Product Type: Nokia mobile phones
Newest Review: ... such as making calls and sending texts, as well as having a great Camera that out performs almost all other camera phones since then this i... more
My Iphone wannabe
Member Name: ask_eve
Advantages: great camera, easy to use, nice design.
Disadvantages: Slow at times.
My grandaughter has been on at me for some time to get a new mobile phone that's more "in with the times". Apparently my Samsung d900 was unfashionable and a 'brick'. She took me into a phone shop when we shopping and got me looking at the newest realeased phones. I can't say I wasn't interested when I saw some of the modern phones with high megapixel cameras and touchsreens!
The salesman was very helpful in choosing me nice (and expensive!) phones, reeling off their specs like I'm meant to know what he's on about. The Nokia N8 caught my grandaughters attention and the salesman talked about it with great enthusiasm saying how it's similar to the Iphone but cheaper and better. My grandaughter egged me on saying it was a good price for a brand new phone that had only come out that week, so i thought I'd treat myself for a change and get it.
I'm paying £38 a month for the phone, which includes unlimited internet access and texts, 1000 minutes call time and I think it was 30Gb of downloads each month. (Might be Mb's, I'm not sure.)
I've never owned a touchscreen phone, I've always been very button-compatable but according to my grandaughter, touch-screen is a must have feature these days.
Using the phone:
The phone is actually simple to use after a talkthrough with my grandaughter. I quickly got used to pressing the screen rather than navigating through the menu with buttons. It's one button, to get onto the menu and you can select where you want to go from there. It is hard to scroll down, i.e when reading a text as the bar at the side is tiny and my fingers aren't. I also find the texting quite awkard and I'm much slower than I was on buttons, but this may be just because I'm not used to using the touchscreen. It was fiddly tring to open the little flap on the side to put the memory card and sim card in too.
Memory: 16gb internal.
Dimensions: 113.5 x 59.1 x 12.9 mm, 86 cc
Weight: 135 g
The 12mp camera attracted me to the phone the most I think, and I couldn't wait to have a play with it. There's a button on the right hand side to access the camera quickly and easily. From there, you an point and shoot, or change the settings, with things like a self timer, face detect, sharpness and contrast. You can also change the flash type or turn it off to get the pictures you desire. The camera is quick, and doesn't spend ages loading the picture after you've taken it like my old one had. The image quality is brilliant. I was wowed by the quality of a photograph from a phone. The images are bright and clear and look really good when you print them too. I also used the video camera with the grandson, and it was great video and sound quality. I think this is my favourite feature on the phone.
You can lock the phone from a little sliding button on the right side of the phone which I really like as it's so quick to lock and unlock it. When the phone's locked, a clock is displayed on it with the date below which is useful too.
The phone can be personalised easily, with three home pages that you can put widgets on and change the backgrounds of. I haven't put any widgets on mine, I just have the clock and date at the top and a photo of the grandkids too. You can change the theme of the phone, which changes the menu icons and colour of the writing. The ringtone was easy to locate and change too, and there were plenty of preset tones on the phone to use before my grandaughter put some music on it for me.
The charger with the phone baffled me a bit, I thought it was too small to plug in but you have to slide the top pin up into the position to plug it in which I thought was very different and modern. It also comes with a USB lead so you can put your pictures and music on the computer.
The touchscreen is very sensitive and works really well. You don't have to press the screen, just touch it gently and it works.
I have yet to use the downloadable apps but will update the review when I do.
When I bought the phone it was only available in silver or black and I had the black, but now you can get them in a variety of nice different colours like gold, orange and blue. You can also get a variety of cases and skins for the phone which I highly recommend because I do think if this phone gets dropped it's not going to survice! It seems quite fragile. Ebay has a nice choice for the cases and screen protectors for about £5.00.
The phone is quite bulky and long in shape, and my grandaughter called my old one a brick! It's a bit of a pain to put this in your pocket but it's not bad if it's in your handbag. I find it easy to hold beause of the shape and size of it.
The bad bits:
- I don't think much of the internet on the phone. A lot of the time it won't connect and it's really slow. My daughter has an iphone and if we search the same thing, hers comes up about a minute before mine does. For a new phone I'd expected a much faster internet really.
- The phone can be quite slow. When you're texting if you text a little too quick, the phone has to catch up with you, and sometimes when you open a menu there's a delay before it comes on, again for a brand new phone, you'd expect it to be very fast.
- The main screens, I thought it would be like the iphone where you could put icons on the main screen, like the messages, so you can just click them rather than going through the menu, but you can't and I would really have liked that.
- Quite a few times the phone has said 'No sim card inserted' when the sim hasn't been taken out or loosened, It means I can't text or use it for a while, but it normally sorts itself out after half an hour or so.
- When I first had the phone, I was using it throughout the day without a problem, but on the night time, it turned itself off and when I put it on, the screen was just white and then it would go off again. The battery was charged but it kept doing that for about a day, then it was fine again. It hasn't happened since.
The good bits:
- The camera is fantastic and I use it a lot.
- The sound quality when you play music on it is really good, and it can be quite loud too.
- The ringing and messaging tones are very loud so I always hear it.
- It's easy to use and get used to, even for an old 'un like me.
- Good memory, on the phone itself and the expandable memory so you can have lots of pictures and music on it .
- Fantastic battery life. I've used it all day, played music on it, texted and made calls and the battery is still full at the end of the day. It's much much better than that on the iphone.
Overall, I love the phone. I don't think it is as good as the Iphone, but obviously the camera and flash is much better and it's got a great battery life so It's good for me. I would recommend this to others, I dont regret buying it and will enjoy using it.
Summary: A great, modern phone.
|Ease of use:|
|Variety of features:|