* Prices may differ from that shown
Genius MousePen, I suppose, belongs to the category of generic graphics tablets and, frankly speaking, I don't know any non-generic tablets apart from Wacom. While big designers will probably never touch anything but an iMac and a Wacom, Genius tablets nevertheless get reviewed every now and then in magazines like Photoshop Creative and receive quite decent comments. In fact, it was after reading one of such reviews that I decided to try a MousePen tablet. So here's what I think about it....
1. Genius MousePen is a fairly cheap tablet. The 8x6 cost me about £40 a year ago. I am sure one can get it even cheaper now.
2. It does the job and I use it to do commercial illustrations. My customers are happy.
3. I found it particularly good with imitating pencil drawings. Its surface and the scratchy sound it makes (that disturbs some people) even intensify this real pencil drawing impression.
4. If you use MousePen with a fast computer, it can be just as good as a Wacom Intuos. This is my personal impression though.
5. The outer layer of the drawing area can be peeled off allowing one to put a sketch under it and just draw on it. Not sure whether it's a good technique or not. I do not use it, but I know it exists.
6. The tablet drivers are very easy to install and, unlike Wacom, is does not appear to be very choosy about the operating system it runs on.
1. The pen is not your Wacom stylus at all and it has a battery inside. I dropped the pen once on a hard floor and it immediately died. I had to order a new pen from the United States and it cost me about £20.
2. The tablet is a bit noisy and it annoys some people. Not me though.
3. Genius MousePen is good for imitating pencil drawings, but doesn't seem to be that strong at painting. Although it must be my retarded computer.
4. The tablet comes with a wireless mouse which is pretty useless. Be prepared to put the mouse aside immediately and forget about it.
Conclusion: Having been using the MousePen tablet for about a year now, I am not disappointed. I will be using it for as long as it works and if it goes, it goes. I will miss it. It is a good solution both for those who want to draw on a computer as a hobby and for those who cannot afford expensive equipment for their graphic work.