tigger1992

• 19722
  • Comments

Member since: 01.09.2009

23.07.2014 20:34

Advantages

• "Feels light on the skin"
      • Packaging

Disadvantages

• Price?
      • " not always"
      • "can cause irritation sometimes"
      • "scent is quite strange"
      • "Not moisturising enough for me"

Not a great product from Caudalie sadly

Caudalie Vinosource Sorbet Creme (40ml, old packaging)

I bought this early last year in the sales for around £7 I think and Caudalie is one of my favourite body care and perfume brands, I have tried a couple of other caudalie skincare products and they have worked really well but this one wasn’t amazing, in my opinion.

About the product

I have the creme in the old packaging which I do like but it is a bit wasteful as I cannot et all of the product out so some of it is wasted - the old packaging is a tub with a pump dispenser. There is 40ml of product and it is stated to be designed for dehydrated and sensitive skin which mine is.

Using the product

I do like the packaging (even though it is a bit wasteful) as the pump is quite hygienic and handy - the creme is a off white colour and it is no where near as thick as the other facial moisturisers I use. It is really quite runny/thin in comparison which actually made a nice refreshing change as it feels very light and fresh on the skin. The moisturiser does have a scent to it which I don’t like straight away as I prefer skincare products to be unscented due to my sensitive skin. The scent of this product is not bad but it is not amazing, it smells quite unusual - a mix of plastic or playdoh and mild floral notes, a very strange and not very nice mix in my opinion.

The application of the very lightweight/thin cream (well it is more of a thin lotion) is nice and it does smooth onto the skin very nicely but I find I have to layer it either with a thick cream in the evening or I have to apply a couple of layers of this caudalie creme as it isn’t moisturizing enough for my dry, dehydrated sensitive skin. Despite using a good amount of the product each time, it did last for quite a while. It was a nice creme overall however occasionally it did irritate my skin particularly the areas where I can get eczema which was annoying so I would go through phases of not using this creme. Overall, the packaging is nice but wasteful, the scent is strange but not too bad and the cream is good when my skin is more normal than sensitive. Even though the product claims to be for dehydrated, sensitive skin for me I would say it is not moisturizing enough and it does sometimes irritate my skin.

Price and availability

I bought this a while ago in a sale online, it may have been from spacenk or salonskincare. This product can be a little hard to find especially because there are similar products with a similar name (and the packaging changes) but this creme can be found at escentual.com for £21.85 (rrp £23) for 40ml.

Positives

*Nice packaging but it is a bit wasteful (this is the old packaging not the new tube packaging)
      *Feels light and refreshing on the skin

*Not moisturizing enough
      *The scent is quite strange and fairly unpleasant
      *Can sometimes irritate my skin
      *I personally have to use quite a lot of product each time

23.07.2014 20:32

Advantages

• Everything!

Disadvantages

• "Nothing in my opinion!"

A fantastic product, in my opinion!

Dove Beauty Bath Indulging Cream

Dove is one of my favourite body and haircare brands from the drugstore/high street, mainly because the products smell amazing and they are just so effective for me and this one is no different.

About the product

I have the massive 500ml bottle, which I have used up, it is the indulging cream version. It does contain sodium laureth sulphate which some people are allergic too but it is so common in body/bath products - in this product I don’t have a problem with it personally. I love the packaging, it is quick and easy to use.

Scent

The scent of dove body products is just amazing, as well as some of their haircare, it is the gorgeous original Dove scent. It smells so fresh, clean and comforting to me, it smell like linen and fresh bedding.

Using the product and results

The product is a thick creamy body wash really, I only use it as a body wash in the shower although you could use it as a bubble bath product. It smells so gorgeous when I use it, its just heavenly! The cream feels really soft and luxe on the skin, it cleanses the skin well without stripping it or drying it out which is fantastic. It doesn’t irritate my skin or cause any negative effects. It lathers well, probably because of the sodium laureth sulphate which is a lathering agent. It washes off quickly and easily, it is just a gorgeous product and the 500ml bottle lasted me so long!

Price and availability

It is currently on sale on the Boots website for £2 for the 500ml bottle which is fantastic but you can also buy Dove products from supermarkets, superdrug, pharmacies and online. I find that Dove is a tiny bit more expensive than other high street bodycare brands (unless it is on offer) but it is fantastic.

Positives

Quick/easy to use and it doesn’t irritate my skin
      Works well and doesn’t strip/dry out the skin
      Gorgeous scent!
      Fantastic price when on offer

None in my opinion

15.03.2014 19:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

Poor product for my sensitive, dry skin - I usually LOVE caudalie products but this one isn't great

Caudalie Vinosource Sorbet Creme (40ml, old packaging)

I bought this early last year in the sales for around £7 I think and Caudalie is one of my favourite body care and perfume brands, I have tried a couple of other caudalie skincare products and they have worked really well but this one wasn't amazing, in my opinion.

Using the product

I do like the packaging (even though it is a bit wasteful) as the pump is quite hygienic and handy - the creme is a off white colour and it is no where near as thick as the other facial moisturisers I use. It is really quite runny/thin in comparison which actually made a nice refreshing change as it feels very light and fresh on the skin. The moisturiser does have a scent to it which I don't like straight away as I prefer skincare products to be unscented due to my sensitive skin. The scent of this product is not bad but it is not amazing, it smells quite unusual - a mix of plastic or playdoh and mild floral notes, a very strange and not very nice mix in my opinion.

