xxSalzxx

• Comments

Member since: 06.10.2009

29.06.2013 23:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

How did my hair look before this?!

One of the reasons I love reading so many magazines is I very often get a lot of free samples from them - mainly samples of things I wouldn't have tried or been attracted to buy for myself. One of these products was this L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil which I got 2 small sachets of recently. And to be honest even that didn't convince me to test it out - but as I gave one sachet to my mom and she kept raving about how good it was I thought it was worth using it once just to see. I have to say now I don't know how I ever went without using this oil on my hair! The results for me honestly are amazing and since that first time I've gone and brought the full sized bottle and have been using it ever since. I have no doubts that this will be part of my hair care routine for many years to come as I've never used a product quite so good for my hair.

--------------------------

Useful Information:
      Price: I believe I paid around £10 for a 100ml bottle of this oil. Prices do vary slightly so you might get a small saving if you shop around.
      Stockists: Boots & Superdrug stores both stock this oil along with their websites.
      Other Info: Promises to give your hair luminous colour & supreme softness while not weighing it down. Great for use on wet or dry hair & I believe there is a coloured hair and non coloured hair version of this oil (as I have bright red hair I obviously opted for the coloured hair variety).

Packaging:

This oil comes in a rather nice golden glass 100ml bottle with a red push down nozzle at the top - I actually really like the bottle it makes a difference from all the plastic hair products I have cluttering the bathroom! My only issue is that the nozzle doesn't have a lid on it which isn't usually a problem however when I wanted to take this on holiday with me I was worried about it leaking easily in my suitcase - I sadly had to leave it at home and use an inferior oil whilst away so I can't be sure whether it would have been totally secure or not. On the bottle is all the information you could need on the product - shelf life (18M), ingredients, directions for use etc. and there is an address and website printed on there should you have any other questions about it - nothing left unanswered for me though. Overall I like the bottle - it just made me sad that I couldn't use it on holiday when I seriously needed it with all the heat & humidity - next time I'll pour some into a different bottle!!

Oil Me Up!!

You can use this oil in 3 different ways so it is very versatile and all depends on what results your hoping for:

Before shampooing - when your hair is wet but before you've applied shampoo you can run this oil all through you hair & then wash out. This is supposed to help with protecting your colour.

Before styling - Again while your hair is still wet run a few drops of this all over from root to tip and then brush through. This is supposed to help protect your hair from heat appliances & tame your frizz.

After styling - This is a finishing touch and basically helps to smooth away any stray hairs and makes your hair extremely soft and glossy.

Whichever way you use this oil you only need 2 squirts from the bottle at the most - I have very long hair and most of the time 1 squirt is more than enough for me so less is certainly more. If you only use small amounts you will definitely get better results (as if you use too much your hair will get greasy very quickly & feel very heavy) & also the bottle will last you a VERY long time. I've had my bottle for at least 3 months now and I use it every time I wash my hair and I've hardly made a dent in my bottle - this is going to last me forever!

When using this just get 1-2 squirts onto your hands and rub evenly through from root to tip and then brush through to make sure everywhere is covered - that's the easiest way I've found and that works best for me.

I have used this oil in all the ways listed above and I have to say the latter 2 options work best for me. The first few times I used this before shampooing it did make my hair glossy but I don't think it made my colour last any longer, that could be because I didn't use it in that way enough though. However the other 2 ways of using this is why I like it so much ...

My Results:

There are so many reasons why this oil works well for me and it does actually work for the exact reasons I use it. It definitely makes my hair look so much glossier - and does make the colour appear brighter when I use it before I style it. I've found that when using this on wet hair before drying it actually speeds up the drying time - I have long thick hair so even drying it with the hairdryer takes me a good 25mins, that is halved when I use this oil (I have no idea why it just seems to work that way on me). When my hair is dry the difference I think is shocking my hair looks so glossy and it actually helps with my split ends making them look pretty much non-existent and my hair to the touch is super soft. I've had so many comments from people at work asking what I use on my hair to make it look how it does and it is definitely all thanks to the miracle oil.

Using after styling helps as well - after I straighten my hair it does tend to get a little bit frizzy and have those annoying flyaway hairs floating about however I have a little tip to get rid of them for the day. Get a very small amount of this oil on your hand & roll an old blusher brush into it and then for want of a better description paint it onto the areas that just won't lie flat - trust me it works. It just helps keep a style in position and not a hair out of place all day so the results are definitely long lasting - they last until the next time I wash my hair and repeat the process.

It doesn't weigh down my hair at all like I've found when using oils in the past and when using it I don't need to wash my hair any more regularly than I usually would so it definitely doesn't make my hair any greasier long term either.

Final Word:

This is a lightweight and very versatile hair product and for me one that has become a part of my daily style routine. I highly recommend this to anyone out there with coloured hair or even just hair that needs a bit of a boost to go back to looking healthy and shiny. Worth every penny - and don't worry about the price because I assure you one bottle will last you a very long time!

10.02.2013 18:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Try Mixing Your Own!!

I'll start this review by saying ... I LOVE COCKTAILS! Cannot get enough of them - alcoholic or otherwise (I practically lived off Green Demons in the daytime on holiday!) however drinking them in bars and pubs is quite costly. I have a few recipe books for cocktails but I never seem to get around to buying all the ingredients I need for my favourites - one of which is the classic Mojito! Anyway a few weeks back I decided to get around to stocking the drinks cabinet so I could make some of my own after a long day at work, that is when I came across this 'Funkin Mojito Kit' which contained everything I needed to make one of my favourite drinks, but much quicker and cheaper! So without further hesitation I snagged this (along with a few other varieties) to try out at home. Now as I mentioned I love cocktails particularly this one so I had high hopes for this to be amazing ... can safely say I have not been disappointed. Not quite as good as a freshly mixed from scratch drink but a very reasonable (and a lot cheaper!) alternative.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Useful Information:
        Price - Mine cost around £5 - however that's for a glass, the mixer in a pouch & a 5cl bottle of Bacardi - everything you need to create the cocktail.
        Stockists: I got mine from Tesco - also there is a Funkin website - funkin.co.uk - which has the whole range available.
        Other Info: All Funkin cocktail mixes are made from 100% natural ingredients. This one in particular claims to be the perfect blend of limes, mint & sugar - all you have to do is add the rum!

Packaging & Products:

For a set that's relatively cheap for what you get the packaging overall and for each original item is actually quite nice. The box itself its black in colour with a clear film on the front so you can see everything contained inside - there is also a picture of the cocktail on the front so you have some idea of how the finished cocktail should look - in case you've never had one before. On the back of the box is the usual alcohol warnings and details of how to prepare the cocktail along with a list of things you should find inside - fairly standard. Now inside the box there is:

1 5cl bottle of bacardi - looks exactly like the large bottles only in miniature. This is more than enough to make at least 2 cocktails with - even more if you don't like them to be too strong (like me).

1 Funkin Mojito Mixer Pouch - This is silver in colour and has a small twist lid at the top to open and close - seems very secure - I didn't have any issues with it leaking anyway. This again contained enough for me to make 2 drinks - although if your having smaller measures you will be able to get more out of it. This works out at about £2.50 a cocktail - and when you consider the prices of them in bars that is really good.

1 small, clear glass - Nothing spectacular about this, its large enough to hold a decent amount of the drink and small enough to store away. It doesn't have the Funkin or Bacardi logo on it which is slightly disappointing but it does the job.

Its a nice little set overall in my opinion, I like that it comes with a glass as well as I think it would make a great gift for a cocktail lover - and its fairly cheap as well but still looks great. A perfect gift and a really nice looking set for the money you pay.

Bartender In Your Living Room:

Seriously making this couldn't be simpler - which is one of the main plus sides (that and it tastes great)! I got a little cocktail shaker for Christmas so I used that but its the same if you tip it into a glass and stir slightly - simply pour some Bacardi in - I used about half the bottle for each cocktail - and then top it up to your tastes with the ready made mix - then stir or shake ... then enjoy and drink! On the website it does say you sad add a lime wedge, mint leaves or ice if you have any lying around but to keep it simple and quick I just drank it with the rum and mixer. It tastes just as good with those 2 ingredients added - but if I had more time I probably would add some ice - I think it would just make it cooler and even more refreshing that way. But once again it all depends on how much time you have and what your personal cocktail tastes are.

I don't think there's any way that this can be done wrong but the end result should be a cocktail that is green and slightly cloudy in colour - it even looks refreshing, and I can say with certainty it was just the ticket after a full week at work!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Taste Test/Does It Measure Up?

I have to admit although I had high hopes for this I never thought it could possibly be as good as a Mojito made freshly in a cocktail bar - and while its never going to taste EXACTLY the same ... it measures up very well and tastes just as refreshing and tangy as some of the best I've tried in cocktail bars. It really does have the perfect balance of flavours in this - you get hints of the mint with is freshening, the lime with gives it a nice citrus tang - without being sour at all & the sugar makes it slightly sweeter - and for someone who loves sweet drinks that was amazing for me. None of the flavours overpower each other they just mix together nicely with the rum - which once again isn't too strong - if used in moderation. I'm not a huge fan of Bacardi so if it was too strong this would have been impossible for me to drink - you get the taste of it but without the throat burning associated with strong spirits!

