Newest Review: ... as they don't seem fully sized or in a great condition. There are also some strange pointless additions to the collection like a puffin ... more
Hancock Museum open at last
Hancock Museum (Newcastle)
Author Name: vamppir8
Hancock Museum (Newcastle)
Advantages: It's free.
Disadvantages: Too many to liist.
I thought it was very poor and would not visit again. Most items on display were either copies, reproductions, casts, models, or duplicates, including plastic fish and an elephant. If you like being spoon fed this is the place to go. The lighting was so bad is some cases you could not see the item on display. Coins were so far from the glass you could not see them. There is obviously a structural fault upstairs as items in cases wobbled alarmingly as people walked by. Lettering was already worn off of some signage. Why animals in a museum? It's not a zoo! not that they were there (quarantined). You could not hear dialogue from information points because it was so noisy. The glass cases had children's finger smear round adult viewing height. No staff only ones in shops. Where is rest of stuff? Victorian? Ceramics? Industrial heritage? etc? etc? Fine for a place for 5 year olds to run around like maniacs. Give me glass cases any day. It seems that all these modern museums care about is the quantity of people coming through the door so they can get their grants. A good 20% of the touchy feely stuff was already broken/missing and this is the second week of the holidays. Planetarium closed! It's a good job it's free because you wouldn't pay to go in. You have to pay to visit York museum, well worth it in comparison, York is everything a museum should be. I cannot understand why they have dumbed it down so much and spent so much money when there are plenty of other places in Newcastle for hyperactive kids to go and bang buttons.
Summary: Avoid like the plague.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- Free music and comedy: well done Hartlepool
- An excellent musuem, and its FREE
- All I can say is WOW
- The World Comes to Liverpool
- Kids, this is where Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends Lives!
- Take a stroll through the past!
- The Making of Harry Potter -Warner bros. studio tour London
- W5 Belfast - a child's dream toyshop!
- See Where the Magic is Made! - Warner Bros Harry Potter studio tour.
- Desire Unbound (London)
- Grey Point Fort (Northern Ireland)
- Birnham Arrts & Conference Centre
- The Dinosaur Museum (Dorchester)
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (Dorset)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- East Anglian Railway Museum (Colchester)
- National Tramway Museum (Crich, Matlock)
- Sutton Windmill and Broads Museum (Sutton)
- Katharina Fritsch (London)