall and 10cm in diameter, with a small snap top for easy use, the only small problem is that you cannot see the contents of the bottle to gauge how much is left. The bottle and cap are fully recyclable.

The liquid itself is a thick white solutions which is perfect and is easy to massage into my hair. It washes out simply leaving your hair feeling amazing.

The ingredients are Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil , Biotin , Ascorbic Acid , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Ammonium Chloride , Sodium Cocoyl Isethiocate , Sodium Lauroamphoacetate , Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate , Niacinamide , Dicaprylyl Ether , Lauryl Alcohol , Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Dipropylene Glycol , Glycol Distearate , Laureth-7 , Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone , Quaternium-80 , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Xylene Sulfonate , Sodium Cocoamphoacetate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Polysorbate 20 , Propylene Glycol , Disodium EDTA , Citric Acid , Hexylene Glycol , Triethanolamine , Methylchlorioisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Butylphenyl Methyl Propional , Geraniol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Linalool , Parfum (Fragrance) .

This is produced by unilever which is well trusted and known name. Overall I highly recommend this product even though the price is high it's well worth it as I only use about one bottle every 6 weeks and it give professional results which helps my rather difficult hair. The shampoo is suitable for daily use but I find leaving it two days is not a problem and my hair still feels great. This shampoo is definitely worth a try but I recommend waiting to find the offers which can save you as much as a third, which make the value of the product even better.

08.07.2013 14:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product that is well worth the price.

Tresemme Salon Silk Conditioner.

As many of you who have read my other reviews probably know I do like to use the tresemme profession line of products. I have been using a vast range of these products for a long time now and have always been very impressed. I have used most of the tresemme conditioners and have found this to be the best for my hair which is very thick and heavy. I use this along with the smooth shampoo and find it gives absolutely fantastic results. My hair feels wonderfully soft and smooth and has a wonderful shine to it.

I purchase the 900ml bottle but I do believe there is a smaller option available. The bottle is about 25cm tall and 10cm in diameter, these are estimates as I have not actually measured the bottle. It is a white semi transparent bottle which means you can see as the product depletes, and has a small black lid which has a snap top which means you can easily squeeze out the required about and don't need to fiddle with unscrewing lids when you're in the shower. The bottle and cap are all recyclable which is fantastic.
        The product is made by unilever who are a very well known and trusted company. The conditioner is designed deeply moisturize your hair and to help calm down and weigh down frizzy hair. Although my hair is thick I do have problems with a certain about of frizz and this conditioner works great. It contains Argan oil from morocco which is nourishing and smoothing. The product contains vitamin H and silk proteins that help to tame and gives a fantastically smooth finish.

I wash my hair as normal and then place a liberal amount on to my hair and massage into the roots and into the ends. I then leave it for about ten minutes or sometimes longer, the product states 2-3 minutes but I prefer to keep it in more for a deeper condition. After rinsing my hair feels absolutely fantastic and soft and is so much easier to style. It ideal for daily use and does not dry out my hair at all. The scent is sweet and is lovely and my hair smells clean and fresh and the scent stays in my hair for days.

The ingredient are Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Cyclopentasiloxane , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Dimethicone , Cyclohexasiloxane , Panthenol , Ascorbic Acid , Niacinamide , Biotin , Tocopheryl Acetate , Quaternium-18 , Isostearamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate , PEG-9 , Polysorbate 20 , Aspartic Acid , Disodium EDTA , Citric Acid , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Limonene , Linalool , Hexyl Cinnamal , Parfum (Fragrance) .

I buy mine in Tesco generally when it is on offer as it quite expensive at around the £5 mark, but Tesco frequently do offers on the whole tresemme range reducing the cost usually by about a third. Although this product is very expensive, compared to other profession hair care products on the market they are very reasonably priced and in my opinion well worth the extra cost, but I recommend waiting for offers in order to stock up and save money. My huge bottle lasts me over a month and I use it maybe four to five time a week which makes it quite good value for money when taking all things into account. The product is widely available in most supermarkets and beauty stores.