Its definitely worth trying if your a cocktail fan or even if your just looking to try something different - with all the varied flavours I don't think this is a drink that everyone will like however if you like Mojito's you will 100% like the cocktail this mixer helps to create. Refreshing and not too strong if your looking for a nice summertime, daytime drink - but can be made stronger if your having a party or are looking for more of a kick from your drink. Everyone's will taste slightly different depending on how much rum and mixer you use but the basic tastes will be the same - and I thoroughly enjoyed my drink.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I definitely recommend to cocktail lovers - and I think it would make a perfect gift for birthdays or Christmas - makes a great couple of cocktails and cheap, everything I was looking for!

07.01.2013 00:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

My Hairs New Favourite Product!

For someone who uses heated stylers pretty much everyday a good heat defence spray is an absolute must have for me. Having long and coloured hair means it tends to get damaged quite quickly when using hairdryers, straighteners, rollers etc so if I dont use a spray that would happen much more quickly and leave my hair just looking and feeling awful. I usually use a Paul Mitchell spray that I buy at the hairdressers each time I go which does work wonderfully for me, however it only comes in HUGE cans and when it came to taking a spray away on holiday with me that just wouldn't do. So I went shopping for a travel sized heat defence spray and came across this 'Tresemme Heat Defence Styling Spray' which was just what I was looking for - it was travel sized and a brand I am pretty familiar with so I had high hopes for this spray. Luckily I have not been let down, in fact I've actually switched from my usual product to using this - its cheaper & it actually works just as well if not better!!

-------------

Price: 300ml - £4.69 60ml (travel size) - £1.49
          Stockists: Boots & Superdrug.
          Other Info: Defends against heat from appliances such as blow dryers, straighteners & curling tongs. Also promises to smooth frizz and leave your hair looking sleek and shiny. This can be used on any hair type and on both damp and dry hair.

Packaging:

As I mentioned I bought this specifically for travelling with so the bottle I own is the 60ml size - exactly the same as the larger size in most respects with a different lid, but with all the same information and exactly the same product. It comes in a black and purple plastic bottle - very fitting with the Tresemme brand - and is the perfect size for taking on holiday. Printed on the bottle is all the information about the product - directions for use, shelf life (12M), ingredients etc - there is also a website printed on there should you have any other questions for queries about the product. At the top of the bottle is a lid, underneath which is a push down nozzle to release the product, nothing amazing about the packaging however it sprays well and the lid and bottle are very secure in my opinion - no bursting on the plane, so once again brilliant packaging wise for travelling with if you cant go a week without your straighteners like me!

Using It:

As I mentioned this spray can be used on either damp hair - before blow drying or on dry hair before you use another heat styler on it. I would personally suggest you use it on either one or the other, I believe it would weigh down my hair too much if I used it on damp and then dry so I tend to use it on damp hair only. Also I get good enough results from using it only once so using it more than that wouldn't be a benefit to me - and it saves me buying bottle after bottle of this. Anyway applying this to damp hair is pretty easy I tend to just brush it through and then liberally spray this all over from root to tip and then brush through again, applying to dry hair is slightly harder for me. When using it on dry hair I have to spray a small amount to each section of hair before I apply the heat - takes more time but once again works just as well, I guess the way you use it can always depend on how much time you have to get ready.

One thing I really like about this spray is the scent, its very fruity and fresh and that smell lasts on my hair afterwards as well, the heat doesn't get rid of any fragrance so that's a huge bonus for me. Depending on how long and thick your hair is will mean it will be a personal thing on how much you use each time - on wet hair about 6 sprays all over and then brushed in is more than enough for me - I have pretty long hair so that might seem like a lot to most people but for me it just makes sure all my hair is fully coated - shorter and thinner hair = using less each time, it really is an individual thing.

Short Term:

When thinking about the day to day results this works wonders. Since this protects hair when using heat appliances that go up to 230 degrees it definitely is enough protection for any heat appliance I personally use. So Ive got the day to day protection I need and also it does deliver on the other promises of making my hair look frizz free and shiny every day - there's nothing better than my hair looking just washed and styled everyday with minimal effort on my part.

Long Term:

Long term the results are even better for me this protects my hair every single day so the chance of split ends due to heat damage is seriously minimized which makes trips to the hairdressers to tidy them up much less frequent. I genuinely think this continues to protect my hair when I straighten it when dry - and it helps me have shinier and frizz free hair after every wash - a look that really does last until the next time I repeat the process.

Final Word:

For those of you who love your heat appliances but hate the fact that they damage your hair then this product is for you. It really does protect your hair, improves the look of it daily and is very simple to use. I bought this only for travelling but its become a permanent product in my beauty regime and I highly recommend it to everyone - 5*s from me.

16.12.2012 20:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

Don't Go Away Without Them!

When it comes to taking my make-up off for me nothing beats a good cleanse, tone & moisturise session before bedtime and so thats the method I use 9 times out of 10. However when I was packing for holiday earlier this year it occurred to me I didn't want to lug that many products all the way to Bulgaria with me so I was going to have to invest in some travel face wipes to save room in my suitcase and for something to use that was a bit more refreshing in the heat. As this was in July this year all the shop had the travel essentials for people going on their jollies so I managed to pick up everything I needed in mini size including a packet of these 'Carex Refreshing/Cleansing Face Wipes'. The packet was small and its right there in the name - everything I needed from a packet of wipes and more since these are suitable for your face, hands and body so perfect when travelling to a foreign country in my opinion. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised - they aren't as good as my usual routine in any way but for a quick fix late at night or on the go they are amazing value!

Useful Information:
            Price: 99p - I paid although since I have seen them around for cheaper. That is the price for a small packet of 15 wipes.
            Stockists: I got these from Superdrug as part of their travel essentials - they are also available from Boots, Wilkinsons & online from Amazon.
            Other Info: As I mentioned these wipes are suitable for use on your face, hands and body. They are suitable for sensitive skin & dermatologically tested - these are also suitable for adults and children alike.

Packaging:

As I mentioned I bought these with the intention of taking them on holiday with me so the fact that they come in a mini packet worked perfectly for me - as they will if your looking for something to carry around in your handbag to use on the go (I'm unsure if these come in a packet any bigger than 15 wipes) if they don't then using them in the long term would be slightly annoying as you would be buying a new packet pretty much every fortnight, but as I said for travelling purposes the tiny size is just what I wanted. The packaging itself is blue and green in colour and is pretty standard and has all the information you could need printed on the back - shelf life, directions for use, ingredients etc and there is also a website should you have any other questions about the wipes. On the top of the packet is a small sticky flap that is pulled back so you can access the wipes and is stuck back down to stop them drying out - this seems to work pretty well as all my wipes remained moist and ready to use throughout my holiday so the packaging worked very well for me. Great for travelling and using on the go - might be a little to small a packet to be using long term though.

Using Them:

These wipes look like any other so nothing out of the ordinary there - and they do have a slight fragrance, but it just smells clean and soap like - not enough to cause any irritation to your skin if you are sensitive to fragrance so nothing to worry about there - when things are seriously scented they cause me rashes and I had no problem with these at all. I was quite surprised at how moist these wipes are - some cheaper brands I've tried in the past feel a lot drier and so I have to really scrub at my face for it to feel make-up free and cleansed at all but these were as moist and soft feeling as much more expensive brands I've used. Due to how moist these feel that definitely helps when using them as I don't have to scrub as much on my eyes and it definitely helps make my face feel cleaner and more refreshed - and in 40 degree sunshine my face really did need refreshing pretty much all the time. I mainly used these on my face while I was away because a mixture of make-up, sweat, sand, sea water, chlorine etc didn't leave my face feeling too good and I really did need something to put some moisture back in and cool me down a bit as well and these really did work wonders for that. They also do remove make-up very well also - now I'm not sure how great they are on heavy make-up as I only wore minimal amounts whilst away but they removed my foundation and mascara very well, so for people that don't wear too much make-up day to day them these will work perfectly for you.

An All Over Scrubber?

Since I started working in a shop I have become obsessed with people having germs on their hands. Now usually whilst at work I use anti-bacterial hand wash but I was going through bottles and bottles of that and as you may know its quite pricey to keep replacing the bottles. So when I got back from holiday I bought another packet of wipes specifically for using whilst at work. Now I cant say with absolute certainty these are good for killing germs but I can say these make my hands feel cleaner - always a bonus when handling a lot of dirty money! and I haven't had a cold or any other kind of sickness since I've been using these so I would say if they don't work 100 percent at killing germs they do a very good job. I have to admit I have never used these on my body as I've never had the need to however the way they work on my face and hands suggest they would be very good for that use as well - maybe I'll invest in a packet if I ever go to a festival - they would be brilliant for that!

Final Word:

For the reason I bought these - using whilst on holiday and at work they work brilliantly. I give them 4*s as I don't think I would ever replace my cleanse, tone and moisturise routine with them - for travelling and using on the go they are a must have for me now and I highly recommend them to everyone. They just wouldn't be as good for long term use in my opinion.

08.12.2012 21:44

Advantages

Disadvantages

Does What It Promises & More.