The application of the very lightweight/thin cream (well it is more of a thin lotion) is nice and it does smooth onto the skin very nicely but I find I have to layer it either with a thick cream in the evening or I have to apply a couple of layers of this caudalie creme as it isn't moisturizing enough for my dry, dehydrated sensitive skin. Despite using a good amount of the product each time, it did last for quite a while. It was a nice creme overall however occasionally it did irritate my skin particularly the areas where I can get eczema which was annoying so I would go through phases of not using this creme. Overall, the packaging is nice but wasteful, the scent is strange but not too bad and the cream is good when my skin is more normal than sensitive. Even though the product claims to be for dehydrated, sensitive skin for me I would say it is not moisturizing enough and it does sometimes irritate my skin.

*Feels light and refreshing on the skin

*Not moisturizing enough
      *The scent is quite strange and fairly unpleasant
      *Can sometimes irritate my skin
      *I personally have to use quite a lot of product each time

25.02.2014 18:10

Advantages

Disadvantages

An awful product from L'Occitane

L'Occitane Angelica Hydration Cream (15ml travel size)

I received this as part of a free gift with purchase set last year when buying on the online L'Occitane UK website. This is one of the very few L'Occitane facial skin care products I have tried and it is not a great start - I don't think I will be venturing into L'Occitane skincare any time soon.

Product description (from L'Occitane UK)

"L'OCCITANE's patented angelia complex reinforces natural skin hydration by stimulating aquaporines, improves skin elasticity and protects from free radicals. Skin is plumped, smoothed and more radiant. Ideal for dry to normal skin."

About the product

I have the small 15ml travel size pot which has the same packaging as the full size but it is miniature. It is a great size to try out, before you potentially buy the full size - full size is 50ml. The facial cream is non-comedogenic which means that it does not clog pores and it is dermatologically tested.

Scent

The scent of this facial cream is just gorgeous - it smells really fresh, floral and very summery, I love the scent is is my favourite thing about this product. I wish they made a body cream or shower gel in this scent is would be amazing! Although for facial skincare products I do prefer it if they didn't really have a scent because of my sensitive skin.

Using the product

I have been using this product on and off for a few months as a little of this product goes a very long way and I have been loving another moisturiser (the Organic surge super intensive cream more and I have gone though nearly four tubs of it). The other reason I have had this sample tub for so long is because I can only use it when my skin is practically eczema free as this cream does irritate my skin to an extent. The cream has a cream/gel texture which makes it nice to apply as it is slightly cooling on the skin and it feels light. Although the gel does feel greasy/oily on my skin while I apply it and afterwards which I really do not like. I find it does not offer enough hydration for my dry sensitive skin and I just can't stand the feeling of it on my skin as it is very greasy feeling, it doesn't seem to absorb into the skin and it does irritate my skin to an extent making it a bit itchy. Overall, I love the packaging and the scent is just gorgeous but the cream/gel feels very greasy on my skin and it irritates my skin.

Price and availability

I have the travel size version which you can actually buy, it is priced at £10.50 usually but today (25/02/2014) it is reduced to £6.30 on the L'Occitane UK website. The full size 50ml pot is a £32 which I think is quite expensive for a facial moisturiser.

Positives

*Nice packaging and I love the brand overall
        *Gorgeous fresh, floral summery scent

*Price
        *The cream/gel feels very greasy/oily on my skin while applying and afterwards
        *The product irritates my skin to an extent

09.02.2014 14:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Overall, I did like the scent for a long time but not really anymore, slightly disappointing overall

Hugo Boss Orange EDT For Women (50ml) - part of a gift set

I first saw this fragrance in Barcelona airport back in 2009 and I was given this perfume as a present a couple of years later as part of a gift set (the box was a little bit different than pictured above). It is my first Hugo Boss fragrance. I believe the adverts at the time has sienna miller in them.

About the product

I have the 50ml eau de toilette version of this fragrance but it does comes in a small size and also as an eau de parfum. The bottle is gorgeous, in my opinion, it is a long tall bottle with silver sides and the front/back are made of a see through orange plastic - it looks quite simple and modern. The spray for this bottle is quite good, it sprays a good amount (maybe a little too much) but it is a even spray. I did not use the body lotion, I gave it to my sister - I find that perfumed body lotions can be a bit too heavy and irritating, on my skin anyway.

Notes and scent overall

The fragrance has top notes (the notes in the fragrance that you can smell first) of red apples as stated on fragrance websites but in my opinion the red apple notes are not very strong at all when sprayed initially. The fragrance initially for me smells really musky, generic but I do get some hints of a red apple scent although without knowing that red apples were the top notes I wouldn't have said that there was apple in the fragrance. When sprayed the fragrance is strong, musky and a bit astringent but the astringent, almost overwhelming scent disperses fairly quickly leaving a generic musky slightly sweet scent.

The middle or heart notes of this fragrance are said to be that of African orange flower and white flowers and I do smell that. The overriding musky notes do give way to some sweet floral scents in the fragrance and I do prefer the more floral notes to the musk that comes through (even though at this point in the fragrance there are no musky notes noted). The scent initially is quite sophisticated and not very sweet or girly which is usually the type of perfume I go for.