Don't be put off by what hairdresser say about the tresemme range as I would highly recommend them and have always found them to be a fantastic range of products.

• La Riche Directions / Hair Care / 43 Readings / 41 Ratings
          07.07.2013 17:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great choice of brightly coloured dyes for when you need a change.

La Riche Directions hair dye.

I'm usually the sort of person who sticks to what she knows and trusts, however a few months back I was wanting to re-dye my hair. I usually opt for the dark brown colours like chocolate and mochas, but was wanting to do something different. my friends was thinking the same but has always been far more adventurous than me when it comes to her hair. She changes her hair colour weekly and very rarely is "boring".

She recommended to me directions hair dye and took me to an alternative shop in town, there was a board inside with hair samples attached similar to the ones in hair dressers. This however had a much brighter selection of colours, the choices were amazing, however I opted for the rose red.

The tub is a small 88ml and is 1 inch diameter and aprox an inch and a half deep the lid is white and the tub itself is transparent. The dye was a deep red, it looked rather dangerous to me...lol!
          My friend already had the peroxide and brushes so I was saved the cost of these. The pot cost me £5 which I thought was an exceptionally good price considering. However it was even better than I had hoped, I only coloured a band of hair and this didn't seem to use hardly any dye at all. Although if you were doing a whole head of long head I would expect to use the lot.

My friend is a little more skilled than I so I left it to her to bleach my hair using the peroxide blue powder which although I didn't purchase have seen on Amazon for about £10 but this if for a litre of solution and the blue powder and would easily last at least 20 applications. Although you only need to bleach on the first application and haven't needed to re bleach yet. After dying I towel dried the hair and put on the dye using a tint brush. I found it easier to put a little of the dye into a dye pot which was easier for the brush to fit into but this is not altogether necessary as the brush does fit okay. I didn't use a huge amount at first choosing to add it gradually. I left the colour in for around fifteen minutes although was panicking somewhat as it seemed brighter than I was expecting.

Once I had washed it out so that the water ran clear I dried it with a hairdryer and my hair was an amazing pink/purple colour that was most definitely different and I loved it.

I have since tried several colours and have been very impressed with the outcome and the fact my hair comes out wonderful soft after dying.

Just a note to say that I have found that the darker the colour appears in the pot the more vibrant the end result is.

The colour lasted about 6 washes in my hair but you may find it lasts longer or shorter than this, my hair just isn't that porous as it is only a semi permanent colour which makes it perfect for a quick change. The colour range is too extensive to list but there is bound to be a colour you will like or you could create your own. I have since tried turquoise which came out amazing and violet which wasn't as bright as I would have hoped and it seemed more subtle which is great if you want a more subtle colour.

The other great thing about these is that you can mix the colours to create your own vibrant colours that's even more unique. I have been told that mixing the dye with condition before application makes the dye go further making it great value for money.

This product does say that it does not contain nuts but cannot 100% confirm, and is vegan friendly to the best of their knowledge according to La Riche. This product is not tested on animals and the tub is recyclable after washing thoroughly.

I buy these at a local alternative store but they are available on Amazon for around the same price or cheaper if you buy more than one.

07.07.2013 14:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product that works perfectly.

Tresemme Extra Hold Hairspray.

I have used this hairspray for as long as I can remember and have always found it to be absolutely fantastic. I also like the scent which is always a bonus. The fragrance is a fresh and clean smell and is not as overpowering as some other products on the market. I have recently been to the hairdresser and the topic of hair products arose, the hairdresser didn't rate the tresemme range, even going so far as to say it isn't very good for your hair. I however do not agree, I really like and rate the whole tresemme range and although the products are fairly highly priced in comparison to regular hair products on the market, I do prefer to purchase them. They are considered to be a profession range of products and compared to other professional hair products on the market they are not really too expensive and the results are worth the price tag.