As you might be able to tell from reviews written in the past I am a pretty big make-up junkie, particularly eye make-up. Even in the daytime I guess I wear more eye make-up than most and then adding some false eyelashes at night to make the look bolder - as far as I'm concerned the bolder and darker my eyes look the better, however so much eye make-up can be very difficult to remove. Combine that with the fact that I have quite sensitive skin around my eyes and Im left with needing something pretty heavy duty to remove the make-up but something light enough that I wont get the dreaded red rings. No7 products have always worked very well for me in the past so when I got a voucher for the brand a while back I decided to treat myself to 'No7 Beautiful Skin Eye Make Up Remover' - as Id run out of my usual make-up remover and money off is always nice. Im happy to say that my little amount of money wasn't wasted - this is a really great product and one I have been using pretty much ever since!

- - - - - - - - -

Price: £8.50
              Stockists:Boots stores & their online website boots.com both stock this product.
              Other Info: One of the main reasons I bought this was because it said can remove even waterproof mascara but remains great for people with sensitive eyes - exactly what I was looking for. It is also fragrance free for people who get irritations from scented products.

- - - - - - - - -

Appearance:

This product comes in a transparent 100ml bottle - through which you can clearly see the liquid inside. Now it looks exactly the same in real life as it does in the image with this review - light and almost clear at the top and much brighter blue at the bottom - thats why the bottle does need shaking very well before you use it to mix all the liquid together as I don't think it will work as well otherwise. On the front and back of the bottle is all the necessary information about the product - directions for use, ingredients, shelf life (12M) etc - there is also an address and website you can write to should you have any unanswered questions or queries. At the top of the bottle is a thick lid which is pulled off to reveal the pump underneath - as far as I can tell this bottle is very secure and when it comes to application it is effective as well so I have no complaints. Yes I guess its not the most attractive in the world but for a product like this I don't think it needs to be - works well for me.

- - - - - - - - -

How To Wipe Away Your Day:

Using this couldn't be easier - simply press the pump 1 or 2 times onto a piece of cotton wool (depending on how much eye make-up you wear will depend on how much of this liquid you will need to use), as I mentioned on a daily basis I at least wear a few coats of mascara, liquid eyeliner and eyebrow pencil so I use 2 squirts each time I apply this. After that you just wipe over your eyes a few times with the cotton wool - gently massaging your eyes as you do so as that will ensure all trace of make-up is removed without any need for serious scrubbing. After that I tend to just apply some night cream as I use this just before going to bed each night. Using this is quick and simple and doesn't require any serious effort with scrubbing away at your eyes, it just feels gentle and really does the trick for me. Now the consistency of this product is probably going to be something that will put a few people off even using it as it is quite an oily and greasy liquid. That doesn't bother me as I don't use too much each time and as I have quite dry skin I think the extra bit of oil actually works well for me - however if you have oily skin to begin with OR use too much each time you will be left with a very oily residue on your face afterwards. Ive found as long as you shake the bottle quite well before you use it the liquid doesn't feel as oily and wont leave the residue behind - as long as you do that it wont be a problem.

- - - - - - - - -

Do My Eyes Look Make-Up Free Now?

The short answer would be yes they definitely do because this genuinely removes all trace of mascara, liquid eyeliner and even eyebrow pencil from my face - there are now flakes or black marks left behind at all with just a few swipes of this across each eye. My eyes feel softer after using this and when used correctly there is no oily film left behind on my skin. Best of all for me this does deliver the promises of being perfume free and suitable for sensitive skin. As I mentioned a lot of eye make-up removers leave red rings around my eyes because I have to scrub away at them so much but this doesn't happen when using this one at all - my eyes are just make-up free and super soft. It also delivers on the promise of removing waterproof mascara as well - I don't use that too often but when I do I tend to find it extremely hard to get rid of - but not when using this. Another thing I really like about this is how great it works at getting rid of the annoying glue bits left behind after Ive been wearing false eyelashes - the glue usually stains my eyes for ages after Ive taken them off but this removed all the bits left behind and the stains they create so for me it worked as well as promised and more!!

Final Word:

For me this works amazingly well and is everything I wanted from an eye make-up remover with some bonuses added in. I fully recommend this to pretty much everyone out there - but if you do have quite oily skin I can only imagine this might make it worse so Id avoid in that case. For everyone else out there though thats looking for a product like this that really works look no further, its quick and simple to use, really works and really is suitable for sensitive skin so I definitely recommend!

23.11.2012 02:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

You Won't Be Disappointed!

As many of you will know I just love anything to do with making my nails stand out and generally look better. Normally I opt for acrylics but being in a job that requires using my hands all the time they can break easily and chip so I've recently been going down the less expensive route of nail varnishes. Now having said that I also try and make them look good on a budget and personally would never have gone for a Nails Inc branded product before - simply because I didn't think in a million years something so simple could warrant their price tag - so I was very happy to receive a sample of this on my Glamour magazine about a month ago - none of the expensive price tag but getting to try out the product and see if it could ever live up to the hype. I cant believe I'm saying this but in the case of these nail varnishes ... the price tag actually matches up to the quality!! I have since gone out and bought more (at full whack) and they have continued to impress me, seriously if you like nail varnishes and are looking for a seriously quality brand, look no further!

Price: £11
                Stockists: This brand is stocked in Debenhams & House Of Fraser - usually at their own counters. Or free when you buy Decembers Glamour mag!
                Shades: Seriously like most nail varnish brands this one has pretty much every colour you could ever wish for so everyone is bound to find one that suits them and that they like. All named after places in London I believe so pick a random place and see if you like the matching colour - that's what I did with the first one I bought in store!

*As it's the first one I owned and tried the shade I'll be concentrating on is 'St James' - a bright red/pink shade'

Packaging:

Is actually pretty plain in honesty - probably wouldn't have attracted my attention just by sight alone if I was browsing in a shop. However it does look simple and classic and fits in very well with the brand as all the nail varnishes are packaged the same way - just with their unique shade showing through the bottle. Now mine came in a small black and silver box which had all the information on the product printed on there - ingredients, shelf life, shade etc and there is also a website & address on there you can write to with any other questions or queries about the product - that will prove useful for some people as the bottle has next to nothing printed on it at all. The bottle itself is pretty standard - a 10ml glass one that's transparent so you can clearly see the colour of varnish your buying, with a silver lid, attached to which is the brush applicator which sits inside. As I said nothing out of the ordinary there - but luckily your paying for whats inside not outside in this case.

- - - - - - - - -

Application:

I know many people find painting their nails quite fiddly and time consuming to do at home - especially when your painting the most dominant hand - the right on in my case always looks terrible no matter how much I practice and concentrate. However I didn't have a problem with this one at all - even when doing it in a rush. The applicator is just a nice length for me to apply this - and the bottle top although it may look chunky still is very easy to hold. I found 3 strokes with the slim brush is more than enough to coat my whole nail - not leaving any drip or brush marks and it was done in 5 minutes before I went out for the night. Now Nails Inc actually recommend applying a base coat, 2 colour coats and then a top coat but personally I don't find this necessary - it didn't stain my nails without a base coat, I had full and colourful coverage with just one colour coat, and it lasted forever without a top one - so if like me you just want them done and gone you don't need to go to lots of effort for your nails to look amazing in a short amount of time and to stay that way. Application is quick and easy, and with a drying time of about 2 minutes you can be out the door and off in no time at all.

- - - - - - - - -

The Shade:

As I mentioned the shade I started out with was called St James and is called on the website a bright red, which I guess is half right! When I saw this in the bottle I thought it was a fiery red kind of shade which appealed to me straight away as I like statement nails however when you apply this it does look slightly different. When applied Id say this is more of a bright red/bright pink - it all depends on how many coats you apply and it is much pinker in the light and daytime and then looks redder towards the night - which is great for me as its like 2 different looks in one day with minimal effort required from me! Id say this is more a Raspberry kind of colour than anything else but inevitably the colour gets darker and deeper the more coats you put on - which is why I tend to stick with one as then you get the 2 different shades in one. The other Nails Inc shades I've tried - Tate & Holland Park however look exactly the same on as they do in the bottle - so I think it might just be St James that looks a bit different. Not a problem for me as if anything I prefer the barbie pink look you get in the light, but if your looking for a deeper red look at others in the range.

The Results:

This is the area that you definitely get what you pay for because the results cant compare with any other nail varnish I've used in all honesty. My nails have a full colour, that's really striking and looks so glossy and finished (without the benefit of a top coat either!) that they could be mistaken for professional quality when in actual fact I've done them 5 minutes before walking out the door. I actually cannot believe how shiny and glossed this makes my nails look and best of all it lasts for ages! As I mentioned I work a lot with my hands so even professional acrylic nails tend to chip and wear away quite quickly but a coat of this managed to withstand work and day to day tasks without any chips appearing for nearly 4 days before I had to attempt a minor touch-up, now that may not seem like a lot but normal nail varnishes are lucky to last a day on my nails without looking chipped so that's a big difference for me. The individual varnishes and the brand as a whole has hugely impressed me - it really is a little luxury that is worth every penny for me personally. A huge range to choose from - and even though £11 is a lot pricier than any nail varnish I've bought before you are most definitely paying for quality, quality colours and finish that really does last.

I highly recommend this brand and its nail varnishes to everyone - and with Christmas coming up I don't think many people would be disappointed to receive one or a set of these! Worth that bit extra for what you get, I cant get enough. My new addiction!!

10.11.2012 20:11

Advantages

Disadvantages

Get Yourself A Pair!!