The heart/middle notes then develop into the base/end notes which include, sandalwood, olive tree and vanilla. I find the perfume overall to be quite musky, it is definitely an autumnal or winter perfume in my opinion and then there is more musky notes. I don't know what olive tree is supposed to smell like and I personally don't really smell too much vanilla in the perfume at any point as to me vanilla is a warm, cosy, soothing scent and that is not detectable in the fragrance.

Overall, in terms of the scent, I do like it and I wear it only in the colder months as during the summer I think it would be very cloying, heavy and too musky but that is just my preference. I really liked this fragrance a couple of years ago but for me now it has been become very boring, too musky and too heavy. If you like musky perfumes with some floral notes then I would suggest this fragrance but it is a little heavy.

Longevity

The initial strength of this perfume is really quite strong so I thought that it would last for a long time. The fragrance is strong for a good couple of hours and after about four hours it starts to fade and become a lot more subtle. After five hours the scent is only really noticeable if you conscious try and smell it on your skin or clothing, it is really subtle now. The fragrance lasts on me for a maximum of about 5/6 hours which isn't great in my opinion especially compared to some of my other perfumes which last a lot longer. Overall, very strong initially but is fades rather quickly and the scent changes only slightly though out that time, becoming musky, then more floral and then back to being quite musky.

Price and availability

I was given this fragrance as a gift, in a set with the body lotion a few years ago. You can buy the fragrance on its own from numerous online retailers such as Fragrance Direct (30ml) for £23.95. You can buy the 30ml edt gift set from Debenhams and the edp version is available online too.

*Bottle design is simple and modern and the spray is very good
        *I loved the scent a few years ago and it is a nice musky, floral scent overall
        *Available in numerous sizes and as a gift set and it is not too expensive, in my opinion

Negatives

*The scent is a bit too musky, heavy and initially quite overwhelming for me personally now
        *The bottle (mine is now empty) is quite heavy so it is not great for traveling with
        *The longvevity is not amazing in my opinion - for me the scent only lasts for a maximum of 6 hours - although this may differ from person to person

29.01.2014 16:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fantastic shampoo!

Loreal Everriche Nourish and Flowing Shampoo

I bought this shampoo from Boots a while ago when it first released and it was on offer for 2 for 5 I think. At the time and still now, there were a lot of positive reviews of this range so I had to try it.

Product description (boots)

"L'Oreal Hair Expertise EverRiche Nourishing & Flowing Shampoo is especially designed for even over-processed hair. The luxurious experience, with botanical oils. Respects the hair fibre."

About the product

The shampoo comes in a large gold bottle which is 250ml. The shampoo is specifically made from dry, fine hair and I do not have fine hair by any means but it can get weighed down easily so that is why I chose this shampoo instead of the richer, thicker one. The product contains botanical oils and apricot seed. The best thing about this shampoo in terms of ingredients is that it contains NO sulphates - although it still contains a large number of 'chemical/man made' ingredients.

Using the product

The shampoo is an off white pearly colour and the scent is just gorgeous - the scent is quite nutty and like shea butter. It is similar to the brazil nut and shea body butter from the body shop but it is stronger. I LOVE the scent! It is one of my favourite things about the shampoo. The shampoo does lather really well and as you use the shampoo the gorgeous warming, soothing fragrance is released even more. As it lathers well you don't need that much shampoo each time. The shampoo cleanses my hair well and it doesn't strip it or make it feel tangled. The end result is nourished, smooth, moisturised hair which I love and it doesn't irritate my scalp. The only negative thing about this product is the packaging - the tube is very flexible and it is difficult to get the product out especially towards the end of the bottle so some of the shampoo is wasted inside the bottle.

Price and availability

I bought this when it was on offer along with the conditioner and I like them both. You can buy the shampoo from Boots online for £3.99 currently (£5.99 original price). You will also be able to find it in superdrug and large supermarkets.

Positives

*The scent is just gorgeous!
        *Cheap and effective
        *Leaves my hair smooth, moisturised, mostly frizz free, nourished and soft
        *Doesn't make my hair greasy or irritated

Negatives

*It is sometimes sold out for a while
        *The packaging - the bottle design/material makes it difficult to dispense all of the shampoo and it is too flexible

21.01.2014 16:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

I would not recommend this product at all.

Clynol Repair Rescue Hair Mask Treatment

I received this small tub of the clynol hair mask treatment as an online gift with purchase in a mini/travel set. I have never tried anything from this brand before and I don't think I will after using this product.

Product description (clynol's UK website)

"Luckily, there's no hair problem that can't be helped with this little marvel - a concentration of ultra-effective ingredients, based on our revolutionary 3-dimensional care and repair complex. Softness, shine and not a tangle to be seen in less time than it takes to tackle a latte."

About the product

I have the small 30ml tub and the full size is 200ml. The tub isn't anything fancy at all, quite the opposite, it is extremely basic (border line medical type) packaging. The treatment mask claims to detangle, hydrate and increase shine.

Scent

The scent of this treatment mask is really quite boring and almost like childrens medicine - a slightly fruity, powdery, calpol type scent which I do not like at all! The scent in the tub is fairly subtle but definitely noticeable - it is very sweet and unpleasant in my opinion.

