Product Type: Sony Ericsson mobile phones
Newest Review: ... of coke). It was released 8 years ago - can't believe it was that long ago! And has now discontinued due to the larger range of phones out... more
Lets twist again!
Sony Ericsson S700i
Member Name: k444tmc
Sony Ericsson S700i
Advantages: can be picked up cheap now -
Disadvantages: it doesnt swim in coke (doesnt come back to life after being dried out)
The S700i was released by Sony Ericcson back in 2004 and in my opinion was the start of a very long line of great mobiles from Sony Ericcson. It came available in just one colour - silver - which suited everyone. In my opinion this was probably the first amazing phone Sony Ericcson released.
The Sony Ericcson S700i was the first "decent, modern" mobile phone that I have ever owned after taking out my first contract. One of my friends actually had this phone before me and I was utterly bedazzled by it. I was attracted to the phone for a number of reasons main ones being design and number of great features.
The phone itself is a curved rectangular shape at first glance. As previously mentioned the phone comes only in silver and comes with a 2.3" 262K color TFT LCD display which takes up most of the front of the phone with the exception of a couple of buttons to work the easy to use navigation menu that you see on all Sony Ericcsons. The main design feature to sell the phone to me is the fact that the top half of the phone does a "swival" meconism to reveal the number keypad under. I think this looks really attractive but a great thing this could stop is accidental dialling whilst the phone is in your pocket - older phones like this normally didn't have any sort of keypad protection. The keypad buttons under are of a good size and quite firm and easy to put. The under part and buttons here are also silver like the top.
The phone to me was a bit thick and on the bulky side due to the swival feature / two layers the phone has. So be aware of this. For those interested in the exact spec it weighs 137g and the dimensions are : 108 x 49 x 25 mm .
Ease of use
The reason why I love the iPhone so much now is all down to Sony Ericcson and their similar menu style and easy to use navigation. Rather than having to scroll through different options on the phone you have little icons there in front of you and you just click to the facility in the phone you need. In my opinion, like the iPhone, Sony Ericcsons are by far the easiest phones you can use.
This phone literally did everything that every other phone back in 2004 could not do. The best bits for me were:
* The 1.3 MP camera located on the back (which also had a manual closing lens cover for protection) - The picture quality when transfering to a PC was also pretty decent and the pictures came out a good size!
* Using it as an MP3 player (which could easily be done from your computer using an included USB cable)
* Capable of playing ACTUAL videos and downloading new ones (as well as a video recorder)
* You could use your own MP3's as ringtones / message tones (unheard of on phones back then)
* Java games - which were a step up from the very old "snake" style games everyone had back then!
* New picture messaging (MMS) option as well as your normal text and now had email
* Bluetooth to transfer files between phones
* Radio (which could be listened to when earphones were connected)
* Internet (although back then this was not very good, as was using WAP / no 3G back then... to be honest this didn't really bother me as the internet then was nothing like it is today!)
The Worst bits
Honestly... I don't think there was anything I could really say negative about this phone. Apart from the fact it lasted me about 4 months due to me dropping it in a full cup of coke from McDonalds made me realise this phone actually doesn't like Coke very much... I dried the battery out and even went to lengths to replace the battery to no avail. Sadly I also wasn't insured which was a bit of waste of money as previously mentioned it was on contract.
However I cannot fault the phone too much as in general it was great, for its time had really decent speakers (which you tend to get on all Sony Ericcsons), easy to use, not slow / laggish, durable, (in the sense that it used to get dropped and thrown everywhere and only eventually died when dropped in a large cup of coke). It was released 8 years ago - can't believe it was that long ago! And has now discontinued due to the larger range of phones out with much better spec and features. At present there is a used S700i on Amazon for just £24.99 but I'm sure if you find someone with this lying round as a spare phone in their house you can get it much cheaper.
Summary: one of the greatest mobiles of its time!
|Ease of use:|
|Variety of features:|