I do have very thick heavy hair and styling can be a challenge but this hairspray holds my hair in place regardless of the style I'm also impressed by the length of time the style holds in place when using this product. The product claims to hold for 24 hours and have climate and humidity resistance, but obviously depending on how elaborate the style and hair type, my hair remains in place and neat for eight plus hours which is fantastic for days and evenings out. The product does not leave your hair sticky and can be brushed when dry to enhance the style. If used on damp hair it does make the hair go quite stiff but is easily brushed out. The product does not make my hair dry or greasy and the following day after a brush my hair could easily be restyled without the need to wash out the previous days product because my hair still feels soft and clean. Many products I have used leave a horrible residue in my hair and this product does not. The hairspray is also quick drying making styling easier and the product is more practical.

I try and purchase the product when they are special offer and too be honest the offers are very good...quite often 2 for £5, which is great. The hairspray I buy I 500ml large can and usually retails from £4-£5 depending on where to purchase it. The product is widely available in most supermarkets however I tend to buy mine most frequently from Tesco or Wilkinson's just purely for practicality for me.

I have used this for many styles and have always been extremely impressed and would definitely recommend.

The tresemme hair styling range has three levels of hold firm, extra and freeze, and this come in as extra so mid range, but should you require a different level the options are there.
            The ingredients are Alcohol Denat. , Butane , Isobutane , Propane , Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer , Vinyl Caprolactam/VP/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer , Benzophenone-4 , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Aminomethyl Propanol , Aqua (Water) , Geraniol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citronellol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Linalool , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Parfum (Fragrance) .

The can is about 25cm tall and made of black steel with fuchsia pink and white writing on it and the can is recyclable which I always think is an added bonus. The can is flammable so I wouldn't keep it near an open flame or on a window ledge in direct sunlight.

Definitely worth a try and I do rate it highly even if the price is a little steep for me as I am usually very frugal.

06.07.2013 13:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

A tight, subtle grip that holds my hair in place perfectly.

Boots Essentials Brown Hair Grips.

I have long thick hair and often have trouble keeping my hair in place because it is quite heavy. I always have a stash of hair grips in my hair supplies drawer because I am constantly needing them, and they can become quite elusive to find, I lose so many.

Whenever I go into town I always buy a few packs usually from cheap beauty stores or even pound land. However the other day I was in boots, I don't usually go in there but thought as I was without the kids, which doesn't happen all that often, I would have a wander around. I saw these and decided I would buy a pack. they are a little more expensive than I usually pay as they cost around £1.50 for about thirty grips, I usually pay about £1 for 100. They are brown metal grips with plastic bobbles on the end of the metal that both stops the grip from hurting you while being put into your hair, they also help the grip to slide smoothly into place.

The grips are fairly tight which is good as I have found that often the cheaper ones can loosen after a few uses. The fact that these are brown is great because I have dark brown hair and they subtly and discretely keep your hair in place. The ones I usually purchase are black and are slightly more obvious in my hair.
              You can create an amazing amount of hair styles using the grips, I generally use it to hold in place loose pieces of hair when my hair is in a pony tail, but have used grips to create buns and fancy hair twists for evenings out. They are strong and hold the hair in place with ease and comfort. They also hold your hair in place in order to use hairspray and can be removed when hair is dry.

I found these grips to be very good and far better than the cheaper options that I usually buy and will be my grip of choice from now on. They are strong and discrete and it's what a grip needs to do. they are very good value for money and well worth a try.

05.07.2013 20:24

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lovely basic scooter for beginners.

Ozbozz Nebulus Folding Scooter.

My son has just turned three, he has had a little three wheeled scooter for some time but always preferred to uses his brothers jd bug which I a two wheeled scooter. He kept saying that his one was not fast enough and he did become quite frustrated with it. I stared to look round for a suitable replacement suitable for his age range but they all seemed to be three wheels. So as my son appeared competent riding on his older brothers two wheeled scooter started looking for a cheap option for a slightly older age group.