Using the product

The hair mask looks like any other mask, it is white, quite thick and it has a smooth texture. There are no instructions on the packaging as it was a mini/travel size I guess but I always apply hair masks to dry hair - this may seem quite unusual as most hair masks are used on wet or damp hair in the shower but I find masks don't really work for my hair when used that way. So I apply it to my ends, midlengths and a small amount on the top/roots and then leave it for at least an hour - with some hair masks I leave them on for most of the day while I am at home and wash them out in the evening.

This mask apply well to dry hair, it smoothes onto the hair well and it is easy and quick to use. The scent does get a bit stronger as you use it and the scent of the mask stays on my hands for a short while after washing the excess mask off my skin, which isn't great as I do hate the scent. Although while the mask is in the hair I don't really smell the mask thankfully. Rinsing the mask out doesn't take long and it doesn't seem to leave any residue in my hair - my hair is a bit smoother and slightly moisturised. It doesn't weigh down my hair or make it greasy. Even though I only have a 30ml tub, the mask lasted quite a while as I would only used it once a week and you do only need a small amount each time. Overall, I hate the smell and it doesn't really do anything major at all but it is easy to apply and for me it was a free gift with purchase - I wouldn't buy it and I do not recommend it.

Price and availability

I received this as a free gift with purchase from allbeauty.com (formerly cheapsmells.co.uk) I think but this mask can be bought from amazon for £8.95. It doesn't seem to be widely available at all so it might be discontinued.

*Easy and quick to use
        *Doesn't weigh my hair down or make it greasy

Negatives

*A little bit expensive and it is not widely available
        *The scent is horrible, like a really powdery calpol/childrens medicine smell
        *The results are very average

07.01.2014 21:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

A pretty capital city and I am grateful to have visited Estonia but I wouldn't go to Tallinn again

Royal Caribbean Cruise - Tallinn, Estonia

Myself, my sister and my parents went on another Royal Caribbean cruise in August (2013). It is our fifth cruise with royal caribbean, we love them! This cruise is the first one we have been on that goes to northern europe and russia - places none of use have ever been. One of the later stops was Tallinn, Estonia.

- Very brief history and facts

Tallinn is the capital of Estonia and it was founded in the 13th century. Due to the very close proximity of the sea, Tallinn was a trading port particularly during the 14th-16th centuries. The medieval section of Tallinn (the old town) is still well preserved from this busy trading time. Before and after the founding of Tallinn Estonia was invaded and occupied by numerous countries such as Germany, Denmark and Russia among others. Estonia became independent from Russia thorough the war of independence during the early 20th century. But it was occupied again by Russia until the collapse of the CCCP (USSR) in 1991. Estonia joined the EU in 2004 and it is one of the least populated country within the EU. The estonian language is similar Suomi, the Finnish language. The majority ethnic group is Estonian followed by Russian. Estonia has the Euro and it has a estimated total population of about 1.2 million.

- Arrival, port terminal and weather

When we arrived in the morning, the weather was similar to the other northern european countries we had been to on the cruise (and england) - a bit grey and a bit chilly for the time of year, also because we were at the port the wind was really quite strong. We had to walk for a couple of minutes, then we reached a large bridge that we had to walk across, this made it even windier! At the end of the bridge is a fairly large shop (which we later found out was really large, the biggest port shops we had seen). We boarded our coach for the coach/walking tour. The tour we booked was called 'the city of contrasts', I think tickets were around $40 each which is one of the cheapest tours through out the cruise. We arrived in Tallinn on the 15th August which was my 21st birthday!

- The City of Contrasts Tour

We boarded our coach from the harbor, the tour was almost full and our guide was Tiina - all of our guides have been female on this cruise and they have all been able to speak very good english. Although this guide was a bit of a dictator. We drove past houses, shops and churches on the way to the coach stop for the start of our walking tour. The start of our walking tour was just outside 'the old town' which is the medieval part of the city and the section I was most excited about. The old town was really nice, with old medieval style buildings with lots of restaurants and cafes and also some souvenir shops which were nice - but some of  the souvenir shops had large rag dolls outside which were a bit creepy! We only had 10 minutes to shop which wasn't nearly enough and we met up again outside the town hall which looked gorgeous and we went inside where they were serving elk soup for one euro and cabbage pastries (which was really nice and only one euro). Inside the town hall was gorgeous, the decor was amazing - like a Viking hall! There were rustic wooden tables, fur on the seats and there were no lights, only candles which looked so cosy and lovely - the woman serving the food was dressed in traditional medieval clothing. We didn't know about the inside town hall and cafe until a nice american woman from our group told us, she was from new york. The old town square was quite empty at the start of the day - the shops were open and people were driving around but it wasn't busy at all! There were small souvenir shops and amber/jewelry shops but it was mainly just restaurants and cafes which is very disappointing for shopping purposes (and we only had 10 minutes to shop on this tour which is ridiculous!). Our group all met at the town hall after ten minutes and our guide was waiting, two people from our group didn't get to the town hall or they were in a shop but the guide just went without them - this is at the very start of the tour that they had paid for (and royal caribbean tours are not really cheap).