Im not really a trainer wearing kind of girl in all honesty. Over the years when I've wanted some comfy footwear Ive always gone for some ballet flats or some flat boots rather than trainers - but since getting into a relationship with a guy who owns more trainers than I own stilettos my opinions have changed somewhat. I now own far too many trainers - most of which were bought for me as gifts by the other half - the most recent gift was some 'Converse All Star Hi-Tops' which Id been looking at for so long in the shops but never got the money to buy as a treat for myself. If I hadn't been already partially converted these would have done the trick all on their own because they seriously are the best looking and comfiest shoes I own without a doubt and seriously I think everyone - male & female - should own a pair of these versatile + everyday shoes, they really are worth every penny ... as long as unlike me you can limit yourself to just 1 or maybe 2 pairs lol!!

Useful Information:
                  Price: My other half paid around £45 - but the prices varies depending on which style/colour you go for. Although mens & womens Hi-Tops cost the same.
                  Stockists: I found my ideal pair in Foot Locker, but these are sold all over the place - Schuh & FootAsylum websites and stores definitely stock these.
                  Colours: I think I've seen Hi-Tops in pretty much every colour you could imagine & a lot of patterns are available as well (my friend has Batman & The Joker ones which are ridiculously cool!) - I maybe played it a bit safe as I got Raspberry coloured which as you might guess is a very vivid & shocking pink, but everyone will certainly be able to find a pair that appeals to their sense of style from this range.
                  Sizes: From the Schuh website it looks like these come in sizes 3-8 for women + men - although more sizes might be available in stores - and I do recommend trying them on. Also Converse DON'T have half sizes, not an issue for me but for friends of mine I know it has been.

---------------------

Appearance:

Converse shoes are instantly recognisable in my opinion and with quite a bright pair like the ones I own they are pretty hard to miss when I'm wearing them. Starting at the bottom these have an incredibly thick, white sole with a pretty impressive grip on them I've found - the thick sole on the outer means they are also pretty padded on the inside, which I'm sure you'll guess is only a good thing as it makes them very comfortable to wear and to walk long distances in. working the way up the shoe is where the fabric comes in - bright pink in my case with a contrasting white front and laces all the way up the front - which makes them stand out from the brightly coloured fabric and once again is very fitting with the brand. On the back of the shoe is the All*Star writing and on the inside foot on the fabric is the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Logo - that confuses me slightly as I cant understand why it isn't on the outside part of the shoe as when your wearing them both logos are facing inwards - so no-one can see them when they're on - not a massive problem but that confused me! Having said that I like the design of the shoes is perfect - I love that the laces and bottoms really stand out from the fabric and the added depth on the bottoms not only makes the shoes look good but makes them better for wearing and more durable as well for me. The design of the ones I have certainly attracted my attention when walking past Foot Locker - and I'm sure they would for many girls out there!!

---------------------

Sizing:

I think its important to write a section on this because Converse sizing can be slightly strange. I am and always have been a size 5 in any shoe be that trainers, boots, heels whatever but when it cam to trying these on I had problems. A size 5 was simply too small and a size 6 was too big - big problem as, as I mentioned they don't sell half sizes and I had fallen in love with them! Luckily the lady I spoke to in the shop recommended some cushioned in soles and having bought them mine now fit me perfectly - even without if I tie the laces SUPER tight so the sizing was a bit of a pain for me - and others have said the same. These trainers are definitely try before you buy as even if you definite about what size foot you are they might not fit - they didn't in my experience anyway. Don't buy online unless they are not your first pair and you know you size in Converse!!

Wearing Them:

If you havent guessed yet I find these shoes incredibly comfortable and that alone makes them a joy to wear for me. The soles (with or without my in-soles) are very comfortable and cushioned due to them being slightly thicker than average and that means walking in these is very easy. They dont rub - even when you first buy and wear them and they never start to hurt or pinch your feet like other trainers and flats Ive attempted to walk long distances in. Some might argue that buying brightly coloured Hi-Tops will mean you cant wear them with as much as you could with plain black or white ones but this isnt the case for me. A simple t-shirt and skinny jeans is the look I normally go for with these as they are essentially a really casual shoe - and create enough of statement by themselves - helping to bring a bit of colour to my boring, casual clothes. Bright & comfy, wearing them is a joy for me - I even wore them with dresses and shorts while I was in Bulgaria and needed something flat for my nights out.

Will They Last?

Ive seen a few reviews that say these are a massive no-no if its raining but I only tend to agree with this slightly. Yes in a major rainfall the fabric parts of the shoe would end up being totally ruined however I've been out in the rain wearing mine a few times and seen no change at all in the appearance or condition of them. The white bottoms look as if they would get dirty really quickly as well but any mud or dirt that's been on mine has been removed so quickly with a quick baby-wipe across them and they still look good as new after having them and getting a lot of wear out of them for about 6 months now so in my opinion as long as you don't wear them out in torrential downpours these shoes should last a really long time before any scuffs or bad dirt appears - in that sense they are well worth the money as you will certainly get enough wear out of them.

Final Bits:

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Converse Hi-Tops to anyone, regardless of gender or colour preference - although obviously I think the Raspberry coloured ones are worth buying!! If you want some long lasting, comfortable and great designed shoes then look no further, I'm only going to continue adding to my collection with the DC comics range coming to my wardrobe next and I think everyone should own at least one pair of these amazing shoes!!

02.11.2012 21:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

Unleash Your Feline Side!

Having tried pretty much every mascara on the market today (I would guess since I own so many!) I know exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to this kind of product and I don't often get taken in by the latest gimmick. Ive often found the mascaras that claim to offer something REALLY new and different - opposed to the standard length and volume you hope for - don't tend to work so I don't get swayed easily by those kind of claims. However that changed when I saw this particular product hit the shelves 'Maybelline Volum' Express Cat Eyes Mascara' I had to have it for 2 reasons - 1. I'm a big fan of the whole flicked, cat eye look anyway so anything to help me create that is welcomed and 2. I really liked the leopard print packaging - awful reason to buy something I know. But it seems my first impressions weren't wrong because I absolutely adored this mascara from the minute I used it and have continued with it ever since, I guess sometimes gimmicks can work!!

---------------------

Useful Information:
                    Price: I paid around £8 for this mascara.
                    Stockists: I personally bought mine from Boots but Ive also seen it in Superdrug & online from Amazon so its not a hard one to find.
                    Shades: As far as I can tell from buying experience this is only available in Black.
                    Other Info: This mascara claims to have a collagen formula combined with a curved 'claw shape' brush for extending the look of your lashes - particularly the ones in the corners for a really long, fanned out 'cat eye' look.

Packaging:

As I already admitted the packaging was one of the main reasons I was drawn to this mascara in the first place - having somewhat of leopard print fetish I'm sure you'll understand the lapse! This mascara comes in a bright yellow, cone shaped tube and contains 9.5ml of the mascara. Bu the vest thing about it for me was on the tube is some leopard print in a striking gold colour making sure it really stands out - the rest of the information on the tube is also that colour as well making it a lot easier to read. All the information on this is printed on the back of the tube - shelf life (6M) and claims but sadly not much else. Now that doesn't bother me as I don't really need a long winded ingredient list but if anyone has allergies to things sometimes used to make mascara then it will be a downside - also there isn't an address or website to find extra information out from either, again that's not an issue for me but for others it might be. Like a standard mascara the top of the tub simply twists away to reveal the applicator brush tucked away on the inside - seems very secure to me, haven't had any problems with my tubes drying out quickly or anything like that so practical and a really nice design for me. But for people who need ingredients either keep away or attempt to find a list online first.

The Brush:

Anyone who has read a mascara review of mine in the past will know how much I hate companies who claim to have a new fancy shaped mascara brush because Ive found they don't work in most cases and simply don't deliver on the wild claims, however this one has made me change my mind ... never thought Id write that! As promised the brush is slightly curved but I found it was just the right shape to fit the shape of my natural lashes very well from root to tip and all the way across. None of the messy business I normally have when using curved brushes in fact I found applying this a lot easier and a lot quicker than usual - when I'm using a straight, standard brush. There's none of that trying desperately to reach the little corner lashes without leaving a splodge of mascara on your eyelid because this one gets them without even trying as they fit the natural lash shape so well. This has definitely made me think twice about different shaped brushes - sometimes they do work, and in this case make the job a whole lot easier!

The Mascara:

Seems like a bit of a strange section but I like to know a few things when it comes to the actual product before Ive used it - and not just what it looks like on. The consistency is a big factor I look for as often Ive found brands cant seem to get that just right texture between thick enough to make your lashes look thick and bold but thin enough so it doesn't dry out quickly and isn't a pain to apply. This one I'm happy to say is perfect for me a good amount comes out on the brush each time I come to apply and its thick enough to make a bold statement but not so thick my eyes feel weighed down - just what I was looking for. One small niggle which I find strange is this stuff has a very strange, almost chemical scent to it (very different to other mascaras in my opinion) luckily however the smell disappears when you apply it (Ive never been able to smell it anyway) and doesn't irritate my eyes or anything like that - again not a massive issue for me but people with skin that's sensitive to fragrance might want to watch out for that. Overall the mascara itself Ive been very impressed with - its exactly what I was looking for.