I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on one like I had for his brother as I knew his would be thrown around more, and frankly he was not going to be do stunts on it, well hopefully anyway.
              We looked around for a few weeks and discovered one of the nebulus scooters in Halfords of all places. It was priced very reasonably at £9.99 or there about.

The scooter comes folded and in a box about 60x30x30 and weighs around 3-3.5 kg , however I have thrown the box away so the dimensions could be wrong, but it wasn't huge and I was easily able to carry it home. The scooter is folded flat with the handles also unclipped and folded. The assembly is incredibly easy the handle are clipped in with small ball bearing type button. the scooter is easily unfolded using a simple locking mechanism. The handle height is easily adjustable using a clip grip to a maximum of I think around four foot(not had it completely open) and a minimum of around two foot give or take. the front wheels lock so they cannot spin 360 degrees making it safer for younger less experienced riders. If however you are wanting to do stunts like my older son does this scooter is not suitable because of the spin ratio on the handle bars. The wheels are replaceable if they get worn out but to be honest the price of wheels is around the price of the scooter so in reality you could be better off replacing the scooter as a whole. The handle grips are made of a blue spongy material which helps to keep the grip and is the perfect size for my little one. This again are replaceable. The good thing about this scooter is that is foldable which makes it easy to transport and store, also for when you got to the shops and need it folded to go into the trolley. The base plate or deck board has grip tape attached with the nebulus symbol emblazoned on it, this is sufficient to keep from slipping.

This scooter has been thrown pushed knocked and ridden, even by adults thinking they are still kids, and it is still in great condition. my son uses this daily and has requested we take it on holiday with us so it is a definite hit. My older son was less impressed thinking it was far too simple and basic for his use, which is good because it means he won't be "borrowing" it.

The scooter is designed for five to ten year olds but my three year old is using it with ease, he wants to be like his brother...lol! word of warning this scooter hurts ankles when hit...lol!

I definitely recommend this scooter for a no frills option for younger users or beginners.

• Poundland Mega Bubbles / Outdoor Toy / 30 Readings / 28 Ratings
                05.07.2013 13:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Another bargain from poundland.

pound land bubbles.

My kids have countless toys that require bubble liquid, to many to mention, and generally speaking I purchase the bubble liquid refills from Tesco but recently I have discovered this in pound land and thought I would give it a try. At only a pound I had nothing to lose.

The bubbles come in a large, bright yellow, one litre plastic bottle which has a screw lid. the bottle is very hardy and it doesn't weaken when pouring the way some bottle do. it is ideal for refilling with a washing up liquid and water mixture when supplies are low. The bottle is also recyclable which is great, but could be made use of in arts and crafts projects we have made rockets and cars out of bottles like these.

The mixture is a fairly thin liquid with a sort of slimy consistency, and it is translucent. The liquid is perfect in consistency for bubble guns where thicker liquid does not work quite so well.

The first use was using a simple bubble wand we had previously purchased from Tesco, we filled the tube with the mixture and dipped in the flexible plastic ring. I wasn't expecting much but after waving the wand in the air the mixture created plenty of wonderful bubbles, and I was very pleased with the results as was my son. It worked just as you would hope. The second try was using a bubble gun, also from pound land, we filled the supplied little plastic tray with the solution and dipped in the gun. We then pointed the gun into the air and presses the trigger. The bubble solution held up to its promises yet again, creating lovely bubbles that my little one squealed with delight over.

This is well worth the price and in comparison to other brands we have tried, all of which costing somewhat more, this ranks up there. I was impressed and will definitely be repurchasing. I know it's simple to make, but you need quite a bit of washing up liquid and it can become fairly pricey and also frustrating when you go to do the dishes and discover the bottle of washing up liquid has been emptied. I also find that homemade solution doesn't always work as well as readymade solution.