We then walked through the old town to the coach where we drove to the arena, open air museum and coffee stop. The drive took us through Kose which had gorgeous wooden colorful houses and green/woodland areas and then we arrived at the arena. The arena was just an outdoor arena (which was CLOSED) so it was a pointless stop but Robbie Williams was going to perform there in a few days times which must have been why it was closed. It is apparently a big, important venue in Tallinn and it is very popular. We then drove to the coffee stop - the cafe we stopped at looked like an upturned boat where we had tea and chocolate cake. The cake was really nice as were the staff. The cafe, well restaurant, was in a part of Tallinn called Viimsi - the cafe was called PAAT. I love the decor and design of the small building and the outside is right next to the sea and when I say right next to the sea, I mean within a 30 second walking distance.

After the coffee stop at PAAT, we walked about a minute along the coastal road to the open air museum. This stop would have been more pleasant if it wasn't so damn windy! Our guide walked the group down at the sea basically and tried to explain a bit but the sea and wind was really quite strong we could barely hear her. She gave us half an hour to walk around which was more than long enough as there wasn't really a museum it was just a collection of very small buildings to show how Estonians lived a few centuries ago - no dummies, no real tools etc, just a empty building with seating. The items were no even labelled and without a guide, we had no idea what the items were for or who would have lived there. It would have been so much better if our guide (or a guide from the 'museum') walked around with the group to explain. There were some nets to show how they fished but it just looked like a random kind of assault course which was a bit confusing and seemed out of place. The only real positive about this museum was the giant swing (and mini shop). My sister, my dad and a couple of people from our group all climbed on the giant swing - you could go on it - and you had to stand up and it looked quite fun. We then went to look in the mini and I do mean mini museum souvenir shop (it was about the size of our fairly small conservatory). I did buy a cute stripe top which is super thick and comfy for about Euro15 and my mum bought some nautical style decorations for a few euros each. The shop and items were really nice and very nautical themed but it was so tiny and cramped which doesn't make sense as the area around the shop was really large.

We then had a quick stop in Pirita where we looked at the Olympic regatta building (yachting centre) and the sea/lots of boats. Pirita is a really pretty area, again with houses and green space. It is only about 15 minutes drive from the city centre. The olympic building was built for the sailing events for the 1980 Moscow summer olympics. We went from the Olympic regatta area back on the coach to go back to the ship - there was a stop near the shuttle buses for Royal Caribbean and we got off the coach along with a lot of other people to go back into Tallinn as we wanted to go back to the old town of Tallinn which was really nice and we only managed to have about 10 minutes looking around it earlier in the tour.

The walk back into the old town was fairly short from the shuttle bus stop and the old town was a lot busier than before! The shops were really nice, especially the one which had all products made in Estonia - there was wild boar on sale as well as honey and bee pollen chocolate - I almost bought it just for the novelty element. I was surprised by the large number of vans/cars in the old town, especially later in the day. We went back to the shuttle bus stop and for four of us it cost Euro18 to get on the shuttle which wasn't worth it at all because it was such a short distance to the port. There is a large range of stalls and shops at the port with a cafe and bar and also a free wifi hot spot! The walk from the Port to the ship was very very windy, we had to cross a large bridge and it was incredibly windy, about 40-50 mph! It was horrible! The wind was made even worse while we walked back to the ship as we had to walk between the royal caribbean ship and a thompson ship (which looked like a nautical version of a prison, in my opinion), you could barely walk because of the wind!

- Overall

Overall, it was a nice place to visit on my 21st birthday. Before visiting Estonia I had no idea what to expect and I loved the old town, so picturesque and easy to walk around - a good amount of shops too. I also like the PAAT restaurant but I wouldn't go to Tallinn again - in my opinion (and from my experience of the tour), there just isn't that much more to do.

- Conclusions

Positives

*Fairly cheap Royal Caribbean tour (not too much walking for the tour and the opportunity to go back into Tallinn on the shuttle bus)
        *Clean, easy to get around and the people were nice/friendly
        *Pretty views of the sea/boats from the olympic centre area and the open air 'museum'
        *The Paat restaurant
        *Old town - very pretty, shops, lots (too many in my opinion) of cafes/restaurants

Negatives

*Not that much to do in Tallinn, in my opinion
        *The open air museum wasn't really a museum at all, very disappointing

16.12.2013 23:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great product, recommended.

Yves Rocher Pomegranate Shower Gel

I have had this for a while in my drawers, I received a extra one as there was a buy one get one free offer when I bought it months ago. I find yves rocher do make great product for hair, body and fragrance but they are not that widely available in the UK - I have ordered from their website before but there were complications sadly and I haven't ordered since.

- Product description

The shower gel comes in a clear plastic container which is a slightly unusual shape, it contains 200ml of product and the shower gel itself is bright red, like pomegranate seeds/juice. The shower gel does contain some botanically derived ingredients such as pomegranate extract from spain, aloe vera gel and more. It contains no animal ingredients, it is PH neutral and all of the packaging is recyclable which is fantastic!

- Scent

I like the smell of pomegranates, although they do not actually have that strong of a scent in my opinion, This product does smell just divine, I adore the scent although to me it doesn't really smell of pomegranates. The scent to me is that of very sweet artificial strawberries and cranberries - not pomegranates! However, I do love the scent although it is definitely not for everyone.

