Newest Review: ... exterior has a glass front through which you can see some of the exhibits and activities, and there is a large multicoloured illuminated ... more
A life-saver for mums with energetic inquisitive toddlers!
Eureka Museum (Halifax)
Member Name: lucy-cello
Eureka Museum (Halifax)
Advantages: Really well designed with kids at the heart of everything
Disadvantages: Cafe menu limited; busy at weekends and holidays
I joined Eureka last year whilst pregnant with my 2nd child and it was an absolute life saver! Somewhere for my energetic toddler to run around a learn things at the same time, whilst I could watch and enjoy. She's two now and finds something new to experience every time we go. Her favourite activity is the toddler-height touch-screen computer in the 'sound garden' where she can paint a butterfly and then watch it 'fly' onto the projection screen... she could spend hours there. And through the summer the huge outdoor sandpit was definitely a hit.
The best thing about Eureka is that they've obviously consulted with mums/dads and children at every level. There are separate areas for under-5s and baby areas within even these, and lots for older kids that we've not really been to yet.
Weekdays are the best time I'd say to visit as it's empty enough to be calm but busy enough to keep my little one occupied. The cafe menu can be a bit limited but there's a train carriage outside for picnics that my little one loves visiting... and they do take-out coffee for the grown ups :-)
Summary: Definitely worth a visit... don't miss the sound garden for little ones!
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- car enthusiasts dream day out
- New Walk Museum
- surely chocolate is more fun than this?
- The Galleries of Justice - Go back three centuries
- Still A Dicken's of a Flop
- 1st Class Experience
- Toddler to granny. . . .toys for everyone!
- I didn't believe it . . . until I saw it!
- You haven't been a tourist in Cardiff if you haven't been here..
- History of the democratic people!
- Aeroventure Museum (Doncaster)
- The Crystal (London)
- Cliffe Castle Museum (Keighley)
- The Herschel Museum of Astronomy
- Gallery of Modern Art (Glasgow)
- Cambridge & County Folk Museum
- Wells & Mendip Museum (Wells)
- The Puzzling Place (Keswick)
- Cumberland Pencil Museum (Keswick)
- National Motor Museum (Hampshire)