The Finished Look:

If someone could have tailor made me a mascara to fit in with my look I don't think they could have done a better job than this. Without mascara I have quite small and light lashes and the difference this makes to them is amazing - I have very thick and bold, statement lashes but with a LOT of length as well - without them looking over the top or the dreaded clumpiness that thick lashes sometimes creates. Ive had so many comments when wearing this from people asking me if I'm wearing false lashes so the difference for me without mascara and with is shocking. I think this is suitable for day and night wear as one coat will just open up your eyes a little with the thickness and length and then add a few coats for nighttime and it helps create a really bold look - particularly when teamed with some liquid eyeliner. Do I look like a cat? Probably not in all fairness but that's not why I bought this (I do the flicks with my eyeliner everyday anyway) but that's not why I bought this - I just wanted a mascara to team with my normal liquid liner look for a sometimes more dramatic effect and this has certainly delivered. I love this one and none of my little niggles about the dodgy smell would put me off using, buying and recommending this to others - so get out and buy yourself a tube!!

- As a quick footnote Ive also found this mascara to be very longlasting when your wearing it - no flakes or clumps as yet and its also very easy to remove with a quick swipe of eye make-up remover and all trace is gone, so no scrubbing your eyes red raw before bedtime with this one!

21.10.2012 23:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Stay Away Girls & Guys!!

When it comes to face washes rather than shopping around all the time I like to stick with what I know works. All through my teens I searched for the perfect face wash for me and found 9 times out of 10 that the face washes I was trying either dried out my skin quite badly or gave my skin a bit of a bad reaction - so rather than go through all that I attempt to use one I know works all the time. However when I ran out of my usual tube of facewash a few weeks back I found myself in a dilemma - weeks before payday so no way of replacing it & not wanting to go to work with a dirty face (lol) so I had no choice but to reach for the only facewash available to me at the time, my moms tube of 'Olay Gentle Cleansers - Refreshing Face Wash' - which obviously I was reluctant to try given previous experience. I shouldn't have bothered in all honesty this was hands down the most awful face wash I have ever used - which might shock some people considering the very positive reviews from others - but for me it was so awful and Id never use this again!!

------------------------------

Useful Information:
                    Price: From having a look around a few different websites this can be picked up pretty cheaply for around £3 for a 150ml tube.
                    Stockists: Boots, Superdrug + Amazon all stock this product.
                    Other Info: According to the Boots website this product is aimed at people with Dry, Normal & Combination skin so pretty much anyone SHOULD be able to use and get good results from this. It promises to lift away dirt and make-up to leave your skin cleansed and refreshed.

Packaging:

Pretty standard for a product of this kind - maybe a little boring but effective nonetheless and very fitting with the brand. The tube I have contains 130ml of the product (I believe my mom might have got this as part of an Olay set) and is white and light blue in colour. On the front and back of the tube is all the necessary information on the product - ingredients, directions for use, shelf life (12M) and there is also a website, phone number and address that you can contact the makers on should you have any extra questions. On the bottom of the tube is the usual flip top which is easy enough to open even with wet hands - I tend to use this in the shower - and seems to be very secure once closed so good for travelling and taking around with you should you need to. Standard and effective - but not particularly eye-catching.

Using It:

As I said I tend to use this whilst Im in the shower as you will need to apply this to wet skin for it to work better. You simply squeeze a pea size amount onto your hands, lather it up a bit and then massage it into your face and neck. Then dry your face and for best results (apparently) moisturise afterwards. Nothing out of the ordinary there - and using it actually is the one part that's easy . It lathers up pretty well and you only need a really small amount when using this so one tube will last a really long time and your not messing about for ages applying this and getting it off. If I was just going on ease of application alone I'd be singing this face washes praises.

Is That My Skin Flaking?:

Let me start this section by saying I would say I fit into the 'Normal' skin category - it gets occasionally dry when the weathers turns colder but not very badly at all and a quick bit of lotion on my face sorts that out straight away. However when using this it made my skin feel and look ridiculously dry. I applied some quite thick daytime moisturiser after using this as I was getting ready for work in the morning and even that didn't help at all. I noticed it more when it came to applying my foundation over the top my face looked like it had huge patches of dry skin everywhere particularly on my forehead and nose - places where I have never suffered from dry skin before and when you touched my face but actually started falling off. I think you'll agree that is NOT a good look for any woman - patchy face that sometimes flakes over the pillows - and sadly black work uniform!! My skin just felt and looked awful after using this - and I did try a few more times just to make sure it wasn't a one off, bad skin day and I've had the same end results every single time this product just didn't work on my skin - even though its aimed at my skin type among others. Don't get me wrong my face did feel cleaner after using this and to be totally fair it did remove any trace of make-up I was wearing - along with all natural oils from my skin though. Using this as a good way to remove make-up simply wouldn't make me want to use this again when my skin looked and felt the way it did afterwards.

Final Word:

I would never recommend anyone to use this - unless you have VERY oily skin and are looking for a product that will soak up a lot of oil from your face. If you have normal or dry skin stay away from this product as if its dry it will make it a million times worse and if your skins normal it will make it dry. This has returned to the bathroom shelf where it can stay as I wont be using it again and even though its cheap I wouldn't tell others to use this one either. Cheap but not cheerful at all!!

06.10.2012 21:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

Don't bother ... Take a trip to the salon!

As a girl who simply cannot abide bare nails I have tried TONNES of different nail polishes over the years. Some more subtle for everyday and then I'm always on the lookout for products that will make my nails stand out from the crowd a little bit. So when I saw this 'Barry M Instant Nail Effects - Crackle' on my shopping travels about a year ago I HAD to have it. It looked like it was an easy way to get something that looked really unique and professional but all in the comfort of my home - exactly the kind of thing I always look out for! I have to say I was bitterly disappointed - and thats something I have very rarely said about Barry M products, this one was such a let down for me!

Price: I think this is sold for around £3.99
                      Stockists: Boots, Superdrug, Amazon - I see this in a LOT of places so it is very widely available - should you still want to purchase after reading!
                      Colours: Now I bought this when it was very first released so I got the only shade available at the time Black - its not available in: Black, White, Pink, Blue, Purple & Gold.
                      Effects: As I mentioned I bought this for Crackle effects but it is now available in - Croc, Gel, Metallic & Foils.
                      Other Info: Promises to give you professional looking, and unique everytime you apply nails - all at home.

Packaging:

Pretty much what you'd expect from a nail varnish really. It comes in a small glass bottle through which you can see the colour of the product - in my case it was a black colour. At the top is a small black lid decorated all over with a gold 'crackle' effect basically showing you what this would look like when it comes to application. Not the most stand-out bottle ever but it does the job and gimick wise as its showing you what the results should be right there on it, its actually eye-catching, well it was for me anyway. As you would expect the brush is attached to the lid and fits inside the bottle - I've found the design to be quite cute and its effective. Not the most colourful or amazing by any means but thats not why I bought this. I don't actually have the bottle to hand whilst writing this review so I'm unsure to the extent of information about the product there is on there - however you can find everything out by looking at the Barry M website (anything that ISN'T on the bottle anyway).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Application:

Something that should be oh so simple and very quick *apparently* turned into a big chore for me when it came to applying this for the first time! Firstly you have to apply a colour for the base coat - when using the Black shade like I did Id recommend using a bright colour for that simply so the effect shows up better and you get a more striking look - I went for a white base coat personally. Then it comes to applying the effect - or gloop! I'm unsure whether I may have got a dodgy bottle of this but the consistency was so thick it was really hard to try and paint it on - when using this your supposed to do it in stripes and not go over bits that are already painted in the black - this will stop the effect from working. However when the liquid is so gloopy thats very hard to do especially if you've never used anything like this before. But I persevered and eventually did have every nail painted in this and beginning to crackle before my eyes. It takes a long time trying to get this right so if you haven't got time on your hands (and a bottle of nil varnish remover if it all goes wrong!) don't try this at home!! I've been painting my nails for years and usually find IM pretty quick at getting them done with minimal mess but due to the thickness of this one it took forever!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Results:

First off look pretty good. One of the main reasons I was attracted to buying this in the first place was that I wanted to have something unique and in all fairness this does offer something different each time you apply it. You do end up with a really nice cracked effect - one that looks slightly different on each nail and does look unique to you. However the finish a) doesn't last and b) feels so rough!! I'm a big lover of nice matte nails and I assumed I would get that from this - a nice patterned look without the patterned feel but sadly it didn't deliver. Even when I applied a clear varnish over the top my nails felt really rough and if anything that took something away from the pattern as even when dry (I made sure I wanted a VERY long time) it kind of smudges the cracks and changes it a little - even though it is recommended you put a clear varnish over the top. Also this just doesn't last! I think the first time I applied this (on hands and feet) it lasted only a few hours without chipping at all and no matter how many times I tried (thinking I was doing something wrong when applying) it never lasted without chipping for beyond about 24 hours. I wanted professional looking, long lasting patterned nails without a big salon price tag but going on the poor results and the lengthy application I just didn't get that with this product. The effects do look good don't get me wrong - very unique, but for all of a few hours sadly.

Final Thought:

Simply I wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for quirky fun nails at home. Yes going to the salon is expensive but the application is much easier, it looks so much better and doesn't chip or come off nearly as quickly as this one does so overall your actually saving yourself some time and money going to the nail bar - like I needed an excuse! It just didn't work as well as Id hoped and although it did look initially good, the cracks soon started to show!! Stay away from this one it just wasn't good enough.

