Newest Review: ... nephew and children of my own. The range of engines that is on display at the National Rail Museum is fantastic. From the iconic, high spe... more
Jump about the Rocket!!! All aboard!
National Railway Museum (York)
Member Name: sazzy68
National Railway Museum (York)
Advantages: Great indoor attraction, entry is free, great for all the family.
Disadvantages: Parking costs £8.00 a day!
The National Railway Museum in York is a fantastic free, day out! Situated behind York Railway Station and clearly signposted it appeals to both younger children and those a little bit older! I have visited this week with my children (6 and 9 years old), their grandparents and my sister (30) and we all had a great day. Inside the engine shed's there is a turntable which is currently part of a display demonstrating how a roll on, roll off ferry works, many engines including a Japanese express train, Euro tunnel and more vintage models such as a replica model of Stevenson's Rocket and The Mallard. There a range of hands on exhibits and games, particularly outside in The Learning Platform. We watched a super free children's performance which explained in a range of practical ways how the railways use power to make them work. The enabler was entertaining for both adults and children and explained theories such as friction using practical demonstrations and help from the audience!
After this we had a ride outside on the replica rocket along the track, this was an additional cost of £1.00 for children and £1.50 for adults. It was an exciting and informative trip, bringing history to life. Younger children may enjoy a ride on the miniature train for a small additional cost.
We had our lunch on the platform cafe which was busy but food is good and varied but does come at a cost. There is a new range of child friendly food, a sandwich bag with 5 items including cheese, crisps, a drink, yoghurt and a sandwich costs £3.50. There are also picnic areas both inside and out where visitor's can take there own food.
There is usually a free activity inside, on this occassion my boys made a cardboard rocket using paper fasteners. Staff were very encouraging and child friendly.
A great day out!
Summary: A great day out for all the family!
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- The Free & Cultural Heart Of Birmingham
- Read all about it! Remember to pick up your free Victorian newspaper!
- free fun filled day out
- Great museum - "It's not your-eka, it's MY-reka!"
- Every tiny little detail can be seen
- 1st Class Experience
- Toddler to granny. . . .toys for everyone!
- I didn't believe it . . . until I saw it!
- You haven't been a tourist in Cardiff if you haven't been here..
- History of the democratic people!
- Grey Point Fort (Northern Ireland)
- Birnham Arrts & Conference Centre
- Chesters Roman Fort and Museum (Hadrians Wall)
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (Dorset)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- Pollock's Toy Museum (London)
- Finch Foundry (Devon)
- Somme Heritage Centre (Newtownards, Co.Down)
- Nature in Art Museum (Gloucester)
- Land of Lost Content (Shropshire)