Whirlpool Jet Chef JT369 31l 1000w Microwave Combi Oven.
This machine is fantastic. I have had this machine for about two years now, with no complaints. It is easy to clean, has a good light so it is easy to see what you are cooking. It has a vast range of functions including:
* 6th Sense Steam function - this steams your food, meat, fish, veggies or rice. It works quickly and efficiently. A steamer is provided that will hold enough food for up to four people. Much easier than having multiple saucepans on the hob, just put it all in here, set the oven and walk away.
* Jet Defrost - Defrosts frozen food much faster than a standard microwave. For example, a chicken fillet will take less than two minutes from frozen to thawed. This has made a big difference as if I get home from work late at night and have forgotten to get something out of the freezer in the morning to defrost, I can still have it for dinner that night by using this function.
* Crisp Function - this is good for bread and dough based products as well as veg. Cooks pizzas to perfection. A special "crisp tray" is provided with a removable handle. It is fantastic for making mini roasts as well. Living on my own, making a full blown roast isn't very practical or economical. By placing some baking parchment on the tray, pop on some chopped potatoes/parsnip/swede etc, set the crisp function to around 7 minutes and BOOM - proper roasties! This function also produces lovely crispy baked potatoes in around 12 minutes (Using potatoes kept in the fridge. Potatoes at room temperature would take less time to cook.)
* Jet Start - This simply starts the microwave, each press of the button increases the cooking time by 30 seconds. I use this for most things as it saves time and does the job well. Veggies from frozen take around 2mins 30s using this function.
* Forced Air - This enables the machine to be used as a conventional oven. You can put the timer on for up to 90 minutes, if you need to cook for longer, just restart the timer after the first 90 minutes has ended. It is possible to pre-heat the oven first by pressing this button twice before use. This then uses the grill to heat up the body of the oven to the required temperature. The temperature is always displayed on the front of the machine so you can keep an eye on it.
* Grill function - Normal grill function using the supplied rack. It is handy and works well but the grill is a little tricky to clean, mainly because I am quite short and find it difficult to reach all the way to the back.
. I live alone and use it to do everything from roasts, steaming veg, baking cakes, etc etc. The steamer that is supplied is a little large for one but I just use a smaller generic version for rice etc and it does the job well. No more putting rice on the hob, walking away and before you know it, it has burnt! the controls are easy to get the hang of and after reading the manual i was well away. i use it to cook for just myself and friends also. it is big enough to fit a good sized chicken or joint of meat and yet small enough not to take up too much space on the work top. the grill is also very handy although i use a health grill most of the time. would highly recommend for one person or small families/students. Whirlpool customer service is second to none.