Newest Review: ... opinion was reached through a couple of key activities rather than the museum as a whole. The best bits for the children was seeing th... more
Squashed in with the dinosaurs
Dinosaur Isle (Sandown)
Member Name: enoodles
Dinosaur Isle (Sandown)
Advantages: Kids can touch and hold real dinosaur bones
Disadvantages: Small and far too many people
Mixed views for Dinosaur Isle. Located in Sandown on the Isle of Wight we visited Dinsosaur Isle on a wet weekday in August - and so did everyone else! This little museum was absolutely packed and after queing to get in we then shuffled awkwardly round the displays trying to get a glimpse of the exhibits.
Our children are 7 and 5 and dinosuar mad - they really enjoyed themselves but this opinion was reached through a couple of key activities rather than the museum as a whole. The best bits for the children was seeing the large dinosaur models and holding a real dinasaur bone (the man in this part of the exhibition was absoultey brilliant - very informative/ patient and even got out a tigers skull for them to touch which had major wow factor).
What was disapointing was the interactive element to the museum for which they had to wait a long time to have a go on anything and also the fact that they couldnt have a go at 'finding' bones and fossils in the sand displays as there were too many mums parked up allowing toddlers to use the sand boxes as play areas.
I am unable to comment too much on the content of the written info posted around the displays as the sheer number of people at the venue made it almost impossible to look at anything in too much detail.
The toilets at the venue were very nice, clean and easy to find at the beginning of the exhibit.
The museum shop looked good, however very uncomfortable again due to the sheer volume of people. Unfortunately there is no cafe/ eating facilities which would have been nice.
Dinosaur Isle is easy to find and the car park is close to the venue - parking is £4 but you can get the money back for this if you enter the museum.
So mixed opinions on Dinosaur Isle - could have been good but they had allowed too many people to enter for the small size of the venue.
Summary: Could have been good but too many people allowed in.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- A real bricks and mortar museum!
- 5,000 years of history in on building
- Fun but not cheap either
- Rip Off not Ripley's!
- An hour spent with Hairy Jack
- Kids, this is where Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends Lives!
- Take a stroll through the past!
- The Making of Harry Potter -Warner bros. studio tour London
- W5 Belfast - a child's dream toyshop!
- See Where the Magic is Made! - Warner Bros Harry Potter studio tour.
- Aeroventure Museum (Doncaster)
- The Crystal (London)
- Maritime Museum of Ireland (Dublin)
- Whittington Castle (Shropshire)
- The Dinosaur Museum (Dorchester)
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (Dorset)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- Oxford University Museum of Natural History (Oxford)
- The Oriental Museum (Durham)
- Arbeia Roman Fort and Museum (South Shields)