• Toms Classic / Shoes / 36 Readings / 34 Ratings
                      29.08.2012 00:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Seriously buy them!! LOL.

As most of you will have guessed from my previous reviews I have something of a shoe addiction. However I have never really been one for comfortable footwear, often preferring to go down the skyscraper heels route rather than some nice comfy espadrilles! Having said that though I have to admit I got swept up in the TOMS craze some time ago now and bought myself a pair simply to see what all the fuss was about, and I havent looked back. When people say these shoes are super comfy they really arent lying - Im such a fan I now have these in at least 4 colours and Im rarely seen not wearing them now - Im a flat shoe convert - well 99% of the time anyway!!

Useful Information:
                      Price: I think pretty much every pair regardless of colour or where you buy from are around £35
                      Stockists: Schuh, Foot Asylum, Foot Locker, JD - pretty much every shoe shop now stocks this brand so they are VERY widely available.
                      Sizes + Colours: These come in pretty much every colour you could want (plus patterned ones) so there is a style to suit everybody with this brand. These also come in sizes 3-9 for women - despite the sizing being slightly iffy - more on that later!!
                      Other Info: This brand offers a 1for1 deal on it - this basically means that everytime you buy a pair of TOMS they also donate a pair to a child in need - so you get some nice shoes and do your bit for people less fortunate at the same time, for not a penny extra. Its not often shoe shopping actually makes you feel good about yourself. Although I do use that as an excuse to buy more!!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Appearance:

Now some would argue that TOMS are not the most attractive footwear on the market and to an extent I agree - not that they look bad but they arent the best by far. I only think that because normally I have quite flamboyant shoes and these are far plainer than I would normally go for - my main pair (and the focus of this review) being the plain Black colour. The main part of the shoe is made from a black canvas like material thats very soft on your feet and luckily doesnt pick up dirt too easily - I despise having to clean my shoes so thats a bonus for me!! The sole pf the shoe on the outside is white rubber - pretty standard in my opinion (but made for better durabilty apparantly) and the inside made of leather. Again the inside is VERY soft and much comfier than I initially expected in all honesty. I expected the leather to make my feet feel a bit sticky - particularly because I often wear these on hot days but I havent had any problems with that so far so I have been surprised. Inside the shoe is an added arch for support (according to the Schuh website) and I have to say it totally works - but more on how comfortable I find these later!! The outside also has the 2 brand tags on it - one at the very back and another in the middle - so brand concious people - everyone will be able to see your shoes are pricey! Haha. As I said looks wise they arent the most eye-catching or attractive - but they are great for everyday wear - and all the materials make for a really great, comfy and long lasting pair of shoes - and I never thought Id say this but in this case thats better than them being super eye-catching! Oh and because they are slightly plainer it means they can be used all the time - they go with literally everything!!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Are they as comfortable as people say?

In short yes. These seriously are the most comfortable shoes you will ever own ... FACT. Some people say that TOMS are basically slippers you can wear outside and having worn them for quite a while now I have to say I agree. These are the perfect balance between looking like shoes you can wear out without people staring and yet feeling like your feet are tucked up in your fluffy slippers! The support on the inside of the sole definitely helps me because it actually feels like my feet are really cushioned - and speaking as someone who is on my feet all day at work these are a god send - I dont go home with tired and achy feet anymore because these are so comfortable I can stand for long periods of time. They take a little bit of wearing in but once you do these fit your feet well without being too tight or too lose - they have the perfect fit for me (after an initial wobble!) which makes them comfier. Slippers you can wear outside!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Ahhhh F*%$K they don't fit!!:

That right there is the sentence I think came out of my mouth when I opened my very first pair because the sizing is a bit strange for these. As I bought these online I didnt bother checking out size guides (or reading any customer reviews "|) and just went with my usual size 5. That was slightly silly of me because the sizing for TOMS is a little different. My size 5's now fit me perfectly - after a couple of days of squeezing my feet into them and them rubbing the hell out of me - but at first they were nearly impossible to put on. One of 2 things I recommend when buying TOMS - go to a shop and try them on is the first - if youve never bought the brand before I cannot recommend that highly enough or the 2nd being order half a size or a full size up to save squeezing a stretching them like I had to. When I replaced my TOMS and bought new pairs I went with a size 6 and they fit perfectly straight away now and having read other customer reviews it seems many people have this problem - so try before you buy!!

Do they last?:

As with any shoes these will last as long as you take care of them. One thing I will say is dont wear these out in the rain!! Not only will you never be able to get the smell of damp out of your shoes but it weakens the outside material so much that holes will start to appear - Im talking from experience here! Other than that though Ive found these to be very long lasting - currently I wear my black pair to work and have done so for about 7 months now. Other than general fading which I would expect from wearing them everyday theres nothing wrong with them at all. The inside and outside soles are still perfect, the cushion still works and is as comfy as ever and when they do get slightly dirty they are easy enough to quickly clean with a baby wipe. So longevity wise they are definately worth the money as I'll still get quite a bit of wear out of this pair.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Advantages:

* Comfy
                      * Last a really long time.
                      * LOADS of colours to chose from
                      * Suitable for everyday wear.
                      * The brands 1for1 deal.

Disadvantages:

* Sizing is slightly iffy if youve never bought them before.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Overall I'd definitely recommend these shoes. Even if they arent your usual style they are prefect for wearing all the time and comfortable for your feet - and make them look good too! The sizing is a problem but not enough for me to knock off a star - remember though do try before you buy!

Thanks Fot Reading.

13.08.2012 18:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

1,000,000% 5*s from me!!

When it comes to styling my hair at home I've never really been one for using a hairdryer. I tend to find that when I do it makes my hair a lot harder to manage and makes it look a lot frizzier - and the split ends more noticeable so I would much prefer to let it dry naturally than use a hairdryer. However that method is very time consuming as I have very long hair that takes a VERY long time to dry all by itself and when in a rush before work or before a night out that's not the most ideal way to go so a few months back I thought I'd buy myself a hairdryer just for the occasions that I simply don't have time. Now knowing absolutely nothing about hairdryers due to total lack of experience I have to admit I went with one of the first ones I found that had decent reviews from other users - the 'Babyliss Turbo Power Hairdryer' luckily my first impressions on this hairdryer were totally accurate is it is actually amazing - I'm now blow-drying over natural drying all the time - its saving me hours in a week!!

Useful Information:
                        Price: I believe when I bought this I got it for around £20 but the cheapest I have found today is around £22 - I guess prices on this vary quite a bit so make sure you shop around before you buy!
                        Stockists: Amazon - where I purchased mine. Boots & Superdrug also have this online - unsure whether they stock this one in store though!!
                        Other Info: This hairdryer is said to offer a special conditioning technology to ensure an anti-frizz style and result - one of the main things I bought this for because as I mentioned I find hairdryers make my hair very frizzy! This Babyliss hairdryer also comes with a 3year guarantee as standard - perfect for people like me who have VERY bad luck with electrical products of any kind!

Appearance & A Few Technical Bits & Bobs:

Design wise it looks pretty standard for a hairdryer - although very striking nonetheless. I've had a lot of people comment on this saying its rather large for a hairdryer - I don't think it is however it's still the perfect size to hold in your hand without it being too heavy or be too big to hold comfortably - if you're looking for a more travel sized hairdryer though then maybe this isn't the one for you. Anyway back to the design - this hairdryer is silver and black in colour - very professional looking in my opinion - and in normal design has the nozzle sticking out from the top and the handle protruding from the bottom attached to the lead and plug - more on that later!! I think this is more of a professional looking dryer because there are plenty of buttons all over it offering special added features - at first for something of a hair dryer virgin I found that a bit daunting because I had no idea how to use anything but now I'm so happy I bought a more professional dryer. Don't worry about the design looking a bit complicated it isn't in the slightest. A very professional looking dryer in my opinion.

I have to be honest as I'm writing this review I'm intending to throw the box that this came in, in the bin as simply I don't have use for it anymore as I don't use this anywhere but at home but there is some information on the box that others might find useful -

* Information on all the buttons and their uses - again more on that later.
                        * Styling tips for literally anything you want to do with your hair that requires a dryer.
                        * How to use it - with or without the added concentrator nozzle
                        * Also a customer care helpline and email address for more questions or queries.

The Nozzle & Buttons:

As I said for someone who was once very inexperienced with hairdryers I found all the buttons slightly confusing so I thought I'd add this section to shed a bit of light on what each one does and where it positioned - for hairdryer virgins:

The Heat & Speed Switches:

These to switches are placed on the back of the handle and have 3 different settings on each so you can control the exact heat and the exact speed you need each time you use this. Personally I normally have it on the middle heat and middle speed. If I have it any higher I think my hair would be blowing about everywhere and it would be far too hot on my head - but obviously it's nice to have the choice and as everyone has different hair types and can withstand different amounts of heat each person's opinions on what they like will vary - a pretty standard feature I would assumed but a very important one nevertheless. The buttons are very well positioned to switch around should you chose whilst using it - and they don't just slip to different settings while you're using it so I am very pleased with this feature.