This solution is, as previously stated, a one litre bottle and lasts a fair amount of time which adds to the value for money. Considering the prices of some of the other brands this is a very good buy.

• Poundland Bubble Gun / Outdoor Toy / 42 Readings / 41 Ratings
                04.07.2013 16:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

A cheap sensory toy.

poundland bubble gun

It goes without saying that this costs £1 from poundland. This shop is ideal for cheap and useful items for both home and garden, but they also have a rather nice little section of toys. To be honest quite a few of the toys I have purchased in the past have been rather lacking in quality, but the outdoor toys have all come up great. I have bought numerous outdoor toys from poundland and they have all been fantastic quality and they have been enjoyed by everyone including the adults. Most recently I have purchased wooden bats and balls and plastic balls to name a few. However my youngest had on this day been to the hospital and because he had been soooo brave I had said he could buy himself a little something, and this was his choice...more bubbles!!!

Well the item is a little coloured plastic battery operated gun that comes with a small bottle of bubbles and a small, shallow plastic tray. The packaging is a piece of cardboard on which the items are placed and a transparent plastic cover sealing them there and it is a 100% recyclable which is great. It was easy to open causing no frustration to my son...some toys are just simply too over packaged! The gun takes 1xaa battery and they are 8 for £1 in poundland, so very inexpensive to replace.

The idea is that a small amount of the bubble solution is placed into the plastic tray and the guns plastic end is dipped into the tray or you can fill the gun with the bubble solution by undoing the little plastic stopper at the base of the handle, and then all that is needed is a little hand to press the trigger and create lots of bubbles. The solution is fairly thick and sticky but does create a fair amount of bubbles with ease. My three year old is able to pull the trigger with ease but I would recommend that you fill it rather than trusting them. The other thing I would mention is that the tray creates a lot more mess than filling the gun so I would definitely supervise the use of the tray.

My older son has obviously had to try it out and found the gun a little fiddly because the gun is fairly small, he can manage to use it but finds it a pain to use...so my little one gets to play with it all by himself.
                My son has special needs and enjoys both watching and catching the bubbles. This a fantastic sensory toy and is a lot cheaper than some other sensory toys on the market. I use this toy a stimulant for my son.

There was a variety of colours available but my son chose the orange gun. The set is made from plastic and is quite sturdy, it has been frequently dropped and no major damage has occurred. I would say though that the bubbles run out fairly quickly so it's advisable to buy some additional bubbles if you don't want your washing up liquid to vanish very quickly...lol!

A lovely cheap and uncomplicated toy.

• Tesco Bubble Wand / Outdoor Toy / 29 Readings / 29 Ratings
                  04.07.2013 13:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fun and simple toy for kids of all ages.

Tesco Bubble Wand

Having plenty of outdoor toys around for the kids is somewhat of an essential in our house come the summer. If you have read any previous reviews I have written, you will be aware of the fact that we have an extensive range in our garden shed for the garden, beach or for picnics. I am always on the lookout for items to add to our collection. I was in Tesco a few weeks back, a place I don't often frequent, and discovered the outdoor play aisle. They had a huge selection of toys but my boys opted for these wands. I was not myself convinced but I conceded.

My sons are ten and three and both have had a great deal of fun from the wands. On arriving home the first priority of my boys was to open up the bag with said wands in. The wands are not packaged, they simply have a tag attached via a shiny elasticated string. Which pleased my youngest who has very little patience for unwrapping over packaged toys, this is also a bonus for anyone environmentally aware. There were an array of colours, I cannot recall them all but know my boys selected a yellow one and a blue one. The wands are a simple design made of plastic, the tube is translucent and the handle is of the chosen colour, the handle twists off easily for little hands so does not require constant requests for help, not that I mind but it's nice for children to feel they are able do things themselves. When the handle is removed from the tube there is a large flexible hoop attached which you dip into the tube which has a thick bubble mixture inside, you can buy refill bubble mix also from Tesco for about £1-2.

