Product Type: Prestige Appliances microwaves
Newest Review: ... the warrantee would only cover three years. The appliance was fully functional for an entire year, in which there wasn't even a single ... more
Prestige GS25 Microwave Oven 25Ltr Capacity with a built-in Grill to keep your food cold.
Member Name: TheGoodSurveyer
Advantages: Very good while it lasts
Disadvantages: 1 year life-span
I bought this microwave oven for a reasonable price, or so it seemed at the time. I got it from Comet, where I was advised that it was one of the best microwave ovens, which they were selling at the time. It cost me seventy pounds, and they were trying their best to persuade me that I must purchase the extended warrantee. The appliance alone was expensive enough, and I had no intention of spending extra money on warrantee, because I've never before had a microwave oven that lasted less than four years, while the warrantee would only cover three years. The appliance was fully functional for an entire year, in which there wasn't even a single fault. A few days after the warrantee ran out (a year after the date of purchase), the heating system in the microwave oven failed. The plate continued to rotate, the light worked fine, and the food remained cold.
The microwave oven looks great from the outside, has a good capacity, but the short life-span considering the cost drags down its rating.
The microwave oven has a very simple interface, with the basic requirements of a general microwave oven and built-in grill. It doesn't take much effort to learn to operate it, and to make things easier, the door has a handle which can be used to open it, which I'd say - is a more practical design for the appliance than a push button design.
The power cable isn't particularly long, but not too short to need to use an extension cord, unless the mains socket is over a metre and a half away. In our kitchen, that's never been a problem.
This microwave oven would have been an excellent appliance, had the life-span been a few years, rather than only one. What I found a bit strange is - the microwave oven's heating system worked perfectly, and only failed when the warrantee ran out. This somewhat suggests that the appliance may be made to last an accurate length of time, as long as its usage level is average. The other thing is that replacing the heating system is quite costly, even if the labour costs are cheap or you repair it yourself. The parts aren't so cheap to get, so you'd be better off buying a new microwave oven.
I'd say avoid purchasing this microwave, unless you like to eat all your food cold - and you like to watch your cold food moving around in a heat-free microwave oven.
Summary: 25 litre microwave oven with grill, keeps your food cold after one year.
|Ease of use:|
More reviews in the field of Microwave
- Sainsbury's Stainless Steel Microwave
- Perfect low-cost Microwave
- Too good to go to the car boot
- It does what it says on the box.
- I wasn't seeing red over this gift!
- a very easy to use, good quality, although expensive microwave
- Good product for a reasonable price, but with a few bad points.
- The Sharpest bit of kit in the kitchen (in it's heyday!)
- Panasonic microwave - defrost
- A sleek shiny machine
- Hotpoint MWH222.1X Microwave Oven Halogen Grill 900W 24L Stainless Steel
- Bosch HMT84M651B Compact Microwave Oven 900W 25 Litres Brushed Steel
- Samsung CE107V-B Microwave Oven 28 Litres 900W Combination Black
- Bosch HMT75G451B Microwave Grill 800W 17 Litres Brushed Steel
- Baumatic BMC461SS 34 Litre Compact Combination Microwave Oven
- Bosch HMT84M661B Compact Microwave Oven 900W 25 Litres Black
- Samsung GE 71M-X/XEG
- LG MS 2042 DS
- LG MB 3942 U
- Candy CMG 25D CB