- Using the product and results

I have been using this product for the past three weeks or there about, as you do only need a small amount as with the body shower shower gels this one lathers up so quickly and easily! The scent intensifies while you use the scent which I love. I use about a 10p coin sized amount which produces a great amount of bubbles/lather. I find the shower gel works well at cleansing the skin and it doesn't seem to strip the skin really - it leaves the skin feeling clean and fresh! The scent doesn't tend to linger on the skin sadly for me but I use a body butter after anyway. Overall, a lovely product that works well and it has a gorgeously sweet artificially fruity scent.

- Price and availability

This product can be bought from the Yves Rocher UK website for around £3.9 normally but it is currently £1.90 on the website, when on sale it is a great bargain. I bought mine as part of a duo set in which I received the shower gel, face mask and a cute pink/white spotty metal plant container which I still have and love.

Positives

*Easy to use and rinses off easily
          *Gorgeous scent that I LOVE!
          *Cheap when on offer
          *lathers really quickly and easy - and leaves my skin clean and fresh

Negatives

*Not widely available at all in the UK sadly
          *Scent isn't what I expected, it smells nothing like pomegranates in my opinion

16.12.2013 23:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great foundation, highly recommended!

Max Factor Smooth Effect Foundation

I came across this foundation by chance as it was reduced to £3.99 in Tesco a couple of months ago and what appeared to be the lightest shade so I thought I would give it a go - I have stumbled across a fantastic foundation!

- Product description (asda direct website)

"Smooth Effect Foundation gives you an instant, smooth finish, that lasts for hours, creating a base for colour to really pop. Like a canvas, the smoother the surface, the better the effect."

- Product description

The foundation comes in a clear plastic squeezy tube, which contains the average 30ml of foundation. The packaging is simple. The foundation claims to be oil free, suitable for sensitive skin and will not clog pores.

- Shade

Initially I bought the lightest shade that was available as it was on sale - I bought the shade 45 cream ivory which in the tube looked like a good match but it is slightly too dark. I then bought an even lighter shade (yes, I am that pale) called 40 Porcelain which is a great match - although both shades are a bit too pink toned. It would be best if it had a neutral undertone (a mix of yellow and pink tones) or just yellow tones to counteract the pink in my skin.

- Using the foundation and results

The foundation is quite thick (it is definitely not runny!) but it has a really smooth creamy texture so it does smooth onto the skin really well. I first tried using the foundation with fingertips which does work, it isnt streaky but using your fingers to apply and blend foundation reduced the coverage. I have also used it with a sponge (my Cosmopolitan perfection sponge and my Real Techniques sponge) and it does work really well with the foundation, especially on my dry skin as the sponge just presses th foundation onto the skin without emphasizing dryness. For the first time in a while I can use a normal foundation brush to apply a foundation, I use the Ral Techniques expert face brush to apply this foundation mainly. The Real techniques expert face brush is fantastic, very soft and it is great for numerous foundations - cream or liquid. The foundation smoothes onto the skin really well (hence the name I guess), it doesn't leave streaky marks really and I usually go over it very lightly with a fluffy brush anyway just incase. I find it difficult to get a foundation that has good coverage but doesn't emphasize dryness - this foundation meets that criteria!

It has medium-buildable coverage and it doesn't emphasize dryness, on my skin anyway. This foundation covers redness really well, pores, very minor blemishes and it helps to reduce dark circles. I am very happy with the application, finish (natural, slightly dewy but definitely not greasy at all) and coverage of this foundation. It works well with numerous application tools/brushes and as it is contained in a squeezy tube you have complete control on how much is dispensed. The foundation works well with powder on top and with numerous primers and concealers too. This product lasts for most of the day on my skin without a primer, with a primer it lasts all day - I find by the end of the day there is some slight patchiness.

Overall, I love this foundation - the finish, application, coverage, wear and price are fantastic. There are only a couple of minor negative about this product in my opinion - the colour match is fairly good but both shades are a bit too pink toned which just make my pink toned skin even pinker! It would be better if they had a neutral undertone or a yellow undertone. Also the foundation has a slightly strange smell, like paint which is not nice but the foundation doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

- Price and availability

When I mentioned this foundation in a haul post on my beauty/fashion/lifestyle blog someone commented saying that this foundation might be discontinued which is not great at all, it is a fantastic product. You can currently buy this foundation from Asda direct for £7.98 (online), eBay, Superdrug, Amazon and I bought my second tub (the lighter shade) for around £6.99 on fragrance direct (online).

Positives

*Easy to use, apply and remove
          *Good shade match, apart from the fairly strong pink undertone
          *Cheap
          *Nice finish, good coverage, doesn't emphasize dryness or pores
          *Good wear/longevity

Negatives

*Smells like paint to me
          *The fairly strong pink undertone
          *And it might be discontinued

04.12.2013 16:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

A fantastic cleanser for dry skin that I would recommend and buy again

Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm

I bought this last year and I have been using it on and off since then. I have only used a few things from the boots botanics skincare ranges, although the couple of items I have tried, I really liked such as the skin relief serum. I also love this cleansing balm - apparently the balm was made with shea butter and the one I have is made with olive oil instead which is a cheaper ingredient but I do like it.