The idea is that you move the hoop around in the air to create large bubbles, my oldest could do this with ease, but my youngest tended to get carried away and moved the wand too fast and had to be coached in order to be able to create bubbles, he was frustrated at first, but soon mastered it and was extremely proud of himself. The other children in the street soon came over to join in the fun and they all had a fantastic time using them. My youngest did require supervision as he thought tipping the bubble mix on the floor and jumping in it seemed a better option...lol!

The wands are sturdy and have at points been used as swords etc. and are still in pretty good shape and are still able to be used to make bubbles. Kids imaginations never cease to amaze me and these wands have been in sword fights and used as makeshift guns. My kids have really enjoyed these and I'm really pleased I bought them. They only cost a little under £2 each and I was not expecting them to last more than a few hours, but nearly three weeks later and they are still going strong. Well worth the price and will possibly be stocking up for next year in the sales(if there are any available).

A fun, simple and cheap toy that everyone can enjoy. Take on picnics or use in the garden its fun for both. However not ideal for the beach in my opinion as the bubble mix is pretty sticky and would not mix well with sand...lol!

06.06.2013 21:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

A lovely imaginative toy that kids will love.

It has recently been my youngest sons third birthday, he received, as you can imagine a huge array of toys. One toy being this very cute shopping basket with plastic fruit and vegetables included. He loves it!
                    The item came in a plastic cover with a cardboard sleeve, which adequately protected the items as the fruit is packaged in the basket itself. It was compact and ready to be wrapped as a gift causing no problems- the amount of gifts I have fought trying to wrap them up without tearing the paper...lol!

The basket is made of rather thin blue plastic and the handles are yellow thin plastic. They hold up good, my only criticism is that the handles do pop off occasionally but these simple snap back on very simply. It is the perfect size for little hands measuring 22cm x 17cm x 10cm approximately, all the fruit and vegetables are able to be accommodated in the basket very neatly. The whole product weighs about 260g so even if my son puts additional item in it when shopping it does not become too heavy, obviously depending on the product put in.

The fruit and vegetables are made of the same plastic, they are hollow and very light, they would make ideal bath toys. The issue I have had with these are that they do squash very easily and do not reshape easily if at all. My son still has a habit of chewing toys so quite a few of the vegetable are now oddly shaped. These does not seem to bother my son however who still plays very contently with them.

There is twenty one pieces of fruit and vegetables and they include the common ones like carrots, broccoli, apple and sweet corn but they also include asparagus which I thought was rather unusual. Although I don't think they are particularly realistic, my son was able to identify the item easily and enjoys them.
                    This item was purchased from Amazon for five pounds which I thought was incredibly good value for money. I was not expecting a lot from the item but I wanted to get a few extra little presents to bulk out his gifts a little, but I was pleasantly surprised. The basket is quite hardy. The fruit and vegetables are as I expected a little easy to squash but I do have rather boisterous boys. My son also has a little trolley which he takes shopping but he has started to take this occasionally now.

Because of the healthy options included in the basket it makes a great educational toy for encouraging both healthy eating and making healthy shopping choices. My son now looks out in the shops for items that were included in his set, it makes shopping a little less boring for him.

I consider this item to be well worth the price and would definitely recommend, I am considering another purchase in the future for my nephew but he is still a little young to appreciate the item yet. The set is aimed at younger children and states it is for three plus which I consider to be right.

Overall my son has had a great deal of fun with this toy and its perfect for imaginative play which helps children to understand the world around them and helps to develop language and social skills, as well as educational play, which helps to develop intelligence, making this ideal for any child. I have also bought other items to complement this toy, for example plates and cups and a sandwich making set all of which he enjoys and I get him to use the item to choose his lunch. He makes a plate with his choices of sandwich and fruit and I endeavour to oblige. I have found that this encourages him to choose healthier options rather than me just making a healthy lunch.

Overall a very good buy which I definitely recommend.