Newest Review: ... one of the museum's shops and a cafe. The museum is enormous and you could easily spend several days exploring it, I, like most peo... more
Rich in artifacts, bathing in culture
British Museum (London)
Member Name: tiaw
British Museum (London)
Date: 25/05/10, updated on 25/05/10 (21 review reads)
Advantages: The extensive, varied collections
Disadvantages: Often quite crowded
Situated near Tottenham Court Road in the centre of London, the British Museum astounds from the moment you walk in the front door. Immediately you are faced with the immaculate sight of the Great Court and it's uniquely angled glass roof. There's a large wide circular reading room in the centre which is almost absent of outside noise (and cool to have a walk around and explore even if you don't plan on reading).
Then there are the many interesting collections. Every corner of the world has it's own exhibition hall or in some cases, entire wing. Examples include Ancient Egypt, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas. Europe, naturally, is quite thoroughly represented.
Overall the collections are astoundingly comprehensive, not to mention extremely interesting. Even if you are not an ordinary museum goer - the British Museum surely has something that will appeal to you. Whether it's sculptures, paitings, precious jewels and bronzes, or perhaps more famously - the Rossetta Stone, it's just a fascinating place to visit. And the best part of it all is - entry is free.
While I wouldn't say it's essential for brief visitors to London, I would say it has a distinct edge over the Tate Modern. They are different styles really - modern and ancient - and so it really depends on your tastes and interests. Still, it sounds shameful, but you should at least pop in for a glimpse and a photograph of the Great Hall.
(partially taken from my blog post: http://thereisanotherworld.wordpress.com/museums-g alleries/)
Summary: Bridging on essential for visitors to London.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- W5: Worth it?
- Northern Ireland's Best Museum!
- Amazing day out, with Dick Turpin.
- I went for Thomas.
- So much more than just a Motor Museum!
- A Hidden Treasure(r)
- Lions, bears and Highland cows
- Edwards Heath's last gift to the public
- A fabulous Freebie Day Out for the family
- Behind the scenes of Harry Potter - Phenomenal
- Grey Point Fort (Northern Ireland)
- Birnham Arrts & Conference Centre
- Hornby Visitor Centre (Kent)
- Chesters Roman Fort and Museum (Hadrians Wall)
- The Herschel Museum of Astronomy
- German Underground Hospital (Jersey)
- Scottish Power Planetarium (Glasgow)
- Tenement House (Glasgow)
- Hadrian Exhibition: Empire and Conflict (London)
- Bodmin Jail (Bodmin)