- Product description (from Boots.com)

"This organic deep-cleansing balm contains a luxurious blend of Shea Butter, Rosehip and Jojoba Oil to leave skin smooth and beautifully clean. The ultra-rich softening formula swiftly lifts make-up, while the gentle polishing action of the muslin cloth helps dislodge pore-clogging debris, revealing your beautiful radiant complexion."

- About the product

The facial cleansing balm comes in a tub with a screw top lid. There is 70ml or 2.3 US fl oz of product in the tub. The balm is 97% organic and it contains the following natural ingredients such as: rosehip. The balm is a dirty yellow colour with visible whiter/lighter bits in it.

- Using the product and results

Firstly, what is a cleaning balm? A cleansing balm is a solid balm cleanser basically, it is a oily solid face cleanser in a tub - it doesn't sound great but it is fantastic for dry skin - I definitely wouldn't recommend it for people unless you have dry skin. To use the balm you take a small 5 pence sized amount in my hands and I make sure there is an even layer on my finger tips and massage it gently into my skin and over my eyes - it is safe to use over the eyes, in a small amount, and I have sensitive skin around my eyes due to on/off eczema. I massage it gently into the skin and it feels really greasy when applied/massaged which doesn't feel nice but the balm is easy to massage in and it doesn't really pull the skin. The balm is used for cleansing the skin and also removing makeup, that is why you can use it over the eyes.

The balm doesn't feel nice on the skin when you use it but it does smell fairly nice. The balm smells like floral and quite natural and creamy/oily, in my opinion - others say that it smells like aloe vera too. The balm makes my skin feel greasy and oily when I use it and to remove the balm and slightly exfoliate the skin I use the muslin cloth that comes with the cleaning balm - a similar concept to the Liz Earle hot cloth cleansing balm. I use a hot/warm damp muslin cloth and press it gently against the skin to melt the skin and then just sweep the cloth across the skin removing the balm and makeup. The balm is fairly easy to remove and the muslin cloth helps to remove the balm and slightly exfoliate the skin gently. Once the balm is removed it makes my skin feel smooth, soft, moisturised but I can usually still feel the balm/wax on my skin to an extent - I think this is what makes my skin feel moisturised and helps get rid of dry patches. The balm does make my skin feel clean but because of the wax/balm excess on the skin it makes it feel less clean than other cleansers I have used.
            This cleanser is just fantastic for my dry sensitive skin and I have not experienced any negative effects of this product such as breakouts/spots, dryness, redness or irritation. When I use this cleansing balm I definitely notice a good difference in my skin whereby it is a lot less dry (in the way my skin feels/looks) and I have to use less moisturiser when I use this cleanser.

Overall, I love this product, especially when the weather is colder as it helps with dryness and it improves the texture of my skin, making it smoother, softer and moisturised. I like the scent and I find that you only need a small amount and one tub has lasted me a while - I have nearly finished the tub now and I would definitely re-purchase! I would only recommend this product to people with dry skin, even if you have normal skin it may be too waxy/moisturising.

- Price and availability

I bought this product when it was on offer for around £4 from the Boots website. This product can be bought from Boots stores and online for

Positives
            *Easy to apply and massage into the skin
            *Nice scent, muslin cloth included and it is mostly natural/organic
            *Leaves the skin smooth, soft, moisturised and it make the skin texture feel even
            *Price and availability
            *Doesn't irritate the skin, helps a lot with dryness and it does not make my skin breakout

*Tub packaging
            *The balm/wax consistency makes the skin feel oily/greasy when using the product

27.11.2013 14:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good product

Original Source Mint and Tea Tree Shower Gel

I have tried a few original source shower gels in the past such as the limited edition cinnamon type one and the honey/shea one - I loved them! Original source is a brand that I have bought from again and again.

About the product

The shower gel comes in a clear plastic container which is recyclable! The container holds 250ml of green shower gel. The shower gel is suitable for vegans to use, it contains natural fragrances and as far as I know the products are not tested on animals.

Scent

The scent of this product is supposed to be mint and tea tree and to me this shower gel just smells like vicks - the menthol skin balm. It just smells exactly like that product and while I have been using this, I have had a cold and using this product does make me feel a bit better, just because of the scent. The scent is really quite strong!

Using the product

I have used these shower gels before so I know that you only need a small amount each time because they lather up so well but it isn't that surprising because they contain sodium laureth sulphate which is a common lathering agent. The shower gels lather so well and as I use this product the strong mint/vicks scent gets even stronger - it is so strong, it does sting my eyes a little because the scent of mint/vicks etc is so strong! I probably wouldn't buy this scent again just because the scent is strong and quite overpowering but the shower gel overall is fantastic. I find this product very easy to later, it rinses off easily and it leaves my skin clean and not stripped/dry. I find the scent of this product lingers in the bathroom but not really on my skin which I personally like.

Price and availability

These shower gels can be bought from supermarkets such as tesco and asda and it can also be bought from boots and superdrug. Current prices: £2.30 at boots online but they are usually on offer for £1.

Positives

*Lather very well and rinses off easily
              *Nice scent, especially if you have a cold
              *Cheap, widely available, good brand - particularly in terms of ethics

Negatives

*The scent can be really overpowering and too strong, for me anyway

21.11.2013 10:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

a gorgeous hand cream!