The Turbo & Cool Shots:

The turbo button is designed for giving your hair a really fast and intense shot of heat when you first start drying your hair - its meant to be basically a quick way of getting a lot of the excess moisture off your hair before it comes to drying the rest of it and styling it and it definitely works - at times I do find it slightly too hot for my head to handle BUT because you only use it for such a short time it's not unbearable in any way. The cool shot button I have to admit I haven't use that much but on the few occasions I have it has worked wonders. The cool button is designed to be used is designed to be used after all the heat to help cool your hair down and helps set it in place very well - I like that the cool button is added because sometimes my hair gets VERY hot whilst using this and it's nice to have the option to cool it down slightly before I start styling it properly - the juries out for me on whether it helps my style set in place as I often use Straighteners and curlers afterwards but for people who prefer the more natural, wavy blow-dried style I think it will work absolute wonders for you.

I do have one slight issue with these buttons - they are placed in an awkward position I find. They are right at the top, inside the handle and my hand often slips onto them when I'm in the middle of just drying my hair and a quick shot of heat when I'm not expecting it is not good! Also the buttons are quite tight to press - even though I've owned and used this for quite a while now, so I like the fact the buttons are included but they aren't placed as good as they could have been.

The Nozzle:

The nozzle is quite an important feature because it's that little part that is supposed to prevent your hair from becoming frizzy. And I have to say it actually does work - when used in the right way of course. The nozzle is easy to attach and thankfully doesn't keep falling off whilst your using it - some others I've attempted to use in the past have been very flimsy. The nozzle works best when used alongside a brush to really control your hair rather than giving it an all over blast of heat just to dry it rather than attempt any kind of style. I definitely agree the nozzle helps control frizz - as I've mentioned previously hairdryers normally make my non frizzy hair look like I've been dragged through a hedge but when using this I've been amazed with the results. This helps my hair look glossy and healthy rather than bedraggled and messy and so its 100% my favourite feature of this dryer.

Using It:

Using this is incredibly easy - believe me when I say all the added features don't make this complicated at all as at the end of the day this works perfectly fine whether your using it as a normal hairdryer OR with all the professional, funky features. It's easy to hold without being too heavy or awkward to hold and manoeuvre, it saves me SO much time in getting ready because genuinely this dried my hair in less than 5 minutes - and I have very long hair so most people will find its even quicker than that for them depending on your hair length and thickness and one thing I really like is the plug length - however strange that may sound! I've found before when using hairdryers the cord is really short and it makes it more difficult to use or move around with but this one is pretty long so I can comfortably use it and walk around the room to an extent - sounds like a strange thing to add to my review but it's worth mentioning in my opinion! Easy to use for sure - for hairdryer virgins and professionals alike!

The Results:

In case you hadn't guessed by now I'm over the moon with this hairdryer! The best thing about it obviously is the way it makes my hair look and feel afterwards which without blowing my own trumpet is pretty damn amazing. I've shied away from hairdryers in the past because yes they are a massive time saver but they don't do anything good for my hair - but this one does. It saves me tonnes of time getting ready but also makes my hair look and feel fantastic afterwards as well. Rather than looking frizzy my hair looks soft and shiny and is so much easier to manage and style afterwards as well and my hair feels so healthy and soft with no sign of frizz anywhere to be found. These results last on my hair very well until the next time I wash and restyle it so the effects aren't just short term they will last a good few days - or until your hair gets to need another wash. The anti-frizz was the main thing that attracted me to this one in the first place so I'm very happy that it actually works in that respect - it does manage to live up to all the claims it makes.

-------------------------

Advantages:

* Ease of use for beginners as well.
                        * All the different buttons - good for different hair types.
                        * Looks and feels very professional to use.
                        * Pretty cheap.
                        * Look of hair afterwards.
                        * Feel of hair afterwards.
                        * Anti-frizz technology actually works.

Disadvantages:

* The position of some buttons is a bit awkward.

As a final note though I would definitely recommend this hairdryer to literally anyone because it has something for every hair type/length and for whatever you like to do with your hair as its perfect for styling or just a quick dry. Don't worry if you're not a professional this would also be a great 'starter' hairdryer!

05.08.2012 17:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

My Dye Of Choice =D

I've been a very proud unnatural redhead now since I was about 13 - I've tried tonnes of different dyes and colours over the years but as far as I'm concerned bright red is the shade for me! I stuck to one brand of hair dye for years and years but a few months back I started getting annoyed that my bright shade wasn't lasting as long as I wanted it to so I started a search for another brand - hopefully the same kind of colour but one that wouldn't fade quite so quickly. This 'Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Colour' in shade Fiery Red was the one I opted for after much searching and I'm happy to say I don't think I'll ever look back. I've got the colour I adore and it lasts without fading so much longer than my previous brand did.

------------------------

Useful Information:
                        Price: Around £5.49 - The Ultra Colour range of dyes is often on a 2 for £8 deal though!!
                        Stockists: Boots, Superdrug & Amazon - this brand is very widely available.
                        Shades: I personally use shade 6.60 - Fiery Red however this dye comes in plenty of shades for everyone: blondes, browns, reds and black so you're bound to find a colour you like and that will suit you.
                        Other Info: This dye not only promises to keep your colour looking vibrant without fading for up to 8 weeks but also claims to have a new anti-drying formula due to added - Shea butter, avocado, olive and blackcurrant. I find when I first dye my hair it becomes ridiculously dry for quite a while afterwards so the promise of this one being anti-drying really appealed to me personally.

Packaging & Contents:

The packaging for this dye is pretty much what you'd expect from a product like this. It comes in a cardboard box which on the front has a picture of a woman with the colour hair that you're hoping for - to be honest the woman on this box is how I recognise the shade - I keep forgetting the name of it! On the front, back and sides of the box is a LOT of information on the product for anyone who wants to find out more - ingredients (on the bottom of the box), safety instructions for using the dye, the length of the colour (in this case permanent) and a colour chart of the hopeful results depending on your natural shade. There is so much info on the box that I think any questions about the dye should be answered however if your question isn't answered there is also a website address and phone numbers printed on the box for additional queries. Inside the box there should be:

A bottle of developer crème
                        A tube of colour crème
                        A bottle of the after dye conditioner
                        A pair of disposable gloves

There should also be a leaflet in the pack explaining how to use it and such if you've never applied an at home dye before. One thing I will say is always check the box BEFORE you buy on a number of occasions I've got home to find one of the key products missing - usually the colour crème so always check the contents before you buy to make sure they're all there when you come to using it. The packaging is very informative and very eye catching as well - it definitely caught my eye in Boots.

Application & Ease of use:

*Before I write this section there is a warning before applying this: You are supposed to do a skin test 48 hours before you dye your hair just to make sure you aren't allergic to the dye. The instructions on how to do that are written in the leaflet in the pack.*

Getting ready to apply this is very simple - squeeze the colour crème into the developer crème bottle shake and apply all over your head - or just on your roots if it's just a quick touch-up. Before application I recommend putting a layer of Vaseline around the areas that the dye can get that isn't your hair - forehead, ears, neck etc because that means if the dye does get on these areas it won't stain your skin and can be wiped off in seconds. I don't consider the excess dye to be a disadvantage about this product though because I've found that with every dye I've ever used. Now I normally get someone else to apply this on me because I feel they can see my hair better at the back and can ensure it's all covered properly but it's actually really easy to apply yourself as well. In the few times I've dyed my hair myself with this I haven't had a problem with missing any areas out or putting more on some parts than others so don't worry you won't end up looking two-toned - unless of course that's the look your going for!

One thing I really like about using this dye (which might sound strange!) is the smell. I often find hair dyes smell far too chemical and they kind of insult my nose slightly when I have to use them. However this one has a really nice fruity smell to it instead of the harsh chemical one so I can wear this without the smell being too strong for me or anyone else in the house - and it lasts on my hair even after I've washed it a few times as well! One last thing is if you have long hair like me I recommend using 2 boxes of this dye on your hair just to make sure everywhere is covered evenly and you don't miss anywhere out!! All in all it's easy to apply yourself and washes out fairly quickly afterwards as well (you leave this one on for 25 minutes!), and best of all it smells gorgeous!

Getting it out:

I know I mentioned previously that this washes out fairly quickly after dying but I thought I'd add this section to mention the conditioner also. I've found that this when washing this out the water starts to run clear after just a few minutes which when compared to my previous dye is amazingly quick! At first this will look as if there's a bloodbath in the shower but 2 minutes later the water should be running totally clear (even if you have used 2 bottles of dye like me!) - my old hair dye used to run out pretty much everytime I washed my hair for about 2 weeks so I liked that this one was a lot quicker. The conditioner is definitely worth mentioning in this case I think - because it's actually really brilliant. I've never thought much of conditioners that come with hair dyes because as I said I find my hair is often quite dry afterwards so I don't think they work 99% of the time. However in this case the conditioner that comes included is really good - it leaves my hair feeling really soft, looking glossy and as its scented with the same fragrance as the dye - smelling great. That smell and feeling even lasts on my hair once I've styled it so I end up with great looking colour and the condition of my hair looks great as well - it's an added bonus for me definitely.

