Newest Review: ... is also some education for parents too with the "Safety Tips for Around the Home", which is included as part of the bonus feature... more
The Wiggles"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" DVD - Dance along with The Wiggles
The Wiggles - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing (DVD)
Member Name: maxwell_star
The Wiggles - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing (DVD)
Date: 19/03/12, updated on 16/04/12 (77 review reads)
Advantages: Fun, educational, great songs, great dancing, great extras, great price
Disadvantages: The songs will get stuck in your head, a few songs aren't as good as others
- Why I bought -
My ten month old son adores the Wiggles. I used to find songs for him to watch on YouTube but then I found a few of their DVDs on play.com for a great price, including The Wiggles "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing".
- Who are The Wiggles? -
The Wiggles are an Australian children's band whose members include: Anthony Field, Murray Cook, Jeff Fatt and Greg Page (until 2006) who was then replaced by Sam Moran (2006-2012). It has recently been announced that Greg Page is returning to the Wiggles and will replace Sam Moran. Since 1991 they have been performing classic children's songs as well as some of their own musical creations, accompanied by energetic and fun dancing. They aim to entertain but also educate pre-school children. Each Wiggle, as they are known, has an associated colour which is usually the colour of their outfits. Lead singers Greg Page and Sam Moran wear yellow, Jeff wears purple, Murray wears red and Anthony wears blue. Other recurring characters in the show include Dorothy the Dinosaur, Captain Feathersword, Henry the Octopus and Wags the Dog. There is also a large group of Wiggly dancers. The Wiggles have achieved worldwide success.
- The DVD -
The Wiggles "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is a collection of songs with the usual fun dancing you expect from The Wiggles, released in 2009. Running time is approximately 89 minutes and the DVD has a Universal rating.
A brief summary of what's included on the DVD and a critique:
1) Introduction - The Wiggles introduce themsleves
2) You Make Me Feel Like Dancing (Featuring Leo Sayer) - My son's Favourite. The Wiggles sing with Leo Sayer wearing a variety of different outfits. A very catchy song.
3) Dr. Knickerbocker - Sam counts to nine dressed as a doctor while the other Wiggles copy his dance moves. A good song that's also educational.
4) Sailor Went To Sea/Hornpipe - We are informed the Hornpie was invented by the British Navy to keep the sailors fit. A well known song that is catchy. The sailor outfits are good.
5) Old Dan Tucker (Featuring Troy Cassar-Daley) - Another favourite. The Wiggles dress in country style outfits and dance along to this old American song, acting out the story at the same time.
6) One Finger One Thumb - Another well known song. Fun for older children to join in with.
7) The Shimmie Shake! - A catchy song with a fun 60s vibe and great dancing from The Wiggles and backing dancers.
8) The Fairy Dance - Dorothy the Dinosaur counts ten dancing fairies. A nice song and educational counting.
9) Day-O (AKA the Banana Boat Song) - Another well known song with a sailor theme and great dancing. An appearance is made by Anthony's cute baby son.
10) Swedish Rhapsody - The Wiggles dance the Polka with girls in ball gowns. Pleasant dancing but this doesn't really hold my sons interest.
11) La Bamba - A classic that was number one in the charts when I was born! Impressive Latin dancing and The Wiggles play instruments.
12) I Drive the Big Red Car - A song about the Big Red Car. I think they have better songs about the car.
13) (Are You Ready?) Do the Bus Stop - Disco dancing with Dorothy the Dinosaur. A fun dance older children could follow. Anthony's baby son is the bus driver which is sweet!
14) Follow the Leader - I brilliant song that entertains my son even though he doesn't quite get the idea of copying the dancing. A great song for older children to join in with.
15) Tales of the Vienna Woods - The Wiggles dance the Waltz with girls in ball gowns. Pleasant dancing but this doesn't really hold my sons interest.
16) To Have a Tea Party - Another of my son's favourites and one I can't help sing along with! Dorothy the Dinosaur lists the things you would need for a tea party.
17) The Mooche - A jazz style song with The Wiggles dressed as cats in suits. Kind of bizarre!
18) First in Line - The Wiggles and the Wiggly dancers form a Conga line. Fun and especially good for older children that could also form a Conga line!
19) Swinging on a Swing - The Wiggles push each other on a big swing. Quite a slow song so it doesn't appeal to my son.
20) Country Garden - A well known song. A bit slow for my son but the dancing and costumes are pretty.
21) We're All Friends - The Wiggles, Wags, Dorothy, Henry and Captain Feathersword sing about being friends. This is a sweet song.
Bonus Features include:
- Two Bonus Episodes: Henry the Octopus Visits Gawa, Henry Returns to Gawa - Henry the Octopus visit Gawa. Children learn about travelling on an aeoroplane and about the culture of Gawa. These are quite long episodes so they are great for bonus material.
- 'Thank You' Message from Anthony Wiggle - A long piece of text rolls up the screen thanking everyone involved.
- Safety Tips for Around the Home - Useful safety information for adults about how to make different areas of your house safe for children.
- Photo Gallery - My son enjoyed looking at the photos.
- My Opinion -
The Wiggles "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is great entertainment with catchy songs, fun dance routines, bright colours and entertaining characters with the usual Wiggles members and Sam Moran as the yellow Wiggle. It also has an educational element to it, teaching children about different styles of dancing such as Ballroom, Disco and Latin, and teaching counting in the track "Dr. Knickerbocker". There is also some education for parents too with the "Safety Tips for Around the Home", which is included as part of the bonus features. In mine and my son's opinions the best tracks on this DVD are "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" which features Leo Sayer. We both find this track hilarious, him because of the high pitched singing and the crazy dancing and me because it is just so cheesy! "Old Dan Tucker" is a great track with cute outfits and dancing and featuring Troy Cassar-Daley who has a lovely voice. We are also fans of "The Shimmie Shake" which has a lovely 60s vibe. I have to say there are a few tracks where my little boy gets a bit bored but this doesn't really detract from the overall entertainment of the DVD because he loves the majority of the songs. My little boy is quite young to be such a huge fan and I think this DVD will last us a few years yet.
- Price and Availability -
I bought this DVD on play.com for around £3 with free postage. It is available from HMV.com and Amazon for a similar price. This is very good value for over an hour of entertainment.
- Would I Recommend? -
I would definitely recommend this DVD and The Wiggles in general to anyone with young children. My son really enjoys it and there is no sign of him getting bored yet.
Summary: A DVD full of catchy tunes and crazy dancing