L'Occitane Shea Butter Dry Skin Hand Cream

I received a mini hand cream as part of a gift set and I have tried numerous versions of the loccitane hand creams as I have received others in gift sets and also as magazine freebies - I always get loccitane hand creams when they are magazine freebies.

- About the product

The hand cream I have is the smaller 10ml or 0.3 fl oz tube, although larger tubes of hand cream are available. The cream contains 20% shea butter for dry skin and the product contains other natural ingredients such as: rapeseed oil, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, rosemary leaf extract and more.

- Using the product and results

The hand cream is white in colour, it has a smooth even texture and a thick consistency. The cream is contained in a silver flexible metal tube which allows the product to be dispensed easily and hygienically. The tube also allows the use of all of the product to be used with none/very little product to be wasted. The cream applies quickly, easily and smoothly. I use a small amount of product each time I use it, I use just less than a 5 pence sized amount each time. The product smells really nice, the scent is one of the best things about this product in my opinion, as to me it smells comforting and clean. It smells like talcum powder and clean linen to me - the scent does last on the skin for a while but not as long as I would like it to. The cream does not take too long to absorb into the skin, it take a minute or two for the cream to be mostly absorbed but I can still feel it on my fingers for a good few minutes after application. The cream leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth, moisturised and lightly fragranced. This product is great as a hand cream and as a nail cream as well and I like to apply this product to my nails and cuticles. Overall, a gorgeous scented cream and it makes my skin smooth, soft and moisturised and it doesn't take too long to absorb.

- Price and availability

The cream can be bought as part of gift sets and it can be bought individually from debehams, john lewis and the loccitane uk website for £8 (30ml) or £19 for 150ml.

Positives
                *Packaging - doesn't waste any product and it is easy to travel with
                *Gorgeous fresh linen/talcum powder scent
                *Leaves the skin smooth, soft and moisturised
                *Doesn't leave any residue on the skin and it doesn't irritate my skin

17.11.2013 12:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

A gorgeous scent from Yankee Candle!

Yankee Candle Witches Brew Tea Lights

I had this scent as a sampler version last halloween and I did burn it on halloween. It is a autumn/halloween exclusive and it comes out every year as far as I know. I wish this scent was in their permanent range though, as it is one of my all time favourite candles!

- Product description (from yankee.co.uk)

"The spicy sweet aroma of exotic patchouli casts a captivating Halloween spell. Scented tea lights are perfect for decorating with fragrance. These colourful little candles offer lots of possibilities ... use multiple tea lights for dramatic style, or alone for a fragrant accent in a small room. They're also a perfect host or hostess gift! Conveniently packaged in boxes of 12 tea lights."

- About the product

Sadly this product is a halloween limited edition so you can only buy it around autumn time and even then it is a bit hard to find with some websites being sold out or saying it is discontined. The tea lights come in a box of 12 and they are all pre-cut - the wax for the tea lights is black so that when it is burnt were is black melted wax - great for halloween! The box packaging for the tea lights has a halloween theme too with cats, witches, pumpkins, frogs, skulls as silhouettes. It would make a great present.

- Scent

The scent is me is gorgeous and if you just smell the candles as they are, before they are burnt/melted then they do not smell as amazing as they do when they are being burnt. The scent while they are boxed is musky with licorice and berry notes (and a bit like mens aftershave then it is not being burnt). It is very mysterious and reminds me of halloween immediately. It is a gorgeous scent, I love it!

- Using the tea lights

As with the vanilla chai tea lights the wicks are already cut so you do not need to trim them usually. When burning they do smell better than when they are just in the box, they become more berry/licorice like and they do smell divine! When I smell them they like evoke all of the words that you associate with halloween - spooky, magical, mysterious but exciting and unique. The tea lights are not as highly scented as the sampler was last year. With one tea light you will only smell it very subtly and with two it is better but I imagine with three tea lights the scent will be amazing although I don't really want to use them up that quickly as they are difficult to find at the best of times! If you see these this autumn/winter I would definitely recommend picking it up, especially if it is a sampler or a jar - maybe not the tea lights. They burn for about five hours and the scent with two samplers is good and it travels to a couple of rooms but it is not as strong as I would like it to be.

- Price and availability

I bought these from clintons cards online for around £6 or less and they can be really difficult to find. They are currently available from yankee.co.uk for £4.99 which I think is a great price as they are usually around £6.99. They can also be found on ebay and maybe amazon. Although if you see this scent, pick it up quickly as it is rare and gorgeous!

*Gorgeous scent!
                  *Packaging and price when you can find them
                  *Fairly good dispersion and they burn evenly

Negatives

*They are no where near as strong as I would like them to be
                  *They can be really difficult to find

08.11.2013 16:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

A very nice perfume at a great price but it is not for me anymore.

Hugo Boss EDT For Women (50ml)

I first saw this fragrance in Barcelona airport back in 2009 and I was given this perfume as a present a couple of years later. It is my first Hugo Boss fragrance. I believe the adverts at the time has sienna miller in them.

- About the product

- Notes and scent overall

- Longevity

- Price and availability

I was given this fragrance as a gift, in a set with the body lotion and body wash a few years ago. You can buy the fragrance on its own from numerous online retailers such as Fragrance Direct (30ml) for £23.95. You can buy the 30ml edt gift set from Debenhams and the edp version is available online too.

*Bottle design is simple and modern and the spray is very good