Newest Review: ... very pleased to win the auction for this lightly used bike as £315 is cheap. I picked up the bike a few days later and was quite happy as ... more
Jialing JL 250 B3 2005
Member Name: 001maz
Date: 26/09/10, updated on 03/08/11 (265 review reads)
Advantages: Comfy pleasure to ride, Wind protection, Luggage space, 75 mpg
Disadvantages: Usual scooter plastics cracked things.
I own a Jialing JL250, had it for over a month. Its a Honda Helix copy made registered in 2005, so its 5 years old now.
The reason I'm writing this is to let others know what a great ride it is. I've had dozens of bikes and after years of cars, I started back at 57 on a 50cc two stroke Yamaha Jogr , this was great, nippy but not good enough or legal to gonto the motorway. Next I (again) renovated a free Yamaha XJ550, which was great, did an easy ton, but was a little pig and even worse after i put a top box on it for my shopping, stretching the old leg over and not kicking the box, also no wind protection. In the end I test drove a good mates Jialing 250, and I was thrilled with it! The fun had come back to biking, smooth accelleration, wind protection, luggage space (extra fitted top box). Its got faults, rubbish exhaust, fitted a car type on, evil standard tyres, fast rust metal, 60-70 mph top speed (in Kmh).
So he got Yam and I got the Jialing, were both well happy,
Most of the spares are Honda CN250 from 95 on, there are many clones of this bike, the best are totally based on the CN250, the japanese treat these as we treat Italian scooters, and spend lots of money on them. I get people leaning out of vans shouting "I like ya bike", etc, so dont discount them, because of Chinese bias. The factory it was made in was owned by Honda, just cheaper labour and less carbon in the steel.
Here is my update,
Jialing JL 250 TB. (The Honeymoon's over)
I've had this scooter a week short of a year, rose tinted glasses went about 9 months ago. Recently its drove me nuts mainly for: ( but not only )
1. Quickrust frame tubing, having removed the monkey puzzle front plastics ( same as Helix ) and strip out the huge leading link front forks, and rust-cure the forks, grease, and re-paint etc. Its a chore and the fronts now great, passed MOT etc but who needs it? Overtightened hub bearings and under greased from new.
2. I must have spent dozens of hours reconfiguring the exhaust to accept a reverse cone mega ( which was to loud - my fault ( ordered it of choice ) result - noisy and occasional simulated gunshots as passing frightened pedestrians.
3. This vehicle is the scooter version of "Christine" the American 1958 Plymouth Fury that Stephen King wrote about, only its black and silver, and this one doesn't fix it self - you do it - lots of time.
4. At the moment , Its not charging and I've narrowed it down to the regulator/rectifier. This happened after I put it on ebay. I don't believe in conning buyers so its off sale.
Good points: When its right, its a comfy, practical do loads of shopping, ride in the rain (German rear tyre) no problem - stay almost dry 62 mph nippy thing. Also a very useful garden chair with windbreak.
Sorry for my over- enthusiasm
Am considering removing all the panels and getting rid of the fuel pump (disaster waiting to happen) and adding a fuel tank nearly copying one I've seen in matt black.
In a nut-shell, Its the Chinese version of a decent scooter but made without consideration for the buyer, almost criminal rusting metal using low carbon/noodles, not giving a hoot if you get killed on it.
PS If you see me pushing it, say Hello! - Maz
Summary: Would get another, two basic types, other is CH250 type is shorter.
|on skiddy terrain:|
|on dry terrain:|
More reviews in the field of Motorcycle
- The best selling bike in the boom years of motorcycling
- A sewing machine motor on wheels
- Triumph Thunderbird
- Made in china, but does it live up to the Italian Piaggio standard?
- Buying motorcycles on E-bay can seriously damage your wallet
- Solid Reliable Cheap and fast!
- Exactly what you'd expect...awesomely insane
- Honda CBR 125R - Its The Bike For The Amateur Badman!
- CG 125 standing in for Harley!
- Teaching Hollie to be a little Hell's Angel!