Colour & Longevity:

For me the shade this dye creates on my hair is totally perfect - the exact colour that I think suits me the best - not to toot my own horn or anything! I have naturally medium brown hair so this dye creates a very vibrant, glossy looking red on my hair that is very bright and noticeable without being too over the top. It actually does look exactly the woman on the box' colour when its first done so the colour on the box is very true to life - should you have medium-ish brown hair like me anyway. I always get really nice comments on my hair when I've used this and because it's a slightly less OTT version of bright red I think that makes it stand out more since bright red hair has become so popular with us women. The longevity for this dye actually really amazed me because it lasts far longer than the dye I previously used. Now I know all red dyes fade very fast so that makes the 4-5 weeks my hair stays vibrant and bright quite amazing really - and even after that it does start to fade but roots don't come through as quickly so it doesn't need dying as much as I used to. As even when the colour starts to fade slightly it doesn't look terrible - after about 6-7 weeks the roots do start to show through and as the colour is so bright they are very noticeable so make sure you've got a bottle on hand for quick dying emergencies!

My overall opinion:

Seriously I have nothing bad to say about this dye. It's easy for me to apply myself quickly and without any disasters, the colour is amazing and actually lasts a long time on my hair, it definitely makes my hair feel and look a lot better - and not just with the colour with the quality as well & (this shouldn't be a thing to usually mention but it is) it smells great! If you're looking for a red dye which looks bright and vibrant enough to make a statement but not be too over the top then look no further this is the one for you! I don't think I'll ever change my dye because simply this one works so well I'll never need to. I highly recommend this dye - I'll be buying it ... forever I guess!

25.07.2012 18:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

My bedtime secret!!

I've wrote quite a few reviews over my time on this site all based around my search for the perfect night's sleep. I don't have trouble sleeping all the time but I go through phases where I have periods of being simply unable to fall asleep. Once I've nodded off I can sleep for hours but it's the actual falling asleep I sometimes have issues with so I always like to have products on hand to use when these troubles crop up. I've tried many things over the years and none of them have seemed to work too well - or they work for a while and then my body becomes used to them and they stop so I'm always searching for new products to use. I actually came across this 'Champneys Relaxing Pillow Mist' by chance - my mom got a large set for Christmas and she didn't think much of this particular product so I got the opportunity to try it out - and I actually love it! One woman's rubbish is another's ... good night's sleep!!

Price: Around £7.50 - 50ml bottles
                          Stockists: Boots & their website & this is also available straight from Champneys websites.
                          Other Info: This is a professional spa formula and I guess a product they actually use in a Champneys spa - made me feel a bit fancy using it if I'm totally honest. This product is also dermatologically tested so it should be fine to use even if you have sometimes sensitive skin - Champneys are the self appointed professionals after all!

The packaging for this spray is very simple yet classy - which fits in with the brand name very well in my opinion. It comes in a clear, glass 50ml bottle with purple and gold lettering all over it - I do have one query related to that but more on that later. Printed all over the front and back of the bottle is all the necessary information on the product - claims, directions for use, background information on the brand, shelf life (24M) but strangely enough there are no ingredients. I assumed with such a high class brand there would be a list of ingredients for allergy sufferers - it doesn't bother me so much but if you have any allergies to items sometimes used in this kind of product I recommend checking their website out. My one issue with the packaging is the lettering is actually quite hard to read because it's so light against the transparent bottle - once again I can mostly read this so it's not a massive issue but for people with sight problems it will be a problem. At the top of the bottle is a chunky gold pull-off lid which is very easy to remove and put back on, underneath is the usual push down nozzle - nothing out of the ordinary there. As I said simple, mostly effective & very classy packaging - Id definitely look twice at this in a store.

Using this spray is very simple - although with it being such a high end brand Champneys do offer some professional advice! Apparently to make this work at maximum effectiveness its best to have a nice long bath before spritzing this all over your pillow and bed linen and getting into bed for a *hopefully* nice long sleep! I have to admit I don't think it effects the results too much whether you have a bath beforehand or not but I can see how that would make you more relaxed and maybe really benefit some people - I'm not a 'bath person' though so I don't tend to use it that way very often. A few quick sprays of this on my pillow and I'm good to go ... to sleep! The scent of this spray is very much what you'd expect from a sleep aid as it is very standard - very nice but exactly what I was expecting. You might guess this smells very strongly of lavender - which as that's known as a natural sleep aid is very fitting for a product of this type. The smell is very pleasant - not amazing but I don't think it needs to be really - just the right intensity as it's easy to smell but not so strong the scent would actually keep you awake instead. It's actually very pleasant - I look forward to bedtime for smelling this to be honest.

I'm very happy to report this genuinely works wonders for me. I now use this every single night - not just when I'm having a problem falling asleep as it's become part of my night time routine, I even took it on holiday with me!! The scent instantly relaxes me and I think my brain has started to associate the scent of this with a good night's rest because whenever I use it I fall asleep so much quicker and even wake up in the morning feeling more rested and relaxed than I normally would. I would definitely say this is the best natural sleeping aid I've ever used and I'm very happy I got to try it out for free before I go and purchase myself another bottle. This spray really works for me personally and there's nothing better than a really good night's sleep in my opinion so for that reason alone I fully recommend this. If you have troubled sleep or just if you fancy a really relaxing night sleep every now and again this is the perfect product for you. I highly recommend this - I guess the professionals really do know best!!

17.06.2012 20:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

Possibly the best ... :)

Anyone who has ever read any of my mascara reviews will know Im on the search for the perfect one. A mascara that does everything - gives length and volume without looking clumpy - and one that can transform my eyes for a night out but also give me a natural daytime look as well. Alas it seems thats an impossible search as I never seem to be totally won over by any mascara Ive ever tried and that means I try a LOT of brands in my never ending search. This 'Clinique High Impact Mascara' was the latest addtion to my make-up kit and I have to admit it wouldnt have been a brand Id have picked myself to try - but I can never resist testing out a freebie and this particular one came with my Glamour magazine a few months back. I have to say I think the search for the perfect mascara might finally be over - I have been VERY impressed with this little beauty!!

Useful Information:
                          Price: Around £16 - so not the cheapest mascara by a long shot!
                          Stockists: Clinique products are mainly sold in places like Debenhams & House of Fraser - they do also have a website clinique.co.uk - I guess that might be slightly cheaper than buying it in store! As I mentioned I got mine as a freebie so Im not 100% certain on that!!
                          Shades: This mascara comes in shades Black (the one I own) & Black/Brown.
                          Other Info: Promises to add maximum volume as well as giving your lashes definition and length - what more could a girl ask for?!

Packaging wise this is just simple and mini sized in my case - one thing I really liked about it as Im planning on taking it on holiday, although if you buy this in store I guess the tube would be larger. The packaging is darkgreen/black in colour and the information is printed in silver so no-one should have any problems reading all thats printed on there. As usual the information avout the product is printed all over the tube - cautions, shelf life (6M) and the brand and product shade - there are no ingredients on my tube (perhaps because I have the mini one) and although thats personally not an issue it might effect people who ahve allergies to ingredients found in this type of product. Opening is the same as normal, simply unscrew the top to reveal the brush attached ti the lid inside - nothing out of the ordinary there. Simple packaging and despite its mini size very effective for me - its still as easy to hold and use as regular sized tubes.

Im pleased to say the brush for this mascara is ... TOTALLY NORMAL! I have a problem when brands release mascaras with fancy shaped brushes that are designed to do all sorts and then 9 times out of 10 fail to deliver. Im much happier whenthe brush is just straight and the bristles are average - which is the case with this one. As the brush shape is so normal it makes applying it much easier for me as it seems to fit the natural shape of my lashes really well - and because its straight I can get to the pesky bottom and corner lashes with ease without smudging the mascara all over my face like Ive tended to do with other brands! Also the standard brush shape ensures just the right amount of liquid is picked up each time you use this meaning your not left waiting forever for your eyelashes to dry before you can go out or end up pumping the brush a million times because it feels so dry. The brush shape and ease of application is always a big bonus for me and this one definitely covers everything I wanted in that respect!

Im even more pleased to report that the end result on my eyelashes also looks fanastic - even if I do say so myself! Ive been looking for so long for a mascara that will work for both day and night looks - in the day for work when I want something a bit more natural and at night when I want something really striking. And I think I might have finally found the answer in this one! One coat of this in the morning for work just creates a wide eyed look - even on about 3 hours sleep after a cheeky drink the night before and two coats really makes my eyes look more dramatic and dark for the night when Im out partying once again hehe. This mascara I would say makes my lashes look darker and thicker than any other Ive ever tried before - it gives me a really dark, dramatic look without leaving behind any clumps or making me look too over the top. It also makes my lashes look at least twice as long as they do without mascara - people have even started asking me if I wear false eyelahes all the time because the difference is that noticable. Even I can see that this makes the world of difference to any look Im going for as it even makes me look more wide eyed and fresh - and even though Ive been alternating this with a few other brands Ive been trying out this one has remained one I will go back and use time and time again.

I genuinely cannot think of a single bad thing to say about this mascara - its easy to apply, looks great on, can be used in the day or at night, makes my lashes look thicker than ever and longer as an added bonus ... oh and its also easy to remove, a few quick wipes with a baby wipe and this is totally gone. Dont take that to mean that the look isnt long lasting though as Ive never had any problem with this clumping or flaking off my lashes throughout the day so its very hard wearing! I cannot recommend this highly enough as its probably the best mascara Ive ever tried and I'll 100000% be going back for more when my freebie tube runs out, I recommend all you ladies out there give this a go as well! 5*s from me because for once ... I have no critisms!